Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

And......scene! I know some of you are going to love the episode, I am not sentimental. It was loaded with expected schmaltz and I feel the writers phoned it in. They went everywhere one would expect from people just earning a paycheck there was no Emmy winning writing here. On to the next victim...Ben?

• Love 1

I LOVE the flashbacks.  Give me any clip of the Horton Christmas ornament scene, any year, and I will bawl like a baby.  But it just seems like the entire "reunion" and "anniversary" theme has been nothing but death after death after death.  I hate the idea of bringing well-loved characters back on screen just to have them die or leave again abruptly.  And Abigail will live forever.

• Love 7

I'm tired of Show repeatedly telling me that Ciara has grown up.  Uh, we see that.

Damn, Show, that's how you do a 50th anniversary.

I do hope, however, that Kristian doesn't have to cry for an entire week like she did when Zack died.

• Love 3

This was great soap today. The flashbacks were really moving,tho some of the wistfulness I was feeling was also about how young I was at the time : )

I think Peter and Kristian had award winning performances. Bo's deterioration and Hope's sadness were beautifully choreographed. I dread Monday when Ciara and Caroline find out and god, yes, please don't make me cry every day when I'm trying to get ready for Thanksgiving. This was a West Side Story-esque cry I had going on today. 

Kayla and Steve will live in my heart forever. The way she kind of surrendered to her feelings at the end, at least for those minutes, was golden. 

Oy, I'm spent. I bet today's ep will stick with me for a little bit over the weekend. 

• Love 14

This was great soap today. The flashbacks were really moving,tho some of the wistfulness I was feeling was also about how young I was at the time : )

I think Peter and Kristian had award winning performances. Bo's deterioration and Hope's sadness were beautifully choreographed. I dread Monday when Ciara and Caroline find out and god, yes, please don't make me cry every day when I'm trying to get ready for Thanksgiving. This was a West Side Story-esque cry I had going on today. 

Kayla and Steve will live in my heart forever. The way she kind of surrendered to her feelings at the end, at least for those minutes, was golden. 

Oy, I'm spent. I bet today's ep will stick with me for a little bit over the weekend. 

I am so happy that in the flashbacks that we saw today, Zack was featured....He was such an important person in Bope's life..R.I.P Bo! you will be missed..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4

Day off so trying to catch up on week's worth of shows.  Watched Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday shows.  It's getting good.  My rambling thoughts

Bo Brady has the most beautiful inviting smile.  Can't he get a brain transplant? Pretty please?

Steve is fun and adds a lot to the show.  John comes alive around him (he seemed bored before).  Kayla totally is going to fall for his sweetness tactics but true fully so would I :)  

Okay I have always adorded Sami Brady.  Wow was she fun with Andre and what a strong lady.  She does and always has reminded me of Marlena (yes I know but there are similarities).   Speaking of Marlena what fun was that?  She has no fear and went and ratted out Andre to Stefano!

I worry for Eric every day  :(

• Love 5

Kristian Alfonso and Peter Reckell are making asses out of Tony Geary and Genie Francis. Those two assholes never could mature and give their fans a respectable closure to their iconic supercouple.

Don't blame Genie for that hot mess...blame Tony Geary who sh*t all over fans with his "get over it" comment about their wedding/romance years later when fans would bring it up. If it wasn't for her he would have been a day player or an under five. It was her chem with him that gave him his fame. Never understood why the writers  always kowtowed to him. I was never so glad to see an actor leave as I was TG. I hope he stays gone.

After that little rant, I have to say that Bo & Hope had an ending for the ages. Hated to see Bo die but it was well done & it certainly brought tears to my eyes and sobs to my heart. Those two rocked these past few days...heartwrenching.

Edited by RedRockRosie
  • Love 15

Wow.  I knew this was coming, but did not expect it so soon.  I was thinking they would give us a few weeks, maybe Bo would make it through Christmas anyway.  He literally came back to town to die.  It happened the next day (according to the show).  That being said, the acting, the scenes and PR/KA  and SN/MBE were phenomenal today.  Just wow.

The fallout is going to be so sad, I don't know if I can watch it all through.  Everyone just welcomed him back, most didn't know he was sick, so they won't be expecting this.  Hell, I wasn't expecting this.  I hate that they have made Bo's fate so final...and so quick.  If he was going to be gone so fast, why didn't they put Aidan on hold for a time and then bring him back.  Is Hope going to end up with Rafe now?...ugh...

I don't understand why it had to be told as if it happened in 24 hours, Days time.  In a way, that made the time frame and finality of it all seem worse. These scenes could have easily played out as if several days (or a couple weeks) as it actually was.  

To think that in 24 hours:  Hope married one man, had sex with him, nearly got killed by him, had her presumed MIA ex-husband re-appear and save her from the brink of death and kill Aidan, be hospitalized overnight, suffer a mini-breakdown, fall in love with her ex again, have sex with him, go to his surprise party, find out he's dying, plant a tree, declare her love, and have him die in her arms!?!   ...Poor Hope, she is having the shittiest week ever and it's only been a couple days!  

I honestly don't know how she is going to recover from all of this.  The Aidan stuff was bad enough, but I think Bo's return was helping her through, to have him be gone so suddenly is just cruel.  I don't think I could handle two heartbreaks and two deaths in two days like she has had to go through!

That being said, it was awesome having Peter Reckell back and I wish it could have lasted.  I am so sad that Bo is gone.  He was a great character with so much history with this show.  I really wish it didn't have to end.  Rest in peace, Bo Brady, you will truly be missed.

Edited by LadyJaney
  • Love 12

Don't blame Genie for that hot mess...blame Tony Geary who sh*t all over fans with his "get over it" comment about their wedding/romance years later when fans would bring it up. If it wasn't for her he would have been a day player or an under five. It was her chem with him that gave him his fame. Never understood why the writers always kowtowed to him. I was never so glad to see an actor leave as I was TG. I hope he stays gone.

You just semi answered your own question. Tony got 8 emmys and still has a fanbase that's why. Reason I said Genie because it has been said she can be difficult too on set but she's not as bad as Tony. But a least she made a final push to work with Tony one last time. Nevertheless look who matured, grew up and remained professional once they reunited in the mid-90s, Peter and Kristian. Tony and Genie still acted liked those characters from Soapdish played Sally Field and Kevin Kline up until the end. Sucks for their fanbase.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 2

Even this Bo final exit was lacking - they should have spent a lot less time on showing him in captivity, and a lot more time with his family. Unfortunately, PR's 2 month stint started with the first shot they showed of him on the floor of the cell. It almost felt like they were stringing things along in the hope that he would stay on, then had to rush to tie everything up when they realized he wasn't.  At the very least, they could have had him remarry Hope, since they should never have been divorced. RIP Bo.

• Love 11

I've been sitting here for 3 hours watching old Days clips reliving some classic Bo memories and lord, the waterworks have started all over again.  I feel like an old friend died today.  The only thing that would have made todays episode even more gut-wrenching was if the montage at the end was set to "Tonight I Celebrate My Love" :( For those who weren't watching back in the early 80's, just leaving this here. This is the full segment of Bo rescuing Hope from marrying Larry Welch back in 1984. Bo on his motorcycle with Holding Out For a Here playing..this will always, always be my fondest, most iconic Bo memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gY4ZZuNWzM

• Love 7

Just got done...

That was a heartbreaker for real. I cried. Granted, I don't know what happens from here, but that seemed so final.

So long, Bo Brady. I'll miss knowing you're out there.

The actors and flashbacks were wonderful today. Peter and Kristian were hands down the most gorgeous daytime couple in their prime.

• Love 10

The actors and flashbacks were wonderful today. Peter and Kristian were hands down the most gorgeous daytime couple in their prime.

I know right. They looked ethnic looking and beautiful but still had that girl and boy next door vibe. They dont make couples like this anymore in daytime.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 9

I didn't know Bo was dying today!  Jesus, I was ugly crying the whole episode. 

While PR/MBE/SN gave wonderful performances, if Kristian doesn't fucking get an Emmy nom in 2016, I'm gonna be so pissed.  Monday is going to be rough with everyone finding out....all I know is Kimberly had better be on her way back to Salem!

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 8

I didn't know Bo was dying today! Jesus, I was ugly crying the whole episode.

While PR/MBE/SN gave wonderful performances, if Kristian doesn't fucking get an Emmy nom for this, I'm gonna be so pissed. Man, Monday is going to be rough with everyone finding out....and Kimberly better be on her way back to Salem for this!

Who you telling! Kristian got fucking robbed for the Zack stuff. I hate the politics of the Emmys in daytime. Had she been nominated for that Zack death and aftermath she would had won IMO.

• Love 3

That was poignant, and beautiful. I am not a long-time viewer.  I remember some of the early Bope stuff cause my sister was a viewer, and then I checked in around the time they were "killing" off the entire cast of veterans, cause I am easy like that.  I have become a semi-regular viewer in the last several years, so I saw the Zack storyline, and Bo taking Caroline to California.  It never made sense to me character-wise, why Bo and Hope were not together, and I recognize it was PR's choice.  But it seemed forced for Hope to be in this situation, and then logical for her to write him off at some point.  So while these scenes were poignant, even as a short time viewer, it seems kind of unfair to the character of Hope.

Having said that, I have been watching Hope and Aiden since day one, and I thought they were awesome. This Bo return and death kind of negates all of Haiden, so I guess she doesn't need to grieve what she thought she had there, or be traumatized about almost being killed now by a man she loved.  She will move into grieving Bo and supporting Ciara on her loss, and Chase on his loss, and everything about Aiden will be mist.  Until of course they realize he was not the necktie killer.  Maybe then she will re-grow her brain and start investigating why he tried to kill her.

Comparisons to Luke and Laura denouement?  Luke was an asshole for a long time and especially in the last years before he left, as a murderer etc.  He was vile.  I was happy Laura (who I love, GF is fabulous even this week!) was not sucked into that ugliness.  They didn't deserve the sweet exit that Bo and Hope had.

I feel more sad for Ciara.  She just gets her dad back and he's dead.  And her mom is devastated.  Hope that good Brady clan will put their collective arms around her.

I still hate the timing.  I think Will died just the other day, and then in the last 24 hours we had all of that which we have already covered here.  Kind of stupid, but melodrama in an old-fashioned way (think 1950s movies).

• Love 13

Having said that, I have been watching Hope and Aiden since day one, and I thought they were awesome. This Bo return and death kind of negates all of Haiden, so I guess she doesn't need to grieve what she thought she had there, or be traumatized about almost being killed now by a man she loved. She will move into grieving Bo and supporting Ciara on her loss, and Chase on his loss, and everything about Aiden will be mist. Until of course they realize he was not the necktie killer. Maybe then she will re-grow her brain and start investigating why he tried to kill her.

Agreed. I need Hope to get her woman's sense back in the coming months and figure out why Bo was tortured to death and why Aiden was a copycat killer.

But I'm one of the few Bope fans who didn't hate Aiden/Hope together. If I were a writer or producer I would had written something more organic for Bope/Haiden. I still would had let Hope marry Aiden but let Bo return and see that shes moved on but then tell her he was ill. Then that would had put Hope in a position of the man she's loved for a few years and the man she's loved for 30 years and played all the beats, that been better classic soap opera IMO instead of completely turning Aiden into a total psycho, that came off as out of character.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 9

Wait! Is Bo dead-dead? I mean I know he was going to die but not a day later. So, we wasted a whole two weeks of Bo & Steve in Hooterville when he could have been back in Salem with Hope?! Kristian Alfonso was simply stunning when she married Bo in 1985. The headpiece, her eyes, white teeth and makeup was probably the most beautiful she ever looked. I remembering taping it and watching it several times because she was so stunning. Great flashbacks of their history. She really had her think Boston accent then. It's amazing the chemistry that she & Reckell had from the get go.

• Love 8

I was an avid Days viewer in the late 80's/early 90's. I had heard things about how it was good right now, partly due to the 50th anniversary stuff. I recorded today totally on a whim. Loved it. Even cried. Bo and Hope were such a thing for me back in the day. Loved all the flashbacks, loved the chemistry, loved how the episode was all about them.

I do have to say - Hope's makeup for their wedding? Wow! Was there a portion of her face not covered in blush or eye shadow??

• Love 6

I loved all the flashbacks, but I do wish they had showed Bo on his motorcycle at the end of that long plantation driveway. And maybe them lounging around in the 1880s outfits afterwards. And if "Tonight I Celebrate My Love" had been played at least once, or maybe just softly in the background throughout? Good job though.

Kristian has always been lovely, but I think she is one of those women who grows more beautiful with age. She is so stunning now. Don't start messing with your face Kristian!! And Peter Reckell is one of those guys whose looks benefit immensely from facial hair, and the more the better. I liked the more beard he had this time around before Patch told him to clean himself up. And today it looked like he had even LESS beard, and also less hair on his head. Maybe in addition to killing him the tumor is sapping his hair follicles.

Farewell Bo, RIP, until the storyline requires you to come back from the dead. I had no idea that I will actually miss you.

• Love 4

I was so mad when I started watching today's show. I kept thinking these bastards are gonna kill Bo on Thanksgiving. I'll have to watch him lying in a hospital bed all week with his family crying and saying goodbye. I can't believe he just died! Dang what a kick in the gut. And those flashbacks really got me all weepy. I remember I stayed home from school "sick" so I could watch their wedding. I've always thought they were the first real super couple. Gnarly ass Luke Spencer ain't got nothing on Bo Brady!

• Love 10

I do have to say - Hope's makeup for their wedding? Wow! Was there a portion of her face not covered in blush or eye shadow??

Remember this was 1985, back then make-up was bold and excessive.Funny thing is she was so stunning back then she didn't need it but she sure looked gorgeous. Looking at the wedding again even today I'm still in love with that dress.  IIRC the dress cost something like $40,000 and was custom made for KA. That was the kind of budget DAYS had then.

• Love 6

Remember this was 1985, back then make-up was bold and excessive.Funny thing is she was so stunning back then she didn't need it but she sure looked gorgeous. Looking at the wedding again even today I'm still in love with that dress. IIRC the dress cost something like $40,000 and was custom made for KA. That was the kind of budget DAYS had then.

She even rewore that dress when she got married to her first husband in real life.

• Love 4

I've been sitting here for 3 hours watching old Days clips reliving some classic Bo memories and lord, the waterworks have started all over again.  I feel like an old friend died today.  The only thing that would have made todays episode even more gut-wrenching was if the montage at the end was set to "Tonight I Celebrate My Love" :( For those who weren't watching back in the early 80's, just leaving this here. This is the full segment of Bo rescuing Hope from marrying Larry Welch back in 1984. Bo on his motorcycle with Holding Out For a Here playing..this will always, always be my fondest, most iconic Bo memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gY4ZZuNWzM

Hey, thanks for this clip! I forgot that Hope was unwilling. In my memory, this scene was more like the Graduate. It's very funny to see Hope be a damsel, when current Hope is pretty badass when she gets her cop on. Oh nostalgia, you get me every time. 

• Love 1

Time is skipping around a lot. Abby has been in labor since the bicentennial night (November 5 or 6) and that day and following one dragged. Now I assume Thanksgiving will be observed so ...?

Also Sami is a bad mom she's ignored her kids this entire time weird Salem calendars be damned.

• Love 1

It's very funny to see Hope be a damsel, when current Hope is pretty badass when she gets her cop on. Oh nostalgia, you get me every time.

Oh yeah Hope was a spoiled rich kid but she was glamorous, thats when soaps had the haves and have not formula down to a science. Her look didn't really change until mid 1990s.

• Love 3

Only in soaps can you watch someone grow and age and become themselves. Well, that was too grand a statement, but it's really hitting me how very long these actors have been together, how much the world and we have changed since then. Who says soaps are fluffy?

• Love 8

The Bo and Hope scenes were so gorgeously emotional and KA and PR prove (along with MBE, SN, PP and CS along with others) that back in the day, the show could actually hire good-looking people who couldn't actually act.  I think it's a happy accident if they hire pretty people who can act, i.e JL.

• Love 4

Time is skipping around a lot. Abby has been in labor since the bicentennial night (November 5 or 6) and that day and following one dragged. Now I assume Thanksgiving will be observed so ...?

Also Sami is a bad mom she's ignored her kids this entire time weird Salem calendars be damned.

So the real world calendar applies to Sami but no one else on the show? 

Nothing on this show has been rooted in the real world for this 50th anniversary!  It's why the soap genre is rarely taken seriously for their writing. To be a viewer, an enormous amount of suspension of disbelief is needed. In just the last dozen or so episodes...

-Bo has survived torture, drugging, and a plane crash. Drove many miles on a motorcycle, fought off and killed Hope's attacker, and had sex with his wife all in the last 24 hours of his life. Aside from some fainting spells, he was still walking, talking, able to sport an erection, and fully cognitive with vibrant memories just moments up to his death via a brain tumor that was supposedly so advanced that it was in operable, not likely to respond to treatment, and killed him just hours after learning of. 

-Abigail had a gynecological exam on a chair with her pants on last week. 

-Most of Salem's current teen population were still learning their times tables on Columbus Day but they'll be studying Trig on Thanksgiving. 5th-9th grade disappears much like November 11th through the 25th. 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 6

I think it's a happy accident if they hire pretty people who can act, i.e JL.

A producer said once "Hire them pretty and teach them how to act later"

Look at Austin Peck, he didn't know how to act worth spit when he was on Days but when he went to As the World turns he actually delivered.

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 2

I wonder if Kimberly was told that her brother wasn't dead, came home but died anyway?

Kimberly and Shane should have been there. They are part of an era of supercouples in the show's history.  I loved  the juxtaposition of one love ending in Bo and Hope to the rekindling of another in Steve and Kayla..It reminded me of when Isabella died at the same time that Abigail was being born..Sherry Anderson who was the best writer of  the show said, it was deliberate on her part to show the correlation between life and death...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4

To quote Good Times Florida Evans, "Damn! Damn! DAMN!!'  Devastating doesn't even begin to describe the death of Bo Brady nor Bope, for that matter.  Peter Reckell, Kristian Alfonso, Mary Beth Evans & Stephen Nichols were flawless, from start to finish. My heart was breaking the whole time.

RIP, Bo.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 9

To quote Good Times Florida Evans, "Damn! Damn! DAMN!!' Devastating doesn't even begin to describe the death of Bo Brady nor Bope, for that matter. Peter Reckell, Kristian Alfonso, Mary Beth Evans & Stephen Nichols were flawless, from start to finish. My heart was breaking the whole time.

RIP, Bo.

This quote says all I wanted to say.

FYI: I'm driving in my car today and they said something about Bo Jackson, the athlete, and I started crying. Just hearing the name Bo was too much.

I have every episode from this week on my DVR and I don't know when I'll be able to delete. Doing so feels like the ultimate goodbye. As long as these episodes are there, Bo's not really gone.

Edited by Happytobehere
  • Love 4

I'm no fan of Hope or Bo, but that was a nice episode chronicling their history. 

And it's always fun to see Hope's big 80s hair. LOL

You just semi answered your own question. Tony got 8 emmys and still has a fanbase that's why. Reason I said Genie because it has been said she can be difficult too on set but she's not as bad as Tony. But a least she made a final push to work with Tony one last time.

Genie Francis was pretty much abused by General Hospital and ABC. The producers and that idiot Brian Frons belittled and insulted her. and then assassinated her character.  Yet Geary was permitted to be a total ass and take massive hiatuses from the show without repercussion. 

• Love 15

The whole time I was watching Friday's episode, there was a tiny voice in the back of my mind that kept repeating "Please don't let 'Fancy Face' be Bo's last words." 

Like someone else said, it really was like losing an old friend. 

• Love 5

I totally cried the ugly cry when Bo died.  My poor dog was so upset he didn't know what was going on LOL

I was not watching Days back then so the flashbacks were such a treat and Bo's death was kind of beautiful.  He got to see most of his family and he died in his love's arms.

• Love 5