Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Just A Regular Irregular

Athena

Sherlock helps a math genius from his network of 'Irregulars' experts after he stumbles upon a body while participating in a math puzzle competition. Joan attempts to extend an olive branch after she learns about Kitty’s past.

• Love 1

"She is not our child." Hee. Joan, who are you kidding? She's so your kid already.

I missed last week, but very much enjoyed this episode. The math guy is always a hoot, I was dying at Sherlock meeting Joan's boyfriend, and--while I didn't hate Kitty after 3x01--I thought she was quite engaging tonight. The show did a good job of adding her without detracting from the Sherlock/Watson relationship.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 3

Yeah, it was about as bad as I figured with Kitty. Sherlock was right though, he shouldn't push her into therapy because he feels some guilt of getting something out of their relationship. On the other hand, his family analogy made me wince a bit. Glad Joan set him straight on that score.

On the stuntcasting front, using the example of Billy Crystal and Robin Williams on Friends as a zero, I'd give casting Phil Simms as unfulfilled knife-thrower a five.

• Love 1

Not enough suspects

Not sure of the point of the new female character. Similarly Grimm has a new female character, not sure why there either.

Getting Joan out of the brownstone was probably healthy for all concerned, but it has also made the show less interesting. Joan's apt couldn't be more generic.

Glad to see Harlan return, and Rich Sommer was fun as always.  He made the case more interesting, even though I easily figured out the killer was Jacob Pitts' character.  His Tim from Justified would have done a much better job at covering his tracks! (or, really, never would have done a horrible thing like that)

OK, I actually didn't mind Kitty this time.  Her being a rape victim does explain why she was as bad with Bell last week as she was (I think he did touch her arm or something), and was integrated better in this episode.  Glad that she's agreeing to get help, and Joan is accompanying her.

The Phil Simms cameo was just bizarre.  Really felt like the show was like "Well, CBS wants us to do this, so lets just have him throw knives and call it a day."

• Love 1

I liked the mystery of the week in tonight's episode, but they really needed more suspects to fool us with.  I knew who the killer was simply because my only 2 choices were the woman mathematician from early in the episode and the rich guy who appeared at the halfway point.  The math puzzle game sounded like fun, though!  I'd be hopeless at it, but I'd like to tag along with a qualified player and "help" as much as I could.

I didn't know who the football guy was, but I figured it was some kind of "Elementary" - "Thursday Night Football" hand-off of the time slot.  His acting was fine.

Maybe Harlan could travel to LA and help out the "Scorpion" team.  He'd make some good friends that way (and they wouldn't be as oblivious to his reaching out as Sherlock was!).

• Love 1
Are we supposed to assume that Joan's been assaulted in the past from the epilogue? Or did it come up in dialogue in a past episode and I just forgot?
Well, she was kidnapped, which, like sexual assault, is all about power.

Or, Joan could have been there to support Kitty in the same way Joan would go to AA meetings with Sherlock to support him.  But if it was a closed meeting, Joan could have qualified due to her own kidnap experience.  In my opinion, her bedding Mycroft so soon afterwards was a stress reaction to the kidnapping so I am glad that Joan might some help for that even if she is just there just to support Kitty.

Speaking of Kitty being a survivor of abuse, I had expected her to not take well to Harlan taking off his shirt in front of her, especially since he gave no initial explanation.  Also, how is she going to handle all of Sherlock's sexual excapades, especially those with dominance/submission undertones?  Is Sherlock planning to be sitting in her room starring at her while she wakes up as he did with Joan?  If so, expect some acid on your face, Sherlock.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 3

Yay, Harlan, glad to see you again! 

Math -- not my favorite subject, but I did enjoy this episode a lot.

Kitty -- not, strictly speaking, necessary to the show, but I think she will prove to be an asset.

This is looking to be a very promising season.

• Love 1

I still don't understand the point of Kitty, especially if Sherlock & Joan keep working cases together.

It gives them an A case and a B case to investigate I would guess .It gives Bell more of a role as he is always on one of the two teams .

I could tell this was a good episode because we managed not to nod off before the end.

... and I realized at what point the nodding off starts to occur : The hook at the beginning of the episodes is usually solid, but things start to bog down as soon as they start to dwell on Holmes and his wacky home life and his menagerie of misfit friends. Okay, we get it - Holmes is odd and so are his acquaintances, but TPTB just go on and on about how very, very not-normal they are with too much detail.

I could be okay with Watson showing up at Holmes' place with some evidence and find him washing a lama - but then carry on the discussion of the case without acknowledging the absurdity.. The drag - for me - is Holmes droning on and on about how the absurd situation came to be and why it is completely logical and acceptable. 

And someone should keep a photo diary of Watson's wardrobe. Last night's gauze shirt was better than her wine sack tops, but still ... odd. Holmes also dresses and cuts his hair like the stereotype of someone in a mental ward. It might be fun if he came to the logical conclusion that he would get better reception if he allowed someone else to dictate his styling (begrudging, of course). 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2

Was it me, or was the top of Watson's dress (blouse? I couldn't tell) like... two wrinkled dinner napkins sewn together?

(Wait a minute. Now I am looking at the photo -- it's a blouse. Still, did she pick up those napkins from Mycroft's restaurant and weave them into a blouse to commemorate their relationship? The thing is, the clothes they put her in are often very lovely, and they're fashionable and age-appropriate and all that, but it's a lot of the same thing and more and more frequently the choices are weird, I think.) 

Edited by Al Lowe
  • Love 1
Was it me, or was the top of Watson's dress (blouse? I couldn't tell) like... two wrinkled dinner napkins sewn together?

It was not you, can't imagine anyone thinking the blouse was going to hold it all in for an entire day.

So Sherlock saved Bell's life (moving him out of the line of the door at the motel/apartment.)  Does that mean that Bell has forgiven Sherlock a little for the tremor in his hand?  I loved the awkward man-touching in that scene.  It reminded me of the "two pillows" in Trains, Planes, and Automobiles.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1

I was happy with Kitty. The dynamic is working for me. Regarding Sherlock waking her up, I think this version of Sherlock is way more socially appropriate when he chooses. And he chooses with her. He doesn't crowd her in scenes. And her knew he needed Joan' s help. It works for me.

I hope Andrew acquires a personality very soon. He is merely pleasant. Watson is settling. I wonder if John Cho is available. I think his humor would suit the show and he is easy to look at.

Love Harlan! So hapless. Rich Sommer excels at vaguely loser guys who are annoying. And yet I like him.

• Love 2
I still don't understand the point of Kitty, especially if Sherlock & Joan keep working cases together.

This episode suggested to me that Kitty being around is ultimately to let another facet of Sherlock and Joan's relationship develop: for lack of a better word, the co-parenting side. It's to push Sherlock and Joan into a new type of dynamic, force them to work together in a really different way than they have previously.

Joan's apt couldn't be more generic.

To be fair, I think that's the point. Holmes even called her out on it.

• Love 2

Getting Joan out of the brownstone was probably healthy for all concerned, but it has also made the show less interesting. Joan's apt couldn't be more generic.

I liked Kitty in this one especially that the horrible crime perpetrated against her was kept somewhat vague but with enough details to freak you out--she went through hell and she wants to put it behind her but she obviously needs counseling, so this should be interesting to see.  

I also like that both Sherlock and Joan saw that Kitty needs help dealing with her trauma and it worries me that she is only going so she can continue to work as a detective--she'll just be going through the motions and not really getting anything out of it.

I really hope that Kitty starts to realize that Joan is someone she can look up to as well--as awesome as Sherlock is, she needs to see that Joan can mentor as well because she has a different perspective.

I know next to nothing about football players, so the stunt casting was lost on me.  I did however think the knife throwing was kind of cool :)

And I liked Sherlock's reaction to Joan's apartment--calling it pleasant and admitting that he was surprised that she wanted such an ordinary life were definite cuts, but maybe that's what Joan needs right now?

• Love 2

Not a bad episode, but I  had the same problem with it  that I had with 3x01. It's like Sherlock needs Joan and thinks she's awesome  and great and Joan is totally "meh" about Sherlock. I can't imagine this Watson saying Holmes was the best and wisest man she had ever known.

Loved Rich Sommers. He's so slimy in Mad Men... But here, he seems to  be a nice guy. 

• Love 1

Not a bad episode, but I  had the same problem with it  that I had with 3x01. It's like Sherlock needs Joan and thinks she's awesome  and great and Joan is totally "meh" about Sherlock. I can't imagine this Watson saying Holmes was the best and wisest man she had ever known. 

It does seem like Joan is still punishing Sherlock for his eight month disappearing act--she seems very angry in her scenes with him, especially in the one where Sherlock referenced the two of them as Kitty's parents, as if Joan doesn't want to be tied to Sherlock in anyway--and I hope the show addresses this soon because it's becoming painful to watch Joan's coldness.   

And it's especially jarring when we have both Gregson and Bell working together so well with Sherlock--I liked Gregson's reaction to them having such a close call with the shooting-- and I really liked Sherlock's asking for the dead mathematician's notes instead of just demanding them.

The wardrobe department at least chose the mathematician's shirt well.  Not that it was attractive, but it's what he would likely have worn in college, and those shirts have so much polyester that they last many years.  If he had a good rayon shirt he might have kept it on.

• Love 1

Joan has never been my fave part of the show in the past, but I find myself more interested in her stuff than Sherlock's. He just annoys me now. The phone conversation with him talking about Joan having sex? I would've just hung up on his ass.

Holmes also dresses and cuts his hair like the stereotype of someone in a mental ward.

I know! I hate his haircut. He looked so much better in Season 1.

• Love 2

I'm not going to criticize Joan's apartment.  It's nicer than anything I've ever lived in.

Joan has never been my fave part of the show in the past, but I find myself more interested in her stuff than Sherlock's. He just annoys me now. The phone conversation with him talking about Joan having sex? I would've just hung up on his ass.

It seems like TPTB made changes this season in response to perceived (by fans or themselves) weaknesses in the premise: Joan in her own [*Very Nice] apartment and doing interesting cases on her own. If Joan had stayed in Sherlock's brownstone much longer, it would've stretched credulity given their platonic relationship (at least for most viewers; my adult daughter in NYC shared an apartment with a heterosexual male for 10 years while they both had other lovers).
  • Love 2

Kitty may be going to meetings solely to keep her detective trainee status, but Sherlock started going to meetings solely to keep Joan and his father happy, so it's not like the show doesn't believe an unwilling start might lead to a productive result. I actually think a large number of people who go to AA are court-mandated or otherwise there because they feel like they are being forced, and think it's bunk in the beginning.

Joan's apartment was generic as hell, but it was also full of light, unlike Sherlock's dank, dirty, dumpster-furnished, dungeonlike atmosphere, but the main thing I thought when I saw it was: YE GODS: with the cost of rent in NYC, that is a HUGE apartment, and more like what I'd expect for a person considerably more wealthy. Her previous apartment was also fairly bland, but it was small, and somehow seemed proportionate to her lifestyle.

I don't remember the previous appearance of Rich Sommers' math guy. Was that a case we actually saw, or did they just act as though it was?

• Love 2

Joan is ordered and neat (as one might expect a doctor's to be) and the fact that she lived as long as she did in Sherlock's Early Garage Sale place is testament to how much she has "recovered" by the trauma of her divorce from her medical career.  Time for her to leave yhe nest; she learned plenty from Sherlock and can now employ it.  Just as Sherlock found another friend in Kitty.

I don't remember the previous appearance of Rich Sommers' math guy. Was that a case we actually saw, or did they just act as though it was?

We previously saw Rich Sommer/Harlan help in a math case (Season 2: Episode 2: Solve for X.)  We even saw his bare chest reflected on a math wall of crazy.  Shelock had told Joan in that episode that he had used Harlan on previous cases. The scene we did not see was one where Harlan went tried to go from irregular to Sherlock's friend.  I think that was reference was creative license of the current writers, I don't think there were any hints of that in Solve for X.

The wardrobe department at least chose the mathematician's shirt well.  Not that it was attractive, but it's what he would likely have worn in college, and those shirts have so much polyester that they last many years.  If he had a good rayon shirt he might have kept it on.

So true; so profound.  "If only I had worn less polyester and more natural fibers in college...maybe would have kept those shirts on and studied more..."

Edited by MaryHedwig

It does seem like Joan is still punishing Sherlock for his eight month disappearing act--she seems very angry in her scenes with him, especially in the one where Sherlock referenced the two of them as Kitty's parents, as if Joan doesn't want to be tied to Sherlock in anyway--and I hope the show addresses this soon because it's becoming painful to watch Joan's coldness.   

And it's especially jarring when we have both Gregson and Bell working together so well with Sherlock--I liked Gregson's reaction to them having such a close call with the shooting-- and I really liked Sherlock's asking for the dead mathematician's notes instead of just demanding them.

To be fair they had very different relationships. As Gregson pointed out in the first episode this season, "We aren't friends..." So it isn't like he's forgiven him, he's just using him for his consultant duties(he was pretty stern to him at the beginning of the episode too). Bell was obviously least close to Holmes so he's forgiven him quickest but Greyson is still a bit harsh and Joan, who's his abandonment cut deepest, is obviously the most cold and hurt by him. I like it. What Sherlock did was wrong and thoughtless, cruel even, so I want to see him and Joan rebuild their relationship.

• Love 3

I think I know the problem with Elementary.  Lifetime Network must have secretly taken over the Sherlock Holmes franchise.  Therapy... group sessions... Holmes all mushy and sentimental.  Stories of the greatest detective ever now come across how I imagine a romance novel reads. 

Thanks, showrunners, for a great first season.  Time to say 'adios.' 

• Love 2

I liked seeing Sherlock push Bell out of the way when he heard those shots.  Also liked seeing Kitty and Watson bond.  Checked in for an episode this week out of curiosity, but I still feel like this rift is kind of gimmicky.  I don't mind Kitty at all and it would be great for Sherlock and Watson help her in their own way together.  I know these two need to heal what's happened and in theory that shouldn't be rushed, but this show would be so much more fun to watch if Watson and Sherlock could get to a place of respect and friendship already.  I'd feel differently if I could get myself interested in the issues that divide them but that's not happening right now.  Rather than whine about how much I regret the writers messing with the season 1 partnership that I loved so much, I'll try to stick to my promise of returning to the show at a later date when I hopefully understand where this show is going with Sherlock and Watson.

Part of the charm of this show was Sherlock and Watson trying to coexist in one space and the ridiculousness of it. I miss his random wake up calls to Joan or her waking up to find Clyde carrying a message on his little stegosaurus cozy. Skype and phone calls are not going to cut it. The two of them being so separate on cases is also not appealing to me. I understand the need for change, but this tore apart the relationship that was the fabric of the show and it's not as interesting. 

• Love 7

I bet Sherlock eventually feels compelled to share something with Joan in the middle of the night, goes to her apartment, breaks in and either waits in living room for her to wake or leaves a note via Clyde which would be (in his assessment) considerate given the magnitude of his discovery. And then explains that to her when she gets upset about said invasion of privacy.

• Love 2

Part of the charm of this show was Sherlock and Watson trying to coexist in one space and the ridiculousness of it. I miss his random wake up calls to Joan or her waking up to find Clyde carrying a message on his little stegosaurus cozy. Skype and phone calls are not going to cut it.

I agree, but I wonder if the show may be building up to Joan moving back in to the brownstone once she and Sherlock repair their relationship. The first time Joan lived at the brownstone, she kind of fell into it--like, yes, of course she made the choice to stay, but her hand was also a bit forced when she felt like she had to give her apartment up. I think it would be hugely meaningful if Joan moves back in, and this time gives up a separate apartment simply because she wants to live with Sherlock again, not also because outside forces intervened.

• Love 2
I bet Sherlock eventually feels compelled to share something with Joan in the middle of the night, goes to her apartment, breaks in and either waits in living room for her to wake or leaves a note via Clyde which would be (in his assessment) considerate given the magnitude of his discovery. And then explains that to her when she gets upset about said invasion of privacy.

I could so see this.  I am wondering; however, if Sherlock will break in because he discovers something about Andrew.  Either he will be in trouble or the trouble himself.  I am betting on the latter because the former why Sherlock broke into Mycroft's apt.

I agree, but I wonder if the show may be building up to Joan moving back in to the brownstone once she and Sherlock repair their relationship.

If they follow canon, this will be after Andrew/Mary has passed away.

In S1, Sherlock looked kind of bad-ass, what with the parade of hookers and the rough & tough lifestyle he enjoyed.  In S2, he looked a little threadbare and homeless.  This year, as noted above, he looks like a recent resident of an asylum.  I'm not sure what the producers are going for here, but I liked him better in S1.

The brownstone, likewise, was preferable in S1.  it appeared to be midway through some renovations, so the unfinished look and grubbiness made some sense.  Now, it just looks dirty and dark.  I love the layout of the place, though, and would kill to get my hands on it.  It's the same floor plan as the lovely home in "Life With Father" (William Powell, Elizabeth Taylor, Martin Milner).

I was just thinking that Sherlock's shirts looked nicer this year. I assume the hair is for another role.

I think Watson is totally right to be hurt and angry. And I think she is being quite fair. She works with him, respects him, treats him like a colleague. Their friendship was always challenging. She has established boundaries now. I think some warmth will return but Joan has never been all that cuddly. Their sweetest moment was over the bees and maybe when he asked to come to the grave with her. I like that she is a bit dispassionate.

• Love 1

I can't put my finger on it, but I just can't get into this season. I don't know if it is Kitty, I don't know  what it is, but it is not the same.

I'm hoping that now that the writers have telegraphed to the audience that Kitty is Sherlock and Joan's surrogate child/pet, it will get better. After all, children eventually leave the nest.

I sort of hope Andrew dies a bit randomly like in cannon. Another evil lover would be a bit much. So a car accident or even the flu (the young die of it too). Not every death is dramatic. But please show, give him a personality. Or else I will question Joan' s taste. Being tall with a good head of hair and regular features should not be enough. Although he is more in the Liam mode than Mycroft. If Joan has a type, Andrew is it.

• Love 1
I can't put my finger on it, but I just can't get into this season. I don't know if it is Kitty, I don't know  what it is, but it is not the same.

In previous seasons, each episode would have a scene where Sherlock demonstrated what a compassionate, caring person he really was underneath all the damage and quirkiness.  Those scenes are happily seared in my mind: Sherlock hugging the Russian bride who was kept as a slave in the basement; Sherlock asking Joan to accompany him to distribute blankets to the homeless in the park, one of which might have been Joan's father; Sherlock talking to Alistair's ghost at the grave site; Sherlock eye-hugging Joan the first time he sees her after the kidnapping;   I have not been touched by any scene like that this season.  Of course, with Kitty being so damaged there is the potential for a few. 

I sort of hope Andrew dies a bit randomly like in cannon. Another evil lover would be a bit much. So a car accident or even the flu (the young die of it too). Not every death is dramatic. But please show, give him a personality. Or else I will question Joan' s taste. Being tall with a good head of hair and regular features should not be enough.

I am hoping they follow canon and kill off Andrew off stage as well.  I am assuming that is where we are heading because the audience has not been given a chance to bond and fall in love with him on our own, great hair can only take you so far.   I bet Sherlock would agree with me, Joan maybe getting "adequately sexed" but doesn't seem to be getting much else out of this relationship.  Andrew seems as generic as her apartment, maybe he was part of the HOA package.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 1