Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Octopus Head

As Nick and Hank turn their attention to a string of attacks where victims are left without their memories, Nick weighs whether or not he should regain his Grimm abilities. Trubel joins the investigation and puts herself in harms way. Adalind is held captive and learns that she is more connected than ever to Nick. Captain Renard continues to fight for his life as a mysterious visitor arrives to help him

• Love 1
As Nick and Hank turn their attention to a string of attacks where victims are left without their memories, Nick weighs whether or not he should regain his Grimm abilities. Trubel joins the investigation and puts herself in harms way. Adalind is held captive and learns that she is more connected than ever to Nick. Captain Renard continues to fight for his life as a mysterious visitor arrives to help him

Huh.  Do you think it's just a given that they'll have some Spice Shop presto chango magic fixit trick to give him back all his powers in the next episode or two?  Because while I don't want a season-long emo-fest about powerless Nick, that's some serious retcon about the already nebulous Wesen biology, and again shows the weak writing/plot ideas when there's no real risk of any permanent damage.  Now, if they made the show be one where he only knows of Wesen, but can't ever see them- that could become an interesting twist on the show.

The idea that Nick could erase/surpress a hexenbiest's powers via blood was weird but cool if Grimms are some special kinds of creatures. However, if you can take away a Grimm's powers and get them back with potions, then were his powers ever gone to begin with?  Or could you use spells like the one Adalind underwent last year to make a normal person into a hexenbiest or Grimm?

Edited by hincandenza

I agree the writers are weak, but my personal fanwank on this issue is that the spell suppresses his Grimm ability, like if he got sick or something and lost any other ability he normally has. Un-doing the spell lifts the restriction so he's back to being able to do what he is naturally able to do. If the potion Renard had was going to reverse the spell, it's already been established that a spell can be reversed. The trick is for Rosalie to figure out what was in the potion Renard was trying to deliver.

Also, we don't know for sure that the only thing the spell did was block his Grimm abilities. For all we know, he's going to die, or go into a coma, or have his memory erased, like what Adalind did to Hank and Juliette last time she pulled one of these sorts of things. But it's always been shown on this show that magic can be undone, without it necessarily changing the fundamental nature of the person who was cursed by it. It's just complicated and you have to know the formula.

I don't think they've ever implied you could create a Hexenbiest or Grimm in someone not born to the ability; it's only that you can block or restore those powers in someone naturally inclined to that potential.

• Love 5

Okay Mamma Renard has jumper cable snakes.   Good thing too so we got Renard back.    Although with that power, why are Hexenbeiests not running things instead of the enigmatic Royals?

"Yes Nick I know who you are."

Tell Wu already.   It's getting ridiculous.  But you know what, Juliette, it is Nick's decision wehther he gets his Grimm powers back or not.   Not yours.   If you can't take that life, you can always leave.   HOw would you like it if Nick said "Dear, you get bit too often by the animals you treat so you can't be a vet anymore.  Go be a receptionist somewhere?"    Although that scene at least got us our 2 seconds of Rosalee and Monroe.  

Whoa did not expect the Royals to just throw Adalind in the dungeon.   I expected more along the lines of "Sorry, we don't have your baby but thanks to taking care of Nick for us."   

• Love 8

Okay Mamma Renard has jumper cable snakes. 

Thumbs up on that line!

How did Rubel get inside the hotel's guest laundry without a key card?

Silly Wabbit, she's a Grimm!

• Love 3

I loved the snake jumper cables, too. Mama definitely loves her son. It looks like she transferred some of her life force to Renard. I think I want to keep her. She seems kind of bad ass. I loved how Sean smiled when he realized she was really there.

I also loved poetic justice of Octopussy being driven insane by Teresa's memories. I guess he should have been more careful of who he decided to brain suck.

Well, I predict Nick and Juliette are not going to be unsure about getting the Grimm powers back. Being bound to Adalind is probably going to cement the decision.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Adalind rotted in the dungeon forever. She's sort of the Barney Fife of villains. She snatches defeat from the jaws of victory every single time.

I really liked this episode, except for the Teresa being kidnapped plot. I like her, so I want to keep her.

As to Teresa getting into the laundry room, I prefer Occam's Razor. The door was unlocked.

Edited by mustbekarma
  • Love 6

Does this show want me to despise Juliette? The idea that she make that decision for him is ridiculous and offensive. He won't be any safer de-Grimmed nor will their life get any less complicated. Nick's a cop so his life is constantly in danger, plus most of the Wesen community in town know he's a Grimm. That's not to mention the Royals and Resistance who know about him. And he still has the much desired keys. I know the writers are trying to examine the conflict they never really got to explore because of Juliette's stupid amnesia, but her doubt at this late date makes her come across like a selfish idiot.

Adalind used to be a corporate lawyer. I get that she's desperate to get her child, but she's been displaying very little intellect or cunning when it comes to her situation.

Also tell Wu.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 9

The thing I like about Rubel being kidnapped: Chavez (?) thinks she's the Grimm, not Nick.  So whatever plans she/FBI may have for "The Grimm" will be thwarted when Nick gets re-Grimmed & she won't know WTF is going on, because RUBEL'S the Grimm, not Nick.  bwaa hahahahaha

But, yeah, Juliette's awfully presumptuous.  I was happy when Monroe said they'd keep looking, anyway.

• Love 5

I really liked this episode, except for the Teresa being kidnapped plot. I like her, so I want to keep her.

Nod, and nod^2

And it's super just desserts err deserts for Mr. Sucky; he got more calories than he could handle...

The thing I like about Rubel being kidnapped: Chavez (?) thinks she's the Grimm, not Nick.  So whatever plans she/FBI may have for "The Grimm" will be thwarted when Nick gets re-Grimmed & she won't know WTF is going on, because RUBEL'S the Grimm, not Nick.  bwaa hahahahaha

But, yeah, Juliette's awfully presumptuous.  I was happy when Monroe said they'd keep looking, anyway.

But alas, we're back to the All Wesen are evil troup again....

As for Juliette, she's out of line, but clearly afraid....

Edited by Syme

I thought it was rather refreshing for this kind of show and, really, for this show that Renard's mother actually seemed to care for him and that he seemed truly fond of her and glad to see her. We've seen so many really awful families, especially among the Royals, that the affection between them was surprising and nice to see. I guess, given what else we've seen of his family and of hexenbiests, that I was expecting his mother to be some crazed bitch he was trying to escape.

The "Awww" moment of the night may have been Teresa's somewhat surprised and maybe a little pleased reaction when the guys were fussing over her after finding her with Octopus Head. There was a bit of that "aw, geez Mom" act while at the same time being really touched by how much they seemed to care about her. Still, though, she was writing that off to her being the only Grimm in town rather than realizing that she seems to have acquired two new adopted big brothers.

I'll give Juliette a little time before I get too mad about her not wanting Nick to be a Grimm. You have to admit, it has been really rough for her and she's seen how much he's suffered from it. I think the key is that it's what he's supposed to be, so it's like removing one of his senses. She'll probably figure that out.

Looks like Viktor is old school -- a dungeon complete with rats. Of course.

• Love 10

Well, I certainly hope the lack of Monroe and Rosalee so far, isn't a sign of how this season is going to play out for them.  I think even Wu is getting more screen time, which, I love him, but that shouldn't be happening.  Please rectify this soon, guys.

Ha!  Adalind got her dumb ass captured by the Royals.  I get wanting to see her baby was probably effecting her judgement probably, but barely being suspicious of Viktor's obvious "Oh, sure, I'll take you to your baby!  Right this way!  Follow me to this dark, creepy place that looks like of like a dungeon!" spiel.  Still not looking forward to these scenes.

Renard lives!  Thanks to his mother and a badass jumper cable snake!  On Grimm, that's not anywhere close to the weirdest thing yet.  I loved Nick and Hank's reactions to him mom; especially the latter.  He totally had a bit of a "Damn, Renard's mom is hot!!!" look on his face.  I would find it freaking hilarious if Hank gets attracted to Renard's mom.

Guys, just tell Wu.  This is only going to get worse, and he's only going to get more suspicious.

Juliette really seems to be leaning towards Nick never getting his Grimm powers back, but I have to think this "Nick and Adalind are connected and can see through each others' eyes at times" twist, is going to change that opinion real quick.

Chavez kidnaps Theresa/Trubel, so there is dad.  Old Trubel might want to work a bit on her covert skills; Nick and Hank can't always be there to save her form an attack from an Octopus Head.

• Love 1

Does this show want me to despise Juliette? The idea that she make that decision for him is ridiculous and offensive. He won't be any safer de-Grimmed nor will their life get any less complicated. Nick's a cop so his life is constantly in danger, plus most of the Wesen community in town know he's a Grimm. That's not to mention the Royals and Resistance who know about him. And he still has the much desired keys. I know the writers are trying to examine the conflict they never really got to explore because of Juliette's stupid amnesia, but her doubt at this late date makes her come across like a selfish idiot.

Adalind used to be a corporate lawyer. I get that she's desperate to get her child, but she's been displaying very little intellect or cunning when it comes to her situation.

Also tell Wu.

ITA with all your points! I actually liked Juliette BECAUSE she was so accepting of the Grimm thing, and was involving herself in helping out. This turn seems out of character to me.

Adalind should be an awesome Hexenbeast, coupling the evil lawyering with the traditional monstrousness. I could accpt her being at sea while pregnant, but now she's just too stupid to live (though she's at least necessary for the re-Grimming, apparently.)

And, yes, Wu is the Gladys Kravitz of the show at this point.

• Love 3

So Juliette decides that Nick shouldn't be a Grimm because it's bad for him (and her).  But when Nick worries about if it's a good idea to use Teresa to help him, Juliette flat out says that "She's a Grimm Nick. You can't change that about her."  Hypocrisy, thy name is Juliette.

Although I wouldn't be too surprised if Juliette come around soon, I don't think TPTB want to write her off the show and I can't see she and Nick staying together if she's against him getting his Grimm back when he really wants to get back in the game with all his powers intact.

Edited by Zahdii

So it looks like Octopus Head inadvertently cured some of Theresa's mental angst by sucking out some of her bad memories and taking them on himself.  It will be interesting to see if they write her any differently now that she supposedly doesn't remember the experiences that caused her to be hospitalized for mental problems in the past.

Hey Juliette:  Get OUT if you are going to be making decisions for Nick.  If you don't like what he chooses, then you can leave.  I've tolerated her up to this point but now I'm thoroughly pissed.  She even said "Give me some more time" not "Give Nick some more time."  It's all about her.  I hate the character now.

So basically Adalind and Nick are now like Voldemort and Harry Potter, just without a lightning-shaped scar.  Hmm.

It was nice to see that apparently Renard and his mother have a good relationship.  I'm interested to see what she does next.  Ha ha, "She's had a little work done."

Their only choices now are to either TELL WU or get another octopus to suck out just enough of Wu's memories to make him forget about the creature he saw but not enough to turn him into a vegetable.

• Love 3

So basically Adalind and Nick are now like Voldemort and Harry Potter, just without a lightning-shaped scar.  Hmm.

I love you Blue Plastic.

I wouldn't mind Juliette if she sat down with Nick and said "Look honey, I've been thinking.   Maybe this Grimm thing is not such a cool gig after all."   They are a couple and if they want to continue as a couple, they need to talk about things like this and make a decision together.   But nooooooo, she goes off to Nick's friends and tells them she has decided he shouldn't be cured and they should stop trying.   That's the problem.   She is deciding and acting on that decision without consulting the person the decision is actually about.   

• Love 2

For a few seconds I was sure they were going to have Trubel de-Grimmed, which would give Nick motive to get re-grimmed.

That's exactly what I thought was going to happen, really confused me when it didn't

I take it Octopus Dude sucked the nightmares out of Trubel .

Is that what happened? I didn't understand why he was so upset that he sucked a Grimm.

Not really loving the idea of Adalind & Nick seeing through each other's eyes, it seems like a stupid plot twist to me.

They need to do something about Wu, they can't keep him lurking around being suspicious all season.

But nooooooo, she goes off to Nick's friends and tells them she has decided he shouldn't be cured and they should stop trying.

That's not what happened.

What Juliette said in the scene with Monroe and Rosalee, was that she wanted some time for Nick to think over whether he wanted his powers back. Juliette reassured them that she still loves them, but she wanted Nick to have some space.  A valid point, even if I don't agree. It did come off as 'behind his back' as opposed to concerned. Even if there was a flawlessly reasoned and argued case for not rushing for a cure, Rosalee and Monroe were going to continue to look for the cure, regardless, so I don't get the inclusion of the scene at all. Other than a contractual thing. 

I liked Louise Lombard on CSI, so I am thrilled she's going to school the gang on how a serious hexenbiest goes to town. I get the feeling that Adalind did not read the spell all the way through, since she looked as surprised and bewildered as Nick. Not surprised if that actually is the case; she couldn't figure out how to access her mother's spellbook last season either. If it hadn't been for the lucky papercut, she'd still be in that storage room, wondering how to get revenge on Nick.

Speaking of that cell, did anyone get Rumplestiltskin vibes from the giggling voice? Or was that giggling voice the cause of the Migraine of Far-viewing?

As much as I like Alexis Denisof, I want to punch Viktor's smug mug! Also? If we get Meisner back, through the Adalind storyline? I'm okay with that.

The Feds doing a daylight snatch in a residential area?  Because a big ol' van with masked folk running around and grabbing a young woman on a bike happens so often? Plus, Agent Chavez didn't cover her face at all and was sitting shotgun ( as it were)!

I hope that there are no delayed effects of Octopus Head's brain suck. I want T. to be actually okay, unlike Nick and Adalind.

Oh, good! Others noticed Hank's "5th  Future Ex-Wife" dreamy gaze too!  (By the by, I hope we can get Zuri back. I liked Hank and Zuri when she was relaxed. I also think Sharon Leal is a very good actress.)

• Love 2

I believed Juliette when she said that Nick was wondering whether he should get his Grimm powers back. I don't think she she was flat out lying to Rosalie and Monroe. Weren't there a couple of comments by Nick last week where he did express doubts about getting his Grimm-ness back? I get that she thinks they both would be better off, and so she has an ulterior motive, but I don't think she is completely off base about Nick's conflicted feelings.

I was prepared to hate Trubel when her character was introduced, but I have actually enjoyed her. She has been a good addition to the cast.

I can't wait to find out how Renard's mother can look the same age as her son. Whatever skin products she's using, I need to get some ASAP.

Bad CGI for the jumper cable snake

Whoa, hexenbeists can freeze time like Hiro on Heroes?

Nick continues to be stingy about his money. At least Hank gave Trubel money for lunch. She's working for them and deserves to be paid.

Does Trubel now have three large holes in her skull? I hope she went to a hospital.

I was as frustrated as Nick when he could not see the FBI agent woging. But that leaves him off her a radar and it's going to be a good surprise for later.

Can't Rosalee just go back to the place where the bottle broke and scrape off some of the green stuff from the floor? I am surprised none of them gave any importance to the spilled stuff and it's probably cleaned up by now. But still they could try looking for residue and stuff.

Those big fat black rats were a bit too much. Come on! We know being in a medieval dungeon sucks.

It would be fun if Nick and Adalind physically changed places! Nick can go snooping around the castle.

Liked Hank telling Nick not to blame himself for what happened. Even Renard seemed to feel truly sorry for Nick and Hank's expression when introduced to his mother was pretty funny.

Yes Juliette, whether he wants to be a Grimm or not should be Nick's decision, not yours. Nick should need the time and space away from Juliette to properly think about this. He did tell Hank that he was not okay without his Grimm self.

Also, he actually did not tell Juliette that he wanted his Grimm powers gone for some time. He told her that maybe it was good for their relationship, that he was no longer a Grimm. And that was mainly because she said that his being a Grimm has infected their life and that she could not take it anymore. Emotional blackmail.

And as Monroe says, a lot of wesen already know that Nick is a Grimm. It's dangerous for him not being a Grimm and being one has kept him alive and helped in his police work. Juliette continues to be unpalatable, selfish and stupid and her going to Monroe and Rosalee, without telling Nick, and trying to stop them from helping Nick left a bad taste in my mouth. If Rosalee and Monroe do end up helping Nick, it will be no thanks to Juliette.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 2

Rumpelstiltskin!

ITA with all your points! I actually liked Juliette BECAUSE she was so accepting of the Grimm thing, and was involving herself in helping out. This turn seems out of character to me.

I don't think it is out of character, not yet.  She has been through a great deal, and I think this last incident with Adelind is a last straw; add the fact that Nick himself acknowledged how much easier things would be if he weren't a Grimm, and I think it is understandable that she would feel this way.  I don't agree at all with what she did, but I am ok with her having a moment of weakness, especially if (as I suspect) she will come around on this.  And then I hope the writers leave her and her relationship with Nick alone, because I think they've done enough to her.

Also, he actually did not tell Juliette that he wanted his Grimm powers gone for some time. He told her that maybe it was good for their relationship, that he was no longer a Grimm. And that was mainly because she said that his being a Grimm has infected their life and told him that she could not take it anymore. Emotional blackmail.

I disagree.  It's not emotional blackmail to be upset that people have invaded your home countless times, poisoned you, put you in a coma, forced you into a weird love spell thingie with a guy you don't like, pretended to be you, and tricked your partner into sex.  She's allowed to say once that she can't take it any more, and Nick is allowed to recognize that the Grimm thing has caused a lot of problems for their relationship.  How Juliette handles this going forward will determine whether she is trying to manipulate Nick, and certainly approaching Rosalee and Monroe without telling Nick (presumably) is not a great start, but Juliette is not perfect and should not be.

I'm liking Trubel quite a bit, if not that stupid nickname.  It helps that they did not go the bratty, troubled teenager route.  I like how much she has come to embrace Nick and the gang -- I think she appreciates the concern, and knowing that she's not crazy and that there is a purpose for her Grimmness.  Which is why I got really upset at her kidnapping.  I like the FBI woman, and I was looking forward to her being an antagonist of sorts without being evil, but kidnapping Trubel is NOT COOL, even if it is (as I suspect) to learn what she knows about the rogue agent.

Please tell Wu, and soon.  He's figuring stuff out, and may get into trouble if he doesn't understand the whole picture.

• Love 6

I disagree.  It's not emotional blackmail to be upset that people have invaded your home countless times, poisoned you, put you in a coma, forced you into a weird love spell thingie with a guy you don't like, pretended to be you, and tricked your partner into sex.  She's allowed to say once that she can't take it any more, and Nick is allowed to recognize that the Grimm thing has caused a lot of problems for their relationship.  How Juliette handles this going forward will determine whether she is trying to manipulate Nick, and certainly approaching Rosalee and Monroe without telling Nick (presumably) is not a great start, but Juliette is not perfect and should not be.

I do think it's emotional blackmail, if one is guilt tripping a person into changing what they are into something they are not to make her own life more comfortable. And yes, she's allowed to say how hard it is for her and we heard it for most of season 2 about how hard it was for her. At the end of season 2, Nick gave her the choice. This is my life, do you want to be a part of it. She agreed to be a part of it. And when Nick was leaving to go off to investigate a crime, she demanded that he take her along and that she be a part of his wesen related investigation. And we had her be very much a part of his Grimm life (And enjoying it) the whole of season 3.

To turn around now and blame him for what Adalind did to him is adding to his emotional discomfort and confusion about the whole thing. She seems to be overlooking what not being a Grimm really means to him and for him as long as their relationship is happy.  Which leads him to be able to confess to Hank about how he really feels, but not to Juliette. And we do see how she is handling this going forward. She is going behind his back and telling his friends that she needs more time to think about this so maybe they should not hurry with helping him.

• Love 5

...Does Trubel now have three large holes in her skull? I hope she went to a hospital....

That would be four holes, but excellent question and point!

...Can't Rosalee just go back to the place where the bottle broke and scrape off some of the green stuff from the floor? I am surprised none of them gave any importance to the spilled stuff and it's probably cleaned up by now. But still they could try looking for residue and stuff....

This was bugging me too until the scene in the hospital when Renard said how sorry he was that Nick hadn't gotten the potion, at which point I remembered there was a short time frame for administering the cure. They really should have had Renard end his regret with "and now it's too late." But maybe they nixed a line like that because they do plan to re-Grimm him and don't want angry fans saying: But Renard said it was too late! Or fans doubting that Renard is sincere.

...Nick should need the time and space away from Juliette to properly think about this....

That is an excellent point. Maybe they thing that when Nick:

did tell Hank that he was not okay without his Grimm self.

--that served as "time and space away from Juliette to properly think about this," though not so much.

...It's not emotional blackmail to be upset that people have invaded your home countless times, poisoned you, put you in a coma, forced you into a weird love spell thingie with a guy you don't like, pretended to be you, and tricked your partner into sex. She's allowed to say once that she can't take it any more...

It could still be called emotional blackmail, but very justifiable blackmail.

IRL, if Nick decides to try to be re-Grimmed, and if it is successfully done, Juliette staying with him would be tantamount to a battered woman staying with the batterer, not because Nick is in any way a batterer, but because living with a Grimm clearly results in all kinds of attacks on those he cares for. But this is a TV show, and a supernatural TV show, so maybe, IDK, but maybe Juliette will drink some of the Grimming potion and become one too, or maybe she'll be having sex with Nick during one of his migraine-vision swaps with Adalind, after which Juliette will magically become a Hexenbeist. I hope neither of those happen, but bigger sharks have been jumped on TV, and I almost think such a transformation would be preferable to her staying in a situation where she will continually be subjected to violent attacks by those wanting to hurt NIck because he's a Grimm. What a mess. Hmmm. How about if Rosalee gives Juliette a Grimm's Mate's Protection spell? Yeah, the best scenario would be for Juliette to go far, far away, but I don't see that happening.

...I'm liking Trubel quite a bit, if not that stupid nickname....

Sorry, but I have to admit, I chuckle a teensy bit every time Nick and Hank roll their eyes and say, "It's [Trouble]."

And when Juliette said how much Trubel and Nick are alike, I wondered if they were still going to reveal that they are related.

Edited by shapeshifter

That would be four holes, but excellent question and point!

Yes, four holes! They should have at the least showed her with some bandages on her head instead of stuffing bacon into her mouth. Four holes drilled into her head and to the hippocampus is no small matter. That's nasty.

This was bugging me too until the scene in the hospital when Renard said how sorry he was that Nick hadn't gotten the potion, at which point I remembered there was a short time frame for administering the cure. They really should have had Renard end his regret with "and now it's too late." But maybe they nixed a line like that because they do plan to re-Grimm him and don't want angry fans saying: But Renard said it was too late! Or fans doubting that Renard is sincere.

No, I meant that they could use what was left of the potion to figure out how to make more of it. Rosalee was talking about reverse engineering the potion from what was left of the stuff that Adalind used. The better and faster way would have been for them to scrape off what was left of the potion that Truble spilled, find out the ingredients in it, try to remake it and use Nick as the guinea pig.

But this is a TV show, and a supernatural TV show, so maybe, IDK, but maybe Juliette will drink some of the Grimming potion and become one too, or maybe she'll be having sex with Nick during one of his migraine-vision swaps with Adalind, after which Juliette will magically become a Hexenbeist. I hope neither of those happen, but bigger sharks have been jumped on TV, and I almost think such a transformation would be preferable to her staying in a situation where she will continually be subjected to violent attacks by those wanting to hurt NIck because he's a Grimm.

It's only going to get worse from here. I  mean Nick's dad died because he was married to a Grimm. It should have been clear to any fool by now that a Grimm's life is not normal or peaceful. Hence the many people (Aunt Marie, Truble, Monroe etc.) telling Nick that it's best to be single. I just hope that we don't get to season 5 and something happens to their house and Juliette complains and Nick offers to sleep on the couch. They could maybe make her a royal, integrate her into the wesen world, give her a story on the side that's got nothing to do with relationship drama. Maybe that would make her more watchable.

Just everything about this character bugs me right now:

Juliette: She (Trubel)  is too much like you

Nick with a solemn face: Not anymore

Juliette: *smiles*

Like really? I don't know if it's bad directing, bad writing or bad acting. Can't they at the least show her to be conflicted about the whole thing or have conversations between the two of them where they honestly talk about what they both want. When they show Hank and Renard be more sensitive towards how Nick is feeling than his girlfriend, I am not sure what they are trying to tell the audience here.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 1

How is Juliette choosing to stay with the Nick the equivalent of a battered woman staying with her abuser?   First of all, Nick is not an abuser.    Second of all, all cops and firefighters and military people face dangers in their jobs.   Should they all stay single because no one would should stand by them through the difficulties of their jobs?    Third, she has the knowledge of what is going on and has proven herself capable of protecting herself (hello Ogre meet hot water).    It would be choosing to stay and share this difficult life with him knowing it is dangerous, rather than being so psychologically beaten down and financially dependent you feel you have no choice.   

Juliette should have talked to Nick about how he needs time to think about what is happening.   Not gone to Rosalee and Monroe to tell them what she thinks Nick needs.   But again, she is making the decisions as usual and Nick better just go along with it if he knows whats good for him.

• Love 8

My bigger issue with why they have to tell Wu is that it is pointlessly cruel to a person neither Nick nor Hank have never ever had any negative feelings toward. With Renard in the hospital and Wu with actual evidence that they are protecting a murder suspect, they have no one to protect them if Wu goes higher up. If they continue to lie to Wu for much longer, their relationship with Wu will be irreparably broken. And he'll be that much more receptive when people like the Royals come calling and offering "the truth." The latter would make a halfway decent storyline, but I have every faith that these writers would cock it up.

• Love 3

I liked Trubel last year, but this year she just annoys me.  They told her to wait for them, but of course she went skulking off and followed the guy and got grabbed.  I know waiting for the guys to come pick her up isn't exciting television, and I guess she's just a kid who doesn't listen to the adults, but it still bothers me.  She like a character in a horror movie who thinks going into the dark room in the scary old house is a good idea--and you know it won't end well.

I liked Trubel last year, but this year she just annoys me.  They told her to wait for them, but of course she went skulking off and followed the guy and got grabbed.  I know waiting for the guys to come pick her up isn't exciting television, and I guess she's just a kid who doesn't listen to the adults, but it still bothers me.  She like a character in a horror movie who thinks going into the dark room in the scary old house is a good idea--and you know it won't end well.

Yeah, but thanks to the writers it worked out well.  She's apparently freed from her demons, and the bad guy is in no shape to continue to suck memories.

Love the horror movie reference.  Always laugh when the list of 'things NOT to do when you're in a horror movie" comes into play.

I can't ever claim something is out of character for Juliet since, IMO, they never made any attempt to define this character to begin with. She's just a generic cipher played by an alarmingly talent-deficient, vapid, perpetual deer-in-headlights actress. I totally get being relieved that Nick being in a relationship means we're spared the usual 'romantic interest of the week' stuff, but Juliet herself has always been a total miss as a character for me.

I still like Monroe, but he he used to be so much more interesting to me, and I really miss him interacting more with Nick.   

• Love 5

And, yes, Wu is the Gladys Kravitz of the show at this point.

LOL. The problem is, it's not quite as simple as just telling Wu what's going on. He's already been in the mental hospital after seeing one Wesen, and Hank really started to lose it too back when he first saw a Wesen. There's a good chance Wu could wind up right back in the mental ward.

I've noticed Wu is now in the opening title sequence (he hasn't been until now), so I think he's been promoted a bit, and suspect they're going to give him a separate plot thread where he figures this all out on his own.

I agree it's really too late for Nick to just live a normal, non-Grimm life. Too many people already know he's a Grimm, which puts him in danger to begin with. Not having his Grimm abilities puts him in even graver danger, especially if some of those Wesen find out.

• Love 1

You all have made wonderful comments and observations.  I pretty much agree with everything stated.  I will add though that I think the story line surrounding Nick getting back his powers (no spoilers...just reasoning) could be really interesting.  I like the twist of the hexenbeist migraines.  I also like that Adaline is paying a price for what she did.  I see a lot of potential for the rest of the season-Trubel (please show, start calling her Teresa) could add many elements of plot and especially if she is related to Nick.  Juliette needs to just...find someone who is not a Grimm and go off and be happy while off screen.  

• Love 1

The Feds doing a daylight snatch in a residential area?  Because a big ol' van with masked folk running around and grabbing a young woman on a bike happens so often? Plus, Agent Chavez didn't cover her face at all and was sitting shotgun ( as it were)!

I am sure that was Steinadler Chavez, not Agent Chavez pulling off the snatch.

Remember her reporting in after woging in front of Nick, and seeing nothing in Nick's eyes?

The question is: whose side is she on; what is her agenda?

Grabbing a Grimm was obviously Step 1.

Separately, Sucky's boss is still out there. 

• Love 1

What was that photo that Wu had of Trubel?  I noticed Juliette didn't look too happy when she picked it up and saw it.  I wonder what that is all about. 

That incident in the spice shop seemed completely pointless and unnecessary.  Who cares if Rosalee finds a cure?  There is nothing written in stone saying that Nick must take it if he (not Juliette) decides he wants to remain de-Grimmed.  I've never been Juliette's biggest fan, but I haven't quite boarded the hate train either, but it seems like that scene was designed just to make Juliette look selfish (and it did).  Obviously it was put there because they need to give Monroe and Rosalee screen time, which brings me to my next point…

I'm enjoying the inclusion of Trubel so far, but I don't want it to be at the expense of Monroe.  It seems like he and Rosalee are getting sidelined this season so we can spend more time on Trubel, and that I do not like!  We are, however, only 2 episodes in, so hopefully that won't continue to be the case.

• Love 2

I can't ever claim something is out of character for Juliet since, IMO, they never made any attempt to define this character to begin with. She's just a generic cipher played by an alarmingly talent-deficient, vapid, perpetual deer-in-headlights actress. I totally get being relieved that Nick being in a relationship means we're spared the usual 'romantic interest of the week' stuff, but Juliet herself has always been a total miss as a character for me.

I still like Monroe, but he he used to be so much more interesting to me, and I really miss him interacting more with Nick.   

Oh my, yes.  You're speaking the words to the song of my people! 

Can we just have Juliet get eaten by a Wendigo?  Or, since it's almost Christmas, maybe we could have a Krampus stick her in a bag and tie her in the top of a tree somewhere far far away for the rest of the season?  

I'm ready to add Teresa's character to the cast of characters I'd like to keep, and it looks like Renard's mom may be another fun BAMF to keep around.  Bring Nick's mom back, clue Wu in, give me lots of Monroe, kill off Adalind and all the Royals, leave Renard around to walk through a scene shirtless once in a while and I'll be one happy Grimm fan. 

As this episode demonstrates, the show is at its best when we have a core group of fierce wessen fighters working together to eliminate a threat to humanity.   The show fails when it continually manufactures conflict and drama between the main cast.   More supernatural action hero stuff --- let Nick continue to develop his Grimm superpowers (some of the fast motion Matrix-like fighting scenes, both hand-to-hand combat and with archaic weaponry, have been fantastic).  Instead the show keeps giving us neutered Nick and lots of repetitive soap opera sub-plot. 

• Love 4

Speaking of that cell, did anyone get Rumplestiltskin vibes from the giggling voice? Or was that giggling voice the cause of the Migraine of Far-viewing?

Yes, very much so.  If this is where they are going, whoever they bring on to be "Rumpy" - I am unspoiled so this is all just speculation - will have to compete with Robert Carlisle's version on Once Upon a Time.  Very much shades of Rumpelstiltskin, though, what with girl being thrown into dungeon, a king is involved somewhere, there's some straw on the floor and a giggly voice that doesn't want to reveal its name.  Very fairy tale, so I do love that part even though this royals storyline has been overall seriously flawed.

Whoa, hexenbeists can freeze time like Hiro on Heroes?

Stuff like this gives Adalind even less excuse to be such a screwup of a villain.  Yes, she does get some evil deeds done but often needs bailing out by others (like the yummy Meissner) or she relies on pure happenstance.  Now she again needs bailing out and is suffering unexpected side effects from the spell she cast and wasn't prepared for.  Renard's mother, OTOH, is kickass so far and seems to know her stuff.

• Love 1

It looks like they are sidelining Rosalee and MOnroe again this season.   Last season they had their own separate storylines going.   Nick would show up for one conversation to chat about the WOW, then go do his thing.    I liked it better when it was the group of them having dinner together and discussing what to do.   Then everyone had a part to play in the plan.   You can add characters like Theresa, Wu and Renard's mother with no loss to anyone that way.   But if everyone has a separate storyline, you lose out on seeing people.

• Love 1

remember, the story or the city still needs some normal people who aren't wesen or members of royalty. The idea is that they are supposed to be rare, and it is against the rules of woge in a way visible to normal people. If everyone is in on the secret, then they wouldn't have to hide themselves. Or at least they'd need to bring in more normals into the storylines.

I am really loving Theresa (apart from the ridiculous nickname), and I have from the start, but she just keeps getting better and better. Honestly, everything about her from the actor to the backstory to the personality... I actually find her more compelling, sympathetic and relateable than Nick! She's definitely one of the high points of the episodes lately. Even when the actor's line deliveries seem flat, there's that sense of guardedness that comes with it that gives her some added dimension. Whereas Nick is, frankly, often just bland. He's certainly not enough to keep me watching without help from great characters like Theresa, Monroe and Rosalee.

And Adalind. Oh, Adalind. I remember last season, I was watching this show at the same time as Orphan Black. And on Orphan Black, Sarah's daughter was taken away by an unknown, powerful and probably hostile organization, and she didn't sit around and whine about it. She started legit kicking ass and taking names, moving heaven and earth to get her child back, and teaching those who took her why you never mess with Sarah Manning's family, having no powers beyond her own smarts and determination to do it! Then I would flip to Grimm, and Adalind, a powerful and resourceful Hexenbeast, was in the very same situation, but seemed able to do nothing but scream hysterically at anyone who would listen to give her back her baby! By comparison, she was pretty damn pathetic, and I'm not sure it was only by comparison. It makes it really hard to care about what happens to her, to the point where I wish her whole storyline would just go away. It should be a step in the right direction, but honestly, I'm not looking forward to the exploration of the connection she now seems to have with Nick.

• Love 2

I am sure that was Steinadler Chavez, not Agent Chavez pulling off the snatch.

Remember her reporting in after woging in front of Nick, and seeing nothing in Nick's eyes?

The question is: whose side is she on; what is her agenda?

Grabbing a Grimm was obviously Step 1....

I wonder if she was reporting to Victor confirming Adalind's success? Speaking of, when Victor had the line about "Shagging a Grimm " I was waiting for the "Yeah baby." For some odd reason, I really need Mama Grimm to meet Trubel. They'd probably exchange 3 words and get to decapitating. Anyone else feel a little squeamish over Nick using Trubel's really horrible upbringing as his cover story? I know it makes sense story-wise but it felt like needlessly painting Trubel as a victim. He could have said she picked up self defense living on the streets.

I'm liking Trubel quite a bit, if not that stupid nickname.

It helps that with the current storylines requiring them to explain her presence to others, they keep needing to call her Teresa (ie with FBI lady and Wu). Those scenes of calling her Teresa go a long way in diminishing my ire about the stupid nickname. Like maybe they might backtrack on it entirely. A gal can dream...

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 3

Looks like Viktor is old school -- a dungeon complete with rats. Of course.

Our castle is infested with the finest rats of impeccable breeding. Some of them can trace their ancestry to Hamlin town of old.

I liked Trubel last year, but this year she just annoys me.  They told her to wait for them, but of course she went skulking off and followed the guy and got grabbed.  

If she hadn't followed him, he would have got the information he wanted and probably got away. Her original plan was to just take him out Grimm style at the hotel, where she would have had all the advantages, but they didn't let her do that. Once she called them from the corner, I don't know why she didn't stay on the line and keep giving them updates. They could have had things play out about the same and let Team Grimm seem a little smarter.

Once they lost Trubel, I thought they should have split up, leave Nick to search Trubel's last known location while Hank went back to the hotel. That would have been a better plan and left Nick in a position to get there quickly more plausibly once Hank found the address. (And what spy leaves an address lying around in their room?). The ending needed a little tightening, is what I'm saying.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 2

How is Juliette choosing to stay with the Nick the equivalent of a battered woman staying with her abuser? First of all, Nick is not an abuser....

I think you misunderstood. I was thinking more an analogy than an equivalency. Maybe I worded it wrong. Hopefully the bold parts clarify:

...It's not emotional blackmail to be upset that people have invaded your home countless times, poisoned you, put you in a coma, forced you into a weird love spell thingie with a guy you don't like, pretended to be you, and tricked your partner into sex....

...if Nick decides to try to be re-Grimmed, and if it is successfully done, Juliette staying with him would be tantamount to a battered woman staying with the batterer, not because Nick is in any way a batterer, but because living with a Grimm clearly results in all kinds of attacks on those he cares for....
Edited by shapeshifter