Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Girl Meets Home For the Holidays

Other than a curious lack of mentioning Morgan and Eric, I thought it was pretty good. And it again made me feel pissed off that Ryder Strong's acting career didn't take out, because he's so damn good.

And Sabrina Carpenter again really showed her ability to play in the big leagues. I really hate to bag on Rowan because she's fine for a Disney Channel kid show, but wow she is consistently blown out of the water whenever it's time for dramatic stuff. Having Sabrina and Ryder in one episode just really emphasized that.

If the show needed a pretty boy, I wish they had just gone with the guy they got for Joshua for Lukas. I mean, really, it's not like it matters that the actor is 17 and looks it. He had wayyyy more charisma and spark than Peyton does.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Should I spoiler tag until it airs on Disney? Maybe just in case...

I think I'm gonna end up shipping Joshua/Maya. And that freaks me out just a little.

Things I liked:
"Two grown men in a girl's bedroom window and nobody thinks that's weird!"
Topanga's bitterness over Shawn. "My whole life."
Calling Cory and Shawn boyfriends.
Why Shawn's not around, and him knowing all about Riley.
"You're Cory with Topanga's hair. You got lucky."
"Minkus reproduced?" with Farkle going to check that he was not cloned.
Alan throwing the present over the couch. It reminded me of him just handing Amy cash on BMW after saying he knew she was watching her weight, so he didn't get her chocolates.
Cory and Shawn sleeping next to each other with the "yip yip yip yip yip."
"Surprise!" Actually, Josh Matthews in general. He gave off the cool uncle and precocious youngest kid vibe with charisma.

The thing that bugged - repeatedly saying "holiday" instead of Christmas. They always said Christmas on Boy Meets World. It's weird that they didn't here. People don't talk like that in a family setting.

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 3

Should I spoiler tag until it airs on Disney? Maybe just in case...

I think I'm gonna end up shipping Joshua/Maya. And that freaks me out just a little.

Things I liked:

"Two grown men in a girl's bedroom window and nobody thinks that's weird!"

Topanga's bitterness over Shawn. "My whole life."

Calling Cory and Shawn boyfriends.

Why Shawn's not around, and him knowing all about Riley.

"You're Cory with Topanga's hair. You got lucky."

"Minkus reproduced?" with Farkle going to check that he was not cloned.

Alan throwing the present over the couch. It reminded me of him just handing Amy cash on BMW after saying he knew she was watching her weight, so he didn't get her chocolates.

Cory and Shawn sleeping next to each other with the "yip yip yip yip yip."

"Surprise!" Actually, Josh Matthews in general. He gave off the cool uncle and precocious youngest kid vibe with charisma.

The thing that bugged - repeatedly saying "holiday" instead of Christmas. They always said Christmas on Boy Meets World. It's weird that they didn't here. People don't talk like that in a family setting.

Guess they don't want to offend others so they're taking the safe route these days. Kind of stinks imo. They've done the same with Halloween in schools. Rather sad :(. I don't mind it being called Christmas.

And Sabrina Carpenter again really showed her ability to play in the big leagues. I really hate to bag on Rowan because she's fine for a Disney Channel kid show, but wow she is consistently blown out of the water whenever it's time for dramatic stuff. Having Sabrina and Ryder in one episode just really emphasized that.

It's akin to that Nik show a few years ago with Ariana Grande and that other girl who wasn't Ariana Grande who was somehow the main star.  Not that Grande had (or has) any dramatic chops, but in her case it was simply that she was far more charismatic (and funny) than the other girl.  It wasn't like the other girl was doing anything wrong. She was just the weaker comedianne/presence.

In this case Sabrina is definitely better on the dramatics, better with the charisma, and while Rowan actually CAN be fairly funny at times, Sabrina is at least as funny, albeit more on the sarcastic side than the goofy.

Was there somebody at Disney Channel who has to approve the scripts that saw the word "Christmas," crossed it out and sais "Sorry, you have to use the word holidays?"

Yep. Good old political correctness. But yet oddly enough they let Halloween slip by. *shrug*

Not that I mind either way tbh.

Yep. Good old political correctness. But yet oddly enough they let Halloween slip by. *shrug*

Not that I mind either way tbh.

I feel like Jacobs done this before. I remember back in BMW a janitor thrown away christmas decorations saying Happy non denomination holiday.

So random thoughts about this ep...

Amy looks amazing! Like she has never aged at all.

Allen...should dye his hair, It looks werid.

Joshua sounds british, it is werid. Also that romance between him and Maya? Super creepy because of the age. He must be in late year of high school? And Maya second year of junior year?

Where can I buy a Corey and Shawn christmas ornament?

So this xmas ep, aired the same time on Riley character bday?

Shawn looks hot!!

Joshua is to darn cool to be a brother of Corey and Eric. No offensive! Also maybe because I'm old, but Joshua looks so tiny compare to Corey and Eric when they were teenagers. Or kids these days just slimmer and tiny?

I was kinda suprise to hear boyfriend jokes on disney channel.

So were is Morgan or Eric? No callback? No refference?

So is Shawn and Riley related? I was little confused when Riley said her father had a second family and Shawn went "ooh" I am confused.

Edited by JellyFishQueen

Rider is still so gorgeous. 

I enjoyed how happy Cory was about Shawn coming to visit. It should just be the Cory/Shawn show forever. The best part was him saying Shawn is his fav. person in the world and Topanga saying my whole life. Hahah.

I was a little confused by the time line. Shawn says he hasnt been to NY for 13 years but then Riley made a comment about him not talking to her when he comes to visit. I find it highly unlikely Cory/Shawn went 13 years without seeing each other. 

Cory's comment that  the end about childhood being over made me sad. 

I didn't get what Shawn/Maya meant when they were talking about their parents. The last "Oh" confused me.

Shawn's reaction to Farkle was great.

Josh is much more entertaining than the wooden block that is Lucas. 

Overall it was a nice episode. But some things were not explained.

Edited by backhometome

Was there somebody at Disney Channel who has to approve the scripts that saw the word "Christmas," crossed it out and sais "Sorry, you have to use the word holidays?"

To be fair, "Home For the Holidays" is a very specific phrase that's been around a lot longer than politically correct-driven non-denominational language.  The song "Home For the Holidays" was released in 1954.

To be fair, "Home For the Holidays" is a very specific phrase that's been around a lot longer than politically correct-driven non-denominational language.  The song "Home For the Holidays" was released in 1954.

I don't think the problem is the episode title. It's that the entire apartment is decorated for Christmas, they trade presents like Christmas, there's no Hanukkah decorations or other holiday decorations, no indication that this celebration in lasting until New Year's, but every single time they mention what they're doing, they say holiday instead. It's just unnatural in a family setting, and kind of surprising when the Matthews always celebrated Christmas before.

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 2

I was a little confused by the time line. Shawn says he hasnt been to NY for 13 years but then Riley made a comment about him not talking to her when he comes to visit. I find it highly unlikely Cory/Shawn went 13 years without seeing each other. 

I think it could happen if someone moves far away and loses track of them.

I think it could happen if someone moves far away and loses track of them.

I get that. People grow apart as they get older. I just didnt think Cory/Shawn would lose track of each other. I totally see Shawn as a traveler but Cory was always his family. IDK I just cant picture Cory/Shawn of all people going 13 years without seeing each other.

Josh>>>>>>>>>>Lucas.

• Love 4

Shawn needs to move into the apartment upstairs and be the wacky neighbor, stat! Best ep yet. Maybe because it was what I think most of us Boy Meets Worlders have been waiting for, but I found it really funny. Was a bit confused with the Shawn Maya window conversation. Were they trying to say that Shawn should be Maya's kind of surrogate dad? Some kind of mentor, adult(ish) male figure? I thought that was Corey, who so far has seemed more like a dad to Maya than to Riley. Regardless of what they were trying to say, I liked it. I think Shawn and Maya worked well together and it was fun to see the parallels with all the "they are us" stuff.

Two eps without the school stuff. I could really get into this version of the show.

• Love 2

I interpreted the 13 years thing as 13 years ago (when Riley was born) was when Shawn decided to move out of the city permanently (assuming he'd lived there since moving at the same time as Cory and Topanga at the end of BMW), but he'd been back for brief visits here and there.

Timeline nitpicking aside, I knew I was going to nerd out over this episode and it didn't disappoint!

• Love 1

Yes, this episode was what I want the show to be. I laughed, I smiled. I don't know. It just felt right, I guess. To me, even Cory and Topanga hadn't been feeling all right with this show until tonight. I guess it could be a case of this show needing more pieces to fit and the missing piece may have been Rider. Even Frakle has better chemistry than Lucas with people on this show. 

Same here. Only thing that was annoying per say was some of the over the topness that happened. But even that didn't really get on my nerves. And to be honest, anytime a past actor comes on the show, it makes it better. The show needs more pieces, they help to make the show work better.

• Love 1

I loved it! It was definitely the best episode of the season.

*Shawn Hunter is back in all of his angsty glory. Man, I missed him. This show needs him, and he fits right in.

*The Cory/Shawn bromance is still as hilariously awesome as ever.

*This episode more than any other felt like BMW, with an equal amount of drama as well as comedy.

*Shawn and Maya have great chemistry. I wish he'd stick around and be her Mr. Turner

*The Cory/Shawn drama being just as attention-getting as the comedy.

* Joshua was cool. He kind of reminded me a bit of Eric before he became so stupid.

*It was nice seeing the parents again.

* Shawn's reaction to Farkle was gold.

Dislikes:

*Riley. I don't like the way she treats the adults. She bosses everyone around (and not just in this episode) and they just go along with it. In addition to that, she is always smiling; usually even in scenes where she is supposed to be upset. 

* Are they not allowed to say the word 'Christmas' or something?

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 2

Also that romance between him and Maya? Super creepy because of the age. He must be in late year of high school? And Maya second year of junior year?

I think Josh is in 10th grade,and the show said Maya is in 7th grade. According to the GMW writers on twitter, Josh is three years older than Maya. He will be a senior in high school when Maya is a freshman in high school. (The child who played Josh in the Boy Meets World series finale was too old.) 

This was my favorite episode. I enjoyed seeing Amy, Alan, and Shawn. Josh was hilarious, and I want him to be in more episodes in season 2.

Excellent episode.  I hope that they can bring Rider in for more episodes.  I'm glad he figured out Minkus connection without any prompting, and the clone line was priceless.

I also wish that they could have done the last part of the Shawn-Maya conversion better.  I think what they were trying to do is that when Maya mentioned the dad's second family to Shawn, he thought she knew (from Riley) about his dad's second family, and then when he figured it out said "oh".  (Although Chet's second family was before Shawn's not after.)

Well, this Uriah Shelton (who played Josh) really nailed it; Peyton Meyer (Lucas) had to look at this episode and be a little concerned.  Since Josh is 17, they could have him start college at NYU next year and be frequently recurring.  But no, let's not go there with Josh and Maya.

Finally, I agree that Eric and Morgan not being mentioned was disappointing, but this does allow the writers more flexibility when if they are able to have either of them guest star.

• Love 1

I loved it. I hope Shawn sticks around and gets his family. Maybe he can hook up with Maya's mom. I liked seeing Alan and Amy again but it was weird that Morgan and Eric didn't even get a name check. The Cory Matthews/Shawn Hunter bromance continues on unchecked, though I did like Cory's acknowledgment of how Topanga is an amazing partner. 

This episode is what I was hoping for when I heard they were launching Girl Meets World. It's still not as good as BMW but it's getting closer.

• Love 1
Yes, this episode was what I want the show to be. I laughed, I smiled. I don't know. It just felt right, I guess. To me, even Cory and Topanga hadn't been feeling all right with this show until tonight. I guess it could be a case of this show needing more pieces to fit and the missing piece may have been Rider. Even Frakle has better chemistry than Lucas with people on this show.

That's what I thought too re: 13 years. It also could've been something that wasn't mentioned until this ep. 

I agree..Rider/Shawn is so ingrained into the DNA of the BMW universe that not having him on this show was odd..I think the same is for Eric but to a lesser extent. 

I liked that while Cory had the focus of Shawn's screen time, they also referenced just how much he was the Matthews 5th child and how he was Topanga's friend too. 

I think they show might be keeping Josh as a 15 year old since he was born in 1999 on Boy Meets World. And the girls were born in 2001? Yeah I hope the show doesn't go there with Maya and Josh 

Edited by gator12

While I liked the intent behind the whole confession stuff, it was really clunky.  That last part with Shawn and Maya was so confusing, were they trying to say he was her father?

Great episode, though.  Been waiting for this reunion since the show was announced.  Loved seeing Cory, Shawn, and Topanga again, but I wished Shawn and Topanga had talked more.  

I was surprised at how much I liked Josh and yes, he makes a much better impression than Lucas.  Uncle Josh can definitely make more appearances, but not hooking up with Maya, because that's just wrong!

While I find it weird that Shawn and Cory haven't spoken much, I can definitely see Shawn leaving New York.  Shawn's first instinct was to run when things got scary, and not knowing his place once Cory and Topanga became parents could have triggered that.  That's why his career works for him; he's never tied down to one place.  Although, I initially figured he disliked Riley because she represented something he couldn't have, like he was sterile or something.

I never got the idea that Cory and Shawn haven't seen each other in 13 years and am kinda surprised anyone did. Shawn moved away from NYC the day Riley was born, but Riley had certainly met him before, enough to get the idea he didn't like her. He probably visited occasionally. Plus, this was the first time Cory and Topanga were hosting Christmas - er, "the holidays" - so I think it's likely Shawn came to Alan and Amy's house in Philadelphia most years.

Anyway, I loved this! So much nostalgic goodness! Would've liked an Eric mention (or Morgan, though I never cared much about her). Rider and Sabrina worked well off each other. Uncle Josh is a little cutie. Cory & Shawn 4-Evah!

*Two grown men sittin' in a girl's bedroom window! And nobody thinks that's weird!*

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 8

Shawn didn't say he hadn't seen Cory in 13 years; he said he'd "been away" (i.e. out of NYC) 13 years. Which Cory assumed was "three weeks". There had to have been some contact between the two for Cory to not notice. I also agree with the idea that Shawn probably showed up at the occasional gather at Amy and Alan's home.

As for Shawn's window scene with Maya, it was the culmination of Riley's plan once she realized that Shawn missed the idea of having children of his own. She needed him to admit it to Cory, who was the could one to get him to open up to the idea of actually attempting to be a father-figure in a child's life. Then, she presented him with an obvious candidate: Maya, who is growing in a situation extremely similar to Shawn's own childhood, which Shawn says he would never let happen. If he's willing to be involved in a child's life so that they wouldn't have to "grow up like that," then maybe he could start with Maya. Childless, meet Fatherless. That was Riley's scheme. (ETA: And now I keep hearing "He's her Mr. Turner" in my head in Phoebe Buffay's "He's her lobster" voice.)

Everything is a bit clunkier on GMW than BMW; but I'm getting used to it, and I really enjoyed this episode, especially from the diner scene onward. And it's going to grow on me on rewatch, I can already tell. I'd love for Shawn to recur and pop up to spend more time with Maya (and Cory, obviously).

Edited by RandomMe
  • Love 3

I think Rowan Blanchard will only improve with age. Honestly, in the early years of BMW, Ben Savage annoyed me until his voice changed.

I loved Shawn and Topanga's Mrs. Cory/Mr. Cory exchange.

Edited by BigPaul25
  • Love 1

It's akin to that Nik show a few years ago with Ariana Grande and that other girl who wasn't Ariana Grande who was somehow the main star.  Not that Grande had (or has) any dramatic chops, but in her case it was simply that she was far more charismatic (and funny) than the other girl.  It wasn't like the other girl was doing anything wrong. She was just the weaker comedianne/presence.

In this case Sabrina is definitely better on the dramatics, better with the charisma, and while Rowan actually CAN be fairly funny at times, Sabrina is at least as funny, albeit more on the sarcastic side than the goofy.

I disagree about Adriana Grande. Good for her for hooking up with a good team that produced a best selling album, but aside from being comic relief she never really overshadowed Victoria Justice. The more apt comparison to Sabrina Carpenter  is the third girl lead, Elizabeth Gilies, who played Jade. She managed to inject a lot of pathos into would could have been an unlikable character and almost stole the show (and definitely her scenes) from Victoria.

• Love 4

Shawn didn't say he hadn't seen Cory in 13 years; he said he'd "been away" (i.e. out of NYC) 13 years. Which Cory assumed was "three weeks". There had to have been some contact between the two for Cory to not notice. I also agree with the idea that Shawn probably showed up at the occasional gather at Amy and Alan's home.

As for Shawn's window scene with Maya, it was the culmination of Riley's plan once she realized that Shawn missed the idea of having children of his own. She needed him to admit it to Cory, who was the could one to get him to open up to the idea of actually attempting to be a father-figure in a child's life. Then, she presented him with an obvious candidate: Maya, who is growing in a situation extremely similar to Shawn's own childhood, which Shawn says he would never let happen. If he's willing to be involved in a child's life so that they wouldn't have to "grow up like that," then maybe he could start with Maya. Childless, meet Fatherless. That was Riley's scheme. (ETA: And now I keep hearing "He's her Mr. Turner" in my head in Phoebe Buffay's "He's her lobster" voice.)

Everything is a bit clunkier on GMW than BMW; but I'm getting used to it, and I really enjoyed this episode, especially from the diner scene onward. And it's going to grow on me on rewatch, I can already tell. I'd love for Shawn to recur and pop up to spend more time with Maya (and Cory, obviously).

You hit the nail on the head. That's what I was thinking. BMW didn't have as much of that going on. I hope GMW shakes off more of it. I think it's good, but it can get better imo.

I loved it. I hope Shawn sticks around and gets his family. Maybe he can hook up with Maya's mom. I liked seeing Alan and Amy again but it was weird that Morgan and Eric didn't even get a name check. The Cory Matthews/Shawn Hunter bromance continues on unchecked, though I did like Cory's acknowledgment of how Topanga is an amazing partner. 

This episode is what I was hoping for when I heard they were launching Girl Meets World. It's still not as good as BMW but it's getting closer.

A while back I read episode descriptions for pretty much the whole season and one episode was Riley and Maya trying to get Shawn and Maya's mom together.

While this show can still be clunky, I do think it's finally finding it's stride and I love that we are now at the point where we have BMW people popping in and part of the action.  Plus I think they are doing better with making Cory and Topanga more a part of the action as opposed to just the hapless parents to whatever craziness is going on with Riley and Auggie that week.

It took me a few seconds when Josh showed up to even remember that there was another Matthews child.  Also all through the episode I kept wondering where Eric was and while nobody was mentioning him.  It wasn't until I read here that I realized I had forgotten about Morgan's existence completely.

I think Rowan Blanchard is an adorable human being and she's fine here, but I do agree that Sabrina Carpenter tends to steal the show.

Was there somebody at Disney Channel who has to approve the scripts that saw the word "Christmas," crossed it out and said, "Sorry, you have to use the word holidays?"

On "Dog With a Blog," the family was celebrating Christmas and used the word "Christmas" throughout the episode. (BTW, for those who watch "Dog With a Blog," there is a forum for it.)

That last part with Shawn and Maya was so confusing, were they trying to say he was her father?

That's what I thought too, but it can't be. If it is, then it makes Shawn out to be a total shit who abandoned either his newborn baby or his pregnant girlfriend. Presumably, Topanga and Maya's mother were pregnant at the same time, so he had to be aware of one if he was aware of the other.

Besides, we really know the reason Shawn left NYC once Cory had a baby -- he was fine sharing his true love with a wife, but could no longer do it now that there was a baby. If this were another type of show on another type of channel, I would love to see the tri-marriage of Cory, Topanga, and Shawn and their wacky adventures as they navigate polyamory.

I liked Maya's instant crush on Josh and her jokes about becoming Riley's aunt. It's the same thing when Max on "2 Broke Girls" jokes about being Caroline's stepmother every time Caroline's father is in an episode. I could 'ship them, but then where would that leave Lucas?  

I think it's obvious that Sabrina Carpenter has chemistry with anyone she plays against, except, oddly, Rider Strong. I found their interactions very awkward and off-putting.

Shawn Hunter is back in all of his angsty glory.

Which is probably why every slash fan fiction writer loves him.

I disagree about Adriana Grande. Good for her for hooking up with a good team that produced a best selling album, but aside from being comic relief she never really overshadowed Victoria Justice. 

I'd be more convinced if I'd seen any indication that Victoria Justice still has a career.

Frankly I imagine her having an Ariana Grande dart board or something at this point.  

• Love 1

On "Dog With a Blog," the family was celebrating Christmas and used the word "Christmas" throughout the episode. (BTW, for those who watch "Dog With a Blog," there is a forum for it.)

SINCE WHEN?!?!?!?!?

• Love 1

I adored this episode (I only watch this show sporadically, the ones with alumnis) but it's been a year to so since I've watched any BMW (and I am due for a rewatch stat) but I don't remember Amy being so cool to Topanga at all? When did that happen? and maybe Morgan was busy at college (probably not, but that is what i am going to go with)

Also, Rider Strong and Sabrina Carpenter stole the episode completely. they were amazing together. 

Riley's whole plot with Shawn was that she thought he had been cold to her every other time they had seen each other before this episode. So if Riley has met and seen Shawn multiple times before, then of course Cory and Shawn have also seen each other since Shawn moved out of the city

Edited by Bedlampuhedron

I really loved this episode.  The only thing that bothered me is that Alan and Amy were afterthoughts and Amy was written so out of character.  The only time she was really rude to Topanga was when their almost elopement happened and at what they thought was the celebration party, Amy said "Why couldn't you have just gone to Yale?"  She was always very warm towards Topanga, so I wonder if they'll touch on what happened next season.  

The writers have already said that the two worlds will bridge together more in Season 2 and that we will find out some stuff pertaining to the original cast.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Shawn/Maya thing.  I think I'm holding out for Shawn/Angela, and Angela can't be tied down to a 13 year old!  

Loved, loved, loved the Shawn and Cory scenes.  I squealed and cried like the 13 year old that I was when the show ended.  Rider and Ben are a fabulous pair and I wish they were the ones who were starring in this show.  They're perfect.  Josh is perfect as well.  More Josh, please. 

• Love 5

I adored this episode (I only watch this show sporadically, the ones with alumnis) but it's been a year to so since I've watched any BMW (and I am due for a rewatch stat) but I don't remember Amy being so cool to Topanga at all? When did that happen? 

I don't think we need to look for continuity with that.  It was simply a joke playing off mother-in-law cliches.  They didn't ride it too hard, so I think we can just dismiss it as nothing but that.

I really loved this episode.  The only thing that bothered me is that Alan and Amy were afterthoughts and Amy was written so out of character.  The only time she was really rude to Topanga was when their almost elopement happened and at what they thought was the celebration party, Amy said "Why couldn't you have just gone to Yale?"  She was always very warm towards Topanga, so I wonder if they'll touch on what happened next season.

I agree that the writing her didn't allow anything that seemed all that real or solid with Alan and Amy.  But at the same time I think that's why we shouldn't take anything we saw betweeen Topanga and Amy all that seriously.  Amy was serving as a plot device/punchline here and little more.  Alan at least had a few father/son moments, but Amy wasn't served nearly as well by the script.

Not that the episode had time for it.  I actually think they should have made it a 1 hour episode as a 1-off.

• Love 6

I'd be more convinced if I'd seen any indication that Victoria Justice still has a career.

Frankly I imagine her having an Ariana Grande dart board or something at this point.  

But it is in music (and I don't think she got to flex her voice that much, ironic since it was a show about a performance arts high school), not acting that AG had her success.  Besides, I was making the point that Sabrina Carpenter is a lot like Elizabeth Gillies, who ended up being the one on Victorious that eclipsed Victoria Justice's character, because EG, like SC , was the strongest actor.

• Love 1

I've watched the ep three times now. It seriously made my whole day. Ryder Strong looks good and he and Ben Savage haven't missed a beat.

I was slightly bothered by the generic holiday mentions even though it was obviously Christmas.

I liked the inclusion of more mature topics like Alan being an older dad and Shawn leaving the city.

Joshua is great. He should stay. I did not miss the school setting at all.

Shawn slayed me in almost all of his scenes especially when he said "I don't mean to" and his "We can't do it!"

The only real sour note for me was Topanga. Thirteen episodes in and DF still seems awkward/uncomfortable in front of the camera. She doesn't embody a grown up Topanga to me.

• Love 2

The only real sour note for me was Topanga. Thirteen episodes in and DF still seems awkward/uncomfortable in front of the camera. She doesn't embody a grown up Topanga to me.

Interesting observation, since I think she's had more on-camera time in the years since BMW then Ben Savage has.  I don't think the problem is with her, I think it's still with the writers not knowing what to do with her.

Maybe it is with her in the sense that she's appears to be playing Danielle Fishel as much or more than she is Topanga.  That snarky wise-ass stuff is her.  And if it's coming out this much it's because Topanga's adult character is so (overly) loosely defined.  While is why I actually didn't mind the "nervous about the Holiday dinner" angle with her, because at least it gave her something to play that wasn't totally dependent on playing off Auggie or Corey.

I personally think they need to put her in that pudding shop pronto. This lawyer thing ain't working out. 

It might if they ever actually showed it.

Admittedly it's hard.  People don't really think about how little time these shows have (between 20 and 23 minutes--GMW doesn't seem to have standardized, but most half hour shows settle around 22).  Frankly there isn't TIME (nevermind budget) to show much of Topanga's life in her own sets and subplots).  But there's got to be SOMETHING they could do to imply it a bit more than they have.  We never hear about her needing to rush or risk being late for Court.  We don't see her trying to concentrate and write a brief on her laptop while Auggie gets in the way and distracts her.  We don't see lots of books or loose papers lying around her living space.  And because we don't even get those token momentary things... that's why it seems fake. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I just gotta say that Rider Strong was really great in this episode, and I agree with the others who said he brought something to the show that it seemed like it was missing. As unrealistic as it might be, it really would be awesome if Shawn became the "wacky neighbor". Hey, Feeny followed the kids to every school they went to in BMW and we didn't have a problem with that

Edited by Bedlampuhedron
  • Love 3