Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: The Expedition Approximation

Penny and Leonard argue! Bernadette is a shrew! Rats! Yay?

Actually, the rats were pretty frickin' cute.

Penny should not have tried to give Leonard the money back. He's right, it was a gift. I did like the joint account option, it made the most sense.

There were some laughs, but the very end was disappointing. I expected more payoff than Sheldon repeating something he had already said.

• Love 1

Out of curiosity I googled "hot, dark and moist" and got very different results from Sheldon.  Most of the ones that came up for me were for gingerbread and chocolate cake.

• Love 11

Aw I kind of liked this one.

I’m glad they’re addressing the money issue with Penny and Leonard, even if a little. It’s realistic conflict. It’ll be interesting to see how their dynamic does change as Penny gains money and confidence.

Had several laughs this episode, courtesy of Kaley – her silent drinking after Leonard called himself a genius in bed, and her wanting to know if Howard got a star, and just her general facial expressions.

And I can’t say how glad I am that Leonard threw out his hoodies and started wearing colorful button-downs.

Sheldon was not an asshole for a change, and I liked his conversation with Raj during their torturous 11-minute stay in the steam room. They could have toned Howard and Bernie down a bit and added much more Amy, but it wasn’t a bad episode.

• Love 7

Does Penny like anything about Leonard? She doesn't listen when he talks about things he enjoys, she can't even fake that she enjoys sex with him, I just don't get it. The dynamic between them is very odd, and frankly, not very funny to me. When they were arguing about the money, I said "just use in on the wedding!" I guess Penny didn't think about that, getting married seems to be the farthest thing from her mind.

• Love 16

What did Raj say after Sheldon left him in the steam tunnels with the rats (right after Amy had the "11 minutes" line)?  Was it just random screaming, or were there words? 

Raj basically called Sheldon a lousy friend for leaving him to fend for himself against a family of rats.

• Love 1

She doesn't listen when he talks about things he enjoys

I can't speak for this episode as I haven't had a chance to see it yet but to me one of the funniest little bits of comedy they give Kaley to do is the way she'll drop scientific or Star Trek/Wars info into a conversation and then do a double take.  So she really is listening IMO.

• Love 7

What did Raj say after Sheldon left him in the steam tunnels with the rats (right after Amy had the "11 minutes" line)?  Was it just random screaming, or were there words?

I couldn't figure that out either.  Raj was still in the tunnel, and it sounded like he screamed the word shark, but without closed captioning on my TV, I'm at a loss too.

I'm disappointed that they're making Bernadette into such an asshole about the money.  She's had some valid points in the past about Howard wasting large amounts of money, but tonight's episode with her & Howard really made her look like a shrew, IMO.  I also hated that Penny had no idea that selling the car that Leonard gave her would hurt his feelings.  It seems like the writers are making them more incompatible weekly, and I don't like it!  It was nice to see Raj have a more active role in the episode, not just a tag-a-long to Howard.

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 5

It was an ok episode. I don't know why the writing can't be fresh. We hear the same jokes and pranks every week! Bernadette is a shrew about money, Howard is pussy whipped, Penney & Leonard's bickering. I did giggle at Sheldon and Raj and Star Trek/Voyage banter. So there was that...

• Love 1

Does Penny like anything about Leonard? She doesn't listen when he talks about things he enjoys, she can't even fake that she enjoys sex with him, I just don't get it. The dynamic between them is very odd, and frankly, not very funny to me. When they were arguing about the money, I said "just use in on the wedding!" I guess Penny didn't think about that, getting married seems to be the farthest thing from her mind.

The problem is the dynamic has never progressed much beyond he is still kind of nerdy and just glad that he is with a hot girl, she is just glad he is not a jerk like her other boyfriends even if there is no chemistry between them.

And yes, the simple solution was just save the money in a joint account and use it on the wedding, their future......the fact that this straightforward and obvious solution took some time for them to think of, and then still didn't really work, just proves they aren't really ready to get married, IMO.

It was an OK episode. For once a felt a little bad for Sheldon. Even though he can be a jerk at times he is the one character that actually breaks out some fairly poignant speeches and his life, his nature and his upbringing. This was one of them. It was like when he explained why he didn't like Christmas.

Plus there is no way I could go down into a mine like that, the claustrophobia alone would drive me crazy.

• Love 2

He kept screaming, "They're in my shirt!  They're in my shirt! They're in my shirt!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Yeah, if it's not love, then there is no excuse for Leonard and Penny.

The writers need to let Leonard BE a genius in bed. There's no reason on earth why he couldn't be. He's sensitive, alert, down-to-earth, perceptive and intelligent. I think in the cases of both Leonard and Howard, sex is something they've obsessed over and studied. Social status and level of attractiveness are their obstacles, not a lack of talent or even skill.

It makes no sense whatsoever for Penny to keep coming back to Leonard over and over, to say his name when she's kissing someone else, etc....unless he really does turn her on. It makes sense for her to put him off because she hopes to date someone with real pull in the world of theatre or film, and keep falling into bed with him, as she has done. It makes sense for her to just want to marry Leonard ASAP for security.

What does not make sense, is for her to have wanted this casual relationship all these years, in which she kept falling into bed with Leonard but refusing to admit she loved him, unless the sex is out of this world. Because until recently, she has not allowed Leonard to bring anything else to the table.

Edited by Hecate7
  • Love 4

The problem is the dynamic has never progressed much beyond he is still kind of nerdy and just glad that he is with a hot girl, she is just glad he is not a jerk like her other boyfriends even if there is no chemistry between them.

If the writers have any balls and creative skills, they should explore the above idea more - what's keeping them together? What if Penny's job leads to more money, more confidence, more self-sufficiency...and the realization that she might be with Leonard largely because she didn't have any of those things years ago? "She's hot and he's not a jerk" does not seem to be a good enough dynamic to keep the main romantic couple of the show together.

• Love 5

With that haircut and bitchy personality that Penny has this season, there's not even either of those things to keep him with her. It just doesn't compute. I'm guessing we're moving towards a very long, drawn out, cliffhanger at the end of the season where the wedding is called off, maybe even at the altar. 

• Love 2

I agree that Penny wanting to spend the rest of her life with Leonard is bizarre, but I found myself actually liking Penny -- and Kaley -- this ep. Maybe that's because she came across as intelligent and self-confident. 

I didn't completely disagree with Penny's decision to sell the car and give the money to Leonard. She probably should have first told him what she wanted to do before she actually did it. It does seem like a no-brainer to put the money aside for their wedding or honeymoon. 

One part I really loved was that after sarcastically asking him if she should have framed a photo of them in the car, she happily reveals that she did just that. I thought that was a sweet, funny, surprising, and wonderful moment.

One scene that confused me was when they were in the bedroom putting the money on the bed, and after Leonard says something about having sex on top of it, Penny gets really uncomfortable. Did she think they were just going to lie on top of it?

I didn't care for seeing Howard and Bernadette fighting about money. I think Bernadette has finally become unlikable to me.

As for the Sheldon/Raj storyline, I mostly liked it. I LOVED the mining song. I assume it was a real song, not written for the show. When we see the giant rats behind Raj, I laughed out loud. I don't know why. And I loved when Amy said it had been 11 minutes. 

What was on Sheldon's t-shirt in his last scene?

Some lines I liked:

Sheldon: Are they making fun of us?
Raj: Yes.
Sheldon: I miss the old days when I couldn't tell.

Sheldon: I'm tempted to crack you open and suck the air right out of your lungs.

• Love 4

One scene that confused me was when they were in the bedroom putting the money on the bed, and after Leonard says something about having sex on top of it, Penny gets really uncomfortable. Did she think they were just going to lie on top of it?

Leonard thought that sex on money would be a first for Penny.  Her reaction revealed that's she's already done that.

• Love 5

Howard should not be taking an allowance from Bernadette. 

Why not? She makes more money than he does. We wouldn't criticize if it were the other way around.

Howard is smart enough to get a PhD and a better position at the University, and he really should go for it. But I don't see the problem with Bernadette helping him out, or even with her managing all of the money and making the financial decisions. Not everyone is good with money.

Penny keeps showing over and over that she has always been more sentimental about Leonard than we thought, even from the beginning. I think that we will find out that even when she makes twice what he does doing her pharm rep job, she will still want to marry him. I think she actually doesn't trust him to really want to marry her. She didn't spend the money on the wedding because that's too much like spending it on herself.

• Love 2

Why not? She makes more money than he does. We wouldn't criticize if it were the other way around.

I would criticize it if it were the other way around.  I can understand them discussing big purchases, but for her to give him the third degree over his occasional E-Bay purchases is just too much, IMO. I'm glad that my spouse and I don't have that kind of dynamic!  We know our budget, and we are okay with each other's minor purchases here and there.  Any major purchase is up for discussion though.

• Love 12

Does Penny like anything about Leonard? She doesn't listen when he talks about things he enjoys, she can't even fake that she enjoys sex with him, I just don't get it. The dynamic between them is very odd, and frankly, not very funny to me

Penny 2.0 is just grating on my last nerve and making this season nearly unwatchable. She's just flat out unlikable this season.

Penny's been overrated for the entirety of the show, but this season has really turned her into an intolerable asshole.  Meh.

I agree with everyone's Penny 2.0 comments.  She comes off as snobbish and entitled.  What, she's gotten one check and suddenly the entire dynamic of the relationship has changed and she acts like she's being sensitive to Leonard's feelings on the matter?  Just no.  Who would sell a car that was a gift from a boyfriend without talking to him about it first?

I see nothing between Penny and Leonard that suggests they should even keep dating, let alone get married. 

I thought sweaty Raj was kinda hot.

Edited by Enjay
  • Love 2
I thought sweaty Raj was kinda hot.

If you are referring to the very last scene, I absolutely agree with you.  I also thought his acting there was better than usual.  I started thinking that Kunal Nayyar could have a successful acting career after BBT.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 6

I really hated that Sheldon abandoned Raj in the tunnel.  He didn't even warn him about the rats.  Raj's reaction when he got to the apartment was filled with anger and hurt, i. e., not funny, and Sheldon's non-reaction was just inexcusable.  I really felt bad for Raj.

• Love 10

We are finally getting some character development - but it's slightly stilted. Penny has a job. Fantastic. She's finally joined the adult world and got a low-level job. But for her to act like the dynamic has changed is ridiculous. I don't know how she goes from embarrased to be a waitress when Leonard is a physicist to feeling accomplished and "sensitive" after two weeks at her new job. The joint account was a sensible decsion, but if I were Leonard I would have put Penny in her place. If she wants to count nickels and dimes and give him all his money back, she should feel free to do so - but I have a feeling that as she counts how much she actually owes him she will retract very very quickly. 

• Love 1

I would. A married couple should not give 'allowances' to each other. I realize most couples are different, but if you do not trust someone enough to give them access to your money, you should NOT be marrying them.

• Love 10
A married couple should not give 'allowances' to each other. I realize most couples are different, but if you do not trust someone enough to give them access to your money, you should NOT be marrying them.

Unless they're saving Howard's entire paycheck I'm unclear as to why he needs an allowance. Can't he dip into his own wages? Surely he can't be spending all of his wage on half the rent and half the utilities?

• Love 3

When I was growing up both of my parents worked, my Mom managed the money.  Each parent had an "allowance" or "stipend" every week. I did not see this as odd or strange. We kids also got funded and had to manage bus fares, school lunches, etc.

• Love 6

I really enjoyed this episode.

I understand why Penny wanted to give the money back to Leonard. She's starting to make some real money of her own and I'm sure this was a moment of pride for her. I like that they decided to start a discussion about money in preparation for being married. And they came up with a good solution, one that most married couples I know have done.

And why Penny likes Leonard: He's sweet, thoughtful, funny... why wouldn't she love him?

• Love 10

Unless they're saving Howard's entire paycheck I'm unclear as to why he needs an allowance.

Because it is a sitcom  and it was funny! I think it is because he did not have good judgment on spending money.

• Love 2

I actually thought Leonard was right to be hurt that Penny sold the car without consulting him.  It was a fairly recent and expensive gift, and it would have been a courtesy to say, "hey, with the company car, do I really need my own car?"  And about the company car:  many have restrictions about pleasure driving or about allowing others to drive it, and of course the car is gone immediately if the job goes away.  I would not sell my own car when having access to a company car (which I have). 

• Love 6

What does not make sense, is for her to have wanted this casual relationship all these years, in which she kept falling into bed with Leonard but refusing to admit she loved him, unless the sex is out of this world.

Early impressions are important. After a disappointing first time, Leonard googled what to do and impressed Penny enough for her to call him a genius. It would appear that Leonard's been a bit slow in recognizing when what he's been doing isn't working (any more?) and stepping up his game again without her having to risk hurting his feelings saying something. She's looking at his pattern of success starting with that first googling and discounting the rest.

Out of curiosity I googled "hot, dark and moist" and got very different results from Sheldon.  Most of the ones that came up for me were for gingerbread and chocolate cake.

Same here, but if a search engine sees a relationship to recent results or sites that have left a browser record, it'll factor that into what it gives you. I guess that says something about what Sheldon has been surfing on his computer.

Howard should not be taking an allowance from Bernadette.

Why not? Howard acts like a child particularly in this episode.Pretty soon Bernadette will be packing his lunch with smiley face notes and a juice box. 

Which is a damn shame. Snarky, slightly skeevy Howard can be hilarious. When he and Amy discovered their mutual love for Neil Diamond, hysterical and reasonably grown up. 

• Love 4

I would criticize it if it were the other way around.  I can understand them discussing big purchases, but for her to give him the third degree over his occasional E-Bay purchases is just too much, IMO. I'm glad that my spouse and I don't have that kind of dynamic!  We know our budget, and we are okay with each other's minor purchases here and there.  Any major purchase is up for discussion though.

Howard has been previously shown to irresponsibly spend money on frivolous things so I don't fault Bernadette for interrogating him over his eBay purchases. I'm betting that whatever he just bought absolutely DOES qualify as a major purchase.

• Love 3

Why not? Howard acts like a child particularly in this episode.Pretty soon Bernadette will be packing his lunch with smiley face notes and a juice box. 

Which is a damn shame. Snarky, slightly skeevy Howard can be hilarious. When he and Amy discovered their mutual love for Neil Diamond, hysterical and reasonably grown up. 

Howard is a child in some areas, growing up and very insightful and mature in others.

Some people aren't good with money. Should they therefore remain celibate for life? Even if they have other excellent qualities? Howard earns money, and is willing to go on doing so. He just has problems with impulse control and with budgeting, when it comes to money. Bernadette doesn't.

Equality in a couple does not mean that they must be equivalent in all ways. There may be some things Howard can do, that Bernadette can't, and vice versa. Since she is more responsible with money than he is, it makes perfect sense that she manages the money. Not every couple does things exactly the same way.

• Love 6

I don't mind couples having an "allowance" and I think a chore list is a good idea. But there is a grown up way of doing those things. My problem is that Howard always act like a child with Bernie and Bernie is acting like his mother. I don't think it's funny. I enjoy the two of them much better when they have separate story lines away from each other. 

• Love 8

I actually thought Leonard was right to be hurt that Penny sold the car without consulting him. It was a fairly recent and expensive gift, and it would have been a courtesy to say, "hey, with the company car, do I really need my own car?" And about the company car: many have restrictions about pleasure driving or about allowing others to drive it, and of course the car is gone immediately if the job goes away. I would not sell my own car when having access to a company car (which I have).

How did she know Leonard didn't want to keep that one and sell his?

I enjoyed the episode.

Actually, the plotline that Howard has essentially turned Bernadette into his Mother 2.0 is one of the few that kind of makes sense to me. Many people tend to try unconciously to recreate the patterns they grew up with and Howard's relationship with his mother was all kinds of codependent.

It's been those incidents when he has acted like a child (avoided chores, lied, spent extravagantly without telling her, etc.) that in turn caused Bernie to behave more like his mother. It's no wonder he gets an "allowance," especially since last episode she reminded them they're saving for a house.

• Love 7

How did she know Leonard didn't want to keep that one and sell his?

He didn't buy a car and loan it to Penny, he bought Penny a car and gave it to her.  I can understand him being hurt if she turned around and sold it without talking about it to him first but he doesn't really get to say what happens to the car. 

• Love 5
Same here, but if a search engine sees a relationship to recent results or sites that have left a browser record, it'll factor that into what it gives you. I guess that says something about what Sheldon has been surfing on his computer.

I love this theory! Looks like Sheldon isn't the prude he wants us to think he is :D 

As regards Bernardette and Howard - yes, there are couples who delegate the management of money to one partner. I see nothing wrong with that, or with stipends and allowances if the couple is wanting to save up etc. What rubbed me the wrong way is that Howard was clearly unhappy with the arrangement and Bernardette seemed oblivious to this (or worse, knew he was unhappy and didn't care). Yes, many couples tend to seek parental figures in their spouses but the Bernardette and Howard dynamic crosses that line between funny and creepy in my opinion. 

Edited by lovedwallflower
  • Love 2

Penny has felt like a failure ever since she moved from Nebraska.  She was forced to acknowledge in several episodes that her acting career was not taking off, and over the past 11 seasons she's had to own up to the idea that it's never going to happen.  She's shown us that she took this to mean she's not smart enough or pretty enough to do anything but be a waitress, or else play the part of a girl who turns into a gorilla.  Now, suddenly, she's got a job that it takes some brains to succeed at, and she's doing well.  Only really attractive people get chosen to be pharmaceutical reps, and so she's feeling better about that too.  Leonard's given her so much, and Sheldon et al keep teasing her about being a mooch.  I don't think it's odd that once she got set in a new career, she'd want to repay Leonard.  It's the first time she's felt like she's a capable, successful adult, and she wanted to do what adults do: repay her debts.

After a disappointing first time, Leonard googled what to do and impressed Penny enough for her to call him a genius.

Yes, that was the point I came here to make.  Leonard still thinks that what he does in bed is genius and Penny doesn't want to burst his bubble.  I don't know about you guys, but that moment has come up sooner or later many times in my life -- a night when the guy is so pleased with his efforts, and I don't want to spoil it by saying Meh.  Usually the rhythm comes back around the next time or so, and I just have to wait for that to happen. Girls talk, and I know I'm not the only one who's experienced this.

As for Bernadette: yes, she's a shrill and bossy shrew.  And that's exactly what Howard wanted in a wife.  He had the perfect relationship with his mother, and he wanted a wife who would treat him just like his mother does, only plus sex.  There's a cliche about all men want to marry their mothers, and this situation pokes fun at that little bit of truth.

• Love 7

He didn't buy a car and loan it to Penny, he bought Penny a car and gave it to her. I can understand him being hurt if she turned around and sold it without talking about it to him first but he doesn't really get to say what happens to the car.

No, but if they are engaged, she should have given him the option of taking possession of the newer car and selling his. Her giving him the money back was rude. She was basically returning the gift. Involving him in the decision would have been nicer.

• Love 1

After reading all these comments, I don't think I want to make time to watch this episode after all. It doesn't sound like there was very much 'funny' in it.

You should watch it, if only for the Sheldon and Raj scenes.  It was actually a decent episode.  Squirmy, but decent.

• Love 1
No, but if they are engaged, she should have given him the option of taking possession of the newer car and selling his.

The newer car though is not a new car.  I thought it was pretty clear when Leonard bought it that it was a second hand car and while better than what she had was not a big investment and not a car like his own.  Anyway why would Leonard who can well afford to run a car of his own and still buy his girlfriend a car want to take possession of a second (now at least third) hand car?  I didn't see the episode though, did Leonard himself say he wanted the car or was that just speculation that this is something he should have wanted here?

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 2