Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

So get this- update on the Kissing delivery man. 

My manager wanted to know why this guy showed up AGAIN after they were told he could be moved. Supposedly they cannot move him because he delivers for the entire building. 

Heres the real kicker- I had the choice if I wanted to move desks so I wouldn’t be on the end where he could see and touch me on the way to the break room. Wtf. I am not moving my desk! I like my desk. 

I said “I just want to know he’s not going to kiss me again.” 

If he does (or says sexual things etc etc) I’m supposed to tell someone right away. 

3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

To me this would be unacceptable.  They CAN move him, they just don't want to.  It is a hired service.  A service that can be changed to another vendor.  There are countless companies that do this.  YOU, the VICTIM, have to adjust YOUR life and work space because this water company hired someone who has assaulted a client??  Scarlett, this is awful that YOU have to work around this scuz.  I am SEETHING!  I would be tempted to go out on leave until it was resolved.  Or write #metoo over everything he has to pass by.  No seriously, I would not stand for this and I am sorry they are making you be the decider on your comfort level at work to avoid the man who made you endure unwanted touching.  That should be a safe space.  I mean, is this water the best water in the world?  Cause your safety and comfort are WAY more important.  NO ONE including your employer is doing the right thing.  Except you who has done your due diligence informing them.  Disgusted beyond belief.

What @Natalie68 said. To the nth. This is hostile work environment 101. Your company has a legal obligation to deal with the situation.

On a mundane note and inspired by @Jynnan tonnix's post on sorting photos, has anyone used one of those services that scans photos? I have two boxes of photos that my sister and I salvaged when we moved Dad into his memory care facility and want them digitized but I have no experience with using a service for this and wondered if anyone had reviews, positive or negative.

And @galaxychaser, you likely know that Mike Pence calls his wife "Mother."  Creeps me the hell out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, jcbrown said:

What @Natalie68 said. To the nth. This is hostile work environment 101. Your company has a legal obligation to deal with the situation.

On a mundane note and inspired by @Jynnan tonnix's post on sorting photos, has anyone used one of those services that scans photos? I have two boxes of photos that my sister and I salvaged when we moved Dad into his memory care facility and want them digitized but I have no experience with using a service for this and wondered if anyone had reviews, positive or negative.

And @galaxychaser, you likely know that Mike Pence calls his wife "Mother."  Creeps me the hell out.

I haven't even though of digitizing my old printed photos because, frankly, I love leafing through photo albums and stacks of photos far more than I enjoy scrolling through the digital ones. Which isn't to say that I probably have close to 10,000 digital photos to add to all the ones I just sorted through. What I would really like to do is to figure out a way to get all Dad's slides either printed, digitized, or both. They were always his preferred way of getting pictures developed, and I would NOT let my parents get rid of them because I know there are some gems in there, but it's so hard to go through them to see what you've got. 

Oh, and yeah...that "Mother" thing is, like, reason 3784 that Mike Pence creeps me out...

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I haven't even though of digitizing my old printed photos because, frankly, I love leafing through photo albums and stacks of photos far more than I enjoy scrolling through the digital ones. Which isn't to say that I probably have close to 10,000 digital photos to add to all the ones I just sorted through. What I would really like to do is to figure out a way to get all Dad's slides either printed, digitized, or both. They were always his preferred way of getting pictures developed, and I would NOT let my parents get rid of them because I know there are some gems in there, but it's so hard to go through them to see what you've got. 

Oh, and yeah...that "Mother" thing is, like, reason 3784 that Mike Pence creeps me out...

I need to digitize some of them because my sister and I both wanted copies so I figured I might as well do them all. I also went through my Dad's slides to pick out the ones I want to have digitized. I bought a cheapie slide reader from Amazon (like $20) that allowed me to go through them.

Agreed on your assessment of Pence.

Warning, ridiculously long post ahead. Hi guys, checking in. Well, karma came for me. I told the problem l niece I was going somewhere other than where I actually escaped to so she would not decide to invite herself over. I got home Friday and decided to take a day trip with hubby on Sunday. As we were getting  close to our destination I asked him to pull over because I felt like I was going to throw up. He pulled over and I promptly blacked out. When I came to I was covered in vomit and continued to vomit for a while. He put the car in gear and said we were going to the hospital. I said why go to the hospital just because I was throwing up and he informed me that I had blacked out. We went to the nearest hospital where I was soon in the middle of a swarm of people. The poor guy who wheeled me into a treatment room had the job of getting me out of my nasty clothes. He was holding me up as he tried to hold a gown in front of me for modesty. Then he ended up having to undress me because I was so unsteady. Poor baby. He was more embarrassed than I was. Next there was a CAT scan I don't remember. Then they sent me to another hospital because they didn't have an MRI machine. The male half of the EMT team sat in the back with me because they all thought I might have had a stroke. Shortly after I got there a doctor came in and said I didn't need the MRI because she had seen my CAT scan and was convinced I had not had a stroke but I would have to stay because  my potassium was critically low and they would have to give it to me by IV. I felt better then and settled in to spend the night. The next morning another doctor came in and said she was ordering the MRI because she didn't like the look of the CAT scan. I spent the whole day going from one test to another. The last was  not over till  seven  thirty pm. All this time I'm telling everyone I have to be out  by Tuesday morning because hubby has a post surgery checkup and a radiation consult that I will not miss. I had to get the emergency department director involved because the neurologist that I had never laid eyes on was waiting for MRI results  and would not release me until they talked to me. The director called him and told him if he  did not see me within the hour I was leaving  and he could give me the results on the phone. I felt safe threatening this because this because all the other tests were normal. Meanwhile the original doctor was the one on rounds and she asked to see my blood pressure medicine, which I had asked hubby to bring for them to check. She said what I was taking would deplete my potassium and she thought all my symptoms could be traced to the low potassium and all the tests had been overkill.  She told me she would check the MRI results and release me herself if the results were ok. The in walks the neurologist who says all the other tests were normal and I can go and then see them in 2 weeks. I managed to be civil to him because I didn't want him to change his mind. I have to say the quality of my care by the nursing staff was excellent. The first night my nurse spent most of the night in my room trying to get the ratio of potassium to saline right because straight potassium burns horribly. I made the mistake of letting it go too far before I called her and I wanted them to cut my arm off because of the pain. I didn't make that mistake again. When the day nurse came on she made sure she would watch the ratio. It wasn't until Monday night that I felt human. Hubby went to see a friend whose mother had just died, I washed the crap out of my hair from the EEG, and I settled into bed and watched, wait for it, The Duggars on Counting On. I stopped watching a while ago and just read about them. I saw John David propose and watched the terminally boring Lauren and Siah on their honeymoon. It only took a few minutes of boredom to remember why I stopped watching. I was never so happy to get home to my own space where I didn't have to worry about strangers walking in at any minute.

• Love 17

@jjane, so sorry to hear of your scary experience. I remember my husband in the hospital getting potassium via IV. It was painful just watching how much pain he was in. I'm glad to hear you are okay now, you've been through more than enough with your husband's illness and niece's PITA-iness!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

@jjane, so sorry to hear of your scary experience. I remember my husband in the hospital getting potassium via IV. It was painful just watching how much pain he was in. I'm glad to hear you are okay now, you've been through more than enough with your husband's illness and niece's PITA-iness!

That potassium really does hurt and burn. I cried when they gave it to me before one big surgery.

• Love 3

Hello everyone! Tuesday morning we are having a home weatherization audit. The weather is not helping. We will get up to six inches of snow and cold temps by Monday evening. I hope they will not cancel since we had to wait for about a year to get one. So glad we got a new furnace and water heater last year. Going to be interesting to see what the guy doing the audit will say since the audit will be about two hours. I guess Mother Nature thought Montana needed a reminder of winter is really like since we had beautiful weather with decent temps and less snow before February.

Still looking for a job. The weather is not helping. I guess we will not be getting better weather until mid March. 

Does anyone have a WinnCo store where they live at? They are opening one on March 3rd in Helena. Should give Albertsons, Walmart, and Super One stores a run for their money.

Btw, I am using my husband’s iPad, and I am not impressed with it. Probably will go with a HP laptop when I get a new job, and a gaming console at a later time.

1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

Hello everyone! Tuesday morning we are having a home weatherization audit. The weather is not helping. We will get up to six inches of snow and cold temps by Monday evening. I hope they will not cancel since we had to wait for about a year to get one. So glad we got a new furnace and water heater last year. Going to be interesting to see what the guy doing the audit will say since the audit will be about two hours. I guess Mother Nature thought Montana needed a reminder of winter is really like since we had beautiful weather with decent temps and less snow before February.

Still looking for a job. The weather is not helping. I guess we will not be getting better weather until mid March. 

Does anyone have a WinnCo store where they live at? They are opening one on March 3rd in Helena. Should give Albertsons, Walmart, and Super One stores a run for their money.

Btw, I am using my husband’s iPad, and I am not impressed with it. Probably will go with a HP laptop when I get a new job, and a gaming console at a later time.

Best of luck with both the weather and the job! As a fellow job searcher, I can commiserate, because it's far from easy! As for the weather, you can come down to NC, because it's supposed to be 60 and sunny the next few days! It's been cold and rainy for about two weeks, though. Tomorrow will be awesome!

also, it's funny how regional grocery stores are. The only one from that list I recognize is Walmart! Around here, we have Food Lion, Harris Teeter, BiLo, lowe's foods, Kroger, publix (we just got them though!), and then the specialty stores like Earthfare (my favorite for produce!) and Whole Foods. Grocery stores seem like about the last things to stay so regional!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

There are several WinCo stores near my son in Puyallup, WA.  We go there.  Not pretty but very good prices and selections.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

There are several WinCo stores near my son in Puyallup, WA.  We go there.  Not pretty but very good prices and selections.

We have a WinCo in my city (Kent, Wa). We go every 2 or 3 months to stock up on their bulk food items.  The bulk food section is huge and I am always amazed at what's available, even spices.  Great prices on bulk foods.

• Love 3

The kissing delivery man has got to go. Okay, so you move your desk. But what if you have to go the bathroom or are in the parking lot coming back from a doctor appt? Moving your desk doesn’t do a thing. 

Someone with more HR experience than I will know, but there are some choice words that will get them in the right condition. You need to submit something in writing with those choice words. You can’t feel safe at work knowing there is someone who is, at best, impulsive going to appear at any moment. 

• Love 9

I have a question. How would you feel if the guy you’ve been dating for two years gave you a Weight Watchers digital bathroom scale for your birthday? Mind you I weigh 83 lbs so it isn’t because I’m over weight and it’s a snark to tell me to lose some pounds. I don’t know if what I’m feeling is wrong. 

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 3:47 PM, Christina87 said:

I call my mom Mother sometimes jokingly. It all started one day when I was pretending to be really proper, and she thought "Mother" was funny. I only do that in a joking way, though. Most of the time, she is Mama. 

PS...Buster Bluth does! 😂😂😂

Ronald Reagan called Nancy "Mommy".  take that as you will.  And, yes, I find it creepy.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I had literally thousands of photos of babies and children and families given to me by moms who I'd delivered.  I got to the point where there wasn't enough room on the half dozen or so bulletin boards I was using.  I ended up putting them into shoeboxes and mailing them off to a company called Britepix who digitized them and loaded them onto discs which I then downloaded into digital photo frames which I put in the exam rooms in my office.  I can't tell you how many patients remarked on how much they enjoyed watching the photos while waiting.  I also was able to get rid of drawersful of photos taking up space in my office. 

Alas, a few years back, the government cited an infertility practice for posting pictures of the babies born to their patients on bulletin boards, calling it a HIPPAA violation because anyone who recognized a baby would know the mother was a patient.  The hospital system I worked for then issued an edict that unless we had a signed consent from the parents of every single kid, we couldn't display the photos despite the fact that the parents gave them to me and certainly knew and expected that I would display them.  Since then, I've got the frames at home and I get them out when I have friends from work over and we all enjoy looking at the fruits of our labors.

ETA: I was happy with Britepix, I shopped around, their prices were competitive and they delivered the finished product quickly and it was just what I wanted.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I have a question. How would you feel if the guy you’ve been dating for two years gave you a Weight Watchers digital bathroom scale for your birthday? Mind you I weigh 83 lbs so it isn’t because I’m over weight and it’s a snark to tell me to lose some pounds. I don’t know if what I’m feeling is wrong. 

Maybe he's worried that you're underweight and wants to make sure you can keep track and stay healthy?  Unless you specifically requested a scale, it does seem like less than desirable present.  You've been seeing the guy for 2 years, maybe you should ask him why he thought of that gift for you.  Maybe he's just a bad gift buyer or maybe you offhandedly mentioned your bathroom scale was broken and he thought it was a hint?

• Love 11
21 hours ago, jcbrown said:

My mother has called my father "Dad" for ever.  It's no big deal in our home.  (They've been married for 72 years.)  I do not think it is odd, but rather a term of endearment.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I had literally thousands of photos of babies and children and families given to me by moms who I'd delivered.  I got to the point where there wasn't enough room on the half dozen or so bulletin boards I was using.  I ended up putting them into shoeboxes and mailing them off to a company called Britepix who digitized them and loaded them onto discs which I then downloaded into digital photo frames which I put in the exam rooms in my office.  I can't tell you how many patients remarked on how much they enjoyed watching the photos while waiting.  I also was able to get rid of drawersful of photos taking up space in my office. 

Alas, a few years back, the government cited an infertility practice for posting pictures of the babies born to their patients on bulletin boards, calling it a HIPPAA violation because anyone who recognized a baby would know the mother was a patient.  The hospital system I worked for then issued an edict that unless we had a signed consent from the parents of every single kid, we couldn't display the photos despite the fact that the parents gave them to me and certainly knew and expected that I would display them.  Since then, I've got the frames at home and I get them out when I have friends from work over and we all enjoy looking at the fruits of our labors.

ETA: I was happy with Britepix, I shopped around, their prices were competitive and they delivered the finished product quickly and it was just what I wanted.

Wow, that surprises me!!! My dad's dental patients are always giving him graduation / engagement pics, and he always displays them in the office. I guess no one has noticed that cares. I'm glad you found a creative way to still see your pictures! That's sweet that so many patients give them to you. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Maybe he's worried that you're underweight and wants to make sure you can keep track and stay healthy?  Unless you specifically requested a scale, it does seem like less than desirable present.  You've been seeing the guy for 2 years, maybe you should ask him why he thought of that gift for you.  Maybe he's just a bad gift buyer or maybe you offhandedly mentioned your bathroom scale was broken and he thought it was a hint?

@Mindthinkr that's what I was thinking too. I could see it if you'd specifically asked for a scale, but if not, I would feel weird about it too. I would have probably laughed when I opened it and said, "I love it, but are you trying to tell me something?" in a silly way. Also, I could kind of see it if you just started working out, or just started a diet, but even then, it could still come off strangely. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Scarlett45 I am so sorry that idiot is still around.  That is some fucked up shit, and I don't care what that company says, he can be moved.  I can't believe they can't give that idiot a different route.  I frankly don't know how the jerk still has a job, I thought we were all at a zero tolerance for that kind of thing in our workplaces.

jjane what a scary thing to have happen!  I'm glad it is just the potassium business and not anything more serious.

Tomorrow is colonoscopy prep day for me, which I am NOT looking forward to.  Yeah, I can do a day of just liquids, no big deal, got the lime and lemon jello in the fridge now, and a bunch of clear white grape juice and chicken broth.  Not to be indelicate, but have had a couple of bouts of the viral stomach intestinal flu the last couple of years, well I'm well versed there as to long periods in the bathroom.  Another it won't be pleasant but I can deal.  What I'm really kinda freaked about is being under or doped for the procedure, not that I really want to be awake for it but it scares me a bit.  When I expressed this to the doc during my consultation she did say it's the same stuff that Michael Jackson was on, to which I said 'OH EFF THAT' rather loud.  Thankfully she took my cussin' for the anxiety spirit was said in and assured me that it was all very controlled, I'd only be out 15 minutes.  I'm still wigging.  I know that it'll all be fine, but yeah I won't feel good about all of this til I'm on my way home from actually getting it done.  How'd it go for anyone else that's had it done?

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 5
44 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Scarlett45 I am so sorry that idiot is still around.  That is some fucked up shit, and I don't care what that company says, he can be moved.  I can't believe they can't give that idiot a different route.  I frankly don't know how the jerk still has a job, I thought we were all at a zero tolerance for that kind of thing in our workplaces.

jjane what a scary thing to have happen!  I'm glad it is just the potassium business and not anything more serious.

Tomorrow is colonoscopy prep day for me, which I am NOT looking forward to.  Yeah, I can do a day of just liquids, no big deal, got the lime and lemon jello in the fridge now, and a bunch of clear white grape juice and chicken broth.  Not to be indelicate, but have had a couple of bouts of the viral stomach intestinal flu the last couple of years, well I'm well versed there as to long periods in the bathroom.  Another it won't be pleasant but I can deal.  What I'm really kinda freaked about is being under or doped for the procedure, not that I really want to be awake for it but it scares me a bit.  When I expressed this to the doc during my consultation she did say it's the same stuff that Michael Jackson was on, to which I said 'OH EFF THAT' rather loud.  Thankfully she took my cussin' for the anxiety spirit was said in and assured me that it was all very controlled, I'd only be out 15 minutes.  I'm still wigging.  I know that it'll all be fine, but yeah I won't feel good about all of this til I'm on my way home from actually getting it done.  How'd it go for anyone else that's had it done?

I have done it 3 times. The prep is the worst part of it. I hope you have lots of very soft bath tissue. The procedure for me was a piece of cake . I wished I could go to sleep that fast when I go to bed.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Piece of cake.  I've done it twice, and both times it was actually a very easy procedure.  You are doing the worst part tomorrow (the prep).  You are "out" for a very brief time, and are ready to eat as soon as you leave.  Good luck!!!

• Love 5

Agreed that the prep is hands down the worst part. And don't worry about the Propofol (the stuff Michael Jackson was using). I've had it for eye surgery and it will make you understand why MJ liked it. I remember noticing that there was a needle going into my eyeball and thinking, "wow, if I were not totally doped up, this would be really disturbing."

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I had the Michael Jackson drug for my foot surgery.  It's great!  I was out like a light and I woke up instantly feeling WONDERFUL!

I've had 2 colonoscopies and it's easy.  The pooping is the very worse part.  I suggest Clorox wipes for your trashed toilet seat (the backsplash on the underseat- gross)!   And flushable butt wipes for feeling clean for that last bathroom trip at the hospital, just before they wheel you back.  

• Love 6

@CherryMalotte, the propofal is the best part. It will be completely controlled by the hospital staff and just for a short while. Michael Jackson was left ALONE and unmonitored. He would be alive today had it been properly administered. I’ve had two colonoscopies, and will not be worried at all about the procedure when it’s time for a third. Good luck to you tomorrow and Monday!

• Love 5

I've had a colonoscopy and agree with all those comments above about that drug. I was instantly out when they administered it, and when the procedure was done I woke up really fast with no hangover or other aftereffects. I'm very sensitive to lots of drugs and allergic to several - heaven help me if I ever have pain requiring opioids - but had no problems with that one.

And, when I woke up, like @CalicoKitty, I was hungry. I'd followed the advice of a friend and booked the procedure for as early in the morning as I could. Same friend drove me to/from the procedure. When it was over I treated us to a good breakfast. 

My prep the night before did really clean me out. But although I was prepared for it to be super-gross and unpleasant, it wasn't all that bad. Sure, I went to the toilet a lot but I didn't have any intestinal cramping or experience anything extra-messy. Whatever stuff they gave me to drink wasn't even awful. Hope that wasn't TMI.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I assume you didn’t ask him for a scale or say something like “darn it my scale broke”?? I personally don’t think a scale is a symbol of a weight problem, it’s a tool, like a measuring cup, BUT there are some things you just don’t buy for others unless they ask.

Any man over the age of 21 would know that was a gift in bad taste. Also it’s not a very fun gift! It’s like buying someone a set of measuring cups which is a piss poor gift unless you know they are really into baking and need them. 

• Love 4

I just had a colonoscopy last September and the not eating solids was the worst part for me but even the pooping part wasn't as bad as I was afraid it would be. But I do agree with the others who have said to use soft toilet paper and I also used the Cottenelle wipes.  I have a heart condition and when the anesthesiologist was talking to me before the procedure, she was talking about my "funky" heartbeat.  Yeah, I know my heartbeat is "funky" but I was determined I was going to have this done. Luckily I had just seen a cardiologist a couple of weeks earlier so they finally agreed.  They took me to the room and I was listening to the music and next thing I was back in the waiting area.  Looking at the note they gave me, I was under about 15 minutes.  When I got out I was starving and ready for breakfast.  I think the dreading it was worse than anything.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I assume you didn’t ask him for a scale or say something like “darn it my scale broke”?? I personally don’t think a scale is a symbol of a weight problem, it’s a tool, like a measuring cup, BUT there are some things you just don’t buy for others unless they ask.

Any man over the age of 21 would know that was a gift in bad taste. Also it’s not a very fun gift! It’s like buying someone a set of measuring cups which is a piss poor gift unless you know they are really into baking and need them. 

Hahahahaha I'm just imagining opening measuring cups on christmas morning...the disappointment would be real! 😜

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

If he has a Costco membership, they've been for sale there for around $20.  Seems like a good deal and he probably didn't even think about the fact that it's WW.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I think the dreading it was worse than anything.

Yeah I think that's it.   Anesthesia in any form spooks the daylights out of me, even if it's mild, like this appears to be.  Years ago, and right before I had my hysterectomy I had an occasion in my job to speak to someone who made a comment to me about how her husband had gone under for a simple (if there is such a thing) heart procedure and 'never woke up from the anesthesia'.  I know that she was speaking from her grief and pain, and the husband had probably way more medical problems than I will ever know, but for some reason that always stuck with me.  Add that to my already ramped up anxiety levels and the mind can play some heavy tricks.  I had the same freak out mode when I was in the pre-op area for the hyster, so I know logically I will just get thru it.  I appreciate all the good wishes and comments, it helps.  

It also helps that I like this doc that's doing the procedure.  My X-mas treat to myself this year was a sweatshirt that has on it Bailey Bros Building And Loan Association, Bedford Falls NY and was wearing this when I had my consult.  She immediately knew what this was from and we spent most of the consult talking about movies.  I totally appreciate no bullshit matter of fact doctors, but when you throw in a sense of humor or a flash of on the same wavelength personality it's a boon.

Any man over the age of 21 would know that was a gift in bad taste. Also it’s not a very fun gift!

Yeah I'm not getting this either...now obviously you must have some love for a dude you've been with for two years, so did you ask him?  Some men are just that clueless that their woman wouldn't appreciate a scale or other non-fun gift for their birthday.  Maybe he's just one of them. 

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, CherryMalotte said:

Yeah I think that's it.   Anesthesia in any form spooks the daylights out of me, even if it's mild, like this appears to be.  Years ago, and right before I had my hysterectomy I had an occasion in my job to speak to someone who made a comment to me about how her husband had gone under for a simple (if there is such a thing) heart procedure and 'never woke up from the anesthesia'.  I know that she was speaking from her grief and pain, and the husband had probably way more medical problems than I will ever know, but for some reason that always stuck with me.  Add that to my already ramped up anxiety levels and the mind can play some heavy tricks.  I had the same freak out mode when I was in the pre-op area for the hyster, so I know logically I will just get thru it.  I appreciate all the good wishes and comments, it helps.  

It also helps that I like this doc that's doing the procedure.  My X-mas treat to myself this year was a sweatshirt that has on it Bailey Bros Building And Loan Association, Bedford Falls NY and was wearing this when I had my consult.  She immediately knew what this was from and we spent most of the consult talking about movies.  I totally appreciate no bullshit matter of fact doctors, but when you throw in a sense of humor or a flash of on the same wavelength personality it's a boon.

Yeah I'm not getting this either...now obviously you must have some love for a dude you've been with for two years, so did you ask him?  Some men are just that clueless that their woman wouldn't appreciate a scale or other non-fun gift for their birthday.  Maybe he's just one of them. 

Oh gosh that is scary! I agree, though, that I bet the man had a lot more medical problems for that to happen, or was just EXTREMELY unlucky. 

Has anyone ever woken up during surgery? I was getting my wisdom teeth out a couple years ago, and they put me to sleep. Next thing I knew, the surgeon was saying, "hit it! Hit it again!" And someone was hammering on my tooth. I guess maybe that's what woke me up? My foggy brain thofuht, "oh no! I guess the anesthesia didn't work!" I formulated a thought and tried to say, "I haven't been to sleep yet," but all that came out was, "uhhhhh." Suddenly, all the hands were out of my mouth, and then I was back to sleep. That experience was kind of funny, but I can't imagine how it would have been if it had been a more major, scary surgery!

when I woke up, though, I felt so much better than I expected. I was worried I would look like those people on YouTube who are totally out of it, but I was basically in my right mind. I was CONVINCED my mom was getting me Arby's while I waited for her to get my meds  (which is funny because obviously I couldn't eat, annnd my mom is a health nut), but that was the only confusion I had!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Hahahahaha I'm just imagining opening measuring cups on christmas morning...the disappointment would be real! 😜

Well, shoot, I gave two people a set of measuring cups this Christmas (along with other things). But they were these really cool ones that are great for microwaving syrup, melting butter, measuring things that you need to be able to pour easily. I am a serious cook and have a tendency to give gadgets I discover as X-mas gifts to those who I think will enjoy them.

A scale, though--hell to the no. My cousin received a vacuum cleaner from her fiance as a X-mas gift before they were married. And yet, she still married him (she was still living with her parents when she received the vacuum so it's not like she needed one).

• LOL 1
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Well, shoot, I gave two people a set of measuring cups this Christmas (along with other things). But they were these really cool ones that are great for microwaving syrup, melting butter, measuring things that you need to be able to pour easily. I am a serious cook and have a tendency to give gadgets I discover as X-mas gifts to those who I think will enjoy them.

A scale, though--hell to the no. My cousin received a vacuum cleaner from her fiance as a X-mas gift before they were married. And yet, she still married him (she was still living with her parents when she received the vacuum so it's not like she needed one).

See Id rather have a scale than a measuring cup set! (Unless I specifically asked for one) 😁

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Now THOSE sound cool! I'd be thrilled to get a measuring cup with that much thought behind it!

• Love 6

Re: Waking up during surgery.

Years ago I had joint replacement surgery done on my right hand & was given the choice of general anesthesia or a local with something to make me groggy.  I should have gone with general but for some reason (which I don't  remember)  I chose the local.  I couldn't feel anything from my hand to upper arm as I was numbed up well.  I was in a dozey sort of sleep & could hear them talking but not understanding what they were saying. Things were going fine until I announced I needed to go to the bathroom part of the way through the surgery. They told me just to pee on the pad on the table, I had no other choice. I told them I wouldn't do that (like I had more class than to go to the bathroom that way. Lol.) I don't remember anything after that as they switched me to general anesthesia. (I'm sure to shut me up.) I was so embarrassed & mortified when I woke up and they told me what I had said but they assured me I wasn't the first. BTW, I wished I would have gone with general in the first place.  It was awful having my hand & arm de-numb gradually throughout the rest of day.  Kind of like novacaine wearing off in your mouth.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Re: surgery 

I had my hip replaced with a spinal and conscious sedation.  I remember zero.  However the doctor said the operating room folks were surprised that "such a nice lady knew all those words".  Apparently I can curse like a sailor when sedated.  He said they have to put the body in odd positions (and kindly left out the sawing bone part) - we had a laugh after that.  I really don't remember anything about the surgery.

I just had the cataracts done, different conscious sedation - had to be alert enough to follow commands, like "look up".  Nothing hurt.  The nap afterwards was great.

Re: the scale

Men are sometimes clueless.  Nothing more than that.  One year a long time ago I told Mr. lookeyloo I was watching my weight, don't get my anything with calories.  He got me a 5 lb. box of candy.  I said "what is this?".  Oh, well, I thought you would like it.  Clueless.  I ate one piece a day til they were gone.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Re: Waking up during surgery.

Years ago I had joint replacement surgery done on my right hand & was given the choice of general anesthesia or a local with something to make me groggy.  I should have gone with general but for some reason (which I don't  remember)  I chose the local.  I couldn't feel anything from my hand to upper arm as I was numbed up well.  I was in a dozey sort of sleep & could hear them talking but not understanding what they were saying. Things were going fine until I announced I needed to go to the bathroom part of the way through the surgery. They told me just to pee on the pad on the table, I had no other choice. I told them I wouldn't do that (like I had more class than to go to the bathroom that way. Lol.) I don't remember anything after that as they switched me to general anesthesia. (I'm sure to shut me up.) I was so embarrassed & mortified when I woke up and they told me what I had said but they assured me I wasn't the first. BTW, I wished I would have gone with general in the first place.  It was awful having my hand & arm de-numb gradually throughout the rest of day.  Kind of like novacaine wearing off in your mouth.

Awwww Barb, you are nothing if not classy! That reminds me so much of when you're asleep, and have to pee. Sometimes I'll dream about constantly stopping at toilets and peeing, but it doesn't help, and then I realize I'm asleep and really do have to pee. Our bodies don't want to do it just lying down like that, so I totally understand! And gosh does that sound awful. Having a numb arm / hand is the WORST. Could you feel them doing the surgery, even if it didn't hurt? Oh man, I'm too queasy for that. I would have said general anesthesia so fast I made their head spin, lol. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I have a friend who, as part of a long running joke, gives me something bright green for Christmas/birthday if she can find it. We both like to cook so often the bright green things are kitchen gadgets, and one year they were measuring cups. I smile and think of her when I use them. 

I guess all gifts are a know your audience thing... but I don’t expect that there’s a big audience for a scale. Yikes.

• Love 6

re: waking during surgery:

i was having surgery done on my foot and had general anesthesia. i woke up while they we literally sawing the bone, heard the saw but felt nothing. they real quick loaded me with more meds and i went to sleep.

and then i had an epidural with some drowsy meds for my hysterectomy when i was 29. i distinctly remember talking to doctor during the procedure, asking to seeing my uterus in the bowl and actually seeing it!  i don't remember anything else, just that!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Christina87 said:

Awwww Barb, you are nothing if not classy! That reminds me so much of when you're asleep, and have to pee. Sometimes I'll dream about constantly stopping at toilets and peeing, but it doesn't help, and then I realize I'm asleep and really do have to pee. Our bodies don't want to do it just lying down like that, so I totally understand! And gosh does that sound awful. Having a numb arm / hand is the WORST. Could you feel them doing the surgery, even if it didn't hurt? Oh man, I'm too queasy for that. I would have said general anesthesia so fast I made their head spin, lol. 

I dream about having to go to the bathroom & like you said there's always something that prevents it from happening (broken toilet, no door, long line, etc.) 

Re: hand surgery.  It was a long time ago but I think they gave me a nerve block from about the elbow down so I couldn't feel anything  incl them pulling & tugging on my hand plus I had the med to make me drowsy.  I do remember them doing the block with a lot of needles going in at different places.  Needles don't upset me & it's similar to dental work where once they get the first needle in to numb you, you don't really feel the rest.  My arm & hand nerves awoke in stages  but the pain came all at once, if that makes sense. I'm not sure why I wanted the nerve block vs general anesthesia. It may have been during my days when my sister & I were fixated on anything medical including operations.  I don't get queasy that easily & I think  with the nerve block I envisioned myself being alert enough to somehow watch the surgery. My husband is like you & said he would have gone with the general anesthesia from the get go. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I dream about having to go to the bathroom & like you said there's always something that prevents it from happening (broken toilet, no door, long line, etc.) 

Re: hand surgery.  It was a long time ago but I think they gave me a nerve block from about the elbow down so I couldn't feel anything  incl them pulling & tugging on my hand plus I had the med to make me drowsy.  I do remember them doing the block with a lot of needles going in at different places.  Needles don't upset me & it's similar to dental work where once they get the first needle in to numb you, you don't really feel the rest.  My arm & hand nerves awoke in stages  but the pain came all at once, if that makes sense. I'm not sure why I wanted the nerve block vs general anesthesia. It may have been during my days when my sister & I were fixated on anything medical including operations.  I don't get queasy that easily & I think  with the nerve block I envisioned myself being alert enough to somehow watch the surgery. My husband is like you & said he would have gone with the general anesthesia from the get go. 

Oh geez! Yeahhhh...no WAY would I have been okay with that. I'd have thrown up the second I felt the first tugging sensation. 😂😂😂 You are much more brave, my friend! Sometimes I wish I had become a dentist like my dad, but then I think of that kind of thing and get queasy. It might not be as bad working on someone else, though. It just grosses me out to think of what's happening when they're working on me!

@zoomama wow!!! I'm glad they knocked you back out quickly. Hahahaha your story gave me chills. I've gotta say, though, the uterus thing sounds cool. I would actually find that fascinating too, as long as I couldn't feel anything. 

• Love 1