Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3: Get Your Spoons!

Kromm

Belittling? Maybe I don't remember but I guess I didn't really see that. Tony pretty much listed his reasons for why Tom had to go. I don't think it was personal or about tearing him down; it was more so about his inability to edit his cooking.

• Love 3

Belittling? Maybe I don't remember but I guess I didn't really see that. Tony pretty much listed his reasons for why Tom had to go. I don't think it was personal or about tearing him down; it was more so about his inability to edit his cooking.

Also it was mostly only "public" by virtue of being filmed for reality TV.  I mean wasn't it prompted by a.) cameras capturing him trying to get Tom to correct his behavior (which admittedly he could have done one on one instead of in front of the other team members but there STILL would have been a camera there even if he had) b.) with the other mentors, because they asked Bourdain about it.  

So yes, he could have done this better in terms of trying to get Tom alone... but the camera would have been the great equalizer anyway (also, we may not have been privy to earlier talks he had with Tom one-on-one--so maybe he did it in front of the other team members because Tom just wasn't listening).

• Love 1

Bourdain's been on television for over a decade and he exec produces this show--perhaps even sees the rough edit as he's done with his other shows. There was no reason to repeat that Tom was his "weakest" cook so many times or seem so happy to have the chance to get rid of him. To me, it really seemed personal--he was so exasperated with Tom's insistence on making things "complicated" and seemed to take it personally. That was strange to me, plus it really seemed Tom tried to "simplify" his ideas for the challenge and it wasn't that good.

He seemed like a nice guy, he has a successful restaurant, and yet, thanks to Bourdain (whom I normally like a lot, but this time..no) I was left with a feeling that Tom was an irritating incompetent whose cooking was very weak, much weaker even than someone as untrained as Vanessa. Maybe AB will pimp his restaurant later in a tweet, but that? Not nice. Not fair.

• Love 5

My opinion of AB, who I generally like, went way down this week. I have never heard a mentor on this show, or any other show with a similar format, be so negative about a member of his team.. Nothing wrong with saying that he felt Eric was his strongest cook, but he could've made the point without humiliating Tom. As others have mentioned, it really seemed something personal. How terrible could Tom have been when he'd yet to be in the cook-off. Yet AB made him out to be a complete incompetent. It seemed that Tom's great crime was not having taken Anthony's advice. I know AB has a huge ego, but I didn't think he was so petty and mean. (And actually this week, Tom kept it simple, as AB had been telling him, and AB managed to spin that as Tom insulting him again.

I especially felt bad after the class way Tom went out, very humble with only good things to say. Contrast that to Eric, who sounded like a spoiled brat with his "I'm going to take you all down" speech. (Jen's eye roll actually made me like her for once). So for Tom the experience winds up being good news/bad news. He can advertise his restaurant with his appearance on The Taste. But then people see AB basically telling him he didn't belong.

Anthony's performance would make me think long and hard about wanting to be on his team if I were a contestant other choices. Unless I was a cute girl who gushes all over him, in which case you can apparently do no wrong.

The reduced role for Nigella this week was a big plus for me. Yes, she's attractive, but there's something about her I find really grating. Not sure how she comes across elsewhere, but on this show she seems eternally pissed off and rather unpleasant.

And they do need to figure out something for her other than to just stand there in the middle of the stage. That was embarrassing.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 3

Team Ludo is something like Parris Island - you've got your DI's dip-scented saliva on your chin because he's screaming in your face that you're disgracing his beautiful Corps, and if you dare wipe it away but the truth is- he's on your side like no one you've ever met before.  And at the end of six weeks you are eternally grateful for what he and the process have created out of you. 

Team Anthony is like the cheerleaders' table in the high school cafeteria.  Everyone is BFF 22 hours a day, but he'll drop you into the nearest oubliette if it means he gets to be on the top of the pyramid next time or go to prom with Jake Ryan. 

Given the choice, I'd be Team Ludo over Team Anthony any day of the week. 

• Love 8

Agreed, and every season Anthony's team makes it close to the end and then it completely falls apart. Ludo is a dbag but he forces everyone to do their best and celebrates them when they are on top. Just look at how many people he's taken to the finals

• Love 1

Episode 6: Bring The Heat

The contestants are challenged to turn up the heat with spicy dishes such as Szechuan pepper and pork. Two cooks are eliminated, identifying which contestants will compete in the season finale. Andy Ricker is the guest chef.

I know contestants agree to all sorts of provisions in the agreement they sign when they participate on these shows but try as I might, I can't think of one instance where there would be a clause that permits someone on the show (Ludo) touching them inappropriately.  

I am gobsmacked that the producers (which apparently included AB and Nigella) are okay with that behavior.  I've seen all the usual theatrics of yelling and screaming for pseudo drama (Ramsey being king of it for a long time) on various cooking shows but I have never seen any of them ever manhandle a contestant before - I wonder if they are getting any heat for it at all.  

• Love 1

I loved when Marcus said that if they made either of those dishes, they wouldn't be in the bottom.  Isn't that because both were told what to cook and the ingredients to use by the other contestants.  I'm glad Vanessa is gone, if she wasn't  so stalkerish to Anthony then she was crying.  Tarik shouldn't have been sent home, it should have been Erik that round.  I hope someone from Team Marcus wins.

• Love 4

I'm not sorry that Stalker Vanessa was sent home, but Jen should have been, too.  Her seared tuna dish was not even close to being on the same level as the other spoons (even the other worst ones, which merely were seasoned incorrectly, according to the mentors), and she really is clueless.  I had to laugh when she kept insisting that AB calling her tuna "refined" was a good thing, when (1) it couldn't have been clearer that "refined" was not what was being requested, and (2) he doesn't like refined. What a contrast to Gabe, who is smart enough to understand that refinement and precision are secondary to taste and texture.  Also, shouldn't she know how to use a pressure cooker by now?

I can't believe that the testing at this point is "blind," as it must be totally obvious (for example) who presented that simplistic tuna spoon.  And, since I'm in a venting mood (sorry), if 3 contestants get red stars, why not have them all in the taste off?  I know that might weaken the personal combat aspect of it and allow less dramatic manipulation, but it just makes more sense to me.

Poor Eric - getting guidance during the taste-off from Ben, while Vanessa had both Gabe AND Tristen helping her.

• Love 4

I never thought I'd be rooting for Jen whom I dislike but I was very happy that the other two went to the taste off.  Eric's opinion of himself seems way out of proportion to his actual talent and Vanessa is just obnoxious.  She should have been gone long ago.  I lost respect for AB last week because of the way he treated Tom.  After this week, I have very little respect left for him.  Vanessa totally sucked up to him, he knew it and allowed it to influence his opinions anyway.  Bah.  He was still at it as she was on her way out. 

It was pretty obvious to me that none of the other contestants liked Vanessa so I give Gabe and Tristen credit for helping her as assigned without being rancorous about it.  I couldn't believe that she didn't know one chicken giblet from another. 

I like Benjamin but Gabe and Tristen are my favorites so I hope one of them wins. 

Nigella standing in the middle of Ludo's kitchen for no reason at all was really awkward.  Her only role now seems to be lounging in the judges' break room in a too tight dress.  Also awkward.

• Love 3

Jen looked as if she was going to vomit at the restaurant.  Eric looked as if he was trying not to cry during his team's meal.

Bourdain should have sent Eric home - he admitted he misdirected the guy he sent home.

It was obvious by the end of the tasting that Vanessa was going home - she was weeping in her THs before they had even awarded stars.

Tony should have kept Tarik & dumped Eric, Eric is an ass.

This is the kind of food I do not like. I like spicy food, but I don’t like food that is so spicy that’s all you can taste. All the mentors & the guest judge were all pushing for spicy so hard, I don't think anything tasted good.

• Love 7

So, Tony how'd actively plotting to get rid of Tom work out for you then? Oh, and your dick move "I refuse to help either one" after last week where you actively ignored Tom? You're a dick.

Vanessa is just an idiot and a creepy stalker type.

Was it Ben who said "if you can't ID a liver you have no business calling yourself a chef?" Whoever it was: I laughed.

• Love 3

I was shocked at how nasty Jen is.  She was an outright bitch to Vanessa in the break room both times.  Who does she think she is?  Even if an excellent cook there is no excuse for that attitude.  Same goes for Eric.  It is interesting to see him brag about how good he is with not one gold star and that has worked to keep him in, oddly.  Eric should have been eliminated.  

I am perplexed as to why they chose the two from Tony's team for the cook off and equally shocked at how little feedback Bourdain gave to them.  The other contestants should not be allowed to be there.  That turned into a mess for both of them.   I think Vanessa had the chops to make a winning spoon if left on her own.

• Love 7

I believe Anthony should have booted Vanessa instead of Tarik in the first half of the show.  If so, he would probably still have 2 cooks on his team and Jen would have gone home at the end.

The show seemed to make sure Ludo did not have to compete against himself earlier in the season.  But they have no problem having Anthony go against himself 2 weeks in a row.  Just thought that was interesting.

I really think Marcus' team has had the benefit of the guest chef helping them a lot.  It is not surprising that they have the most gold stars.  It does make me wonder if other cooks would have earned more gold stars if they had the guest chef helping them every week.

I still wish all cooks that got red stars had to compete in the taste off.

• Love 7

1.  Heee.  I could watch Eric's smug little puss get red starred every night of the week.  It's like each one just blows his mind.  "How can this possibly be happening when I'm the best chef here?!"

2.  Boy, having the guest judge/theme expert directing your "individual" offering is a HUGE advantage--maybe too huge.

3..  Not knowing a chicken neck from a chicken liver?  Was she just overwrought and having a mental breakdown?

• Love 6

Having the guest judge/mentor direct you is a nice reward but if you are listening to your mentor (and your mentor isn't acting like a fool - Ludo and Anthony in each others kitchen acting a fool) good for them.  For me, I don't see how it's too huge if you are playing to win.  From what we see, Anthony and Ludo are too caught up (this season??) with each other and that hurts their own teams.  Marcus is just focusing on his own team and they are listening to him.  His team got the advantage fair and square - mentor gives a dish to use, they use it (and mentor stays with the team to help them and is not focused on another team.)  If anyone is to blame for the advantage, for me, blame the immature mentors Ludo and Anthony. 

With that, I don't like the mentors in each others kitchen.  Stay in your own space.  Why Nigella was in Ludo's kitchen is beyond me.  She sucks at mentoring so her being there I can see Ludo screaming at Jen to not listen to her.  Nigella lost so she should be banned from any talk in the kitchen.

• Love 5

3..  Not knowing a chicken neck from a chicken liver?  Was she just overwrought and having a mental breakdown?

I think it was actually a chicken heart and a chicken liver [ETA:  Since I wrote this post, I've been corrected that it was both a chicken neck and a chicken heart that she grabbed, thanks!]...and I'm inclined to give her a break on that one since her mind was in a million places and she had people shouting at her while she was trying to concentrate. That's tough on anyone, and Vanessa looks like the kind of person who needs a little bit of quiet headspace to focus--which she didn't get beforehand, since Jen was shouting at her and demanding that Vanessa gear up for a taste-off the way Jen would.  BE LIKE ME!!! BE LIKE MEEE!! WHY AREN'T YOU DOING WHAT I WOULD DO??? ARRRRRRRRRRR!  Damn, Jen. Not everyone is you. [Thank God.]

Edited by whirlingdervish
  • Love 5

I think it was actually a chicken heart and a chicken liver...and I'm inclined to give her a break on that one since her mind was in a million places and she had people shouting at her while she was trying to concentrate. That's tough on anyone, and Vanessa looks like the kind of person who needs a little bit of quiet headspace to focus--which she didn't get beforehand, since Jen was shouting at her and demanding that Vanessa gear up for a taste-off the way Jen would.  BE LIKE ME!!! BE LIKE MEEE!! WHY AREN'T YOU DOING WHAT I WOULD DO??? ARRRRRRRRRRR!  Damn, Jen. Not everyone is you. [Thank God.]

I have to respectfully disagree.  If she couldn't tell the difference between the two then she shouldn't have been there to begin with.  I'm not a chef and I know the difference.  I see it everything Thanksgiving with the turkey.  I doubt Vanessa is that weak when after her "breakdown" she was laughing at how her strategy saved her.  If Vanessa was that weak she should not have been in the competition but that was her game plan to play the weak card.  The team is throwing me under the bus, they are mean to me, etc.  Her weakness in the second round showed when Anthony wasn't there to help her and it was someone else failing worse that saved her.  Anthony saved her several times and her waterworks were a given after every challenge.  Why else would people mention it on the show and in posts.

I'm not a Jen fan (I don't think she should be there at all either).  The fireman should be there instead of her all while Tarik stays and Eric and Vanessa are gone.

Edited by Crucial
  • Love 3
She [Jen] was an outright bitch to Vanessa in the break room both times.

Maybe, but I for one loved her calling her a crybaby to her face.  Everyone else just does it in a TH.

I bet everyone was just dying to say something to Eric about how he sure blew them all away, like he shouted at them he would before the solo challenge.  Hee.  Hubris is a bitch, aint it.

• Love 6

If they really got what they wanted in the tasting, after the first spoon their palates would all be blown out and they couldn't tell if the other three dishes had enough spice or not.  I didn't see any water on the table and editing made the tasting look pretty continuous. 

I thought production was blowing up Vanessa's Tony obsession but that her basic strategy was sound.  Cook something your captain likes, and even if it's not chosen if your team has to cut somebody you're less likely to go home.

I see Ludo beating the shit out of a stainless steel refrigerator and think "That's Entertainment".

The taste-off is OK in theory, but having Tony mentally check out and just stand there wasn't.  I think if any of them have to go up against themselves as he had to in the last two weeks, that mentor should be banned from the kitchen during the taste-off and the cooks should be on their own, asking for help from the other chefs like it went this time if they wish.  Have the two battling cooks make just one spoon each, and have their mentor pull the guillotine on the loser blind.  That would put some skin in the game.

Edited by Totale
  • Love 6

The clear problem with her strategy is that, in the end,  it depends on uncontrollable factors.  Boudein only has one vote.  When it comes down to two he has to choose between, he can't overcome the vote of the other three that she hasn't bothered to flirt with. 

All true, but also all involving the solo round and taste-offs later on. But where I thought her strategy was sound was in the early weeks and the group rounds.  That's where she started saying "I don't give a crap about the guest judge, I'm just going to cook for Anthony" and I could see where that would work for the reasons I gave above.

• Love 1

If they really got what they wanted in the tasting, after the first spoon their palates would all be blown out and they couldn't tell if the other three dishes had enough spice or not.  I didn't see any water on the table and editing made the tasting look pretty continuous.

Yes, and that is why Tony thought Vanessa's spoon was hot enough.  They needed milk to drink between tastes.  Water would do nothing to neutralize the heat from the previous bite.  

• Love 2

As much as I dislike the choice, I have to agree with Tony sending Tarik off.  It was the team challenge, so Tarik's was the best of the three chefs on Tony's team. Yet against the other two spoons, it came in dead last. Tarik's spoon was considered the worst of three. Tarik should take the fall. I disagree with it, insofar as Tarik being the better of AB's chefs possibly, especially if we go by stars each chef had. 

I sorta loved that AB thought he had this theme so sewn up, yet ended up with Eric, who just last week against Tom was his star chef and the pony he was counting on to take out the weakest on in his stable. This week? Eric was getting no love, especially from his "brother", AB. 

I am just glad Jen outlasted Vanessa. Jen faced two Ludo-yells-at-you-offs in a row, maybe one other. Vanessa pouts, gets cryvoice, and is all 'but,but...' after the possibility of her going into the Taste-Off comes up. Yes, maybe Jen shouldn't have tried to get Vanessa over the sulking/wallowing stage, but Vanessa wasn't having it, so I don't really see any actual bullying. A grown woman telling another grown woman to stop sulking over having to cook something on a cooking competition doesn't read as bullying to me. Frustration? Probably.

Eric? Showed his ugly side more. Not pleasant at all. Meanwhile, I have come around some on Gabe and Ben.  I think that Ben and Jen may consider themselves survivors of Team Ludo, no matter how next week goes. Gabe, though, I respect his game, gritty or not.  They seem like they are too good to be true, but when things have been tough, they have pulled through pretty well.  

Despite that, I am hoping Tristen is walking away with the whole ball of wax. He has been steadily getting Marcus' approval and not getting the team in trouble. He's gotten some gold stars and is raring to show more of his skills and recipes.

I do not care if Nigella is a producer. She truly had no business in Ludo's kitchen while his chefs were cooking. If she was concerned for Jen, why nothing before this episode? Tony wasn't interested in listening to her; AB wanted to piss off Ludo because Ludo's low-hanging fruit and AB's also a producer. So producers get to do whatever just because? No. I am not a Ludo fan, but that was just evidence that the three of them need to be replaced if there is a next season. Replaced as mentors. There is barely any mentoring going on, so for Ludo's health and twelve contestants' ability to learn, get other folks in. We can't lose Marcus and his fun shirts!

• Love 2

That's what I was thinking, too. I always think it's got to be somewhat hard to "cleanse palates" between tasting dishes but this one in particular it'd be almost impossible. It seems like anything after the first dish was bound to be heavily influenced by whatever the judges have already tasted.

• Love 1

As much as I dislike the choice, I have to agree with Tony sending Tarik off.  It was the team challenge, so Tarik's was the best of the three chefs on Tony's team. Yet against the other two spoons, it came in dead last. Tarik's spoon was considered the worst of three. Tarik should take the fall. I disagree with it, insofar as Tarik being the better of AB's chefs possibly, especially if we go by stars each chef had. 

The only reason that Tarik's spoon was last was because it wasn't as spicy as the other two. The reason it wasn't as spicy was because Tony told him he had enough spice in his dish even though Tarik thought it should be spicier. Tony admitted it was his fault that Tarik was being eliminated because of Tony's decision, so why should Tarik take the fall for that? Vanessa was his worst cook, she should have gone, not Tarik who was his best cook.

• Love 9
Actually last two seasons they had Nigella as a "floating mentor", offering advice and help to the other kitchens

Nigella may have truly meant to help, most probably Jen, but her being in his kitchen with his team just made Ludo more angry/ yell-y. Which in turn, turned AB into a five year old who could not continue life if he didn't shove a can of effing spiced ham in Ludo's face to get him to sputter more. Meanwhile, Nigella is ineffectually trying to something something  and is looking around helplessly as two grown-ass men forget that fact. While cameras are rolling and their teams are still not getting mentored/any aid.

Also, as to Tarik's spoon: if Vanessa "had balls" to tell AB about the lack of salt and spice, why not actually tell Tarik? The guy AB is for sure sending up? Way to sabotage the team.  Let Tarik decide if needed just a jot more and get AB to double-check that?

Every time the announcer intoned that the mentors were looking to discover the next great chef, I was all "nope!"  Okay, maybe Marcus is.

On the cool side was Chef Rickard. He seemed neat and open. He truly was about the mentoring, giving little additional bits of ' oh, if you want to X, then do Y, Z, and Q. The dish'll have some crunch and sweetness while retaining it's heat', or something along those lines.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 4

Pretty sure it was both: first she picked up the neck, and then they were all "no" and then she picked up the heart, repeat.

I just re-watched it and yes, it looked to me like this is what happened. I can just barely halfway understand getting flustered between the liver and heart when you've got a bunch of people shouting at you and you're under time pressure, but to me nothing excuses not being able to tell the neck from the internal organs.

• Love 5

Vanessa was his worst cook, she should have gone, not Tarik who was his best cook.

Yes, but then he would have missed out on more of her adoring gazes and eyelash batting. I thought it was funny how hard he fought when every other judge was very insistent that hers was the worst. Also, I thought it was funny how in her first dish she dumped a ton of peppers in there to make it spicy enough - it didn't work - so then she tried the exact same thing (keep adding more peppers!) in the taste off.

• Love 4

I'll admit to being a weenie when it comes to hot food (like Jen, I'm from New England and spicy isn't part of our traditional regional cuisine, so a lot of us don't grow up with hot food), but it surprised me when Vanessa's spoonful of peppers didn't turn out to be hot.

I knew Tarik was going home because of the back story piece. It was nice to see that everyone genuinely loved him. I don't think he should have been sent home since it was AB's fault. I'm glad Vanessa is gone, but Jen should have been sent home a long time ago. Eric is just a big douche.

Edited by Cranky One
  • Love 4

I have to respectfully disagree.  If she couldn't tell the difference between the two then she shouldn't have been there to begin with.  I'm not a chef and I know the difference.  I see it everything Thanksgiving with the turkey.  I doubt Vanessa is that weak when after her "breakdown" she was laughing at how her strategy saved her.  If Vanessa was that weak she should not have been in the competition but that was her game plan to play the weak card.  The team is throwing me under the bus, they are mean to me, etc.  Her weakness in the second round showed when Anthony wasn't there to help her and it was someone else failing worse that saved her.  Anthony saved her several times and her waterworks were a given after every challenge.  Why else would people mention it on the show and in posts.

Sure, I can see that.  I don't necessarily think that getting flustered and flurried in that kind of pressure cooker situation is a sign of weakness, personally...when I commented earlier, I was thinking of a couple of people I work with who would have completely gotten flustered in that situation, especially if they hadn't been able to get centered first.  I don't think of either of these coworkers as being weak--I respect the hell out of them and they're near and dear to me--but I could definitely see one of them getting to that place. The other one would probably just shut down. Also, I know that I've sometimes said head-slappingly nonsensical things in fast, high-stakes pressure situations that later I think, "Dag, that was ridiculous"....so I tend to cut others a lot of slack in this area.  Not saying that's where Vanessa's headspace was, but saying that I could understand it if that's the case.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I hate to boost Ludo, but Sichuan Peppercorn is truly one of the most amazing things in the world. I didn't like that we didn't hear the reason why. What genuine true fresh Sichuan Peppercorn does (and virtually nobody has had it because it was a banned import for years for some very complicated reasons) is not be hot, but rather numbing. Which I know doesn't SOUND like it would be pleasant to eat. But combined with strong notes of ginger, and more conventional spice (Chiles) is this magical alchemical thing. Even the term "numbing" doesn't really convey it correctly. It's not really dead lips or mouth, it's more of a tingling sensation--and it's noticeable, not barely there. It's weird and wonderful and somehow makes you taste the other tastes in a more intense way.

Of course that's all what you're SUPPOSED to get out of it. Seeing Team Ludo's ACTUAL plans go to shit, and Frenchie beating that Fridge door to shit? HILARIOUS! (even though Anthony's team actually wound up losing)

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3