Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

Okay: imagine 10 of the "eyeball" emojis here...

I just saw a *Nordstrom's ad*!!!!

The store that doesn't put up Christmas decorations until Black Friday morning, and doesn't open on BF until 10am.

New ownership???? Does anyone know?

Seriously -- what the fuck??

• Love 2

voiceover, I was watching something on Lifetime, don't judge sometimes there really isn't anything on, I was confused because we don't have Nordstrom's in this area, but then I remembered I was watching Lifetime. Another Perry Como song, I think, I'm not familiar with that one, but it sounds like him singing.

On 10/4/2018 at 3:40 PM, JacquelineAppleton said:

I got a short wave radio for one Xmas when i was a kid. Try explaining to modern children how exciting Short Wave was in the days before internet streaming :)

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a simple, small, reliable transistor radio (which my dad called a wireless until his dying day) in the States.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, voiceover said:

Okay: imagine 10 of the "eyeball" emojis here...

I just saw a *Nordstrom's ad*!!!!

The store that doesn't put up Christmas decorations until Black Friday morning, and doesn't open on BF until 10am.

New ownership???? Does anyone know?

Seriously -- what the fuck??

I imagine they feel the need to advertise because of ever-increasing e-commerce.  I imagine their brick and mortar sales are down.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a simple, small, reliable transistor radio (which my dad called a wireless until his dying day) in the States.

Times like that is when I miss Radio Shack.  They would have had one.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Brookside said:

Is HAM radio still a thing?

I heard an ad today which I am attempting to keep out of my mind because I was so traumatized, in which one of those girls with a screechy voice was "'singing" about "Krees-moss".

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Brookside said:

By transistor radio I meant a small, battery-operated AM/FM radio.

They don't use the word "transistor" any more; it's "pocket" or "portable". They still pop up occasionally in closeout or low-end clothing stores, but if you can't wait, you can go to the web site of somebody that sells similar items, like a kmart.com or walmart.com.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

They don't use the word "transistor" any more; it's "pocket" or "portable". They still pop up occasionally in closeout or low-end clothing stores, but if you can't wait, you can go to the web site of somebody that sells similar items, like a kmart.com or walmart.com.

Sorry, it's what they're called in the UK, and where I found a decent one on my last trip "home".  (From there originally, which explains my spelling and punctuation too!)

2 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

No, I know, I was just wondering if HAM is still a thing.

Ah, I misunderstood.  Do truck (lorry!) drivers still use them?

Back on topic, I can't watch the Starbucks pumpkin ads because I find pumpkin spice nasty and the ads leave a bad taste in my mouth!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Brookside said:

Ah, I misunderstood.  Do truck (lorry!) drivers still use them?

Truck drivers use CB radios, not the same as HAM radios, which yes, HAM is still a thing. Both require a license since they involve 2 way communication.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Truck drivers use CB radios, not the same as HAM radios, which yes, HAM is still a thing. Both require a license since they involve 2 way communication.

I don't know about HAM, but you do not need a license to use CB radio.

17 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Huh, I had a CB radio 30 years ago, and I remember having to get a license to use it.

The law changed in the early '80s; no licenses needed since then (all applications for a license were automatically approved, so there was no point and the process was done away with).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

Sorry, it's what they're called in the UK, and where I found a decent one on my last trip "home".  (From there originally, which explains my spelling and punctuation too!)

I should have been clearer; you referred to "the States", so I was responding in that context.

20 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I should have been clearer; you referred to "the States", so I was responding in that context.

That's okay, I didn't realize they weren't called transistors here.  That's what I called them when I bought one at Kroger (returned it) and one at Fry's (returned it).  We should probably end this fascinating but very off-topic conversation before we tie each other in more knots, or get into trouble!

Another annoying car commercial. For GMC. Wife buys herself and her husband an Apple watch type thing. They were buy one get one.. Oh, but hubby can do one better. They go outside and there's a pair of $65,000.00 Denalis out in the driveway. She takes the one he wanted for himself. Ugh "Merry Christmas! I put us $140,000.00 in debt without telling you!"  "Oh how sweet!!" yeah.. Not. Ugh. 

• Love 12
On 11/7/2018 at 8:20 AM, Brattinella said:

The Hershey Kisses bells?  I love that one!

I love that one, too. So simple but effective.

On 11/7/2018 at 9:51 AM, mmecorday said:

And also this:

I remember listening to my parents' copy of that when I was growing up. When my grandmother died, her copy of it (on vinyl, of course) passed to me. 

• Love 1

I'm glad you're all happy, and I like that commercial, too, but if I see it before Thanksgiving - especially with how early Thanksgiving is this year - I'm going to throw things at my TV.  It's bad enough Christmas takes over an entire month; it doesn't need half of the preceding month, too.

• Love 3

Been seeing the Mercedes commercial with Santa and the puppy who needs a pit stop - I love that one.  The puppy is so cute.

Also, the Happy Honda Days commercials with toys from yesteryear.  I've seen the 6 Million Dollar Man one, and the Care Bears one.

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 12:49 PM, mmecorday said:

The Starbucks holiday commercial is lovely this year. I don't go to Starbucks because we don't have one in my little town of Deathlehem but I'd be willing to drive 30 miles to get a Peppermint Mocha.

The commercials are fine, but I wouldn't drive 5 minutes out of my way for Starbucks.

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

I've never heard "pocket" or "portable" radio, only "transistor".  But then I'm old.  (I do live in the States.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, QuinnInND said:

Another annoying car commercial. For GMC. Wife buys herself and her husband an Apple watch type thing. They were buy one get one.. Oh, but hubby can do one better. They go outside and there's a pair of $65,000.00 Denalis out in the driveway. She takes the one he wanted for himself. Ugh "Merry Christmas! I put us $140,000.00 in debt without telling you!"  "Oh how sweet!!" yeah.. Not. Ugh. 

I do like that she insists on having the big pickup truck rather than the suv, though.  But otherwise, yeah, UGH.

• Love 1
On 11/12/2018 at 9:38 PM, QuinnInND said:

Ugh "Merry Christmas! I put us $140,000.00 in debt without telling you!"  "Oh how sweet!!" yeah.. Not. Ugh.

From what we see of their home, I doubt cost is a problem, but there's a list of things you do not surprise somebody with unless you first find out exactly what they want, and vehicles are on that list (not far below wedding rings). Sorry dude, but her preferring "yours" was a chance you took.

• Love 2
On 11/12/2018 at 9:38 PM, QuinnInND said:

Looking at the size of the house they have, I doubt he put them in debt - probably just cashed in some investment he was playing with for a little extra cash.

• Love 2
On 11/6/2018 at 10:38 AM, LoneHaranguer said:

But this ad is for Mercedes, which a kid back then would have considered a boring car for really old people. It's only relatively recently that the company has been trying to expand their customer base.

Lincoln is doing it, too. There's a commercial that just launched featuring a young (think mid-late 20s) woman going home for the holis and whose dog is thrilled to see her. I think it's for the Lincoln MKX SUV.

With Christmas ads with young children, you have to wonder which number take is the finished advert, given how difficult it would be filming an ad with a child young enough to make the parents in the audience go "awww!"..."

19 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

there's a list of things you do not surprise somebody with unless you first find out exactly what they want,

My nephew raved about a particular Jeep for almost a year, so his wife knew exactly what to "surprise" him with. They're lucky enough that they  have enough money to cover it. Also, my sister-in-law raised both her sons with the notion that no matter what gift you get your woman, you ALWAYS buy her a piece of jewelry, too. Seems a bit greedy in my book, but, hey, I'm the poor black sheep of the family; what do I know?

• Love 3

This year's Christmas John Lewis commercial featuring Elton John. It's sweet, but not really about the holidays. It seems more like an alternate trailer for his biopic that's supposed to come out next year.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Also, my sister-in-law raised both her sons with the notion that no matter what gift you get your woman, you ALWAYS buy her a piece of jewelry, too. Seems a bit greedy in my book, but, hey, I'm the poor black sheep of the family; what do I know?

Here's hoping they put some real effort into knowing their significant others' tastes. Outside of earrings, I'm not terribly fond of jewelry, and I'm very finicky about the earrings I do buy.

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, proserpina65 said:

I've never heard "pocket" or "portable" radio, only "transistor". 

When I was very young I really wanted a "transistor." An adult neighbor said he'd give me one. I was all excited.  A few days later he gave me an actual transistor, not the radio. Damned adults! :)

We did also call them "pocket radios" and "portable radios."

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:42 PM, Moose135 said:

Looking at the size of the house they have, I doubt he put them in debt - probably just cashed in some investment he was playing with for a little extra cash.

They're probably already massively in debt from the house.

• Love 4
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:15 AM, Brookside said:

I bought a Sangean DT-200X FM-Stereo/AM Audio Digital Tuning Radio from Amazon for listening while walking and it worked great for me and it fits in a shirt or jacket pocket.

• Love 1
On 11/13/2018 at 8:01 PM, Bastet said:

I'm glad you're all happy, and I like that commercial, too, but if I see it before Thanksgiving - especially with how early Thanksgiving is this year - I'm going to throw things at my TV.  It's bad enough Christmas takes over an entire month; it doesn't need half of the preceding month, too.

I saw it after a nap and thought I'd accidentally fallen asleep for a month.

• Love 2
On 11/13/2018 at 10:01 PM, Bastet said:

Don’t ever leave the United States then. Other countries don’t have that thanksgiving holiday as a marker. As soon as Halloween is over, it’s the Christmas season. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Don’t ever leave the United States then. Other countries don’t have that thanksgiving holiday as a marker. As soon as Halloween is over, it’s the Christmas season. 

So in the numerous countries without Halloween, is it Christmas season year-round?

Come to think of it, I have never been out of the country in November or December.  So I indeed have not experienced how early this stuff starts elsewhere, but I know it's too damn early here.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Do many other countries celebrate Halloween? I know it started as a Celtic tradition but is it widespread?

11 minutes ago, Bastet said:

So in the numerous countries without Halloween, is it Christmas season year-round?

Come to think of it, I have never been out of the country in November or December.  So I indeed have not experienced how early this stuff starts elsewhere, but I know it's too damn early here.

10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Do many other countries celebrate Halloween? I know it started as a Celtic tradition but is it widespread?

Well, I don't know how it is everywhere. But that's what I remember when I was in the UK for awhile a few years back. Solid Christmas everything as soon as Halloween was over. I was taken aback about how early they start it there, but they have no Thanksgiving, so... that's just how it is. They also had no idea what Black Friday was either, I kind of envy them that they're spared that horrid sales tradition.

• Love 10
On 11/8/2018 at 10:59 PM, friendperidot said:

voiceover, I was watching something on Lifetime, don't judge sometimes there really isn't anything on, I was confused because we don't have Nordstrom's in this area, but then I remembered I was watching Lifetime. Another Perry Como song, I think, I'm not familiar with that one, but it sounds like him singing.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:00 AM, chessiegal said:

Yes, it's Perry Como.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:46 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I love Perry Como.

Actually, it's Dean Martin. I've listened to the song quite a few years ago.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 4

I'd like more Australian commercials to reflect the reality of an Australian summer in December... you know, 40 degree C summer scorchers? not snow and frost and Santa in his winter suit...

• Love 1

This Duracell ad is a funny to me, unlike the depressing one last year.

Maybe it's because the one in my town closed last year (along with many others), but this may be the first year I don't see any Christmas ads from Kmart. I didn't see any Halloween ads from them, either.

• Love 1