Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: Black Hole Sun

When Damon and Bonnie realize that uncovering a time in Damon’s past may provide clues to finding their way home, Damon is forced to relive one of the worst days of his life. After an awkward run-in with Jo at the hospital, Alaric steps in to help Jeremy get his life together and cope with the loss of Bonnie. Elsewhere, Stefan attempts to show Elena what it’s like to start over and create a new identity, while an unsuspecting Matt finds himself in a disturbing situation when Tripp lets him in on a dark secret. Lastly, Stefan, who is desperate to regain some normalcy in his life, is stunned when an unexpected visitor shows up.
  • Love 1

I thought this was the best episode of the season. I like Damon/Bonnie more every episode. Him sticking up for her even when they were fighting is beautiful. I can't wait to see them when they get back to the regular world. I hate to love Damon, but Ian makes me. Damn those expressive eyes of his! Kai was creepy. Kudos to the actor.

Are we really going to act like that was the worst thing Damon's ever done?

I wanted grungier 90s Stefan. I've been waiting five years for those flashbacks! Stefan and Elena one-upping each other in the proposal was hilarious. Why do they only reinvent themselves every 30 years? I figure they'd be good for 10 or 12 tops. I don't think it'd be any easier for me to buy Paul Wesley as 47 than 17. I loved the Alaric/Jeremy conversation and the acknowledgment of just how twisted their lives are.

Didn't miss Caroline, and Liz looked surprisingly believable as 20 years younger. I like seeing Damon liked her even then.

Are Gilberts genetically predispositioned to fall for Salvatores or what?

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 1

That was Liz? I briefly thought about it but said, nah can't be.

I liked this episode, Kai is a sick bastard hopefully he gets killed soon. Really love the Bonnie/Damon stuff and enjoyed the flashback to Damon/Stefan 15 years ago. I was happy to see Jeremy actually mention that Bonnie is always sacrificing herself or being sacrificed for her friends greater good.  

The Stefan/Elena stuff was fun, Elena didn't bother me at all, I hope we keep well adjusted Elena for awhile but I expect angsty stuff will happen once Damon gets back. I missed Caroline and Enzo not Tyler. Im not happy the girlfriend is a vampire. 

• Love 3

I really don't want Bonnie and Damon getting back to the present any time soon. I'm just enjoying the heck out of their relationship.

Still couldn't care less about Elena or Stefan when he's with Elena. And what's with the new doctor / love interest for Alaric? Didn't we already do this with him? 

• Love 1

I really enjoyed basically all of this episode! Bonnie and Damon was my favorite of course, but I actually enjoyed the hell out of Elena and Stefan, and it's been a long time since I could say that. I feel like their relationship feels more honest and relaxed now.

I hated to see more bad Damon stuff even though it's legit. I enjoy Damon more when he is protective and snarky like he was with Bonnie. I an probably not going to enjoy this revenge thing with the daughter but I guess I don't have to worry about that yet!

Kai is a piece of work.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 3

Oh boy.  The Bamon ship just keeps on ticking.  I wondered last week why Damon felt compelled to make Bonnie pancakes.  It was great to see him defend Bonnie and call her Bon Bon.  LOVED seeing Liz twenty years ago.  That was almost worth the price of admission.  I just wish she had more to do, though.  A brief glimpse of Enzo without lines is the way I can take him.  I have never liked Stefan, however, I am starting to.  It is looking like he is finally voicing some of his issues with Elena - far from all - and a miracle happened.  I enjoyed Elena and Stefan together.  Who'd have thought?  I appreciated that Ric told her that he has his hands full.  Damon should have kept his mouth shut about betraying Kai and just betrayed him when they get home.  I appreciate how they made Kai so evil he made Damon look less un-virtuous.  OK, so there was a massacre in 1994.  What happened in the 50s at the boarding house?

• Love 1

Bonnie's overalls!

Aleric's 'I get pain' speech!

New guy pretending to snore at the evil Damon near pregnant woman plot hint!

No witch and Tyler boringness!

Damon hitting on 1994 Liz!

Several lines from Malacai and Damon made me laugh.

Paul Welsey didn't seem bored and got his butt kicked.

I think the writers are on fire this year.

I still can't be bothered to keep track of the chronicle of brother pain. And I don't really get how we got from 1994 to today's 'Stefan is devastated to lose his brother' angst, But of all the things the guys have done to one another, Stefan calling Damon out on his neediness felt cruel.

• Love 5

Kai is a piece of work.

Right? Kai and Klaus should have a 'who's the biggest psycho' contest. Kai might win considering the sick bastard did something even Klaus balked at.

Please keep Elena like she is, Show. The fact Elena tried to help Stefan without making it about herself made her a more worthwhile character than she's been in years! She gets extra brownie points for making me laugh during Stefan's ever escalating marriage proposal.

Alaric and Jeremy's heart to heart reminded me how much I liked Alaric as the Gilbert kids' surrogate parent back in the day.

I should have figured the new girl was the baby sooner, but it was a nice surprise. It's certainly better than her being Bonnie's half-sister.

Not buying Stefan's girlfriend being a vampire. I mean, obviously she's been turned, but it reeks of a retcon to mitigate Enzo's assholery.

I wish there had been more Bonnie, Damon, and psycho killer Kai, because he's a twisted little bastard, but I still enjoyed this episode.

• Love 5

Add me to the crowd less than thrilled with vampire girlfriend... everybody on this show doesn't have to be a vampire, you know...

I did like the Elena/Stefen stuff... or rather that we are finally getting something from Stefen about how he is really handling losing Damon. I also liked his telling Elena the whole truth about her and Damon. I guess the love triangle is officially and completely dead... at least I'd fricken hope so. I liked Stefen and Elena as a couple a lot in the beginning, but I'm over it... and I do really like Stefen, so I'd rather see him completely over Elena and finding something good with someone else... something more than a rando girlfriend who is afraid staying for breakfast is too serious.

I'm loving Damon and Bonnie stuck in the 90's... but Kai is a mega twerp! in addition to be a psychopath. It is interesting that he's tied to the Gemini coven that Enzo was going on about... I guess they were on a right track, even if it wasn't getting them anywhere.

Of course Damon had another terrible thing that he did.. but wasn't that his plan? That he was going to keep messing up Stefen's life for eternity? Makes sense that it would get taken out on Uncle Nephew Zach. It is interesting, though, that everything that's happened in MF and with Elena has moved Damon past his desire for perpetual revenge on Stefen and they've reformed that brotherly bond that we saw in the human flashbacks way back when.

Alaric was great this week as well, I'm glad he's kicking Jeremy in the butt a little bit.

Didn't miss Tyler a bit this week.

Edited by Jjrmt
  • Love 3

Wow. That was a really good episode. Kai is a formidable villain, far better than Klaus. Holy shit. Colour me impressed TVD. Bamon and Stelena as the day is long. They are in a sitch with Kai, he is craaaaazytown and some kind of evil mastermind. They are so screwed.

I like this version of Elena and I respect her decision, I am down, and the Jeremy/Alaric talk/fight was quite wonderful. Good job show. Good job.

ETA I loved the cover of Power of Love, and the way it framed the choice Elena made (again) to choose herself. Loved it! Loved her love letter to herself. Glad Ivy is back as well. Wonderful show! More of this! 

And yet another post script, I could watch Stefan snap Damon's neck all-freaking-day.

And yet another, I just realized that if 1994 is a prison then it was created for Kai and Damon was sent there too meaning Bonnie holding Damon's hand condemned her to an other-side afterlife jail of sorts. Poor Bon Bon, never before has holding hands had such a high and horrible cost. Geez.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 5

That was actually a good episode. Liked the call backs to early seasons when the show was good. Stefan & Elena, Zack, Damon & Stefan scenes. 

This show works much better when they focus on what worked in early seasons. Instead of forcing Delena. 

So new girl is a Salvatore. She'll be in love with Elena in 2 minutes. Wait till she finds out cousin-uncle Damon killed her mother. Elena will probably make excuses for poor Damon.

• Love 4

Fun episode. I always like it when we see the Salvatore brothers together. It's the backbone of the show for me. Although, that scene where Stefan basically verbally skinned Damon was pretty harsh. All true but, ouch.

I'm not really loving this Elena nonsense. It seems like she's saying "choose yourself, Elena", but what she's actually doing is burying her head in the sand. That's not how to be brave, Elena. That's what children do. Grow up, learn to deal with your emotions like an adult and move the fuck on. Seriously.

I like Kai, He's annoying yet amusing, cute yet creepy. He's a perfect VD villain, but I hope he doesn't stick around too long.  My one big issue with TVD the last few years has been their failure to know when enough is enough with characters. Keep him small but creepy, and then dispose of him.

Overall, I'm loving S6. I don't think it's necessarily an absence of DE that's making the show better though; I just think the writers have realised that back to roots is the best course and that's what they're doing. Romance can still exist in the show. I just hope it doesn't take over the show like before.

• Love 5

Add me to the crowd less than thrilled with vampire girlfriend... everybody on this show doesn't have to be a vampire, you know...

I'm not thrilled at all, is the fact that Enzo made her drink his blood supposed to mean he's not a bad guy?

I hated Klaus, & I'm not liking Kai any better. I don't like mustache twirling villains which he's turning out to be & the scenes with Damon were the same kind of thing. I don't want to have to watch Damon & Bonnie & Kai in the prison for the rest of the season.

After all that Elena angst "if you don't take my memories of Damon I'll be dangerous!" Stefan says you loved Damon, Elena. Alaric gives her something to read, & that's it? She OK now? What bullshit.

Loved every minute of that episode! And oh hey, Vampire Ivy. I surprised myself by being quite glad to see her, but I'd put money on her going down the same vampiric route as Vicki Donovan.

Adored Stefan in this episode; this was just how I like him - snarky yet truthful, and slightly self-destructive. His flashback talk with Damon was kind of ouch (and Ian S did a great job of showing how much that hurt Damon whilst simultaneously trying to hide it), and it was good to have him showing his grief for Damon and sum up why, through everything, he loves him. I was also glad that he told Elena about her compulsion, and credit to her for a) not freaking out quite as much as I thought she would, and b) taking her own written advice and choosing to see how things go - I'm also one of the ones liking Elena as she is right now. Also, the marriage proposal was cute. Especially the "bullfighting injuries".

Damon and Bonnie are still a killer combo, and Kai is just a killer. I like that Kai's so completely beyond remorse and redemption though; that was what I always wanted from Klaus. He's so bad that his own coven made an alternate reality just so it could be his prison, and now Bamon have no choice but to keep him around. Hee. I also loved seeing Uncle Zach again, and it's good that the Salvatore line carries on (even if it's someone as annoying as Sarah).

Alaric's tough love with Jeremy was wonderful, and thank you, show, for finally acknowledging that Alaric bottles up all the crap that he's had to deal with in life, but it's still there under the surface - that's just his way of dealing with it. Hopefully Jeremy can find his own way to deal with his, as much as anything so he's spared the stomach pumps and STD tests in hospital. 

Tripp's story about his wife quite reminded me of Alaric seeing Isobel killed in front of him - hope those two get scenes together at some point. And how does Enzo keep his hair looking quite so perfect even though he's in captivity?

Well done, show.

• Love 2

I liked it! 

I'm now hoping Damon and Bonnie stay stuck in 1994 forever because their scenes together are just the best! 

Stefan telling Elena about the compulsion was absolutely great.  Alaric giving Jeremy a swift kick was great.  Liz Forbes in 1994 was hilariously great.

Seeing nephew uncle Zach again was a surprise.  I don't care about Sarah but maybe she'll become less annoying, doubtful I know, but I can hope.

This season has been so much better than last season in just a few episodes - I've got that hope thing going on here that it continues to be better although the bar from Season 5 is pretty low.

Kai is going to be a long-term problem, isn't he? 

• Love 1

Oh! One more thing. Although I'm sure I'm going to hate this storyline, I loved that Jeremy told that girl "your father is zac Salvatore" immediately. No hiding if. Also, this means Damon and Stefan have more family now. So if we can not have a quest to kill Damon, this could be pretty sweet. I think Damon would be much fonder of this pretty girl family whose mom like pancakes than he was of zach Salvatore.

Also I'm confused, was the mom dead when Stefan brought her to the hospital? Could blood not have saved her if she wasn't? If so, why didn't Stefan save her and if she was really completely dead all that time how would the baby survive?

Oh and I loved that Bonnie realized he was making her guilt ridden pancakes.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 1
Are we really going to act like that was the worst thing Damon's ever done?

It feels like every time they give Damon a flashback, it's The Worst Thing Ever according to either Damon or Stefan. Considering how many humans he has killed, how is killing his cousin-uncle's girlfriend even in the top 10? I mean, it's not nice or anything but Damon really thinks that is the worst thing he's done? Not killing Jeremy in front of Elena? Not pretending to let Bonnie die in front of Elena? Not falling in love with his brother's girlfriend? Not compelling Caroline and Andi to be his girlfriends? Not killing his brother's best friend?

Are we sure that Sarah is really Zach's daughter? For some reason, I assumed that Gail was already pregnant when she began staying at the boarding house. I really thought Trip was going to be revealed as Sarah's father.

I loved Alaric parenting Jeremy again. To me that was much better than all this stuff with him compelling Elena and then telling her that he compelled her. Ha, I found it hilarious that Elena knew it was just a matter of time before someone told her about the compelling so she had already written her future self a letter about it. I also loved that it was Stefan, not Caroline, who spilled the beans. I thought it was so sweet that Stefan had Damon's car hidden in the garage. Awwwww!

I did have a moment during the Alaric/Jeremy talk in the woods when I thought okay, yes, Alaric's series of tragic events is sad but if you look at the amount of loss Jeremy has suffered in his very young life, I think he has Alaric beat. His parents were killed, Jenna was killed, Alaric was killed, he found out that his sister is really his cousin, his first girlfriend Vicki was killed, his second girlfriend Anna was killed and then was haunting him, his third girlfriend Bonnie just died, Jeremy himself died more than once, he was shipped off to Denver, he found out he was a vampire hunter, he died AGAIN - he has had a rough couple of years.

I actually thought that they hired a younger actress to play flashback Liz but when they did a closeup, I realized that it was Liz in a wig. Damn, girl!

Where have Bonnie and Damon been getting all their grungy 90s clothes? Bonnie's overall shorts (also known as shortalls) with only one strap was so 90s!

I think the reason I have enjoyed Bonnie and Damon in the 90s so much is that it's a new storyline, unlike the endless rehash of the Stefan/Elena/Damon stuff (and I don't mean just the triangle but all of the retread with the Stefan/Damon resentment/making up).

Kai is straight up crazy and homicidal, gleeful about killing his own siblings and ready to take Bonnie and Damon down. I agree that I hope the show doesn't go overboard with Kai as the new big bad. Small doses, show. Do not let him become the next Klaus who is a one note whiner and just bugs the crap out of me.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 4

The second I saw Zach's pregnant girlfriend (or was it wife?) I immediately said "ah so that is who Sarah is, Zach's daughter." I was glad to see Zach again and thought the flashbacks to 1994 were great, totally did NOT recognize Liz at first but lol'd when I finally realized who she was and that Damon was flirting with her. Can't really believe that boardinghouse eclipse murder party that Damon held was THE worst thing he's ever done...maybe it was the worst thing that he did that month? ;-)

Man, how evil and fucked up does a person have to be for his own coven to condemn him to Purgatory. I haven't liked Kai from the start although I think the actor is doing a great job portraying the character. I think he's Klaus-levels of evil and crazy, hopefully he won't overstay his welcome on TVD like Klaus did. Still not sure how Damon and his Bon Bon will escape Purgatory without him though.

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of Elena bouncing between Stefan and Damon so I was glad to see her, or thought I saw her, decide to move on. The Stefan and Elena scenes seemed lighter and I actually enjoyed watching them. It's been a while since I said that!

Not particularly feeling Ivy's return as a vampire unless we get to see Tripp burn her alive (and why exactly did Enzo feed her his blood?? ). Speaking of Tripp, I continue to enjoy his presence in MF. I'm really hoping he doesn't hop on the Salvatore and Elena Vampire Lurve Train but continues to kill vampires indiscriminately as a founding family descendant. I find Enzo cute but won't be surprised if he ends up chained  in the back of Tripp's van when Tripp lets the sun in.

I've been waiting for Alaric to return to his supportive role for the Gilbert kids, I loved his scenes with Jeremy, that boy really needs someone to guide him and teach him and for me that person is Alaric. Love!

• Love 1

Oh Jesus tap dancing Christ and can they puh-leeze stop with Dalena hagiography. And making poor Stefan do it? I needed a bucket. Thank goodness I get to hold on to New Old Elena for a bit longer, remember that line about how  you defined yourself by a dude and one who was a horrible person, let that light the way in the dark.

• Love 1

I don`t know, the only storyline I feel invested in is still Damon, Bonnie and evil Kai in 1994.  They are golden. The flashbacks were a bit overdramatic with the "worst thing ever". Seriously? The teenage members of our gang, the ones who don`t share Damon and Stefan`s past as mass murderer, have done things that would qualify for me. And I think Damon did worse. Just as Stefan did.

Didn`t expect Elena to know about the compulsion. However, I can`t give her points for her "I choose me" thing. Right now, it isn`t difficult, it doesn`t take strengths. She knows about the feelings, she doesn`t FEEL them - that makes a world of difference. The compulsion was a coward`s choice and continuing to use this as an easy out is just more of the same to me. Every single character is supposed to go on with their grief on their own, with no magic do-over. Even Jeremy is supposed to show more strength than is expected of Elena.

A woman choosing herself and find herself, not be defined by guys - good thing. But if you have to magically zombify half your brain to make that happen and are otherwise not strong enough? Pfft.

Did Stefan imply in his speech that he loved Damon because Damon made him own the darkest parts of himself? Since he said that is what Damon did for Elena and they loved him for the same reason? Because honestly, that has always been my biggest problem with Stefan`s character, that I don`t think he ever owned the darkest parts of himself. He named that part "ripper" and "him" and detached from it and I never once saw him putting that mindset to rest. It`s why I thought him and Elena never fit because her personality is such that she enables that mindset. They drove me bonkers with feeding that attitude I disliked in them both.    

Ivy being a vampire? Don`t know, the character was so blank slate before, I didn`t exactly have a burning desire to see her back. To be honest, I don`t care much for Sarah and her soon-to-come vengeance quest either.

Poor Alaric, back from the dead and back to taking care of the super-high-maintenance Gilberts.

• Love 1

So when the other side went away everyone there moved on to their own personal purgatory? Kai said it was his hell yet the repeating day is significant for only Damon. So whose hell is it? I thought it was weird that Grams sent Bonnie to that particular place/time...Makes me curious where Grams intended to send Bonnie. 

ETA: Good grammar is hard to come by

Edited by tricknasty
  • Love 1

I don't think that was Grams intention at all. They held hands, like I was saying, it fucked it up IMO.

Anyone know what the "ratings" were for last night? Curious.

Edited by slayer2

Back in Season One (when the show was so much better), I wouldn’t have said this, but now, I want Damon/Bonnie, Elena/New Guy, and Stefan/Caroline.

I think Damon being with Bonnie screwed up Grams plan for Bonnie.

I wonder if this is a test for Damon and Bonnie.  Will Damon offer to keep Malakai in “hell” with him so Bonnie can return home?

Alaric telling Jeremy he kind of misses Damon was sweet.

Edited by TigerLynx

I found it hard to think that Damon's hell is because that day he killed a bunch of people in Mystic Falls and he feels guilty for it.  I don't think it was the worst day for Damon, after all, he's a vampire and he's killed hundreds of people already before.  How could it be the worse day ever for him?  Was it because after killing everyone, Damon knew that Stefan will never have that road trip with him?  Wow, was it that awful that Stefan rejected him yet again?  I still don't understand why Damon said this hell was the worse day of his life.

Kai is an evil sonabitch and I hope he's killed off soon.  But damn, was he entertaining or what?  So he can channel Bonnie's power by touching her.  Why can't he then use Bonnie to magic himself away and leave Damon behind?  Well, Kai is kinda batshit crazy.  I guess he just wants companionship after getting stuck in "hell" all these years.

I was pleased that there was lots of Stefan in this episode.  So he pick bar fights to relieve his pain of losing Damon?  Interesting.  Elena was pretty good.  I like the conversation between Stefan and Elena.  Gosh, Elena is a real sweet friendly girl without all that angst eh?

• Love 1

I know they kept saying it was the worst thing Damon's ever done but I get the impression it's more about the thing he feels is the worst thing he's ever done.  It seemed to be more about his guilt/remorse over killing the pregnant lady.  Not sure if I'm making sense but in essence Damon could have slaughtered an entire orphanage of strangers (which would have been arguably worse) but he feels more guilt/remorse and self hatred over killing Zack's wife/child and giving Stefan the final push that weigh more heavily on him, so he feels it's the worse thing he's ever done.

At least that's how I interpreted the whole thing.

• Love 3

This reminds me of an episode of Supernatural, where Sam's version of heaven includes reliving the day he walked out on John and Dean. Dean is horrified because he remembers it as one of the worst days of his own life. I think the writers were trying to convey something like, that Damon felt here was where he finally went too far and drove Stefan too far away. I don't know how convincing it was, but I think that's what the writers were trying for, when Damon himself considers something to be the worst day of his life/worst thing he's ever done, not necessarily what anyone else would consider the worst from him.

• Love 6

Did I get it right and did Stefan list "migrant worker" as one of his previous occupations? Was that by any chance in Monterrey because BURN.

Even Klaus back in the day fangirled over that time the Ripper ate an entire migrant village and it was repeated often enough in the show that I thought it was either the writers have forgotten or some deeply black humour.

• Love 1

While I liked this episode okay and certainly better than a lot of last season, I'm pretty meh about the whole thing.

I don't see any special chemsitry between Bonnie and Damon that hasn't always been there and the 90's stuff is annoying. I mean who ever thought half cliped overalls was stylish? Even if they would wear 90's clothes Bonnie was a toddler then how would she know to half clip them?

This mind compulsion wearing off story is so full of holes it annoys me. I mean we personally know how many times Liz and Matt plus Jeremy were mind controled. You don't think they would have long ago realized mind control got erased?It's been 4 months since the town lost it's magic. Think of all the things Caroline erased from Liz's mind or the details of the trama Vickie's death caused Jeremy?

Elena was shocked about two minor interactions with Damon coming back to her, yet Jeremy and Liz weren't the least surprised they remembered tramatic things from the past they never knew before?

I did love Alaric and Jeremy though not really feelin' his new love interest.

I like Stefan when he acts like this but to me this is normally how someone would act. He is acting more like Damon without killing people. I really liked him telling Elena the truth. My big thing with Stefan is why is pretending to be someone new mean getting involved with humans? If you can only spend a few years in any one place it seems kind of mean to build up a life with a human just to either have to leave them or turn them eventally. That part of Stefan's plans bugs me.

I thought the reason Damon was guilty about 1994 wasn't so much killing a pregnant woman b/c we gotta expect Ripper Stefan has probably killed more than one plus probably kids. I thought it was more about pushing Stefan so far that he lost all respect and love for Damon. It seemed the final straw that broke their bond to the point Stefan thought Damon was unfixable. So it took their relationship to where it was Season 1 when their hate was so strong.

How did bunny diet Stefan compel Zack? Bunny diet Stefan's compulsion wouldn't work properly.

• Love 2

Did I get it right and did Stefan list "migrant worker" as one of his previous occupations? Was that by any chance in Monterrey because BURN.

Even Klaus back in the day fangirled over that time the Ripper ate an entire migrant village and it was repeated often enough in the show that I thought it was either the writers have forgotten or some deeply black humour.

Well, everyone on this show forgets that Stefan is a more brutal killing machine than Damon. In this universe, if you regret what you've done, it's totes ok. Not surprised they forgot the migrant worker thing.

• Love 1

I did love Alaric and Jeremy though not really feelin' his new love interest.

I thought the reason Damon was guilty about 1994 wasn't so much killing a pregnant woman b/c we gotta expect Ripper Stefan has probably killed more than one plus probably kids. I thought it was more about pushing Stefan so far that he lost all respect and love for Damon. It seemed the final straw that broke their bond to the point Stefan thought Damon was unfixable. So it took their relationship to where it was Season 1 when their hate was so strong.

Yeah, I'm not really feeling Jo at the moment - also, is Alaric not allowed to take his eyes off her for a moment, even if its to look at a bleeding guy? Sheesh. And she calls herself "mildly insecure"?

I agree that there was even more to Damon's worst day than killing a pregnant woman (though obviously that's horrific enough) - as you say, it broke that bond with Stefan, it confirmed Damon's failure to be on the straight and narrow, and all the deaths he caused that day led to the town council being reformed and neither brother being able to return home for fifteen years. So it's pretty much the day he messed everything up for himself, Stefan, Zach, and the whole town.

• Love 5

he messed everything up for himself, Stefan, Zach, and the whole town

Stefan and himself, yes. Zach, also, though he couldn`t remember. But the town would have had people vigilant to vampire attacks. Which need not only come from a Salvatore. I`m guessing the town enjoyed a couple years of peace and tranquility back ten.

• Love 1

Did Stefan imply in his speech that he loved Damon because Damon made him own the darkest parts of himself? Since he said that is what Damon did for Elena and they loved him for the same reason? Because honestly, that has always been my biggest problem with Stefan`s character, that I don`t think he ever owned the darkest parts of himself. He named that part "ripper" and "him" and detached from it and I never once saw him putting that mindset to rest. It`s why I thought him and Elena never fit because her personality is such that she enables that mindset. They drove me bonkers with feeding that attitude I disliked in them both.

I actually think when Stefan said "you loved him for the same reason I did" he was referring to his next line: "because we couldn't live without him." But as for your other point, about him owning the darkest parts of himself, I do think Damon encourages that (for better or worse) in everyone around him. Not sure that's what Stefan or Elena "love" about him, but it is true. (I'm going to address the second part of this quote in the Stefan thread.)

• Love 1

Stefan and himself, yes. Zach, also, though he couldn`t remember. But the town would have had people vigilant to vampire attacks. Which need not only come from a Salvatore. I`m guessing the town enjoyed a couple years of peace and tranquility back ten.

I wonder if Zach did remember on some level. Before he was killed off in season one I seem to remember him saying that the reason he didn't start a family was because he didn't want the family vampire issue to get anyone else hurt (or something in that vein). Maybe on some very deep level he could still sense what happened?

So, killing a pregnant woman was the worst thing Damon ever did? Didn't he kill Zach too, eventually? I guess Damon doesn't do things half-assed. Nobody gets left behind! See also: the Whitmore clan.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm not really feeling Jo at the moment - also, is Alaric not allowed to take his eyes off her for a moment, even if its to look at a bleeding guy? Sheesh. And she calls herself "mildly insecure"?

That was so ridiculous. "Alaric, you shoul probably not be distracted by things like a huge bleeding head wound on a child if you want to date me. I require full attention". This is when I went from thinking ho hum to thinking she was ridiculous and not good enough for Alaric.

I'm not sure that Damon thinks that's the worst thing he ever did solely because he killed a pregnant woman ( I agree his relationship with Stefan and maybe something else is mixed in).

But I do think he feels significant guilt when he kills someone he likes and he clearly liked her. Sometime Damon snaps and does something In anger that he regrets later and it makes sense that this is one of those times. And the baby would have been his family. I could be very interested in his reaction to the grown up baby provided she is not trying to kill him. Maybe he woul apologize sincerely, like he has with Bonnie a time or two.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 2

I think killing a pregnant woman tops the list. Damon doesn't kill kids and that was a woman in his family and baby, his own niece for God's sake. If he wasn't feeling remorse than I'd be breaking off a chair leg right about then. Technically though, if I were Stefan I would have saved her with my blood and staked Damon right there. But maybe animal blood isn't strong enough or Stefan is just stupid.

This is why I've always preferred Damon (though I don't really like him either) Stefan talks a good game but is all bitch when it comes to defending his beliefs. Buffy would have staked him brother or not.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

The clothes they have chosen this season to cover up Elena's extra pounds are so hideous it's distracting.

I didn't care for her butting into Stefan's grieving process. At least he was willing to grieve! Soon as her mind gets wiped she gets all high and mighty on what is OK and what is not in the process of losing a loved one? The irony was less funny and more annoying.

I think my problem with Elena is she still seems like Katherine to me. The actress used to do such an excellent job of playing Katherine and Elena differently, and you could tell them apart by their inflections and expressions...And now it's all the same character. Elena never used to be nasally and smug with stupid come hither expressions. But vampire Elena is a cheap version of Katherine that we are supposed to see as one of the "good" ones, and the whole thing is a mess. I LOVED Katherine. I miss the days when I loved Elena. Every time she speaks with that weird sexy voice I just roll my eyes. The writers have done a wretched job with Elena- but the actress has not helped things by merging the two characters' traits either.

Honestly, I know Caroline can be judgmental, too, but at least she has always been that way. Even in season one she was sweet but brutally honest at the same time. And she always thought she knew the best way of doing all things, but she is still strong and loyal and nurturing. I hate that the vampire thing had to change Elena so much when it didn't change Caroline. 

Stefan told Elena he could see her again, that they could stay in touch. WHY couldn't he say that to Caroline? Caroline is hardly the reminder of dead brother that Elena would be.

I get that Bonnie would search for clothes in the drawers around town and find nineties outfits. But knowing to wear the overalls in that way was a bit much. 

Loving how Kai has brought out some protective instincts in Damon. And loving how blue plaid brings out Damon's eyes.

Jeremy is just like Vampire Elena. As long as we have known him he has had terrible coping skills. When things go wrong, he heads to the bottle. And then he gets destructive and sullen and mean. He is angry little season one Jeremy all over again. He might be bigger but he is not a day older.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 2

I get that Bonnie would search for clothes in the drawers around town and find nineties outfits. But knowing to wear the overalls in that way was a bit much. 

I actually could sort of see Damon doing it... like Bonnie show up in the overalls and Damon makes a little 'tsk tsk' and shakes his head...'you're doing it wrong" and then unhooks the one side. Damon would know all about 90s fashion... and that would have been kind of an adorable moment :)  I'm going to assume that's how it happened unless they show us otherwise.

• Love 2
I think my problem with Elena is she still seems like Katherine to me. The actress used to do such an excellent job of playing Katherine and Elena differently, and you could tell them apart by their inflections and expressions...And now it's all the same character. Elena never used to be nasally and smug with stupid come hither expressions. But vampire Elena is a cheap version of Katherine that we are supposed to see as one of the "good" ones, and the whole thing is a mess. I LOVED Katherine. I miss the days when I loved Elena. Every time she speaks with that weird sexy voice I just roll my eyes.

I noticed her voice more than anything. She has been using that verging on a vocal fry voice for Katherine but now she's using it for Elena too. It makes me want to tell her to take a deep breath and speak from her chest instead of her throat.

• Love 2

I actually could sort of see Damon doing it... like Bonnie show up in the overalls and Damon makes a little 'tsk tsk' and shakes his head...'you're doing it wrong" and then unhooks the one side. Damon would know all about 90s fashion... and that would have been kind of an adorable moment :) I'm going to assume that's how it happened unless they show us otherwise.

That'd be cute, I'm all for seeing it. Barring that, there's the internet, TV, movies, old reruns of Saved by The Bell. I wasn't around in the '50s but I know exactly how they dressed, it's not out of the ordinary. She probably knew all the songs too. Music was better back then IMO, people have been covering songs and videos of the 90's forever. You don't have to be born in the '70s or '80s to know who Kurt Cobain is.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

I didn't think Nina was doing the Katherine voice here, it wasn't growly enough except in parts of the one scene in the garage. I think she was just more relaxed than she has been in a while, because this is pre-Damon Elena.

In any case, I thought this was a good episode. I'm mostly enjoying where this season is going, although I'm still waiting on my season storyline about a group of vampires/humans who were friends with other vamps from Kol's lineage coming to Mystic Falls to chop the heads off our group. I continue to be amazed that these guys got away with genocide.

• Love 2

Kol! Wow. True. Hadn't thought of that, all Kol's sirees!

With respect to ND's weight gain, I think she looks wonderful. I hate that we feel we have to pick apart an actress looks when the character gets on our nerves. Nina has played at this count what...4(?)seperate characters by now (if you count Vamp Elena and Human Elena as separate as I do), of the same lineage sometimes simultaneously. I can give her a pass on the differentiating issue. Her work on this show has been nothing short of extraordinary, I can even see a difference from this post-mind whammies Elena and VampElenaObsessedwithDamon.

This episode I found Elena enjoyable to watch again and it's been a while but that's all on Plec and her Damon/IS obsession. I swear if she didn't let her preoccupations run her then there would be no Delena, we would have had Bamon long ago and Klaus would have died end of season 3 (?) as he rightfully should have.

• Love 3

I have to ask, why use Bamon when Donnie is a real word? Is it because Damon is the more popular half / more prominent character?

This is why I've always preferred Damon (though I don't really like him either) Stefan talks a good game but is all bitch when it comes to defending his beliefs. Buffy would have staked him brother or not.

Nah, Buffy was willing to let the world die for her sister. Killing Angel killed her and she never did that again. Re: Stefan, I do think he'll be more willing to kill Elena if needed than Damon would be. 

The clothes they have chosen this season to cover up Elena's extra pounds are so hideous it's distracting.

What extra pounds? ND's always had an amazing figure which they are finally showing off. 

Nina has played at this count what...4(?)seperate characters by now (if you count Vamp Elena and Human Elena as separate as I do), of the same lineage sometimes simultaneously. I can give her a pass on the differentiating issue. Her work on this show has been nothing short of extraordinary, I can even see a difference from this post-mind whammies Elena and VampElenaObsessedwithDamon.

True not everyone can be Tatiana Maslany. 

• Love 3

That was so ridiculous. "Alaric, you shoul probably not be distracted by things like a huge bleeding head wound on a child if you want to date me. I require full attention". This is when I went from thinking ho hum to thinking she was ridiculous and not good enough for Alaric.

Yeah - I'm hoping Jo grows on me, though I'm kind of hoping she turns out to be completely evil, in reverse of when everyone thought Meredith was the Mystic Falls serial killer but turned out to be innocent, and thus proving once and for all Alaric's terrible luck with women.

In any case, I thought this was a good episode. I'm mostly enjoying where this season is going, although I'm still waiting on my season storyline about a group of vampires/humans who were friends with other vamps from Kol's lineage coming to Mystic Falls to chop the heads off our group. I continue to be amazed that these guys got away with genocide.

That would be a great storyline! I like the idea of there being another version of the Mystic Falls gang somewhere in another town, and out for revenge.

What extra pounds? ND's always had an amazing figure which they are finally showing off. 

I hadn't noticed any weight gain either; I think Nina looks smokin' this season.

I have to ask, why use Bamon when Donnie is a real word? Is it because Damon is the more popular half / more prominent character?

Probably because Donnie is a name and some people (for instance, me) would probably get confused and think there was a new character.