Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: Where The Sun Don't Shine

Tara Ariano

I need somebody to call me a bitch baby a few times right before I go to the gym. I'd get all the fitness.

I can't with Quinn and Charlie. I just fucking can't.

And Olivia just ran out to her car real quick, right? For condoms maybe.

• Love 2

Me: Take your gun out of your purse....

No, don't grab his gun, it's not going to work. Jake gave you a gun for a reason....

I'm serious, it's not going to work....

OK, it didn't work. NOW grab your gun out of your purse...

***SIGH***

All I wanted from the finale was for Rowan to die. Foiled again.

On the other hand, I was really nervous the show would leave on a giant cliffhanger that would make for an unbearably long two months. But that? Meh. I think I'll be fine.

See you in two months, show.

• Love 11

It was really obvious that something was going to happen to Liv while Jake was out of the room. 

I don't care much for Papa Pope's speeches, but what he said to Liv about her not knowing normal and having no concept of love was absolutely spot-on. 

• Love 5

Well I'm out.

I can deal with Shonda Rhimes pretending this isn't just Dynasty set in DC, I can deal with the bad acting all over the place, the B-12 nonsense, and the cult of Mellie. I can even deal with Rowan's never ending pontificating.

But they absolutely lost me with "I choose me."

Fuck you Olivia! When the hell haven't you chosen yourself?

Whoever has her can keep her. 

• Love 8

Well, I just might be done with this show now.  I'm sorry Cy - you tried to prostitute your own husband so shut up about the love of your life bs.  Also, as if this show hasn't gone far enough to butcher Olivia's character, they had to go and have her kidnapped. Siiigh.

• Love 3

"Girl, you need to move on."

I can't, Mama Pope, I'm obsessed with this show.

What a great episode. I enjoyed everyone and everything, even the hopefully last echoes of the B6-13 storyline. Please, please let Mama Pope and Mellie have a spin-off show...I don't care what contortions in plot and realism need to happen but it needs to happen. Maybe Mellie is Pres with Mam Pope as her Fixer. I don't care, they are such fun women to watch on the screen.

Next season then. The Veep should have known better than to mess with Olivia's gang of worshippers, Mellie looks like she's becoming the badass we know she can be, and Olivia hopefully won't be tremulous and sobby anymore. Thank you, Shonda, for your soapy, soapy blessings. See you next year.

If anything good can come out of this episode, it's Olivia never having to see either of her parents again.

Poor David was devastated when he found out about Abby and Leo. I saw tears in his eyes.

• Love 1

Scott Foley can't dance. I knew even before he started to try, that he would look goofy and stupid. To me, this means he would be lame in bed, which might explain why Jennifer Garner divorced him. Except she married Ben Affleck who seems like he'd be even worse.

Cyrus and James were such a sweet love story. Why make Cy marry the hooker? I know they'll spin it into true love eventually, but it will never be that to those of us who loved Cy & James.

Disappointing finale. I'm not even going to remember this episode come Jan. 29.

Fuck you Olivia! When the hell haven't you chosen yourself?

Hilariously well said, Reggie!

• Love 3

For the most part this episode is exactly why i love this show but if Fitz declares war to save Olivia i will scream.

I was just about to post the same thing! Even Shonda wouldn't go that far with Fitz. Or would she? LOL. SMH.

I like how Olivia decides that all that matters is that she not be overly obsessed with her father. Never mind that he's capable of killing just about everyone in her life, and she knows that he's incapable of staying away. All that matters is that she chooses herself!

Ugh, that was awful. And now we'll have to sit through more of Rowan's boring ass speeches soon enough.

Olivia didn't run out for condoms; she realized the wineglass attached to her hand was at its dregs, so she hustled off to retrieve some Mad Dog from the 7-11. This show is so disturbing to me because I feel that Mama Pope illustrates that the writing team is cognizant of how regularly horrible and ridiculous Olivia and Fitz are yet they elect to continue making them intentionally so. Maya's embarrassment at her daughter is so awesome and has been since she rightly clued Liv in on the fact that she's "the help." The lack of accountability for male sexual compulsion never ends on this series. Fitz fucked an intern? It was Olivia's fault for not making her orifices available on demand. Cyrus jeopardizes the life work of not only himself but also the entire West Wing? It's all good, who'd expect him *not* to pay for sex? Heartened by the consistency of his victim mentality, though, when he was boo-hooing over being closeted for four decades (although didn't he whine once about not being able to pursue the presidency himself since he was gay?) and said, "I won't do that to James." Unlike, ho'ing his husband out himself and trying to have him murdered. Olivia's choicest line of the night was when she was sneering to Elizabeth, "you consort with murderers, prostitutes, and liars!" Pot, meet kettle.

• Love 6

I LEGIT laughed out loud at Quinn and Charlie engaging in fisticuffs and grappling wildly on the floor as "My Endless Love" played gently in the background. I was in tears.

Edited by LaJefaza
  • Love 18

I LEGIT laughed out loud at Quinn and Charlie engaging in fisticuffs and grappling wildly on the floor as "My Endless Love" played gently in the background. I was in tears.

that had me laughing out loud too... 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 1

"It just means we're at risk for the same STDs." Ha! Mellie FTW

I kept thinking Jake was just going to get shot while he was dancing with Olivia. I was mildly surprised that Olivia ended up being the one in peril. 

Please, please let Mama Pope and Mellie have a spin-off show...I don't care what contortions in plot and realism need to happen but it needs to happen.

You're in luck. The writers wouldn't care either.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

I laughed at Mama Pope's bored assessment of "Boo, you are just like your father." Word, down to the grandiose speeches to boot. 

What is with all these finales happening right now? NO show from now until Feb? (I mean. whatever I can watch shows that make sense - but that is such a long gap)

• Love 4

Quinn and Charlie was my favorite part of the episode, which is odd.

Olivia's big speech to Cyrus I can't take seriously when she's acting all like his BFF one second and she's sexing up Jake the man who murdered James and she doesn't care the next. What kind of friend is she? She walks into Cyrus's house, she dares talk about his relationship with James. She shouldn't be allowed to say his name or come in James's house. 

The VP is now kidnapping Olivia, really? Mellie can't have anything I guess.

• Love 1

I loved the Charlie and Quinn part.  They were so wild and weird and then sat at the foot of the bed all bloody and battered talkin bout how Aww poor Granny died but he helped her along cause he didn't want her to suffer ya know "of course".  Too funny kind of love them.  Didn't see the Andrew turning out to be evil wouldn't have believed he could play opposite sides of the coin but I definetly bought his evilness this episode.  When Papa Pope left the records I figured he rigged the record player to be a bomb or something.  I wonder if Rowen, Elizabeth and Andrew are working together?  I don't get what East Angola has to do with it.

• Love 2

Well, Olivia is right about one thing.  She certainly isn't her father.  That Cyrus speech was the most unintentionallly laugh out loud set of histrionics this show has put out yet.  And she falls for the second oldest cinematic gun trick known to man.  Rowan did look just a mite surprised there, though.

Poor Fitz.  Mr. "I've been in your girlfriend"  gets followed up by Mr. "I've been in your wife"

So there's this government conspiracy and the acronym they choose is WACO?  Don't draw any attention to yourselves, folks.

Well, Olivia is right about one thing. She certainly isn't her father. That Cyrus speech was the most unintentionallly laugh out loud set of histrionics this show has put out yet.

I felt like I was watching a skit on SNL.

Kerry Washington's facial expressions are just about more than I can take.

I'm ready for the Mellie spin-off where we get to watch her verbally eviscerate someone every day, without facial contortions or bloviating.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 6

I did kind of love Quinn and Charlie tonight:

"I was on the fence. Doesn't that mean anything to you?!" - Ha!

And, all bloodied, apparently having decided not to kill each other:

"Helped Grammy along, though, didn't want her to suffer."

"Of course."

I'm not sure there's any excuse for Liv to never even try to get her own gun that JAKE JUST GAVE HER. At least have a frantic look to and shot of her purse that may have been too far away (...or still on her arm). I was rooting for her to actually kill him and let us be done with this, so I was extremely bummed that she used his unloaded gun instead of ever trying for her own.

I expected Jake to be killed by someone waiting in Liv's bedroom or closet, or shot through her bedroom window, so I was surprised as he made it back to the living room safely. His being shot would have been more suspenseful. Liv is the safest character on the show.

Is it too late for 90210 to get residuals for "I'm not choosing. I choose me."?

Ugh, "the sun" is back. Shut up about "the sun."

Mellie handled the news about Andrew with poise and some good lines, at least. Shame about Andrew.

• Love 3

1. I don't care what anybody says.  I love Daddy Pope.  He entertains me.
  2. I'm beyond tired of GI Joe Jake.  I kept hoping that someone would off him.
  3. Whoever took Olivia can keep her.
Best moment: Olivia's mother stopping her bullshit crying.

Worse moment: Olivia's speech to Cyrus. Kerry Washington at her worse

• Love 3

Who didn't see that the gun would not be loaded?  I loved Rowan's reaction to the click.  Arms flailing, "You just shot your father!"  I think he was truly surprised.

Loved Mellie taking down Lizzie Bear.  Loved Mama Pope shutting down Liv's quivering lip.  

They went through the WACO East Angola thing so quickly I didn't catch what they were saying.  WACO is a company owned by the husband/father (forget his name) and Andrew?  And they are prompting unrest and aggression toward the US for political reasons or monetary?  And Andrew faked his own assassination attempt?  And the pics of Liv suggest they were planning on kidnapping her all along to get Fitz to do their bidding?

• Love 2

Eh.  Not so good.  A cliffhanger only works if there is really a question of what will happen. Is there any chance at all that Liv is in serious danger? No.

I knew something was going to happen. I was thinking it would be a) Rowan waiting to kill Jake when he got to the bedroom, b) Rowan holding Liv hostage when Jake got back, or c) something else entirely.  

If Fitz goes to war over this, this show will have jumped the shark.

Cyrus will never be able to sell James as the love of his life to me given that he hired a hitman to kill him, set him up to cheat, manipulated him constantly, and was pretty much extremely abusive.  Cyrus talking about James being his true love would be like Big Jerry coming back to life to hold a parenting seminar.

Best line of the night was Mellie's STD line. Hands down.

So now it's textually acknowledged on screen that Olivia has really deep feelings for if not outright loves Jake, as much as she loves Fitz. It seems like Liv is accepting that she can have feeling for these two men but she needs to sort her self out first before she can really make a choice

• Love 1
Cyrus will never be able to sell James as the love of his life to me given that he hired a hitman to kill him, set him up to cheat, manipulated him constantly, and was pretty much extremely abusive.  Cyrus talking about James being his true love would be like Big Jerry coming back to life to hold a parenting seminar.

So much THIS.  While Cyrus may have loved James as much as he is cabable (and that's probably not saying much), I still RME every time he starts waxing poetic about his great love.<gag>

• Love 3

At least now we know what the Helen of Troy stuff was all about. Fitz might literally launch ships on Olivia's behalf. Yawn.

Sorry but I don't believe in this loving two people at the same time nonsense. If it were a matter of life and death and Liv had to make her own "Sophie's choice" she'd definitely have a preference. She's just a spoiled brat like Fitz who thinks she's entitled to have ALL THE MENS. I'm surprised Jake is still willing to put up with it. (And I could live without ever seeing Jake "dance" again.)

Dear Rowan: How can Olivia miss you if you won't leave? Sincerely, The World.

Poor little Ella. Daddy's a monster and stepdad's literally a hooker. Is no one--including her godmother--concerned about that innocent child's future mental health?

If Fitz goes to war over this, this show will have jumped the shark.

I think it jumped the shark last night with "I choose me." Seriously, Shonda, taking a reference from Kelly Taylor (Beverly Hills, 90210)?

Loved Mellie taking down Lizzie Bear.

Yep, I loved her mentioning that they had nothing in common except perhaps the possibility of having the same STDs. Called it last week:

Oblique Angle, on 14 Nov 2014 - 6:42 PM, said:

But she could catch an STD. Her opportunities have just risen exponentially, Who knows where that RNC woman has been?

I agree with the comment upthread that it was a weak cliffhanger since we know that when all's said and done, Olivia will be fine. There's no real peril for any of the lead characters on this show. Game of Thrones it is not.

• Love 2

The most ridiculous part of the show was: Quinn finds out Charlie's been sent to kill her, they get into a fight, kickling and slapping and trying to strangle each other. Then Quinn yells out, "You piece of crap!". Crap. This hardened DC power player/former assassin, won't swear. Not even a mild one like "shit." TV rules are stupid. Rape and sex murder are OK, bad words aren't.

I hope this kidnapping means we are FINALLY (once the arc is resolved), done with Daddy Pope. His speeches get more and more pointless. I just tune them out. Joe Morton has to be pissed off that after a whole career of excellent work, this nonsense is what finally gets him and Emmy. And they speeches get more and more ridiculous. I want to yell at the screen, "What do you want?" What's his problem? If the system Olivia is part of is so horrible, why don't you, Rowan, most powerful man in  the world, change it? If it's hopeless and you want to destroy it, why don't you get on with it instead of dicking around about Olivia's boyfriends, who are apparently racist now? You're supposed to be this brilliant, evil, mastermind, but that's kind of pointless of you aren't a real threat to the system you hate so much.

It's like two different shows air at the same time on the same channel. There's Scandal, a fun nighttime drama set at the White House, and then there's Faux-lias, a fantasy spy show. And the two have nothing to do with each other.

• Love 3

Of course Fitz will go to war over this. They have already called Olivia Helen of Troy. 

To whoever said the speech to Cyrus was like watching an SNL skit... that hit the nail on the head. So was the scene with Charlie and Quinn trying to kill each other with soft romantic music in the background. It was so hilarious but sadly, probably not meant to be funny. 

Still love Mellie... 'It just means we are both at risk for the same STDs' LOL!!

I forgot... does either Olivia or Cyrus know Jake killed James???

Guest Accused Dingo

I had an interesting thought. With Olivia out of the picture for an episode or two....with all the very (very) dangerous people she has on a leash let lose what havoc they will create to get her back. Might be fun.

The reactions of other people might be fun also...like Mellie. You did what you Stupid ass...you just opened the gates of hell.

• Love 1

Sorry but I don't believe in this loving two people at the same time nonsense. If it were a matter of life and death and Liv had to make her own "Sophie's choice" she'd definitely have a preference. She's just a spoiled brat like Fitz who thinks she's entitled to have ALL THE MENS. I'm surprised Jake is still willing to put up with it. (And I could live without ever seeing Jake "dance" again.)

I think it jumped the shark last night with "I choose me." Seriously, Shonda, taking a reference from Kelly Taylor (Beverly Hills, 90210)?

I'm still trying to figure out why she has to choose. Last I checked Fitz is still unavailable. She won't let Fitz go, but she don't want to be alone either. Like Jake said, he's nothing but a booty call. I don't think Shonda has any plans of ending Fitz and Olivia anytime soon. I have to remember that these are grown ass people.

I can't with Quinn and Charlie. I just fucking can't.

I can't with Quinn, or Charlie, or Huck -together or not. Not with any of them.  And did anyone not see from a mile away that Charlie had Quinn's "kill card"?

Loved the scene where Olivia was going to go in to the Oval, and saw Cyrus, Pres, and Abby all having a great time.  And when Olivia's mother and father BOTH put her in her place.

Sigh - so now we have the drama of "what will Fitz do for the women he loves"?  So bored with their relationship at this point, I don't even care. But I'm sure we'll be treated to Fitz agonizing, Olivia being strong and brave,  lather, rinse, repeat. 

Is there hope?........For this show?

Or do I need to make jam from 9-10 on Thursday night?

Edited by mwell345
  • Love 4
Guest Accused Dingo

I don't know why but i love Quinn and Charlie together. I found theirfight scene to Endless Love so mych fun plus the scene after actually sweet.

• Love 3

I can't with Quinn, or Charlie, or Huck -together or not. Not with any of them.  And did anyone not see from a mile away that Charlie had Quinn's "kill card"?

Best unintentional comedy moment on the show was learning that the men of B613 had a king card and the women had a queen card. I'm picturing the office pariah of B613 being told he's the one who has to go around to every corner store and buy up all their packs of playing cards, and then print the faces of the targets on them. And he's all pouty because he gets stuck with the scutwork while everyone else gets to be an assassin.

• Love 13

Best unintentional comedy moment on the show was learning that the men of B613 had a king card and the women had a queen card. I'm picturing the office pariah of B613 being told he's the one who has to go around to every corner store and buy up all their packs of playing cards, and then print the faces of the targets on them. And he's all pouty because he gets stuck with the scutwork while everyone else gets to be an assassin.

LMAO!

• Love 1