Type keyword(s) to search

Shameless Fame Whores: Sister Wives in the Media

• Start Topic

That sound fishy...more polygamy persecution? I'm LDS and there were no questions for my conversion about polygamy that I can recall. Well, who knows? The Browns tend to say what suits them. Hopefully Maddie is different but...

You also don't have a family of fools on a TV show and semi-lobbying for polygamous rights. I can see where the LDS church would ask her what her views are on polygamy, and if she plans to every live that way. If she says she's ok with it, it clashes with LDS teachings, so I have to side with the LDS church if she's denied membership unless she makes it clear cut that she does not believe in that lifestyle and will never live it. 

• Love 1

That's too bad about Maddie and the LDS church. She seemed like she had found her home.  She also said in those tweets about being rejected from the church that "after two years" she and Caleb began dating. That's a little weird...so they liked each other since she was 17? I'm not sure what she meant. 

That's too bad about Maddie and the LDS church. She seemed like she had found her home.  She also said in those tweets about being rejected from the church that "after two years" she and Caleb began dating. That's a little weird...so they liked each other since she was 17? I'm not sure what she meant. 

She's been dating this guy since she was 17? That's kind of sick. What kind of 30 something guy wants to date a 17 year old?

• Love 1

I am equal parts baffled and mesmerized and disgusted by the whole catfishing of Meri thing. 

I also can't figure out what's what in the whole scenario. I'm reading that Sam claims to have a sex tape, but other sources are saying that Sam is actually a woman. I'm pretty sure Meri would have realized that Sam was all vagina-having if they had sex. I'm just so confused.

If this is all true though it does explain Meri's permanent scowl and her inability to zap out of zombie-mode. She's either wickedly medicated or the worst 'reality' actor I've ever seen. She can't even get within ten feet of any adult in her family without her negative body language going into hyper-drive. She basically looks like she hates everyone and every thing and every second she spends with her peeps.

You have to pick out the truth nuggets in the Catfishing story. The person is a woman that portrayed herself as a young, wealthy man ( Sam) on social media to Meri Brown. They developed a long distance friendship and then an emotional affair. Not in person, however, this catfish person also portrayed herself as Sam's assistant ( (Lindsay), and Meri and Lindsay DID go to Disney together, and other activities. I believe most of the voicemails that were released are real. The big question for me, is did Robyn betray Meri? One of Robyn's friends was perpetuating the catfish story, and covering for the the Sam/Lindsay person. Was she acting on behalf of Robyn- to get Meri out of the family?

• Love 1

You also don't have a family of fools on a TV show and semi-lobbying for polygamous rights. I can see where the LDS church would ask her what her views are on polygamy, and if she plans to every live that way. If she says she's ok with it, it clashes with LDS teachings, so I have to side with the LDS church if she's denied membership unless she makes it clear cut that she does not believe in that lifestyle and will never live it. 

My quote feature has returned!

That is true...the LDS church might question her extra but if she says she does not plan on living polygamy, then I don't see what the tangle is?  Plenty of people have family doing all sorts of things that we don't do. 

That Darger boy converted and is serving a LDS mission!  He comes from a well known plyg family and the LDS seemed fine with him.  He is even male and needs to hold priesthood etc.  To serve a mission, you need to go through the Temple which is way more involved than a simple baptism.

What's the big issue with Maddie? 

Maybe she is not sure about polygamy or maybe she changed her mind about joining and wanted some drama? 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 2

I know what you are saying...females often get the short end of the stick in religion. 

But this does seem off to me.  The LDS LOVE to do bapstims and a plyg reality "star"? That's a nice promo for the LDS rather than "we don't accept you". I'm LDS and I have never heard of someone not being baptized because the LDS had an issue with a family.  The Temple recommend?  That's a more involved process so that I could buy.  A baptism?  Just not feeling it...

Still think it's Brown drama.  No matter how level headed Maddie seems, she still grew up with that polygamist persecution syndrome that the Browns love so much. It probably rubbed off on her. 

• Love 3

Maddie tweeted that she is not joining the LDS church.  It seems her family is being held against her.  She said she and her fiance are going to a regular Christian church.

Personal opinion, I think it would be good for her to break ties with LDS/FLDS/AUB and attend a nice liberal Christian church that is accepting of all people.

I also can't figure out what's what in the whole scenario. I'm reading that Sam claims to have a sex tape, but other sources are saying that Sam is actually a woman. I'm pretty sure Meri would have realized that Sam was all vagina-having if they had sex. I'm just so confused.

Well if she can't tell the difference what does that say about Kody...

• Love 5

Or is it possible that TLC had presented Maddie's conversion as a possible new story line and her chosen church wanted no part of it? If it's true that she was rejected because of her family, it's more likely that it was about keeping the circus out of the temple rather than rejecting her because of her parents' lifestyle.

• Love 5

I know what you are saying...females often get the short end of the stick in religion. 

But this does seem off to me.  The LDS LOVE to do bapstims and a plyg reality "star"? That's a nice promo for the LDS rather than "we don't accept you". I'm LDS and I have never heard of someone not being baptized because the LDS had an issue with a family.  The Temple recommend?  That's a more involved process so that I could buy.  A baptism?  Just not feeling it...

Still think it's Brown drama.  No matter how level headed Maddie seems, she still grew up with that polygamist persecution syndrome that the Browns love so much. It probably rubbed off on her. 

I think it's Brown drama, too. We're not getting the whole story. Most faiths, if someone expresses sincerity, they're embraced and then helped to weed through their questions and issues.

My gut says they asked her if she agreed with polygamy, and she said 'to each his own' or something, instead of 'it is wrong and against church teachings.' Or they won't let her parents in a Temple ceremony, so she's having a Brown persecution fit

I equate it to say, Catholic parents and godparents, who are asked when an infant is baptized, if they reject (some old school say renounce) Satan and his actions in the string of questions (will you bring the Child up in the faith, etc.). If someone would say "I don't know, Satan gets a bad rap, but we love Jesus Christ, and others can do what they want," then that's not the proper response. Get as pissy as you want, it's not the correct answer if you want a Catholic baptism for your precious baby.

• Love 1

It looks like in the preview for next week's episode, Maddie says something like, "the church wants me to consider joining when my family's not so public." On Twitter she said that she isn't joining the LDS faith now and will not in the future either. It looks like she won't want to be in it even when the Brown Clowns get cancelled someday. 

Or is it possible that TLC had presented Maddie's conversion as a possible new story line and her chosen church wanted no part of it? If it's true that she was rejected because of her family, it's more likely that it was about keeping the circus out of the temple rather than rejecting her because of her parents' lifestyle.

I agree.   And I wouldn't blame the church one bit! 

• Love 1

Someone on another message board said that Sister Wives is starting to take a sinister and dark tone. I agree with them. Divorce from Meri and legal marriage to Robyn, adopting another man's children, Meri catfish scandal, the mental abuse of Christine. This family is breaking down before our eyes.

Or...perhaps the family dynamic had been so entrenched, they simply went along with the game, each comfortable in their role or at least not feeling threatened, one reason being the original three had been all together so long. That and maybe king kody actually was more fair or treated them if not the same, at least equally or  somehow had managed to not make anyone feel slighted or less than. One gets the feeling he deals with them in a kind of managerial way, like when he says "they" like his employees.

It looks like in the preview for next week's episode, Maddie says something like, "the church wants me to consider joining when my family's not so public." On Twitter she said that she isn't joining the LDS faith now and will not in the future either. It looks like she won't want to be in it even when the Brown Clowns get cancelled someday. 

Win-win for Maddie and the LDS church, IMO. I think Maddie needs to break far from the roots of her Dad's belief, and obviously it's better for the LDS church not to have any thread of connection with with the Browns, however slim.

• Love 1

That could be.

As I have said before, I am LDS but we all know that the LDS (and most religions) do love their image!  Maddie might have thought that cameras and a TLC episode could bring in some cash for the new couple.  No way, that will not work with the LDS.  They LOOOOVE to do baptisms but they take them very very seriously. VERY seriously.  It is not a party at all. No photographs, no video. Complete and absolute silence. Witnesses etc. Then when you are finished with the ceremony, you can relax.  But for that ten minutes? Very serious. No way a TLC circus could happen.

Or Maddie stated that she supports polygamy in general but would not want a polygamist marriage.  That could make the LDS very skitchy also.  A "famous" plyg child supporting polygamy but being baptiszed LDS?  The LDS don't like the word polygamy following them around for 100 years. They certainly aren't going to have a Brown supporting polygamy and trying to convert.  

Who knows? Maddie could've asked that Kody baptize her? Mormon fathers baptize their children...Kody was LDs and excommunicated...maybe Maddie was trying to make a point?  Who knows?

I maintain if Maddie was sincere and truly wanted to convert, the LDS would not care what her parents are involved in. Something happened to spook the LDS church or Maddie is being Brown dramatic. 

• Love 3

I did a quick google. No idea what site this is (pro LDS or anti LDS) but these are the questions that are asked prior to a baptism. I know many of you guys enjoy religion so thought you might like...

And FYI, even if your answer is not "right" you can still be baptized...the discussion just needs to be deeper and there might be more prayers, repentence etc.

(I actually asked that question because the question on abortion implies having one, not being the man who helped create the need for the abortion. The church is aware that the questions need to be reworded or revised due to many cultural and legal changes...religions change slowly) 

Back to Maddie, none of these questions should be a major stumbling block for her that we can see. Nothing about polygamy. 

http://www.lds4u.com/Discussions/Interview.htm

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 1

Maddie hates this shit storm of a show. And she really wants nothing to do with her dad. If they think they are getting a story line out of this, they are barking up the wrong tree.

Janelle's children, especially the ones old enough to remember when she left Kody, can't stand Kody. They have no regard for him. A bonding trip with him isn't going to repair his relationship with Maddie and the other daughters.
  • Love 2

Could be.

Maybe Maddie decided to take a step back from any conversion while Mr. TLC Storyline Kody Brown is sniffing around and cooking up drama.  I just realized...duh! The Darger boy converted! Kody must've thought "now THERE'S a storyline!!!"  Maddie is suddenly converting.  We can make that into an episode or two...bring in some plyg persecution!!! Can't let that Darger family outdo us!    

Might've been mutual (in an informal way) between Maddie and the LDS church to think about baptism at a later time. Or not at all.  

That could be.

As I have said before, I am LDS but we all know that the LDS (and most religions) do love their image!  Maddie might have thought that cameras and a TLC episode could bring in some cash for the new couple.  No way, that will not work with the LDS.  They LOOOOVE to do baptisms but they take them very very seriously. VERY seriously.  It is not a party at all. No photographs, no video. Complete and absolute silence. Witnesses etc. Then when you are finished with the ceremony, you can relax.  But for that ten minutes? Very serious. No way a TLC circus could happen.

Or Maddie stated that she supports polygamy in general but would not want a polygamist marriage.  That could make the LDS very skitchy also.  A "famous" plyg child supporting polygamy but being baptiszed LDS?  The LDS don't like the word polygamy following them around for 100 years. They certainly aren't going to have a Brown supporting polygamy and trying to convert.  

Who knows? Maddie could've asked that Kody baptize her? Mormon fathers baptize their children...Kody was LDs and excommunicated...maybe Maddie was trying to make a point?  Who knows?

I maintain if Maddie was sincere and truly wanted to convert, the LDS would not care what her parents are involved in. Something happened to spook the LDS church or Maddie is being Brown dramatic. 

These are all good points, and makes me wonder if maybe they wanted to make a season out of her 'conversion', baptism and wedding (or, the start of a conversion and then a dramatic change of heart to stay with the Church of Kody Brown), and the LDS temple told them to get lost...  

Or... maybe they were trying to avoid admitting to a polygamous marriage so came up with a story about an LDS and now a Christian church to throw everyone off the scent, so to speak...  

Or...  I don't know.  I'm so used to them lying that it could be anything.  Maybe the apple didn't fall far from the Kody tree, after all.  

I am ex-LDS and I could see the Church asking her to wait to join for a couple reasons:

1) This all seemed to happen pretty quick and they probably want to make sure she is converting for the right reasons (true faith, etc.) versus just to get married. 

2) I could totally understand the Church wanting to make sure this did not further confuse people who already think that FLDS is the same as LDS.

The Church gets so much bad publicity and, frankly, attacks that are not based on truth. Having one of the Brown children join suddenly in order to marry would only add to people confusing the two Churches.

I have to say @Marigold I appreciate your patience in explaining differences, etc., to posters here.  I grew up in the Church but was excommunicated long ago.  Still, most of the things that people think/say of Mormon beliefs/actions are things I never heard nor experienced in all my years in the Church. But I don't think I could be as calm and patient as you are.  Thank you. 

• Love 2

Un. Freaking. Believable. I just paid a quick visit to CJ's blog, where a tweet in the SWs feed leaped out at me.

It's a retweet, by Kody, of a tweet by Rand Paul:

"@BernieSanders who's going to pay for all of your "free" stuff?"

How dare that grifter jackass pretend that his family's entire existence hasn't been made possible by "free stuff?"

I could hurt a polygamist right now.

He lacks introspection, apparently the irony of his statement is totally lost on him - someone who in sales would just adapt to whomever he was talking to in the moment, make it be about them and be a chameleon,smoke and mirrors, but at the end of the day it is all about him. It's like all the past of his own life suddenly doesn't exist in that moment. Tell me if this doesn't fit

http://www.minddisorders.com/Kau-Nu/Narcissistic-personality-disorder.html

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/stop-walking-eggshells/201201/lack-empathy-the-most-telling-narcissistic-trait

http://narcissists-suck.blogspot.com/2008/12/absence-of-introspection.html

Will the 'rill' kody brown please stand up?

• Love 3

As long as this show is running, the Browns will be jumping through TLC's hoops, and if those hoops are burning, so be it.

The show saved them from further bankruptcy, it was the best thing that could happen to them. Christine had filed for bankruptcy in 2010, a "mysterious" companion was paying her rent and she was on food stamps before filming began. Kody had driven his 2 companies against the wall and declared bankruptcy in 2005, Janelle in 1997. The 5 year interval was coming up again.

I've had the impression for a pretty long time now that Robyn was behind the show idea. She had tried to live her ambitions in the film world several years before with no success. She probably still had some ties to one or the other in show-bizz. Her wedding reception, with all the trimmings, was paid for by TLC. After all, it was the main theme in season one right from the beginning.

The Browns spent money (that didn't belong to them, by the way) like it was going out of style. All of their bankruptcies were for credit card bills, among them for Sears and Target. Hardly any of their debts were for health insurance and treatment (with 12 kids at the time before the show started!!). They had to pay for Maddie's emergency appendectomy in monthly installments for over a year because there was no money for health insurance. Janelle was supposedly working at that time (although we still don't know where) and she didn't put her kid's health insurance first? I'm pretty sure none of Christine's kids (because she was not working) had any kind of health insurance at all at that time. I think Mykelti wore braces at one time, but that was after TLC showed up.

Robyn probably never declared bankruptcy. She simply "inherited" almost $32,400 in debt by her divorce from Jessop in 2008. Credit card debts and the infamous 1,000 credit card bucks at Victoria'sSecret. So she came into the Brown family with debt.

Kody and his Kodettes are financially responsible for the wellbeing of their children, but in the past they spent lots of money that didn't belong to them - and never paid it back. Kody (and perhaps Robyn) was the super mastermind (again) and found someone who has been doing it for them for the last 5-6 years: TLC. Maybe not all of it (Janelle's job?), but I believe it's the largest share. We can forget the non-starter MSWC! Does anyone remember those god-awful episodes when they were looking for creditors and actually really believed they only needed to sit down at their table and honour them with their attendance, and: bang! - presto, presto, here you go: $2.5million bucks at your service ladies and gentlemen! I'm sure Kody was convinced that a new idiot gets up every morning and he's for Kody's having. He forgot one tiny little detail: those people are intelligent, Kody, they could see right through your bullshit. They don't do business in the "Practical Pig" manner you're aquainted to. Go sell your snake oil somewhere else!
Kody has the opposite gift of King Midas's touch. Everything Kody touches turns to crap.

So, why does Kody want to adopt and create even more children when he can't support the ones he already has and lets a TV production company do it for him? A needy dude creating more needy kids. Guess that must be the famous polygamist life style, right? You make the bill and other idiots will pay for it (if necessary the tax payers, meaning us).
The simplest explanation: he's a chauvinist pig, plain & simple and he doesn't give a flying fish about others. He must be a member of that new money church called "Screw You".

Does he really believe this "reality" cock-up will go on until all of his kids have finished their education? Or will there then be another bankruptcy? Is that plan B? Or does he just not care about it? Thinking he'll have 4 concubines who'll do the job then?
The painful reality is: the law can't force him to pay. You can't take money out of a man's empty pocket. He'll then probably be the neediest of them all with all kind of ailments preventing him from taking a job.

They have become totally dependant on TLC for money. Practically sold their souls to the devil. They've certainly all signed an obligation of confidentiality (as all participents in "reality" shows do) so we will never find out what's behind that phoney divorce/adoption plot. Meri can look like a stupid jackass for the rest of her life; she'll never be able to tell the truth. I'd be very surprised if they kept the houses should the show be cancelled prematurely. I'm convinced TLC's spin doctors are trying to find a storyline that will explain the whole Meri/Catfish crap right now at this minute. Because If the rates go down, the Browns are done, literally.

I really don't know what to wish them because I'm hurting for those kids and the life style that has been forced upon them. But if those mothers would kick his and Robyn's sorry ass to the curb, they could take care of their kids. I'm sure of that.

But I know one thing for sure: There is absolutely nothing positive about polygamy, absolutely nothing.

• Love 13
She had tried to live her ambitions in the film world several years before with no success.

Details please?! Robyn wanted to be an actress?

Robyn Brown was born as Robyn Sullivan. She is an actress, known for Sister Wives (2010), CMT 2000 Countdown (2000) and Just Shoot Me! (1997). She has been married to Kody Brown since December 11, 2014. .

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2585315/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2585315/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm

Robyn Brown was born as Robyn Sullivan. She is an actress, known for Sister Wives (2010), CMT 2000 Countdown (2000) and Just Shoot Me! (1997). She has been married to Kody Brown since December 11, 2014. .

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2585315/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2585315/?ref_=nmbio_bio_nm

REALLY?  She was on Just Shoot Me?  Her ep is in 2000 - that's the same year she had Dayton.

Wasn't this when she was purportedly living in a trailer without a crib and so forth, yet she could still get to LA for a filming gig?  Someone needs to find this ep and see if it's actually her or just a bit player with the same name.

• Love 2

REALLY?  She was on Just Shoot Me?  Her ep is in 2000 - that's the same year she had Dayton.

Wasn't this when she was purportedly living in a trailer without a crib and so forth, yet she could still get to LA for a filming gig?  Someone needs to find this ep and see if it's actually her or just a bit player with the same name.

A couple of years ago I was poking around the webz and stumbled across another Robyn Brown who was an actress and wasn't Robyn Sullivan Brown. Although I can't corroborate that right now, I feel 99% certain that IMDb has mistakenly conflated Robyn Sullivan Brown with a struggling Z-list actress. I base that on exactly what DJ mentions above--that Robyn was living far from Hollywood and was making babies at the time these film credits happened.

• Love 4

I haven't looked into it; but, her name would have been "Robyn Sullivan" Jessop? Not Brown. I do seem to remember something about Robyn wanting to be an actress, and her short stints on some shows...hmmmm

I haven't looked into it; but, her name would have been "Robyn Sullivan" Jessop? Not Brown. I do seem to remember something about Robyn wanting to be an actress, and her short stints on some shows...hmmmm

Yep. Her name wouldn't have been Brown during the era of those film credits anyway. So I just spent $2 and 23 minutes of my life that I'll never recoup and watched the episode of Just Shoot Me that has a Robyn Brown in the credits as "model." The bulk of the episode is conversation among main characters; the remaining couple of minutes have crowds in the background at the office and in a tiny restaurant scene. Trust me--"our" Robyn ain't there. Now, y'all can repay me with a skinny mocha.

• Love 10

Yep. Her name wouldn't have been Brown during the era of those film credits anyway. So I just spent $2 and 23 minutes of my life that I'll never recoup and watched the episode of Just Shoot Me that has a Robyn Brown in the credits as "model." The bulk of the episode is conversation among main characters; the remaining couple of minutes have crowds in the background at the office and in a tiny restaurant scene. Trust me--"our" Robyn ain't there. Now, y'all can repay me with a skinny mocha.

THANK YOU!!!!

• Love 2

I feel like Robyn is slowly but surely showing her true bitch colors now. In the boat episode she was pouting and condescending and belittling and having the 'oh, I went to college ... and studied calculus and geometry and how to put my best Jay Leno face forward' moments. And now I'm reading in the media that she knew Meri was being 'catfished' --- it's just bizarre. She supposedly loves Meri so much that she has to snivel and snot about it repeatedly, but that's not love. That's public humiliation on a huge scale. If she's that much of a psycho then she deserves to have KoDork all to herself. He has to be crippled with humiliation and probably turning to Sobbyn for comfort like crazy over this love-multiplying-all-over-Meri's-catfish embarrassment. 

I mean ... Meri WAS only multiplying her love, right? Not dividing it between two men/women/ghosts in the machine.

• Love 5

Meri, Janelle, and Christine all wished Robyn a happy birthday on Twitter. There is a picture of Robyn and Meri hugging like BFFs on Meri's Twitter. They are all kissing her butt. Yuck.

Open bottle of wine in the background too.

Meri, Janelle, and Christine all wished Robyn a happy birthday on Twitter. There is a picture of Robyn and Meri hugging like BFFs on Meri's Twitter. They are all kissing her butt. Yuck.

Meri was probably forced to be in the photo, or risk losing their bread and butter.

TLC: "You must honor your Queen Bee on her birthday!" That is written on The TLC Commandment Plate!"

I read somewhere that the fiance isn't LDS. I think she changed her mind.

Sadly, it appears that Madison is following in the footsteps of her family.  Making big statements and not following through.

I feel bad for this 'kid' Maddie. She seems to have tried to rally against the 'meh, whatever' attitude of her mother, likely having seen where that got mom. Looking for some kind of structure and order after the chaos of the past several years, happy to get out and go to school. Maybe she wants out of the entire religion, whether it be fundamentalist or the new LDS church, we don't know if the LDS told her no more participating in Brown prayer meetings or she can't have her family at a wedding or maybe the church is embarrassed by her family and like other posters have stated, wants to distance themselves from any kind of plyg lifestyle stuff, especially TV. Or perhaps she talked to what is called 'ex-mo's ' (ex-Mormons) and became disenchanted, and doesn't want a church telling her what she can and can't do- we just don't know. I can totally see though how she was searching for something and looking to find out what she really believes or wants to be a part of. She has always seemed a little more feisty than a lot of the other kids. The somehow 'related' , though not by blood doesn't surprise me, as it seems like everyone is sorta related in this whole thing.

• Love 2

Not sure where this went so posting it here. I am hoping this is their last season with TLC pre-paying them for 1 very special update episode to be filmed in 3 years time. I really am thinking in 3 years Janelle and Meri would have left Koduche who is pretty much living a monogamous marriage with Sobyn in some 3 bedroom rental in Vegas.  Christine would also have left with her mother back to Utah.