Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Four Walls And A Roof

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Ok, so who in the group knows the truth about Karen/David? I thought everyone had been informed, hence Tyreese telling Carol at the waterside last ep that they would all "have to accept it".

Is this not the case? I just found myself flummoxed when Sasha seemed to compare the fates of Bob and Karen. Why would Sasha and Tyreese have the same reaction?? Tyreese's dying girlfriend was mercifully killed by a member of their group; Bob, in seemingly perfect health, was knocked out, kidnapped, had his leg cut off and eaten in front of himself, and then his body dumped back at the church like yesterday's garbage. Why would Tyreese have the same anger towards Carol as Sasha had towards the Termites?

Bob had a classy ending. I'm actually going to miss him.

• Love 3

I thought Gareth dumped Bob in the front yard because he's a friggin' psycho. 

Me, too. haha!

I thought it was supposed to scare them, but even after their escape from Terminus, the termites continued to underestimate them.

• Love 3

Ok, so who in the group knows the truth about Karen/David? I thought everyone had been informed, hence Tyreese telling Carol at the waterside last ep that they would all "have to accept it".

Is this not the case? I just found myself flummoxed when Sasha seemed to compare the fates of Bob and Karen. Why would Sasha and Tyreese have the same reaction?? Tyreese's dying girlfriend was mercifully killed by a member of their group; Bob, in seemingly perfect health, was knocked out, kidnapped, had his leg cut off and eaten in front of himself, and then his body dumped back at the church like yesterday's garbage. Why would Tyreese have the same anger towards Carol as Sasha had towards the Termites?

Bob had a classy ending. I'm actually going to miss him.

IIRC she was referring to Tyreese's feelings when they found Karvid. Someone had murdered them, dragged their bodies outside, and burned them.  That's all he knew at the time (and still the essence of what happened in any case) and he was murderously enraged.  Even Daryl promised to "put a bolt" through the head of whoever had done it.  It was just how Tyreese felt in those moments that Sasha was talking about.  She wanted revenge; she was murderously angry just as he had been.  

Agreed, these murderers (the Termites) are far more heinous than miss Angel of Mercy could ever hope to be.

• Love 4

Two years into the ZA, and the guy's walking around in pretty fresh-looking duds. Something ain't right

Especially that whiter-than-white collar.

Makes me want to paraphrase the Beatles:

"Father PeePee Pants, writing the words

Of a sermon that no one will hear

No one comes near

Look at him working, washing his socks

In the night when there's nobody there

What does he care?"

Okay, that's pathetic but I couldn't help myself.:(

• Love 5

Why did the Termites dump Bob in front of the church?

I'm guessing they dumped Bob in hopes that Bob would tell everyone about the nearby school, drawing off the best fighters and leaving the "weak" behind.

I thought Gareth's dumping Bob on the doorstep was pure strategy, figuring something along the following...

R&Co get to the school...realize they've been duped, and haul ass back to the church.

G&Co either ambush them on the way, or greet them at the door with automatic weapons...

I thought Gareth dumped Bob in the front yard because he's a friggin' psycho.

When you get bad meat, you return it for a store credit or exchange it for fresh meat.

• Love 23

I thought only Maggie, Rick, and Daryl (and of course Tyresse and Carol) definitely knew.

• Love 1

I still have TTD on my DVR. I am contemplating trying to sniff it out. I generally try to stay spoiler free, but you are tempting me!

I was thinking the same thing, but fast forwarding through the episode to pay attention to the ads is just too much for me to bear, so I'll stay spoiler free.  :-)

• Love 1

I know who comes out of the woods with Daryl. I won't spoil it but there was a commercial during the Talking Dead that accidentally showed it. It was during a Walking Dead app commercial or something. I have no idea why nobody else saw it. It was only a second so there may be additional people than what was shown.

Oh, do you mean the clip where Daryl is standing in the dark outside the church and he says "C'mon out"...and he's got Beth and Carol on chains as "walker pets" ?

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 5

Rock on! We can tour together - Tainted Meat and The Flaming Zombies live at the Fillmore!

ETA:

Yes, but I'm a grown up and I have no interest in Veronica Mars: The Apocalypse Years or Pretty Little Walkers. If that's what they want, give her her own spin-off where she stumbles on a boarding school in the woods and they can have all the teen angst-love triangles-talent shows-zombies they want and I never have to endure EK on my screen again.

And the actress is 29! She does look young but I KNOW that she's 29 and well, her acting does not override that knowledge. It's like, yeah, her acting is at a teenage drama club actor skill level but not a GOOD one.

They have done nothing with the Rosita character, I am assuming she will be one of the next to die.

Awesome.

• Love 6

Oh that shocked look on Tyreese's face when the justified killing began.  Poor Tyreese - he isn't adjusting well to the new world order.

It was a much needed blood-letting.  Nobody puts Camp Dinner Bell on a plate - except Camp Dinner Bell.

Too bad Carol wasn't there to tell him to "Look at Baby Judith,  Tyreese.  Just look at Baby Judith."

• Love 13
When you get bad meat, you return it for a store credit or exchange it for fresh meat.

Apparently at Grimes House of Meat there is a "Buy As Is" policy. No returns, no exchanges. Upon penalty of death.

They have done nothing with the Rosita character, I am assuming she will be one of the next to die.

I am actually assuming the opposite. It's usually after they give you a big monologue, or love story, or dramatic character turn that you bite it - see Hershel, Merle, Bob.

He's inherited Lori's bug eyes for every occasion.

Maybe Tyrese is the love child of Lori and Dale.

• Love 11

I go back and forth on Tyrese.  Sometimes I like him and sometimes not so much.  I know he and Carol are severely traumatized over Lizzie and Mika because it really hasn't been long since The Grove happened.  I know they are both trying to cope in different ways.  The thing is, this is the ZA and you just don't have the luxury anymore of sitting back and trying to sort out your feelings.  Hopefully he's starting to realize that since he's the one who stepped up with Bob so Sasha didn't have to do it.

Father Pee-Pants is so appropriate.  Good one, Mrs. Pootel.

• Love 4

Not me.  Maybe having a toddler has left me bloodthirsty but when Gareth started talking about Judith, well, I only wish Rick could kill him more than once.  Some folks just need killing, and sorry for the mess, Father Pee-Pants.

I hear ya. I have two pre-schoolers and just had a baby four weeks ago, and if I heard someone going on about doing any harm, much less EATING them, I'd gut them like a fish and sleep like a baby that very night.

• Love 9

"shanndee" post="510844" timestamp="1414509939"]And I'll just wish right along with you!

Aw, geeze, my attempt at trying to not dislike Beth quite so much didn't last long did it?

I fail.

I've come to like Beth. It's weird because she hasn't had a scene of any kind to change my opinion. It comes from being baffled at how much I like Carl now. It comes from how badly or shallowly they are writing Maggie, Rosita, and Tara right now of all bizarre things.

It gives me hope because last season I decided that my biggest problem with Beth was that she was being written as generic young woman coming of age in the apocalypse. We have Tara for that now and Beth has an actual storyline.

Carl got so much better when he wasn't the only kid in the show and could be an actual character instead of every kid in the ZA. I have the same hope for Beth. It probably means she'll die and Tara will live on to annoy me.

• Love 8

I know who comes out of the woods with Daryl. I won't spoil it but there was a commercial during the Talking Dead that accidentally showed it. It was during a Walking Dead app commercial or something. I have no idea why nobody else saw it. It was only a second so there may be additional people than what was shown.

I think that's just a clip from the Strangers episode when Daryl & Carol are out in the woods and Daryl stands up because he hears some leaves rustling. Granted I didn't see Carol take that exact pose, but that big old tree is still in the background. Otherwise I would love for Carol to emerge alive & well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Via thewalkingdead.com:

"Gareth tries to explain what they’ve done. Rick just gives him the hardest stare on the planet. “You’d do this to anyone, right? Besides, I already made you a promise.” OUT COMES THE RED-HANDLED MACHETE. Rick, Michonne, Abraham, and Sasha slice and club The Hunters to death. The others kind of look on in horror. It’s a brutal world."

I think Maggie, Glen and Tara were horrified by the brutality, but knew it was necessary. 

I've come to like Beth. It's weird because she hasn't had a scene of any kind to change my opinion. It comes from being baffled at how much I like Carl now. It comes from how badly or shallowly they are writing Maggie, Rosita, and Tara right now of all bizarre things.

It gives me hope because last season I decided that my biggest problem with Beth was that she was being written as generic young woman coming of age in the apocalypse. We have Tara for that now and Beth has an actual storyline.

Carl got so much better when he wasn't the only kid in the show and could be an actual character instead of every kid in the ZA. I have the same hope for Beth. It probably means she'll die and Tara will live on to annoy me.

I hope I can learn to like her (if she lives). That would be preferable to gritting my teeth and wondering if I should go make some tea whenever she is on screen. (I don't actually go make the tea in case I miss something, but her scenes are the only ones that make me feel like I can take a break).

• Love 1

I have no idea but what I saw was Beth, who knows she's in the zombie apocalypse, banging loudly on a door, When the door starts to open, she get apprehensive and pulls that tiny needle out of her arm in the hopes of pin pricking something to death. Sigh.

Oh my friend, it's even worse than you think.  When an IV is started, the metal needle is immediately removed, leaving a small plastic cannula.  Meaning, when Beth's life is in danger, she reaches not for the deadly weapon at her side (IV pole) but for the half-inch pliable plastic tube.  Why cave in a bad guy's head when you can tickle them with a tiny piece of plastic instead?

Also, I couldn't buy the actor playing the priest. His "emotional" confession felt like someone acting out an emotional confession, not reliving events. I don't know if that is because of the actor's lack of skill, or because the character was lying. But that went on and on, and I saw the actor (not the character) every second.

I like the actor, and the character was really working for me in the previous episode, but his sobbing left me cold.  I was surprised how much it didn't move me.

Kudos to Andrew Lincoln for this scene - he isn't the most dynamic of actors but he nailed that scene to the door.  If I'd been Andrew West, I might have peed a little.

On TTD, he said AL was the nicest guy and always said good morning on the set.  In character though, he was a little intimidating.

When Carl was tapping his gun, it reminded me of the "Cell Block Tango" scene from Chicago. It would have been nice if Carl had come out after the massacre softly singing : "he had it coming, he had it coming, he only had himself to blame, if you had seen it, if you had been there, I betcha you would have done the same..."

"And I fired two warning shots....... into his head".

• Love 6

I think they knew the killing was necessary. I don't know that they thought the brutality of it was.

I am trying my darnedest to stop criticizing the writing... But I must point out that for all the horrified reactions, where was Abraham? He was right along side Rick, bashing someone's head in with the butt of his gun. Fuck all three (Tara, Maggie, and Glenn). A special FU to Tara because she relived the exact same moment last season when she was in the company of the Governor and had the exact same reaction to invading the prison. She learned nothing from it apparently.

Tyreese gets a pass from me because he's obvious traumatized. Killing a child is still killing a child, especially if you had knowledge that the kid was messed up beyond repair. Getting rid of the pests was justified, because the pests obviously didn't take the first hint to leave well enough alone. They didn't seem nearly as disturbed by Bob, his state and story. Good riddance, I hope we won't hear from any of Team DC for a while. *sigh* I know otherwise. *hunch*

And this is honestly going to be the last time I harp on Maggie (I promise to let it goooooo!). I finally figured out what bugs me most about her not mentioning Beth. Should she ever see Beth again, the first words out of her (Maggie's) mouth will be, "Beth! Oh my god, I was so worried/I looked everywhere/thought I'd never see you again." It literally drives me crazy that the writers are going to try to drop that emotional hammer on the audience, when everyone knows that troll never mentioned Beth since season 4.

It also makes me angry as the annoying little sister in my family, but mostly the first part. ;-)

Edited by PrincessEnnui
  • Love 9

I hope we don't have several episodes of the split group/bottle episodes.  I can probably maintain interest through a Beth episode if I must, if only because it would be fascinating to me compared to a stand-alone episode starring Major Moobs & Co.  I've been bored by Maggie and Glenn for a long time, am irritated at Maggie and the writers for not even mentioning that she is leaving any hope of finding Beth behind (justified as that might be).  Abraham says ridiculous things and looks ridiculous.  I like Rosita but that's probably very superficial, lol, and Eugene's claims are absurd.  I thought I hated the Governor's arc, but I think I'm about to find out what character hate really is.  

I am interested to see whether/how Gabriel integrates into the group. He and Tyrese might have a lot to chat about.

• Love 4

Should she ever see Beth again, the first words out of her (Maggie's) mouth will be, "Beth! Oh my god, I was so worried/I looked everywhere/thought I'd never see you again." It literally drives me crazy that the writers are going to try to drop that emotional hammer on the audience, when everyone knows that troll never mentioned Beth since season 4.

She mentioned her briefly at the start of this season, even if that wasn't enough.

I don't think Maggie would say, "I looked everywhere." She didn't. I think she might say she missed her, and I think she probably does. Most likely if they reunite it will probably be in some sort of silent montage and we won't hear most of their conversation.

I am trying my darnedest to stop criticizing the writing... But I must point out that for all the horrified reactions, where was Abraham? He was right along side Rick, bashing someone's head in with the butt of his gun. Fuck all three (Tara, Maggie, and Glenn). A special FU to Tara because she relived the exact same moment last season when she was in the company of the Governor and had the exact same reaction to invading the prison. She learned nothing from it apparently.

When Tara was at the prison, she dropped her gun and essentially curled up into a ball, close to committing suicide until Glenn found her. This time around, she looked surprised or upset, but she still kept her gun trained on the Termites as Rick/Sasha/Abraham/Michonne pulverized them. She still did what the group wanted, in spite of any unease she may have had. She'd also agreed to leave with Abraham, even though she had no great love for him, because she wanted to stop the group from fighting. I think she's tried to show loyalty as best she can.

It hasn't been all that long since she was so sheltered she didn't even know you had to shoot a walker in the head to kill it.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3

She mentioned her briefly at the start of this season, even if that wasn't enough.

I don't think Maggie would say, "I looked everywhere." She didn't. I think she might say she missed her, and I think she probably does. Most likely if they reunite it will probably be in some sort of silent montage and we won't hear most of their conversation.

When Tara was at the prison, she dropped her gun and essentially curled up into a ball, close to committing suicide until Glenn found her. This time around, she looked surprised or upset, but she still kept her gun trained on the Termites as Rick/Sasha/Abraham/Michonne pulverized them. She still did what the group wanted, in spite of any unease she may have had. She'd also agreed to leave with Abraham, even though she had no great love for him, because she wanted to stop the group from fighting. I think she's tried to show loyalty as best she can.

That's my point. If Maggie walks up to Beth and says she missed her and looked for her, which has a 98% probability of occurring if it happens, do you think she's going to say I mentioned you once or twice since the time we've been separated. Or do you think she's going to comfort her as much as possible, i.e. I was worried about you and I looked for you. I missed you and such?

Again, Tara hasn't changed. She was okay with killing the termites, just like she was okay with killing the prison group... Until it got real for her. She learned nothing from that experience. Let's not forget she only had second hand info with the prison group, but was caught by the trap the termites set and experienced their brutality. She wants to live, but she apparently can't stomach getting her hands dirty with living people. Tyreese is criticized for the same flaws.

Edited by PrincessEnnui
  • Love 1

I don't think she's going to say, "I looked for you," because that would be a lie, and I don't think Maggie would lie to her. 

We only see a little of Maggie (or any of the characters), so I don't think her saying, "I missed you," or, "I thought about you," would be a lie. I think she does miss her. Of course that's just my inference, and I totally understand why other fans feel differently.

I don't tend to criticize Tyreese for his reactions to violence, because I think he does his best (and I don't even know if he intentionally left Martin alive - that whole thing is a confusing, poorly written mess), but I think he gets more criticism than Tara does for these reactions because we've seen more instances of them and we've seen more vocal objections.

Other than Tara making a face, we haven't really seen her object to what went on. I guess she could have, but even when she was seemingly shocked or upset, she still kept guard and kept her gun up. If she trashes Rick, or the group, for their actions, I'll be disappointed, because they could have easily just shot her as soon as they left Terminus and instead they forgave/welcomed her, but - to me anyway - she hasn't shown that type of reaction toward them.

I really don't think anyone believed the Termites deserved to live (other than the Termites). I think it's the way they were killed that caused some of the reactions. Even then, we're just going off facial expressions, so I can't say.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3

Also, I couldn't buy the actor playing the priest. His "emotional" confession felt like someone acting out an emotional confession, not reliving events. I don't know if that is because of the actor's lack of skill, or because the character was lying. But that went on and on, and I saw the actor (not the character) every second.

I had the same problem with Bob in some of the "hysterical laughing" scenes. I think some material is so melodramatic, the actor breaks through. That was some HAM melodrama with Gabriel. I thought Seth Gilliam did a good job overall, and he's created a consistent character (I especially liked the way he did the "God's house" scene). 

With that said, I also appreciated the actors who underplayed everything here, like Sonequa Martin-Green, and Andrew Lincoln (who does love to chew the scenery at times, but played all of this in such a deadly, solemn, methodical fashion).

I hope we don't have several episodes of the split group/bottle episodes.  I can probably maintain interest through a Beth episode if I must, if only because it would be fascinating to me compared to a stand-alone episode starring Major Moobs & Co.  I've been bored by Maggie and Glenn for a long time, am irritated at Maggie and the writers for not even mentioning that she is leaving any hope of finding Beth behind (justified as that might be).  Abraham says ridiculous things and looks ridiculous.  I like Rosita but that's probably very superficial, lol, and Eugene's claims are absurd.  I thought I hated the Governor's arc, but I think I'm about to find out what character hate really is.  

I am interested to see whether/how Gabriel integrates into the group. He and Tyrese might have a lot to chat about.

The main problem is Abraham/Eugene are caricatures, and it's also a tall order for us to care about Abraham as some type of potential leader when the show already has long-established characters who fit this bill. It's just a non-starter that he could convince anyone to go with him, which is probably why the show wrote it the way they did where there were several other factors. 

I don't mind Rosita - in this episode in particular I thought they managed to strike a balance of her questioning things and getting involved without being overbearing or smug (like the smirking she was doing at Gabriel last week, which annoyed me). Unfortunately I think she is just there for eye candy or to be a redshirt (or red booty shorts - if she still has those). 

I think there's a decent shot of that group being able to carry an episode, but the writing has to be far, far better for them than it has been so far. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2

Wow Bob sure went out with a bang. The "Tainted meat!" scene has to be one of the funniest and most memorable of this season so far. I do wonder whether the termites who ate Bob's leg ended up infected. Too bad we will never know. The termite extermination scene was highly satisfying for me, wish they had shown more of their skulls getting bashed in. Looks like next week we finally have a change of scenery. Hope Carol is still alive as she is the best part of the show for me. Yes, Tyrese's bug eyes are annoying as hell but I don't mind him as much now as I did back in the prison season.

• Love 3

Remember the "Dammit, Carl!" era? I almost yelled "Dammit, Judith!" when she cried.

My "STAY IN THE HOUSE CARL" T-shirt is still one of my favorites.

I just snorted, because when my grandparents took me to their church when I was a kid and the Sunday school teacher asked me who my grandparents were I said "grandma and grandpa" so she tried to get actual information out of me and asked "when grandpa talks to grandma what does he call her?" and I replied "Dammit Dorothy". 

But oh, yes, Carl and the hat almost sent me into convulsions of anger because I knew he was gonna get Dale killed...etc.

• Love 9
I don't mind Rosita - in this episode in particular I thought they managed to strike a balance of her questioning things and getting involved without being overbearing or smug (like the smirking she was doing at Gabriel last week, which annoyed me). Unfortunately I think she is just there for eye candy or to be a redshirt (or red booty shorts - if she still has those).

Rosita has become ten times more tolerable to me since she lost those booty shorts. 

• Love 8

Rosita has become ten times more tolerable to me since she lost those booty shorts. 

True. But she's still barely more than a cipher. I hope they do something interesting with her.

• Love 2

Ok, what is wrong with me?  I watched the scene where Rick and co butchered the sadistic Termites.  It was so satisfying, Lol!

It WAS terribly satisfying! (says the person who literally cannot swat a fly.)  Sometimes you just want to see people get what they deserve - and no one ever deserved it more -  without years and years of trials, litigation, appeals, lawyers haggling and plea bargaining. I loved how the Termite killing was all pre-choreographed and inevitable yet Rick still let Gareth talk and grasp unto a faint hope that he might get out of this alive.

The other other scene on television that satisfied me this much was when Dexter Morgan strangled the pedophile.

I need to re-watch, but where was Eugene was when the carnage was going on? He must have been horrified at Abraham joining in on it.

• Love 1

Every time I read "Father Gabriel" and "Abraham" in the same paragraph I keep merging them into "Father Abraham" and I get that little Sunday school song stuck in my head. Like now.

Yesterday a Buckhead Beef truck drove by me and I immediately thought of Abraham. To me he looks like that should be his name: Buckhead Beef.

• Love 10

I need to re-watch, but where was Eugene was when the carnage was going on?

He was in the corner sweating and hoping no one noticed the smell from his pants as I would bet $100.00 he pooped them

• Love 4

I hate to give the writers any credit, even of a back-handed kind, but it's got to be tough to write for so many women who are all pretty much of the same age: Maggie, Sasha, Rosita, Tara, to a lesser extent due to age of character - Beth.  I mean they have effectively carved out (get it?) Michonne's character.  And then there's Carol and the writers went way afield with that characterization.  So, is the characterization - Maggie = Glenn, Sascha = Bob (and to a degree, Tyrese) and Rosita = Abraham?  What of Tara?  And right now, that's why I like Tara because she's not tied to anyone.  (Same with Beth in some regards, but it remains to be seen about Daryl.) 

(I hope this doesn't sound sexist because that's not my intent!)

• Love 2
I need to re-watch, but where was Eugene was when the carnage was going on? He must have been horrified at Abraham joining in on it.

He was in Father Pee Pant's office, with the door shut - along with Rosita, Tyrese, etc. Two Termites were shot in the head just as they were about to enter that room, so the door stayed shut through the massacre. No one came out until after. 

• Love 2

He was in Father Pee Pant's office, with the door shut - along with Rosita, Tyrese, etc. Two Termites were shot in the head just as they were about to enter that room, so the door stayed shut through the massacre. No one came out until after. 

No one came out, but the door was open as Tyrese witnessed the horror with his big bug eyes.

• Love 4

I haven't seen Rosita so much as hold hands with Abraham so I will give them credit for not pushing that relationship in our face like Maggie/Glen, Bob/Sasha. All of season 4 Sasha didn't seem to want to get too close to Bob and at that time his crush was cute. As soon as they kissed in season 5, I thought "YIKES - Bye Bob"

• Love 3
No one came out, but the door was open as Tyrese witnessed the horror with his big bug eyes.

My bad, you're right. How could I forget Tyrese Horvath-Grimes hovering in the doorway. Still, I think he was the only one who saw. It didn't look like anyone else was crowding around watching, did it? I don't know that Eugene saw what was going on. Not sure he would care, though, as long as it didn't involve him. 

• Love 3

(I've read all of these pages, didn't see it mentioned)....

Bob did not laugh hysterically and tell Sasha 'I'm tainted meat' is there a difference between chowing on his cooked leg and swapping spit with him?

Did Bob really believe he was tainted or eating him would make them more infected than they already are or was he just trying to get them to stop chewing on him?

It worked either way. 

Edited by Oinky Boinky

I'm getting more and more offended on Sonequa Martin-Green's behalf that she's still not in the opening credits, while Chad L. Coleman and Michael Cudlitz are. I know nothing about how those decisions are made in "the biz," but I can't shake the fear that this means Sasha's not long for this world. And this would make me very sad, since I currently find Sasha twice as interesting as Tyreese and Abraham combined. 

• Love 11

I think that's just a clip from the Strangers episode when Daryl & Carol are out in the woods and Daryl stands up because he hears some leaves rustling. Granted I didn't see Carol take that exact pose, but that big old tree is still in the background. Otherwise I would love for Carol to emerge alive & well.

Near the end of Talking Dead, they ran a commercial for that sweepstakes where you enter the two words shown during The Walking Dead commercial breaks. First, they show Michonne in the woods at the end of episode three—with her weapon drawn. Then

Carol standing behind Daryl in the woods—with their weapons drawn. Why would they point their weapons at Michonne?

I think the promo monkeys used an unrelated shot.

• Love 2