Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

Awww! The bear almost made me cry. That's a lovely ad. But the cat made me laugh. ;-)

That cat ad is the "holiday ad" equivalent of some college kid attempting a 10-page paper an hour before it's due. The little tag at the end says "Merry Christmas", but it really ought to say "F U, America".

But yeah, it's official, Ballymena wins Christmas.

• Love 1

I don't understand how you can equate people going out to buy Christmas gifts for OTHER PEOPLE to buying a GMC for YOURSELF. They aren't the same thing!

YES! Thank you! I about stroke out whenever I see one of those commercials. Buying yourself a car is not the same thing as going nuts at a Black Friday sale to buy other people gifts. You can't even compare the two. And those GMC owners are so freaking smug in those commercials. 

• Love 8
He doesn’t even try any of what’s in front of him, instead immediately jumping to, “I’ll just stick to the ham.”  I hate tofu, so I feel him on giving that a pass, but there seem to be plenty of vegetables to choose from.  Yeah, he’ll feel like he’s eating a bunch of side dishes with no main course, but he can eat.  Does he normally sit there and just eat ham?

This last line made me laugh. It also reminded me of an episode of 'Everybody loves Raymond' where Marie is getting brunch ready for the family (maybe for Easter?).  Frank:  'Are we having ham?'  Marie: 'Yes.'  Frank:  'Excellent.  I shall go and put on my ham pants.'

I'm just glad I didn't see this commercial this Thanksgiving.  I hate it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-V634jNRKo

• Love 2

Stevie Wonder, you are one of my favorite musical artists and an undeniable genius. But, I hate to tell you, I think it's time to let the braids go. I know they are a trademark, but they are really struggling. 

• Love 4

Stevie Wonder, you are one of my favorite musical artists and an undeniable genius. But, I hate to tell you, I think it's time to let the braids go. I know they are a trademark, but they are really struggling.

No kidding. And he needs to get rid of that woman in that Apple commercial, too.
  • Love 3

The first time I saw it being aired was last night as well.  Any good?  I DVR'ed it because the Charlie Brown Christmas was on as well and I had that is priority.

like the Planter's peanut commercial where the nutcracker shows up at the Christmas party.

Enh I like it too but it's getting kinda old IMO.  That is the same commercial from last year and the year before that I think.

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 1

Marshmallow World is back and wreaking havoc except this time instead of Target, it's Google.

To be (almost) fair, this one is not yet nearly as overplayed as last year's Marshmallow World ad was. However, clearly I'm still traumatized because I heard the song and immediately spooked: IT'S BACK. NOOOOOO. And thought of y'all.

• Love 4

This commercial cracks me up for some reason, even though I saw it 27289292 times yesterday.

I always think that the dog is a Samoyed and most certainly does not need a sweater.  I also wonder if that piece of fabric has a velcro closure because no way could they get it over the dog's head.  Good thing Samys are sweethearts!

The Brits do some amazing commercials.

I guess I should say the UK and Ireland since Ireland isn't British.

Has Mog's commercial been put up yet?  If not, 

This is the commercial I planned to comment on when I stopped by, the 2015 Oreo commercial.  It is sweet without being cloying, It makes me think "Aw, they are all together" at the end.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSv_crB6rsI

• Love 3

Yes I saw that one! Very touching.

Does anyone have a link to the WWI ad about the Christmas truce?

On the one hand, it's touching. On the other hand, if someone in my family lied about having died, I would not even be able to express the level of betrayal I would feel. The emotional ramifications of thinking my dad had died, and explaining it to my kids to prepare them, are huge and should not be manipulated like that.

I also wonder who was in on the ruse. I mean, who notified the kids that their dad had died? What was the alleged cause of death? Are we supposed to assume that the Lazarus-dude's kids think they are coming to plan a funeral, or did his co-conspirator use that as the reason the kids were coming to the house? What's going to happen when he really does die and this same group of people are having to make arrangements ("No, boss, I swear that he really did die this time!")?

Edited by St. Claire
  • Love 4

Oh man, you made me cry with Mog's commercial.

You must remember Mog from the books. :0)  I just discovered them, probably like a lot of people who just saw the commercial.

• Love 3

Anyone who gives me a car for Christmas had better paid in full for it, and be paying the insurance and the yearly plates on it forever. Otherwise, take it back.

I've never understood the car Christmas present thing at all.  Don't people wait until they need a car to get it, whenever in the year that happens?  Don't people heavily research safety and needs and prices and extras when deciding what car to get? Don't people spend time working out the financing and payment structures?  And would you really want to take on a new monthly payment during the month you will most likely be spending more than usual?

I like the Audi commercial with a new Lexus in the driveway with a red bow, and the woman looks at the Audi driving by and sighs -- her SO looks dismayed, as well he should.

I have never researched any car purchase. Do people really do that?

I heard a story about a man who bought a new Corvette (well over $100,000). A couple of weeks later, the dealership had an orange Corvette, and the guy liked it better, so he traded. I'll bet that was a costly trade! Some people buy on emotion. And pay cash.

• Love 1

I do...I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted - had planned on a Dodge Journey, and spent most of a year reading stuff on line, looking at options and packages, pricing, took two or three test drives.  I even put together a spreadsheet of various items to see what trim level/option packages I wanted.  Was all set to buy and I drove a Durango, to "get it out of my system".  After about a mile I decided I needed one, so I spent another month going over options and packages (another spreadsheet) before buying a Durango.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 4

I do...I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted - had planned on a Dodge Journey, and spent most of a year reading stuff on line, looking at options and packages, pricing, took two or three test drives.  I even put together a spreadsheet of various items...

I totally thought you were going to say "...and then I crashed it into a tree," like those Liberty Mutual dopes.  I've clearly been watching too much tv!

• Love 8

I totally thought you were going to say "...and then I crashed it into a tree," like those Liberty Mutual dopes.  I've clearly been watching too much tv!

I thought his spreadsheet was going to include torque ratios.

We clearly need to get a life.

• Love 9

No, but I did hit a deer one night with it...fortunately, USAA didn't hold that against me come renewal time!

• Love 4

I've done research, and then had to buy what I could afford regardless of what my research said about it.  My best friend, on the other hand, has always based her car purchases on her extensive research.

You must remember Mog from the books. :0)  I just discovered them, probably like a lot of people who just saw the commercial.

I'd never heard of Mog before I watched the commercial, but something about the way the whole community came together made my cold, dead heart feel all squishy again.

• Love 3