Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: The Weeping Lady

So, Katrina finally did some witchy magic.  And Crane is really comprehending all the lies, misinformation and manipulation that has gone on with his life, and because of her.  I'm also beginning to think Henry may not be so happy with his arrangement with Moloch right now.

• Love 11

Ahh, they killed Emily! I like the monster of the week episodes with back story. Crane doesn't have a very good track record with women. Hawley is just as hawt as Crane, IMO. And they never thank him! Katrina is not long for the good team, I don't think. Good episode. 

• Love 3

The scene with the Miss. Caroline was hilarious.  Funny how she deduced like many of us that Crane wasn’t married (or doesn’t seem married), eta because he never talks about his wife (or rarely talks about her unless it serves the plot).

I actually liked the interaction between Crane and Miss Caroline. They seemed to have a few things in common. She could’ve definitely got with his 18th century wardrobe and demeanor.  I think it would be kind of interesting to see him navigate the landscape of dating in the 21st century.

Can Crane not swim? Why didn’t he jump in the hole to rescue Abbie instead of just reaching his hand in to try and grab her? Now granted he might’ve been thinking they both would’ve gone down, but still I was sitting there waiting for him to jump in and nothing.

So what does the horseman do every night? Ride out to take heads? If he’s not wrecking havoc on Earth and trying to take down Crane and Abbie, I don’t get what he’s doing with his “free” time. If the writers don’t have anything useful for him to do, meaning causing trouble for the Witnesses, then I don’t want to see him randomly riding out into the night or telling Katrina for the hundredth time that he won’t wait for her to surrender willingly.

This episode started off, so strong. I was thinking it was going to be one of the best episodes so far this season (besides the Pilot), but when it turned into another storyline about Katrina being in peril, I quickly got bored. Then I got interested again, when yet another one of her lies were discovered. I kind of wonder though if Mary did accidentally fall. It would be so much more interesting if Katrina pushed her off the ledge to get her out of the way. After all, she couldn't "seduce" Crane into the apocalypse cause if he moved back to England and married Mary.

At least we did get to see her use her powers, but Crane is a fool if he think this woman is worth fighting for. Thankfully he is starting to question the strength of their marriage.  And she looks to be softening a bit to Abraham.

Jenny looked so pretty with her hair down, but I want her to be more than a honey trap for the new guy.  She should’ve been all over this episode helping Crane and Abbie.

Not sure what was the point of Henry raising the weeping lady, was he hoping to take out Abbie? Still seems like the writers aren't sure what to do with him or Moloch for that matter.

This episode was kind of up and down, overall it was descent.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

Was anybody else relieved that the show/Ichabod are finally openly acknowledging just how shady Katrina's behavior really is?!?  Man that woman's secrets just keep dribbling out.  Yet another way his relationship with his wife compares less favorably to that with his fellow witness.  And now its looking like Katrina might be leaning more Bram's way.

Was a shame about Caroline-I did like her. 

So we have Hawley into Abby, but he used to have a thing with Jenny.  Whatever.  The guy's cute, but I can't see him being much more than a fun fling in Abby's scheme of things.

I kind of wonder though if Mary did accidentally fall. It would be so much more interesting if Katrina pushed her off the ledge to get her out of the way. After all, she couldn't "seduce" Crane into the apocalypse cause if he moved back to England and married Mary.

Personally, I actually think that would be more interesting.  Everyone who would like it better if Katrina turned out to have an actual evil edge to her, (which help explain Henry BTW) raise your hand!  I thought so.  But yeah, Ichabod's eyes are definitely being opened there a bit.

I agree that with the exception of his getting Irving to sign over his soul, (LOVED everything about that scene,) they haven't made best use so far of Henry, but here's hoping things will pick up. 

Edited by Winnief
  • Love 6

Caroline, Katrina, Mary, Abbie...Ichabod is one hell of a player. Him stammering that Abbie wasn't his life partner was just the producers toying with is.

But at least Ichabod is starting to FINALLY wising up that Katrina can't be trusted.  Maybe that will finally get us somewhere and hopefully bring back Frank. 

• Love 1

I'm kind of on the fence about Hawley; he's OK, i guess, but I don't know why they needed to add a character.

I also don't really see why he is needed.  I'm scratching my head as to why Jenny couldn't serve the same purpose as him while having a personal stake in it all.  It's especially annoying since ever since Hawley has had more to do, Jenny has been largely MIA.

Crane’s utter looks of bewilderment and glances back and forth between the screen and the printer at the library were hilarious.  I was cracking up at his faces and how he couldn't figure out how Abby got the screen to print out in physical form.  That was a nice touch of Crane still figuring out the technologies of the modern world.

Another nice touch of Crane still not quite being fully acclimated to his new surroundings, although not funny, was Crane not knowing CPR or what to do to help Abby after nearly drowning.  His panic and helplessness were palpable.

That was a nice contrast between him and Hawley in that moment.  Guess CPR is next on the list of things that he needs to learn how to do.

Not looking forward to any triangle between the sisters and Hawley or Hawley/Abby/Crane.  I especially don't want Abby and Jenny, after everything they've been through and how long they were apart, to now have a new rift between them over a guy.

Edited by KBrownie
  • Love 16

Poor Ichabod can't catch a break, love wise.  He and Caroline looked like they could have been a cute couple.

Seeing Henry/War getting thrown about and berated by Moloch was lovely!  And that last scene with Henry sitting on the floor in tears, having been reminded that he is a puppet and not a puppeteer, was very well acted and staged.

Weeping Lady was more sad than creepy.

And is there anything that Faux Sawyer (which is what I call and think of Hawley) doesn't have?

• Love 2

Enough with freaking Hawley. Yeah, he's hot and a "charming rogue" or whatever, but I do not care about him making eyes at Abbie. Know who I actually care about, show? Jenny and her relationship with Abbie. Two minutes in two episodes is not nearly enough. If we can waste time on an Indiana Jones wannabe, we can have more Jenny, thanks.

Good episode on the whole. The beginning was slow, but the end really picked up. (Though I still think giving the show 18 episodes was a mistake. You can tell they're trying to scrape 13 episodes' worth of story over 18.)

I'm also beginning to think Henry may not be so happy with his arrangement with Moloch right now.

I feel like they're setting up Henry to break away from Moloch (if not turn good, at least go neutral-ish) just as Katrina goes evil.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 5

Not to mention it might be good to learn more Abby and Jenny's mother.  Or have more focus on poor Irving and the mess he's in.  Or perhaps see some of the Horsemen's misdeeds and the horror they're spreading through out the world.  That would help fill up 18 episodes better! 

Also now that I think about it, since there was obviously something special about Abby's bloodline, that made her destined to become the Second Witness, is there anything unique about the Crane family history as well?!?  Or does Ichabod have any descendants through brothers or sisters?

• Love 4

Crane got me when he desperately called Abbie by her first name after he pulled her out of the drowning portal.

I'm so glad he's wising up to how shady his wife is and where his loyalties need to be.  We'll see if that lasts.

• Love 9

Shady Katrina FTW!  I am sorry but 'she tripped' looked an awful like 'helped over the cliff by magic'

I have always believed Crane being the Witness was his biggest attraction to Katrina.  Her words to Mary has confirmed this for me.

I am still liking Hawley.  Now that Irving is compromised, he is added muscle for Team Witness.  Crane, Abbie, Hawley & Jenny make a formidable team!

Mison was the MVP this episode, from his babbling when he realizes Caroline likes him to his chivalry to her to his sadness when she dies to his utter incoherent panic when Abbie is drowned (ABBIE!) to his look of dawning betrayal when he finally confronts all of Katrina's lies.  He hit the ball out of the park tonight.

I am enjoying the continued emphasis that Henry, despite being an older man, is actually a child in many ways.  Noble is excellent showing just how immature Henry really is in his body language and facial expressions when he is around Moloch.

I totally loved this episode.  Although I totally crack up that people on Sleepy Hollow must be so inured to crazy shit that a pool opening up in the middle of the library doesn't even merit an angry librarian coming over to tell them all to be quiet.

• Love 15
The scene with the Miss. Caroline was hilarious.  Funny how she deduced like many of us that Crane wasn’t married (or doesn’t seem married), eta because he never talks about his wife (or rarely talks about her unless it serves the plot).

I've only seen that first part but that whole scene was adorable, especially when Abbie came in with her..."Mrs. who now?" And I loved the way she teased Crane about needing a signal,putting a tie on the doorknob....

A case of Crane on the brain indeed! Who wouldn't! Not me!

Edited by Valny
  • Love 8

Good episode.  I thought the weeping lady stuff was interesting and a charming look at their lives before everything went down.  It really says something that only two short appearances endeared me to Caroline.  So sweet and funny.  I really wish they hadn't killed her off.  Plus, she was Ichabod's main clothing supplier!  :(

And yet we get more Hawley for...why exactly?  He wasn't doing anything that Jenny couldn't have done.  And why was Miss Jenny only in the episode for five minutes?!?  Please show, don't do a Jenny/Hawley/Abby love triangle.  It's so clichéd.

When Katrina she told Abraham, "Let's go home", Ichabod just looked devastated.  Poor guy.  I know Katrina is trying to play Abraham, but the last thing she needed was to be chummy with him at that moment.  That's not going to help Ichabod trust her.  That said Ichabod, it would probably be a good idea for you to learn CPR.

I definitely think Katrina and Abraham are going to hook up eventually.  He's a murdering asshole, but it's clear that he does care for Katrina in his own sick way.

• Love 3

Yeah, there's basically no way Katrina's cover story was the whole truth. So a woman dies, and just somehow becomes a jealous spirit monster that haunts Sleepy Hollow for 200 years? No. There was a witch involved.

I'm so thrilled the show is finally going there with Shady Katrina. That alone would make this episode an A for me, but everything else was great too. I really loved Jenny teasing Hawley. Get it, girl.

• Love 7

Crane got me when he desperately called Abbie by her first name after he pulled her out of the drowning portal.

And the way he cradled her on the floor, my goodness. I was clutching my pearls on that scene.

• Love 4

I totally loved this episode.  Although I totally crack up that people on Sleepy Hollow must be so inured to crazy shit that a pool opening up in the middle of the library doesn't even merit an angry librarian coming over to tell them all to be quiet.

Word. I wonder what Abbie said to the paramedics to explain why she was soaking wet in the middle of the library. Maybe she said she fainted, fell on the floor, and Crane doused her with a bucket of water?

It took me a minute to realize why Crane didn't act when he pulled Abbie out of the water and she didn't wake up. He didn't know CPR. Duh!  Hawley was helpful in that scene, although when Abbie started coughing up water, someone should have rolled her onto her side. And I like Abbie's air-dried hair--it was very cute.

I also don't really see why he is needed.  I'm scratching my head as to why Jenny couldn't serve the same purpose as him while having a personal stake in it all.  It's especially annoying since ever since Hawley has had more to do, Jenny has been largely MIA.

I like Hawley as a character. But I don't like that his presence on the show seems to be at the expense of Jenny's involvement.

And I don't think there will be an Abbie/Hawley/Jenny love triangle. Abbie has to much integrity to get involved with someone Jenny has dated in the past, especially if Jenny still has feelings for him. She cares about her sister too much. Unless there happens to be a late night when Abbie is sitting home alone and horny, possibly thinking about the unavailable Crane, and Hawley just happens to show up. I can imagine Abbie getting weak and having a regrettable one-night stand.

• Love 1

Yeah, as fun as the Caroline misunderstanding scene and sweet apology, the Ichabod can learn to drive, but not CPR ?  Glad that went into the commercial break. Jenny and Crane have the time to have drive practice, but knowing how to save any person-which might include the Mills women!- is no big thing?  (Not that I'm hating on the driving scene; it was pretty cool and funny. Just... CPR a might more important on the Need To Know list, imo.)

I heard the name Mary Wells/Welles and immediately thought of the song "My Guy!" So I wonder how deliberate the name was. *g*

Jenny & Hawley? Wellll, I can see why she'd be interested, but part of me wasn't entirely sure it was actually Jenny. This show has me paranoid for the characters!  Still, IA with the more Hawley/less Jenny situation we are experiencing. I hope it is to establish Hawley, but I'm getting tired of not seeing the sisters Mills kick some Apocolyptic ass.

Also? Hellfire Shards? Why is this being dropped in our laps in this episode? I know, They Read The Script. Still, do we need more stuff to have dribbled out over several episodes, if past episodes are to be used as reference? No, we do not.

*What's up with Henry?

*What's up with Irving and his problems?

*Where has Jenny been and what the hell has she been doing?

*How did Abby get out of the dollhouse in Purgatory?

*Why hasn't Irving's wife come to check on him? If she actually tried to hire a lawyer for Frank, I'd think she'd want to eventually meet him. If she met the     counselor, then did she meet Henry, the actual lawyer, or Henry disguised as the lawyer?

*Where the hell is Sheriff Reyes? She seemed to be so tough and no-nonsense, yet, we haven't seen her since the season premiere or Episode 2. What's up?

And that's just off the top of my mind.

This episode was interesting. It had fun moments, but it was more  'Ichabod be breaking hearts all over the time stream!' I was sincerely hoping The Weeping Woman wasn't Betsy Ross after all the mentions of her. ( I also liked the mentions of 'a writer from this town' who wrote of the legend.) Yes, Ichabod is amazingly hot and sexy, but it's almost ridiculous the trail of broken hearts that's beginning to be shown. Or at least, it feels like there is a pile.  (I fleetingly thought of Yolanda, and was glad she wasn't in town.)

Still in for Holloween! *g*

• Love 5

Aww, I really liked Caroline. She could have been an acclimating friend for Ichabod, though he was right about the people close to them being put in danger. If she had survived and gone on to be a steady resource, she would have been killed eventually anyway.

And holy moly, I can't believe that Katrina (metaphorically) showed a sliver of her ass, finally. I don't think I believe her! Mary tripped on a root and "must have hit her head" while falling what looked like 15 feet? She could have just landed on her head. Why the vague explanation, since it could have easily been written differently? Holy. Moly.

I get why people ship Abbie and Ichabod. I do. When Crane cried out "Abby!" in despair after he pulled her out of the water, the feels were real, man. Tom Mison is an impressive actor.

Speaking of that relationship, seems there's been a critical shift thanks to Mary illuminating who he cares about. He told Mary that she was a dear friend and that he loved her like a sister. We also know very well how he loves Katrina, yet doesn't trust her anymore. And he confides all of this to Abby - someone who is a dear friend and trustworthy. Hmmm.

I found it odd that we didn't see much of Abbie's reaction when Ichabod confronted Katrina about Mary. Marriage woes are awkward to be caught up in, but I wonder if I'm intended to see that the issues between Katrina and Ichabod would tear them apart even without Abbie's presence.

I love the monster-of-the-week episodes. I hope this show goes on for years and years because of them.

And fie on any possible Mills sister love triangle. Just let Jenny have him, show. She never gets to have any fun.

• Love 9

Poor Miss Caroline.  All she wanted was some Colonial love from Ichabod.  Thought that entire bit in the beginning was funny and I love that Ichabod actually meets up with the Colonial reenactment group on the weekends.

Great episode was a lot of interesting stuff.  We get some dark Katrina and I'm doubting that Mary's death was an accident as well.  We have Henry and his "I relish causing my parents" pain line.  Never change, Henry!  Some terrific acting by John Noble at the end.  Jenny looks even nicer when she's smiling.  I like Hawley and think he works well with the regulars....I just wish they would stop with all the contrived run-ins the past two weeks.

• Love 1

Yeah, as fun as the Caroline misunderstanding scene and sweet apology, the Ichabod can learn to drive, but not CPR ?  Glad that went into the commercial break. Jenny and Crane have the time to have drive practice, but knowing how to save any person-which might include the Mills women!- is no big thing?  (Not that I'm hating on the driving scene; it was pretty cool and funny. Just... CPR a might more important on the Need To Know list, imo.)...

...This episode was interesting. It had fun moments, but it was more  'Ichabod be breaking hearts all over the time stream!' I was sincerely hoping The Weeping Woman wasn't Betsy Ross after all the mentions of her. ( I also liked the mentions of 'a writer from this town' who wrote of the legend.) Yes, Ichabod is amazingly hot and sexy, but it's almost ridiculous the trail of broken hearts that's beginning to be shown.

Your entire post was on point, Actionmage. Abbie probably never got around to teaching Ichabod CPR, but I'm sure she will now.

And I'd probably be drooling all over Ichabod, too. Tom Mison is sexy as heck.  Especially with the wig--and the pony tail. With his hair loose, I'd feel like I was trying to put the moves on Jesus. Awkward.

But I still find it interesting that Tom Mison has better chemistry with every other character on the show than he does with "my love" Katrina. Even in the two scenes with Caroline and the two scenes with Mary, Ichabod has a palpable emotional connection with those two ladies that he never quite has with Katrina. I'm not dogging Katia Winter--I've gotten to like her more this season. Their scenes are just different than his scenes with other characters.

And my favorite Ichabbie moment was at the library when Abbie says she's waterlogged but back in action. Crane says, "Thankfully," and Abbie gives him a smile that says...what does it say? I'm glad I'm alive, glad to see you, glad that you're glad that I'm alive, glad that you've already seen what my hair looks like when I've sweated out my perm. (That last one's just me).

Edited by topanga
  • Love 8

Aww, man.  It was brief, but I actually liked Miss Caroline, despite the embarrassing miss-communication (Ichabod seems to have that effect on women, unless you are a Mills or the new sheriff.)  I liked the idea of Ichabod bonding with a historical nut, and a friendship born out of that. Props to Tom Mison too, because, despite the brief screen-time, I really bough Ichabod being upset over her death.

Hey, Mary was played by Heather Lind, who I just saw this summer on the Turn reruns (or is it "Turn: Washington Spies", now?  AMC can't seem to make up their mind.)  I guess once you've done one Revolutionary War era show, you might as well do them all!

Glad that Ichabod is finally seeing just how shady Katrina is.  Honestly, I really hope she was misleading him about Mary's "accident", and there is more to it.  I'm just bored with Katrina now, and I rather her be more of an antagonist now.  Either way, I have a feeling there is even more skeletons in her closet.

Not sure what to make of Hawley, yet.  I still like Matt Barr, I hope they move past him just always being a reluctant helper.  I also hope they quit having him be there when Jenny is gone, because, fair or unfair, it feels like they're replacing him with her, and I don't like that.  Where the hell was Jenny these past few episodes (not including her finally returning at the end of this episode.)

Ha!  Henry just got himself on Moloch's shit-list!  When you align yourself with the devil, you better not piss him off!

Liked the episode for the most part, but I preferred the first half to last half.  I just prefer the Ichabod/Abbie stuff, over Ichabod having to save Katrina again.  Although, to her credit, she did finally break out her witchy powers, so maybe that will quit being a thing.

• Love 3

The amount of women this show is willing to sacrifice on Ichy Stu's altar is astonishing. He must have the most impressive pe... personality (out of screen) to have so many women obsessed with him.

The Cranes are truly toxic and terrible people. It's amazing how much misery they bring by just existing. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes, when Ichy, the king of deceit and betrayal, called out his wife for making him the butt of her own lies, while being oblivious to his own crap. I also wonder why he has issues with his beloved wife now, after he purposely chose to ignore her lies, when it was convenient to him. Isn't that proof that they are made for each other and that they are the true love story in the show?

Personally, I actually think that would be more interesting.  Everyone who would like it better if Katrina turned out to have an actual evil edge to her, (which help explain Henry BTW) raise your hand!  I thought so.  But yeah, Ichabod's eyes are definitely being opened there a bit.

Henry did tell Moloch that he was the one who raised Mary. But Katrina certainly could have been involved.

And has others have posted, I'm glad Crane is finally noticing how often Katrina says, "Oh, by the way...," "Oh, I never told you, but...," or "There was never a good time to explain this, but..." Shady? Maybe. Deceitful? Definitely.

Indi, I think Crane was blinded by his love and devotion to Katrina--or maybe she was the one rocking his world. In any event, it's taken him this long to recognize her lies and shortcomings. And I don't think he realizes how much his devotion to her has made him behave selfishly and put others in danger, especially Abbie. I'm not trying to excuse his behavior. Just trying to understand it.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2

I also think seeing how convincingly Katrina talked to Abraham (headless) was eye opening in just how good she is at that kind of thing.  Even if Ichabod knew/thought she was doing it to protect him, he's probably heard her talk to him like that before and he's seeing how easily she can fool people.

• Love 4

Okay I've recovered enough for one comment.

Katrina is really blaming Abraham/Henry for Ichabod's faith being shaken? Um - witch, please! YOU did that all by yourself! Ugh - bless her sociopathic little heart.

• Love 2

I am thoroughly weak...Drops DEAD on floor after witnessing flashbacks scenes with Tom Mison apparelled in gaping shirt. Goddammit, Kristin Burke (Head costumer for SH) - are you trying to kill me? And let it be noted that if following proper historical costuming protocol, a male figure from that era would never ever wear such revealing gaping necked outfits as such displayed on Mr. Mison. But Ms. Burke, my utmost regards and kudos...let it continue, let it continue...my god that man was smoking fucking hot. Even the colonial gear he was wearing whilst with Mary. Bloody amazing. Keep doing what you are doing. /deadonfloor/

Anyhoo...Thoughts. This episode was amazing, Loved it. Just fantastic. Loved the opening with Miss Caroline and hated that she was killed. Such a waste. Loved her character, though we saw so briefly of her. She was brilliant in her brief interaction with Crane.

Something else that no one will most likely mention - I love that Ichabod went personally to apologize to Caroline. We were even treated with a funny scene where she comes on to him/mistakes Abbie for the wife. But what broke my heart is when he said "I have precious few friends in Sleepy Hollow." Because Ichabod really doesn't have anyone, save for Abbie. I mean, we laugh at his discomfort over the new world and his fumbles over modern experiences, but I've always been drawn to how mentally messed up he should possibly be, considering the circumstances. His comment basically states that he has not much companionship in his life, save Abbie, maybe Jenny and that's it, yet he seems like someone who needs a lot. He's alone, and I don't think Ichabod can handle being alone.

Ichabod finally questioning and calling out Katrina on her shadiness. About fucking time. Thank you. Because it is there in plain sight, and it kills me that Ichabod dismisses it.

I like Hawley. Apparently I am in the minority. He brings a casual yet intense vibe to the Witnesses and I'm all over that. I really do like his character. If he hooks up with Abbie, all the better. As long as Ichabbie is the endgame or better yet, SOONgame. Again, Ichabod saves Abbie, but he doesn't know to give her CPR broke my heart. And he called her by her first name twice (well technically second name). Big, BIG deal.

And for those of us crazy Ichabbie shippers - he did not hug Katrina no where near as intensely as he hugged Abbie multiple times. I don't know show, what the fuck you are doing, but you are not helping reinforce the power of the marriage.

Heather Lind did a brilliant job as Mary Wells. Love her on TURN (as Anna Strong), and thought she was great here. And why is it that I see a true connection and affection and great chemistry between her and Ichabod (whom Crane has declared Mary as his "sister" in terms of feelings) yet I get nothing in terms of connection/affection/feelings with his own wife....

• Love 7

I can't believe it but I didn't even mind Katrina.  And I am pleased that Ichabod is finally seeing Katrina beyond his perfect memories.

And good lord, the way he cried out "Abbie" when he thought she was dead, was almost more than I could take. Ichabod needs to take CPR lessons, btw.

I really like Hawley too. He's of dubious intent but he's fun. 

Fun episode.

ETA: I'm sad about Caroline! She was great. I love that Ichabod made one friend away from Abbie, Katrina and Miss Jenny.  He needs a guy friend too.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
Another nice touch of Crane still not quite being fully acclimated to his new surroundings, although not funny, was Crane not knowing CPR or what to do to help Abby after nearly drowning.  His panic and helplessness were palpable.

Him calling out "Abbie!" was so heartbreaking. He has so few friends in Sleepy Hollow.

I liked this one! The  MOtW was genuinely scary, and when she was un-monstered, even more scary. I gotta give a shout out to the actress--she had "Crazy Ex who won't acknowledge that whole EX Thing" down. The too-wide eyes, the too-big smile, the tuning out of the whole "we broke up and I'm fighting for the other side and by the way YOU ARE CRAZY". I loved her reaction when Ichabod finally had to sister-zone her, and his; you could see him thinking "Oh, God, no, not another one of her scenes." You could see how used to her histrionics he was. 

And when she and Katrina met? And she's calling out K on "stealing" Ichabod and how she must be a witch? She was totally right. Not that a person can be stolen, natch, Ichabod broke up with her before he left England, but Katrina's weak-ass "I'm engaged to Abraham" was completely transparent, and she is a witch.

I don't think Katrina assisted Mary over that cliff; I think what happened is what we were shown. She ducked out of the way, Mary went over and hit her head, Katrina went to check on her---and just decided on a prudent, Keep The Witness Here course of action, all the while lying to herself about her real motives. And that's why Katrina is so vulnerable. She can't admit the fact that circumstance dedicated emergency or no, she also doesn't want to marry Abraham, to lose Ichabod, to deal with the whole "I went out to meet this woman and she ended up dead..." thing--she chooses the easy path, the one paved with secret after secret, lie after lie. Yes, she mostly does it for the greater good, but she won't admit it's not all Big And Noble Motives. 

Nobody wants to admit to the ignoble parts of themselves, the part that wants to marry somebody no matter who it hurts, the part that wants to yell "YES, HE LOVES ME, NOT YOU," the part that realizes that it's become really really easy to lie. Lying has become a part of you, not just a series of one-offs, a part of who you are. 

• Love 6

I actually like Hawley quite a bit, but I really don't need him in every single episode, especially if it comes at Jenny's expense. I'm also kinda sad that they have a history. I liked his chemistry with Abby and wouldn't have minded flirtation, but now that would be icky. No Mills sisters triangle please!

I like the above speculation that Katrina actually killed Mary and now that's my head canon. It does make her more interesting. And yes, thank goodness Crane is finally twigging on to his wife's shadiness. From the shallow end of the pool, what is up with Katrina's hair this season? It looks awful. Well, more awful anyway. It wasn't exactly great last year either.

Poor Caroline. I liked her and would have enjoyed seeing more of their friendship, especially if it meant seeing Crane at some of the reenactments.

• Love 1

I rewound the cliff scene over and over again and just before Mary went over that cliff, you see Katrina's hands on Mary's shoulders... perfectly primed to toss her off the cliff.

Katrina didn't just move out of Mary's way and Mary fell. Katrina DID lay hands on Mary at some point before she went over the cliff.

I doubt we will ever know - but Katrina is soooooo massively shady. My mouth dropped to the floor when Mary did that Celie finger point at Killertrina.

• Love 1

Word. I wonder what Abbie said to the paramedics to explain why she was soaking wet in the middle of the library. Maybe she said she fainted, fell on the floor, and Crane doused her with a bucket of water?

I like Hawley as a character. But I don't like that his presence on the show seems to be at the expense of Jenny's involvement.

And I don't think there will be an Abbie/Hawley/Jenny love triangle. Abbie has to much integrity to get involved with someone Jenny has dated in the past, especially if Jenny still has feelings for him. She cares about her sister too much. Unless there happens to be a late night when Abbie is sitting home alone and horny, possibly thinking about the unavailable Crane, and Hawley just happens to show up. I can imagine Abbie getting weak and having a regrettable one-night stand.

Totes (yes, I did) agree with the bolded parts. Hope you are at least semi-joking with the italics parts because I would projectile vomit if that happened and my headcanon Abbie would never be that desperate or pining after Crane. 

All in all, I liked this episode A LOT. Best episode of this season for me. I love that you guys are all "She fell as in Katrina Cray-Cray helped her off the cliff", while I doubt that's the case it's funny to me. Though I think that it makes her super dodgy anyway because it's more clear than ever that she manipulated Ichabod more even we realised. She saw him as a Witness more than she saw him as himself even when she liked him. Also interesting that she is to be a vessel. Maybe so is Irving (Noooooooo! :/)

Kinda tired and don't have much to add to everyone else's comments so I will probably go over my impressions more thoroughly tomorrow.

• Love 1

It's so true crane just has no chemistry with Katrina. I don't know why.

I'm guessing cpr is on the learn list now but in fairness you drive every day and sleepy hollow is not an island, who expects to use CPR at the library?

I was sad about Caroline too, mostly because we literally just met her this episode and the connection is interesting. Frighten her but kill her? What a waste. Did enjoy tshe funeral and the whole see you at the battle of thing. (I guess we met her briefly last season but I don't recall her being an actual character at the reenactment he stumbled into). So much chemistry does crane not have with Katrina that I also had totally forgotten about her existence when Caroline came onto him and was ready to ship them!

A little slow overall.

Katrina did look shady there but I think the truth is what she said.

Then again... What the heck is hellfire? Why does moloch want her so badly? He did say he wants her turned which is pretty conclusive evidence that she isn't already.

• Love 1
Indi, I think Crane was blinded by his love and devotion to Katrina--or maybe she was the one rocking his world. In any event, it's taken him this long to recognize her lies and shortcomings. And I don't think he realizes how much his devotion to her has made him behave selfishly and put others in danger, especially Abbie. I'm not trying to excuse his behavior. Just trying to understand it.

That tells me nothing, because Katrina could come out smelling like roses, after using similar excuses, and it still wouldn't make a difference. "She lied and manipulated, because of her love for Ichabod", "she did what she thought best to save the world", "she was blinded by Ichy Stu's magic pen... personality". She still gets no sympathy from me and neither does Ichy, because for all his self-righteousness, when it comes to others, he's not very self-aware. I'm not impressed with the show for addressing Katrina's shadiness, when it has failed addressing that of the main character.

What it tells me though, is that they should be shipped together to a desert island (after being spayed and neutered). They are equally toxic to everyone else but themselves.

• Love 1

And for those of us crazy Ichabbie shippers - he did not hug Katrina no where near as intensely as he hugged Abbie multiple times. I don't know show, what the fuck you are doing, but you are not helping reinforce the power of the marriage.

To make things worse, the show has been posting this picture all over the place but cut it from the show.  I cry foul!  Foul, I say!

B0cYn6nCEAAl1hc.jpg

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 3

This week 's nit pick: When Mary and Katrina are in the water, why don 't their big full skirts rise up?

Does Faux Sawyer always store priceless artifacts in his outdoor open air sitting room on the dock?

Headless is a better actor and more interesting than Abraham.

• Love 3

Katrina, you got some 'splainin' to do.  

I was Team Weeping Lady when she started to go after Katrina and was hoping that Abbie and Ichabod would hit traffic on their way to the bridge to rescue her. When Mary (what up, Anna Strong) pointed that finger at Katrina and Ichabod started to get angry....oh baby, I felt like breaking out the popcorn to watch that go down. Did they ever cut to Abbie during that? I feel like she and I would be sharing the popcorn. I need a Sleepy Hollow writer/producer to look me in the eye and tell me I'm supposed to be rooting for Katrina/Ichy. Not even rooting but feeling something positive towards them.  

Poor Miss. Caroline. She seemed so sweet and fun. And she churned her own butter!

I still like Hawley but I don't know why he's there when Jenny could do his job. Probably better.

• Love 4

I wouldn't worry too much about the Cranes. I don't think he is really getting wiser about Katrina. TPTB are too in love with them and said often enough they are the only love story of the show. Something tells me this fabricated conflict between the epic lovers is just a plot device to develop their relationship when they finally get together, while throwing a bone to the Ichabbie shippers. He will end up forgiving her and the lovers will be free to love each other again, until something else puts another obstacle between them. I'm sure everyone here can't wait for some Ichatrina sex. Yawn.

"Our duty must be to one another before anything or anyone." Yawn. Crane is the champion of talking a lot and doing very little and the very little he does is usually the opposite of what he says.

Abraham is annoying, boring and whiny. It must be his proximity to Katrina. She sucked the life out of him and now he's a whimpy shadow of his badass S1 self. The same goes for Henry and the warning signs of misunderstood villain, who just wants to be loved (by mommy)... Yawn. John Noble is so boring in this role!

So the show went there and they're aiming for a love triangle with Hawley and the Mills sisters. What a classy show!

At least the bird was cute, I guess.

• Love 2

I swear that in the first scene at the cabin, Crane said "lieutenant" (rather than his usual British pronunciation of leftenant). I even rewound it to listen a second time in case. Dost mine ears deceive me?

One thing that annoyed me this week was when Crane said that marriage is difficult even on the best days. No, it isn't. If your marriage is difficult even on the best days, you might want to reconsider your relationship. I hate that the media keeps telling us that relationships are hard work and that they're difficult. When you are with the right person, it's not hard work or difficult. Stop perpetuating that myth, Crane! I felt like he said it to justify how screwed up his relationship with Katrina is.

On a related note, the entire time that Ichabod and Katrina were having that conversation in the woods about Mary, all I could think was uhhh, isn't Abbie like five feet away? Totally awkward!

• Love 5

Besides the theorizing that Katrina may have played more of a role in Mary's death than she let on, (which seems entirely plausible but I don't know if the show will go there,) there is another possibility as well; that Mary's accusation that Katrina had 'bewitched' Ichabod may have had more truth to it than anyone realized, and that yes indeed Katrina's need to secure the Witness to the cause, made her use magic to stack the deck in her favor by ensuring his affections.  (This frankly would explain a LOT.)  Of course the problem for Katrina would be that whatever she used isn't completely foolproof, as evidenced by his recent anger towards her and perhaps more significantly by his bond with Abbie.  Like not even the most powerful of enchantments could stand in the way of the immediate connection between the two witnesses.

Or maybe I'm just reaching.  What do you think?

• Love 14

What happened to the diversity on this show?  Last night, Abbie was the only POC for most of the hour. That's so unlike Season 1.  In Season 1, the diversity of the cast was one of the main things that drew me to this show.   As I watched last night I kept wondering, where's Jenny?  Where's Frank?  Where's that lady that took Frank's place?  What happened to Luke?  I miss John Cho!  <sigh>.  If the addition of Hawley is going to push all of the other POC off the canvas, I'd rather not have him around.

• Love 7

I didn't pick up on that until you pointed it out! I was thinking Ichabod was panicked and couldn't remember what to do. 

I am enjoying the continued emphasis that Henry, despite being an older man, is actually a child in many ways.  Noble is excellent showing just how immature Henry really is in his body language and facial expressions when he is around Moloch.

That final shot of him on the floor crying ( legs splayed out like a child) because daddy was mad at him said a lot for a scene with no dialogue. 

I really like Hawley too. He's of dubious intent but he's fun. 

ETA: I'm sad about Caroline! She was great. I love that Ichabod made one friend away from Abbie, Katrina and Miss Jenny.  He needs a guy friend too.

I like him very much (so far), and I'm looking forward to see what is in store for him. 

Maybe Hawley will end up being that guy friend? 

I'm guessing cpr is on the learn list now but in fairness you drive every day and sleepy hollow is not an island, who expects to use CPR at the library?

If anything is taken away from all of this, it should be that The Witnesses need to be prepared for any situation. Especially the WTF ones. 

We all know how pissy Ichabod can be when it comes to historical inaccuracies; I wonder how his reenactor buddies are liking him in their club? He certainly bring authenticity, but is he bossy? 

• Love 1