Type keyword(s) to search

Getting On - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yes she is and always has been. She's a lazy, manipulative endless pit of need.

But she's a good nurse.*  I was upset with Lisa (?) in this episode, when Dawn was taking care of that wound.  I'm pretty sure one of the first things taught in nursing school is not to show the gross-out face. 

peeayebee, me too -- I have no problem with pus, my own or someone else's.  But I could never be a nurse -- can't deal with puke. 

*Not as good as Didi though.

Yeah, it wasn't the time or place, but what would it hurt to let Dawn say something when the service was over?

I kind of agree with this. I'm not sure it would have been too bad if DiDi had said to Dawn that at the end of the service you can plead your case. It would have surely cut down on how crazy and desperate Dawn sounded. Dr. James forget about it, and I doubt she's gonna make good on giving Dawn a kidney, wow. 

Although, did Dawn always need a kidney, or did she speed up that diagnosis by failing to follow the doctor's orders?  Oh my goodness, she is so mentally ill, really she is...

Anyway, I'm also not sure that DiDi didn't want a little of the spotlight. I think that's why they had Dawn yell out that the song she was about to sing was not a song she sang with Ms. Birdie, or her favorite song, something to that effect.  I think Dawn was right, but...I guess I could see it as DiDi just wanting to include music at the service because usually memorial services to include some kind of music.

But it's possible that DiDi could have been a little self serving, only because there is no one on this show who doesn't have serious issues and whose worse character flaws aren't brought to light. DiDi has the better, or more personable, selfless character traits out of them all, but I still don't think that she's suppose to be some angel either. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 2

Don't kidneys need to be matched from donor to donee? 

Yep. And sometimes, even if you are a blood type match, you still aren't an exact match with the donee. (Went through this with my aunt. Luckily, she had a bunch of people willing to donate to her.) 

I kind of agree with this. I'm not sure it would have been too bad if DiDi had said to Dawn that at the end of the service you can plead your case. It would have surely cut down on how crazy and desperate Dawn sounded. Dr. James forget about it, and I doubt she's gonna make good on giving Dawn a kidney, wow. 

Although, did Dawn always need a kidney, or did she speed up that diagnosis by failing to follow the doctor's orders?  Oh my goodness, she is so mentally ill, really she is...

Anyway, I'm also not sure that DiDi didn't want a little of the spotlight. I think that's why they had Dawn yell out that the song she was about to sing was not a song she sang with Ms. Birdie, or her favorite song, something to that effect.  I think Dawn was right, but...I guess I could see it as DiDi just wanting to include music at the service because usually memorial services to include some kind of music.

But it's possible that DiDi could have been a little self serving, only because there is no one on this show who doesn't have serious issues and whose worse character flaws aren't brought to light. DiDi has the better, or more personable, selfless character traits out of them all, but I still don't think that she's suppose to be some angel either. 

I need to watch the ep again to be sure, but I think the service was for all those who were lost in some specific time period, not just Ms. Birdie, and that each mourner only had a little time to speak/sing/etc., and Dawn wanted some of Didi's time. So with other families there, it seems wildly inappropriate for Dawn to troll for a kidney at that service.  She is just the worst.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 5

.I need to watch the ep again to be sure, but I think the service was for all those who were lost in some specific time period, not just Ms. Birdie, and that each mourner only had a little time to speak/sing/etc., and Dawn wanted some of Didi's time. So with other families there, it seems wildly inappropriate for Dawn to troll for a kidney at that service.  She is just the worst.

Yeah, you're right, it was a memorial service for all the deceased who've died over a certain period of time. I was just considering that maybe DiDi was being a little grabby with the spotlight, but I'm not sure.

I'm just saying it was a possibility, but it's hard to tell, because DiDi really does not come off as wanting attention. 

And from reading your post, I'm reminded that DiDi wasn't in charge of the memorial service itself, so she had no authority to give Dawn a few minutes at the end of the service even if she wanted to. 

I guess Dawn said, fuck it, these people are already dead, and I'm desperate to stay alive. 

Except is she? 

That's what makes her less than sympathetic, she seems to not be following doctors orders and making an effort to NOT take care of herself. So in all honesty, Dawn needed to have several seats.

Edited by represent
  • Love 2
Was Marla really Varla's daughter? At first I had the feeling it was a scam. What were the documents she showed Varla? I thought there was something like "Jane Doe" on them.

I guess my question would be, what would be the point of running a scam on Varla?  From her last appearance, wasn't she basically homeless and crazy?  I would think even if you could get access to her government benefits, it would never be worth it.  Didn't they say they found her behind a dumpster or something this time?  I think the document Marla showed Varla was a birth certificate. 

Edited by txhorns79

Although, did Dawn always need a kidney, or did she speed up that diagnosis by

But being a nurse, Dawn would have realized that her worsening condition would put her near the top of the transplant list and should have eased her desperation a bit.

What also made her pleading so cringe-worthy was it coming right after that couple talking about losing their two-day old baby. Yikes!

Interesting that they cast Kristen Johnston as a Scientologist character. She's said that not a day goes by when she isn't mistaken for Kirstie Alley (one of the world's most famous Scientologists).

And I don't know if anyone else here watches Mom, but June Squibb recently played a women who was mistaken for another character's long lost mother. When the family members realized she wasn't, in fact, the mother, they decided they liked her so much that they kept her around anyway! Quite a bit different than her character here.

Anyway...I find it hard to believe the doctors and nurses would be kept away from their patients while the patients were still there (and might be there for up to 48 more hours). I get that they wanted a dramatic ending, but that seemed very implausible.

As for Dawn, I agree that she was trying to sabotage her health - but I also think she just desperately wanted to binge on unhealthy food. Food has always been a big issue for her, and she's been complaining for a while about how agonizing it is for her to stick to a kidney-healthy diet.

Did we already know that Marguerite (aka Marmoset) had the last name of Macaw? That cracked me up.

I just saw Laurie Metcalf in Misery on broadway with Bruce Willis. He was too laid back but she is incredible. What an actress. Bowled over. You totally forget kathy bates.

In this episode a moment where she stands still in the middle of the room registering, my mom died, could not have been more clear. I've never seen a moment like that filmed before, explains her manic behavior at the party.

And the way she deflected when she thought they were calling Her at the award ceremony and then pretended to see something...

• Love 3

Oh thwre was blackmail.

The hospital was dumping patients about to die in billy barnes so they could keep their death statistics low and qualify for higher government benefits.

This is unethical and illegal... Like hospitals improperly transferring patients to rehab so that if they die, it's not on their record. That happened to my dad. Don't go to university hospital newark.

Oh thwre was blackmail.

The hospital was dumping patients about to die in billy barnes so they could keep their death statistics low and qualify for higher government benefits.

This is unethical and illegal... Like hospitals improperly transferring patients to rehab so that if they die, it's not on their record. That happened to my dad. Don't go to university hospital newark.

I'm asking about the blackmail that came earlier, though. It was mentioned at the beginning of season 2, well before Susie informed Jenna about the hospital distorting its death statistics.

I agree with this. Yes, Didi could have been more selfless at the memorial, giving Dawn her time without making a fuss about it, despite that it wasn't supposed to be "about that." But Didi is a human being, too. I like that the show doesn't make anyone an angel or a devil. Didi has an ego, and Patsy-Dawn-Jenna have the occasional moment of professionalism and competence.

• Love 1

Series Finale :(

DiDi takes to the picket lines in a last-ditch effort to save Billy Barnes; Jenna tries to get out of a hastily made offer; Patsy and Margueritte share secrets; Dawn inadvertently sets a chain of events in motion that seals the fate of the ward.

Amazing finale. Marguerite coming out as trans came out of left field, but I didn't mind it. Patsy was an ass, like always. And Jenna still gave Dawn her kidney, even though she found out what a bullshitter she was and that she was intentionally making her situation worse. What a gal. I'm going to miss this show.

• Love 5

I felt sad for Didi.  When she was railing against management and not feeling empowered, I'm guessing that extends to her personal life as well.  I hope she's able to take back her power, both professionally and personally (and why am I talking about the character as if she's real???  Testament to a great show, I guess).

When Ron came running around the corner SHIRTLESS while holding Dr. James, I laughed so hard that the cough I've almost recovered from came back!!!  Did I see romantic sparks between the 2?

It was heartwarming to see Dawn appreciating all of the people in her life (Didi, Patsy, Dennis, Uncle).  Maybe she's growing up.  Finally.

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 4

Nice finale. Burning the place to the ground (perhaps not literally) was perfect.

Loved shirtless Ron carrying Jenna. So funny. And Patsy having a panic attack and being pulled along the floors by the other nurses was great too.

I thought that might be Janis Ian but I wasn't sure. I watched the credits to make sure.

• Love 3

Magnificent finale for this wonderful series. Hysterical AND poignant.

Wished the show could have gone on forever. There was so much truth in it. About the health care system and human nature. It was always brilliantly written, filmed and performed. What a gem of a series.

And go Didi. Niecy Nash gets some of the best lines and just nails them.

• Love 3

This might be one of the best series finales I've ever seen. I laughed, I cried, I laughed some more. Shirtless Ron carrying Jenna out of the burning building might have been a cheap laugh on a lesser show but they managed to strike just the right balance between realistic and absurd.

• Love 5

What was Patsy trying to do by hacking up the piano with an axe?

That was hysterical. I guess he knew firefighters used axes but didn't know what to do with one, so... chop up the piano. BTW, did Patsy have anything to do with bringing the piano into Billie Barnes in the first place? (I can't remember that far back.)

• Love 2

So now we know why they say you shouldn't put metal in a microwave!

Still not clear that while Dawn was sabotaging her health , her worsening conniption would have put her at the top of the transplant list. Yet she as still trolling among the staff for a donor kidney.  Is a living transplant a better bet than a cadaver one?

Edited by LuciaMia

This show is/was magnificent, and its diversity knows no bounds, it's just awesome. But that's HBO, and that's why I watch most of their programming.

I wish they could find a way to bring it back. I think they've done that with a show or two, given it another chance somewhere down the line. 

I said it once and I'll say it again, I hope Hollywood gives Metcalf and this show some acknowledgement. 

Jenna: There is no justice, but there is mercy. That's what we can give.

Yep, this was the line of the night and I teared up a bit when she said it. 

And also (paraphrasing) "We fought hard to save this place but it wasn't enough."  I felt like they were talking about saving the show itself.

Yep I did too, in addition to what she was saying to Rita Moreno's character about getting the word out on social media etc.. people are just not interested in old women....I thought that scene was about the show as well.

Edited by represent
  • Love 5

What a sublime finale. I wept because I knew I was saying goodbye to old friends.

And Patsy having a panic attack and being pulled along the floors by the other nurses was great too.

And then when safe, standing up and hissing "don't coddle me" and stalking off. Aw, Pats, don't ever change.

All I want for Christmas is for this series to find a new home.

• Love 5

I completely enjoyed the episode, but I was somewhat sad/distracted during the show because I knew it was the final show.  So, I kind of watched it in a grieving state.  I am going to rewatch it.  Even with the state I was in, I managed to belly laugh at several scenes.  I will definitely write to HBO and let them know what a great show it  was.  It never dissapointed me, from the writing to the acting.  Everything was completely flawless.  There is so much crap on tv that gets recognized every day and yet somehow this show was never mentioned or promoted.  I feel as if I have lost friends.  I usually don't connect with shows on this level.  I guess that is a testament to the actors making the characters appear real.

• Love 6

I actually waited until last night (48 whole hours!) to watch the finale because ... well, to extend its life in my warped mind. I love this show beyond belief.

What an amazing, amazing episode ... to echo others, I laughed, I wept, I fell in love with DiDi all over again like I do every episode, but especially her face framed in the door ... she is so beautiful!

I also loved the cameo (is it a cameo when you're on throughout the show?) by Janis Ian. Her voice is still so beautiful ... also (because I notice these things anyway but especially with this show this season), obviously a lot more music than usual but glad that it was a music supervisor/coordinator's dream of not probably having to worry about getting any of the rights cleared!!!

I would give anything for them to come up with a way to revive this series ... and hoping that the subplot of them all moving to (can't remember the name of the hospital where Rita Moreno works) gives them that flicker of hope for continuity!

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 3

My favorite lines in this episode were the small ones.  Jenna’s “Oh god” when Dawn calls Patsy into the group hug and Didi’s “Oh shit” when Patsy got up and said “Don’t coddle me” were so perfect.  Damn I’m going to miss this show.

• Love 1

My favorite lines in this episode were the small ones.  Jenna’s “Oh god” when Dawn calls Patsy into the group hug

I died laughing. But even funnier for me was each and every one of Jenna's reactions to Janis Ian's character singing, OMG, just hilarious.  Especially when Jenna turns around and sees her sitting closer to her office when a minute ago she was sitting to her right on the other side of the hall and she does the laugh/cry saying "How did she get over there?..." Then giving in and singing because Rita Moreno's character, being her future employer starts to sing along.

Just the best television.

Edited by represent
  • Love 3

Jenna: There is no justice, but there is mercy. That's what we can give.

Great finale.

And Janis Ian!

I came here to ask who the beautiful voiced one was... I know the song is janis Ian's but just didn't put it together. What a delightful in joke! Of course she's old enough now... My fave commercial right now is a hippie dancing then pausing to a sa"if you were a hippy during the age of Aquarius, you should know there's new hope for osteoporosis!"

I thought it was hilarious how she kept singing these downer songs and they wanted to move her.

Laurie Metcalf makes jenna absolutely compelling. Half the time Shes so horrible and then you see her spring into action and say something truly profound.

I was hoping her husband would show up at the door.

I didn't realize it was a series finale... Though it did feel like one. Loved the hint that the hospital could be in big trouble for no working sprinkler systems.

And I too hope someone picks the series up.

• Love 1

Why hasn't didis husband volunteered to give a kidney? Was there a line about them not being a match?

Did you mean Didi's husband or Dawn's husband?  Or am I missing something?

Edited by Morgalisa

Patsy hopping up after the women dragged him to safety was a scream.  I hope to see that actor in the future because he was able to be so simultaneously humbled/pathetic and infuriating, all while still being completely believably "that guy" that any one of us might have in the workplace... he's truly gifted.  

I don't think Dawn necessarily wanted to eat herself into a transplant -- she wanted to eat herself into sympathy from Dr. Dialysis Encouragement.  She craved attention, and the occasional "wow, you're doing awesome, no need to linger at your bedside" was never going to compete on the Munchausen attention spectrum with having more troubling labwork.  This is a woman who stood before a room full of people who had just lost loved ones, including a couple who had just buried their child, and launched straight into her blighted ovum story!  (The reaction shots of the crowd were also wonderful - very realistic shifting eyes of dismay!)

• Love 1

When the woman started singing, I thought, "Wow, she really has a beautiful voice."  Later, I thought, "These Janis Ian songs are perfect."

Hello, I was 17 when Between The Lines was released.  I've hauled that album around my whole life; I can see it from where I'm sitting right now.  And still it never crossed my mind Mrs. Belfontaine was actually Janis Ian.  Thank you all for clueing me in.

I found this nice NYT article about Ms. Ian.  (Who's only 64.  Whew.)  She doesn't need me to take her in and take care of her. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/fashion/weddings/janis-ian-and-patricia-snyders-relationship-builds-upon-decades-of-social-upheaval.html?_r=0

Episode question:  my DVR cut off right at the end.  I saw Didi at the window, then Patsy, for half a second.  CUT.  Anything else after that?

• Love 1