Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@bigskygirl There are usually back to school sales and tax free days so parents can buy equipment (computers, printers etc.) for their kids at a lesser price. I’m hoping that you can find one of these sales so you get a break on buying a new printer. 

The interesting thing is I used it last week to print out my med list for my dentist appointment last week with no problems. Tried to print out the list again yesterday and the paper feeder would not work right. Now the paper gets stuck while trying to print. Oh well!

Just now, bigskygirl said:

The interesting thing is I used it last week to print out my med list for my dentist appointment last week with no problems. Tried to print out the list again yesterday and the paper feeder would not work right. Now the paper gets stuck while trying to print. Oh well!

That sounds frustrating. Is there a tiny leftover shred of paper in there that keeps jamming it up. I have the technological skills of a guppy so I won’t be much help but I feel for you. 

32 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

So I found a new obsession 

scientology 

that should occupy me for a week. 

Turns out there is a Scientology church near Times Square 

I have been down that particular rabbit hole.  It gets super creepy real fast.  But there is  so much information that can keep you occupied for months.  There's books, documentaries and websites galore.

• Love 5

Re: The Times Square location...That's the "church" that Leah Remini attended as a kid. 

eta: Her book is a must-read. It got me rolling down the rabbit hole.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5
56 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

scientology 

I once worked for a boss that turned out he and his family were Scientologists.  It gets old really fast when they can't pay you your entire paycheck because they had to buy something for scientology

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Re: The Times Square location...That's the "church" that Leah Remini attended as a kid. 

eta: Her book is a must-read. It got me rolling down the rabbit hole.

I want to read it. I will see if the library has it. I’m starting to see that most of the earnings go to them. So how much $ is there left in the celebrity accounts? Do the celebrities even have access to their $?

• Love 1
On 7/30/2018 at 1:41 AM, ChiCricket said:

You are mirroring my thoughts lately. My husband is 5 years older than me (so he's 71) and today he got on my last nerve because we were watching an old movie, and he kept pausing the tv every time a new actor came on and saying "Is so and so still alive?" I finally said " NO! They're all DEAD! But can we just pretend they're all still alive and enjoy the f'ing movie right now?!" But, yeah, then he gets ME thinking about how many years we have left. I want to not think about it!!

Ps..maybe I need those opioids after all! (I'm KIDDING!)

My nephews used to that, "Is he dead?"  when we watched old movies. We finally said,"No, not everyone who is old is dead!" 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

@CherryMalotte  Do not feel bad. I admit I cannot stand to be around my parents at all. My mom is 80 years old, and my dad is 84. I know one day I will be getting the call saying one of them has died, but I feel I will not be too sad about it. I feel terrible for feeling this way, but I have mourn losing both of them years ago. Biologically they are my parents, but I stopped loving them years ago when I finally figured out I would not get the love and attention from the both of them I wanted and deserved. The abuse I endured from the both of them was enough for me to say enough is enough.

@CherryMalotte and @bigskygirl  thank you for your honesty. It is comforting to know I’m not the only one who doesn’t feel love for my parents. I feel Pretty much nothing for them most of the time, tilting into anger, anxiety, and sadness when I do have to see them or communicate with them. 

I keep feeling like I should try to have an honest conversation with them before that phone call comes that one of them has died, but I don’t believe they are even mentally or emotionally capable of honest discussion, and I would just be bitterly disappointed if I got my hopes up and tried. 

I’m getting to a point of acceptance that I am better off without them in my life. If it wasn’t for my kids wanting to have a relationship for them I’d have no reason to be in touch at all. 

Edited by awaken
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

scientology 

Thoughts and prayers. 

Seriously, I didn't come up for 6 months after falling into that rabbit hole. 

• Love 5

A few years ago, the small rural public library I work at got an unsolicited shipment of Scientology material. It was a huge box, full of Scientology books and a weirdly worded letter, informing us that they wanted to donate these books to us. It was never quite clear who sent it. Anyway, we read through some of the material and realized that we would never get any work done if we kept those books around because it had serious rabbit hole potential. Have no idea what our library director at the time did with the material, but the box wasn't there the next day. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

scientology 

I’ve been down that rabbit hole many times, lol. I highly recommend Leah Remini’s book (also her tv series with Mike Rinder) and also The Unbreakable Miss Lovely by Tony Ortega and Paulette Cooper. 

The Paulette Cooper book jumped around a bit so it wasn’t as smooth a read as Leah’s book, but it was absolutely mind-blowing to see the lengths the cult would go through to destroy a perceived enemy.  It also covered how the cult infiltrated the IRS. It was like reading a spy novel. It was intense and unbelievable except it was all true. If you don’t want to read the whole book, it is worth googling Paulette’s story.

Also, Tony Ortega’s blog/website, The Underground Bunker, is a fascinating read. The majority of the comments are from former Scientologists so there is lots of insider information in the comments. Paulette Cooper, herself, posted an interesting update there earlier this week.

Mike Rinder has a blog too. 

Edited by EVS
Clarity
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, Zella said:

A few years ago, the small rural public library I work at got an unsolicited shipment of Scientology material. It was a huge box, full of Scientology books and a weirdly worded letter, informing us that they wanted to donate these books to us. It was never quite clear who sent it. Anyway, we read through some of the material and realized that we would never get any work done if we kept those books around because it had serious rabbit hole potential. Have no idea what our library director at the time did with the material, but the box wasn't there the next day. 

It was Tom Cruise lol. 

Seriously I think by the time the church is done with him he will be broke. 

• Love 1

Found out today I will be losing Medicaid at the end of the month because my husband makes too much. Seriously...My husband made the same last year at the same time, but I was not cut off. Maybe it is for the best because dealing with the state government agency who handles Medicaid has not been fun, but I am still not happy about the whole thing. Now I need to find health insurance. UGH!!! Last week when I went in to get the three cavities taken care of at the dentist office the one assistant told me Medicaid would try to get out of paying for any type of medical care and expect doctors, dentists and other medical caregivers to do the healthcare for free. Oh well! I bet I am not the only person to get cut off.

3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Found out today I will be losing Medicaid at the end of the month because my husband makes too much. Seriously...My husband made the same last year at the same time, but I was not cut off. Maybe it is for the best because dealing with the state government agency who handles Medicaid has not been fun, but I am still not happy about the whole thing. Now I need to find health insurance. UGH!!! Last week when I went in to get the three cavities taken care of at the dentist office the one assistant told me Medicaid would try to get out of paying for any type of medical care and expect doctors, dentists and other medical caregivers to do the healthcare for free. Oh well! I bet I am not the only person to get cut off.

I am so sorry :( That sucks!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

I am so sorry :( That sucks!

It does suck, but at least I am off Medicaid. I did not want to go on it in the first place. The cuts they have been making due to the budget problems in Montana meant less dental and vision care I need, and less payment amounts for the medical providers I see which is not great for them. My husband and I have been dealing with insurance companies and even Medicare when he went on dialysis and for the first three years after his transplant, so we are use to dealing with the craziness. Plus I had to wait two months for the new lenses for my new glasses because Medicaid wanting an out of state company to make Medicaid patients' glasses. I say good riddance Medicaid. I cannot afford waiting to see what they will or will not pay for. And yes, I understand the same thing can happen with insurance companies, but I will have more of a say so in my coverage.

End of rant. {{{HUGS}}} everyone who ever had the pleasure or should I say displeasure in dealing with any type of health insurance situations. And bless the brave people who work in the health insurance business who have to help others figure out coverage, what will be taken care of, etc. etc.

19 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

It does suck, but at least I am off Medicaid. I did not want to go on it in the first place. The cuts they have been making due to the budget problems in Montana meant less dental and vision care I need, and less payment amounts for the medical providers I see which is not great for them. My husband and I have been dealing with insurance companies and even Medicare when he went on dialysis and for the first three years after his transplant, so we are use to dealing with the craziness. Plus I had to wait two months for the new lenses for my new glasses because Medicaid wanting an out of state company to make Medicaid patients' glasses. I say good riddance Medicaid. I cannot afford waiting to see what they will or will not pay for. And yes, I understand the same thing can happen with insurance companies, but I will have more of a say so in my coverage.

End of rant. {{{HUGS}}} everyone who ever had the pleasure or should I say displeasure in dealing with any type of health insurance situations. And bless the brave people who work in the health insurance business who have to help others figure out coverage, what will be taken care of, etc. etc.

That sounds miserable. I forget how spoiled we are sometimes because hubby kept Tricare when he retired early. Fingers crossed for a smooth transition and good insurance in the future!

• Love 3

sure. its super easy!

1 slice of ham steak, cubed

1 bag of dried pink beans (or whatever kind you like)

1 sm can tomato paste

garlic, onion, spices that you like to taste

soak beans in water overnight. drain. pour into crock pot. add cubed ham, can of tomato paste and mix. i just dump (not measure) garlic, onion, mrs dash, parsley etc. fill with water. and cook on low all day.  i like it served over rice. you can thicken the sauce with corn starch but i dont usually.  

mmm its so good. i might need to make some this next week!

now dont laugh at me ya'll and say that i need cooking lessons. (i do!) this is real similar to how my mom made it but she used ham hocks and lima beans. GAG!

• Love 7

@zoomama, I buy the dry 15 bean soup bag, the spicy kind, at Kroger.  Other places sell it too of course, but not all, so I always go to Kroger.  You soak those bad boys overnight, throw it all in the crock pot with ham, onion and a can of tomato sauce.  By dinner that night, it is to die for. I’m just avoiding figuring out the spices ratio.  I’ve managed to get everyone so hooked on it, we now fight over a big hambone after family dinners.  I guess because of all the different types of “beans”, it thickens up quite nicely.  More like a stew than soup.  This along with potato soup and broccoli cheese soup are my biggest pleasures in winter.  I’m a summer girl but I sooooo love a bowl of thick, hot soup.

• Love 9

I'm sure many of you can relate.  I brought my ins cards, & drivers license with me to the hospital on day of my surgery. They were in a ziplock bag.  Mr. Barb & I put them in my tote bag "to worry about later."  Little did we know next time I would see them was today. (Surgery was end of May.) I thought the rehab center that I went to after surgery (with my tote) had needed to copy them but looking back, me or Son of Barb weren't sure. I thought Son brought them in from home & took back home.  (This was when Mr Barb was back in Tennessee packing up to come home, he retired from his out of state job so he wasn't involved.)  I started looking for cards when I got home & nowhere to be found. Son is so good about putting important things in a separate place away from the stacks of mail on kitchen table.  Luckily one of my doctors offices gave me a copy of  cards but I was concerned about drivers license. I kept putting off looking but today was day I was going to look one more time. I checked both tote bags I had & no luck.  So i ordered new ins cards & found out in Maryland you can request duplicate license on line for $20. That was great since I didn't have to go to MVA. And it would be mailed. (Even if I went to MVA, it would be mailed.) So I ordered one around 5:30 this evening.  After dinner around 7:30 I decided to go thru the 2 bags one last time & clean them out.  Well what did I find at bottom of bag caught in crease of bag? My cards & license!! I couldn't believe it.  I knew ordering new cards would cause us to find the old ones. I really feel bad for Son when I sort of accused him for not putting them in a safe place, when he never even touched them. Luckily he doesn't hold a grudge.  I dont think rehab even asked for them.  The cards were with paperwork we got  the morning of surgery.

I feel so relieved because I may need license this week  in signing papers for Mr. Barbs retirement. 

I'm hoping I can stop duplicate license & get my $20 back.

My mother misplaced her debit card recently & my sister had to get new one for her. That same afternoon she found it.  The man at the bank told my sister it happens frequently- person will call bank back after getting new card saying they found old one. 

Reminds on the show The Middle, they lose remote & dad finally gets new one. He's ready to open package & says something like "this is it, I'm opening new remote, once opened no returns." Sure enough he opens package & Brick, the son, yells "I found it." 

Just one of those quirks of life. 

• Love 10

@magpye29 Congratulations on all of your efforts paying off. Indeed I thought it was a typo when I saw that you had written that your cholesterol was 1500. Wow. I’m glad that you’ve gotten it down. Also that you have gotten your sugars and depression under control. Whoohoo to finally feeling good about things and getting on with life. You must be pleased as punch that you have your living situation stabilized as well. All of these things took great effort on your part and I’m so happy that you are seeing your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Cheers to you. Keep up the good work. 

That’s wonderful that you are getting your teaching certificate. Who cares how old you are. After all the obstacles that you have overcome you have things that they can’t teach you in a book or a classroom. You have understanding, a grateful heart and probably a lot of insight. They will be lucky to have you and all the experience that life has taught you. 

P.S. I didn’t get the reference to Pern but welcome back. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added a P.S.
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

P.S. I didn’t get the reference to Pern but welcome back. 

Pern is the planet in Anne McCaffrey's dragon series.  The planet is threatened by something called Thread, which drops from the sky and eats/burns through everything it contacts--the only way to combat it is with dragonfire.  It's been a while since I read the books, so I'm not explaining this well, but I hope you get the drift.

It was very hard to admit that I was mentally ill.  My depression is not event-triggered; it's the result of a chemical imbalance.  I really couldn't see how bad I was until I got through to the other side.  I told my husband the night of my daughter's wedding that if I hadn't gotten help when I did, I'm not sure I would have been around to see the wedding.  He had tears in his eyes and said all he's ever wanted was for me to be happy.  I can accept that at face value now.  There was a time when I would have scoffed and argued, but I think I get it now.  I have to keep fighting because it's very easy to backslide about taking my meds when I'm supposed to and taking my insulin, but it feels so good when I'm following the routine that I don't like messing it up.  I really notice the difference now if I forget to take my meds in the morning.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, magpye29 said:

I feel like the Thread-killer, but I'm not actually from Pern!  (I hope someone will get the reference!)

I got the reference, even though it has been probably nearly 40 years since I read the books. Hang in there and welcome back. It sounds like you are doing all the right things.

• Love 1

@magpye29, thank you so much for your wonderful update. You are truly inspiring, battling through all of your medical and emotional issues. So happy that your hard work and devotion to health is paying off. You are going to be a great teacher.

And congratulations on your daughter’s wedding, and that you were able to truly enjoy it. Hugs!

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I give up looking for a grief counselor. I can’t find one that accepts my insurance.  

Around here, and perhaps near you, hospitals and churches offer groups, if you’d be interested instead of individual. They are at no cost. Funeral homes in your area can also make suggestions.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 4

@magpye29  So glad you are doing better. It is hard to admit you may have a mental illness and seek treatment. Right now I am on my fifth medication for anxiety and depression, but once again, I am dealing with nasty side effects again. I was so tired on Friday I was barely staying awake after trying another medication. I went to the eye doctor Thursday morning due to my eyes bothering me again. The dry eye disease has kicked in again, so I am on the eye ointment again. I keep forgetting to use my eye mask. I am glad there was no signs of an eye infection. I was told I am sensitive to the meds due to certain chemicals in my brain. I am at the point where I will say no more meds because the side effects are worse than the anxiety and walking around like a zombie and not be able to go out and do things is not fun at all.

5 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Had my first allergy shot this morning. So far, so good. Arm area where the shot was given hurts a little with a little red bump. Throat feels a little funny, but no bad side effects. Yay!!!

I really hope that in the long run (after you’ve begun to build up some immunity) that they make your life easier. Pay attention to how your throat feels and be sure to mention it before you get your next injection. I don’t want anything bad to happen to you. 

On another front. I’m giving this shout out to a fellow poster who is kind (and occasionally gets faced with bullies on a forum) so she can find us. Thank you friends. 

Here I am @stewedsquash

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Around here, and perhaps near you, hospitals and churches offer groups, if you’d be interested instead of individual. They are at no cost. Funeral homes in your area can also make suggestions.

I’m not interested in spilling my guts in public/ crying like a baby.  I was given a bunch of info at the hospital.

• Love 1

My throat was a little sore before I had the shot. We have smoke in the air from wildfires in Montana and other states which can cause my sinuses to act up. My throat feel fine now and no signs of breathing problems. The heat can cause mild breathing problems, and it is suppose to get hotter this week. I did tell the nurse about my throat and allergies acting up a little before she gave me the shot.

@bigskygirl, you have so many ongoing health issues, although you’ve mentioned getting some things turned around lately.  I hope this is the time in your life when it all smooths out into Blissful easiness for you.  Soon, baby, soon.  If you can get “some” things straight, maybe others will fall in line for you.

@magpye29, 1500????  Holeeeeee COW!!!  I’m so relived and happy to hear of you doing so much better!  That is fantastic!!  And about the school, YOU GOOOOO GIRL!!!  ❤️❤️❤️  I’m so JEALOUS!  But I admire you more than jealousy - I considered the very same thing myself (I’m a natural teacher I think) but backed away because I’m staring at 59 in the face.  I’m VERY proud of you!!

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Happyfatchick said:

I considered the very same thing myself (I’m a natural teacher I think) but backed away because I’m staring at 59 in the face.  I’m VERY proud of you!!

Thanks, Happy!  I just turned 58, and I don't care.  I fought against this my whole life (HATE to be told what to do!), but I've been working in education for the last 20 years, and I'm always the para who gets pulled from class to cover when teachers are out, so I figured it's time to have my own class since I spend so much time teaching, anyway.  I've done long-term subbing (covered several maternity leaves and a four-month stint for language arts when my friend had cancer), taught pre-K when I was first married, and can't seem to step away from the school room, so it's time to get out of my own way and go for it.  

I think you would be an awesome teacher--kids would love your marvelous stories, and your wealth of experience in life would make you so amazing in a classroom.  Short of that, start writing your stories down--you have a natural gift, and people would pay plenty to read your work.  certainly would!

• Love 5