Type keyword(s) to search

Shameless Fame Whores: Sister Wives in the Media

• Start Topic

Oh those are actresses from the show 'pretty little liars'  I'm kind of embarrassed to be generation X and watching this show, because it is about a group of teen girls who essentially are involved neck-deep in dark doo-doo resulting from lie upon lie, either to each other, or others or others lying to them, some unknown stalker person who pits them against each other and leads them into one effed-up situation after another , they don't know who is naughty and who is nice or who to trust even amongst their in-group- much girl drama , girl-parent/sibling ,girl-boy drama , nerd revenge, and even  girl-girl drama- in other words, similar to SW  but with better actors, costumes, sets, plot , lol  In several episodes they use themes from movies like 'psycho' or 'the birds', one was done in black ad white with all retro hair and clothes- there's a reasonable amount of man eye-candy (if a bit on the young side). It's definitely a guilty pleasure. SW used to also be, but I have to admit I'm not as charitable as when it first started, what with all the  grifting and spin.   Oh here's something you guys might enjoy especially for the screenshots, this site has the closed-captions and screen shots from season 1, might be handy for illustrating points, there's like 20 pages of it, and maybe some photos you haven't seen that may amuse.   http://wtffundiefamilies.tumblr.com/tagged/sister+wives/page/5

That link was a good one! This one really got me, even though Meri irks me, is the one of her saying goodbye to Kody when he's off to see his soulmate. Her face is so real, and so devastated. How they can live through this pain and still think its a) preferable, and b) just a slightly different version of everyone else's family is beyond me.

• Love 2

If Kody spends his money on Rogaine, then he's not doing it right!  lol!  

My main thought behind their money situation is that they claim over and over that all of the wives are EQUAL, in every situation, so therefore they should all get equal money.  I've always wondered why they say that they're 'one family' when they've been maintaining totally separate households for a long time, but since they do maintain separate households, they should split it evenly and any extra food money, IF needed -- and let's face it, there are no suspected cases of starvation in that group -- should be provided by Kody, who feels that he needs a million children for his god-status.  

Now that I think about it, why would he get his own money anyway?  Shouldn't each household be considered "Christine's and Kody's Stuff", "Meri's and Kody's Stuff", etc??  ALL of his money should be a part of each household!  

• Love 1

I think they talked it over in an episode. Kids get necessities from moms, any special stuff they want they go to kiddy for. Mariah doesn't really go to him.

Ok my phone autocorrected Kody to kiddy. Too funny to change

Edited by iii
  • Love 4

That link was a good one! This one really got me, even though Meri irks me, is the one of her saying goodbye to Kody when he's off to see his soulmate. Her face is so real, and so devastated. How they can live through this pain and still think its a) preferable, and b) just a slightly different version of everyone else's family is beyond me.

I know, looking at these without all the tlc goldfish attention span cut-scenes and kooky happy music gives one a different perspective especially in retrospect .......how about these (from the same site, other pages in the same thread)

ra8bdh.jpg

• Love 1

I've always wondered why they say that they're 'one family' when they've been maintaining totally separate households for a long time,

Oh, well see, that would be because they're full of crap.

I know, looking at these without all the tlc goldfish attention span cut-scenes and kooky happy music gives one a different perspective especially in retrospect .......how about these (from the same site, other pages in the same thread)

ra8bdh.jpg

After you posted that link, I got massively sucked in. There are so many things I want to say about it, but first and foremost: even though Janelle is still big, in season one she was REALLY REALLY big. The comparison is incredible.

• Love 3

Hahaha!  Perfectly said!  :D

I've been on that blog link for a while, too...  Some of the commentary is pretty great, whether funny or informative, or both!  

• Love 1

After you posted that link, I got massively sucked in. There are so many things I want to say about it, but first and foremost: even though Janelle is still big, in season one she was REALLY REALLY big. The comparison is incredible.

What is great is that while Janelle's outside is getting more proportionate, so is her inside- you can almost see the coaching in the earlier episodes, like she has long been used to telling people all is well and everything is great and everyone is happy- now she is more in touch with her own truth and emotions, even if she is way less season 1 Pollyanna-ish- I prefer the new Janelle, not quite so chipper, slightly more acerbic- so good for her. Maybe she will even forgive Meri's 'ghost of Christmas past' - they may never be 'besties' but at this point, why not call a truce?  Admittedly I have not read all the commentary on that site, but looking at the screenshots and dialogue, I'm sure we all have our own perspective about how things evolved (or didn't)...thing is, believe in all the magical 'destiny' and 'testimonies' all one wants, but at the end of the day, you still can't get blood from a stone....

• Love 1

ra8bdh.jpg

Yes, and don't forget....if you didn't see it....AFTER Meri files for divorce, she kisses Kody & tells him, " I love you".

• Love 1

In the real world, I'd totally agree that doing the same work earns you the same amount. Where I think that theory falls apart for the Browns, though, is that they claim to be ONE FAMILY. My thinking is that IF this is the case, then--as is done in most marriages--the monies earned work to the benefit of the FAMILY. No, it's not Meri's "fault" that her sister wives have more children than she does, but neither is it their "fault" that Meri was infertile. IMO, the only way to work the money out fairly--IF THEY ARE A SINGLE FAMILY, AS CLAIMED (*trying not to choke on my coffee), then all monies should go into a common pot, and be distributed according to need (to include an "allowance," perhaps a small percentage of the income contributed--to act as an incentive to bring in more $$). That way all the children of Kody Brown have equal economic status. It sure as hell isn't fair that Mariah should get more than any of the other kids, when popping out the babies is a fundamental tenet of their joint faith.

And I think Kody spends his money on Rogaine.

That is a good point!

Kody should get nothing more than pocket money.  He doesn't have a house to maintain, and he doesn't have the day to day expenses of raising children.  If he does get an equal fifth of the TLC pay, then he should pay child support proportionally to each wife, since he's so eager to father as many children as the women can pop out.  However, he should pay Robin support for Solomon only.  Her other children have a father who is very much alive, and Kody's biological children shouldn't have less because of the step children.  I have nothing against the step children, but legally and morally they are the responsibility of Robyn and her ex-husband.  Robyn's share of the money should nicely cover her responsibilities to her children.

• Love 6

Did Christine actually say this or is it just an accurate representation of the way it was/is?

whoever runs that site I think is trying to 'closed-caption' what they actually said, so it is most likely what she said.

It's weird looking at this stuff in print rather than with all the stuff I mentioned before, all the happy TLC music and fast changing camera scenes- and of course, the weird accents, tones of voice trying to put a no-big-deal, everything's-cool spin on things.I mean sure one can say hey, some marriages don't work out even if people started out all passionate and 'in love' but it must really suck to look back (whether or not it works out, but especially if it doesn't) and think.the other person "kinda loved me".. Ughhhhh  : (

Did Christine actually say this or is it just an accurate representation of the way it was/is?

Oh yes, that's what she said. The words there are basically the closed-captioning. Can. You. Imagine? To go into your wedding knowing that your husband "sort of" loves you? I am happy to say (and know to the depth of my being) that my husband loved me truly, madly, deeply on the day we married, and he still loves me like that, every day. I don't feel sorry for these women in the sense that they are helpless victims, but I do feel for them that--for whatever reason (self-esteem, religious conditioning, etc.) they were content to attach themselves to a man who will NEVER EVER look at them and think, "This is the woman I want, and she's everything to me."

• Love 2

Wow that is terribly sad. How awful to either feel so little about yourself or so desperate to be married that you would willingly marry someone who 'kind of' loves you. I thought it was bad enough that they agreed to marry someone who was already married to someone else.

• Love 3

Your agument is sound but what's to stop Robyn from raiding the commpn pot for Victoria Secret " needs "?

But see... that's the point. If they were really one family working together then this wouldn't be any more of an issue than it is with monogamous couples. They would have a common pot, a budget and a plan. Then if someone strayed from that plan and overspent they would be confronted by the other adults. In a monogamous couple that's the spouse. In this "family" that's all the spouses. And if someone needed something expensive (housing repairs, medical bills, car problems, etc) the best way to pay for it would be discussed and handled as a unit. 

But instead they have 4 family units competing for resources. Because of the TLC money no one is doing without, but the allotment of resources is used as a measuring stick of value and is used to control their position in the family. Everything is this group is used to control. Robyn has fewer kids but from everything they have said she gets the same money. So she can use that additional money to go on a vacation with Kody allowing for more bonding and intimacy between them and further alienating the other wives. 

• Love 1

Because of the TLC money no one is doing without, but the allotment of resources is used as a measuring stick of value and is used to control their position in the family. 

TLC pulled the plug on My Five Wives and had no qualms in dumping the Honey Boo Boo clan, so if the Browns were smart, they wouldn't put all their eggs in TLC's basket. 

• Love 1
Surely TLC wouldn't pull the plug on the Brown's "Mission" !!!

When the do (not if, when) the Browns will be all over the media claiming TLC persecution because of their "lifestyle".

• Love 4

When the do (not if, when) the Browns will be all over the media claiming TLC persecution because of their "lifestyle".

This. The Browns want to convince us that any and all criticism directed towards them is due to religious persecution. We "hate" them because they're polygamists, not because they're despicable people. According to their logic they should be absolved from blame for all bad behavior because anyone who condemns them is intolerant of their religion. 

• Love 4

LOL persecuted by a TV channel has probably paid them what amounts to millions. Uh-huh, like anyone is going to believe that. No way, they'll just go back to their old fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants methods: credit card debt, maybe some MLM scams, maybe some welfare.

One thing for sure, if they lose TLC, Robyn will be pregnant again before you can say 'get a real job'. They might get an appearance on one of the lesser talk shows or do some radio interview gigs, but that stuff is not enough to float their collective boat. 

That said, if the rumors are true that Meri has her own pad off the cul de sac, who knows if she would even move back into their old Lehi triplex (I sort of remember one show where something was shown about that place being fixed up to sell? maybe someone here knows) and there would still be room for just three back there, if one left. This gypsyish make-it-up-as-you-go-along thing is the main thing that might stop them from getting the kids- I mean it looks stable from looks alone, but the only thing keeping it all going is TLC money. If that dries up, then....and in the past few years they have moved, had another kid, actually moved more than once if you count the rentals, job changes for at least Meri and Janelle, who knows if Kody is doing whatever he was doing in Utah.

Point being , that is a LOT of changes to put kids through and what this group has now is largely fantasy, built on likely interest-only loans that could turn into a pumpkin overnight if the magic wand waves the wrong way. Most judges are not going to see their situation as oh yeah, this is long-term stability here, they're going to see it for its actual history, and all the fun road trips, quilts with neato inspirational sayings, silly parties and TLC mcmansions ........don't change that fact.

LOL persecuted by a TV channel has probably paid them what amounts to millions. Uh-huh, like anyone is going to believe that. No way, they'll just go back to their old fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants methods: credit card debt, maybe some MLM scams, maybe some welfare.

One thing for sure, if they lose TLC, Robyn will be pregnant again before you can say 'get a real job'. They might get an appearance on one of the lesser talk shows or do some radio interview gigs, but that stuff is not enough to float their collective boat. 

That said, if the rumors are true that Meri has her own pad off the cul de sac, who knows if she would even move back into their old Lehi triplex (I sort of remember one show where something was shown about that place being fixed up to sell? maybe someone here knows) and there would still be room for just three back there, if one left. This gypsyish make-it-up-as-you-go-along thing is the main thing that might stop them from getting the kids- I mean it looks stable from looks alone, but the only thing keeping it all going is TLC money. If that dries up, then....and in the past few years they have moved, had another kid, actually moved more than once if you count the rentals, job changes for at least Meri and Janelle, who knows if Kody is doing whatever he was doing in Utah.

Point being , that is a LOT of changes to put kids through and what this group has now is largely fantasy, built on likely interest-only loans that could turn into a pumpkin overnight if the magic wand waves the wrong way. Most judges are not going to see their situation as oh yeah, this is long-term stability here, they're going to see it for its actual history, and all the fun road trips, quilts with neato inspirational sayings, silly parties and TLC mcmansions ........don't change that fact.

• Love 2
(edited)

One more to add to the food stamp and welfare roles.  If they think another kid will up their ratings I think they are nuts.  They can only milk the Meri in Misery storyline for so long.  Nobody cares.

Somebody needs to apply some scissors to Kadoofus and end this madness.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 1

Meri looks over it, from what you can see of her. I'm surprised that Janelle hasn't left the family yet. And Madison isn't even in the picture. I'm sure they'll get another season though, to fill the hole left by the Duggars. In the last season, it was so obvious how dysfunctional the family is and how checked out the older kids are from their "religion".

• Love 1

And Madison isn't even in the picture. 

I think that's Madison in the white tank top to the left of Janelle and Mykelti.  Who's on Kody's left?  All I can figure is that it's Robyn's oldest daughter, but she looks so grown up all of a sudden!

Ugh. As I see it, this confirms she was holding out for legal wife status. I wonder how Meri is feeling.

It's a little hard to tell in the photo as she is looking away from the camera and not smiling. Or else, that is the tell. 

Does anyone else think it looks like Meri was photo-shopped in?  The lighting is totally different.

Or this!

• Love 1

Every single other person in the pic has a stupid cheesy grin on their face except Meri,  whose face couldn't more clearly read "Yeah, yeah, I've done my contractual duty, can I go now?"

You know, kinda like the face on Nia and Holly for this entire season of Dance Moms.

I am leaning toward Photoshop too, AZChristian.  It just looks like she was stuck in there at the end of the line.  And obviously without the cheesy smiles from the rest of the clowns.  That whole tableau makes me want to gag.

• Love 1

I feel sorry for the new baby.  At most, I'd say the show has two or three more seasons, and then the money train will end.  The older children have had an enhanced quality of life because of the TLC money, but this new little one will likely see very little benefit.  They'll be back to their old lifestyle of food stamps, credit card debt and bankruptcies.  Robyn and Kody may not be nearly so enamored with each other when they're worried about money and looking at the prospect of both of them having to get real jobs.  

This of course, is based on the assumption that the Brown gang isn't investing their money wisely and planning ahead.  I think this is a safe assumption.

• Love 5
(edited)

Does anyone else think it looks like Meri was photo-shopped in? The lighting is totally different.

Either Meri is suddenly into offensive blackface paint or she was photoshopped in -- poorly.

When I saw there was activity in this show forum, I immediately thought "I bet queen Robyn is pregnant." Yep, Robyn gets what Robyn wants.

Looks like Janelle gained much of the weight back.

Who is the woman between Kody and Robyn in the photo?

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 1

Mari doesn't look depressed in her twitter pics receiving flowers from male "friends". I don't twitter, saw it on another site by the way. She also doesn't seem real friendly with Robin, just said congrats, you got everything you wanted or something like that.

• Love 1