Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

If it makes any difference, I personally will always choose a well-written memoir over a novel. Often, if I am reading a work of fiction, I will come away feeling almost cheated over knowing that the characters are just a product of someone's imagination. Not that I am knocking those with vision enough to produce a well-rounded character and compelling story out of thin air - it's not something I could do in a million years and I have nothing but respect for those who can - but there's something so satisfying, to me, about reading a true story written in a voice that makes you feel a connection with the author. The feeling of sharing in an actual person's thoughts, feelings, mishaps and adventures somehow leaves me feeling far more satisfied. I think there would definitely be a market for your stories!

Agree. I'm addicted to biographies and autobiographies for this reason, although in my day I chewed through Stephen King books as fast as he could throw them out there, which was FAST. And I read all the childhood and teen classics whether for school or for pleasure. But once I got into my 30s, biographies or stories about historical events began to take over. I can't explain why, but somehow - to me - being true makes it a better story. I just finished two books about Julia Child. Julia's Cats which was [duh] about Julia and the many cats who owned her, and As Always, Julia - a chronicle of the correspondence between Julia and her Cambridge MA friend Avis deVoto - and if you saw Julia and Julia with Meryl Streep, you know a little about them. Both very enjoyable reads.

Tip - if you like these kind of books, I suggest checking out C-SPAN's Book TV on cable [weekends only - I think it's covers the US Senate on weekdays]. I've uncovered boatloads of non-fiction/biography/historical books from Book TV.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 4

HFC, start the blog. It doesn't have to be perfect. You can even cut and paste from what you write here. There are no rules.

I iz an author. I actually get paid to write. (You can tell by the numerous grammar and construction errors I make...) You have talent. Write, write, write. It's the best way to improve.

You can do this. And I don't want you to look back and regret that you didn't try.

• Love 7

HFC, start the blog. It doesn't have to be perfect. You can even cut and paste from what you write here. There are no rules.

I iz an author. I actually get paid to write. (You can tell by the numerous grammar and construction errors I make...) You have talent. Write, write, write. It's the best way to improve.

You can do this. And I don't want you to look back and regret that you didn't try.

I concur, but HAPPYFATCHICK, please let us know where to find you when you do! Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 5

although i have not read all the comments, i get the gist of it as to HFC writing a blog. i do it and its is so cathartic. i chose for my target audience to be my grandchildren when they are older, although i just write what i feel like and occasionally share on FB. . i guess i am saying my purpose is for my grandkids to know me better through what i write. i can thoroughly recommend it.

also, just an idea....at the beginning of each january, i go to a site and load my blog for the year. in a few weeks , for a little $$$, i get a colorful hard bound book to keep in my 'library' that hopefully some of them will read when they are older. getting ready to print my 4th volume!

Edited by zoomama
  • Love 7

HFC, DO IT! You are so expressive in your writing that you would gain a great following of all kinds of people, but especially OUR generation who are dealing with the same sort of life.

For me, I never really post much here because my life is so...boring...but I am going through an unbearable bout of anxiety, finally sourced to the death of my sister around Labor Day. I can't even drink coffee anymore due to the heart palpitations. What sucks is that I had totally weaned myself off the anxiety meds and was fine for MONTHS, then this happens. It's so crippling that I had a panic attack at a card store yesterday. I had to send my husband to the store. The meds work intermittently. Spring semester starts on the 19h, but I don't know if I will be able to work. I actually didn't have insurance for four days (clerical error that we resolved), but even so my psych doctor is on vacation until next Monday. 

I just figure if I put it out there, it might go away, since I can't deal with people in the real world right now. What a fucking mess. 

• Love 10

HFC, DO IT! You are so expressive in your writing that you would gain a great following of all kinds of people, but especially OUR generation who are dealing with the same sort of life.

I had to send my husband to the store. The meds work intermittently. Spring semester starts on the 19h, but I don't know if I will be able to work. I actually didn't have insurance for four days (clerical error that we resolved), but even so my psych doctor is on vacation until next Monday. 

I just figure if I put it out there, it might go away, since I can't deal with people in the real world right now. What a fucking mess.

So sorry, SEW SUMI. What a scary feeling. Hang in there, and if you can't, maybe your doctor's on call substitute can help you. I'm pulling for you. Many hugs!

• Love 6

Agree. I'm addicted to biographies and autobiographies for this reason, although in my day I chewed through Stephen King books as fast as he could throw them out there, which was FAST. And I read all the childhood and teen classics whether for school or for pleasure.

Oh, wow, Stephen King books.  I remember starting to read them in junior high/high school and they would scare the ever-living bleep out of me, so much so, that I would have to stay up all night to finish them to know the ending, because I knew if I didn't, there would be nightmares all night!!  Not that there weren't anyway, sometimes!

And then, I think it was "It" that I started reading during college finals and I was sure I was going to flunk out because the book was so long and I just couldn't put it down to study.

Anyway, to this day, when I'm reading fiction, usually mysteries or some such, I make a point not to pick the book up when I'm going to bed, as I've been known to make coffee at 3:00am to finish the story, not that they are scary anymore, just that I get so caught up.  I remember the last Harry Potter book, I shut down my social media/etc and didn't turn on the tv. and read as long as possible the first night I had it and then got up and started reading first thing in the morning, because I had waited so long to read it, by god, I was not going to be spoiled!!

• Love 8

That's a great idea, zoomama.  I've written short (true and usually funny) stories for years, for my friends.  Years ago, we had an engineer placed in our plant short term.  He had to "live" during the week at a hotel.  He was bored out of his mind, and I began writing short real-life stories in a notebook.  Monday mornings, he would check in and come straight to my office for his notebook.  I still write him stories in emails.  That's been (holy cow!!!) more than 20 years ago.  Thankfully, we had a couple STELLAR candidates for subjects in that plant. 

Missy Vixen, I think I remember you posting something about writing before.  Fiction?  PM me what you write (and titles).

Love2dance:  I think it's exceptionally rude to talk about margaritas without sharing around.

Thinking about that plant made me reminisce to some of the characters, and now I have to tell you about R____.  (achel) because she wouldn't watch TV or comment on it if you beat her to death.  Rachel was a small woman with weathered skin and man-hands.  Small and tough as nails.  Didn't take crap sitting down.  She had long wild hair, mouse brown with gray sprinkled throughout.  She wore jeans skirts every single day.  With tennis shoes.  In the fall, she would add sweatshirts to this ensemble - in the winter, she added sweat pants underneath.  I never thought of Rachel as particularly religious, she wore the skirts because she sincerely believed women ought to wear skirts.  Important to this story is the fact that Rachel had no teeth.  None.  Toothless as a newborn baby.  She reminded me a great deal of Dirty Sally (of Gunsmoke).

One day, she comes to the HR department and sits in the chair opposite me.  She says, "I think something bit me in my sleep last night".

(Oh good!  I think:  it's not my problem!)

Oh yeah? 

Yep, and you'll never believe where.

(Oh dear, I think.  I bet I'm about to find out).

...Where?...

In my mouth.

I'm sorry... what???

Yep, I think I spider crawled in and bit me in the mouth.

What the...?  What?  In your MOUTH???  What makes you think you were bitten?

She hooks her finger in her mouth, pulls back the skin, tilts her head back (so I can have a better view) and says, "CEE?  Baa haaa (back here).  hee da bi luppp? (See that big lump?)"

Rachel!  I don't WANT to look in your mouth.  Ugh!  [And here's my sign and the punchline:]  Are you going to the dentist?

She pulls out her finger and studies me for a second (determining that up until then, she thought I was a lot smarter).  "I ain't been to the dentist in my whole life", she says, "I ain't got no TEETH!!!"

This whole conversation led to me eventually asking her age (politely, of course).  I mean... how long have you been without teeth?  Imagine my surprise when she announced her age (very proudly):  she was 35.  At the time, I was 34.   I walked around in a fog for days after that.  Rachel is 35.  Rachel is only one year older than me.  Rachel is 35. 

It was one of those conversations that make you stock up on Oil of Olay and make an appointment with your hygienist for next week.

• Love 13

OMG, HAPPYFATCHICK, now I want to read your engineer's notebook!

And yes, I will happily share my margaritas. The one I had was strong enough for three, at least, and led to a three hour nap.

I am a very cheap date.

• Love 6

Sew Sumi, hang in there. I think re-starting your meds is a great idea, and maybe practice some CBT too. I also suffer from anxiety and am also a mental health clinician. Anxiety/panic can be so debilitating, but can be manged as well. Warm & fuzzies coming your way.

• Love 8

For me, I never really post much here because my life is so...boring...but I am going through an unbearable bout of anxiety, finally sourced to the death of my sister around Labor Day. I can't even drink coffee anymore due to the heart palpitations. What sucks is that I had totally weaned myself off the anxiety meds and was fine for MONTHS, then this happens. It's so crippling that I had a panic attack at a card store yesterday. I had to send my husband to the store. The meds work intermittently. Spring semester starts on the 19h, but I don't know if I will be able to work. I actually didn't have insurance for four days (clerical error that we resolved), but even so my psych doctor is on vacation until next Monday. 

i do hope you can see your doctor and get this worked out. its miserable. anxiety is no joke.  

i do have a question for you.....wondering about your name...do you sew in the real world?

Edited by zoomama
  • Love 1

Happyfatchick - You have SUCH a talent for lively, engaging, prose-like stories ! It's a very rare talent to draw a reader in as you do - I was picturing Rachel in the flesh as you described her, and pulled back, physically, from my laptop when I got to the part about the spider in her mouth...

Get thee to a publisher !!!

A little update from my life on the house I'm looking at and the situation with the Devil Dog/Hound From Hell that I live next door to...

I called my property management company and before I got even 1/10th of the story out the agent said "Oh, you mean the dog that's trying to kill everyone ?", so they are aware of the situation, and have been in contact with the owner. Not much they can do until someone gets hurt, apparently, but they don't have to renew her lease, and it's up in just a few months. It's not ideal, but it's something...

And my SomePity Barbie Dreamhouse ? They rejected my offer, which is fine, because I know that not a single person has looked at the house since I did a month ago, and it's now winter, so they're stuck with heating an empty house, doing maintenance and winter proofing, etc. In two months my offer is gonna look pretty good, so I'm content to ride it out. If it's meant to be, it will... be. 

And to Sew Sumi - I'm so very sorry about your anxiety, and about the loss of your sister. Those are things we share in common, unfortunately, and I know how much it hurts. I know that can't be of any real help to you, but I hope you know I'm pulling for you, and I'm on your side. Many, many hugs. 

• Love 7
I called my property management company and before I got even 1/10th of the story out the agent said "Oh, you mean the dog that's trying to kill everyone ?", so they are aware of the situation, and have been in contact with the owner. Not much they can do until someone gets hurt, apparently, but they don't have to renew her lease, and it's up in just a few months. It's not ideal, but it's something...

For what it's worth, make a note of the date/time of this call, as well as the substance of the call somewhere, in a notebook or something, so you have some reference, if god forbid something awful happens.  For the record, I think your management company is going to be up a creek if something happens with this dog, since they are on notice, despite them saying, essentially, "welp, nothing we can do here".

• Love 5

For what it's worth, make a note of the date/time of this call, as well as the substance of the call somewhere, in a notebook or something, so you have some reference, if god forbid something awful happens.  For the record, I think your management company is going to be up a creek if something happens with this dog, since they are on notice, despite them saying, essentially, "welp, nothing we can do here".

Thank you, pennbenn ! I will definitely do that, as I hadn't thought to do that, so I appreciate the advice !

if I ever disappear from here for more than a few days at a time, you guys will know to check CNN for the headline "Awesome woman eaten by giant asshole's dog; Her ghost plans to haunt her forever..."   ;)

• Love 14

Sew: I hope you feel more in control very soon. I know anxiety just bites!!! I hate it for you. And I'm so sorry the loss of your sister hit you like that. I wish there was something we could do (or I could do). But we hear you - that has to be worth something, right?

I have an off the wall question, but I know someone has the answer. My hands stay rough and dry all through the year because I work with fabric every day. But in the winter, besides sandpaper fingertips, they also crack. Both my thumbs have painful cracks right now - starts off as nothing (like a paper cut) and just grows. Somebody (up north? Heck, I don't care WHERE you live if you know the answer). I've done Burts Bees, udder cream, Gold Bond, Carmex...just about every cream on the market. I've slept with gunk on my hands inside gloves... I need help. I need magic.

• Love 4

Sew: I hope you feel more in control very soon. I know anxiety just bites!!! I hate it for you. And I'm so sorry the loss of your sister hit you like that. I wish there was something we could do (or I could do). But we hear you - that has to be worth something, right?

I have an off the wall question, but I know someone has the answer. My hands stay rough and dry all through the year because I work with fabric every day. But in the winter, besides sandpaper fingertips, they also crack. Both my thumbs have painful cracks right now - starts off as nothing (like a paper cut) and just grows. Somebody (up north? Heck, I don't care WHERE you live if you know the answer). I've done Burts Bees, udder cream, Gold Bond, Carmex...just about every cream on the market. I've slept with gunk on my hands inside gloves... I need help. I need magic.

Humidifier, maybe?

Thank you, pennbenn ! I will definitely do that, as I hadn't thought to do that, so I appreciate the advice !

if I ever disappear from here for more than a few days at a time, you guys will know to check CNN for the headline "Awesome woman eaten by giant asshole's dog; Her ghost plans to haunt her forever..."   ;)

Great posts tonight all. Every time I read a group of posts as spot-on, edgy and downright hilarious as we've had here lately, I'm reminded of that great old George Burns quote: "Too bad all the people who REALLY know how to run the country are busy driving taxis and cutting hair..." No kidding, George. There's an awesome group of them right here. Case in point - last night I was leaving a comment here and sobbing myself sick, as we are all remembering lovey dogs we've lost. Tonight, I'm crying with laughter - even at the subject of killer canines! 

• Love 7

Well, our old, sick kitty that I posted about a week or s ago just passed away this evening. We hoped against hope that the fluids and antibiotics might help her, but, really, she was clearly slipping away. She rallied slightly a few days ago and was eating her food with a semblance of interest, but was so weak she could barely walk. But since she didn't seem to be suffering as much as just giving up the ghost, we decided to just treat it as hospice; make her as comfortable as we could and let her go naturally.

She was really my husband's cat through and through (all our cats always have been. He's a total cat-whisperer. Mostly they just ignore me like it's their job), and the hardest part of it is, for me, seeing him so broken up. And our younger son, who is living here at the moment is the same way. That "cat people" gene runs strong in that side of the family. Seeing the two of these stoic guys vainly fighting tears and trying not to let on that they were sobbing is more wrenching to me than the actual loss. It will be tough on our other kids as well when we tell them (though they knew it was imminent). It was a bit late to be calling them tonight.

She was just a couple of months shy of turning 18, and despite having lost quite a bit of weight over the past few years had really rallied, and had been doing so well just even back in August that I was planning on having an 18th birthday party for her and thinking that she could very well still have a few good years left. Even at Thanksgiving she was in the midst of everything and Queen of the house. Then she just sort of withered almost overnight. I still wonder whether something happened to her when she got out a few weeks ago and was outside for a couple of hours before we found her...that was really the beginning of the end, though she still seemed to be more or less OK until she started throwing up a couple of days later...and even though that seemed to clear up, she was never quite the same. On the other hand, she had been SO adamant about trying to get out at every opportunity that day...I caught her darting out three times that day before she finally managed to slip out somewhere along the line. I wonder if maybe she knew something was up and wanted to go away? I wish I had any answers...

• Love 8

JT ​I am so sorry about Kitty.  If they get old enough, the kidneys and liver just give up.  Cells can't live forever.  She might have picked up an infection that got the whole thing rolling, but when she got out that day, it was because she needed to.  The critters are like us, sometimes we just have to break free for a little while.  Blessings to your husband and son.  You know almost all of us here have been devastated and know the pain.

• Love 7

Well, our old, sick kitty that I posted about a week or s ago just passed away this evening. We hoped against hope that the fluids and antibiotics might help her, but, really, she was clearly slipping away. She rallied slightly a few days ago and was eating her food with a semblance of interest, but was so weak she could barely walk. But since she didn't seem to be suffering as much as just giving up the ghost, we decided to just treat it as hospice; make her as comfortable as we could and let her go naturally.

She was really my husband's cat through and through (all our cats always have been. He's a total cat-whisperer. Mostly they just ignore me like it's their job), and the hardest part of it is, for me, seeing him so broken up. And our younger son, who is living here at the moment is the same way. That "cat people" gene runs strong in that side of the family. Seeing the two of these stoic guys vainly fighting tears and trying not to let on that they were sobbing is more wrenching to me than the actual loss. It will be tough on our other kids as well when we tell them (though they knew it was imminent). It was a bit late to be calling them tonight.

She was just a couple of months shy of turning 18, and despite having lost quite a bit of weight over the past few years had really rallied, and had been doing so well just even back in August that I was planning on having an 18th birthday party for her and thinking that she could very well still have a few good years left. Even at Thanksgiving she was in the midst of everything and Queen of the house. Then she just sort of withered almost overnight. I still wonder whether something happened to her when she got out a few weeks ago and was outside for a couple of hours before we found her...that was really the beginning of the end, though she still seemed to be more or less OK until she started throwing up a couple of days later...and even though that seemed to clear up, she was never quite the same. On the other hand, she had been SO adamant about trying to get out at every opportunity that day...I caught her darting out three times that day before she finally managed to slip out somewhere along the line. I wonder if maybe she knew something was up and wanted to go away? I wish I had any answers...

So sorry, jynnan. It kills me to see crusty old tough guys cry too.

PS - I think some animals do sense what's happening and hide themselves away. When I was in middle school we got a darling 8-lb fox terrier who thought he was a Great Dane. Actually he thought he was human because he was 6 weeks when we got him, and he grew up with six kids from the ages of 14 down through to 8. So of course he thinks he's one of us. But he was the Robin Williams of dogs - constantly going, brilliant, funny as all get-out. Anyway he developed a bad tooth at the age of 12, so we took him to the vet to get it removed and brought him home, a little groggy, later that same day. A few hours later, he's standing by the back door to go outside and answer nature's call. We let him out of course, and never saw him again. About 5 years later, two of my brothers were hunting on my parents' 9 acres and found a little white skull that we think was his. When you petted the top of the skull, it felt just like Tony, minus the soft fur of course. So we're glad he stayed on our property at least, and didn't wander far off to die. Sniff, sniff. Now I'm sad again...

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5

I have dry hands in winter, although not anything like you do.  A few months ago I discovered a body butter which I am now using on my hands. It is made by Bee by the Sea and I been recommending it to anyone who will listen. It is not greasy and has a light honey scent because there is unpasteurized honey in it. [Do not use on children under the age of one year.] The company's website is beebythesea.com. They do not do animal testing and their products are paraben free. It is a Canadian company, but there are some retailers in the USA who sell their products. They also will ship products to the USA. Our weak Canadian dollar will make purchasing cheaper for you if you decide to get some.

• Love 1

Then she just sort of withered almost overnight. I still wonder whether something happened to her when she got out a few weeks ago and was outside for a couple of hours before we found her.....I wish I had any answers...

I think some animals do sense what's happening and hide themselves away....Anyway he developed a bad tooth at the age of 12, so we took him to the vet to get it removed and brought him home, a little groggy, later that same day. A few hours later, he's standing by the back door to go outside and answer nature's call. We let him out of course, and never saw him again.......Now I'm sad again...

Jynnnan, please don't feel guilt.  As Wellfleet mentioned above, it's well documented that sick animals just want to go off to be by themselves at the end, that you found her and she stayed until the end is lovely. And Wellfleet, well, oooof, I hear you. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 6

HFC - I know exactly what you mean re: the problem w/ yr hands. BTDT. This is what worked: O'Keefes Working Hands cream. It comes in a small round (2 shades of green) jar that holds almost 3 oz. & you can order it at any drugstore if they don't have it in stock. I live in GA, so since you're also a GRITS lol, you ought to be able to find it in yr area.

p.s. LOVE your stories!

• Love 2

Happy, when you say "udder cream", do you mean Bag Balm?  The golden creamy stuff in the little green can?  If you've used some other kind of udder cream, get yourself some Bag Balm. That stuff is nothing short of miraculous. I don't care how deep the crack in my bottom lip is when I go to bed. If I apply Bag Balm to my lips before I go to sleep, the crack is gone-gone-completely-gone-and-healed by the next morning. Works great for finger cracks, splits, dryness, roughness, dry nails and cuticles, elbows, knees, feet etc etc. The whole shmuhgeggie. I never experience thumb cracks in the Winter anymore, since I began using Bag Balm. I don't even have to use it every day - the benefits last for several days. Unless I've had lots of messes to clean up, hands in hot soapy water a lot etc. Good luck.

ETA - latetotheparty suggested a humidifier too. GREAT idea. Two Winters ago I began to get nosebleeds on a fairly-regular basis, every day or so. But the day after I placed bowls of water out in my apartment they stopped and I haven't had one since. I keep one bowl on the dining room floor behind my potted ficus, and one on my bedside table. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 5

Well, our old, sick kitty that I posted about a week or s ago just passed away this evening. We hoped against hope that the fluids and antibiotics might help her, but, really, she was clearly slipping away. She rallied slightly a few days ago and was eating her food with a semblance of interest, but was so weak she could barely walk. But since she didn't seem to be suffering as much as just giving up the ghost, we decided to just treat it as hospice; make her as comfortable as we could and let her go naturally....

So sorry JYNNAN TONNIX. But having almost 18 years of companionship and love is what I hope will console you and your guys. Hugs and sympathy.

• Love 4

That's a great idea, zoomama.  I've written short (true and usually funny) stories for years, for my friends..... 

HFC, please continue to tell your stories here if you want; but please also copy them to a place on your own site/server, whatever, I'm not so good with technology.

I just remember the founders of this site used to own another site that they sold.  And that's fantastic for them, no question, but long after the sale, the new owners of those forums shut them down and every word, thought and/or story that was told in those forums was lost forever.  Don't count on your spelling out your thoughts here as being a permanent home for them....make a duplicate record for them somewhere else if you don't want them lost or out of your control.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

Happyfatchick - You have SUCH a talent for lively, engaging, prose-like stories ! It's a very rare talent to draw a reader in as you do - I was picturing Rachel in the flesh as you described her, and pulled back, physically, from my laptop when I got to the part about the spider in her mouth...

Get thee to a publisher !!!

A little update from my life on the house I'm looking at and the situation with the Devil Dog/Hound From Hell that I live next door to...

And my SomePity Barbie Dreamhouse ? They rejected my offer, which is fine, because I know that not a single person has looked at the house since I did a month ago, and it's now winter, so they're stuck with heating an empty house, doing maintenance and winter proofing, etc. In two months my offer is gonna look pretty good, so I'm content to ride it out. If it's meant to be, it will... be. 

If you haven't already, try to get something in writing from your property management company. The easiest way is probably to send them an email; hopefully they will respond so that you have documentation that they know about the problem (and aren't doing anything). If something should happen between now and when her lease is up, it could be useful to have a record of their inaction.

I'm sorry to hear about the house, but hopefully they will come around. That's happened to a few people I know, so good luck!

JT, so sorry about your kitty. She had a long wonderful life with you and your family, and I'm sure she knew how much you all loved her.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2

JT - so sorry about the kitty too.  As I have posted, we have had more than enough experiences with that particular situation and none of them are easy to get over.

HFC - please take under advisement the recommendations made re: more stories and keeping them save somewhere.

• Love 1

Hey, I'm three years down the road from my father's passing and I still have bouts of uncontrollable anxiety and (shocker, I know) anger.  Just hold fast.  I'd like to tell you that it gets better, but the truth is we just learn to manage it.  Though I did try to put my fist through the wall over the holidays when my idiot brother tipped my mother into Hallmark Family Christmas overdrive.  Some people get anxious, I turn into the goddamned Hulk.  You'll be okay.  You might need to have your meds tweaked (thank God you got your coverage sorted out), but you'll be okay.

JT, I'm so sorry.  It's never easy to lose a pet, even if she favored your husband.  

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 3

good morning all.  waiting for the rain to start again. it was pouring yesterday and i loved it! we have about 5 days straight to get through so as much as i like rainy days, i pray that no landslides happen etc.

whoever recommended the humidifier - thanks. gonna get mine out and use it tonight. my sinuses are dying with needing the heater on. that should make a huge difference.

JT - sorry about your loss. our animal children are very much our kids and losing them is rough.

have a great day friends!!

• Love 3

JT, I'm so sorry about your kitty. We love them so much and they break our hearts when they go. I know she loved being your kitty. <3

The dry stuff: The only thing that works for me (right now) is lotion handmade by a woman in our hometown. https://squareup.com/market/hollys-harmony-llcI get the super-thick stuff she has and the lavender scent. I also use Burt's Bees and have a lip balm in every room of our house...

• Love 2

Jynnan tonnix, I am so sad to hear about your kitty. I know ther aren't any words to help, but I understand the pain. It sounds like maybe she did know what was coming, if she insisted on going out. My old guy who is ailing was sitting in the (cold) basement today, by the outside door. My heart sank.

I love that you treated your girl's last days as hospice, and that you didn't have to make That Decision. 18 is a good, long life and you all clearly gave her so much love and care during those years. And at the end she was with those who loved her, and slipped peacefully away. We should all be so fortunate at the end. You did right by her!

• Love 4

Thanks everyone for the suggestions about my cracked hands. I'd never heard of Bag Balm - my container says "Udderly Smooth", and was supposedly developed for cows. I've used O'Keefes for a couple years, and while I like it, it's not quite doing the trick right now. Maybe it's because of the weather change. It's only the last few days the weather has begun to feel like winter.

Because I didn't get out today to look for bag balm, I decided to put honey on my thumbs and cover them with bandaids. I have a little container of local honey, and unfortunately, that calls for elaboration.

ThIs honey was given to me by an acquaintance who graduated high school with my Sister-in-law, and is a 2nd cousin to my daughter's crazy husband. The acquaintance is a little tiny petite woman, less than 5 feet. She was a cheerleader in high school and never quite got over herself. She's all bubbly and energetic, and could probably spring right into a back flip. Her name (I am SO not joking), is Debbie Little. Seriously.

And on the jar of honey, there's a label that says "Little Deb-BEE's Honey".

I just threw up in my mouth a little, typing that. Still, I have to admit if I happened to be less than 5 feet tall, married a man named "Little" and kept bees, I would probably be juuuuust hokey enough to put that on the label. Ugh.

• Love 6

Jyn hugs to you. I'm so glad you could keep her home. I was much like you. Watching my grown sons crying finished me. Just picturing them as lil boys chasing that cat around. She was well loved and the grieving is part of loving that much.

HFC i second or third the bag balm tip. I used to have heels that could cut glass and live in Canada with the cold and also heater going all day long. Grab some if you can find it there. If not, I'll ship you some!

• Love 2

Sew Sumi, I'm sorry you're having a rough time. I hope things start looking up for you very soon.

Jyn, I am so sorry for the loss of your kitty.

SomePity, I've been wondering about the house, and I'm sorry to hear that your offer was rejected.

OMG, I guess I'm just a sorry person tonight, and for that reason I hope my "sorrys" don't come off as insincere. I meant every one them, and I am sending virtual hugs to each of you. ❤️❤️❤️

• Love 7

And I sincerely third them.

Please add me to the list. When I express concern or sympathy here, I hope you guys know it's always genuine. Whether it's the loss of a pet, parent, sibling, a marriage ending, or just a shitty day that needs to be exposed to the light, this is a wonderful, comforting, safe place to vent and seek solace...

Or to tell a funny story ! Happyfatchick, keep 'em coming ! Your "Debbie Little" is as real to me now as any of the people I've met in real life ! Though I can't give her name (Okay. It was Cheryl.) I had a similar presence in my life at work for ten loooong years and to this day if I see her at the mall I hide. Actually HIDE. 

Her offense ? She was THE WOMAN WHO NEVER LEFT HER SORORITY. Pushing 50 and still wearing her pin every day of her life, decorating her house, car, and work office like she was still in college (seriously - one of those triangular banners on her office door !) and trying to karaoke her sorority song at every single goddamn company Christmas party for a decade ! She'd manage to slur "Kappa Crappy Bang-Bang, my heart is true to you..." into the microphone every year before throwing up on the fake ficus and having her husband carry her out. Good times, people. Good times...  

Wok Chop - Thank you very much for your concern about my (possible) house, but them rejecting the offer is actually good ! Now I'll have more leverage as the months - winter months - roll by and no other offers are made. Puts me in the perfect position to swoop in in March, restate the offer minus $5k, and see what happens. For whatever reason I am unusually blessed when it comes to real estate, and I'm counting on my luck holding out. I've bought/sold five houses in my life and come out ridiculously ahead of the game every time.

Unlucky in love, in health, in family, but apparently being watched over by Theodorica, Patron Saint of the Open House.

(Yes, I made that last part up.)   Hugs to all  ;)

• Love 13

Sew Sumi, I'm sorry you're having a rough time. I hope things start looking up for you very soon.

Jyn, I am so sorry for the loss of your kitty.

SomePity, I've been wondering about the house, and I'm sorry to hear that your offer was rejected.

OMG, I guess I'm just a sorry person tonight, and for that reason I hope my "sorrys" don't come off as insincere. I meant every one them, and I am sending virtual hugs to each of you. ❤️❤️❤️

I agree with Wok Chop, Mick Picks, Gee Golly and everyone who has sent kind thoughts to all of you.  I hope good people and things come into your lives that will bring you joy and light. 

• Love 5

Unlucky in love, in health, in family, but apparently being watched over by Theodorica, Patron Saint of the Open House.

(Yes, I made that last part up.)   Hugs to all  ;)

SOMEPITY, I am especially enjoying your posts today!

Sounds like a good plan for your real estate negotiations. And congrats on your big successes. Where I live, houses move way too fast. And the only way the prices go is up. Sigh.

Sending good vibes and hugs to you.

• Love 4

Her offense ? She was THE WOMAN WHO NEVER LEFT HER SORORITY. Pushing 50 and still wearing her pin every day of her life, decorating her house, car, and work office like she was still in college (seriously - one of those triangular banners on her office door !) and trying to karaoke her sorority song at every single goddamn company Christmas party for a decade !

OMG, Some Pity. I'm feeling your pain, because I know one of those, too. She's (clears throat) 54. She was a cheerleader at our high school. She spends her days posting her latest selfies to FB. That's right. Pictures of herself. After all, we're all dying to see them, right? At the last reunion, a guy from our class got drunk enough to flirt with one of the other former cheerleaders, and let me tell you, it was ON.

"___________ was flirting with Kelli! Like he could ever get her. We're cheerleaders, you know? She's not wasting her time with HIM." Her outrage that a mere mortal might dare to flirt with a cheerleader from THIRTY SEVEN YEARS AGO left me open-mouthed in amazement. She continued in this vein until I walked away from her and bought myself a drink. I wasn't facing that sober.

It's been thirty-seven years. Isn't it time to give it up?

• Love 7

Wok Chop - Thank you very much for your concern about my (possible) house, but them rejecting the offer is actually good ! Now I'll have more leverage as the months - winter months - roll by and no other offers are made. Puts me in the perfect position to swoop in in March, restate the offer minus $5k, and see what happens. For whatever reason I am unusually blessed when it comes to real estate, and I'm counting on my luck holding out. I've bought/sold five houses in my life and come out ridiculously ahead of the game every time.

(Yes, I made that last part up.) Hugs to all ;)

Okay, I hope it turns out to be a good thing (partially because of my ulterior motive of living vicariously through you). I have never met another person who has been blessed with regard to real estate. It's usually the opposite. So if there is ever a miracle, and I am able to purchase a home, YOU will have to come and help make it happen because, woe is me, I am unlucky in love, health and real estate...however, besides my crazy mother, I do pretty well in the family department (but she is a doozy). Edited by Wok Chop
  • Love 5