Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Self Help

halgia
  • Start Topic

Ambiguity is not a bad thing and we don't need everything spelled out for us in words of one syllable,  but please, a clue would be nice.

Totally agree.  Although we've been through this a number of times on this board, I feel like the producers either let us down here, or something happened at the last minute and there was an edit that went awry.

Hey, can someone tell this old fogey how to get the person's name to appear in the quote that I've lifted????

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 3
I, personally, take it as a mark of respect for the audience. Real life is rarely (if ever) clearly telegraphed with lots of exposition. And Gimple trusts us, the viewers, to each process things in our own way. Hey, if he spelled everything out we'd have way less to talk about here. And I really enjoy seeing all the varied reactions and theories.
I think the opposite, I think it's a complete mark of DISrespect for the audience if they expect us to have to read outside material (comics and message boards) and watch another show (Talking Dead) to gain any understanding of what the hell was going on.  If he wants us to make our own impressions, then fine.  My impression of watching the show was that Abraham was a complete nutcase who killed some human beings who were simply trying to live just like he was.  He was a selfish prick for not sharing the food that wasn't his to begin with.  Then he came back to his wife and they were so scared of this psycho killer that they would rather flee outside and get eaten by walkers.

If he wants me to make my own interpretation, then that's all that I was given to work with.  But then he shouldn't have the actor on Talking Dead saying "no no no you all had it wrong, Abraham's not a psycho.  His wife got raped and he was defending his family and taking care of the rapists.  He's a good family man."  I mean, screw him.  He shouldn't tell us to make our own interpretations and then later on tell us that our interpretation is wrong because of all this outside information we didn't have.

Hey, can someone tell this old fogey how to get the person's name to appear in the quote that I've lifted????

JackONeill if you hit the red quote symbol in the person's post, and then hit "reply to quoted post" you will get the person's name above the box.  If you just copy and paste, as I did for the previous quote, you just get a box with no name.

• Love 11

Jenner didn't know it wasn't a virus.  He told the group he didn't know what is was: viral, bacterial, fungal or something else.  Which annoyed me because he ran blood tests and declared everyone infected.  

I'm guessing that whatever it was caused some change in blood chemistry that could be easily detected even if the causing agent couldn't (like how a low white blood cell count can be a warning sign of leukemia). I'm pretty sure if it were a bacterium or parasitic infestation it would have been detected early on in the process. Fungal and viral infections would be harder to detect, as would weirder things like prion diseases.

• Love 2

If he wants me to make my own interpretation, then that's all that I was given to work with.  But then he shouldn't have the actor on Talking Dead saying "no no no you all had it wrong, Abraham's not a psycho.  His wife got raped and he was defending his family and taking care of the rapists.  He's a good family man."  I mean, screw him.  He shouldn't tell us to make our own interpretations and then later on tell us that our interpretation is wrong because of all this outside information we didn't have.

I'm sure there will be more flashbacks about Abraham that will answer all the questions, but they shouldn't have spilled it in Talking Dead.  I think the actor just goofed by tossing out that spoiler.

• Love 3

Unless you're really tall, the rapists would catch on to the disguise. Then you'd really be in deep shit, unfortunately. I'm 5'2" so the best I could hope for would be a "kind" rapist who would do anything to protect me from the other rapists.

Make sure you put some sugar in that lemonade. I found this to funny and I know it is wrong. Singles ad in the ZA, "single woman needs kind gentle rapists for protection and food. I will not scream, it being the ZA and all, unless you are into that kind of thing."
  • Love 7

Singles ad in the ZA, "single woman needs kind gentle rapists for protection and food. I will not scream, it being the ZA and all, unless you are into that kind of thing."

LOL! Who wants to bet there are already ads like that - minus the ZA angle - on Craigslist?

• Love 1

You know, horrifying a concept though it is, a woman in the ZA who has no survival skills and no way to learn might be wise to use her body to her advantage in order to secure herself some protection in exchange for sexual services rendered.

I imagine most men would be happy to get regular sexytimes without all the moral issues relating to rape. Granted, hopefully a truly decent man would just help the woman learn and adapt and not accept sex in exchange but...sliding scale, right? One could justify it as a business transaction: service for service. I'd rather be the one who made the practical choice about who had access to my vagina and why, rather than some douchebag(s) deciding that he's/they're entitled to take it because he/they want(s) it.

Hell, even if Andrea hadn't been interested in the Governor, I wouldn't have begrudged her exchanging sex for a place in Woodbury. It's the ZA...you work with what you've got.

• Love 4

Yeah, to each according to their abilities and all that. Sometimes your skill set really is just that limited, and all you can bring to the table is your vajayjay. But, anyway... enough about Lori...

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 7

JackONeill if you hit the red quote symbol in the person's post, and then hit "reply to quoted post" you will get the person's name above the box.  If you just copy and paste, as I did for the previous quote, you just get a box with no name.

I would add that not only does the OP's name appear above the box, but they get a notification that you have quoted them in a new post.

If you just copy and paste, they are not notified, and they may not know you replied--or debated--or confirmed etc.

Sometimes I'm completely surprised to find out that someone answered my question...two weeks ago.

• Love 4

I would add that not only does the OP's name appear above the box, but they get a notification that you have quoted them in a new post.

If you just copy and paste, they are not notified, and they may not know you replied--or debated--or confirmed etc.

Sometimes I'm completely surprised to find out that someone answered my question...two weeks ago.

I'm testing this out, so bear with me.  I don't trust computers.  I still write with pencils, which, by the way, are coming harder and harder to find.

That is SO cool.

Okay, I'm going to go away for awhile.

• Love 13

Holy shit. I did not know that! Damn. Now I feel bad. I quote posts all over the fucking place and had no idea that the OP would never know. I get notifications all the time but didn't pay attention to realize that I'd been quoted a particular way!!! Damn. Now I gotta remember to do this all the time...

Thanks for the heads up!!

• Love 8

Looks like I started something.

And thanks to everyone (you know who you are) who have been so supportive when I ask my dumb questions.

It takes a village.  Or a prison.  Or Woodbury.  Or Terminus.  Or a church.  Or a short-bus.

• Love 13

And thanks to everyone (you know who you are) who have been so supportive when I ask my dumb questions.

It takes a village.  Or a prison.  Or Woodbury.  Or Terminus.  Or a church.  Or a short-bus.

To rip Tara off completely: it's what we do. ;)

(though I know you weren't addressing me...I'm useless at this stuff) :)

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 4

Or a cluster of a camp next to a quarry. 

• Love 6

You know, horrifying a concept though it is, a woman in the ZA who has no survival skills and no way to learn might be wise to use her body to her advantage in order to secure herself some protection in exchange for sexual services rendered.

Hell, even if Andrea hadn't been interested in the Governor, I wouldn't have begrudged her exchanging sex for a place in Woodbury. It's the ZA...you work with what you've got.

One uses what power one has. In WWII, many women used this bargaining tool on the German soldiers and were harshly punished by their countrymen for their collusion with the enemy after the war ended. I cannot judge and can't say that if I had children crying for food and I could get that food by trading for sex  that I wouldn't do it. Same applies in the ZA.

IMO, that goes for Andrea too. She's lucky the person in power was good looking, charming and sexy and she was genuinely attracted to him, but even had he not been those things, I still wouldn't fault her for her decisions. I've never been homeless, cold, sick and hungry but for anyone who has been, they do what they have to do.

• Love 5
I think we get a lot of that on this show - the show runners and the actors not always being on the same page about a character's background, motivation, etc.

Agreed. This was especially the case pre-Gimple, most notably for me with Andrea. I often watched an episode of TD thinking, "did they watch the same show I did?"

I would've taken this to the TPTB thread, but we don't seem to have one here.

Scott M. Gimple loves ambiguity. You may recognize such hits as "Is Judith dead?" and "Where's Beth?"—which built suspense. Or "What's in the box, Bob?"—which went nowhere. Or "Did Tyreese think he killed Martin?"—which is still a dangling thread.

I, personally, take it as a mark of respect for the audience. Real life is rarely (if ever) clearly telegraphed with lots of exposition. And Gimple trusts us, the viewers, to each process things in our own way. Hey, if he spelled everything out we'd have way less to talk about here. And I really enjoy seeing all the varied reactions and theories.

I felt like this improved under Gimple. Instead of the viewers being left out in the dark, it was more the characters being left out. I never for one minute thought Judith was dead. I didn't particularly care where Beth was, or what was in Bob's box and knowing Tyreese, I had a suspicion that Martin might still be alive. Abe's backstory and his TD reveal has been the biggest WTF this show has done in a long time. I've never seen as many conflicting and dissimilar interpretations of a scene before. It's one thing to trust the audience "gets it" or at least sort of gets it but when half you audience isn't even in the same zip code, you messed up.

Edited by Milaxx
  • Love 5

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Walking-Dead-Episode-Was-Almost-Banned-By-AMC-68311.html

According to this article - AMC almost banned this episode.  This could explain the confusion we are having over Abraham's motivation.  I wasn't sure what happened until Cudlitz explained on TTD.

Maybe a scene was deleted or edited in order for the episode to be aired?  Given that it happened so close to air - may explain why there is such a gaffe.

• Love 2

I love this board. One moment it's existential questioning and deep thoughts, and the next it's soda-out-the-nose funny. I want to Tara-fist bump you all!

I've already said this, but I'm fascinated by the character of Abraham. Some of it are left-over love of the actor from Band of Brothers and Southland, but mainly it's because Abraham, despite all his posturing and surface mirroring of Rick, is deeply, deeply broken; on a fundamental level maybe more than any other protagonist - and I believe we're supposed to view him as such - we've met. In some ways he reminds me of the way Shane and Carol was broken. The way they reacted to their brokenness are not the same, because while Shane was a "needs of the few" type of guy, Carol and Abraham

[...] is guilty of adhering too strongly to the "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" credo.  Pushy though he may be, Abraham genuinely believed he was justified in pushing his agenda because everybody would benefit in the end.

even if it was all in his head,  But there is something there, a different sort of broken compared to the rest of our characters. I've never once believed Rick, Michonne or Daryl would stray very far from 'common morality' (neck biting notwithstanding), which in some ways restricts both the way they are allowed to act, and determines the fallout from their actions. Characters like Shane, Carol and Abraham are a sort of wildcards in this equation, and it makes them fascinating, even if we can't approve or endorse their actions.

One of the other things I find interesting about him is his past as a military man. My guess is he was on seargent level, meaning he was used to execute orders with all the ingenuity of an excellent soldier, but he had to have a mission. Again with the mirroring of Rick who as a cop/detective was used to a more fluid chain of command and the freedom that comes with a system with a less strict adherence to the Rules. It'll make him a good second-in-command; if he can come back from this.

I did like Rosita in this episode, but the scene that sticks with me isn’t this final one—it’s the previous scene where she suggested they wait a day or so before continuing on. He didn’t respectfully persuade her that it was better to continue—be lashed out and pretty much called her a baby and a coward for even considering a delay. And she immediately caved and toed the party line when Maggie made the same suggestion. What got me was the creepy, smug way he said, “you heard the lady”—like his satisfaction came as much from imposing his will on Rosita as from just getting his way. It actually made me rethink the earlier scenes with his family. I’m not saying Abe was an abuser—just that the show didn’t do anything to make me think he wasn’t.

Speaking of soldiers, my brother is in the army, and I guess I've gotten used to a very particular jargon when it comes to them boys. I don't think calling sex with somebody "getting some ass" a very classy thing to say, but on the other hand it didn't really surprise me either. One could make a case for Abraham not being a good man when it comes to women vis a vis his ealier outburst to/at Rosita, but as the end showed us, when push came to show, she had no problems standing up to him and he seemed to respect that. It helps too, that I find Michael Cudlitz rather attractive (minus the hair colour!) in the teddy bear sort of way, so I have no problems with believing she is into him for more than protection. (I also thought "dolphin-smooth" was hilarious so ymmv, obvs ;))

Edited by feverfew
  • Love 2

Eugene is without a doubt the worst character ever on THE WALKING DEAD and this is a show that use to have Dale and Lizzie on it so that is saying a lot. I swear its like he wandered in off from another show. THE DUKES OF HAZZARD anybody?

Meanwhile Abraham must have been a real bastard in his previous life to have his wife willing take the kids and charge off into the middle of a zombie apoclypse just to get away from him.

Not liking that they are going back to the Season 4 Season B format where Rick, Michonne and the other dissapear for weeks at a time.

• Love 4

Not liking that they are going back to the Season 4 Season B format where Rick, Michonne and the other dissapear for weeks at a time.

With Michonne, I would be surprised if the count of words she said in this season was more than I used in this post.

• Love 3

With Michonne, I would be surprised if the count of words she said in this season was more than I used in this post.

Look at the bright side---it probably indicates that she's not on the chopping block.

Sudden character blooming? Getting pro-active? = Shadow Of Impending Doom.

Only red-shirts die without lines.

• Love 6

According to this article - AMC almost banned this episode.  This could explain the confusion we are having over Abraham's motivation.  I wasn't sure what happened until Cudlitz explained on TTD.

What I found most staggering about that article was that they used the actor's Twitter comment as a "source". They were all "here's what the actor said in this totally informal social media platform! Let's take it as gospel and run it as a story and just start guessing at what the alleged issues could have been for the censors!"

Dude could have just been trying to drum up interest in the episode. Was the censorship confirmed by TPTB?

• Love 4

What's funny is you can't seem to find anything about this anywhere except that one particular article, which as you astutely pointed out, only sources the actor's tweet.

I'm reading it much like I read some of the quotes being thrown about before the season premier when they were all going on about how they couldn't believe AMC was going to let them air what they'd shot.  Sure, there were some disturbing images in the season premier but it really wasn't that far out there when you considered the subject matter and the standard the show has already set.  It does end up seeming like a way to drum up more interest and get more cred for being "shocking" whether it really is or not.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 5

I imagine most men would be happy to get regular sexytimes without all the moral issues relating to rape. Granted, hopefully a truly decent man would just help the woman learn and adapt and not accept sex in exchange but...sliding scale, right? One could justify it as a business transaction: service for service. I'd rather be the one who made the practical choice about who had access to my vagina and why, rather than some douchebag(s) deciding that he's/they're entitled to take it because he/they want(s) it.

Other women are always horrified when I say "I am sitting on my most valuable liquid assett should there be a ZA"

• Love 5

Other women are always horrified when I say "I am sitting on my most valuable liquid assett should there be a ZA"

Sorry, but you just reminded me of an interview they did with this 115 years old woman, and they said "You look so good---you don't have any wrinkles."

and she said "I'm sittin' on 'em!"

• Love 5

That mess tacked onto the back of Eugene's head is one of the worst TV wigs I've ever seen. The thing is its own walking dead.

The worst thing about Eugene's hair is the color. I can do some suspension of disbelief on the superficial aspects (lack of hairy pits on the women, etc.), but the color on Eugene, Abraham, and Daryl's heads just looks like amateurish work by the show hairstylist.

I'd be glad to sacrifice a little visual continuity for less distracting color.

• Love 9
The worst thing about Eugene's hair is the color. I can do some suspension of disbelief on the superficial aspects (lack of hairy pits on the women, etc.), but the color on Eugene, Abraham, and Daryl's heads just looks like amateurish work by the show hairstylist.

I agree. The perfectly groomed eyebrows, shaved armpits, clean teeth, etc. never bother me. But the OBVIOUS dye jobs are so jarring, I sometimes cannot concentrate. When Abraham was talking to Rosita in the bus, at the beginning of the episode, I kept thinking of how he must have JUST have had his hair dyed, because even his scalp looked red. 

• Love 8

Sometimes I think I have acronym dyslexia because no matter how many times I read the abbreviations I always have to sound them out in my head to make sure extra syllables haven't jumped in. Yes I'm weird. HWSNBN really messed me up because my brain had to absolutely say the entire thing out loud every single time. bygones...

I probably don't need to spend too much time dwelling on whether or not I could mentally handle trading sex for protection in the ZA because I'm fairly certain I'll be dead 2 minutes in, but hey, if it's all I got, have boobs will travel. 

• Love 6

The perfectly groomed eyebrows, shaved armpits, clean teeth, etc. never bother me. But the OBVIOUS dye jobs are so jarring, I sometimes cannot concentrate. When Abraham was talking to Rosita in the bus, at the beginning of the episode, I kept thinking of how he must have JUST have had his hair dyed, because even his scalp looked red. 

A game I play while watching Z Nation is "spot The Walking Dead parallels." (The zombie baby, killing the Rick, etc.) Addy Carver has obviously bottle-red hair. One could handwave Abraham's hair color (some people's hair does grow that color), but there is just no way with Addy's. 

cast_anastasia_140796282623___CC___685x3

I agree. The perfectly groomed eyebrows, shaved armpits, clean teeth, etc. never bother me. But the OBVIOUS dye jobs are so jarring, I sometimes cannot concentrate. When Abraham was talking to Rosita in the bus, at the beginning of the episode, I kept thinking of how he must have JUST have had his hair dyed, because even his scalp looked red. 

Okay, even though I'm a guy I can't avoid wading into this topic:  Was it just me or did the style of Gareth's hair look similar to Daryl's?  (Not the color, but the way it was styled.)  Then again, in the ZA there probably aren't all that many hair salons to choose from.  And maybe that's why our group keeps walking in circles.

• Love 4

I wasn't all that bothered by Abraham's hair color until this past episode. Now, all I can think of is when my oldest daughter dumped a cup of red kool-aid on her younger sister's (very blonde) head at bedtime and didn't tell me until the next morning.

• Love 5

I liked this episode. Thought Michael Cudlitz did a stellar job.  Really loved the flashbacks.

The actress for Rosita is pretty weak. There were parts where she has chemistry with Abraham, but then there are other parts where she's so wooden.

I'm also mixed on the actor for Eugene. The problem is that the big secret of Eugene being a liar was really shocking in the comics. I would say most people did not see that happening, so it was a legitimate surprise. Eugene was portrayed as really really sly and crafty (and also a perv). So I feel like the actor (or the writing) did not a good job in doing that.
Obviously they completely failed, because virtually every casual fan that didn't see the comics all predicted that Eugene was lying. Therefore it made Abraham and Rosita by default idiots. Its kind of the Andrea/Governor problem. The Governor wasn't charming enough, so Andrea looked really stupid the longer she stayed with him.

One thing Gimple did right is to reveal it now, instead of prolonging this like 8 more episodes, because that would look really bad.

The Glenn/Abraham scene was pretty good. It helped Abraham become a lot less cartoony.

Underrated person in this episode?
Girl who played Tara. I thought she was terrible when she was first introduced, but she's improved immensely. She made Eugene more personable by her interaction with him.

Steven Yeun had kind of an uneven performance.   I liked him in his interaction with Abraham, but the part where he's shocked by Eugene's reveal was pretty laughable.  "You....know THINGS?!"

I love all these photoshopped "dolphin smooth" photos on the internet.  This episode might not be the best according to most people, but it seems to have the best memes coming out (creepy eugene).

B2Da3uFCYAExEEs.jpg

Edited by seltzer3
  • Love 6

Sure, there were some disturbing images in the season premier but it really wasn't that far out there when you considered the subject matter and the standard the show has already set.

I had to look away at the thoat-slitting, because that's one thing that gives me serious heebie-jeebies. *shiver*

And yeah, Abraham's hair on the bus? The fact that the dye seemed to actually be on his forehead was a little distracting.

• Love 4

I watched this episode again last night and noticed that when Glenn and Abraham were talking by the window in the bookstore, the "view" outside kept changing. In a couple of instances, they showed a broken down van in the middle of the street, but there were also several shots with trees. One in particular had a tree framed more or less in the center of the window! I thought maybe it was just the angle of the shots showing a different perspective, but the overall effect was odd.

And then, later in the episode...at the same window, you see a walker stagger by and there's no sign of either the van or the trees.

Continuity issue, I guess. Or the lack thereof.

Edited by Raven1707

Okay, even though I'm a guy I can't avoid wading into this topic:  Was it just me or did the style of Gareth's hair look similar to Daryl's?  (Not the color, but the way it was styled.)  Then again, in the ZA there probably aren't all that many hair salons to choose from.  And maybe that's why our group keeps walking in circles.

Hair dye is one of the few things still available to scavenge (along with pregnancy test kits) in the ZA. It cannot be a food source, but don't let it go to waste!

• Love 1

Looks like I started something.

Yeah I appreciate the opportunity to chime in with my own dumb question. Could someone tell me if it is okay to "snip" quoted posts here? I know other boards that require that you note you are only partially quoting another post. Thanks in advance for any replies :) 

• Love 2

Could someone tell me if it is okay to "snip" quoted posts here? I know other boards that require that you note you are only partially quoting another post.

The golden rule here is "don't be a jerk." I truncate posts all the time. (I did it to yours!)

In the top right of every attributed quote, there's an arrow that takes you to the original post—even if it's in a different thread.

• Love 6

The sex scene didn't bother me but then I looked up how old the actors are.  They were born in 1964 and 1990.   Ewwww.

LMAO I know the statement on its own isn't that funny but this is literally the first time I have heard ANYONE raise this objection to Abraham/Rosita at all. Which considering how many times I have seen that objection raised for Beth/Daryl is probably quadruple digits is it is downright hilarious ( I laugh cuz I learned a long time ago to laugh at fandom abusrdity because if you don't remember how truly absurd fandom can be it will make you crazy). Especially when you consider there is less of an age gap between Daryl and Beth even if you assume Daryl is actually the same age as Norman Reedus.

• Love 4

The golden rule here is "don't be a jerk." I truncate posts all the time. (I did it to yours!)

In the top right of every attributed quote, there's an arrow that takes you to the original post—even if it's in a different thread.

I copy and paste sometimes because I just don't know how to truncate a post.  And I don't know how to quote a post and get the other quoted post in without going to the original post.  Yes, I'm from that bygone era that didn't grow up with the internet and I still struggle.

Norman Reedus is looking like he's aged about 10 years since last season and I think it's due to the style and color of his hair.  He's gone from being dirty blonde in the first season to nearly black in this season.  Not a good look for him.  I can see longer hair but not hipster styled longer hair and definitely not dirty blonde to black.

Abraham is younger than Michael Cudlitz, though. You can tell, 'cause of how bright red his hair is.

I don't have a problem per se with the bright red hair.  I have a problem with seeing the bright red hair dye on his scalp.

I apologize for the multiple posts.  I go back to work tonight for a 12 hour shift and I have to stay up the night before so I can sleep during the day.

• Love 1