Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 10/13/14

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Didn't see this week's thread started yet so figured I'd get us going.

Upcoming Guests

Monday 10/13:  Russell Brand

Tuesday 10/14:  Laverne Cox; Meghan McCain

Wednesday 10/15: Gloria Estefan; Nicole Richie

Thursday 10/16: Alan Cumming; Tessa Thompson

Friday 10/17: Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick

• Love 1

Wow! Excellent line-up!  I may actually watch this week.  So far, I saved episodes, deleted them yesterday, and saved myself some DVR space as well as frustration--with Whoops most of all for (still) being arrogant and just WRONG on her skewed world-view.  Frustration also with Rosie O for being tooooo quiet.  The posts here said it all for me.  Thanks, everyone. 

(I would like to see Rosie P's dresses, though--she has turned into such a class act, I am beyond impressed.  Nichole--still Meh.

It seemed to be live & I really enjoyed it.  Nicolle's part of the interview with Russell Brand was quite cute but to the point.  I think he liked her, but then ....  (He was pitching his book.)

All in all, a good show with interesting topics.

Edited by Medicine Crow
  • Love 3

Glad to see they raked Nancy Snyderman over the coals for breaking quarantine; it was a nice antidote to the thinly veiled racism /classism being leveled against Thomas Duncan's family -- from one end of the internet to the other -- for being dirty, not very bright immigrants unable or unwilling to follow orders.

• Love 7

Whoppi saying they should update things like their TV habits is a far cry from what would have happened the last few years.  And shock!  It wasn't an ABC show!

Side note: the initial press releases for the remodel indicated there was supposed to be a "social media station."  So far, no sign, so I'm guessing someone shot that idea down.  Thank jeebus! 

• Love 7

Nichole apologized for feeling judgmental about a TV character on Homeland..... Rosie acknowledged her feelings.... Nichole said good... Republicans feel so judgmental.

Didn't we already know that??

Edited by RogerFromOhio
  • Love 1

Whoopi gets it wrong on two big stories, sigh.  They are screening people in West Africa before they board flights and it's seven football players that have been arrested, not 17.

I think when Nicolle said she didn't want Brand getting cross with her, she was referring to an awkward incident on Morning Joe, and she was also somewhat awkward during the Nancy Snyderman discussion due to the MS/NBC affiliation.

What happened to the Abby Lee talk/segment that was announced in the opening?

I'm with Nicolle and Ro, totally being judgey about Carrie and her baby, yelled at the teevee when Carrie started drowning her, but Ro?  There is a nanny and her sister.

I think I'm being really fussy today.

• Love 3

I haven't seen the all of the show yet, but caught part of hot topics about the NJ football team.

I just want to say how happy I am they actually said in some detail what these senior students did to the younger boys. That is not bullying that is sexual assault!

While I sat in the waiting room as the view played, a woman sitting a few chairs down from me said" why did have to say that?" Referring to the woman on the View. I spoke up and, said "I think we need to know so we don't just brush it off as horse play by teen footballers."

She didn't say anything.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 8

Whoopi gets it wrong on two big stories, sigh.  They are screening people in West Africa before they board flights and it's seven football players that have been arrested, not 17.

I think when Nicolle said she didn't want Brand getting cross with her, she was referring to an awkward incident on Morning Joe, and she was also somewhat awkward during the Nancy Snyderman discussion due to the MS/NBC affiliation.

What happened to the Abby Lee talk/segment that was announced in the opening?

I'm with Nicolle and Ro, totally being judgey about Carrie and her baby, yelled at the teevee when Carrie started drowning her, but Ro?  There is a nanny and her sister.

I think I'm being really fussy today.

How is it that the entire staff of The View just allowed Whoopi to rant about this instead of correcting her...... If you knew... and I knew... and most people on this chat knew.... why didn't the people getting paid to share information know??...... I can kinda understand her mistaking 7 people arrested with 17 people..... but not knowing that they screen people before getting on an airplane is just irresponsible

• Love 3

Too bad they didn't think to announce SPOILER ALERT when discussing "Homeland."  I'm sure many fans haven't seen it yet.  Carrie's sister is a doctor with a busy practice.  Yes, Rosie,  there IS a nanny--she had to get home to take care of her own children. Carrie's sister explained she had to cancel one (two?) patients in order to return home and take care of the baby because CARRIE didn't show up.    I know the bathing scene was dramatic and some details might have been missed.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 3

I have to say Russel Brand has a lovely soul... just by what he says you can tell that he genuinely cares ..... and he has an uncanny way of making someone feel uncomfortable just by looking at them and talking. He pointed out Rosie P dimples and she melted..... he told Nichole that he would like to snog her even with her political views.... and he said it while talking about love.... it was brilliant.

I think Nichole had a little crush

• Love 13

Whoopi gets it wrong on two big stories, sigh.  They are screening people in West Africa before they board flights and it's seven football players that have been arrested, not 17.

I was shocked! that not one of those ladies knew that people were being screened in West Africa.   Whoopi is such a bully, maybe they have been told not to interrupt or correct her.  Meanwhile, the whole time Rosie O. is speaking, Whoopi is constantly inserting her uh huhs and rights.  

• Love 3

Too bad they didn't think to announce SPOILER ALERT when discussing "Homeland." I'm sure many fans haven't seen it yet.

I was surprised by this! Remember last season when Barbara started to talk about the series finale of Breaking Bad, and all the other cohosts (including Whoopi) jumped down her throat telling her not to spoil it for people who hadn't seen it yet?

I'm way behind in watching Homeland -- I didn't even know Carrie had a baby. I don't expect people to stay quiet for years to accommodate people like me, but a quick "spoiler alert!" would be nice.

• Love 1

Yes, there were all kinds of factual f-ups in that hot topics segment. Yes RO, there was a nanny in Homeland. She was shown or mentioned in several scenes. Whoopi, had you been paying attention you would know that they have been screening outgoing passengers in the affected areas in West Africa, and last week it was announced that they were going to begin screenings of incoming passengers at certain key airports here in the US. Her comment towards the end that they weren't screening at LAX makes me think that she must have at least heard about the screenings here but apparently didn't fully comprehend what she heard. Call me crazy, but maybe they shouldn't discuss things on the air when apparently none of them have bothered to read the news that came out almost a week ago on the subject. Sigh. At least they didn't say anything genuinely stupid as would have been the case with certain prior hosts. They were just woefully ill-informed on current events or simply weren't paying attention, and apparently nobody thought it might be a good idea to clue them in while there was still time to correct the errors.

• Love 2

I have recently started wearing hearing aids. I like them and I don't have to turn the TV up. The problem is, you all were talking about Whoopi and her uh-huh, uh-huh habit and I never heard it...until the hearing aids. Holy cow!!! It is so distracting, not to mention disrespectful to those who are speaking and listening. It is level 10 annoying.

• Love 6

I was surprised by this! Remember last season when Barbara started to talk about the series finale of Breaking Bad, and all the other cohosts (including Whoopi) jumped down her throat telling her not to spoil it for people who hadn't seen it yet?

I'm way behind in watching Homeland -- I didn't even know Carrie had a baby. I don't expect people to stay quiet for years to accommodate people like me, but a quick "spoiler alert!" would be nice.

I don't disagree. A spoiler alert would have been appropriate, but they were discussing an episode that aired over a week ago, not last night's episode.

• Love 2

I absolutely love Russell Brand. He's one of those folks who people really love or really do not love. I am so thankful for the new View panel members. Russell is a genius (hey, it takes one to recognize one :)  ) and what he had to say about the state of things today comes like a shotgun/machine gun rapidity but so much of what he says makes so much sense.

I've seen him decimate interviewers on some of the news channels. There wasn't one schmuck on that panel and no one acted like they could get the best of him... because I've not ever seen anyone actually do that. The five of them had lots to say and great conversation.

What a difference! I'm starting to enjoy this show once again. Last year Sherri would have been pushing her boobs into his side and rubbing his leg and Bitzy would have shrieked and Barbara would have stopped the conversation to explain to us that he is from Great Britain.

• Love 13

Last year Sherri would have been pushing her boobs into his side

Actually...Russell was one of the few male guests that gave Sherri a taste of her own medicine. Either because he had seen the show, or because she had pulled crap like that when he was on the show before, Russell once made a point of being overly flirtatious with Sherri. She did not like it AT ALL. She tried to start some crap about it a few weeks later when Jennifer Garner appeared on the show (she had just co-starred in "Arthur" with Russell.)  Jennifer stood up for Russell, saying he was a lovely, kind individual, and that shut Sherri up quick.

I lurve Russell. If you like him, be sure to check out his books. Funny, literate, and thoughtful. People who misjudge him based on his sometimes-kooky appearance do so at their peril. (Check out Mika Brzezinski doing so on Morning Joe last year. Should be on Youtube.)

• Love 9

Yes, there were all kinds of factual f-ups in that hot topics segment. Yes RO, there was a nanny in Homeland. She was shown or mentioned in several scenes. Whoopi, had you been paying attention you would know that they have been screening outgoing passengers in the affected areas in West Africa, and last week it was announced that they were going to begin screenings of incoming passengers at certain key airports here in the US. Her comment towards the end that they weren't screening at LAX makes me think that she must have at least heard about the screenings here but apparently didn't fully comprehend what she heard. Call me crazy, but maybe they shouldn't discuss things on the air when apparently none of them have bothered to read the news that came out almost a week ago on the subject. Sigh. At least they didn't say anything genuinely stupid as would have been the case with certain prior hosts. They were just woefully ill-informed on current events or simply weren't paying attention, and apparently nobody thought it might be a good idea to clue them in while there was still time to correct the errors.

Reading your comment made me remember something that I thought odd at the time then discarded it cause I thought I misheard.....

Didn't Whoopi say something about testing black folks no matter where they are flying from just to be safe?? That seemed wrong to me, but then I thought maybe I misheard..... my recording is gone now so I cant go back and check.... anyone else know what I'm talking about??

Today. 4:39 pm

I absolutely love Russell Brand. He's one of those folks who people really love or really do not love. I am so thankful for the new View panel members. Russell is a genius (hey, it takes one to recognize one :)  ) and what he had to say about the state of things today comes like a shotgun/machine gun rapidity but so much of what he says makes so much sense.

I've seen him decimate interviewers on some of the news channels. There wasn't one schmuck on that panel and no one acted like they could get the best of him... because I've not ever seen anyone actually do that. The five of them had lots to say and great conversation.

What a difference! I'm starting to enjoy this show once again. Last year Sherri would have been pushing her boobs into his side and rubbing his leg and Bitzy would have shrieked and Barbara would have stopped the conversation to explain to us that he is from Great Britain.

I also am in love with Russell and have been for some time now. I am proud as a little old lady to say it. He is pure goodness and light and is genius. I have seen him in concert and he just wings it ...I believe he performed an impromptu marriage at the venue where I saw him.  He went out into the audience and damn the cords and microphone and lighting.  I have read his moving tributes to Amy Whinehouse ( who I knew nothing about except what was reported on television where she was only made fun of ) and Robin Williams which highlights his soul. The only thing that bothered me is why did the camera go to the audience when he approached the stage? Was he exposed or was sweaty Geddie calling in favors from a camera man because he is friends with Rosie?  I thought Whoopi did not know how to react with Brand today asking her written sponsor question.  He is the wise old sage that she has been passing herself off for a decade. She is a fraud. I don't care to see his movies or care about his dress and hair just happy that he managed to get sober and live.

• Love 8

I saw the Mika interview with him when it happened. Russell has bullshit radar and if he detects it, he pounces. I've never seen him lose in those kinds of conversations. I also noticed that Whoopi was pretty silent during the interview but that was OK because it gave Rosie P and Nicholle a chance to chat him up. Nicholle is no dummy either and I'm sure she knew beforehand how he throttled Mika. I get the feeling that Nicholle is at heart a humble woman with a lot of brainpower and it is just taking her time to fit in the groove. But what a WONDERFUL difference between her as the conservative voice and talking points, no follow up nuthin' Benghazi Bitzy.

I get the impression on seeing Russell on various shows that speaking about Katy Perry is off limits because no one ever broaches that subject. But, if Barbara had been there... "I know we are not supposed to speak of your brief marriage to Katy Perry, but........." I love how the show doesn't stop dead anymore for the Queen at the End of the Table to pontificate. With Sherri gone as well, it just seals the deal for a better show.

After that segment was over, I just felt good. I really enjoyed it, they didn't do the scattershot, going nowhere, unintelligent conversation. It was worth watching. I'd love to see them shorten the hot topics segment and give guests more time. The length of the Russell Brand interview was just right and didn't seem rushed. Now that they are getting MUCH BETTER guests, it would be nice.

Edited by maryis1
  • Love 10

Reading your comment made me remember something that I thought odd at the time then discarded it cause I thought I misheard.....

Didn't Whoopi say something about testing black folks no matter where they are flying from just to be safe?? That seemed wrong to me, but then I thought maybe I misheard..... my recording is gone now so I cant go back and check.... anyone else know what I'm talking about??

She said Africans and then expanded that to wanting everybody screened everywhere. She must have seen the report that they were planning screenings initially at only five specific International airports (Kennedy, Washington Dulles, O’Hare, Hartsfield-Jackson and Newark), and she didn't like that LAX, for example, wasn't on the list. About 90% of the people arriving from the three outbreak countries come through those five airports, but I guess she's concerned about the 10% who fly directly into other airports. Then RO conflated "screening" with "banning" and confused the discussion even more. It was a mess. Edited by TribbleTrouble
  • Love 2

How much are they going to spend on screening those 90% at the main airports let alone adding LAX? The screening at the other end is much more effective. As of a week or so ago they had stopped 70+ people from boarding the plane and all of them had malaria, not ebola. The guy who died in Dallas wouldn't have been stopped by the screening at either end of the flight because he had no symptoms. It was the hospital that needed to do its job, not the screeners but the media, including The View with all its misinformation, has whipped the nation into a frenzy of fear and panic. IMO they're all being very irresponsible. There are plenty of other viruses and diseases in the US causing more deaths than ebola.

• Love 6

Are the proposed screenings to be only flights from African countries?  Because Duncan flew in from Brussels, he wouldn't have been screened (upon entry into a US airport if only flights originating in Africa are being targeted).  I'm curious about how his family managed to avoid contracting the disease.

I also enjoyed Russell's segment.  I'd no idea he was so articulate about politics and economics.  Good grief, can you imagine Sherri or Elisabeth trying to have an intelligent conversation with him?  (Yeah, I know he was on the old show and I remember how uncomfortable Sherri was.)  I'd like to see more of that and less reality stars.  (Speaking of which, the line up this week is good.  I was afraid last week they were falling into the old habit (booking problem?) of only having reality and/or ABC stars.)

edited to clarify what I meant by no screening.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

I also enjoyed Russell's segment.  I'd no idea he was so articulate about politics and economics.  Good grief, can you imagine Sherri or Elisabeth trying to have an intelligent conversation with him?

It's ironic some people don't take Russell seriously, assuming he must not be intelligent when some people do take Elisabeth seriously, assuming she is intelligent.  I've always found Russell Brand to be very knowledgeable on most subjects.  And I've always found Elisabeth to be very ignorant on most subjects.

• Love 12

Are the proposed screenings to be only flights from African countries?  Because Duncan flew in from Brussels, he wouldn't have been screened.  I'm curious about how his family managed to avoid contracting the disease.

Duncan originated in Liberia, and was screened.

• Love 1

I have to say, I find Brand VERY manic with his comedy and delivery so I normally tune him out.  But after this interview, I am impressed by him.  I'm not on board with him yet, but I certainly get the appeal.

• Love 1

It's ironic some people don't take Russell seriously, assuming he must not be intelligent when some people do take Elisabeth seriously, assuming she is intelligent.  I've always found Russell Brand to be very knowledgeable on most subjects.  And I've always found Elisabeth to be very ignorant on most subjects.

And Russell has a heart while Bitsy could be quite heartless on a number of subjects.

• Love 4

Ugh, I can't believe a producer hasn't noticed Whoopi's "uh huh" thing and put a stop to it. It is SOOOOO distracting!! Today during the math discussion, Whoopi held the floor for quite a while during her tirade, then "uh huh"ed and interrupted Rosie P while she spoke, then was out of control while RO talked with her "Uh huh, yeah, uh huh, okay..." which basically sent the message, "Okay, spit it out and quit talking so I can talk again."

And then Whoopi gave ANOTHER long speech to close the segment before doing a horrendous transition to throw to RO to introduce the Frozen doll video. RO even said, "Okay, but this has nothing to do with math" to acknowledge the nonsensical segue.

I'm enjoying this season of the View very much in general, but Whoopi is driving me insane with her floor hogging and "uh huh"ing.

Edited by canter
  • Love 10
"Okay, spit it out and quit talking so I can talk again."

Sorry, posters and moderators, but Canter's comment really deserves repeating!!

• Love 4

Whoopi infuriated me today with her reckless, inane rant rationalizing the idea that some people are just not math people. The sheer willful ignorance and stupidity of what she was saying combined with the forceful nature in which she said it and her refusal to even listen to Rosie Perez's rebuttal was just galling. Does she seriously think that the two professors she was yelling into the camera at had not taken learning disabilities and other confounding issues into account when they made their statements? Does she not realize that, not so long ago, people were using the selfsame argument to posit that intelligence and aptitude for difficult subject matter was inborn and delineated on the basis of race? Even today, you have yahoos arguing that blacks have innately lower IQs than Asians and whites. 

Here is a good article describing the argument against the "innateness" of math ability. As usual, it's not at all the straw man that Whoopi was rabidly trying to depose. This hits close to home for me because that was the article and these were the ideas that convinced me to take a Pre-Calculus and Calculus course after 20 years of believing I was simply incompetent with numbers. I did much better in those classes once I learned to slow down, look at the math as a language I needed to decode, and made sure to never leave any gaps in my knowledge before moving on to the next unit. This woman needs to STFU if she's not going to be do the minimum of research into what she's actually talking about. 

Edited by Diablo
  • Love 10
(Yeah, I know he was on the old show and I remember how uncomfortable Sherri was.)

I remember that, Haleth...and she was uncomfortable even though he was doing so much less of what she did to every male guest she found attractive.

• Love 2

I truly believe that anyone can learn math.... or any other subject for that matter.... what makes a difference is wanting to learn..... if you are not interested in the subject then you will have a harder time with it. If someone is struggling with a subject, patience and time is all that is needed to overcome the problem.

That is one thing I like about Common Core.... It teaches how things work not just that they work, which makes for better learning

• Love 2

Highly recommend Brand's Booky Wook -- a 10/10 read.  Booky Wook 2 also enjoyable though not as much as the first.

Was a huge fan of the man's up until he said some really shitty thing about Katy Perry after they split.  Humiliating things that didn't need to be said publicly.  This is not because I am a Katy Perry fan; this is because I am a woman who felt it was a really shitty thing to do.  That has since tainted my admiration for him but I still appreciate listening to his insightful thoughts & opinions on anything & everything.  He is just so damn interesting and has a lot of important things to say.

Ugh, I can't believe a producer hasn't noticed Whoopi's "uh huh" thing and put a stop to it. It is SOOOOO distracting!!

Yes!  And condescending. People who do this are also not listening to what the other person is saying either.  They are just waiting for the person to shut up so that they can start talking again because what they have to say is more important.  This & her laughing her way through the topic intros (in an attempt to cover up all of her  flubs, IMO) are really the only 2 big annoyances I have for the show this year, other than that, I am loving it!

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 2

I truly believe that anyone can learn math.... or any other subject for that matter.... what makes a difference is wanting to learn..... if you are not interested in the subject then you will have a harder time with it. If someone is struggling with a subject, patience and time is all that is needed to overcome the problem.

That is one thing I like about Common Core.... It teaches how things work not just that they work, which makes for better learning

I agree completely. And it's not like Math is its own discrete type of thinking. The same cognitive capacities that allow people to form a logical thesis and argument for an English essay are those that are engaged by Math. It's just the actual materials are more abstract and symbolic. I think Common Core shows students some of the similarities in both types of material. 

Edited by Diablo
  • Love 1

And it's not like Math is its own discrete type of thinking. The same cognitive capacities that allow people to form a logical thesis and argument for an English essay are those that are engaged by Math. It's just the actual materials are more abstract and symbolic.

I disagree. I can write a super-duper logical English essay which would get an automatic A+ and I have mensa level iq, but I sure as hell have never been engaged by Math and I flunked high school algebra. It never ever came easy to me although pretty much everything else did.

Maybe I have a learning disability like Whoopi! (Ouch that hurt to compare myself to Whoopi.)

• Love 4

I disagree. I can write a super-duper logical English essay which would get an automatic A+ and I have mensa level iq, but I sure as hell have never been engaged by Math and I flunked high school algebra. It never ever came easy to me although pretty much everything else did.

Maybe I have a learning disability like Whoopi! (Ouch that hurt to compare myself to Whoopi.)

I would say that not being engaged by something is different from not having the mental potential to do so. We all have subjects we prefer over others, and in the ones we dislike, it often becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy where, because we find it boring, we spend less time thinking about it or set up self-sabotaging mental blocks that prevent us from making the right connections, etc. The human mind is a beautiful instrument. If you look into the theory of cognition and theory of language, a lot of the same mental maneuvers you make when forming a logical argument are basically the same as mathematicians use. A great place to start looking would be relational frame theory, which talks about the elements of human thought.

Rosie P. made a good point: The way Math has been taught is a big issue here, I think. A lot of people discover that Math at the college level is completely different and much more engaging than at the high school level, which is basically very dry plug-and-chug and presented mostly out-of-context. I think if you had a teacher who was able to present Algebra to you in an interesting way and you were given sufficient time to engage with the material, you'd find yourself just as capable as anyone else. I think as we gradually whittle away at the mythology of a strict "STEM vs. Humanities brain" division (which is a fairly recent development; science and mathematics were originally branches of philosophy), we'll find more and more interesting and profound ways to teach this material. 

Edited by Diablo
  • Love 4

I've always considered myself math illiterate although I have 2 degrees and have been fairly successful in my career. I even changed majors several times in college to avoid math classes. I have always accepted it as something I don't understand and I am fine with that. I would never have pursued a career in that field anyway. It's of no interest to me. I was surprised Nichole wasn't part of the Megan McCain interview.

• Love 4

Just watched most of today's show and loved Nicole's comment about Russel B mastering"the art of the lean in interview." When someone leans in and makes full eye contact it can be a little disconcerting to some people. Not sure if he does it intentionally, knowing it might put people off a bit, or if he does it to fully focus on the person he is interacting with, but her succinct comment was spot on!

• Love 7

Whoopi is so annoying and uninformed . Sometimes she's just plain illogical and dumb !

When taking about Nancy Snyderman, she asked if anyone ever heard of orders food in, rather than going out to a drive thru, when under quarantine. So, someone coming to your door is ok if you are under quarantine?

Rosie Perez can be annoying too. She's obsessed with the racial issue to a point of being stupid . She had to bring up the racial issue even when taking about the female cast for Ghostbusters. Too bad she didn't talks the time to find out that Maya Rudolph is reportedly in the cast!

• Love 2

I also disagree that just practice is all that's needed to be good at math. By the sane margin, one could say that practice is all that's needed to play the piano with brilliance or just "get" how to paint without some inate talent. We all can't acheive everything with just practice.

• Love 2