Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, louannems said:

It's 59 degrees in Seattle and I am freezing, since I shut the furnace off in April, during a heat wave!

Me, too! I actually turned it back on the other day but ack. We got so spoiled with our fake early summer. I am still lazing in bed because the house is COLD. 

• Love 2

Dallas here and it's supposed to be 97 degrees with 87% humidity and a heat index of 107. It's so humid everything is damp. It's disgusting. Summer can bite me.

I just turn it over and whack the top half of it until it goes back to normal.  Percussive maintenance.

I'm not sure why, but this totally cracked me up.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lemur said:

Actually, you just have a loose connection between the screen and the motherboard.  Mine does that too and I don't have any cracks in the screen.  I just turn it over and whack the top half of it until it goes back to normal.  Percussive maintenance.

I feel terrible for those folks too.  What a freak bit of happenstance.  Also, you wouldn't catch me with a toe in that water.  The lake is full of gators and snakes and brain-eating amoebas.  I'm not even exaggerating, it's why they closed down River Country.  It pretty much ran on untreated lake water and Florida passed a law that you can't run a swimming hole or pool or lake if the amoebas are found in the water.  So Disney just shut off the lights one day and walked away.  The park is sitting there pretty much abandoned, all overgrown.

I hadn't heard about this til I read here.  How awful -like Happy said what was supposed to be a great family  trip that the family had probably planned a year for turned into a tragedy.  

Why did you have to mention River Country?  I got hooked on looking at abandoned/closed amusement parks on line a few years ago & seeing River Country has gotten my curiosity going again.  So instead of doing something  useful this morning, I've spent an hour  reading & looking at pictures of the closed River Country which I've already seen a million times. I'm not sure what it is, I just find this stuff fascinating. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Why did you have to mention River Country?  I got hooked on looking at abandoned/closed amusement parks on line a few years ago & seeing River Country has gotten my curiosity going again.  So instead of doing something  useful this morning, I've spent an hour  reading & looking at pictures of the closed River Country which I've already seen a million times. I'm not sure what it is, I just find this stuff fascinating. 

I did the exact same thing last night.  We probably looked at exactly the same sites too.

• Love 2

I was more than a little surprised seeing alligators everywhere when I did the tourist thing at the Kennedy Space Center. I lived in tropical Australia, and crocodiles were not tolerated in populated areas. 

There was a time (I can't remember -30/40 yrs ago) when alligators were being hunted so much that big restrictions were put in.  I'll have to look and see if the restrictions are still in place.  Seems to me maybe we need to cut loose open season on them for awhile and get the population back under some sort of control.  

Koka, how did Australia go about keeping the crocs out of public areas?  I heard a wildlife guy say yesterday that some places in Florida employ a type of netting underwater (sort of a fence, but in my mind, it had some flex to it instead of say, a chain link fence).  Gators are water creatures, but they are able to roam over ground as well.  My ex had family in the Florida panhandle, and it was not uncommon at all to see gators in pastures or even front yards.  His people who had ponds were immune to gators in their water, but it always made my eyeballs pop out. They are so so creepy.  Sometimes you'll see them lay on a bank for hours without moving a toenail. 

In Darwin they use traps, and any crocodile seen is found and relocated. Apparently safari style hunting isn't proactive enough.

People in Darwin don't swim anywhere that's not approved. Essentially no one swims at the beach, and they built an artificial lake with pumped in seawater for recreation purposes. 

Tropical Australia is also sparsely inhabited.  

• Love 3

I suspect it's a combo of being formerly endangered, not being as aggressive as saltwater crocs (alligators are generally only a threat to small pets) and just generally being hard to get rid of (larger alligators have a great homing ability and tend to return to their territory when moved). 

Disney putting a sandy beach there was just horrible thinking.  They are going to get their ass handed to them in a lawsuit, and they will deserve it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fosca said:

I suspect it's a combo of being formerly endangered, not being as aggressive as saltwater crocs (alligators are generally only a threat to small pets) and just generally being hard to get rid of (larger alligators have a great homing ability and tend to return to their territory when moved). 

Disney putting a sandy beach there was just horrible thinking.  They are going to get their ass handed to them in a lawsuit, and they will deserve it.

They were apparently much more vigilant about policing the gators when you could actually swim in the lake from what I've read from folks who worked there in the 1980's.  

I think there is a bit of shared liability with the parents, to be quite honest with you.  There were clear "No Swimming" signs.  There was no lifeguard on duty, not even an empty lifeguard stand.  And yes, I know that swimming and wading are not the same thing, but if someone said to me "no swimming in the lake", I wouldn't even put my feet in.  I know when we have yellow flag and red flag warnings at the beach it means don't even going in up to your ankles because the water - not even an alligator - can take you or there's nasty stinging jellyfish or a red tide or some other nastiness in the water you don't want on you.  Of course, people will split hairs and debate it left and right.  It will undoubtedly end up in a settlement for an undisclosed amount.  Those poor parents though, they get to live with the "what-ifs" for the rest of their lives. 

• Love 2

Have any of you watched the current exercise videos on PBS? Anyone doing it? It looks like no-sweat gentle movement exercise, and the speaker makes it sound like it can make a real difference in the aging process. Basically, she says you don't need to lift weights, you don't need to run, you can just do graceful movements to keep every muscle active. I am 80 and currently going to physical therapy for a weak knee ... and I can see improvement after only 4 visits! And I'm going to try this Aging Backwards stuff ... go to youtube and search for Workout with Miranda Esmonde-White, AGING BACKWARDS author if you're interested.

• Love 8

One of my co-workers just turned to me and said, "You know, it's been a while since we had a feel-good story in this country we could all rally behind.  You know, like when that kid fell down the well and they had to get her out and everyone cheered.  Or those miners."

So, after I suppressed the urge to tell said co-worker that I didn't think falling down the well felt all that good to "Baby Jessica" (she had like 15 surgeries after her rescue) or that the last big mine collapse in the US left no survivors and in fact killed three rescuers, we got into a game of "What Ever Happened To ..." in which we'd name random psuedo-celebrities who were news or media stars literally for 15 minutes and haven't been read from since.  Among the ones we could come up with were:

-Jessica McClure (aka the kid down the well)

-Donato Dalrymple (aka the guy holding Elian Gonzalez when the Feds retrieved him to return him to his father)

-Gary Hart (Mr. Monkey Business)

-Lucinda Dickey (Kelly from the Breakin' movies)

-The Fat Boys

-The non-Bobby Brown members of New Edition/the guys from Bell Biv Devoe

-Ann M. Martin (author of the Babysitters Club books)

Surely there are more.

10 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i am so grateful to be able to tell you that i, in fact, DO NOT have breast cancer as i truly feared i did based on initial test results. further testing done today has indicated no evidence of cancer to be found. thank you Jesus.

Zoomama, I celebrate with you! What great news!

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, zoomama said:

i am so grateful to be able to tell you that i, in fact, DO NOT have breast cancer as i truly feared i did based on initial test results. further testing done today has indicated no evidence of cancer to be found. thank you Jesus.

Zoo mama, I'm so happy to learn that all your tests are clean.  Thanks be to God! With all the cancer history in my family, every negative test I have is a blessing beyond belief. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, zoomama said:

Oh ZOOMAMA, what wonderful news. I have received the same good news after several biopsies and many ultrasounds, and know the relief. Enjoy your day and celebrate.

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Lemur said:

One of my co-workers just turned to me and said, "You know, it's been a while since we had a feel-good story in this country we could all rally behind.  You know, like when that kid fell down the well and they had to get her out and everyone cheered.  Or those miners."

On that same note..........  I was regaling my very much younger co-workers with my tale of being at Fenway Park during a Red Sox game on July 20th 1969 around 4:00 pm in the afternoon.  It was a double header and I was there with my father.  The United States landed on the moon!  They stopped the game, played America the Beautiful.  My father turned to me and said "this is history" and it was! 

That started the younger folk in their own "where were you" reminisces.  We had Challenger, Princess Diana, Michael Jackson, and of course 9/11.  All horrific tragedies.  It made me realize that the only thing equal to the national jubilation of the afternoon of July 20th was later that evening when an American actually walked on the moon.  There has been nothing since.  Yes we did rescue Baby Jessica and one miner, out of how many.  A reason to celebrate, but still a tragedy.  

That's too bad.

• Love 1

It's sad for the family, but I wonder why there weren't any warning signs. When I went to Hilton Head one time we saw signs all over the place. The signs even told us to run zig zag when trying to outrun them. We asked if those were just jokes for the tourists, but they told us they were real. I was shocked to hear that some of the residents even fed them marshmallows! These are dangerous animals. Don't feed them. I'm a live and let live person, so I appreciated the warnings and yes, I did visit the beach and walk around the property. I was lucky, the only time we saw any we were in a vehicle.

2 hours ago, zoomama said:

As one who has gotten the other diagnosis, I am thrilled at your good news!!!!!!

• Love 2

The first presidential election my daughter was old enough to vote in had an African-American candidate, and would have had a female candidate if Hilary had won the nomination. Gay & lesbian folks can now marry. 

In vitro-fertilization, Red Sox winning the world series 3x since 1918, the internet, cell phones ...

Some significant things in the past few decades and there is more, the Berlin Wall, Nelson Mandela ...

We just get bombarded with so much info, good & bad, that we are overwhelmed with information and things get lost in the next big story.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

As one who has gotten the other diagnosis, I am thrilled at your good news!!!!!!

God bless you. i can only imagine your emotions after what i felt waiting for 3 weeks to find out. is this current or old news?

• Love 1

One of my grandparents and aunt/uncle and cousins lived near this one family who owned some interesting pets. One of the pets was a chimpanzee, and the darn thing would jump out at you when you came in their front door. Talk about almost having a heart attack. They also had a baby alligator in the bathtub. I believe the state or county officials came in one day and took the chimpanzee and alligator away.

(edited)

I feel for the family in Florida, the kid was barely in the water and they were at Disney. It's a horrible, horrible situation. 

This isn't directed at them but just more generally, it annoys me when people don't take signs about the risk of injury or danger seriously.  A few weeks ago we had a similar situation where two women decided to go for a walk knee-deep in croc water in the Northern Territory at night, despite the fact that there are signs everywhere saying not to.  Unsurprisingly, one was grabbed and killed.  Ditto when people have to be rescued because they thought that they could drive through flood waters, defying all the warnings which tell you not to.  Both of those things have happened in the last month alone here.

Some people don't seem to understand that wild animals and weather aren't controllable.  Being a human won't stop a croc from seeing you as prey and having a big car won't stop flood waters from sweeping you away.  

Edited by ChocolateAddict
  • Love 5

Just like the nitwits in Yellowstone Park who get too close to animals because they want a better picture or want to pet one. I love going out to take a look at wildlife, but I do not have a death wish because I know better about getting too close. I knew a guy who was arrested more than once because he would feed bears at his house. Sadly, a few bears were put down because he had to feed them. Breaks my heart to think these poor animals get too comfortable with humans and have to be put down because of the stupidity of others. Two dogs were killed last week by a mama deer because she was protecting her fawns. They did not kill her because she killed the dogs, but I would love to slap the owners because they let their dogs run loose. I remember one time walking to my cars and two dogs were chasing a buck. I hate to think if someone accidently step between the dogs and the buck, or the animals ran out in front of traffic and got hit. I also got too close to a couple of does a couple of times. I did not realize it under I was right near them while walking to my car. Thankfully, they did not have fawns with them or a buck was near by. I could imagine the Worker Comp claim. Yes, I was leaving work and did not see the deer before it was too late, and I was attacked. Okay...

1 hour ago, zoomama said:

God bless you. i can only imagine your emotions after what i felt waiting for 3 weeks to find out. is this current or old news?

I'm 6.5 years into treatment. I guess I was "lucky" in that I had a lumpectomy and radiation but now they have a new test on the tumor that can give a probability of recurrence and I am on the "low end of intermediate" so am on a pill for 10 years total.   I am thankful for every day - it puts things into perspective.  I am always so happy to hear when someone gets a "negative" test result!!  

• Love 12
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

One of my grandparents and aunt/uncle and cousins lived near this one family who owned some interesting pets. One of the pets was a chimpanzee, and the darn thing would jump out at you when you came in their front door. Talk about almost having a heart attack. They also had a baby alligator in the bathtub. I believe the state or county officials came in one day and took the chimpanzee and alligator away.

A chimpanzee? White tigers are far more practical.

40 minutes ago, ChocolateAddict said:

I feel for the family in Florida, the kid was barely in the water and they were at Disney. It's a horrible, horrible situation. 

This isn't directed at them but just more generally, it annoys me when people don't take signs about the risk of injury or danger seriously.  A few weeks ago we had a similar situation where two women decided to go for a walk knee-deep in croc water in the Northern Territory at night, despite the fact that there are signs everywhere saying not to.  Unsurprisingly, one was grabbed and killed.  Ditto when people have to be rescued because they thought that they could drive through flood waters, defying all the warnings which tell you not to.  Both of those things have happened in the last month alone here.

Some people don't seem to understand that wild animals and weather aren't controllable.  Being a human won't stop a croc from seeing you as prey and having a big car won't stop flood waters from sweeping you away.  

NT people can be a little strange in a Bob Katter sort of way.

More people die in NT car crashes each year, than have died in crocodile attacks in the last 40 years. 

Totally off topic, but I'm beyond delirious that both Irish Football teams have won their respective matches in the Euro 2016. For both to even qualify is one in a million, but to win against Ukraine and Sweden is.......well..........fucking fantabulous.

Even Iceland managed to win against Portugal.

• Love 4

I'm hopeful that I'll be alive when humans finally walk on Mars; I'm a NASA nerd (even went to Space Camp as a kid!) and I wasn't alive for the moon landing. I watched The Martian again last night and it gives me chills.

I agree that most of our "where were you when" stories of the last few decades have been because of horrible tragedies. The world in general is overdue for a good one.

• Love 4

Sorry to be clogging up the interwebz with my posts today. I had a freak fall yesterday (I do this every couple of years) and woke up this morning with a very tender achilles. We were planning on going to the county fair for my birthday tomorrow, but all that walking is now OUT. 

Icepacks, pizza, and hopefully a Warriors win tomorrow night consist of the new itinerary, such as it is. :/

• Love 2
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Sorry to be clogging up the interwebz with my posts today. I had a freak fall yesterday (I do this every couple of years) and woke up this morning with a very tender achilles. We were planning on going to the county fair for my birthday tomorrow, but all that walking is now OUT. 

Icepacks, pizza, and hopefully a Warriors win tomorrow night consist of the new itinerary, such as it is. :/

So sorry about your freak fall. But ... hoping ... wishing ... praying my Cavs come home with the Championship. Cleveland needs it. Sorry, I love you Sew Sumi ... but we need the championship. *ducking* Can we still be friends?

Edited by Westiepeach
forgot something
(edited)
On June 17, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Catlyn said:

When I went to Hilton Head one time we saw signs all over the place. The signs even told us to run zig zag when trying to outrun them. We asked if those were just jokes for the tourists, but they told us they were real. 

Hilton Head has totally embraced the alligator theme - you're right, they have a billion signs, and Popsicles and tee-shirts (and belt buckles and hats...).  We had a friend with a condo on HH, and in my late teens-mid 20's, it was our go-to spot.  Been there dozens of times and never once saw a gator.  (Still got the tee-shirt and the hat...).  I'll say this - it does make you hyper aware when there are signs everywhere.  I also remember taking a ride in a glass bottomed boat in Silver Springs, FL and the guide had a large bag of marshmallows for us to toss to the gators.  That seems (now) like a collosally bad idea.  

I bet Disney looks like a used car lot with alligator warnings.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SEW!  

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Awww, sorry SEW SUMI. I hope you heal quickly and can celebrate your birthday soon on your Un-birthday. Hugs!!

Aw, thanks ladies. The foot is feeling much better today, but the Fair is still out; it's supposed to close to 100 out there today. I'll stay close to home, where it's only going to be around 80. Love our Bay Area microclimates!

Happy Birthday to you Sew Sumi - and many more to come.  And and good Fathers Day to all as well.

Still screwing around with Medicaid, still trying to find stuff in my mom's office, still hauling dad here there and everywhere.  Husband had his surgery rescheduled which has been a major bite in the ass.  Can't wait to get this year over with.

1 hour ago, CherryMalotte said:

Still screwing around with Medicaid, still trying to find stuff in my mom's office, still hauling dad here there and everywhere.  Husband had his surgery rescheduled which has been a major bite in the ass.  Can't wait to get this year over with.

Hang in there, CHERRYMALOTTE. Wishing you a much better second half of the year!

Went to the Irish Fair yesterday.  Would have gone back today with my dog but my body hurts, not due to the fair.  Bagpipes and bands and Irish Wolfhounds, and herding border collies, and icy drinks and brews, oh my!

• Love 4
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Micks Picks said:

Went to the Irish Fair yesterday.  Would have gone back today with my dog but my body hurts, not due to the fair.  Bagpipes and bands and Irish Wolfhounds, and herding border collies, and icy drinks and brews, oh my!

We chose the Bayou festival not too far away from you, but waited until it cooled down a little. Laissez les bons temps rouler!

Hope you feel better soon, MICK PICKS!

Edited by Love2dance
Added stuff.
  • Love 1
(edited)

I made some dip the other night, and thought it needed a kick.  I put in a little Old Bay, and it was delicious.  Not sure I can duplicate it, but it was good.

so today in the grocery, I looked for chipotle seasoning because I've convinced myself there's nothing better.  (Well, maybe chocolate).  I discovered (as I'm sure all of you knew) that chipotle is a jalepeno pepper allowed to ripen to red, and smoked.  I also discovered a chile pepper is a jalepeno allowed to ripen to red and not smoked.

i feel like I just found out about Santa Claus.  Even worse, I kept reading (yes, I'm standing in the grocery aisle reading this on my phone...) and found out about the Easter Bunny.  I've been duped!!!

Edited by Happyfatchick
I can't spell when I'm traumatized
  • Love 3

All good except that definition of a chile pepper is too narrow. A green jalapeno is still a chile pepper as are serranos, habaneros, bird's eye, and on and on through dozens and dozens of varieties.  :) 

• Love 1

Happy belated Birthday, Sew Sumi! I hope you had a reasonable day even if it wasn't what you'd hoped for originally.

It rained all of yesterday, so I didn't bother going to Munich's foundation fest - the town is now about 852 years old or something. Damn.

Nice and sunny out this morning - apparently getting hot towards end of week, baaaaaaaaaah.

What's an Irish fair?

• Love 1