Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday TV Movies & (Non-Rankin Bass) Holiday Specials - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I got around to watching An En Vogue Christmas. The acting was solid. The women of En Vogue weren't bad. They didn't betray any nervousness or register as emotionally flat or have weird line delivery like novice actors can but there were just slightly off in that almost imperceptible way. It didn't hinder my enjoyment of the movie though. For once they hired a bunch of actors who could pick up the slack. I feel like Christmas movies usually go for whoever's the cheapest. The musical performances were good though sometimes I thought the vocals were a little off. When I watch a Christmas movie I expect to be emotionally manipulated and this got to me real fast. I'm a sucker for that father/daughter stuff and emotionally manipulative music and I was tearing up 10 minutes in. The plot was a little convoluted. It took them a while to really explain the relationship with the uncle and why she was away for ten years. It made sense with the reveal but I think it made the beginning of the movie weaker. There were no clear antagonists. There was uncle Marty and Mr. Powell and boyfriend Rick but none of them really served the purpose that an antagonist is supposed to and I wish they'd just used most of that time to focus on something else. Maybe something was lost in rewrites.

On another note, though, I thought A Royal Christmas was adorably cheesy and I was expecting to not like it.  Sure it was a ripoff of The Prince and Me, Christmas-style, with some Princess Diaries, thrown in for good measure, but I thought it had a goofy, sweet charm to it, as predictable as it was (who didn't see the Poppy adoption coming, I mean, really).  Lacey Chabert can be hit or miss for me, but I thought both she and the male lead were cute together.  Expectations were low and they came out ahead, can't ask for much more than that, I guess.

A Royal Christmas was cheesy, but it was fun fluff. I like Lacey Chabert from her Party of Five days though, so she did not annoy me. I did like that her character and the male lead were dating for a year before the all the prince stuff started. It was off screen, but I was fine with that. I grow tired of the instant love these movies often have going on, but yet I still watch them.

Does anyone remember The Christmas Star with Ed Asner? It's still shown on Hallmark at Christmas from time to time. Sappy and sweet and kinda cheesy (plus low budget), with a very nice message. Takes you back to the days before every t.v. Christmas movie involved a single woman who needs to get laid. If you haven't seen it, It was written and directed by the same guy who did The Crush, and in Canada it was released as La hotte magique which sounds like a stripper bar, BUT don't let any of that fool you.

I can tell you guys one to stay away from: Moonlight and Mistletoe, starring Kirk Cameron's terminally untalented sister, Roseanne Barr's drunk ex-husband, and a deranged Lifetime actress. Kirk Cameron's sister is a successful executive (let that sink in for a minute) who somehow doesn't know you have to read a contract before you sign it and also doesn't know you're entitled to a copy of what you signed. And that's the part of the plot that makes the most sense. i couldn't tell if her father was supposed to be "special" or if that's just how Roseanne Barr's ex-husband speaks when he's drunk. Anyway, it's all downhill from there, until the mind-boggling nonsensical grand resolution involving some inexplicable overnight consumer demand from "Europe" (the whole continent, I suppose). But speaking of hills it was filmed in Vermont so the tiny bits of scenery do help the medicine go down. If you can't help yourself and tune in then I recommend you put it on mute and wait for the sleigh ride scene. My husband's one sentence review: "Was it written by crazy people?"

Candace Cameron kisses a guy and the wooden toys aren't wearing clothes, so I'll be complaining to the FCC.

Private note to Kirk Cameron's sister: get a voice coach, sweetie.

• LOL 1

The good thing about a lot of these movies is that they are aired more than once throughout the season, so it's no big whoop if you miss the beginning or end.  A few I've watched and enjoyed (a few more than others) over the past few days: 

• The Christmas Shepherd (I had the same issue with why the second family couldn't just give Buddy back--he was her doggie!).
  • Angels and Ornaments--cute, somewhat IAWL-esque.
  • Meet the Clauses (dorky Steve Guttenberg HO! HO! HO!)
  • NorthPole (maybe my favorite of the recent bunch).

ETA: Oh and I enjoyed A Royal Christmas too. 

Edited by zivadanielle

The good thing about a lot of these movies is that they are aired more than once throughout the season, so it's no big whoop if you miss the beginning or end.  A few I've watched and enjoyed (a few more than others) over the past few days: 

• The Christmas Shepherd (I had the same issue with why the second family couldn't just give Buddy back--he was her doggie!).

I had the same issue as everyone else, as a dog-lover, dog-owner, and volunteer with dog rescue myself. However, once the ownership of the dog was worked out, I really enjoyed this movie. The dog's great acting was a bonus! :-)

This Grumpy Cat movie is dumb and not even slightly as close to clever as they think it is. Also not very Christmas-y.

I just feel badly for the poor cat. She looks scared most of the time.

Why the Ohio plates when they are clearly in Vancouver?

• Love 2

I feel badly for the cat because the owners named her Tard, then covered their asses by saying that it was short for Tardar Sauce. The cat looks drugged every time I see her. It's really sad.

Edited by Mindy McIndy
  • Love 3

I will say I preferred Grumpy Cat to yet another business lady eschews family for big time career until she comes back to small (home)town to learn the real meaning of life (a MAN)  Candace Cameron Xmas movie.

Also I hate the Cameron family and think they are the absolute worst, but Grumpy Cat was still really dumb and tried too hard.

Edited by Megan
  • Love 4

I must confess, I didn't hate Grumpy Cat as much as I thought I would. The main story wasn't that great, but I enjoyed the cat. It doesn't take itself seriously, even announcing (via the cat) it's going to be a bad movie! Grumpy is loaded with snark and she would be quite at home posting on these and the old TWoP forums! (spare the snark...)

I enjoyed The 9 Lives of Christmas, but didn't care for A Cookie Cutter Christmas.  While I like the one lead in the movie (the girl from When Calls the Heart), I couldn't stand the rivalry between the two female characters.

I agree about Cookie Cutter. That rivalry was inane and demeaning! Wow. Would you really want either of these women teaching your children? Erin Krakow was the only reason i stuck with it and I probably should have bailed early on. I'll just be glad when When Calls the Heart returns (I believe they began filming about 2 weeks ago).

Another movie I only watched for a surprise romantic lead was Crazy for Christmas. I was going to bail on that one, too, but Yannick Bisson (Murdoch from Murdoch Mysteries AKA The Artful Detective) showed up as a pesky reporter/potential suitor. Well, it was ok, better than most, but I should have just watched reruns of Murdoch!

• Love 1

I love most of the cheesetastic Christmas movies that come out every year, however, I would love to see more of them fronted by POC's and maybe a little bit of gay or lesbian romance.

The former at least happens occasionally (if sometimes in bizarre places--see also Nickelodeon's Santa Hunters), but the latter is oddly verboten even in non-holiday TVMs.  I'm still waiting for the guys behind the Online anthology--The Boy She Met Online, et al.--to get around to a same-sex variant to complete the set.

Anyway.  Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever...Megan pegged its one sin of trying too hard, and it certainly was...but the fact that it was so endlessly meta that it lampshaded even that to some degree compensated mightily for it.  Let alone the couple of moments where it got more than a little dark with its humor ("Did those men hurt you?" "That's a different kind of Lifetime movie").  Between it and seemingly next week's Wishin' and Hopin', I'm kind of amazed Lifetime went so...gonzo?...with their holiday films this year.

I'm so glad this thread is here.  I love this time of year.  Actually, I watch all Hallmark movies, for better or worse.

I know that the Hallmark Channel likes to promote that they show 12 new movies every Christmas, but perhaps it is time for them to cut down on the quantity and concentrate a bit more on the quality. 

If people will watch their quantity, they have no reason to aim for quality.  That said, I like their quantity approach.  I think the more they make, the better chance they will have of stumbling on quality.

I actually really liked "Nine Lives of Christmas."
"One Starry Christmas" was absolutely horrible.

Agree with both of these.  And it's because I check out everything that I saw "Nine Lives" since I'm not a cat person. It really surprised me and I think it's my favorite so far this holiday season.  One Starry Christmas was boring and even worse, I can't delete it from my DVR for some reason.  I keep hitting the button and it doesn't go away. 

I enjoyed the Signed, Sealed, Delivered Christmas movie.  Sometimes holiday specials of regular series seem to just be plopped down without moving the series along at all.

I enjoyed it as well.  I like the characters and I like the actors.  The original Signed, Sealed, Delivered movie was probably one of the better Hallmark movies they've made with its ability to create an interesting story, genuine heart and genuine angst.  The series was a bit iffier for me but I hear it's going back to a movie series rather than an episodic series.  I think I'll be okay with that.

I will say I preferred Grumpy Cat to yet another business lady eschews family for big time career until she comes back to small (home)town to learn the real meaning of life (a MAN)  Candace Cameron Xmas movie.

I thought Christmas Under Wraps was on the boring side but I would have had a big problem with her leaving the small town, who hadn't had a doctor in a year,  after she agreed to do her fellowship there.  That would not have been a good look. But my biggest problem was the stealth "Santa Claus" they inserted into the story.  I'm not a fan of Santa Claus in movies unless I know upfront that's what I'm watching.

I love most of the cheesetastic Christmas movies that come out every year, however, I would love to see more of them fronted by POC's and maybe a little bit of gay or lesbian romance.

Hallmark is pretty much white bread but UP does a decent number of Christmas movies.  I think Lifetime has had at least one POC star in their movies and I'm less familiar with ION.  Part of the issue is that UP and Hallmark have more a more Christian angle.  UP is a bit more forward with it but quite a few of the books Hallmark has adapted are from Christian fiction writers. So we can cross them out...for now. But even with Lifetime and (ION) they probably have the same mindset that gay and lesbian romances are 'niche' romances for channels geared towards those viewers specifically.  Even on network TV, they're rarely the main romance but a story for supporting characters.

Edited by Irlandesa

Now that Thanksgiving's over, I'm letting myself dive into the holiday movies. Instead of watching Grumpy Cat last night, I caught UP's lineup, which they were calling "premieres" but which were British movies from 2-5 years ago. The first one, Nativity! starred Martin Freeman, pre-Sherlock and The Hobbit but post-The Office and Love Actually, as a teacher who gets assigned to direct the school's Nativity play. Things spiral out of control when he runs into a former school frenemy who's directing a rival school's play and the only thing he can come up with to save face is to suggest that his ex-girlfriend who went off to Hollywood is coming back to see the play, and who knows where that could lead? His idiot assistant starts spreading that story, which makes everyone excited about their impending stardom, and of course everything falls apart before it all comes together in the end.

Then there's a sequel that got truly bizarre, starting David Tennant (post-Doctor Who, which makes his participation in this utterly baffling) as the new teacher at the same school, who gets caught up in the madness when the same idiot assistant (apparently someone liked this character?) enters their school in a big Christmas song contest and kidnaps the teacher to go to the contest as the official school presence when he isn't on board with it. The journey to Wales, where the contest is taking place, goes horribly wrong in insane ways, though I must admit that the visual of all these kids dressed in Christmas pageant costumes hiking cross-country was rather amusing. Then the teacher's evil twin (also played by David Tennant), a renowned choral director, is also competing. This was "made for the Disney Channel" levels of filmmaking, where it's basically a live-action cartoon loaded with slapstick, but the kids were cute (and very real-seeming rather than the Disney child star-bots), and Tennant got to use his real accent for a change.

But hey, Santa wasn't there to play matchmaker, no one's worth as a human being was judged on the basis of whether every surface of their home was covered in Christmas decor or whether they had a "real" tree instead of an artificial one, and we didn't learn that having a career in a big city makes you a terrible person, so I guess we sort of come out ahead.

Gah! I hated Christmas Under Wraps! I have a high tolerance for cheesy Christmas movies but I thought the writing was terrible, the acting sub par, the premise ridiculous, and yes, Candaces hair! I hung in there but it was a hard pill to swallow at times.

On Demand had A Very Brady Christmas so I watched that today. It's the Brady's so I can't help but love it however I'm always amazed at how misogonistic Peter Brady comes across. What a friggin prick. All the kids really act like idiots in the movie however Peter is by far the worst!

• Love 1

.  Let alone the couple of moments where it got more than a little dark with its humor ("Did those men hurt you?" "That's a different kind of Lifetime movie"). 

That got the one legit laugh out of me.

I thought Christmas Under Wraps was on the boring side but I would have had a big problem with her leaving the small town, who hadn't had a doctor in a year,  after she agreed to do her fellowship there.  

Isn't that the premise of Hart of Dixie?

The funny thing is, I haven't watched Christmas Under Wraps. All Lifetime and Hallmark movies are the same with the woman going to (or back to) small town. She's too self-involved and into her career! There is always  some scene where the guy catches her buying a bunch of ice cream to eat all alone. She needs to find love and give up her job and have bland babies with some bland guy.

While I typically don't expect great drama from your run of the mill holiday movie, I do expect more from Hallmark Hall of Fame Movies.  I felt that One Christmas Eve fell flat.  It was decent, but not up to the Hall of Fame standard I've come to expect.  There were cute moments, but a little too much stupidity and slapstickness for my liking.

• Love 1

On Demand had A Very Brady Christmas so I watched that today. It's the Brady's so I can't help but love it however I'm always amazed at how misogonistic Peter Brady comes across. What a friggin prick. All the kids really act like idiots in the movie however Peter is by far the worst!

Ha! We watched that, too, and reveled in the sheer 80s awfulness of their clothes and home decor. Didn't notice Peter's misogyny, I admit, because we were too busy laughing our asses off at

Bobby The Rockin' Race Car Driver and Greg The Creepy Birthin' Doctor.

Eve Plumb's acting stood out as particularly bad. But yeah, it's cheesy nostalgic fun and Florence Henderson can sing the hell out of a Christmas carol.

There must be some real interesting discussions around the Cameron Family festivus table, what with Kirk refusing to kiss anyone but his wife, and Candace kissing everything she can get her Christmas lips on. Or does she use stand-ins, too?

Candace's kisses are pretty short and more like pecks. Must be in her contract that they can't last longer than a second and no tongue.

My DVR was exhausted from picking up all the movies this weekend. How have I just heard of the network UP? And some cute ones on Ion network. I'm sure some are horrible but will give it half an hour before deleting.

My favorite is A Diva's Christmas Carol.  Vanessa Williams is so beautiful.  Kathy Griffin is very funny and I think the whole thing is clever.  The Ghost of Christmas Future is an episode VH1 Behind the Music.  Brilliant!  The music is good too. 

• Love 2

I just saw Help for the Holidays on Hallmark and I have to say I loved it.  I like the premise of the fantasy of someone coming to give people Christmas spirit.  Actually the acting was pretty good and the kids cute.  Not to mention that their Uncle was good looking :)

I won't even lie: I totally watched Help for the Holidays just for Eva LaRue and Summer Glau (girlfriend made a borderline statuesque elf).  It was a relatively gentle film, though it probably could have been a smidgen more graceful with its message of family over work.  OTOH, its Santa had one of the most distractingly sinister-sounding laughs I've ever heard...

• Love 1

While I typically don't expect great drama from your run of the mill holiday movie, I do expect more from Hallmark Hall of Fame Movies.  I felt that One Christmas Eve fell flat.  It was decent, but not up to the Hall of Fame standard I've come to expect.  There were cute moments, but a little too much stupidity and slapstickness for my liking.

Agreed!  Most of the cute moments involved the puppy, too, which is sort of like shooting fish in a barrel.  I felt like they stretched the premise of "not the ideal holiday" wwwwaaaayyyyyyyy too thin.  To the point where, although I knew this was a Hallmark movie and no way it would happen, I started hoping for a disaster that would take out everyone but the puppy.

I just watched A Christmas Pageant which I TiVoed last night.  I have to say that I was so distracted by Melissa Gilbert's face.  She's starting to resemble Joan Rivers.  She was such a sweet looking child and now she doesn't even look like herself.

Anyway the story was pretty cute...had the usual elements, cute kid, Christmas wishes, widower, small town, etc. It was a pretty enjoyable story.  I'm loving these movies.  I have a bunch in my TiVo box and more for tonight!!

A Diva's Christmas Carol is one of the good ones, definitely.  I wish I could get Vanessa Williams's version of "Sleigh Ride," too, but it's not on any of her Christmas albums.

And I'm behind the rest of you, but I finally saw Nine Lives of Christmas and I really liked it!  Likeable leads; cats; an asortment of school friends, work friends, and family rather than one multi-purpose supporting friend; a minimum of stupid manufactured drama; cats; a great multi-generational rapport amongst the male characters; no suggestion that the female lead's career ambitions were less important than a man; and cats.  My only complaint was the cartoonishly selfish girlfriend.

I wish Kirk Cameron would go away.  Stop giving Christians a bad name!

I wish Kirk Cameron would go away.  Stop giving Christians a bad name!

I don't disagree at all there, but isn't he pretty much gone as it is? It seems since he went in the direction of religious zealot, more or less, his career - at least in the mainstream - died a quick death. (I did read he does religious films or something.)

I, of course, don't know any of the Cameron family, but I'm guessing Candace Cameron-Bure is less...fanatical...for lack of a better word, so she can, at least, still do the requisite holiday and/or Lifetime flicks.

• Love 1

And yay! A Charlie Brown Christmas is on (but probably the edited version; ABC shows it twice; edited [paired with another special as it was tonight] and unedited with the Christmas shorts after it!).

I have the Blu-Ray, but I always watch it, anyway.

And I found a cut still online from the '60s (originally when Snoopy swung Charlie Brown and Linus on the ice, we saw Linus [per the photo] landing on a Coca-Cola sponsor sign as Charlie Brown hits the tree)!

Wow, ABC edited the hell out of this one.  Lucy flirting with Schroeder was missing, as well as Sally's infamous "All I want is my fair share" line.  Not cool, ABC.

Yeah, like I said, for some reason, ABC shows both the cut to ribbons version AND the unedited version with the Christmas shorts filling the rest of the hour. According to TV Guide online, the unedited version [with all scenes included that weren't tonight!] with the additional Peanuts shorts will air on Tuesday, December 16th.

• Love 2

I watched The Christmas Shepherd (Hallmark) and The Tree that Saved Christmas (Up) over the weekend.  Both had good stories, although I was disappointed in who Lacey Chabert's character ended up with in the end of her movie.  

I'm looking forward to the Mr. Miracle movie next weekend.  I've always enjoyed the other Debbie Macomber holiday movies, so I'm hoping this one will be just as good.

And I'm behind the rest of you, but I finally saw Nine Lives of Christmas and I really liked it!  Likeable leads; cats; an asortment of school friends, work friends, and family rather than one multi-purpose supporting friend; a minimum of stupid manufactured drama; cats; a great multi-generational rapport amongst the male characters; no suggestion that the female lead's career ambitions were less important than a man; and cats.  My only complaint was the cartoonishly selfish girlfriend.

I'm late to the party too but I tend to read the posts first to see what I would like to watch.  I already have Royal Christmas scheduled to be TiVoed along with Mr. Miracle.  I LOVED Mrs. Miracle.

I am not a fan of cats but I did like this one.  It had a pretty good storyline and I liked the actors.  I remember Gregory Harrison when he was young.  He's aged well.

I didn't look at this one as a Christmas movie per se..more like a love story that happens around Christmas

• Love 1
I, of course, don't know any of the Cameron family, but I'm guessing Candace Cameron-Bure is less...fanatical...for lack of a better word, so she can, at least, still do the requisite holiday and/or Lifetime flicks.

They added a whole religious storyline to Make It Or Break It when she was on, I assume at her request because it didn't really fit the rest of the show.  That was annoying.  But maybe she's better in Christmas movies because Christmas is religious in nature.

I did like the movie she did last year, when she was a city person who came to love the mountain Christmas (or something), so I'll look out for her new one when it's rerun.  I can never get into the Christmas movies before Thanksgiving, but after that I soak them up like crazy.

Wow, ABC edited the hell out of this one.  Lucy flirting with Schroeder was missing, as well as Sally's infamous "All I want is my fair share" line.  Not cool, ABC.

I tuned in a little late and thought maybe I missed Sally's infamous "All I want is my fair share" line, but I knew that Lucy trying to get Schroeder to play Jingle Bells had been cut.  I hate when they do that - just show me the full version, damn it.  Stop trying to ruin my precious childhood memories!

Yeah, like I said, for some reason, ABC shows both the cut to ribbons version AND the unedited version with the Christmas shorts filling the rest of the hour. According to TV Guide online, the unedited version [with all scenes included that weren't tonight!] with the additional Peanuts shorts will air on Tuesday, December 16th.

Thanks for the info.  I will mark my calendar for the uncut version.

• Love 2

I had no idea they would cut it that much!  That sucks.  But thanks for the update, I'll tune in on the 16th for the good version.

• Love 1

KaveDweller, that movie is called "Let it Snow" and it was one of the better movies last year. I also liked that it wasn't as much about romance as it was her relationship with her father. Plus, the lead actor is adorable. That is always a must- the leads have to not be so annoying.

Speaking of annoying, couldn't sit through "Naughty and Nice" with Haylie Duff. She was ok but the lead actor was annoying and the story just as bad.

Also Looking forward to Mr Miracle since the last two Mrs Miracle movies were really good.

I love when Sally asks for "tens and twenties", they also cut out the part where they were catching snowflakes on their tongues ("Needs sugar"). I think I yelled about an edit every commercial break.

I liked the "Toy Story" special before it, but that' might be because the main focus was on Trixie who's voiced by Kristen Schaal ( I love Mabel Pines).

I did enjoy the Toy Story special.  I loved Angel Kitty!  Her quotes were great but my favorite part was when she started playing her horn as they were being herded to the pit. 

I guffawed heartily at the post-coital vibe between Reptilius Maximus and Trixie after they get played with by Bonnie (Tribe Bon-nie! Bahahaa) and Mason.   

The toy story special was cute, but it'll never be a classic.

When Charlie brown Xmas aired on CBS..the closing hark the herald angel song.was cut.

As I was growing up watching A Charlie Brown Christmas, it was still on CBS (with, at the time, numerous Dolly Madison product commercials, those and McDonald's!), yet I always saw that ending with all the gang singing! Maybe the cutoff was a regional thing?

I do know the scene where snowballs are thrown at the can on the fence was cut for many years; it was only added back in in the mid '90s, so when I first saw it then, it was a new one to me.

• Love 3

I really enjoyed the Toy Story Christmas Special. Angel Kitty is precious and I loved that all the voices were back!  While Grumpy Cats Worst Christmas Movie Ever wasn't oscar worthy it still wasn't horrible dreck. I laughed and I loved Aubrey Plaza doing the voice of Grumpy Cat. I totally forgot about Divas Christmas Carol until someone up above mentioned it. I love that movie so much. 

So, last night we watched "A Nanny For Christmas" on Lifetime and for the first time in this season's round of Christmas-movie-viewing I wish I had those two hours of my life back!  It was really painful.  Ugh.  Dean Cain was first in the credits, but was barely in the movie LOL.   Everything about it was teh suck. 

I had to console myself by staying up until midnight watching "Let It Snow" even though I just watched it like three days ago. DON'T. JUDGE.

(I did read he does religious films or something.)

Maybe it's because I'm Catholic I'm more aware of his awful, cheesy, theologically-wrong religious films, and so he has a greater presence in my mind.  I agree his sister seems more low-key about her faith.

Shoot, I missed the Toy Story special; I wanted to show it to my kids.  Will they be airing it again?

We have the DVD of the Peanuts Christmas special, but I'll keep an eye out for the one on the 16th, since I don't think we have the shorts.

And finally, Mr. Miracle is on my to-be-DVR'd list too, since I like Rob Morrow and I have a weakness to the Mrs. Miracle movies.  I've even considered getting the novels from the library, to see what more there is to the stories.

Maybe it's because I'm Catholic I'm more aware of his awful, cheesy, theologically-wrong religious films, and so he has a greater presence in my mind.  I agree his sister seems more low-key about her faith.

My condolences about the exposure to Kirk Cameron's films!

For the record, I'm also Catholic (albeit not a very good one!), but I've managed to stay blissfully unaware of Mr. Cameron's offerings and, reading your post, now I'm extra glad about that, so thank you, @beadgirl !  :-)

• Love 1

I had to console myself by staying up until midnight watching "Let It Snow" even though I just watched it like three days ago. DON'T. JUDGE.

No judging. Stayed up until midnight watching "Recipe for a Perfect Christmas" which I watch multiple times every year, and I really needed the sleep! Damn movies.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2