Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3: Get Your Spoons!

Kromm

Bourdane and Waxman sound very much alike!  I can tell them apart because of the cadence and speed but a very close call.  Waxman speaks slower and Tony often clips the ends of his comments quickly (if that makes sense).  

http://www.estarla.com/2015/01/22/talking-abcs-the-taste-and-petit-trois-with-vanessa-lauren-and-ludo-lefebvre/

Thanks for this link.  It is the most honest and genuine out of many interviews I have read about a reality TV show.  Go Vanessa.  

I liked knowing that Tony had no idea of what she was like behind the scenes.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

Blah blah blah... I'm going to be in the finale...  blah blah blah ... let's rehash the eliminated person's entire appearance on the show... blah blah blah... man, this is hard...  blah blah blah...

Holey moley, I think I fast-forwarded through three quarters of the finale.  Two hours is too long for all that manufactured drama.

I was pulling for Tristen, and I'm glad Marcus offered him a position, but I guess Gabe deserved to win.  He was practically staggering under the weight of all those gold stars.

• Love 1

During the 1st round, I noticed Ben's shirt was low cut. And then, for the rest of the episode I was distracted by Ben & Gabe's chest hair. I have no problem with hair, but didn't think it was professional in a kitchen.

With that said, I'm happy Gabe got the win. And delighted that Tristen got a job. Great finale. 

• Love 3

During the 1st round, I noticed Ben's shirt was low cut. And then, for the rest of the episode I was distracted by Ben & Gabe's chest hair. I have no problem with hair, but didn't think it was professional in a kitchen.

With that said, I'm happy Gabe got the win. And delighted that Tristen got a job. Great finale. 

So funny, I did too.  I don't think it would have struck me 10 years ago but it does now.  I am tickled to see that we are seeing men in a more physical/fashion/curret way.  The way we, as women, have always been viewed.  I did find it off putting and I don't remember that happening before.

Bourdane and Waxman sound very much alike!  I can tell them apart because of the cadence and speed but a very close call.  Waxman speaks slower and Tony often clips the ends of his comments quickly (if that makes sense).  

http://www.estarla.com/2015/01/22/talking-abcs-the-taste-and-petit-trois-with-vanessa-lauren-and-ludo-lefebvre/

Thanks for this link.  It is the most honest and genuine out of many interviews I have read about a reality TV show.  Go Vanessa.  

I liked knowing that Tony had no idea of what she was like behind the scenes.  

Interesting interview. Bourdain sounds kind of crotchety with the interviewer--maybe tired of blowback from the season--but good for him for committing to Vanessa after the show and urging Ludo to hire her. I -do- think she looked and sounded like a very hard worker and a good cook/chef so that's in her favor. Funny AB called Ludo's restaurant (I'm assuming the fine dining one) the "best restaurant in L.A."  Kind of a big reach, that.

And I shouldn't be surprised with this from Ludo, explaining the differences among mentors, "We all have different palate. Anthony likes spicy. Marcus, I don’t know what he likes, I don’t understand him, I don’t know his style. Nigella is English. And I’m French." This is one reason I still don't like him and think he's -genuinely- arrogant, not just playing someone on television. But c'est la vie. I don't think he's going anywhere.

When it comes to "innovation," some of these dishes blew Top Chef out of the water.

I was amazed with the spoons where Surf & Turf were integrated into one cohesive tasty bite, and then paired with a second spoon that had a different set of disparate proteins.  Tristen had a big hit putting a white flaky fish on top of pulled pork barbeque.  Zowie.  I think someone even added in some squab to his fish-beef bite.  My primary experience with a single mouthful of fin-fowl-farm is the Lo Mein Combo Deluxe.

Anyway, good food, good guys, good conclusion.  Yay!

• Love 2

The finale was cool.

Chef Waxman was very cool; I liked that he counseled being calmer and remembering to breathe, but was also honest enough to say 'scrap it" when things went south.  What I really enjoyed was that when he was "scrap it" he kept the guys thinking towards a solution. Sour cherries aren't available to you, so what can provide that same type of taste/flavor? You can't go back and do X, so what can you make for that hole now? The keeping them focused was something refreshing.

I was disappointed for Tristen, but then he got the job offer and I was sniffly. Gabe, even with his moments of doubt, won to no one's real surprise. This is what a consistently good contestant doing good work and getting to the final looks like. With two other actually good "rivals", it wasn't all the dramas, but it wasn't boring either because? FOOD!

I did feel for Ben being sort of lost in the confetti storm. It seemed like a bit before anyone moved to go to him, but that could have been editing.

My feelings for Ludo in this episode are mixed. I was glad Jen's mom had her back to Jen and Ludo because if I'd seen someone kick/stomp at my kid? Production would have been halted. Yet, all the 'heehee, Ludo's a bad losing loser! hawhaw!' was a teeny bit funny in the mess of not coolness. The section where Nigella was holding out her hand to Pouty Sad Ludo and coaxing him to join her and AB felt like it was meant to be silly fun. The others? We didn't need them, as they just were more and exaggerated 'Ludo the Mad Frenchman' with the "running off with the trophy" gag and the "pretending to destroy what eluded me" gag. ( Also? I want to know who covets The Taste's trophy, besides the folks actually vying for it. I think Dancing With The Stars' Mirrorball is more coveted than The Taste's trophy.)

Depending on who's mentor/judging, I might be up for Season Four. Overall, it was fun!

• Love 1

I finally got to watch the finale (Thanks so much Comcast) Anyway, I'm a little surprised that Tristan came in third, but it was great that he not only got a job offer from Marcus, he got a plane ticket too. Benjamin just annoyed me this episode, so I'm glad he did win, so I'm OK with Gabe winning.

Add me to the list of people who think they need new mentors. I'm pretty sure that everyone knows why Nigella needs to be gone, but I also think they need to replace Ludo because I'm sick of his "screaming, angry, bad loser, French chef" routine. & Tony needs to be replaced because for all of his travels & experience in other countries, he is very limited as to what he really likes & he judges that way. When they showed a previously clip of the judges tasting something & he said that was exactly what he wanted to eat when he had a hangover, & Marcus said something about it actually being what he wanted to eat all the time, he was right. Tony like Asian street food & anything similar. Anything that doesn't have that flavor profile isn't as good to him & they need a judge with a more varied palate. 

( Also? I want to know who covets The Taste's trophy, besides the folks actually vying for it. I think Dancing With The Stars' Mirrorball is more coveted than The Taste's trophy.)

Everyone who knows they'll never be good enough to earn the coveted Masterchef trophy.

Add me to the list of people who think they need new mentors. I'm pretty sure that everyone knows why Nigella needs to be gone, but I also think they need to replace Ludo because I'm sick of his "screaming, angry, bad loser, French chef" routine.

If they ever got rid of Ludo I'd pretty much be out of things to watch on this show, and probably wouldn't bother.

• Love 2

I love Ludo on the show. He is crazy with a capital "C" and I could never work with him but he brings the entertainment factor to the show. In the cook-offs, I felt my blood pressure rising just from watching his antics... the man is nuts.

Loved his expressions at the end of the finale show. The epitome of a sore loser... reminds me of grumpy cat.

I really think that Nigella tries her best but unfortunately she does not get the best cooks because all the good ones choose the other mentors. I think Tony, Ludo and Marcus create a good dynamic and should definitely stay on as mentors. 

I don't really watch other competitive cooking shows except for Top Chef but in terms of "coveted titles" for a show along these lines... it seems like Top Chef is more prestigious no?

Edited by Bandolero
  • Love 1

He is talking about Trois Mec and Tony isn't the only one who regards it highly.

"Highly", I'd understand. I just thought it was overreaching to call it the "best". LA has a lot of great restaurants, after all.

It was great to see Jonathan Waxman--big fan ever since seeing him on Top Chef Masters. I think this season had my favorite guest mentors,. And I think they weren't just saying it for effect that this finale had the best food. Even Ludo seemed to agree with that. It really looked delicious and ITA more creative than what I remember from Top Chef. I hope something good happens for Benjamin. You'd think there'd at least be 10k and 5k for the 2 who didn't win...some prize. Shows like this can definitely afford it.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

I did feel for Ben being sort of lost in the confetti storm. It seemed like a bit before anyone moved to go to him, but that could have been editing.

It's the curse of the runner up in all reality competition shows. Every other non winner gets a warm send off with hugs and messages and video tributes, and the runner up gets to stand there crestfallen in a swirl of screams and confetti until everyone on stage has hugged the winner. 

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 1

Before knocking white trash cooking, check out Ernest Matthew Mickles classic White Trash Cookbook, which includes such classics as Irma Lee Stratton’s Don’t-Miss Chocolate Dump Cake and Charlotte’s Mother’s Apple Charlotte. It's available at Amazon (the 25th anniversary edition) and it's a warm, wonderful, loving tribute to the way people have cooked and fed themselves for many generations. Doesn't matter where you live or what color you are -- there's a little bit of white trash in all of us.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Trash-Cooking-Anniversary-Jargon/dp/1607741873/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422144365&sr=8-1&keywords=white+trash+cookbook&pebp=1422144367888&peasin=1607741873

Before knocking white trash cooking, check out Ernest Matthew Mickles classic White Trash Cookbook, which includes such classics as Irma Lee Stratton’s Don’t-Miss Chocolate Dump Cake and Charlotte’s Mother’s Apple Charlotte. It's available at Amazon (the 25th anniversary edition) and it's a warm, wonderful, loving tribute to the way people have cooked and fed themselves for many generations. Doesn't matter where you live or what color you are -- there's a little bit of white trash in all of us.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Trash-Cooking-Anniversary-Jargon/dp/1607741873/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422144365&sr=8-1&keywords=white+trash+cookbook&pebp=1422144367888&peasin=1607741873

I don't object to the food at all, but I object to what they're calling it. I'd be equally opposed to N-word cooking or W-back cooking used as descriptors for other types of food (there are others but those jumped out to me as the most obvious). Maybe it's just me. Comfort Food, Southern Style, Down Home, etc. don't bother me.  If I happened upon a place and saw "White Trash" anything on the menu I'd be outta there. It was the only thing that really offended me on the show - not because of what they made, but because of what they called it.

• Love 7

I don't object to the food at all, but I object to what they're calling it. I'd be equally opposed to N-word cooking or W-back cooking used as descriptors for other types of food (there are others but those jumped out to me as the most obvious). Maybe it's just me. Comfort Food, Southern Style, Down Home, etc. don't bother me.  If I happened upon a place and saw "White Trash" anything on the menu I'd be outta there. It was the only thing that really offended me on the show - not because of what they made, but because of what they called it.

ITA. The phrase "white trash" is basically saying poor white people are "trash", whether one is looking down at and stereotyping a home, a meal, a style of dress, behavior, etc.. How is that okay? I mean, there's a reason there's no phrase like "black trash". It was very unfortunate.

• Love 4

Ben was Ludo's guy, he should have stepped up and offered him something so that he wasn't the odd man out. Maybe he did later, but would have been nice to have gotten the recognition.

They may well have happened, but the conclusion of the show seemed really frenzied, so there was no time for the two of them to connect. Or if they did, it was edited out. The big story line they went for at the end was Ludo's bitter defeat. Because after all, The Taste is about the mentors, not the contestants.

Someone earlier posted about Ludo offering Vanessa a job. I missed that completely, and it surprises me, since she was Team Tony (in every sense of the word) and I didn't notice Ludo being enamored of her skills. Considering the high praise of both Ben and Gabe, I'm sure the mentors will be there to offer whatever career assistance they can.

During the final tasting, it was clear that Tristan's meal was rated a notch below the other two. But based on the comments, I thought that Ben had a tiny edge. Given all the emphasis on Gabe's gold star record and consistent excellence, it made me wonder (not for the first time this year) if the judging was truly "blind." In any event, the win was deserved. Other than Jenn lasting as long as she did, I think the show pretty much got everything right this year, with the three best cooks making the final three. (Any of whom I think would have a good chance of winning Top Chef).

I did find Gabe's "chill out bro" Brooklyn hipster personality to be a tad smug and annoying. But he was way preferable to Eric. Among a generally likeable and humble group of contestants, Eric stood apart for his air of self-importance, his humorlessness, and his sour grapes attitude. His constant assertions that he was the best chef in the group were never borne out by his cooking. Yet he seemed clueless right to the end that he needed to stop talking the talk when he couldn't walk the walk.

In the shot of the eliminated contestants, Tom was the first one up to give the finalists a standing O. What a nice guy. I still feel that AB trashing him on camera was the low point of the season.

Next season it will be embarrassing when the only contestants who choose Team Nigella will be the ones that only she picks. I wonder if they will somehow tinker with the format to avoid that scenario. If not, she'll start out with the weakest team. Again. And likely be the first mentor out. Again.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4

I wonder if they will somehow tinker with the format to avoid that scenario. If not, she'll start out with the weakest team. Again. And likely be the first mentor out. Again.

I'd like it if it was a double-blind picking.  The judges should all make a spoon and then the contestants who get picked by more than one judge should try their dishes blind and pick the judge based on taste.  That could be fun.

I started watching this show this season and watched season one in the middle of watching this one.  I like it, although I do think the episodes are way too long.  I was rooting for Gabe to win since he has clearly been the best performer throughout the competition.  Good finale.

Really like this show. Format continues to feel unique. Bourdain, Ludo and Marcus are perfect but can we get a 4th on their level? Can I throw Stephanie Izards hat in the ring? She's an incredible talent and could hold her own with the other 3. Not to knock Nigella but she is out of her league.

Gabe had to take it. I'm amazed that he's only 23.

• Love 3

I also have a bit of a tough time with those who label food as "white trash." Every culture seems to have their own versions of comfort food, junk food, etc., though it seems some of it may be referred to as something that is considered more "trendy" like "Street Food." As someone who currently lives 45 minutes from the Mexico boarder and who has lived much of my career in various parts of Asia and who currently spends more time abroad due to work than I do in the US, "Street Food" is all the rage and any of my colleagues visiting either Mexico/Latin/South America or many parts of Asia for the first time always want to go out and get "Street Food" pretty much straight away as it has become quite hip or trendy to have "Street Food." Why the more (in my opinion) derogatory term "white trash food" is used for American food that is similar in concept is beyond me.

Also, Ludo is not the only one to have used this term on the show. Anthony himself used the same terminology and has also referred to food as "redneck" or "hillbilly." He did so just this season when one of the contestants (I think his name was Joe - he was originally from Kentucky but had since moved and owned a restaurant elsewhere - somewhere in Indiana, I think?) made a sauce/condiment for his dish and Anthony made some kind of comment about how it was "white trash" or something very similar.

In any case, I'm happy with this season's outcome, though I admit I was pulling for Tristen as I loved his personality and demeanor and he has already come so far - from McDonald's to The Four Seasons - and I really am curious to see where he goes with his career given the fact that he is still quite young and seems to have an awful lot of potential along with a very good work ethic and a willingness and desire to learn. I think he will make the most of the opportunity that Marcus has offered him and he will shine and eventually have his own restaurant one day.

If it wasn't in the cards for Tristen to win it all then I am glad that Gabe won since, as many others have mentioned, he really did bring it throughout this whole competition and won more gold stars not just than anyone else this season but more than anyone else for the 3 years that this show has been on. He clearly has a gift and I hope he has more opportunities beyond just an ABC Web Series as some of the dishes he put together really intrigued me and I would love to know more about how he thinks and how he puts a dish together.

As for Season 4 (if there is one), completely agree that it would be lovely to see Nigella replaced as mentor and put into more of a hosting or commentary kind of role, however as many of us have mentioned since the start of the season, this is very unlikely as she is an EP. It's just really embarrassing to have her ousted not just first but so embarrassingly quickly (and getting quicker each season). If she remains as a mentor she is going to have an extremely difficult time getting a good team together - she struggled even this year as every time she picked the same person as another mentor they ALWAYS chose the other mentor's team - even though some of them said that they really admired her, she got them into cooking, they would love to be in her kitchen, etc. The weakness of her team - or perhaps more accurately, the weakness of her mentoring - was very apparent when she lost every single team challenge this season. That is unbelievably embarrassing especially as those were all challenges where she dictated that her team would cook a very specific dish in a very specific way and she micromanaged them to death. Then she had the nerve to oust members of team and in the "farewell speech" she said on at least two occasions something to the effect that they should have been more creative or done a better job of "demonstrating their passion" when anyone on her team who dared to even think about or suggest to her that they wanted to do such a thing was sent packing by Nigella as they didn't follow her instructions verbatim.

At least this season had a good overall outcome and I was very happy with the top three as well as the winner. However, despite the good outcome this year, I think some changes to the show need to be made though I won't hold my breath for the show to realize some of the mistakes they've made and that they may try to improve things. Unfortunately I can't even imagine that they would even consider making some noticeable changes next season (if there is one) to help make the show more interesting as well as more sustainable.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 1

Really like this show. Format continues to feel unique. Bourdain, Ludo and Marcus are perfect but can we get a 4th on their level? Can I throw Stephanie Izards hat in the ring? She's an incredible talent and could hold her own with the other 3. Not to knock Nigella but she is out of her league.

I'll nominate Naomi Pomeroy.  I really enjoyed her appearance this season.   

I found Gabe bitchy re: the sour cherries.  I watched the show after reading the comments so I was already kind of watching for it, and he picked up the jar and opened it with no change in facial expression - it wasn't until he reached in and touched one that he was all "F****!" and "Woe is me."  

Also, I'm no chef, but if I want to add a fresh element to a dish that's both sweet and tart, I can think of about 5 fruits offhand that would fit the bill, all of which I'm sure were in the pantry.  Jonathan Waxman looked less than impressed re: Gabe's "I just want to go somewhere and cry" reaction.  

• Love 4

I've found Gabe to be kind of bitchy and snotty all through the season, which is why I was hoping for a Ben or Tristan win.  Both very talented chefs and nice guys, without the attitude.  I never saw Gabe as a hippie... way too high maintenance for that.

• Love 2

Nigella may be an executive producer of the show, but if ABC gets enough flak about her poor performance, they may not opt to renew. At which point I would hope Anthony would step up and give her the tough talk. I would hate to see this show die as I think the concept of blind tasting is what is needed in every high-stakes (money, job, etc.) cooking competition. If she comes back as mentor next season, I may just wait a few episodes and then start watching after her team has been eliminated. It's painful to watch her micromanage and make her poor cooks do stupid stuff.

• Love 4