Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

I second the bewilderment over Julia Louis-Dreyfus appearing in commercials for Old Navy. Elaine was my favorite character on Seinfeld and Veep is probably my favorite show on tv right now, but damn I hate those commercials. The one where she spent all night putting post-its on the wall is so irritating. Why does she do them? She is a multiple Emmy award winning actress and obviously does not need the exposure. I would think that to do them she would want them to be funny and well made. Which they are not.

• Love 1

I second the bewilderment over Julia Louis-Dreyfus appearing in commercials for Old Navy. Why does she do them? She is a multiple Emmy award winning actress and obviously does not need the exposure. I would think that to do them she would want them to be funny and well made. Which they are not.

I'm $ure $he ha$ her rea$on$ for doing Chri$tma$ commercial$.
  • Love 2

I happen to like the Julia Louis-Dreyfus ad for Old Navy. Its actually a nice message. I think her persona, and the fact if you do happen to know she is an heiress to a fortune or a famous actress, plays into the ad and is why it works so well. Its not really clear if we are supposed to think of her as the actress we all know or someone else, but it works either way. Just ignoring who she is, its a "cool" aunt trying to impress a regular family with ponies and all her "boyfriends" when really the mom wins out with nice practical things from Old Navy. For kids it works just on that level even if they don't know who "she" is, a famous actress. Its someone trying to be supercool and extravagant kind of put in her place. For "older" viewers (parents) who do realize who she is, its hey, its Julia Louise-Dreyfuss, why is someone so famous doing an Old Navy commercial? Well in this case the fame works against her, the kids prefer mom. Again you don't have to be famous or buy fancy things, just some nice stuff at Old Navy. You don't have to be Julia Louis Dreyfuss to came out on top at Christmas, just shop at Old Navy.

If that's the message they wanted to send (aside from the primary message of "buy Old Navy crap") they went about it the wrong way. That "Mom says you buy extravagant gifts because you don't have a boyfriend" line tells me Mom is a horrible, judgy person who thinks a life without a man is pathetic.  Add in the Poehler ad about how everyone is spending Thanksgiving day shopping at their stores, and they suck.

The eat-a-snack commercial is funny, I must admit.  As long as they acknowledge that "eat a snack because you're hungry" is ok!

I've seen this ad throughout the holiday season...the Nationwide one where the burglars steal the holiday items. Is it also an ad for Energizer batteries because those holiday decorations stay lit as they're tossed into the van and the van drives off.

Well this was a new one I hadn't seen before.  Paraphrasing, but only a little.

Its a new year... Time for a fresh start...You know your marriage is over... You'll have a compassionate team of lawyers... Your husband has just been waiting for you to make the call first.

Celebrate 2015 with a divorce.

(edited)

Christmas has come and gone, so I don't why they're still showing the Aleve ad with the Santa impersonator with the bad back.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 1

There were still a lot of Christmas theme ads running over the weekend.  I'm guessing the sponsors bought time through the first weekend after NYD because the holidays are unofficially over starting today.  No more Santas or jingle bells as of today, only weight loss and tax commercials.

Edited by Haleth

Actually, the Twelve Days of Christmas are over tomorrow - on the 6th...aka "Epiphany" or "Three Kings Day" - allegedly, it took the Wise Men 12 days to get to Bethlehem by camel, which is why many Latino cultures only give their presents on January 6th.  I understand that some religions used to call it "Little Christmas."

With our society becoming more and more Hispanic, I can understand Xmas Gift ads going on until today or tomorrow.

• Love 1

Actually in terms of holiday they are touting Valentine's Day still.  Not just merely shifting diamond ring ads from being Christmas and then New Year's oriented but actually employing hearts and stuff  Plus there is the Fifty Shades of Grime campaign that most of us will be tired of by, well the end of the day if you have seen any of the ads (I think there are at least two already as of last night).

the funny thing is I have seen a Macy's ad and a Kohl's ad do after holiday sales ads but in a way that almost seem to be in denial that Christmas is just recently passed.  In the Kohl's ad there are actually tiny bells ringing in the background.  I wonder how many of us shall live for the ad that about this time tells it is never too early to take advantage of today's clearances for that special day just 340 days away.

• Love 2

How did she not know what the @ symbol meant?  It's not like it was something new at the time.  She's a journalist, had she never looked at a keyboard?

And even weirder - when they show the email address on screen, it's *not* an @ sign. It really is a lowercase 'a' with a complete circle around it, which does exist in Unicode: 24d0, ⓐ but how on earth did anyone back then find that glyph?

Edited by Jamoche

They pulled the brilliant Go-Daddy spot from the Superbowl! Damn!

Brilliant?  Never a word that I would use to describe Go Daddy advertising.

The puppy mill ad is a real WTF for me.  I get that it was supposed to be a psych! but it was just stupid.  Cute puppy gets bounced out of a pickup truck because some fool is driving fast over a dirt road with a box of loose puppies.  Said cute puppy then travels miles over a railroad track etc in bad weather to get back home.  Then runs to its owner only to be told that she's glad he's home because she sold him online.  (Sold a puppy she didn't have in her possession?)  Cue to sad face puppy being shipped out like he's a stuffed toy.   Go Daddy - the website for unscrupulous sellers.

• Love 8

Re selling puppies online: I work part-time for a vet and last week a woman came in with a puppy she just picked up 2 hours ago from a Craigslist seller.  Outside of some flaky skin, the pup's in perfect health and the vet even wrote on the chart what a sweet dog he is...so there are, sometimes, good outcomes.

Of course there are reputable breeders.  And there are those that aren't.  The callousness in the Go Daddy ad (how the dog was lost, how she sold it even though she didn't physically have it, how she treated it like a stuffed toy) though doesn't give an overly reputable vibe.  And to me, if I were a small business owner, I wouldn't identify with that woman and think oh Go Daddy is the site for me.

• Love 8

Of course there are reputable breeders.  And there are those that aren't.  The callousness in the Go Daddy ad (how the dog was lost, how she sold it even though she didn't physically have it, how she treated it like a stuffed toy) though doesn't give an overly reputable vibe.  And to me, if I were a small business owner, I wouldn't identify with that woman and think oh Go Daddy is the site for me.

And I just can't get over how HAPPY the poor thing was to see her!  It makes her seem cruel.  Not someone I want to emulate.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 6

Damn it, now I want a Snickers bar,

They'd better hope a lot of people have that reaction, because I can only imagine how much it cost to produce that commercial, never mind buy the air time.

• Love 1

Has anyone seen the anti domestic violence ad that the NFL is paying for?  It features a 911 call where the victim pretends to be ordering a pizza but is really speaking to the police.  I remember the actual incident when it was reported.  I think Grey did a great job with the ad. I'm glad the NFL is stepping up a little.  But it reminds of how the NFL is all Breast Cancer Awareness in October, yet for all the uniforms sold, all the merchandise etc, it's estimated that only 5-11.25% of proceeds goes to the ACS.  Not a lot.  Feels like another PR move by the NFL.

• Love 2

I don't like it for exactly one reason: they think airing an ad is equivalent to actually doing something about a very large problem in their organization. During their next scandal when someone else beats up his wife/girlfriend and TMZ gets a video of it, the response will be "but we aired that ad that says this is bad!"

• Love 3

Yeah, I think all the No More ads have ranged from good to great, including those featuring NFL players (and this one, for which the NFL apparently ponied up the money?).  But - and I say this as a lifelong professional football fan - I won't be appeased by a few PSAs; when the culture of downplaying such acts within the league truly changes, I'll applaud.  Right now, it's nothing but damage control after a crime captured on video brought home the fact the NFL's punishment for failing a drug test is more severe than that for beating the crap out of a partner.

Taken on its own merits, however, I think that's a great spot, and one that is good to air during the Super Bowl.  Well done, regardless of motivation.

• Love 3

Per your feedback in the "Note From the Mods" topic, we've renamed this thread "Holiday and Seasonal Commercials" to include Super Bowl ad discussion. (And I see a bunch of you are already discussing in here - perfect!)

We've also created a "live chat" topic in Sports that encompasses the entire Super Bowl experience, that will be open from 6pm EST today until 1am EST early tomorrow morning.

• Love 1