Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: Girl Meets Home For the Holidays

Shawn said he hasn't LIVED in NYC in thirteen years. That doesn't mean him and Cory hadnt seen each other since. I gathered that he's been in and out of their lives. Riley even says he doesn't like me and that he's been around throughout the whole episode. It's Maya who hasn't met him.

Amy Matthews was always the one to not approve of Topanga. Obviously, that's her first son to get married. Eventually Alan talked her down during a BMW episode, but those feelings don't go away. So of course she is skeptical about Topanga hosting Christmas. I thought that side story was spot on.

Danielle Fischel aka Topanga still seems lost or forced I agree. Where as Cory and Shawn seemed like they haven't missed a step. The play on the BMW stuff like the sleeping and the "they're us?" was hilarious. As a BMW fan, I loved that.

I think the Josh/Maya thing is simply a crush that Maya has. Josh is too old and the writers have even said that he's not into it the way Maya is.

I could go on and on about this episode. I'm just happy that Shawn and Eric (Cory's brother) will be more apart of the story in season two. And lets not forget that Shawn is due for another episode. Also Josh is apparently in like two more episodes and is an even bigger part of the story according to the writers.

Every episode of this show gets better and better. Michael Jacobs and his writING crew...gah damn

As a former BMW fan, I admit to squeeing when Shawn walked in and shut the door.  The whole "they are us" comparison was cute and I laughed out loud at the "yeah"/"yeah" stuff with Shawn and Maya.  If Maya was an orphan, I could see them setting up Shawn adopting her.  As it stands, though, I am not sure exactly what Maya needs Shawn in her life for.  Maya has a parent (albeit one who isn't around much) but she also has the Matthews family (just as Shawn did back in the day), so why does she need Shawn as some kind of surrogate father (isn't that what Corey is to her?!).  Alan had 4 kids of his own so he wasn't as close to Shawn as Corey is to Maya.  She is not lacking a parental role model.  *shrug*  Guess I don't need to understand it, I just have to like it (which I do).

Cool Uncle Josh was awesome, but like everyone else, I was bugged that Eric and Morgan weren't even mentioned.  A throwaway line about them not being able to come to NY for Christmas would have been all that was necessary.  The writers wouldn't even have needed to specify where they were (leaving it open for future guest starring roles), just have Amy mention how she hated that all her kids couldn't be there for the holidays and Alan say something about Morgan and Eric being really busy but at least they had called that morning.  See how easy, writers? 

Two grown men sitting in a girl's bedroom window

and nobody think that that's weird

And *wink*

Completely awesome there, cool Uncle Josh!  Maya having a thing for Josh is completely understandable....he's cute and funny and what teeny bopper wouldn't be crushing on him.  Now, him returning the feelings is a little weird, considering what their ages are supposed to be, but I took his "you grew up gorgeous" to just be  sweet comment that an older guy would throw to a younger girl who he is fond of.  I didn't see him looking at her as possible dating material....at least not yet.  In another 2 years or so, it might be a possibility.

I would so watch the Corey and Shawn show, with Shawn as a cop and Corey running a deli and nobody talking but them.  :)  I loved the "my whole life" comments by Topanga and the hug she and Shawn exchanged....Topanga isn't JUST his BFF's wife.  Shawn and Topanga were friends throughout their childhood, as well and I thought that came through nicely.

• Love 1
Maybe it is with her in the sense that she's appears to be playing Danielle Fishel as much or more than she is Topanga.  That snarky wise-ass stuff is her.

I do get the feeling with her more than the rest, that she isn't really "in character" most of the time. The girls break character at times, most notably the paint fight where they were supposed to be mad but both were laughing, though I could see to friends start laughing at how absurd a paint fight was so it wasn't too bad. But IDK, there's something about Danielle, a sort of self awareness that she's reprising a beloved role, that isn't giving Topanga a sense of actual character. It does come across as an awkwardness on camera which is odd since she's got far more experience than the girls. I will say, though, it's nice that Rowan has that same awkward self awareness. Makes them really seem related. lol I do think Rowan is doing a good job, she's perfect as Riley, she is Cory with Topanga's hair. (which I think sums up their characters, Cory has personality, Topanga has great hair.)

I agree with comments about Sabrina. That girl is a natural. Even when she's breaking character (usually just chuckling at what is happening on set) she does it in a way that doesn't feel unnatural. She's got that natural charisma that Ryder also has. I LOVED their scene's together and would totally watch Cory and Shawn raise Riley and Maya in New York City, and Nobody But Them Can Talk!

I think the lack of mention of Eric or Morgan has a lot to do with this being taped a while back. Will Friedel's lack of desire to appear on the reboot up until very, very recently probably was part of it. He hasn't appeared on a show or movie in a really long time and has really just stuck with voice work pretty much since the original went off the air. From the initial announcement of the reboot he said he wasn't interested. The writers and producers knew from day one that old characters like Shawn and Eric would be something us old viewers would want to see, but if they constantly wrote references of those characters into the show and couldn't deliver the actors, it would make it worse. I think Rider was at least potentially open to it, and obviously taped a few episodes, but Will was pretty set on not appearing from everything I read up until the last few weeks when it was announced he would appear next season. As for Morgan, let's be honest, was anyone really a huge Morgan fan? I mean the character was like 6, disappeared for almost an entire season, and came back 12. She was rarely part of a main storyline, if ever. I just don't think there was a big clamoring for a Morgan return (other than the actress who played Morgan who has said all along she would love to come back). 

Am I the only one who was sort of annoyed with Maya in this episode? I don't know, it seemed so forced that she would talk to Shawn like that, asking him why he doesn't like Riley, that he makes Riley feel bad, in front of other people, five minutes after they met.

Loved Josh. And Shawn + Corey 4-EVAH.

• Love 1

Mm yep I'm not seeing the whole 13 year old fixes the adult problems. I know if my 13 year old niece spoke to me like RiIey being bossy it wouldn't get far. Too disrespectful for me. Riley getting all little miss bossy won't get too far in the popularity stakes.

Turns out Shawn knows a hell of a lot more about Riley than Maya ever did :)

Yes it annoyed me that Maya was all getting in Shawns face about why this and why not that.

Who doesn't like Riley? Well me for one...I hear in S2 they intend to fix some things.

Don't forget we are only on S1 still..

Minkus or Farkle?? Oh yeah.... Keep Farkle about and don't do a vanish like they did Minkus I'm starting to like the little guy.

Good to see Shawn and Corey together again :)

The whole "he is not my boyfriend" was a direct hit at the rumor mills flaming the writers in BMW about making Shawn and Corey near gay (before the flaming starts google Shawn and Corey gay) you'll see what I mean.

Good to see grandparents and Josh but didn't make enough of them and Topanga just doesn't seem to be getting into the series at all.

Edited by maraleia
spelling

I think the Josh/Maya thing is simply a crush that Maya has. Josh is too old and the writers have even said that he's not into it the way Maya is.

It was presented as humorous that the 13 year old girl was fixating on the college age kid, so I hope the actual 13 year olds watching this weren't somehow taking the wrong message from it and seeing some show romantic endgame (ignoring the fact that the actual two actors are only about two years apart in age--the characters are more like five years apart, and critical ones at that age).

Edited by Kromm

How is Josh a college age kid?  Wasn't he born in the last (or second to last) season of BMW?  It was Valentine's Day, so it was either Valentine's Day 1999 or Valentine's Day 2000.  Either way, he's 3 years old than Riley/Maya, tops.

How is Josh a college age kid?  Wasn't he born in the last (or second to last) season of BMW?  It was Valentine's Day, so it was either Valentine's Day 1999 or Valentine's Day 2000.  Either way, he's 3 years old than Riley/Maya, tops.

Didn't they skew the timeline of the show off by a year or two from reality?  I seem to recall math that didn't quite add up for Riley's age otherwise.

Actually, maybe I'm mis-remembering and they took her age BACK a year to make more sense of it (because the actress is a year older than the character, it seems). That would make more sense.

And actually, regardless of Josh's age, I suppose either way they have some episode planned where Maya gets disappointed with her crush.  It's the only storyline that makes any real sense, be they attributing that rejection to age, or to other things.

Edited by Kromm

I thought josh was age progressed before the show ended. So even though he was born in the second last season, when it ended he was three or four.

A small clue about Josh's age is when he first comes in the apartment he tosses a set of keys to Alan. Since those were probably car keys I think it's safe to say that Josh was parking the car so he's at least 16 years old, so there's at least a 3 year age difference between him and Maya (it won't happen but you gotta admit they'd make a cute couple). But I do agree that Uriah was perfectly cast as Josh and I'm really glad that he'll be back (I can't wait to see him and Eric share a scene)

As for the show still finding its footing (I'm showing my age here), I recall that when BMW started out, it also took awhile to get the kinks out. Most tv show do. Hey I remember when Star Trek: The Next Generation first came on and it took 3 seasons for them to hit their stride, so my advice is to just be patience, it'll be worth it.

I was kinda suprise to hear boyfriend jokes on disney channel.

Disney Channel shows aren't nearly as innocent as some people might think, and haven't been for a while. If anything, the network's writers seem to like to see what they can slip in. Like this line from Suite Life on Deck:

"Paris is full of men. And I plan on shaking my bon bons at each and every one of them."

And they weren't talking about chocolates, but about exactly what it sounds like.

On a recent Jessie, we learn the wacky neighbor likes coming up with excuses for the doorman to carry her up the stairs fireman style. Because she likes the view. And he mentions still having bruises from last time.

And on Liv & Maddie, the brother recently hit on his mom. Well, she had her back to him and, from behind, he just thought she was a "hot girl." He doesn't realize she's his mom until he delivers his pickup line and she turns around. And they are both traumatized. 

I've actually been wondering if, because of the network, the GMW writers didn't know they could be pushing things more than they have. But that they'd eventually realize they could, and that would show in season 2.

Edited by Bitterswete
  • Love 1

First ep of the new series that I've watched more than once.

As far as the Amy/Topanga relationship goes, I think it's pretty classic mother-in-law/daughter-in-law interactions. MILs like to snipe their DILs. MILs really don't like to give up the control of the traditions and DILs just want a little space to call their own.

re: Shawn/Maya, while it's probably more common for mentors to be same gender, I don't see any reason why Shawn couldn't be someone who gives Maya opportunities. They both have the restless spirit. As Shawn travels, if he's in contact with Maya, he's opening the world up to her in a small way. Having a consistent adult presence in her life would be a nice thing for her. And in his present "sad-I'm-not-a-dad" state, it would be nice for him too.

Edited by wagthedog
  • Love 2
Was there somebody at Disney Channel who has to approve the scripts that saw the word "Christmas," crossed it out and said, "Sorry, you have to use the word holidays?"

And on "I Didn't Do It," not only did they talk about Christmas, Lindy sang "Silent Night," which takes Christmas from Santa and elves to the Holy Family.

The whole "he is not my boyfriend" was a direct hit at the rumor mills flaming the writers in BMW about making Shawn and Corey near gay (before the flaming starts google Shawn and Corey gay) you'll see what I mean.

If "Boy Meets World" were on ABC Family today, Shawn would probably have been written as gay, and his angst wouldn't have just come from his lousy home life & upbringing but also from his burgeoning sexuality. 

Edited by SmithW6079

Actually, maybe I'm mis-remembering and they took her age BACK a year to make more sense of it (because the actress is a year older than the character, it seems). That would make more sense.

From what I remember, the show was originally supposed to have an older brother for Riley, and he was supposed to be 13.  Then the older brother idea got canned, and I assumed it was because the timeline didn't work (and maybe because they're already having a hard time figuring out something for the rest of the actors on the show to do, i.e. Topanga). Riley's character recently turned 13, as of December 8th or whenever Shawn said her birthday was.

Oh I am right there with you. It's funny, on my first watch, I thought, "Well, it's no BMW, but that the last half was decent; I'll watch that part again." After watching the 2nd half again, I wanted to start from the beginning. Then whenever I wanted to unwind or watch something fun and relaxing, this seemed like the only logical choice on my DVR (shows you how much drama tv is taking up my storage space). It's just a sweet little episode. Cory and Shawn make me happy, Riley and Maya make me happy, I like watching Shawn with the girls, Farkle's interruption (and Shawn's startled reaction) is simultaneously hilarious and endearing -- they just hit all the right notes with this one, and I'll probably be going back to it a dozen times more for rest of the holidays.

• Love 1

Oh Lord, the Farkle reaction!  "Corey, what is that there"?"   Shawn's face was priceless!  I also loved "You're Corey...with Topanga's hair" with that sweet Shawn smile.  Seeing all the old characters made it just awesome.

• Love 3

Oh Lord, the Farkle reaction!  "Corey, what is that there"?"   Shawn's face was priceless!  I also loved "You're Corey...with Topanga's hair" with that sweet Shawn smile.  Seeing all the old characters made it just awesome.

Yea it was XD. The whole bit was perfect. And it was awesome to see them together again.

One thing that is really bugging me (and I know I CANT be the only one that noticed this)....

When Maya rings the bell, Corey answers it with "Shawn?" and Maya replies with her name.  When it buzzes again, Corey says "Shawn!" while next to the Christmas tree, then walks to the box and his father says "No.  It's your parents."  Corey was nowhere near the speaker box ("let me explain how a speaker box works" indeed.  LOL).  Every time I watch this episode (and it is currently on my TV for it's 17th viewing), that bugs the crap out of me!

Edited by ladyrott
  • Love 1

One thing that is really bugging me (and I know I CANT be the only one that noticed this)....

When Maya rings the bell, Corey answers it with "Sean?" and Maya replies with her name.  When it buzzes again, Corey says "Sean!" while next to the Christmas tree, then walks to the box and his father says "No.  It's your parents."  Corey was nowhere near the speaker box ("let me explain how a speaker box works" indeed.  LOL).  Every time I watch this episode (and it is currently on my TV for it's 17th viewing), that bugs the crap out of me!

That's Cory being Cory :P. But tbh, he gets on my nerves less than Riley. Riley takes that to the next level O_O.

If "Boy Meets World" were on ABC Family today, Shawn would probably have been written as gay, and his angst wouldn't have just come from his lousy home life & upbringing but also from his burgeoning sexuality. 

Note no spell check here :)

Yep when I had my back surgery I was out for some months and I fanficed the BMW entire series, filled in most of the plot holes and addressed the whole after 17 years "let me touch something" issue.

And I killed Sean off after they moved to NY due to a drug and alcohol problems. Lucky I pulled that off the net lol.

Because of this I do have some interest in how GMW goes as a series.

I also fanficed the Farsacape series but that's another story

Oh, I know the "Shawn?!" thing is Corey being Corey, but how heck did the parents HEAR him say Shawn (and thus know to say "No. It's your parents.")  when he was nowhere near the speaker box?!

Edited by ladyrott

That "Cory and Shawn in the biiiig city" song seemed like something you would see those two singing in the early BMW years. I love it!

I also really enjoyed the Cory and Shawn 4-Eva ornament being hung in front of the Cory and Topanga Wedding ornament. Poor Topanga. She just can't compete with the bromance.

Edited by commadrama
  • Love 2

That "Cory and Shawn in the biiiig city" song seemed like something you would see those two singing in the early BMW years. I love it!

I also really enjoyed the Cory and Shawn 4-Eva ornament being hung in front of the Cory and Topanga Wedding ornament. Poor Topanga. She just can't compete with the bromance.

Exactly! XD It was just too dang cute :P.

I liked Josh's "Two Grown Men in a Girl's Bedroom Window", too.  :)  I got a big laugh every time Topanga said "my whole life" to the look Riley would be giving her whenever Corey said something about Shawn and Topanga.  I did like that she used the same words when Corey made his little speech.  So sweet.  I must admit, I am not missing Lucas.  I love me some Farkle so I would be disappointed if non-school episodes excluded him.  They have previously acted as though Farkle, Lucas, Maya and Riley are all really good friends so I am kind of surprised we didn't see him.

Edited by ladyrott
  • Love 1
I must admit, I am not missing Lucas.  I love me some Farkle so I would be disappointed if non-school episodes excluded him.  They have previously acted as though Farkle, Lucas, Maya and Riley are all really good friends so I am kind of surprised we didn't see him.

My thought was that he went back to Texas for Christmas.  

• Love 1

I KNOW Christmas is over and I KNOW I should delete this episode from the DVR, but I just cant do it.  LOL  Every time I watch it, I notice something new.  Today's revelation....I liked how mature Riley looked (and sounded) when she parroted Cory's "You got this, buddy" to Maya.  Her expression and tone were more mature than usual and I actually felt like I was watching a 14/15 year old instead of a 10 year old (yes, I know the character is only 13 but she always seems so young).

• Love 1

I loved this episode! It brought me back to the good old days… LOL! Rider Strong/Shawn is super-hot!

But I hated how Riley and Maya talked to Shawn and Cory…I mean who talks to their dad/friend’s dad/dad’s friend like that? There’s sassy and then there’s just plain rude.

I think both Sabrina and Rachel are amazing actresses. Sabrina just oozes cool. Rachel gets flak for being awkward and goofy on-camera but that’s her character! She’s the carbon copy of Cory. If you watch some of her interviews, she comes across as poised and sophisticated – which just shows what a good actress she is. Damn these kids make me feel old! I can't believe I'm watching a Disney TV show at this age.

Edited by princessbroccoli
  • Love 2

I will agree about the way Maya/Riley talked to Shawn/Cory.  I am a Disney addict and it's kind of a theme with their shows.  Many of the kids on these shows talk to the adults....well, like kids dream of talking to adults (guess that's why the shows are geared to kids).  If I talked to my parents the way Riley talked to Cory/Shawn, I would still be grounded 30 years later!  They definitely make a joke of the way Cory is "trapped" in the house by his family, but honestly, what father would allow his child to keep badgering his guest about "When is my birthday?"?!   And Maya (who I love!) and her "You're great in the stories.  I don't see it yet", was so incredibly rude.  I don't care if he IS hurting her best friend's feelings, you simply don't talk to an adult like that when you are 13 years old.

• Love 1

In rewatching Boy Meets World, I saw the original episode with Cory and Shawn snoring and yipping, and what do you know, it's also from a Christmas episode. I don't know if that's intentional, but that was some nice continuity.

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 2