Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: The Devil You Know

Reese and Finch are caught in a power struggle for control of the city's gangs when Elias is targeted by Dominic, the ambitious leader of the Brotherhood. Meanwhile, Root and Shaw disagree over how to handle a new threat from Samaritan.

• Love 1

So when Elias's number came up, Harold assumed he's Dominic's target.

But could not it be the opposite: Elias is the villain-apparent?

Well, that's what happened in Season 1--they thought Elias was the victim, and he turned out to be the perpetrator.  You don't think the show runners would repeat themselves, do you? That would be the lamest of the copouts. And for all my griping about aspects of this show, so beneath them.

There's always the possibility that Elias is both, too--it could be that The Machine has calculated that he has the potential to be victim OR perpetrator depending on how the situation shakes out.

Heh, I wonder if Finch would get his number twice if so.

"Anthony? I always just called him Scarface." This show does do some good fanservice. Kinda figured he'd be the one to bite it, but I figured Elias was going to go, too.

So now The Brotherhood and Samaritan are actively hunting our guys. How in the hell are Nolan and Plageman going to get them out of this box?

• Love 3

Elias protects his own.    Do NOT mess with him.   Dominic might be younger, but there is a reason Elias is still alive at his age in such a business.   

I think we know who Shaw's true love is.   It's not Root, it's John.   SHe was bound and determined to save his ass even after Root basically said she was in love with Shaw.   Shaw was all "Hey I thought we were just joking around."   I truly hope Shaw ends Root.   

What is Martine a robot?   A Cyborg?   something?

Fusco, the bumbling cop?   Yeah, he outthought the operative and trapped her with her own lies -- using plain old brains, not computers, not eyes in the sky, his own brain.    You go, Fusco.   "Ya think?"

• Love 11
What is Martine a robot?   A Cyborg?   something?

Fusco, the bumbling cop?   Yeah, he outthought the operative and trapped her with her own lies -- using plain old brains, not computers, not eyes in the sky, his own brain.    You go, Fusco.   "Ya think?"

She is truly dumb, isn't she? How could she fall for "Are you working with Chambers?"? If you are going to impersonate a DEA officer, either do you homework and know the relevant names (like Shaw did with Tomas), or avoid answering a question like that at all costs. Well, at least she didn't barge into the precinct guns a-blazing.

• Love 2

RIP, Scarface.  I'm sorry to see him go but at least David Valcin got some strong stuff tonight.

Great episode.  I really liked the attention spent on Elias in this one and how he played Dominic.  The war is getting even more interesting with Dominic going after Team Machine and Elias declaring war on Dominic.

LOL about how bad of a shot both Shaw and Martine are.  Martine is a good villain but shooting your target in the middle of a crowded mall is just plain dumb.  I know Team Samaritan has practically unlimited power but this kind of flaunting it is beyond stupid.

Loved Fusco being able to play Martine.

I kept expecting Root to be cradling Shaw when she put her out.

I love Fusco! 

RIP Anthony.  I was sad to see his demise.  I hope Dominic has a painful death.  Maybe his 2nd in command will kill him.  Dominic is never going to inspire the kind of loyalty that Elias does. 

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 4

Aww, man.  Near the end, I figured Elias was going to end up being safe, but then I knew that it meant Anthony/Scarface was going to go, in order for Elias to take a hit.  RIP, Anthony.  You were a good Number One.  Maybe David Valcin can fine another show, where he can be upgraded to being an actual big bad like Elias!

So, the good news: they at least get Elias out.  The bad news is that Dominic has now figured out that Riley and the "mysterious woman" are connected, and that there is a higher-up involved in all of this.  Sounds like he is going after them, so I wonder if this is going to make him cross paths with Samaritan.  Nothing good can come out of that.  That said, I do wonder if something is going on with his 2nd in command (I still just call him Marlo.  Jamie Hector will always be that for me.)  Between the conversation with Anthony and his reaction to Dominic saying "soldiers can be replaced", I have a feeling he's only loyal to a certain point.  I don't see him sacrificing his life for Dominic.

They sure did turn up the fan service for Root/Shaw.  Of course, I find it interesting that if they merely switch Root's gender and make the music slightly scarier, it would actually come off more stalkerish, then cute.  I suspect Shaw isn't going to be happy though.  Maybe Finch and Reese would have been better off handcuffing her to the bed, for their own safety.

Man, Martine just totally underestimated Fusco, huh?  He had her number, without even trying.  Then again, I guess I can't expect much from an assassin who just starts shooting up a public location, and can't even wing her.  Not quite sure what Greer sees in her.

Can't way to see what is happening next and the eventual war.  Team Elias!

RIP Scarface--I knew you were going to die, but what a way to go out. I totally called that that was Elias and Scarface's group home like the moment they set foot into the building, but that was still well done all the way around. I'm curious to see more of Bruce. And methinks Link is starting to seriously question his allegiance to Dominic.

On the whole, however, this episode should have been better than it was--it felt very disjointed, and the tension that should have been there wasn't, for me. Part of it is that, imo, it was too early for Dominic and Elias to come to blows like this--it needed more buildup. But a large part of it was also that while Elias and Scarface had some nice moments, it felt like all John and Harold did all episode was run around like chickens with their heads cut off. At the end of the day there wasn't a whole lot of "there" there, the episode felt like it was stretching 20 minutes of material over 40 (and this was like the third or fourth time in nine episodes this season the show has played manhunt--give it a rest, writers). Similarly, what we saw of the shootout was fun, but Shaw escaped from Martine way, way too easily (even if Root was helping via The Machine), and I honestly thought Shaw was written somewhat OOC in wanting to go charging to John's aid. Shaw likes violence, totally, but thus far this season, she's been shown to be by far the more rational and cool-headed of the Mayhem Twins relative to their cover identities. Root drugging Shaw also made that plotline end with a whimper instead of any kind of bang, though I laughed at Shaw passing out. Serves you right, Shaw, after you were such a pain in Root's ass all episode. Also, they're so married.

Really, Greer, you are going to be content with "Samaritan ran some diagnostics and thinks it's okay"? I guess that's the difference between Greer and Harold, because Finch wouldn't rest until he found the glitch, but still. That struck me as quite implausible.

The show really wants me to take Dominic seriously, but I just still don't quite feel threatened by him. Even tonight, he only got a partial win because Elias did something relatively stupid (went wandering around the city). Yeah, we gave up Scarface, but the score is still like Team Machine+Elias 469450, Dominic 1. I think it's because they keep SAYING Dominic is a big threat, but they're not SHOWING it. He was more interesting, and menacing, last week.

This episode obviously set up the rest of the season--Elias is going to go after Dominic bigtime, they're going to imprison (?) Shaw for the foreseeable future in the subway (ten bucks says she "escapes"/is found by Samaritan within another five episodes)--but for the second-to-last episode till the midseason finale, I expected more. Last week was a much more engaging episode, and given that Elias generally elevates the show when he's on, I wasn't expecting to say that.

She is truly dumb, isn't she? How could she fall for "Are you working with Chambers?"? If you are going to impersonate a DEA officer, either do you homework and know the relevant names (like Shaw did with Tomas), or avoid answering a question like that at all costs. Well, at least she didn't barge into the precinct guns a-blazing.

I agree she was dumb in the mall, but I actually thought her scene with Fusco really spoke to Martine (and Samaritan and Greer's) absolutely arrogance. They just assume they're smarter and better equipped and better informed and more efficient and more lethal and just better than anyone else. Hubris might be Dominic's great flaw, but tonight also demonstrated that it's Team Samaritan's, too, in spades.

The Fusco problem does annoy me though. It's really, really hard for me to buy that Team Samaritan is unaware that Lionel is a Team Machine ally. Their ears should absolutely have perked up the moment Fusco's name was mentioned (and also I wouldn't put it past Team Samaritan to just kidnap the guy like they kidnapped Grace last season).

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3

I thought it was relatively fabulous.  Love Elias and did not see the bomb safe coming. And LOVED his take down of Dominic with a single word:  "hubris." 

That's it in a nutshell.  Of course, John was there to save the day.

I know so many people ship Root and Shaw but I honestly think Shaw would throw herself in front of a bullet for John, not Root - she'd be more likely to shoot Root. EVERY time there is something like Root hanging onto her in the truck, we also get an eyeroll.  But she was quite determined to find John.

I was really hoping she would too.  The look she got on her face saying she had unfinished business with Dominic was the stone cold killer face that I've grown to love. 

The whole woman shoots like a robot Martine is the *opposite* of Dominic. She's not even aware of a long game, and doesn't seem to care.  I can believe she missed Shaw but find it a bit hard to believe Shaw had an automatic weapon at the counter.  Heh.

I hope that Shaw shoots Mini's face off; but in reality, he belongs to Enrico.  Who was absolutely hearbreaking letting his band of brother's brother go.  Very moved.

• Love 2

I will be VERY happy when Elias takes down Dominic.

Well, Elias has begun to retaliate.  Starting with Gino.  Dominic & The Brotherhood are going to lose all their recently acquired allies, one by one.  And Dominic is going to find out that all the talk he's been talking is only talk.  Because now he has to start walking the walk.

• Love 2

and I honestly thought Shaw was written somewhat OOC in wanting to go charging to John's aid. Shaw likes violence, totally, but thus far this season, she's been shown to be by far the more rational and cool-headed of the Mayhem Twins relative to their cover identities

I agree with this. I understood and appreciated the sentiment (loyal comrades have one another's backs, etc.), but the cards were mis-played.  Shaw did a complete 180 from Panopticon where she knew that one cover blown meant risk to the entire team.  Smart agents, esp. ones who have lasted as long as Shaw, know when to fall back, re-group, and get a complete assessment of the total situation.  Shaw in this ep seemed hopped up on amphetamines or as if she had been cooped up for weeks rather than just discovered.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 2

Another day, another loss for the Brotherhood. How am I supposed to take them seriously when they fail every step of the way.  I mean yea Dominic's a competent enough foil, but he's getting no results. Even the lame assed HR got a win on team machine every once in a while. I swear to god if Dominic winds up becoming a number that has to be saved from Elias...

Reese is starting to turn into superman which is beginning to get old. Good luck keeping Shaw in that subway. No way  will she allow herself to be cooped up for much longer. Fusco needs something to do other then being the comedy relief every week.

Finally, why in the hell doesn't the old man show his operatives photos of all of team machine?  It's not that hard to figure out that wherever Shaw is, the rest of the team can't be far behind.

'

I love Fusco! 

RIP Anthony.  I was sad to see his demise.  I hope Dominic has a painful death.  Maybe his 2nd in command will kill him.  Dominic is never going to inspire the kind of loyalty that Elias does. 

Speaking of Mini's second in command: did anyone else pick upon the fact that both Elias & Dominic have Scarfaces for their respecitve seconds?

Well, Elias has begun to retaliate.  Starting with Gino.  Dominic & The Brotherhood are going to lose all their recently acquired allies, one by one.  And Dominic is going to find out that all the talk he's been talking is only talk.  Because now he has to start walking the walk.

I was hoping for a montage of various previously-loyal-to-Elias mobsters being methodically taken out.  Then I realized that Elias's manpower may at this point be depleted.

• Love 1

This was a great episode.  For a criminal, Elias was quite likeable in this episode.  That last scene with him and the old photo of the three boyhood friends was heartbreaking.  Anthony/Scarface was loyal to the end, and I liked how - even when he knew he was going to die - he tried to undermine Dominic's second in command by needling him with questions about how far he would go for his boss.  It appeared to have worked, given that second in command's reaction shot when Dominic callously dismissed his dead underlings with the comment that they can be replaced.

• Love 1
So now The Brotherhood and Samaritan are actively hunting our guys. How in the hell are Nolan and Plageman going to get them out of this box?
I don't care, I just want it over. I'm very tired of them being hunted and having to work around the limitations that have been put in place. Bored now.

Also, Anthony Scarface was adorable and the very least they could've done was choose someone equally cute for Bruce.

• Love 1
Really, Greer, you are going to be content with "Samaritan ran some diagnostics and thinks it's okay"? I guess that's the difference between Greer and Harold, because Finch wouldn't rest until he found the glitch, but still.
That's because Harold's an engineer and Greer is a manager. ;-)

One thing that interests me is that Fusco still doesn't KNOW about The Machine or Samaritan. He heard the words "The Machine" in the episode where the courthouse blew up and said, "What's that?" and (presumably) was never answered. And then when he twigged Martine as being a phony, Harold just gave him the story that she's from "another agency."

This, I'd guess, is for Lionel's protection, he can't tell anyone about a Machine he doesn't know about. But he's going pretty far on trust of John & Harold (not to mention his crush Sameen & Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs). Initially, he was blackmailed into cooperation, but I'd think that a detective as good as Lionel might have figured out SOMETHING about The Machine or Samaritan...though if he actually verbalizes it (as Joss did), he might end up dead.

• Love 5

What is Martine a robot?   A Cyborg?   something?

These last episodes I can not help feeling that Samaritan is actually Skynet and Martine is one of its Terminators. Last night's episode she is emulating T-X (Kristanna Loken) by shooting wildly in the crowd without expression, without emotion. The fact that she is blonde and has her hair tightly in a bun on the back just enforces that idea.

• Love 4

Did Anthony say "Nos morituri te salutamus"  to Elias on the phone or am I mistaken?  Also thought Elias said something else in Latin right near the end but again, I could be mistaken.

I shall be the first to say it here - Anthony went out with a bang.

When Greer told her he'd give her something better to work with, I thought he was going to open the back of her head and put in a new chip.  I really did get the impression that she's a robot.

I really enjoyed the episode but I agree with ABay that Team Machine's limited powers are boring.

• Love 1

I found it interesting that Finch told Elias that his taking over the NY underworld brought order to chaos.  Quite the little mutual admiration society they have going there. 

Whether Finch likes it or not, he's learned to cut his loses, use every tool to his advantage, garner support through emotional ties, and get the job done.  It seemed like he used to struggle with that a lot more.  Maybe he's wise to keep his distance from the Machine as much as possible.  If his wish to make everything just to his liking was coupled with the Machine doing everything he wanted, Finch could become the most powerful man on earth. 

Elias told John and Finch that he was going to make Dominic pay for Anthony's death and they'd be wise to stay out of his way.  I wish that John had said "Can I help?"

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 2

It seems to me that, in each episode, Team Machine picks up a possible ally or at least someone who starts having doubts about the side he/she is on. The fake John, the international jewel thief, Shaw's protégé, now Dominic's second in command. I can't help but think we're going to get a Harry Potter ending in that when the Final Battle between Good and Evil happens, all these folks are going to come out of the woodwork to fight with Team Machine.

• Love 7

Not gonna lie, at the end there, when Greer told Martine "I'm expanding your capabilities", I was half-expecting him to plug her in for an upgrade.

I honestly thought Shaw was written somewhat OOC in wanting to go charging to John's aid. Shaw likes violence, totally, but thus far this season, she's been shown to be by far the more rational and cool-headed of the Mayhem Twins relative to their cover identities

I, too, thought it was OOC how gung ho she was about it, but her desire to rescue a team mate is in character for her (she's been off to rescue Root before, like in last season's finale, hoping against hope, and she took her partner's death very hard way back in her introduction episode, so she is team-oriented/connected to her colleagues). But in retrospect I actually think there was another reason for her strong reaction; she knew she had been compromised. So she must have known this op would have been her last hurrah. Exactly because she's cool-headed, I think she must have realised the implications, especially since Root told her she can't just get another identity. So I think she wanted to have one last shoot-out, of course saving Reese in the process, before she'd probably have to go into hiding. 

Speaking of Shaw and shootouts, that was an amazing shootout between two badass, extremely skilled gorgeous women that was taking place in a cosmetics store. Fantastic visual. Also fantastic? Root! And Shoot! My feelings! I loved that Root was genuinely upset that Shaw almost died and I love that Shaw was shaken by that. Shaw may act tough but we all remember her scared look when she thought Root was a goner, a few episodes back (not to mention, again, last season's finale). So, Root laid it all out. She cares for Shaw. Now all that's left is for Shaw to admit she feels the same way. Which she won't. Aw, those two!

Man, watching this episode was torture. Sweet sweet torture. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Literally. I also don't know how the episodes feel both like they're flying and like they last for 2 hours. So full of action and so fast-paced. I was waiting for someone to die but I didn't know who it'd be. I was even worried for Fusco for a hot minute, when there was a brief shot of the Doll Cam (continuity!) but fortunately that was just to tell us how Finch could see Martine. And until the end I didn't know if just Scarface would die (that was a given, since he got actual lines and a few really meaty scenes) or if Elias would go out with him. I really thought Elias would die when he went back in the building, because that would leave the team without a really important ally. And also because this episode was basically revisiting Witness, the episode that introduced Elias (with him and Reese trapped in a building and Finch telling them how to escape, plus those boardwalk scenes with poor Elias now walking alone). So until the last minute I was left guessing.

For me, the genius of PoI is that it's unpredictability lies in the fact we're presented with so many options. By the end we've called pretty much all of the possibilities, but we still don't know which one will come to pass. That's thy the tension is always at a maximum.

So. Scarface. Sigh. I felt that gunshot that hit him. I felt it in my gut. It has never been more obvious that he is the Reese to Elias's Harold. I loved seeing Elias so flustered over 'Anthony' being taken (and I loved Reese going "huh, I always thought of him as Scarface". PoI goes meta ever so subtly.). Loyalty goes both ways, and that's one thing Dominic does not have. The look on Scarface when Dominic tried to buy him off said it all. That wasn't even an option. I was happy to get the backstory there. That picture of the three boys was heartbreaking and it made Anthony's "I already got crew" line so much more meaningful. They were family.

I also loved the Scarface-Linc scenes. I loved that Linc, as a number 2 himself, figured it out and he didn't want to keep pummeling Sarface. That was so well written and well acted. I love that the writers take the time to make small but poignant connections between even tertiary characters. That's why we care so much about them. And that scene also planted a seed of uncertainty; in the end you could see Linc was side-eyeing Dominic. If no one matters, what's the point? Dominic better watch his back. Elias's rage/vengeance plus what I perceived to be Linc's disenchantment over the fact the Brotherhood doesn't know what loyalty means, are both dangerous things.

I shed actual tears over Scarface. When he was saying goodbye to Elias, when Elias was crying over his death, and when Reese said he was sorry he couldn't save him. What a great character he was. Silent but deadly. I'm glad we finally got a chance to hear more of his voice. David Valcin gave a great performance, as always, and he went out in true PoI bad guy fashion, upholding the tradition that started with that magnificent bastard Mark Snow and most recently claimed King George Hersh. Sigh. The pantheon of amazing not-so-bad guys.

So, Dominic is one step closer and now looking for Finch. And Martine, who scarily put everything together so quickly, now has a whole group of people hunting our team. And Elias, an ally, is now hellbent on revenge for his friend (like Reese once was for Carter, something I think Jim Caviezel conveyed wordlessly).

I love this show.

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 12

I call it a draw between Elias and Dominic tonight.  Elias lost his henchman/friend/ally, his banker's identity is now known, and Dominic is now investigating Team Machine.  However, 

Anthony/Scarface was loyal to the end, and I liked how - even when he knew he was going to die - he tried to undermine Dominic's second in command by needling him with questions about how far he would go for his boss.  It appeared to have worked, given that second in command's reaction shot when Dominic callously dismissed his dead underlings with the comment that they can be replaced.

For that alone, I call it a tie.  That little seed of doubt is going to grow.  And, as others have said, Dominic neither shows loyalty, nor inspires it.

I agree that the writers are backing Team Machine into a real corner here, and predict that the season will either end with things becoming even more desperate (their covers blown, at least one member killed, etc.) or that a big rabbit will be pulled out of a hat to provide some hope.  The beginning episodes of the season gave them some tools to hide--I'd like to see what the Machine is doing to fight back.

However, back to this episode, I think that Anthony is the one that ended up providing the one hopeful moment, with his interaction with Link.

Who was expecting the combination to be some of these?

abc_lost_numbers_tv_bumper_bumper_sticke

And I believe they showed Finch carrying the gallon of water to take care of filling Bear's water bowl before he left the Batcave.  I loved that little detail.  Was Bear lying near Shaw at the end?  That would have been a nice touch.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 2

I'm told that what Elias said at the end was latin for "I survive" or "I remain."

Anthony/Scarface was loyal to the end, and I liked how - even when he knew he was going to die - he tried to undermine Dominic's second in command by needling him with questions about how far he would go for his boss.  It appeared to have worked, given that second in command's reaction shot when Dominic callously dismissed his dead underlings with the comment that they can be replaced.

Yeah, I definitely think that Dominic's going to discover that when the risk/benefit ratio tips, he doesn't have anyone much loyal to him.

That's because Harold's an engineer and Greer is a manager. ;-)

snort.

• Love 2

I love the operatic grandeur of all Elias episodes.  He is magical, and the addition of his backstory with Scarface is a great counterpart to the teams within our team -- Harold/Nathan, Harold/Reese, Bear/Harold, Shaw/Root, Carter/Fusco, etc. etc.  There is still possibility for flashbacks with Scarface, since Nathan still does show up from time to time.

In the midst of all this drah-ma, Fusco comes up with a real rip-snorter, in asking how "Lucy and Ethel" are doing (Shaw/Root).  Just the right time for some humor.

• Love 8
So. Scarface. Sigh. I felt that gunshot that hit him. I felt it in my gut. It has never been more obvious that he is the Reese to Elias's Harold. I loved seeing Elias so flustered over 'Anthony' being taken

So what was the original plan with the bomb in the safe? Was Anthony always supposed to find a way to stay near the safe (maybe even in the exact manner that he did?), draw the attackers around himself, then let them know the code somehow and go out kamikaze-style? Or was Elias trying to arm the bomb right before Dominic's people entered the room so they would get blown to pieces as Elias and Anthony (and Reese, who was not part of the plan) escaped through the back exit? If it's the latter, then Reese got Anthony killed by interfering with the plan, didn't he?

Speaking of Shaw and shootouts, that was an amazing shootout between two badass, extremely skilled gorgeous women that was taking place in a cosmetics store.

They may be extremely skilled, but you'd never know it from this shootout. Neither of them hit her target, which is the same result two complete amateurs might arrive at.

• Love 1

I believe they showed Finch carrying the gallon of water to take care of filling Bear's water bowl before he left the Batcave.  I loved that little detail.  Was Bear lying near Shaw at the end?  That would have been a nice touch.

Yes, in the end Shaw was lying on a bed with Bear nearby facing her, and I even believe he gave a sad little yip there while he looked at her.  Bear knew that Shaw wasn't just asleep, she was incapacitated.  (Bear sad and worried about her, awww.)

I think I like Bear the most, although second place is a tough call.  Bear cares about all of them.  If suddenly someone needs protection in the subway, he's on.  If someone else needs to find a dead body in the woods, he's there.  If he needs to protect a car (from the inside), no problem.  If someone just needs a friend he's all over that. 

The fact that the rest of the group all feels the same about Bear is wonderful.  I'd feel sorry for the person who hurt or killed Bear, because they'd have the entire group go all crazy on their ass, and I bet the Machine would back them up.  Go Bear!

• Love 5
I, too, thought it was OOC how gung ho she was about it, but her desire to rescue a team mate is in character for her (she's been off to rescue Root before, like in last season's finale, hoping against hope, and she took her partner's death very hard way back in her introduction episode, so she is team-oriented/connected to her colleagues). But in retrospect I actually think there was another reason for her strong reaction; she knew she had been compromised. So she must have known this op would have been her last hurrah. Exactly because she's cool-headed, I think she must have realised the implications, especially since Root told her she can't just get another identity. So I think she wanted to have one last shoot-out, of course saving Reese in the process, before she'd probably have to go into hiding. 

I think that's a great analysis of what Shaw was probably thinking. She's definitely been shown to throw caution to the wind in the past when it comes to saving a friend, plus I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of her realization that she's going to have to lay low indefinitely.

• Love 2

Or maybe it's just that Reese has saved her life on multiple occasions, and Shaw understandably is skeptical that Root's reluctance to save him comes from the Machine, given Root's contempt for human life in general and Reese in specific.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

So what was the original plan with the bomb in the safe? Was Anthony always supposed to find a way to stay near the safe (maybe even in the exact manner that he did?), draw the attackers around himself, then let them know the code somehow and go out kamikaze-style? Or was Elias trying to arm the bomb right before Dominic's people entered the room so they would get blown to pieces as Elias and Anthony (and Reese, who was not part of the plan) escaped through the back exit? If it's the latter, then Reese got Anthony killed by interfering with the plan, didn't he?

I think the 'safe' was always just intended to be a bomb disguised as a safe.  If shit went down, either Elias, Anthony, or Bruce could arm the safe and have just enough time to escape.  Or do what Anthony did, which was to keep as many of the enemy in place as possible while pretty much begging Elias to give up the code, knowing that he'd certainly die as a result. 

Whether or not he intended for Dominic's second in command to escape with doubts in his mind about his boss, I don't know.  But I think that he felt that with Elias several floors below, Elias might survive.  He also knew that John was with Elias when he left.  He was probably hoping that John could pull of an Elias rescue while everyone was distracted with opening the 'safe'.

I fear that Bruce is Dominic's next target.  At least John knows that Dominic's men saw Elias with Bruce and know about him.  I was disappointed when Elias told Bruce that he'd need a new office.  I'd have expected Elias to tell Bruce to go to another location, even another country and they'd carry on their business through the secure lines that Finch could provide if Elias no longer had trust in anyone else.

• Love 2
Or maybe it's just that Reese has saved her life on multiple occasions, and Shaw understandably is skeptical that Root's reluctance to save him comes from the Machine, given Root's contempt for human life in general and Reese in specific.

Yeah, but Harold was also in Shaw's ear telling her very firmly that Reese being in danger didn't matter, she (Shaw) had to keep her head down. So that word came from Harold, too, not just Root. Plus, as much as Root and John's Mutual Disdain Society cracks me up to no end, I doubt she dislikes him enough to NOT save him if she had a choice. She's already saved his bacon several times, and this is war, as she's so fond of saying. They can't afford to lose a soldier, especially as Harold would go catatonic if he lost John.

In the midst of all this drah-ma, Fusco comes up with a real rip-snorter, in asking how "Lucy and Ethel" are doing (Shaw/Root).  Just the right time for some humor.

YES! I just came on here to post that Fusco easily had the line of the night with that zinger. I actually laughed out loud. Kevin Chapman has superb comedic timing.

Or was Elias trying to arm the bomb right before Dominic's people entered the room so they would get blown to pieces as Elias and Anthony (and Reese, who was not part of the plan) escaped through the back exit? If it's the latter, then Reese got Anthony killed by interfering with the plan, didn't he?

That's how I interpret it in retrospect, actually. Elias was so "John, just thirty more seconds" in the room that I definitely thought he intended to blow up everyone who was right behind them while the terrible trio escaped through the back. I don't think Elias' plan was at all to sacrifice Scarface. That said, I don't think they had the thirty seconds Elias was begging for, either, so I don't know that I would go so far as to say Reese got Scarface killed by messing with the plan. Just rotten luck that they didn't have another thirty seconds.

One of the things that really stuck out to me as I was thinking about the episode last night was a) the strong loyalty parallels between Team Machine and Elias' people and b) but also how much Harold was compartmentalizing that last night. Dominic's utter lack of loyalty all the way around was strongly juxtaposed against the two-way loyalty between Elias and Scarface (and Bruce), of course, as was Team Machine's care and concern for each other against Martine's new nameless, faceless gang. But Harold was really setting up barriers between his team last night, too. He wouldn't let Fusco help Reese after Fusco's brush with Martine, he (and Root) wouldn't let Shaw help Reese, he wouldn't let Reese help Shaw...Finch is slipping farther and farther into Murky Mastermind territory, and it's so interesting to me. It's happened in a lot of the B plots thus far, but I can't wait for it to explode into the A plot in a big way by the end of the season. I also have to say that I've really missed Finch in the last two episodes...hopefully that means the mid-season finale is going to be Finch-heavy.

It's not that hard to figure out that wherever Shaw is, the rest of the team can't be far behind.

Yeah, I also have to fanwank away that Root's patch is seriously messing with Samaritan, because you would also think that Samaritan would go back through footage of Sameen Gray and at least compile a list of people she's been around. Which would lead Samaritan to Fusco and Reese, at least.

With that said, now that Martine knows that something is hinky about Fusco, it's just a matter of time before she finds Reese, too. God, can you imagine trying to coop both John and Shaw up down in the turtle cave? Harold and Root giving themselves up to Samaritan might actually be less painful.

Oh, and a really nice character touch from last night: Shaw hopped out of the furniture truck herself, but Fusco helped Root down. So right on all three of them. (I miss Fusco and Root interacting. He has the best nicknames for her.)

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 6

Yes! I meant to comment on that line, it was perfect. Fusco brings so much to the show, even with his limited(-ish) screentime. Plus I love how often he gets to bust in and save everyone's ass, this season it's been more pronounced.

They may be extremely skilled, but you'd never know it from this shootout. Neither of them hit her target, which is the same result two complete amateurs might arrive at.

Ha! True that. This was a Network TV Shootout, where all the bullets magically miss every major player. At least they didn't hit any innocent bystanders, that's something I guess.

I will respond but after quoting this as well:

how much Harold was compartmentalizing that last night. Dominic's utter lack of loyalty all the way around was strongly juxtaposed against the two-way loyalty between Elias and Scarface (and Bruce), of course, as was Team Machine's care and concern for each other against Martine's new nameless, faceless gang. But Harold was really setting up barriers between his team last night, too. He wouldn't let Fusco help Reese after Fusco's brush with Martine, he (and Root) wouldn't let Shaw help Reese, he wouldn't let Reese help Shaw...Finch is slipping farther and farther into Murky Mastermind territory, and it's so interesting to me. It's happened in a lot of the B plots thus far, but I can't wait for it to explode into the A plot in a big way by the end of the season. I also have to say that I've really missed Finch in the last two episodes...hopefully that means the mid-season finale is going to be Finch-heavy.

I completely agree with this last comment. To me, it wasn't Shaw wanting to save John personally and Root stopping her from saving John specifically. Shaw and Reese are the more emotional ones (well, Reese is, and Shaw only if someone she cares about is in danger), or the more hot-headed if you will, and they're the ones who are the riskiest with their covers (again, Reese moreso than Shaw). It was the fact there are more important things happening. And Finch is the one who has to make sure everyone remembers that. Even Reese who is hugely empathetic, more than any other character, told Elias there were more important things than just the one life, that of Anthony. I agree that the Team can't afford to lose another member, and as someone said above I'm not sure Finch could handle losing Reese. He went to the building himself, after all.

Every single of these people has someone they care about (each other, mostly) and I'm sure they'd all break the rules/risk capture to save each other or even to avenge a death. But someone has to keep a cool head. That's why the team works. Even when one person loses it, someone backs them up. When Reese lost it after Carter, Finch and Shaw helped him out. Finch was a mess over Grace being kidnapped, and Reese was there for him. The thing is, they can't all lose it. Someone has to make sure of that. Usually that someone is Finch, and Root who is less emotionally attached to the others (except Shaw, of course). Finch is trying to juggle a lot of balls right now and he can't afford to be emotional. I don't blame him. But, yes, I am intrigued. He needs to clue people in more. He can't be the only one with the burden of knowing everything.

In a way, Root protecting Shaw was also a sign of loyalty to the team and the Machine. She did what was best for everyone. Not only in terms of Shaw possibly getting killed, but also in terms of keeping Shaw underground and avoiding detection for the entire team. Shaw herself did the same to Reese a few episodes back.

Loyalty aside, the other takeaway of the episode was that Greer knows about the blind spot. And they know to use actual, human agents. That might make Reese's job more difficult. Martine was in Detective Riley's precinct, after all. If they do a simple follow-up on Fusco to make sure he is indeed a random detective, they might bump into Reese. Damn.

• Love 3

Looks like Dominic's second didn't like at all the men that well killed here and Dominic not caring and just replacing them with more.

It could lead to betrayal.

Bear will be there to comfort Shaw when she wakes up enraged

For a criminal, Elias was quite likeable in this episode.  That last scene with him and the old photo of the three boyhood friends was heartbreaking.

That's what makes him so compelling -- I'm no mob-apologist, but there is a real decency to him; remember how great a teacher he was!  I see Elias and I think what he could have accomplished if he had used his powers for good.  Although, not gonna lie, I'm really looking forward to him taking out Dominic, and I suppose that could be considered a good thing ;) .  He's a remarkably complex character, especially compared to Dominic, who basically has no characterization at all.  It doesn't help, too, that I don't think the actor is very good at this role -- Dominic seems to have such a flat affect, which, come to think of it, might be on purpose and tied to his failure to inspire any kind of loyalty.

"I always just called him Scarface" and "Lucy and Ethel" are tied as my favorite lines.  And Fusco schooling Martine was the best.  Fusco manages to be utterly ordinary and totally awesome at the same time, and I love it.

And yeah, I really did expect Greer to literally plug Martine into Samaritan.

• Love 2

"I always just called him Scarface" and "Lucy and Ethel" are tied as my favorite lines.  And Fusco schooling Martine was the best.  Fusco manages to be utterly ordinary and totally awesome at the same time, and I love it.

Yup yup yup.  I don't know if Fusco gets the best lines or whether Kevin Chapman makes them a 1,000x better.  It has been said before, but Everything is better with Fusco.

The first thing I thought was that whoever's stuff was being moved was going to end up with a nice motorcycle.  Hope Root did not steal John's expensive Italian one.  And good job bringing a helmet for Shaw!  I really hate when they show someone riding a motorcycle without a helmet.  I checked and it is required in New York, but even where it is optional I hate it when a tv show takes that route.

• Love 1

It's amazing how much this show can make me care about a character who has had hardly any lines, and who works for one of the "bad guys". But I was completely sold on saving Anthony. I strongly suspected he would die, but still held out hope. And I have no problem with Elias exacting bloody vengeance. I loved how they set up the relationship between Elias and Anthony a couple of episodes back, when Anthony shoots that guy who Elias wanted to question, and just says "Sorry Boss" -- his tone respectful, but familiar, as if he regretted possibly inconveniencing a friend, not as if he feared the displeasure of a dangerous crime boss. When Dominic's thugs are threatening and beating Anthony, it was beautifully clear that he would never betray Elias. Elias' reaction to Anthony being shot, and later killed, was lovely; he seemed vulnerable in a way we haven't seen before. I was kind of neutral on him in past seasons, but now I kind of love him. It would be awesome if Anthony's comments to Link end up turning the tide in this war. You could definitely see in Link's expression in that scene, and later when Dominic said the gang members who died were replaceable, that he is starting to think about whether he would lay down his life for Dominic (btw, excellent acting by the guy who plays Link). If that does happen, it would be nice if he gets to convey that to Elias.

• Love 5

I really hate when they show someone riding a motorcycle without a helmet.  I checked and it is required in New York, but even where it is optional I hate it when a tv show takes that route.

I really hate in movies or TV when the atomic bomb is ticking down "Ten... Nine... Eight..." and the good guys fleeing ground-zero by bike stop to buckle.  On.  Their.  Crash.  Helmets!!!

The combination was apparently a date (10/30/74).  Are we supposed to know it's significance?

Definitely someone's birthday.

I know Dominic's number 2 will betray him in the future but he should really have gone out with Scarface, that would've made Scarface's demise worth it. But I suspect his ability to survive will give Hersh a run for his money.