Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

But. I swore I wouldn't spend my VACAY worrying about that. It's on my mind,mbutnim not stewing because there are founder to be caught and shrimp to be eaten.

HFC, this is the best typo of the day.  The "former founder" has been caught in a way.  He's out of funding.  

• Love 8

Haha!!! I didn't even catch that!!! That is too funny!!! And it IS mind boggling that children so close to the ocean would have never seen it! I still remember my first sight of ocean (when old enough to have memory, I mean). There is just nothing to compare to that sight - the moment you realize how tiny you really are, in the grand scheme of things. My youngest son went on a field trip when he was in middle school that went around Georgia and stopped at as many of the significant spots they could squeeze in. Tybee was one of those spots - but we were already Tybee fans. That was a GREAT field trip, I was so happy he was in a school that participated in that program.

I truly really honestly sincerely (is that serious enough?) want to retire here. I told my husband today we're going to found a mission program on Tybee Island. Open to ideas; money is not a concern. (I mean, we'll NEED money, but can beg for it later).

And because I love a good story: my oldest son and his son came down once to spend a few days with us here on Tybee. My son and I were sitting on the beach, talking in the late afternoon while my grandson was playing in the waves. Suddenly, a van load of Hispanic guys pulled up in the parking lot - obviously construction workers - something white all over them, heavy boots, dirty tshirts, etc. Every one of them piled out of that van and ran at breakneck speed to the water, and KEPT GOING!!! They did!!! Ran headlong into the water at breakneck speed, fully clothed, boots and all. I'm not sure if they were celebrating finishing up a job, or having Happy Friday, but it was definitely a sight to see. We sat there amazed while they swam and splashed and played like children, but my grandson was oblivious to the whole thing.

They were only there a few minutes, and they happily climbed out of the ocean and went trudging back up the dunes to the van. One guy was straggling behind, and by then my grandson had returned to us. He looks at this fully clothed man walking out of the ocean, and says, "where did HE come from?" My son (who IS my child, after all) looks at his little boy and says, "you see that ship out there?" Freight carrier about a mile out, in the shipping lane coming into Savannah. "He jumped off that boat and swam all the way up here. I bet he's tired!"

I don't know how long we let him believe that (I'm not entirely sure we ever told him any better!). But I do remember the look of admiration and awe on that kids face while he watched that man walk up the dunes to the van. Timing truly is everything!

• Love 9

Haha!!! I didn't even catch that!!! That is too funny!!! And it IS mind boggling that children so close to the ocean would have never seen it! I still remember my first sight of ocean (when old enough to have memory, I mean). There is just nothing to compare to that sight - the moment you realize how tiny you really are, in the grand scheme of things. My youngest son went on a field trip when he was in middle school that went around Georgia and stopped at as many of the significant spots they could squeeze in. Tybee was one of those spots - but we were already Tybee fans. That was a GREAT field trip, I was so happy he was in a school that participated in that program.

I truly really honestly sincerely (is that serious enough?) want to retire here. I told my husband today we're going to found a mission program on Tybee Island. Open to ideas; money is not a concern. (I mean, we'll NEED money, but can beg for it later).

And because I love a good story: my oldest son and his son came down once to spend a few days with us here on Tybee. My son and I were sitting on the beach, talking in the late afternoon while my grandson was playing in the waves. Suddenly, a van load of Hispanic guys pulled up in the parking lot - obviously construction workers - something white all over them, heavy boots, dirty tshirts, etc. Every one of them piled out of that van and ran at breakneck speed to the water, and KEPT GOING!!! They did!!! Ran headlong into the water at breakneck speed, fully clothed, boots and all. I'm not sure if they were celebrating finishing up a job, or having Happy Friday, but it was definitely a sight to see. We sat there amazed while they swam and splashed and played like children, but my grandson was oblivious to the whole thing.

They were only there a few minutes, and they happily climbed out of the ocean and went trudging back up the dunes to the van. One guy was straggling behind, and by then my grandson had returned to us. He looks at this fully clothed man walking out of the ocean, and says, "where did HE come from?" My son (who IS my child, after all) looks at his little boy and says, "you see that ship out there?" Freight carrier about a mile out, in the shipping lane coming into Savannah. "He jumped off that boat and swam all the way up here. I bet he's tired!"

I don't know how long we let him believe that (I'm not entirely sure we ever told him any better!). But I do remember the look of admiration and awe on that kids face while he watched that man walk up the dunes to the van. Timing truly is everything!

Enjoy your every second on Tybee, Happy - it's a bee-yoo-ti-ful place. Just MADE for recuperative vacationing. Let all the sun and sand and breezes and shrimp - and vodka - soak into your every pore. Let it re-energize you for what will probably prove to be an interesting next few months in your family. ☀

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5

So happy to hear from you HFC.  I think of you evey day.  I'll have to go look at FB again at his page.  Shortest mission ever.  Well, being a SEAL and CIA or whatever, I'm sure he can work out, though I'm a bit disappointed that his government training in planning didn't seem to work out too well.

• Love 6

I quit attending a church because of the never ending potlucks ending with one email demanding that the ladies of the church bake desserts or prepare other finger food for some event or other.  There were at least four requests/demands that month.  I was done.  Not every church event requires food and after event socializing.

• Love 7

I come from a "potluck culture" and I would have been pissed by that temp agency and of course the J&D Goodbye Party too. I do think I've been guilty of throwing a potluck with people who probably thought WTF. I've learned its only for my immediate family because pretty much anyone else I know would find it odd. Lesson learned.

• Love 4

I enjoyed reading about the meeting of famous people. Years ago my sister, niece and I were in Newark Airport waiting for our flight to Chicago. Who passes us by - Tiny Tim ! He was alone carrying his little ukulele case. Of course, my niece who was about 10(she is 22 now) at the time had no idea who he was. My sister and I tried to explain Tiny Tim to hear. She thought the whole story was nuts.

HFC-have a great vacation. My poor sister just moved to S.C. in July and has had rain since Thursday. She lives on a barrier Island south of Charleston and they are in a state of emergency.

I have to say living so close to the ocean and having spent my summers at the shore my whole life, I take the ocean for granted. I think it is one of the most peaceful places to be and would love to live there full time. However, I need to win the lottery first !

• Love 6

I think potlucks can be fine within a circle of friends, as well as family. But yeah, it can be an odd thing beyond those parameters. 

Also, after those hoarder shows hit cable TV? I'm all squicked out by office potlucks. I'm serious! I'm not a picky eater, but at the last several office potlucks I attended, I quietly skipped eating anything that wasn't obviously purchased, prepared, from a restaurant, store, or deli.

My personal guideline these days (post Hoarders shows) is, I won't eat home-cooked stuff unless I've been in the home and seen the kitchen.  {{{shudders}}} 

Our family has both planned and spontaneous gatherings often, and potluck is almost always involved. But potluck is when it's family only, and when there's no gift expected. Birthdays, graduations, showers etc - the hosts plan and pay for everything. Anything else was considered beyond tacky. The only things my parents ever asked guests to bring were folding chairs, or a card table. Remember card tables?

PS - very good rule about what not to eat at a potluck. Unless it's a family event, I won't touch any dish with mayonnaise, or anything that doesn't look like it was adequately transported, heated, kept chilled etc. There were times when this rule really limited my choices at office parties, I'm sorry to say. But I've become a real fan of vinaigrette potato and pasta salads - you can usually count on them to be safe. Our family is really organized about things now too. My 20-year old nephew makes labels on his computer for every dish as it arrives & prints them out. Then if you really like something, you write your e-mail address on the sheet so the person who brought the dish can send you the recipe. And he came up with that idea when he was 8. What a smart kid...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 9

I think potlucks can be fine within a circle of friends, as well as family. But yeah, it can be an odd thing beyond those parameters. 

Also, after those hoarder shows hit cable TV? I'm all squicked out by office potlucks. I'm serious! I'm not a picky eater, but at the last several office potlucks I attended, I quietly skipped eating anything that wasn't obviously purchased, prepared, from a restaurant, store, or deli.

My personal guideline these days (post Hoarders shows) is, I won't eat home-cooked stuff unless I've been in the home and seen the kitchen.  {{{shudders}}} 

You ain't the only one, Suz.  I've been to my fair share of parties where I wouldn't use people's bathrooms in an absolute emergency, much less eat anything coming out of their kitchen.  I at least have the Crohn's Disease to fall back on as an excuse for why I usually only drink (soda or water if booze isn't available).  I find that people question you a lot less if you have something in your hand.  But yeah, for me, with my no-fiber, no-veggies, low-wheat diet, potlucks are a particular type of hell.  And my sister-in-law's family (with whom I'm forced to spend several holidays a year) absolutely live for them.  At least her mother has finally realized that I can't eat 90% of the food on the menu (and wouldn't if I could anyway because it's like the 1980's Women's Day cookbook greatest hits) and has begun providing me with cheese and sausage platters and melon plates.  And yes, I am that person who, if forced to attend, shows up with two twelve packs of soda.

• Love 6

Suz - I agree. I do not eat food at office parties unless I know who cooked it. I have to say I have seen some of the grossest and weirdest  food brought to pot luck lunches/suppers. I am not a big fan of pot luck parties.

• Love 6

I have a huge issue with the trend in Nora Roberts books where one of her women characters will straight up tell the guy she's not interested, so he grabs her and kisses her, and says she'll change her mind or something along those lines. I don't care if the characters are meant to end up together, kissing someone without their consent, after they've explicitly said they're not interested, isn't romance, it's assault.

I honestly believe Nora has some sort of algorithm on a computer that does a Mad-Libs type thing.  She inputs names, jobs, setting, and random point of conflict, the computer does the rest.  

• Love 5

"I honestly believe Nora has some sort of algorithm on a computer that does a Mad-Libs type thing. She inputs names, jobs, setting, and random point of conflict, the computer does the rest. "

Working on iPhone and don't have all functions - at least I can't figure them out - but this makes a whole lot of sense for more than just Nora Roberts.

• Love 3

From the Jill/Derick topic. This whole potluck thing strikes a nerve with me. I can unload safely here, thanks to all of you!

For some of us, the money was a nice little extra, and for others it means a lot more. In other words, this is a workforce of people - many of them at least 60 years old - who do hard work for low wages, on an on-call basis, with overall an amazingly solid work ethic. (See above, re reporting at "oh dark thirty" on a snowy morning if that's the schedule you've signed on for.)

Fast forward to early December 2012. An email from the agency to the temp event staff. It announced a "holiday" potluck, but also said it was a mandatory meeting, again at the downtown office - not their other office where parking is free. AND we were TOLD to bring something to eat for the potluck.

Yes. The agency was ORDERING people who work their butts off for nine to ten bucks an hour, to attend a mandatory meeting and PROVIDE FOOD for it.

I was stunned and angered. I didn't even reply. F them, thinks I. Apparently they got some pushback, because a few days later we got a much different email. This time the tone was very conciliatory and even apologetic, and they backed off the "you must bring food" message. I didn't go, since I was otherwise occupied.

Sorry for rambling on, but I hope I expressed how totally tacky and horrible that "mandatory potluck" email was. It should go down in history in the Bad Boss annals. I've not been associated with that agency for nearly two years now. They had a great thing going, with an excellent on-call event workforce, but over time the agency's treatment of their work force got worse and worse, with that email as Exhibit A. I've heard that several people are no longer taking assignments with them. No surprise. Karma's a bitch.

I think that may actually be a new low.

Your point about older people working brought our poll workers to mind. Every election, the polls are staffed mainly by seniors. I actually don't know where they find them, but we've had the same pair working our district since we moved here nearly twenty years ago -- and let me tell you, they were old then, they haven't gotten any younger since. But they're always there. Meanwhile their faculties are beginning to fade, and one can't really hear and one can't really see. So if you're in the A -K book, you have to basically shout out your name, and if you're L - Z you have to find the right page for the lady. Fortunately we're in a small town and the lines never really get that long, so folks are patient. Last year someone started grumbling a bit, and my neighbor hisses at her, "Don't fuss, at least we know how to work with these two. One of these years we're gonna have to break in some new old people."

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 7

I am an innocent, delicate little flower.  I don't drink out of something and put it back in the fridge.  I'd see my husband take a slug out of his pepsi or milk or whatever and put it back, but I didn't have any milk or pepsi, ever.  Why it didn't occur to me that many people do this as a regular occurrence is beyond me.  When I saw teenage boys doing this at other's houses, and anybody come by and take a spoonful or 2 of something in the fridge and put it back, you could have carried me out on a stretcher.  Oh hell to the no.  I know it is off of ME to be this way, but I don't, won't, can't stand it.  And I know cooks taste their own stuff.  At restaurants.  I don't.  Of course mine never tasted very good probably as a result of my not doing that and learning to adjust spices or whatever, but is bothers me.  BTW I turned on Animals LOL on TV and they have a cat video thing on for this hour and my dog is watching everything.  I don't think he blinks.  He sometimes whines, jumps around, is just fascinated.  Rather watch him than tv.

• Love 3

I don't do the in law family gatherings anymore because A) I could give a shit less and then B) I could really give a shit less.  They used to have parties at the drop of a hat, very kid had to have a party every friggin year, every graduation, every confirmation, parties for the siblings themselves.  I had enough after awhile and while I have very nice nieces and nephews (for the most part) in an offhand 'love ya but glad I don't see you every day way' I just had to stop going to save what little sanity I had left.  I only did special ones for my daughter, first birthday and second birthdays, communion, baptism, had the crew over for X-mas one year.  One of the other reasons I didn't care for having these shindigs was that no matter what occasion most of them didn't bring anything with that was an actual contribution.  I don't mind if someone says to me, I don't really have time to make anything for such and such, let me bring a few liters of pop, that's at least being thoughtful.  It was always the same four or five of the husband's siblings that would constantly pull this routine, not only at my few parties but at others as well.  

My work does that potluck stuff all the time...,which makes me happy I work from home.    

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 2

BTW I turned on Animals LOL on TV and they have a cat video thing on for this hour and my dog is watching everything.  I don't think he blinks.  He sometimes whines, jumps around, is just fascinated.  Rather watch him than tv.

Thanks..because of this post I just found something new to watch with my grandkids :) I don't pollute their minds with the crap I watch when I'm by myself.

• Love 3

First of all, I'm so glad the storm went out to sea. And HBB (I hope I didn't screw this up) I hope you're having a wonderful vacation!

Potlucks. We live on the West Coast, so most stuff is a potluck. We don't mind bringing a dish, but we mostly buy something instead. And I have been known to eat the stuff I can tell came from the store. Let me tell you about the most egregious potluck incidents. (Let's face it, I have a deadline and I need a distraction. LOL) My husband's family LOVES potlucks and has them multiple times per year. And I apologize in advance to anyone who has food allergies if I'm being insensitive, but I really don't mean to be. I am burned out with dealing with the food sensitivities/allergies/dietary restrictions of my husband's family. There's 25 when we all get together. It is virtually impossible to find a dish that works besides ice. We have vegans, vegetarians, gluten-free, will only eat organic, people in recovery, on and on and on. It's exhausting to think about, let alone attempt to figure out something to bring that will be edible to the vast majority. I know it's even worse for those who have celiac or another illness or condition that requires special food, but we've had far too many encounters with family members who flip out when their eating regime of the moment is not properly respected. We're invited for Thanksgiving this year; I dread the resulting food issues already. We once had macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving because one sister-in-law refused to allow a turkey at the table, for instance. She's now eating meat because she married a hunter, but it must be organic.

We've brought a lovely lemon vinaigrette potato salad before. This was greeted with lip curling and "That's a potato salad? There's no mayo or mustard."

Speaking of family, my sister-in-law (the same one who won't eat anything but organic) chose to get married on my husband's 40th birthday. (This was not a compliment.) The entire family would not attend his birthday party because wedding, and then they would not acknowledge his subsequent birthdays because "This is ______'s former anniversary and she is sad." Since she blew the entire wedding budget on a dress that was designed and sewn specifically for her (I wish I was kidding), all guests were told that they would be bringing potluck dishes to the reception. After all, this was their way of "participating". And yes, that was right on her invitation. Did I mention that the wedding venue was a two-hour ferry ride from Seattle? We did not eat any of the food because I know what happens when food is non-refrigerated for several hours. We left before they cut the cake.

And this same SIL is now back together with her husband, so I am (again) dreading what will happen next.

Edited by Missy Vixen
  • Love 3

My go to for potluck (except for the foodie couple we have hallmark holidays with) is fancy bread, that massive package of smoked salmon from Costco and a pint of tzatsiki. Go for it, seriously. i've never seen it last more than half an hour.

• Love 2

Years ago some friends of mine had a potluck wedding. When the invitation came  I thought it was terribly tacky. But she is a dear friend and everyone knew there wasn't much money. Since the wedding was pretty small it turned into this great little community event. everyone asked "what did you bring?" and tasted each others food, and we all bonded about cooking for this couple who we loved. My mom got up early ( which she never does) and dipped strawberries for them. Many people gave them the serving dishes as gifts.  I'm sure that s how people had weddings  way back in ye very olden times -  everyone brought food - not something from the registry.  It was a really sweet event.  ( and I'm pretty sure there was both refrigeration and heating available.

But Yeah, Jill and Derrick should have sprung for some cold cut platters.

If you like  Rom Com books, I recently read The Royal We which was fabulous!

HFC good to hear from you and I hope we hear from Wanderwoman again soon.

• Love 7

My go to for potluck (except for the foodie couple we have hallmark holidays with) is fancy bread, that massive package of smoked salmon from Costco and a pint of tzatsiki. Go for it, seriously. i've never seen it last more than half an hour.

Julia, will you potluck with me? ;-) That sounds delicious.

This is what would happen at DH's family's potluck.

1. There are people here who do not EAT SALMON. Why did you bring it?

2. There is GLUTEN in that bread. You should not have brought it!

3. What is in that tzatsiki? Are there animal products or is there gluten?

I have suggested more than once that the family celebrations be no-host and held at a local restaurant. I have not been successful. I was told that it is "too expensive".

MissyVixen - OMG ! I feel for you.

I feel better because I'm hoping I can get a big glass of wine and whatever forbidden foodstuffs I can get my hands on and hang around here on Thanksgiving weekend. ;-)

• Love 2

MissyVixen-I was going to suggest going out to dinner. But, I figured you had already suggest that and your family had said it was too expensive. Bring the wine for Thanksgiving.

I'm lucky, we are all picky, but there is never a problem regarding what foods to bring for the holidays. After your story, I am glad my family holidays are not so stressful.

• Love 1

TLC is really hurting folks. Makes me happy !

Tonight for everyone's (I imagine about 40 people) viewing pleasure they have a repeat of My 132 lb. Scrotum.  He used them as a tv tray.   

Then there is something about My 80 lb. Groin.     

The finale is Man Born Without a Penis     ( does he pee out his nose?)

They did not specify if they are from a plyg family or little people.

Could be they all dated Whitney Thorne.

Edited by Cherrio
  • Love 4

I guess I'm in the minority...I love potlucks, but they've always been with people I know fairly well, like church (at our last one, we had once a month Wednesday dinners, extremely well attended) or a small group at work. I love to cook, so I'm always game to take something, and I like to try new recipes. However, I'm fully over most things made with "cream of" soups, the only exception being good ol' classic grean bean casserole. In my formative years, lots of my older cousins did the fire hall weddings we discussed here (because money was tight), so I've been up until midnight making ham biscuits and chicken salad since I was a child. Thankfully, as time went on, they started to be catered. However, I've NEVER been to a meeting, wedding, etc. where I was expected or asked to bring food. Only for wakes, and that's not out of line (I think it's common to take food to the bereaved, either for the wake or for later.). But leave it to the Duggars to ask for money AND food at a party to allegedly thank their DONORS. Bless their hearts, they just don't get it. At least it was indoors...

• Love 2

Gosh, I am scared of almost anything......fast cars, heights, violent movies, etc. But it never occurred me to be scared at a pot luck. Maybe I should be? Anyway, I actually enjoy them, but do agree it needs to be the right time and place.

ETA: Missy Vixen, it seems that with so many attending your pot lucks who have issues, it would be impossible to make a dish acceptable to all. It would be much easier to just require an ingredient recipe for each dish and everyone just enjoy what they are allowed to eat. Aaaaan, why not turkey AND macaroni served at Thanksgiving? Seems so simple.

Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 3

Gosh, I am scared of almost anything......fast cars, heights, violent movies, etc. But it never occurred me to be scared at a pot luck. Maybe I should be? Anyway, I actually enjoy them, but do agree it needs to be the right time and place.

You should be scared of potluck unless you've been in the kitchens in which the food was prepared. I never thought that until I picked someone up to take to a potluck and ended up helping her get her food to my car. Well, lets just say I only ate my dish, bagged salad that I saw come out of the bag and a roll.

• Love 6

you guys are cracking me up about pot luck fears. My bff is vp of infection control for a large Southern hospital system, I never knew how many things there are to be afraid of in this world until we took a girls trip to NYC together a few weeks ago. Holy crap, from Marburg virus/flesh eating bacteria/plague/MRSA/hepatitis to strep/hemorrhagic fever. I wanted to bathe in Lysol and don a bubble boy suit.

• Love 6

But the more germs and bacteria you allow yourself to be exposed to, the better prepared your body is to fight back.

Not saying that will work with mrsa etc. but exposure helps to prepare your body for battle.

I like antibacterial soaps as much as I like balloons.

Enviornmental scourges.

Did you enjoy your visit?

• Love 3

But the more germs and bacteria you allow yourself to be exposed to, the better prepared your body is to fight back.

Not saying that will work with mrsa etc. but exposure helps to prepare your body for battle.

I like antibacterial soaps as much as I like balloons.

Enviornmental scourges.

Did you enjoy your visit?

Have you added micro beads (in skin care type stuff) to your list? Its on mine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/23/business/energy-environment/california-takes-step-to-ban-microbeads-used-in-soaps-and-creams.html?_r=0

• Love 4

Missy Vixen, I could have written your post about the food issues with the in-laws. Maddening! My SIL has, on more than one occasion, made herself a steak or burger, then served the other guests a frozen pizza, split six ways. You know, "because I have food issues." Hypochondria isn't a food issue...

I haven't posted much lately, but I have been lurking and keeping up with everyone.

• Love 5

For family get togethers we have everybody bring something different- last year for Christmas my aunt and uncle bought some amazing chicken and potato salad, my cousins bought more salads, breads and dip and we (the hosts) had dessert and seafood.  The only problem was that my cousin's kids are the pickiest eaters I've met. Little N who was about 9 would only eat bread with butter, breast chicken with no seasoning and then picked at the chocolate log that was for dessert.  Completely refused to touch any of the six salads (including the plain lettuce, avo, tomato, cucumber, carrot one), wouldn't dream of eating the lovely, fresh prawns and would sit in the corner with her brother on the iPad.  Her brother, who was 10, was a little better and would eat prawns but again, would only have bread with butter and plain chicken.  

It has gotten to a point where we are all a bit fed up with it.  The rest of us have unofficially decided that while we will make concessions for the two littles by making sure that we have  plain chicken and so on, we aren't going to be serving up spag bol on Christmas Day unless they bring it (which is unlikely).  It sounds tough but we have a table full of food that usually has 2 or 3 different types of meat, a variety of veges and other nice things and if they only want bread and chicken, well that is up to them. It sounds terrible when I type it out!

Edited by ChocolateAddict
  • Love 10

ChocolateAddict, your best bet is for the family to ignore the picky eaters. Let them eat bread and chicken. Literally, do not cater to them. One of my cousins, with whom we vacationed regularly, would only eat chicken nuggets and fries...and she was in the age range of 19-23 at the time. That's all she ever ate growing up. Whenever we went out, we had to make sure the restaurant had them on the menu. One night, we all (and this was a group of 12-15) wanted to go out to a Greek restaurant. She pitched a fit. We said, "tough." She managed to try a different version of chicken strips & potatos. She lived. She's 27 now, and has slightly broadened her tastes. Another anecdote: my brother went through a phase where he would hardly eat anything (around ages 6-8). He would be at the dinner table for HOURS because my parents made him take 3 bites of everything. He would eat peanut butter. The pediatrician told my parents that was a good source of protein, if that was most of what he'd eat. Long story short, he went through that phase and grew to be 6'4" and 230. He lived. I think most families go through the picky eater phase, but the key is how it's handled.

• Love 7

We've been hosting Thanksgiving for about 18 years now, and we pretty much know what we're making and what's being brought by whom. My ever-helpful sister decided early on that she would bring the wine. But she'd be coming in on a train, so she really didn't want to have to carry bottles around, so it would really be more convenient if we could just pick it up ourselves when we shop, and she could pay us back later.

In recent years she has further streamlined this system by eliminating the part where she pays us back. But every year at least a couple people remember to praise her choice of wine and/or thank her for her generosity. She is quite gracious in accepting all compliments.

True story.

• Love 18

TLC is really hurting folks. Makes me happy !

Tonight for everyone's (I imagine about 40 people) viewing pleasure they have a repeat of My 132 lb. Scrotum. He used them as a tv tray.

Then there is something about My 80 lb. Groin.

The finale is Man Born Without a Penis ( does he pee out his nose?)

They did not specify if they are from a plyg family or little people.

Could be they all dated Whitney Thorne.

WHYYYYYY did you post this??? Now God has laid it on my heart to watch the 80-lb groin and now I am going to hell, as the narration is cracking me up. The mom says, "I had no idea this would ever happen to my son." No, really?

I confess I have already seen the 132-lb scrote.

• Love 5

I re-watched the man with the 132 lb. scrotum.  It's horrible but I just can't help but laugh when his aunt tells him Satan caused his scrotum to swell.  She follows it up with "The devil is a dog."  Between that and the scene in which Warren tries to convince the doctor that his penis is 15" long, this sad story becomes really funny.  

As always, I'll let myself out. 

• Love 6

I re-watched the man with the 132 lb. scrotum. It's horrible but I just can't help but laugh when his aunt tells him Satan caused his scrotum to swell. She follows it up with "The devil is a dog." Between that and the scene in which Warren tries to convince the doctor that his penis is 15" long, this sad story becomes really funny.

As always, I'll let myself out.

So glad I am not alone. That aunt is nuts. And hilarious.

It is just starting again here on the West Coast. Didn't realize he was no longer with is; I saw this in 2013 or so.

• Love 2

As for picky eaters, I am one and my son is one. i can eat more than chicken nuggets and I grew out of a lot of it. My son is pretty bad though he'll eat more than just one thing. He showed signs of being picky when introduced to cereal and then with baby food and then with regular food. We've had him tested for Aspergers and while he's close he doesn't qualify. He does have sensory issues, especially with texture of foods and sound. We go by the advice and guidance of our pediatrician rather than annoyed family members. Because we've done all the suggestions and they didn't work. He would actually starve himself rather than eat something and according the pediatrician we do actually have to feed him. It's against the law if we don't, child abuse and all that. The pediatrician doesn't know about us forcing him on the ground and trying to force food down his throat.

All of this is to say we don't expect people to have a different meal out for them, but I don't understand why it's a problem or offensive if they only eat one thing. Why focus on what a kid eats during a family get together or holiday that doesn't even harm or hurt anyone?  Be assured they are not not eating as part of a plan to ruin the holiday. Moreover the more they feel pushed it's likely they'll dig in their heels. I would certainly be quite upset and avoid family gatherings if my kids and I were the subject of such scrutiny. Because I would assume that everyone would be better off if we didn't come. 

My husband has celiac disease, my niece is vegetarian, my sis-in-law had bypass surgery and another is lactose intolerant and yet everyone enjoys Thanksgiving and what food they can eat. Some adjustments are made if possible, but overall it's not seen as a burden and they'd rather people feel as if they belong. Of course everyone is grateful rather than demanding which makes all the difference.

• Love 11

How is this solution.  Let the cooks cook what they want and let the eaters eat what they want and whoever cries foul it's their problem.  Having been fortunate growing up and never being forced to eat anything I didn't want to I never complained about what was served and I  ate what I liked which wasn't much but that was OK with me.  Now I love all kinds of food.  If it's a huge problem at a gathering just leave delivery menus in the kitchen for anyone who needs one, expenses paid for by the eater. That's all I can think of.  

• Love 2

Years ago some friends of mine had a potluck wedding. When the invitation came  I thought it was terribly tacky. But she is a dear friend and everyone knew there wasn't much money. Since the wedding was pretty small it turned into this great little community event. everyone asked "what did you bring?" and tasted each others food, and we all bonded about cooking for this couple who we loved. My mom got up early ( which she never does) and dipped strawberries for them. Many people gave them the serving dishes as gifts.  I'm sure that s how people had weddings  way back in ye very olden times -  everyone brought food - not something from the registry.  It was a really sweet event.  ( and I'm pretty sure there was both refrigeration and heating available.

But Yeah, Jill and Derrick should have sprung for some cold cut platters.

If you like  Rom Com books, I recently read The Royal We which was fabulous!

HFC good to hear from you and I hope we hear from Wanderwoman again soon.

First my prayers are with everyone affected by the hurricane, especially those in S.C. which was especially hard hit.

HFC please enjoy your vacation.  Your daughter has a round trip ticket and can come home.  Where they live when they return is THEIR problem.  The hard part about tough love is the TOUGH thing!

I also write and have self published 2 Regency romances (my favorite era) with a third in the works.  Thankfully they have been well received.  I have a sweet contemporary romance that I might try to send as an unsolicited manuscript except I'm afraid they might edit it to death.  I'm not afraid of a good editor and critical review, but I think I might not recognize my own manuscript. 

Finally, I realize how lucky I am with regards to the family dinner thing.  When we get together we want all the traditional food made the way or mother and grandmother made them.  As the oldest I have all the recipes and take on the majority of the work.  My one sister in law is an almost vegetarian but always brings a nice appetizer and she will eat turkey.  When we have ham I make sure there are lots of other things for her to eat.  So, yes, I am fortunate.

One of the best weddings I went to was held on a farm.  My dear friend's parents owned a dairy farm and all their friends and neighbors supplied the food, pot luck style.   It was delicious.  The wedding cake was made by an aunt and was the best I've ever eaten.  And at 4 pm her dad and cousins donned their barn clothes and went to do the milking.  It was great!

• Love 3

I think that may actually be a new low.

Your point about older people working brought our poll workers to mind. Every election, the polls are staffed mainly by seniors. I actually don't know where they find them, but we've had the same pair working our district since we moved here nearly twenty years ago -- and let me tell you, they were old then, they haven't gotten any younger since. But they're always there. Meanwhile their faculties are beginning to fade, and one can't really hear and one can't really see. So if you're in the A -K book, you have to basically shout out your name, and if you're L - Z you have to find the right page for the lady. Fortunately we're in a small town and the lines never really get that long, so folks are patient. Last year someone started grumbling a bit, and my neighbor hisses at her, "Don't fuss, at least we know how to work with these two. One of these years we're gonna have to break in some new old people."

I actually know the answer to this!  They're hired by the state Board of Elections and can pretty much stay on until death.  There is a formula as to who works were.  I work as a poll watcher and challenger for my local party (or did until we had a falling out), and I got to know my poll workers very well since they all live in the neighborhood; one's an independent contractor and has a random schedule, and the other three are retired school teachers.  The independent contractor, who is the youngest of the lot, pretty much runs the joint.  If they weren't so sweet and weren't from the neighborhood, people would have long rebelled though. 

• Love 3

The horrific flooding in South Carolina is so devastating.  Hoping the floods recede soon and the recovery can begin.  NJ news, the sun is back, the waves have calmed, the beaches are starting to come back and the Seagulls are flying around the beach and are happy again. 

• Love 6

Greetings peeps! From the overcast shores of Tybee Island, Georgia (just south of charleston). .

Update on my daughter: . My best guess is that the board told them to come home and they've refused, so he's been removed as CEO. Which means that the already limited support they had is probably gone. I've been talking to my daughter regularly, trying to help her swallow the disappointment. They aren't ready to give up just yet, it's just a cluster all the way around. If they do come home, there's someone living in their house. Where will they go? And what will they do for money to even have a roof over their heads?

HAPPYFATCHICK.......Hope you are still enjoying your vacation.

I am a little confused about what you told us about your daughter's house. I know the board held an unauthorized meeting at her home, but now someone is living there? A family member? Random friend of SIL?

At any rate, hope they will return soon with your beloved grandkids.

• Love 1

How is this solution.  Let the cooks cook what they want and let the eaters eat what they want and whoever cries foul it's their problem.  

Pretty much.  Don't make other people's food hang ups your own.  And I say this as a picky eater.  If I'm going to a party at someone's house and I'm not familiar/don't like what they typically serve, I eat before I leave and then pick at the appetizers/cheese plate/bar.  It's not their fault I have issues.  

• Love 6

Of course everyone is grateful rather than demanding which makes all the difference.

That's the key thing.  When people focus on the enjoyment of getting together and can look past the food issues or take responsibility for their own food.  I have a few foods that I have to be careful about eating.  So I check things carefully but I don't expect people to change for me.  I am lucky that I don;t have any extreme issues so I can and do eat at potlucks, but if I cannot identify the ingredients in a dish, I skip it.  When I bring food to potlucks, I will list what is in the dish so people can tell.  I now am more likely to bring simpler foods, too, to make it easier.  I love a good potluck among friends.  I hate them at work.  Not a fan of forced events.

Also, I have been known to do what Lemur does - eat before the event so I'm not starving.  Then if there is not much I can eat, I'm okay.  (I once went to a dinner in which they decided to do a theme around fresh corn, kind of like the meal on Orange is the New Black.  Couldn't eat anything.) 

I am having a lot of remodeling done on my house. Had a total crush on the lead worker.  Then he talked to much.  Dammit!  I hate it when the cute ones ruin it by saying stupid things.  

• Love 8

The horrific flooding in South Carolina is so devastating.  Hoping the floods recede soon and the recovery can begin.  NJ news, the sun is back, the waves have calmed, the beaches are starting to come back and the Seagulls are flying around the beach and are happy again.

I am in turmoil. I am so distressed over the loss of the vessel and crew of the cargo ship El Faro.

My husband has spent his lifetime on the sea (Captaining the big guys) and what happened to the El Faro is every marine industry person's nightmare. What were they doing out there? This was actually a route my husband has been working (Jax to San Juan PR) and had told his company he would not go out into Joaquin. But many are pressured to stay on schedule. We will never know what particular circumstances pushed that cargo vessel out to sea.

My heart is breaking.

• Love 18

Best job I ever had regarding potlucks was the last one, where we never had them.  The employer did have budget for catered farewell or other celebratory lunches, which included all sorts of really nice food from the 3 star cafeteria downstairs, and enormous quantities of soft drinks, wine coolers, and canned beer (lots of imports) from the 2 star cafeteria downstairs.  And we could take the "extras" home...  All a buffet, no one's special recipe to praise or avoid, and the bosses got to see you participating (if you didn't, they'd come and drag you away from your desk).  But my very best potluck dish for the office is a chili-cheese dip.  Take your crockpot, a stirrer, a ladle for serving, a bunch of disposable styrofoam bowls, and one can of Hormel no-bean chili, one pound of Velveeta (cubed before you go in, or at the office if they don't freak out about kitchen knives), and two bags of Tostitos Hint of Lime chips.  You can double or triple up, depending on the size of your crock.  Start it on a slow/low cook when you get in, and it's ready for lunch.  Never any leftovers.  For extra pow, use the Mexican flavored Velveeta.  I've been medically diagnosed with Celiac, and it's not a secret (diagnosis, not fad, so back off office doubters!), so I try to have a backup food for my meal.  I've worked with diabetics who have had to be careful about what and when they eat, and they taught me by example how to push back at those who say oh a taste won't hurt you!

Nora Roberts:  I've enjoyed her books for over thirty-five years now, in spite of the fact that she only has about four personalities for her heroines, and four for her heroes (in the trilogies & quads one of the heroes is always a Fox Mulder clone).  Some of her most recent books do sometimes seem by the numbers, but they are also readable, and may be the literary equivalent of comfort food for me now.

• Love 4

I am in turmoil. I am so distressed over the loss of the vessel and crew of the cargo ship El Faro.

My husband has spent his lifetime on the sea (Captaining the big guys) and what happened to the El Faro is every marine industry person's nightmare. What were they doing out there? This was actually a route my husband has been working (Jax to San Juan PR) and had told his company he would not go out into Joaquin. But many are pressured to stay on schedule. We will never know what particular circumstances pushed that cargo vessel out to sea.

My heart is breaking.

NewDigs - please consider the LIKE button here as more of a SQUEEZE-AROUND-THE-SHOULDERS button...

• Love 21