Type keyword(s) to search

Current Plots Discussion: Actually Today's Episode

Message added by scarynikki12

Spoilers are not allowed in this thread. Period. Any posts that include spoilers (and casting information qualifies) will be removed. There are several other threads that allow spoilers so take that discussion to one of them.

• Start Topic

I also liked their scenes it was nice to see Eric not be depressing it would be nice if they were to commit to this pairing however I highly doubt it. She'll end up tossed aside for Nicole like the other women. 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, I kinda got that, too. Kayla was really off today in general. MBE was playing everything like she really didn’t wanna be there lol.

Or maybe she knows a secret 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 7/24/2022 at 9:19 PM, ajs1615 said:

I've just caught up on the week. Two entries in my ongoing "Zach Tinker is Recast of the Year" submission. First, Sonny and Will in bed with the crumbs is one of the single most believable "couple" moments I can remember between those two, recast or otherwise. And second, the platonic connection between Sonny and Chad is very well written and portrayed. I've seen those friendships in real life but rarely on TV. 

Billy Flynn's greatest strength is that he's really good at generating chemistry with people, especially friendship chemistry.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

Today's ep was enjoyable mainly because of Kristen's plans. One day out of jail, and she is back at DiMera.

Wonder if Shin really was talking to his mom.

The air mattress strikes again!

Jake, why do you want to marry Ava?

Jada, wait til you learn that Eric is a former priest who is hung up on Nicole.

Yeah, Kayla, you can't just ship Sarah's records without legal requests to do so. Maybe you were a bit rude to Jada. Her dad was Steve's BFF years ago.

• Love 4

I think that that was Mary Beth's fault, not the writing

Clearly there was a scene or line cut. It went from Steve introducing them to Kayla saying how sorry she was Marcus had passed.  It played oddly because you can tell it was edited.  Also its not MBE fault that they wrote Kayla sitting at the table instead of Kayla and Jada hugging each other like Steve and Jada did. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

Yeah, Kayla, you can't just ship Sarah's records without legal requests to do so. Maybe you were a bit rude to Jada. Her dad was Steve's BFF years ago.

But Kayla knows about Steve/Marcus. Very well. She was friendly with Marcus, too. So today's characterization made little sense all the way around. Disappointing, but that is almost de rigueur at this point, so...

• Like 3
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

But Kayla knows about Steve/Marcus. Very well. She was friendly with Marcus, too. So today's characterization made little sense all the way around. Disappointing, but that is almost de rigueur at this point, so...

Totally agree. And wasn't it Marcus who helped treat Kayla/save her life when Harper was poisoning her and Steve kidnapped/rescued her from the Deveraux mansion and took her to a safe house that Gabrielle gave him access too? 

• Love 3
(edited)

I just stumbled upon clips of the Governor of Salem pardoning 4 felons.

...because...?!!?

Seriously what possible explanation did Ron (not) come up with to justify such an insane twist?

I can't even watch 5 minutes anymore without my head exploding. 

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 2
25 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

I just stumbled upon clips of the Governor of Salem pardoning 4 felons.

...because...?!!?

Seriously what possible explanation did Ron (not) come up with to justify such an insane twist?

I can't even watch 5 minutes anymore without my head exploding. 

Orphie aka Milo Hick, had something on the Gov that he gleaned from the Salem police files, so with that information, he called him and got pardons like it was the Walmart Founder's Day sale.

It all makes perfect sense.... in the Upside Down.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

Marcus and Kayla were close after Steve "died."  I would have thought Marcus and Kayla would have kept in touch after they both left Salem and she would have known about Jada.  It just felt off that Steve knew Jada, but Kayla didn't seem to have met her before.  I realize the actors can't always remember the storylines like we the viewers do (do you remember what you did at work 30 years ago?), but the writers could have looked at a Soap Opera Digest summary to refresh their memories.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Lucas Rowan said:

I think that that was Mary Beth's fault, not the writing.

I agree with everyone that Kayla seemed annoyed and perturbed by Jada's presence. I also agree with you that I blame 50% of this on MB. In general, she plays Kayla as thorny, unpleasant, and tactfully hostile. She used to just play Kayla like this in doctor mode, but this seems to be her general disposition now. 

That being said, with Abby and JJ being off canvas, the show seems to be investing in her relationships with her Brady nieces and nephews more.

Brady/Eric/Chloe/Nicole with Shawn/Belle/EJ (and Sami if they could get her for a solid year) should really be the 40s something core of this show. Nicole has felt useless for months in the Rafe/Nicole/Ava storyline, but one interaction with Chloe/Brady and of course a returned Eric makes her feel necessary to the canvas again. I also think the Nicole/Allie relationship has ran its course. They of course can and should still interact, but it feels like a stretch for the two to be so close at this point in the show.

Rafe/Ava/Jake/Sarah/Gwen/Xander could all leave Salem. They feel too separate from the core 40s group, and too much work would need to be done to make them work. The jury is still out on Jada, but I like her so far. Definite upgrade from Lani.

Is Gabi/Shin a silent admission that the show has no idea what to do with Gabi?

I like Kristen as the new Stephano. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I don't think so but I don't recall an instance on this show where exes were paired again onscreen(I mean it might've happened but nothing at the top of my head)

Apparently this is the reason why Ciara and Ben had to leave?

• Useful 1
51 minutes ago, Lucas Rowan said:

One of them, at least.  Plus, Victoria Konefal wouldn't recommit to a new contract, and the show apparently doesn't want to accommodate those who want to stay purely on recurring anymore.

I don't know about that... They bend over backward and jump through all of the hoops for Ali Sweeney.  

2 minutes ago, Lucas Rowan said:

But they wouldn't for Victoria, Marci, or Lamon.  I think Alison is a special case due to her being a long-running vet on the show.

I guess so, but that's favoritism for a character that I can't stand, so I'm not in favor of it, LOL. 😉

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I guess so, but that's favoritism for a character that I can't stand, so I'm not in favor of it, LOL. 😉

It is favoritism for an actress that has been there for three decades and whom they invite to come back to the show for short stints. The other actors are for characters whom either have been recasted several times with other actors or people who are trying to find outside work and then cannot commit to any guaranteed time during recurring basis which is difficult with days odd taping schedule. If AS is unavailable to film, they won’t write her in.

These other actors wanted to be recurring and have Days to write for them around their schedules. Which would be fine for 1 or 2 people especially if they were so tied into their couples being tied to the hip for stories 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't know about that... They bend over backward and jump through all of the hoops for Ali Sweeney.  

1 hour ago, Lucas Rowan said:

But they wouldn't for Victoria, Marci, or Lamon.  I think Alison is a special case due to her being a long-running vet on the show.

I've posted my theory that VK, LA and AS want to keep DOOL as a side piece.   Nicely available when they need money and aren't involved elsewhere. 

DOOL said no to all but AS.  Not only is AS the show's biggest star next to Deidre but I think she's more willing to commit to specific dates.

It's why I'm irritated by how they treated MM.  Her issue was parenting which makes me think she'd be more willing to set a firmer PT schedule. 

• Like 4
  • Love 4

I'm so out of the habit of watching now, that most times even if I'm around at airing time, I don't bother watching. But I did turn it on today, and have a few thoughts.

1) Eric / Nicole - Oh, .. Rafe.  Haven't missed you, buddy.  And I see you're already jealous of Eric. 

2) Brady / Chloe / Kristin - BORING 🥱

3) Sara / Maggie - really enjoyed those scenes, and liked the Sara character for the first time in a long time

4) Gwen / Xander / Sara  - why is Gwen still on the show?  Abigail's dead, and Jack's retcon daughter is still alive.  I didn't even really like the Abigail character, and that just seems wrong.

5) Jake / Ava - actually kind of liked them as a couple, but Jake's accent still gets on my nerves

6) Sonny / non-Ben -  had read spoilers about RSW coming back as a new character.  Since it took me YEARS to see Roman and not Chris, can't imagine I'm going to not see Ben for a long time.

7) Sonny / Gabi - oh right, forgot about them.  Another business story, also BORING

• Applause 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Lucas Rowan said:

Xander's scenes with Gwen show me that he's on his way to thawing toward her.  I think that, surprisingly, Sarah might be, as well, since she actually, finally apologized to her.  Though I imagine that it'll be slower going for her.

Why should Sarah owe Gwen an apology?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I've posted my theory that VK, LA and AS want to keep DOOL as a side piece.   Nicely available when they need money and aren't involved elsewhere. 

DOOL said no to all but AS.  Not only is AS the show's biggest star next to Deidre but I think she's more willing to commit to specific dates.

It's why I'm irritated by how they treated MM.  Her issue was parenting which makes me think she'd be more willing to set a firmer PT schedule. 

They really did MM, the character of Abby, and Chabby fans wrong. 

I am probably in the minority, but I just don't get the appeal of AS. The ratings do not significantly improve and her story-lines are recycled, i.e., she loves EJ, no she loves Lucas, etc.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, RedElf said:

Today's show seemed like it should have been a Friday, between Jake getting shot and Rob Wilson showing up again all wet and glistening.

Yea. It's been seeming like they're behind schedule lately. Plus there's been some weird editing, which is maybe them trying to get back on track?

I love the new Sonny so much. He's just such a burst of energy and I really appreciate it.

• Like 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, buffynut said:

Sonny / non-Ben -  had read spoilers about RSW coming back as a new character.  Since it took me YEARS to see Roman and not Chris, can't imagine I'm going to not see Ben for a long time.

WTF?!?!  I didn't watch and don't read spoilers so I had no idea RSW would be on DOOL as a new character.  WHAT?!  So is the show going to completely ignore the resemblance to Ben?!  Am I right in thinking all the characters will not remark on that AT ALL?!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I agree with everyone that Kayla seemed annoyed and perturbed by Jada's presence. I also agree with you that I blame 50% of this on MB. In general, she plays Kayla as thorny, unpleasant, and tactfully hostile. She used to just play Kayla like this in doctor mode, but this seems to be her general disposition now. 

That being said, with Abby and JJ being off canvas, the show seems to be investing in her relationships with her Brady nieces and nephews more.

Brady/Eric/Chloe/Nicole with Shawn/Belle/EJ (and Sami if they could get her for a solid year) should really be the 40s something core of this show. Nicole has felt useless for months in the Rafe/Nicole/Ava storyline, but one interaction with Chloe/Brady and of course a returned Eric makes her feel necessary to the canvas again. I also think the Nicole/Allie relationship has ran its course. They of course can and should still interact, but it feels like a stretch for the two to be so close at this point in the show.

Rafe/Ava/Jake/Sarah/Gwen/Xander could all leave Salem. They feel too separate from the core 40s group, and too much work would need to be done to make them work. The jury is still out on Jada, but I like her so far. Definite upgrade from Lani.

Is Gabi/Shin a silent admission that the show has no idea what to do with Gabi?

I like Kristen as the new Stephano. 

I always thought Allie should've had issues with Nicole because of how she always broke Eric's heart and how she dumped him to marry her father Lucas for $5 million, then of course Sydnapping. 

If any  child of Sami's should have a close relationship with Nicole its Sydney(even Johnny as well) given past history and well she used to be married to their father.

21 minutes ago, norcalgal said:

WTF?!?!  I didn't watch and don't read spoilers so I had no idea RSW would be on DOOL as a new character.  WHAT?!  So is the show going to completely ignore the resemblance to Ben?!  Am I right in thinking all the characters will not remark on that AT ALL?!

They'll probably make a joke about it like when KL's Rex interacted with EM's Brady and then move on hopefully.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, norcalgal said:

There's a "joke" in the Days promo for the week.  You can watch it at this link:

https://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/weekly-preview-promo-7-25-2022-t43866.html

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Gwen was clearly sniffing around to see if Sarah remembers the night Abby died. I have no doubt it was Gwen in the Sarah mask who Lucas saw. I do sadly doubt that the writers will make her the killer. Like Kristen she will be an annoyance forever

• Love 5

Gwen's fake ooh poor Abigail's children, my sister I would have saved her. It's all my fault just made her look shady as hell. Then her pushing the Sarah did it.  

Making it look it's Gwen. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Ral80 said:

They really did MM, the character of Abby, and Chabby fans wrong. 

I am probably in the minority, but I just don't get the appeal of AS. The ratings do not significantly improve and her story-lines are recycled, i.e., she loves EJ, no she loves Lucas, etc.

I second both of these statements!!

• Love 3

At least Nicole actually seemed injured when the mugger pushed her to the sidewalk. Her handsome ex and current husband to the rescue. Rafe will put out an APB for the mugger? Eric, not every wannabe crook wants help. You can't just hope he hi-tails it to the Horton Centre for a meal and a place to sleep.

At least Ava got to choose her own ring. Too bad the mugger returned, and Jake decided to play hero. And get shot.

Gwen, maybe not visit Xander and Sarah. Don't think either Sarah or Gwen killed Abs, but Gwen probably did sneak in wearing a Sarah mask. Too bad Sarah doesn't get woozy or something before a hallucination.

Why would Kristen want to be the made-up head of Basic Black except to play with Brady and Chloe? She really can't just fire her. Surely the big boss would not wear a mini dress.

Wonder who did buy the London company?

Hello Sonny and the familiar looking wet dude at the end of the show.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Alright, that ending.  

You know, with that greasy, glistening plasticine thing dripping all over Maggie's rug.

Alex Kiriakis my arse, that's a newly hatched pod person.

They always come dripping with goo.

All in all, perhaps an improvement over the usual Salem inhabitant.

But just try getting that slime out of your carpet or off your couch cushions, just try!

• LOL 11

That mugger had a very busy day. 

Why would Jake try to confront a man with a gun? I hope I'm not expected to feel sorry for him.

I always get a good chuckle whenever HR is incorporated into some evil person's nefarious schemes. Chloe's going to spend hours doing mandatory paperwork and online sexual harassment training now. Chloe will be begging the quit after that experience.

I'm so tired of seeing RSW and PT without a shirt.

Similar to Jake, Sarah believes Gwen has a gun, so she gets a knife. Again, why are people rushing people with guns?

• Love 6

If show wants viewers to see Alex and not Ben, they probably shouldn't write scenes where he's threatening someone while fabric wrapping around his knuckles.  Or remind us of the Necktie Killer. 

Orpheus might make an interesting new suitor for Ava.  They could be quite the formidable pair.  They could even double date with Clyde and Nancy. That would be fun. 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 7
3 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

If show wants viewers to see Alex and not Ben, they probably shouldn't write scenes where he's threatening someone while fabric wrapping around his knuckles.  Or remind us of the Necktie Killer.

Ron thinks he's so cute and clever.

I liked those scenes though simply because I love new Sonny lol.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

Even though I think Alex should be older and played by someone else. I do like the idea of him in general and he can be "a useful idiot" in that I was hoping he would've killed Bonnie tbh. I'd even settle for an affair between the two if it ends Justin/Bonnie.  

Plus I always wanted Justin/Adrienne(when she was here)'s family dynamic explored. We know so little about all the years they were gone. Its unfortunate the show killed off Adrienne and Anjelica before bringing back Alex but I digress.

• Love 5
(edited)

I do think RSW's mannerisms and general body language as Alex was pretty different from Ben, so yeah, this can work. I imagine a lot of viewers who don't follow spoilers or RSW's social media must have been like "What the FUCK?" today.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 7
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I do think RSW's mannerisms and general body language as Alex was pretty different from Ben, so yeah, this can work. I imagine a lot of viewers who don't follow spoilers or RSW's social media must have been like "What the FUCK?" today.

He surprisingly had decent father/son chem with Wally and a nice brotherly vibe with ZT's Sonny. I actually forgot about the Sonny/Ben connection in those scenes but mostly because that involved FS's Sonny.

• Like 3
  • Love 7
37 minutes ago, Lucas Rowan said:

Loved the Steve/Justin/Orpheus scenes.  Justin still clearly hates Orpheus over Adrienne's death (even though it really was an accident), and so does Steve (as well as other things that Orpheus has done to him and Kayla).  When Orpheus mentioned going out west, I knew that he was going to say that he was considering Seattle, and I think that Steve did, too.  He had the perfect "the hell you are!" face when he "suggested" visiting Stephanie, Joey, and Tripp.

Agree, those were good scenes and the three played off each other well. Don't see that enough with some of the newer characters.  I, too, guessed Orpheus was going to say Seatle before he did, but I also expected him to point out the irony that Roman was responsible for his wife's death, also an unintended accident, and draw parallels with Justin.   But the show always dances around that, perhaps because it's hard to picture Chris Kosticheck...er...Roman these days as an ISA agent, yet along Orpheus's former partner.  And thus it was convenient that Roman wasn't working today either.  The undoing of John as Roman always makes this backstory/character history a little wonky. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Justin mentioned that he has a granddaughter (Ari), however the show has already forgotten what they originally wrote when Will and Sonny moved to Arizona. They moved there so Sonny could work with his brothers and that Ari would love spending time with her cousins in Arizona. Since at the time, Allie was not sorased or had Henry yet, those cousins would have been via Sonny as Gabi's brothers don't have kids.

• Love 4
(edited)

You're all being kind and generous to RSW in his new role as Alex.  You're better people than I am, without a doubt.  I didn't see much difference, other than him being oiled up like a Thanksgiving turkey ready for the oven.  He's such a bro, such a dude, you could practically smell the Axe body spray through the screen.  He's a brude.

Ron's light touch is already apparent - if you didn't love Ben Weston, Ron is going to beat us over the head with this incarnation.  The plucked chicken look doesn't do much for me.

As for this being the first time meeting Bonnie, I was sure Justin took Bonnie to Arizona a while back to meet his sons.  Why did Alex keep calling Adrienne Sonny's mom is if she wasn't his as well?  I know Angelica gave birth to him, but didn't Adrienne raise him?   He didn't seem to care much about her at all.

I am loving NuSonny, though, and I was very hesitant about the guy when he first started.  I first saw him on Y&R and he was pretty bad, but he's really  found his footing in Salem and given Sonny a new lease on life.

Can't someone just push Orpheus in the river and give us a break from the tedium of it all?  He and Kristen, at this point, remind me more of angry Wal-Mart  customers who forgot their coupons  than criminal masterminds.

Edited by boes
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7
(edited)
21 minutes ago, boes said:

As for this being the first time meeting Bonnie, I was sure Justin took Bonnie to Arizona a while back to meet his sons.  Why did Alex keep calling Adrienne Sonny's mom is if she wasn't his as well?  I know Angelica gave birth to him, but didn't Adrienne raise him?   He didn't seem to care much about her at all.

Adrienne did raise him with her other sons. Anjelica sent Alex to go be with Adrienne and Justin. Anjelica and Alex were presumed dead after a plane crash so she could have gotten away with keeping him for herself  with her vast wealth and connections but she realized that life on the run was not right for a child.  Children need love and stability to thrive and Anjelica knew that Justin and Adrienne could give him that something that she could not as a criminal. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3

Orpheus and Steve were good fun.  I know Ron can't stand to take his time with his storylines but I enjoyed how today's scenes felt like a new chapter of a dangerous rivalry. I won't be at all surprised if Orpheus is headed back to prison in a few weeks, though.

I'm mostly curious about Benexander to see if RSW will be able to convince me that he's a completely different character.  If the new character is the arrogant ass RSW seems born to play, he may be able to pull it off.  Plus, I don't think I ever gave a damn about Ben, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Ron C probably wet himself when he imagined the scene with a shirtless RSW wresting around with Zach Tinker.  Oh my.  

Those robbery/shooting/bleeding-out scenes were so bad that I ended up laughing when I was supposed to be.  

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I like the Benexander name.  He came back waaaay too soon as another character. If you don't watch regularly, you are wondering if he got a job at the mansion. Not really sold yet. The necktie killer line was an expected joke.

Jake, good idea taking on a loon with a gun. And now you're dead. Whether it is Salem dead, or dead-dead, we don't know. Felt badly for Ava.

The new cop did a clean shoot and the guy did have a gun and shot someone. She and Eric may have a thing for a bit but he probably will work his way back to Nicole.

Surprised that Kayla didn't give a tensor bandage for the sprain or prescribe a walking boot for wearing a couple of weeks.

I liked the Steve and Orpheus scenes.

Wanted some of whatever drink Hendo/Henmo created.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
On 7/26/2022 at 5:57 PM, norcalgal said:

The only reference to Ben will likely be their universal out-of-nowhere adoration for "Alex".

Because RSW is the greatest 🤢

3 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Felt badly for Ava.

When did she and Jake even get involved?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, boes said:

He's such a bro, such a dude, you could practically smell the Axe body spray through the screen.  He's a brude.

He is and imo Ben wasn't really like that at all. Well, reformed serial killer Ben wasn't. I wasn't watching pre serial killing or during the serial killing lol.

10 hours ago, enchantingmonkey said:

If the new character is the arrogant ass RSW seems born to play, he may be able to pull it off.

This lol. Alex seems like he'll be closer to RSW's actual personality so he'll probably be more at ease with it.

• Love 5

Yesterday's show:

RSW does nothing for me no matter who he plays, and half naked and greased up is just repellant. Definitely think he and Bonnie will be hitting the sheets

The actor who plays Rafe either just does not care anymore or is worse than the last time I saw him. His slow ass delivery and monotone is just mehhh. Go for the priest Nicole! And this from somebody who finds Eric also meh but he is an upgrade from Rafe for sure

Kayla seems to hate her job

• Like 1
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, brisbydog said:

Kayla seems to hate her job

Of course she hates her job.  Do you KNOW how many times she's had to tell people their loved one is dead, only to have said person magically stroll back into the room?  Not to mention the number of bad DNA results she's had to give?  She's probably like, "What's even the point anymore?"  She's probably gotten to the point where she feels like she's at least safe diagnosing a sprained ankle (but should really tell the person to get a second opinion anyway because someone will do something to prove her wrong.)

• Wink 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Even though I think Alex should be older and played by someone else. I do like the idea of him in general and he can be "a useful idiot" in that I was hoping he would've killed Bonnie tbh. I'd even settle for an affair between the two if it ends Justin/Bonnie.  

Plus I always wanted Justin/Adrienne(when she was here)'s family dynamic explored. We know so little about all the years they were gone. Its unfortunate the show killed off Adrienne and Anjelica before bringing back Alex but I digress.

I don't think that the show was ever interested in Justin and Adrienne other Dena who was a huge fan of theirs and was part of the writing team in their original story.  Dena was the one who brought Sonny to the show as an adult.  She had plans on bringing back Alex and then the twins to explore the Kiriakis family dynamics but she got fired and Ron took over.. I remember Dena brought Justin Adrienne and all of their kids back before Sonny was cast but we never saw them onscreen. We had Victor telling us that they were back and then they moved back to Texas.

An affair between Bonnie and Alex would be gross but Ron would do it because he would think that it is innovative and edgy.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3