Type keyword(s) to search

Getting On - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought I misheard the not-bad news from Dawns doctor on how she's holding up with dialysis, when later she told Patsy she was dying. 

Needed some sympathy, or maybe she was tired of the docs chirpy, can-do attitude on her condition.  

It was totally a put on by Dawn, to one-up Pasty and her Brit equivalent. 

I was a bit let down by this episode - something about it felt off. 

• Love 2

was a bit let down by this episode - something about it felt off. 

Wow, I felt the complete opposite, I think this might have been my favorite episode. All the characters were firing on all cylinders at the best at being bad and I'm going to be very sad to see this show end.

• Love 4

It felt off for me as well. A little cluttered. Too bad they couldn't make this an 8 episode season to end the series.

I wish we'd had a several-episode arc with the British doppelgangers

They could have gone an ep without the Patsy/Dawn head games.

Glad Mama Viv got out of the hospital & away from Dr. James.

Oh, but Birdie broke my heart again. Thanking Jenna for all the nice things she did for her was a sincere moment. Bye bye, Birdie.

Is Dr. Rudd interested in Patsy or just in awe of Patsy's ability to come out publicly?

Love Laurie Metcalf's dimples.

Loved the stool research dueling.

Tawny, tarry, tapered.

Is Didi's step-mother-in-law played by the actress who appeared on "All in the Family"?

That was a lot of bacon.

• Love 2

Is Didi's step-mother-in-law played by the actress who appeared on "All in the Family"?

Yes. She is played by the great Gloria LeRoy who was arguably best known as 'Mildred "Boom Boom" Turner' on 'All in the Family'.

• Love 3

Aw, Miss Birdy.  I am going to miss her.  Didi really is the greatest.

She is and I'm not sure I like the way her family treats her. They certainly look like they take her for granted. I found it sad that her husband said at the end, that he was happy she "got him" to marry her and she looked not so happy with that statement either. 

I was like ouch, why not just say "I'm happy I married you." Or even, "I was smart to marry you."  

With that statement he just confirmed what the sister-in law said to DiDi.

Also, did I hear correctly that the little girl is not really the brother in-law's biological daughter? Did I not hear correctly that they went to the clinic for and abortion but then DiDi convinced her not to do it because like she said, the brother in-law isn't smart enough to figure out that, the child really isn't his?

Mildred "Boom Boom" Turner

http://vignette1.wik...=20121214105744

Oh wow, I don't even remember her from AITF, but I did recognize her face. What else has she been in?

Because I know I don't remember her from All In the Family, but I know her face.  Just like I know the face of the actress who played Birdie, but I don't can't remember specifically what else I've seen her in.

Edited by represent

was a bit let down by this episode - something about it felt off.

I think it was supposed to feel off to me, seeing Dr. James have what I would call a total melt down for her.

I mean this was some serious unhinging going on in this episode. 

Metcalf was great, it was cringe worthy to watch, which for me meant that it was great work. Seeing people at there worst, most vulnerable, where you want to just look away and once they realize how bad they looked they want to go crawl under a rock, yeah, that shit is real.  That's good TV.

OMG, she was a mess, and it's always something to see someone who just lacks the capacity to allow themselves to feel.  Because I could see that Jenna was feeling, she was, she just doesn't know how to deal with those feelings. It's something that she can't allow herself to even accept the thank you from Birdie, she looked totally like she didn't understand. Like Birdie was speaking a foreign language.

Anyway, the worst of these characters' traits were on full display in this episode. 

Because bottom line for me, they were all in a lot of pain and/or mentally unstable IMO.

• Love 3

Man, I loved this ep. Dr James is such a great character, and Laurie Metcalf is amazing. I know many of us have said this before, but she needs an Emmy nod for this show -- I would say specifically for this ep. I kept expecting a nervous breakdown by the end. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong on this, her special day. 

I didn't realize that Dr. Pippa Moore and Sister Flixter (hee) were characters from the British Getting On. So funny how the show presented Pippa and Jenna, Den and Dawn -- and now that I type their names out, I see the resemblance continues. The games of oneupmanship were great. 

Loved all the poo talk. Sympoosium, the book titled "Anus," the symposium topics "Fecal Impaction and Loading" and "Winter Continence Society Workshop." Pippa saying, "I've long been immersed in stool," cracked me up. I mean, making poo puns is an easy laugh, but they work.

I hated Dr James overhearing Didi and her family talking about her. Then she turns those exact same mean observations onto Pippa. 

There's some truth when she finds Didi and her family taking the mother out and tells Didi that it's easy to lead with your heart. It's hard to know intellectually what the right thing is to do but feel differently.

So sweet when Birdy said to Dr James, "I love you for all that you do for me." I guess Dr James was puzzled because she's never told that?

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 6

I felt bad for Jenna in this episode, but I was also really angry at her when she told Paul that only two hospital employees have helped her with the symposium, and didn't mention Dawn.

And I was fully expecting that Patsy would make a pass at Dr. Rudd, and wind up humiliated. Maybe we'll see some followup to their scene later.

Also, did I hear correctly that the little girl is not really the brother in-law's biological daughter? Did I not hear correctly that they went to the clinic for and abortion but then DiDi convinced her not to do it because like she said, the brother in-law isn't smart enough to figure out that, the child really isn't his?

Oh wow, I don't even remember her from AITF, but I did recognize her face. What else has she been in?

Because I know I don't remember her from All In the Family, but I know her face.

Your take on Didi's family sounds right to me.

I know the actress who played Viv as Fake Aunt Ginger from Shameless, and as the aging prostitute who Hank slept with when he was in the midst of his downward spiral on The Larry Sanders Show.

She's great for these kinds of roles, because her eyes look so glassy.

And I was fully expecting that Patsy would make a pass at Dr. Rudd, and wind up humiliated. Maybe we'll see some followup to their scene later.

Dr. Rudd seemed to be making a pass (of sorts) at Patsy, with his "unfamiliar with vaginas" comment.  Patsy looked puzzled.  Like "Is this how it works?  I just annouce I'm gay and cute guys fall out of the sky?" 

• Love 8

Let's not forget the fetching pink dress and hat Dawn was wearing. In all my years of conferences, it never occurred to me to wear an outfit looking remotely like that.

I struggled a little with this episode. I think it was so jam-packed and frenetic that there wasn't time for me to savor each moment like I normally do.

• Love 2
I struggled a little with this episode. I think it was so jam-packed and frenetic that there wasn't time for me to savor each moment like I normally do.

I think this nails it.  It wasn't a bad episode, it was just too busy, like they are trying to rush through storylines to be able to wrap everything up in two episodes.  The scene with Miss Birdy dying and Dede telling her how they all loved her was just excellent.  I'm so used to Niecy Nash doing comedy, I forget she has some serious dramatic acting chops.   

HBO did an In Memoriam for Birdy.

• Love 4
The scene with Miss Birdy dying and Dede telling her how they all loved her was just excellent.

Yes, and putting that orange in her hand. I think DiDi started to bring her oranges from her tree?  Because a couple of episodes back Birdie told her how much she loved them and that somebody didn't use to let her have them or something to that effect? 

The "We love you Miss Birdie." my heart just sank.

I'm so used to Niecy Nash doing comedy, I forget she has some serious dramatic acting chops.

Yep, and she did get an Emmy nod this year.  Next year they definitely need to give Laurie Metcalf one.

I hope they give the show a nod.

• Love 2

Let's not forget the fetching pink dress and hat Dawn was wearing. In all my years of conferences, it never occurred to me to wear an outfit looking remotely like that.

I couldn't help but think of Jackie Kennedy when blood squirted all over Dawn's dress. Jackie had been wearing a pink dress and little hat when JKF was assassinated. I don't know if the connection was intended. I can't think why the show would do that.

• Love 2

I agree that Dawn was acting out and lying for attention. Where I sympathize with Dawn is her anger at what her doctor said. Being cheerfully told that you'll be just fine hooked up to a machine a few times a week for the rest of your life and not to worry about those pesky transplant options would anger me too.

• Love 2

I agree that Dawn was acting out and lying for attention. Where I sympathize with Dawn is her anger at what her doctor said. Being cheerfully told that you'll be just fine hooked up to a machine a few times a week for the rest of your life and not to worry about those pesky transplant options would anger me too.

No kidding. My mom used to be a special procedures nurse, and my aunt was in kidney failure and got a transplant back in 2012. Dialysis isn't just time consuming, it is exhausting. You are wiped out after having the blood removed and recirculated through your body. Even people who do at home dialysis, where they do it twice a week for a little bit longer and can do it while they sleep, are miserable and exhausted through it. Not to mention the fact that they often intentionally give you fistulas in order to receive your hemodialysis. Getting a transplant is no walk in the park- surgery, anti-rejection meds for the rest of your life, severe dietary restrictions- but dialysis in perpetuity is much worse. Poor Dawn, she needs a second opinion.

• Love 3

Dr. Rudd seemed to be making a pass (of sorts) at Patsy, with his "unfamiliar with vaginas" comment.  Patsy looked puzzled.  Like "Is this how it works?  I just annouce I'm gay and cute guys fall out of the sky?"

Right - because Patsy seemed to be interpreting Dr. Rudd as being gay in that scene, I figured Patsy would eventually proposition him in some way.

I don't think a scene like that would be thrown in there if it isn't building up to anything. I expect we're going to see a very awkward moment where Patsy assumes Rudd is gay and finds out he's straight. (Either that, or we'll find out that Rudd is bi.)

• Love 1

[quote name="Blakeston" post="1764388" timestamp="1449023551

I don't think a scene like that would be thrown in there if it isn't building up to anything. I expect we're going to see a very awkward moment where Patsy assumes Rudd is gay and finds out he's straight. (Either that, or we'll find out that Rudd is bi.)

I agree with you and I think they've been building up to it since episode 2. I posted in that thread that I thought they really made a point of showing Dr. Rudd's interest in Patsy's dancing. I think we'll find out Rudd is bi.

• Love 1

I agree with you and I think they've been building up to it since episode 2. I posted in that thread that I thought they really made a point of showing Dr. Rudd's interest in Patsy's dancing. I think we'll find out Rudd is bi.

And maybe something of a chubby chaser, too!

• Love 1

So, the title of this episode -- "Am I Still Me?" -- what's it mean?  Is it related to Jenna and Dawn's doppelgangers? 

I thought it interesting that Jenna introduced Dawn to Pippa and Sister Flixta saying, “This is my Dawn.” I felt like this episode was the “dawn” for some of the characters – Patsy has decided he’s gay; Jenna realizing that people think she is uncaring and that her research work is not appreciated; Birdie passing. I’m not sure about DiDi and Dawn’s dawn yet. Anyway, I’m probably reading way more into it than is there.

• Love 1

I thought it interesting that Jenna introduced Dawn to Pippa and Sister Flixta saying, “This is my Dawn.” I felt like this episode was the “dawn” for some of the characters – Patsy has decided he’s gay; Jenna realizing that people think she is uncaring and that her research work is not appreciated; Birdie passing. I’m not sure about DiDi and Dawn’s dawn yet. Anyway, I’m probably reading way more into it than is there.

I like this symbolism. I also think they showed Dawn's and DiDi's as well. 

Dawn's was when she saw Flixta come out of that office from giving what's his name a BJ, that was definitely a realization shot of Dawn's face.  She then cuts her dialysis short, then she finally tells Patsy that her life is too short and she needs to spend the rest of it doing things and spending time with what matters, or something to that effect.  Then with DiDi, the look on her face after her husband says that he's glad she "got him" to marry her and her look at all three of them when they leave said it all. Her sister in-law shouted out that she would be talking to her to figure out what they would do for Thanksgiving, but the look on DiDi's face as she  watched their backs stroll on out the door said that the holidays was the last thing on her mind.  The camera shot of her  just standing there, it was definitely a realization shot. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 4

I didn't realize that Dr. Pippa Moore and Sister Flixter (hee) were characters from the British Getting On. So funny how the show presented Pippa and Jenna, Den and Dawn -- and now that I type their names out, I see the resemblance continues.

I wild-guessed that Moore and Flixter were the Jenna-Dawn analogs from the British show, but never having seen the British show I'm still curious as to how close the analogs are. Like, besides that Moore runs the clinic and Flixter is her head nurse, is Moore a lot like Jenna and is Flixter a lot like Dawn? They didn't seem so much alike in this episode. But Moore-Flixter could be more like their American counterparts when they're in their own Brit universe.

The British series Getting On is available on Hulu for those who may be interested in seeing it and making comparisons. :-)

Thanks, 17wheatthins--I was wondering where it could be seen here.

I will watch it, but it might take a while, so I wonder if someone can scratch the itch of my curiosity in the meantime. Is Jenna a newly-imagined creation who only shares with Pippa the fact that the runs a geriatric wing and has an interest in poop, or at the other extreme is Jenna simply the "American version" of Pippa? Or is it somewhere in between? What are the similarities and differences in 25 words or less? :) 

And the same for Den/Dawn.

I couldn't help but think of Jackie Kennedy when blood squirted all over Dawn's dress. Jackie had been wearing a pink dress and little hat when JKF was assassinated. I don't know if the connection was intended. I can't think why the show would do that.

I think it was a very deliberate reference to Jackie Kennedy. In fact, as soon as she started struggling with the nurse, I knew that pink suit was getting splattered with blood. But what did it mean?

My favorite exchange of this episode was between Didi and Dr. James:

Didi:  "...but this is what my husband wants for the woman he calls his mama.  It's hard on me."  (The inflection in her voice was so poignant.)

Dr. James:  "You lead with your heart...how lovely.  Oh, my heart says 'do this.'  My heart says 'do that.'  Anybody can do that, Didi.  There's nothing *hard* about that."  (Truer words were never spoken.  I sympathized with her, as a woman leader in a male-dominated profession.  Making the tough choices in a world where women are expected to be empathetic and heart-driven...it can be a bit of a dichotomy.)

I loved this episode.

• Love 8

I think it was a very deliberate reference to Jackie Kennedy. In fact, as soon as she started struggling with the nurse, I knew that pink suit was getting splattered with blood. But what did it mean?

They were probably guided by the old maxim "Tragedy + Time = Comedy." The problem is, for those who were alive on 11/22/63, no amount of time can turn the events of that day into comedy.

• Love 1

Thanks, 17wheatthins--I was wondering where it could be seen here.

I will watch it, but it might take a while, so I wonder if someone can scratch the itch of my curiosity in the meantime. Is Jenna a newly-imagined creation who only shares with Pippa the fact that the runs a geriatric wing and has an interest in poop, or at the other extreme is Jenna simply the "American version" of Pippa? Or is it somewhere in between? What are the similarities and differences in 25 words or less? :)

And the same for Den/Dawn.

A lot of the plotlines, especially during season 1 and some of season 2, I believe, are similar so of course the characters are also similar in many ways. In others very different. Jenna and Pippa share the same interest in stool, although in season 3 UK Pippa moves on to geriatric vaginas. Den Flixter has her own Patsy (and his name is Hilary) which is where that storyline comes from. I'd say that both Jenna and Dawn are definitely more manic and hysterical, although Pippa and Den certainly have their moments. The same would go for Patsy/Hilary. Pippa's relationship with the nurses are similar to Jenna's.

Den is as much of a mess as Dawn, but less hysterical so it's not as noticeable, but all the relationship issues are there. I found her a bit out of character in this episode actually. Didn't entirely recognise her, but Pippa was absolutely her good old self, except she has just as many losses and is as absurd (while at the same time feeling like a person drawn from reality) as Jenna, only here Jenna was obviously being the "loser."

The British Getting On is in general a bit more understated but just as funny. I love them both and am glad that the American version is as good as it is because the original is one of my favorite shows. Didi's counterpart Kim is just as great, played by brilliantly by Jo Brand. A pity she didn't join the others.

Edited by joelene
  • Love 3

After the full-throttled HBO effect, the British version takes some getting used to. I just started season 2 and I'm wondering if I should just wait until the next HBO eps over and allow some time to pass.

The US version is a direct lift from the Brits, and the 3 ladies who wrote the show deserve all they respect they can get - and more. Brilliant doesn't do them justice.

I do enjoy the opening theme of the British version. Roll River Roll by Richard Hawley.

• Love 2

Dawn is the absolute worst!  Props to Alex Borstein and the show staff on this character's development.  My visceral reaction to her tonight was what I'd have toward a co-worker, not a television character!

I have been disappointed with Didi's passiveness this seasons (re:  her family drama), but I admired her patience and restraint with Jenna and Dawn.  They deserved a dressing down for their behavior at Ms. Birdie's service.

I love this show.  One episode left???  Forever???  :-(

• Love 4

Another excellent episode, but a bit of a mess.  Were Dawn's numbers out of whack because of the junk she was eating?  Has she been doing that for awhile, to purposely damage her kidneys so she'd really need a transplant? 

I didn't understand Didi refusing to give Dawn 30 seconds at the memorial.  Yeah, it wasn't the time or place, but what would it hurt to let Dawn say something when the service was over?

• Love 1

Dawn decided she wanted a transplant since she would get more attention and sympathy for that than she was getting for needing dialysis.  She then started eating poorly becuase she figured she was doing okay and having her numbers worsen would qualify her for a transplant.  Ostensibly, one of her reasons for preferring a transplant was she did not like the food restrictions recommended while on dialysis.  She was then shocked when her numbers crashed so hard so fast. 

I think Didi would have been okay with giving Dawn time at the memorial if she wanted to talk about loss.  The issue was her making a memorial service about her rather than about processing grief for the persons who died, especially given that Didi was handing out memorial oranges and had arranged a song to commemorate Miss Birdie.  As usual, with Dawn, Patsy and Jenna there were many battles for the center of attention.  Only Didi was trying to think about other people this episode. 

• Love 5

Only Didi was trying to think about other people this episode.

Didi did a rare thing. A lot of times a public event becomes a battleground for egos who want attention, but I believed Didi really did want to be front and center in front of the crowd for Miss Birdy's sake, not to show off.

I'm getting the sinking feeling that Dr. James is headed for a spectacular crash of some kind. She's unraveling.

Dawn's love of nasty wound care, and her raptures about "I & D'ing abscesses" was bizarrely hilarious.

Too bad we couldn't see more of Patsy's dawning attraction to the cute new doctor. How the passive-aggressive, insecure but determined Patsy handles that is worth an entire episode.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 2

This show is so brave in how it depicts its characters, esp Dawn and Jenna. Esp Dawn. Wow. 

I'm not sure if she really expected her numbers to change so drastically after eating all that junk. She was certainly rebelling against medical advice and what she considers her bad luck. And I suppose she wanted to change her numbers enough to warrant a transplant, but she sure looked genuinely shocked by how bad her numbers were.

Her shameless pleading for a kidney donor, and making her husband get Didi to ask for donors, was so cringeworthy. That pamphlet was ridiculous. It was funny, but man, it made me groan at her.

It was kind of gross hearing her enthuse about wound cleaning, and yet I must admit I'm kind of the same. My son is a chronic nail biter, and his fingers have gotten infected several times. Last night I actually was pricking his finger trying to get the pus out. I like to get it out.

And then Jenna. I had forgotten she was married. I thought she was divorced. Anyway, I keep waiting for the big breakdown. I think I'll be disappointed if we don't see one. And yet, I'm confident that whatever the show does will be good.

Was Marla really Varla's daughter? At first I had the feeling it was a scam. What were the documents she showed Varla? I thought there was something like "Jane Doe" on them. 

• Love 2

I actually thought the new doc was coming on to Patsy last week, and that Patsy really hadn't made any eyes toward him until then. Patsy did seem obsessed with the doc's sexual addiction admission. He really threw Jenna for a loop with that as well.

It was good seeing Daniel Stern again.

Only Dawn would sabotage her own health for pity's sake.

In Marlas segment, I love how they referenced Scientology without actually saying the name. Don't wanna risk those pesky lawyers.

I hadn't seen him before, so when Jenna was meeting with her husband, I kept thinking,  "he looks sooo familiar….Hey! Home Alone! Wet Bandits!"

Edited by LuciaMia
  • Love 2

I thought the show was going for a "Scientology-like" organization, but when Marla said she'd have her mom "clear" in no time, that seemed like a direct reference to Scientology.  Of course, the extent of my knowledge about it is the HBO doc "Going Clear" about Scientology.  LOL.

• Love 2

Marla also talked about "auditing" her mother. In Scientology, that's when the powers that be grill you about your behavior, history, etc. 

Scientologists are also very anti-psychiatry and drugs prescribed for the brain.