Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 11/17/14

Athena
  • Start Topic

Mo 11/17: Steve Harvey, Brooke Shields
Tu 11/18: Shaquille O'Neal, Evangeline Lilly, the latest castoffs from "Dancing with the Stars", guest co-host Naya Rivera
We 11/19: Kevin McKidd, guest co-host Jesse J
Th 11/20: Mayim Bialik, Aaron Sorkin
Fr 11/21: Allison Janney, Norman Lear

I looked up Whoopi Goldberg accused of a crime...... all I could find is the party crasher Real Housewife accused Whoopi of hitting her.

I guess in Whoopi's mind that is the same thing as being accused of rape my multiple women

Another difference... Whoopi denied it... Bill Crosby hasn't talked about it

• Love 2

Whoopi's mmm-hmming was really bad during the Cosby topic.  And she's been sucking away on something while trying to moderate. So annoying.

I think I figured out why Whoopi is doing that.... She is making it look like the person talking is speaking directly to her.... you know because she is the most important person on the show..... honestly, I dont know why the people in charge dont put a stop to it..... unless they are just afraid of Whoopi blowing up on them too

• Love 5

Can't remember the topic already even though it's only been an hour since I watched but when Rosie O was having a rare moment of actually talking about something and Whoopi was doing her usual backup singer shtick with her "Right, right,"  Rosie muttered a "Right" after Whoopi and it gave me a little snicker.  On that note, I am having such a hard time reconciling this 'new' Rosie with the 'old' Rosie.  If it wasn't for the fact that she looks the same, I would not even recognize her. 

Whoopi's mmm-hmming was really bad during the Cosby topic.  And she's been sucking away on something while trying to moderate. So annoying.

I think I figured out why Whoopi is doing that.... She is making it look like the person talking is speaking directly to her.... you know because she is the most important person on the show..... honestly, I dont know why the people in charge dont put a stop to it..... unless they are just afraid of Whoopi blowing up on them too

It's also all about control. 

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 4

Thank you mood stabilizers!

Anything that is to blame for this homogenized, passionless version of Rosie doesn't get a Thank You from moi.  It actually really makes me sad. 

Oh, and to Rosie Perez -- no, that "unless you're homeless" line wasn't funny.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 7

The part about discussing the Bill Cosby allegations was ok. I will admit Whoopi peeved me off a bit by saying more than once that she hoped the accuser would come on the show so she could ask her some questions. She made no mention of hoping Bill Cosby would come on so she could ask him some questions though. If I was accused of something as serious as rape I'd make sure that I put out a statement saying that I had not and would never rape anyone and then make the point of not discussing it any further. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 10

I will admit Whoopi peeved me off a bit by saying more than once that she hoped the accuser would come on the show so she could ask her some questions.

Whoopi thinks very highly of herself. What would she have to ask? Go away Whoopi. Doesn't her family have a reality show in the works that she needs to tend?  

• Love 4

Whoopi thinks very highly of herself. What would she have to ask? Go away Whoopi. Doesn't her family have a reality show in the works that she needs to tend?  

Exactly- what would she have to ask? What answers is she looking for? 

• Love 6

Of all the books they have hawked lately, this is the one I would be the least interested in reading.

People.com has been doling out Brooke's "Bombshell O' The Day" for those who are interested in reading the book without buying.   Bombshells so far include: How Liam Neeson proposed then dumped her; How George Michael didn't want her sex; How Andre Aggassi told her he was a Meth addict; How she lost her virginity to TV's Superman Dean Cain & and how Michael Jackson was terrified of dating.  I will admit that celeb bios are one of my guilty pleasures in life.  I usually wait until they hit the bargain bin or buy them at a used book store but if she keeps it up with her daily doses of "Bombshells" I won't have to put out the 5 bucks for this one because why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Good lord, I don't know what was going on with Brooke Shields today, but I just couldn't figure out why she was going 90 miles an hour.  When she was trying out for the View, she was the epitome of control and poise, very well-spoken and insightful.  Today she was a rabid chipmunk. 

I think she was probably familiar with the' 4 minutes or less per guest' format of this show and so she was speed pimping her way through the interview to sell that book.  She also sounded sick.  Probably exhausted from all of her pimping appearances and her bombshell dropping and whatnot.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 10

I'm tiring of the Whoopi Goldberg Hour (™ someone smarter than I in the last couple weeks).

Conceptually I'm struggling with the 40 minutes of Hot Topics and the two minute interviews, it's really lopsided and the guests feel cut off all the time, and that's not just down to Whoopi's horrendous transitions.

Brooke sounded sick, but what surprised me was her neck/chin area.

Whoopi's half assed defense of Bill Cosby was annoying but I do get how awkward that must feel to have a famous friend that is accused of something horrific, but they were all throwing shade regarding the lack of reporting to the police and rape kits.

The Parker story was cute, I hope it was real.

I'm really struggling here...

• Love 5

Whoopi's half assed defense of Bill Cosby was annoying but I do get how awkward that must feel to have a famous friend that is accused of something horrific, but they were all throwing shade regarding the lack of reporting to the police and rape kits.

It was obvious they didn't read the op-ed in the Washington Post. I would think if your friend was accused of something you just might read the accusation. I wish someone on the show was just a little more prepared. I was surprised we didn't hear "we weren't there".

I was busy during the Brooke interview. I may have to go watch it after reading about it.

• Love 3

Steve Harvey is one of the most gross guests a show for woman could have..... I always find him sexist and belittling to women..... he is a guy that gives men a bad name but he gets all kinds of praise.... I guess he has a very good PR team

And yet he fits in perfectly with Mike Tyson and Andrew Dice Clay.  Oh, and showing  a single youtube clip of a smart mouth girl being cracked across the face so Whoopi can [once again] remind us that she thinks it's okay for men to slap women if she [Whoopi]  thinks they deserve it. 

I'm tiring of the Whoopi Goldberg Hour (™ someone smarter than I in the last couple weeks).

Conceptually I'm struggling with the 40 minutes of Hot Topics and the two minute interviews, it's really lopsided and the guests feel cut off all the time, and that's not just down to Whoopi's horrendous transitions.

Brooke sounded sick, but what surprised me was her neck/chin area.

The Parker story was cute, I hope it was real.

I'm really struggling here...

I hear ya NextIteration.  . 

Half-assed defense is a great description.  Whoopi didn't use any of her catch phrases (we don't know, we weren't there, it wasn't rape-rape) but wants to question the accuser on the show.  Oh, I'm sure this show will be the woman's next stop Whoop.  Points to RO for talking about how awkward it often is when a celebrity friend is accused of a heinous crime and pointing out that there was a settlement and the statute of limitations on any crime has run out.  I don't even know what Rosie P's lengthy stammering comment was trying to say but she's trying so hard not to offend anyone it's ridiculous.     Nicolle won the topic for me with her saying she didn't even want to talk about the speculation because either way it was terrible.  

I think RO's Parker story was real and an attempt to please Whoopi, which it clearly did.  Of course Babs 2.0* had to remind us that she's known Parker since he was little  and he's a cool kid.  What a relief for RO that Whoopi Goldberg has declared Parker cool.  And I highly doubt that Whoopi Goldberg has been part of Parker's life "since he was little" either; I'd guess that RO fans/followers of TROS and her blog "know" him better than Whoopi does. 

I like Brooke Shields and I'm glad she was able to work out her Mom issues (don't we all have those to some degree?) in a book but I'm not interested in reading it.  Sounds like RO was the only one that did, and I had a moment of panic for her on the "She's dead?" thing.  I thought RO handled it well though.  Of course Babs Whoopi had to tell Brooke (and us) that she knew Teri Shields.  Good for Brooke to answer, "Everyone did."  

Whoopi's shoes were pure Whoopi but I could have done without the "maybe I'm not wearing pants" joke right during my lunch hour.  Gross. 

*Both Babs and Whoopi seem to think that working with someone once many years ago is the same thing as knowing them all the years since.

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7

Well they actually covered the Bill Cosby rape news today, well from what I could hear over Whoopi's "uh-huh's" over and over.  Were they extremely more audible today b/c I've never noticed them before today.  I was thinking too why don't they cut her mic feed when she isn't talking, but I have a feeling if Whoopi found out they did that, she would throw a conniption over it.  In Whoopi's mind she wouldn't be able to joke or do her hilarious mock accents on the fly if she knew about it, none of the little non-famous people would be able to hear her amazing words.

If I recall in regards to the Bill Cosby rape allegations is the woman who has come out now and said she tried telling her story from when it first happened, she is not the one who had her case settled.  It was another woman who accused Cosby from the same time who had her case settled so she would basically just go away.  In regards of the woman going to a lawyer first instead of the hospital/cops, well in the case of when the alleged rapist is a high profile person, i've seen in tv shows (yes i know...) where you go to a lawyer first and then they instruct you to go to the hospital and then the cops.  I'm sure it has to do w/when you are at the hospital and the cops are involved and you announce who your alleged rapist is, they probably throw shade at you and don't take you as serious and this way you are kind of protected, i don't know personally.  If this happened back in the early/mid 80's, were rape kits used often or around back then?  

So who has found out what Whoopi's crime was she was accused of?  If it's the shoving/pushing/hitting of that housewife while she has been on the View, well I don't think that's the same thing as being accused of rape Whoopi...

Whoopi looked like shit today w/her hair so messed up at the start of the show, and she really does look like she is balding, although it's the way she styles her hair.  The shoes were ridiculous as well.

Wasn't Brooke Shields touted as a possible co-host at one point for the View?  I believe this was after Rosie's first tenure.

I loved Brooke's joke about her mother not being dead, but it would have been better served on the 18th hour of Today w/ Hoda and Kathie Lee based off of when KL talked about Martin Short's wife in the present tense when she died a few years back.

• Love 3

I think Whoopi's still pissed about losing the Slim Fast deal over her Bush remark and in her mind she feels that she and Cosby are both being unjustly vilified via public opinion. I don't like Steve H or Cosby. Both seem to think very highly of themselves and therefore entitled and shouldn't be held accountable. And they're misogynists to boot. 

• Love 6

I like Brooke Shields and I'm glad she was able to work out her Mom issues (don't we all have those to some degree?) in a book but I'm not interested in reading it.

Agree  with this!

I also really do not care at all about what men she has been with. Really? Why does she think anyone cares to know?

• Love 1

From an article quoting Whoopi regarding Bill Cosby: “You have to really take a minute and follow the evidence — follow what happened,” Goldberg said. “We'll know when we know. That's what I know.”   Does this take the place of "we don't know, we weren't there" ? Or is she now the word salad user? 

• Love 10

It seems now that  everyone is attacking Whoopi   because Sherri and Bitsy are no longer around.

I was thinking that a month or so ago, but as time has gone on, I think it's more about the bar being raised and Whoopi not being able to rise with it - or that all of these annoying tics of hers are much more noticeable now that most want to hear what the other co-hosts have to say over the nonsense that we got from Bitsy, Sherri and Jenny (and Barbara).

• Love 11

It seems now that  everyone is attacking Whoopi   because Sherri and Bitsy are no longer around.

I was thinking that a month or so ago, but as time has gone on, I think it's more about the bar being raised and Whoopi not being able to rise with it - or that all of these annoying tics of hers are much more noticeable now that most want to hear what the other co-hosts have to say over the nonsense that we got from Bitsy, Sherri and Jenny (and Barbara).

When the season first started I liked what I saw: new set, new co-hosts, new producer, new music, with very little left tof the craptastic mess this show was last year (and the year before, etc)  except the same moderator.  But even Whoopi seemed more alert.   Then slowly, the new furniture was replaced with stuff just like the old, the set mimicked the old set, the Whoopi's shoe cam returned, Whoopi's reading might have improved but her moderating had not.  The fart jokes, the Let Me Tell You How It Is attitude was still there only now going unchecked.   Babs disdain for the viewers was replaced by Whoopi's disdain for the viewers - or at least their feedback. 

At three months in, I am back to FF through much of the show.  I skipped most of the week RO was gone.  For me, the snark value isn't really even there because it's not the whole table sucking;  for me it's really just about Whoopi - the biggest common denominator between the last few seasons and this "new" season.  

• Love 9

Been away for a few days (getting caught up reading comments) but away or not, I planned on not watching last week anyway because of Rosie O not there.

Saw a little today.  Something bothered me, so I watched and listened again on the west coast airing.  I know I could be wrong, but on the live show at 11, during the Bill Cosby discussion, I thought I heard Whoopi say something like "let's get her on the show, I have some questions I'd like to ask her", or something like "I have some questions for her", in what I felt was said in a somewhat threatening tone, then Nicolle said "she was on GMA today and here's a clip".*  I watched only for that part again later, the airing of the show later from the west coast, waiting and watching for that, and it was not there. 

If the ladies took a side, it was Cosby's.  Make no mistake.  No, no, no, I don't care if these are showbiz "friends" of yours.  I don't care if it's difficult for you to speak on it because these are "friends" of yours.  I appreciated Nicolle making note of the powerful man he is, and having the means to sweep it all under the rug.  I know that I must accept (but I don't have to respect) that this has all been "settled" already.  The bigger picture is coming to light.  Finally.  This is the real story behind all of this (as well as the Jian Ghomeshi situation) and I am hoping the ladies will speak to it (with Whoopi at the helm, and the Rosies and their good showbiz "friendships", I'm not holding my breath). 

The bigger story here is that women still do not feel confident reporting these crimes.  They are humiliated, they are shamed, they are threatened into slinking away from it with "you sure you really want to do this?  You will lose your job, your friends...".  "This will take up all your time...you will have to take unpaid time from work while the court case is heard...this will cost you your life savings...".  "Are you sure you want to do this?"...

I did not hear it the second time I watched that part today, but I heard it the first time.  Whoopi in a threatening tone about having this woman on the show because she has a few questions she'd "like to ask her".  Then in the next segment she discussed how wrong it is to be threatening, yelling at everyone "anonymous" at home, because apparently there's a Target Youtube about a cute guy.  I know nothing about that, but I agree with her that no one deserves threats.  I see now why that line I'm reasonably sure she said was removed before the show was aired from the west coast. 

* Oh come on.  If they were going to discuss this at all, and they were, since it was announced in the opening, why for the sake of all things that are true, would Whoopi not know anything about her appearance on GMA?  Just more pathetic proof of the lack of preparation for the show on her part.  She's above it.  And we spend our precious time watching and she can't prepare at all?  Shameful. 

• Love 6

It seems that Whoopster's hair has taken on a life of its own!  They must have been speaking to her in her earpiece about it during the Cosby discussion, because she kept readjusting it.  Wish she would have it restyled/re-locked  - reminds me of Johnny Depp as Tonto.

• Love 2

Saw a little today. Something bothered me, so I watched and listened again on the west coast airing. I know I could be wrong, but on the live show at 11, during the Bill Cosby discussion, I thought I heard Whoopi say something like "let's get her on the show, I have some questions I'd like to ask her", or something like "I have some questions for her", in what I felt was said in a somewhat threatening tone, then Nicolle said "she was on GMA today and here's a clip".* I watched only for that part again later, the airing of the show later from the west coast, waiting and watching for that, and it was not there.

I'm not sure what you watched DA, but that was all included in the West Coast feed. Nothing was cut as far as I could tell. I can't say that I found anything particularly "threatening" in WG's tone, just...I dont know...discomfort I guess with the woman's story and wanting to look her in the eye.

I'm completely with Nicolle on this one. It's a horrible awful thing no matter what the truth is and I just don't even want to speculate on it. Unfortunately, it appears that none of the alleged victims ever went to the police so no formal investigations were ever done. Like it or not, the man has the right to the presumption of innocence. As far as we know there's never been an investigation or any charges filed, much less a trial or conviction. As I understand it there was a lawsuit filed by several other women in 2006(?) making essentially identical claims and it was quickly settled out of court, so we will never know the truth of that. Either he's a monster or his reputation is being unjustly ruined in the court of public opinion and social media. It's just awful and sad no matter how you slice it.

Edited by TribbleTrouble
  • Love 7

It seems that Whoopster's hair has taken on a life of its own!  They must have been speaking to her in her earpiece about it during the Cosby discussion, because she kept readjusting it.  Wish she would have it restyled/re-locked  - reminds me of Johnny Depp as Tonto.

She said she saw her hair in the monitor and it looked like she had an octopus on her head. I bet she kept an eye on the monitor and was adjusting

speaking of Cosby..... isn't it just shameful what people can get away with just because they have money? our society needs to change.

Edit:

On that same note..... it is just as shameful that so many victims are willing to do a money grab instead of having their day in court. How can justice be served if they would rather get paid??

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 1
Edit:

On that same note..... it is just as shameful that so many victims are willing to do a money grab instead of having their day in court. How can justice be served if they would rather get paid??

I think this really depends on each case and individual circumstance. While some people do sue just for the money/settlement, many others go in with the intent to see justice done. But the justice system has failed many of these victims. In the Cosby case, the accuser filed a civil claim since it exceeded the statue of limitations and it's just hard to prove rape in general. The victims incur a lot of legal fees, personal stress, and it can take years before things go to an actual court. It's all consuming to the point where many victims can't move on. When accusing a celebrity or a well known figure, it is more strenuous. Many people don't believe you, side with your rapist in public, and/or slander or threaten you and your loved ones. 

• Love 9

Here are links to the civil case and "prior bad acts" filed on behalf of the woman who received the settlement from Cosby.  I think Nicolle did have it right, it's just awful to discuss from either perspective, but there is a "where this a lot of smoke" aspect to this as there is in the Jian Ghomeshi case (thanks for the reference Dreamboat Annie, eesh, what a can of worms that is).

I'm not understanding how or why Whoopi is getting away with being so unprepared with Wolff as EP, not that they haven't all had some blips*, but Whoopi is by far the least prepared and she's the know it all barking at us that "this is the way it is", if she's going to be that insistent about her view somebody should damn well be making sure that she's in possession of all the facts, even if they have to spoon feed the stuff to her in the make up chair or through her IFB.

*I'm still thinking of Nicolle's later correction about the "cure" for Ebola which reminded me of what Rachel Maddow will do when she get's things wrong.  We should be seeing that far more often from the co-hosts.

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 4

Boy Rosie P really annoys me..... she "warned" the protesters not to be violent.... if she had any clue she would know that the protesters have not been violent in the past. There have been people coming from other areas to cause trouble and that is who the police responded to... against the protesters.

Maybe you would have been more correct Rosie if you would have warned the police not to over react again

• Love 5

Best Rosie O show in recent times.   Her comments about Ferguson, and then singing with the little Frozen girls was awesome.

Honestly I wish she'd do more with kids on TV--it makes her shine--you can tell how much she loves children.

• Love 3

I think something is definitely going on.  Rosie made a point to mention she was skipping some questions and then would thank people who are concerned but say she wasn't talking about that topic: 

Despite everything that's been said about Steve Harvey, I really must say his book "Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man" really tells women (particularly the young ones) where the bear shit in the buckwheat with respect to men & sex.  His rule:  Don't sleep with a man until you've had twenty "proper" dates & he meets your expectations, is something that women, in general, can hang their hats on.  Yes, he comes across as rather sleazy, but his message to women is a good one.  (Oxytocin gets women in a lot of trouble.)

• Love 3

Whoopi will try to one up Rosie or shut her down even when she doesn't really disagree with her, just to be a contrarian.  It most definitely IS about race.  Young black men are much more likely to be harassed or stopped by cops, what is Whoopi even talking about?  Does she hear herself?  Rosie just looked down and let Whoopi go.

• Love 11

Well now that HotTopics segment dealing w/the Ferguson shooting/grand jury/early declaring of state of emergency was tense.  I really thought that Nicole was poking the bear and pushing Rosie a little, and yes Nicole had valid points as well.  You could tell when they went to break that Rosie was upset b/c she had her blue card and was rolling it up and tearing it up.  I agree, Whoopi thinks she has to have the last word and her word is gospel.  I think what really pissed of Whoopi today was the fact that Rosie was here wearing her heart on her sleeve and calling out the way that young black men are treated/harassed in this country and how it needs to stop.  Whoopi was pissed b/c here was a white woman on this panel speaking this truth, and yet the black woman on the panel sat back and said nothing.  Whoopi saw how that was going to read and decided to contradict Rosie then switch it around.  It's all about publicity/image for Whoopi.  Whoopi really does think this is her show and everyone else is beneath her, which makes me mad b/c she really had me w/her at the start of the show when she saw her mother's friend in the audience.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 7

I think Whoopi's "second Mother" in the audience was a set-up to show how "human" Whoopi is!!  Don't you think if someone of that stature in her life was coming to the show, someone would give her a heads up?  I'm calling B.S.  JMHO.

Edited to add:  These "personal" scenarios suck up "show time", sometimes unnecessarily!!!

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 7

Of course Whoopi had to end an interesting conversation with a fart ugh! I hate when all the other co host just crack up at all her fart jokes. I felt bad for RosieO ,  she was speaking from her heart and of course WG had to hijack the conversation.

• Love 9

I think Whoopi's "second Mother" in the audience was a set-up to show how "human" Whoopi is!!  Don't you think if someone of that stature in her life was coming to the show, someone would give her a heads up?  I'm calling B.S.  JMHO.

I'm calling it, too.  The woman was seated in the front row and the other woman with her (presumably her daughter) had a friggin' microphone in her hand so the producers/people-behind-the-scenes knew she was there and seated her accordingly complete with mic-in-hand, so there is no way in hell that Whoopi wasn't told.  And as far as how human it made her look -- big, giant FAIL there because those tears she was shedding were fake because there was none and she didn't even give them a chance to speak even though they were given a microphone for cripe's sake. 

• Love 6

Today's show seemed like such a bizarre mash up of stuff that Tommy Chong dancing with his partner at the end (even if they did have a mishap) seemed appropriate. I felt bad for Rosie during Hot Topics today and sitting on the steps singing with those little girls seemed to bring her a feeling of relief but I noticed after the Shaq in show commercial she returned to giving off the vibes that she wasn't very happy with how things were going today.

• Love 6

Boy Rosie P really annoys me..... she "warned" the protesters not to be violent.... if she had any clue she would know that the protesters have not been violent in the past. There have been people coming from other areas to cause trouble and that is who the police responded to... against the protesters.

Maybe you would have been more correct Rosie if you would have warned the police not to over react again

I was wondering if the panel was ever going to discuss Ferguson, lol. Very clever of Nicolle to strongly advise President Obama to go all out with presidential boots on the ground in Ferguson once the grand jury announces its decision. She knows what fires up her party and nothing fires them up like the White House addressing a case of white-on-black violence. RWNJs still haven't recovered from Obama's "If I had a son he would look like Trayvon" comment from two years ago. They will be like lions on an injured wildebeest if he so much as mentions Mike Brown's name and if he's physically present in Missouri, Forget.It.

• Love 9