Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Blind Auditions (1)

kj4ever
  • Start Topic

Is anyone else as "eh" about this season starting as me?  I was always so excited for a new season to begin and I don't even know if I'll watch this one the same night it airs.

Here's hoping the new coaches breath some life into the show, as it was one of my favorites for so long.

• Love 3

I'm really starting to lose some interest in it and have been since after the first Usher / Shakira season.  Many of the artists that get placed on the teams seem very "same ol' - same ol'" to me. 

Also, while there was a time where I wanted Adam and Blake to stay forever and ever I am now to the point where I wouldn't mind if The Voice snagged new coaches every season. 

Finally, I'm tired of the forever changing formats and the journey from the blinds to the live shows seem to drag on forever with the battle rounds > knock out round > second knock out round, etc.  Stop the multi-round madness!  Let us connect with the artists on a level that surpasses their sob stories, PLEASE!

With all that said -- I love Gwen Stefani.  She is the only reason I am tuning in this season.

Edited by MissScarlett
  • Love 3

I'm really starting to lose some interest in it and have been since after the first Usher / Shakira season.  Many of the artists that get placed on the teams seem very "same ol' - same ol'" to me. 

Also, while there was a time where I wanted Adam and Blake to stay forever and ever I am now to the point where I wouldn't mind if The Voice snagged new coaches every season. 

Finally, I'm tired of the forever changing formats and the journey from the blinds to the live shows seem to drag on forever with the battle rounds > knock out round > second knock out round, etc.  Stop the multi-round madness!  Let us connect with the artists on a level that surpasses their sob stories, PLEASE!

With all that said -- I love Gwen Stefani.  She is the only reason I am tuning in this season.

The Adam Blake stuff is way tired for me.  I agree when I first started watching I loved them on the show but now they just induce big ass eye rolls from me.

• Love 2

Ah, I'm still looking forward to the show.  I like the byplay between the hosts (though Blake making Adam's cell phone number public was going too far).  I don't have any strong opinion about Gwen Stefani one way or the other, so I'll be interested in seeing what she's like.  I'm surprised that they didn't find another Hispanic female for that role, to cover the "Latin" music genre.

The first blind audition is up on The Voice website.  To me, his voice sounds a lot like Josh Kaufman; except perhaps with even less charisma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX84k_emy-o&list=UUpdK1NLHxEUGXc1gq2NxkTw

Edited to add that more sneak peaks are up and I may already have an early favorite.  This guy's voice sounds like a cross between a young Elton John and Sam Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyETCZuR6lQ

Edited by viajero

I liked both auditions (first much more)--thanks for posting them. (Also nice? Being able to watch an embedded video right here!)

I thought it'd be back too soon, but I'm looking forward to it, just like always.

I've been looking forward to the season - I always do - but I'm 42 minutes in and the 4th singer is just starting. It's been all about the coaches so far tonight and I'm finding their shenanigans quite irritating. 

In addition, I wish the coaches would stay seated. It becomes meaningless when nearly every contestant gets a standing O.

Edited by buffylew
  • Love 2

Pharrell and Gwen both bring a different energy to the show. It definitely feels different with them in the chairs. Gwen is enthusiastic, but I'm not overly impressed with her. I miss Christina's special brand of crazy.

Looking back at tonight, Pharrell showed a lot of quiet control. The contestants seemed to be following his advice a lot. I can't say I blame them. The man clearly knows what he's talking about. What makes me even more excited is that his skill set should be a great fit for the live rounds. I'm liking what he brings to the group.

Blake is still as charming as ever. Love him.

Yes, this show is all about the judges. As long as the judges are keeping me entertained, I'm totally fine with that.

• Love 11

I liked tonight's show for the most part. There were no outstanding talent but it was interesting. I thought Pharrell seemed incredibly sincere and I don't see how he lost a couple of contestants to Adam. Adam seemed way, way over the top. I think Pharrell is going to be able to put together a great team though. I'd like to see him or Gwen win this season as I am over the Adam and Blake show. Blake looked engaged which is nice as that doesn't always happen with him. I thought Gwen was ok. I thought she was a bit "look at me" but as long as she doesn't start picking fights with the other coaches, that won't bother me.

I miss Shakira and Usher though. Those two with Adam and Blake will always be my favorite coaching panel. But, I have to give The Voice credit for putting together another coaching panel with great chemistry. I am definitely not missing Christina or Cee-Lo.

• Love 4

When Adam said he'd been on the show for 3 years, I swear I got confused for a second. Gosh, this show's only been on for 3 years. It feels like it's been on alot longer.

I was looking forward to how Gwen and Pharrell would do. I liked Gwen very much. There were times when I got a Christina "all about me" vibe from her with her jumping up on the stage and whatnot, but overall I liked her enthusiasm. I really liked Pharrell's vibe. He had a quiet confidence and didn't feel the need to go over the top with the theatrics like Adam always does and he came off more genuine that way. Really his credentials speak for itself though.

Edited by kelnic86
  • Love 3

When Adam said he'd been on the show for 3 years, I swear I got confused for a second. Gosh, this show's only been on for 3 years. It feels like it's been on alot longer.

I was thinking the same thing, that it felt longer than three. Then I thought, that's right. three years times 2 seasons a year makes sense that this is the 7th season but only it's three years!!!

I find this show more and more exhausting.  Between the over-enthusiastic praise from the coaches to the tales of woe from the contestants, this wore me out.   I'll be more invested when they get through all of the early rounds.

• Love 3

Loved the new judges.  I have to say the judges entertain me and it's why I can get through the early rounds..  No matter who they throw out there the chemistry is supreme.  I do miss my Usher but I think rotating judges is good.

Have to admit TSA worker - there was something in his voice that touched me.  WIth him it will be all about song selection and if they pull out the same old dreary I believe I can fly type songs he will be gone early.  I felt everyone tonight got someone good. No one is running away with this thing.  But it is only day one. 

I thought Gwen was ok. I thought she was a bit "look at me" but as long as she doesn't start picking fights with the other coaches, that won't bother me.

I thought it was a little awkward when she jumped onstage to impress that one girl (Clara) and proceeded to show off and compliment herself.  I could tell she thought it was a hard sell, but I think that's when Clara decided not to go with her.

Agree with all the praise for Pharrell.  He just exudes a quiet confidence and doesn't have to oversell.  I think he may replace Adam this season as  the choosy one whose approval means  a lot.  And maybe that's why I got an air of desperation from Adam.  I don't remember him standing on his seat before.  I also always remember him being rather picky, but it seemed like he was turning around for most of the people tonight.

It was  kind of fun watching how fast this group could press their buzzers like it was a race at times, usually started by Adam.  I noticed from her expressions that Gwen hated being the last one to push.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

Pharell's probably my favorite judge ever. He has that cool factor that Ceelo failed to achieve in the four seasons that he was with the voice. He also doles out pretty good advice. I also dig the Pharell gwen friendship, it should give that silly bromance a run for it's money t. This seemed to be the first season where you have four judges who can compete for contestants so the teams should be a bit more even ( Ceelo and Shakira were fun, but they sucked at recruiting).

That being said if these are the singers that they showed us right off the bat, then this show is in trouble. There's only so far that the judges are going to carry this show. Especially once the live shows start. Hopefully we'll see better singers tonight.

• Love 1

Liked Pharrell and I look forward to seeing him coach. Love Blake--he still manages to be genuinely funny somehow, unlike Adam who is okay at times, then is Just. Too. Much. 

When he climbed on top of his chair--then Gwen got on hers--really...you both looked (1) stupid and (2) desperate for some schtick. I was insulted by that kind of thing. Really, it's not entertaining.

And I HATE the standing ovation--when did they start doing that? And please stop. Also, Gwen running up on stage to comfort the guy who was crying felt very fake.

I missed most of it (fortunately or unfortunately) but it seemed they really drag out the singing part. How about (1) shorter bios, (2) less idiocy from the judges and (3) more actual music?

I do love Blake though. He's still, to me, the glue that keeps it all together.

• Love 4

I just love Pharell. I knew I would, but this just solidified it. I love Gwen, too! Great addition to the show. I'm so tired of Adam and his ADD antics. I was dying when Blake made the comment about not getting on a chair because he'd been drinking.

I wasn't super impressed with any contestant. I did like the country guy who closed the show. The hipster kid who did a Dia version of Heartless kept my attention. I was overly annoyed by the kid from Long Beach with braces, Elijah Rene (I did not spell correctly). You could tell he was a performing school kid. Over affected in his staging. I do think he'll probably go far, but not my cup of tea. Oh! The girl who sang Problem was terrible! And I felt bad for the DR girl from NYC.

• Love 2

I was fine with the singers...nobody was gawdawful really. a couple of pretty good ones. the country guy was good - hate country though. I liked the Clara girl. Adam was annoying...he seems to be getting more so as time goes by. Blake was not over the top which was nice. Love Pharrel so far.

Pharrell is the real deal for this kind of show's purported purpose: artist development. I love his pitches (the first guy knew what was up) and how he was the only one who didn't turn around for that flat and shrieking Ariana Grande audition. I don't know how anyone could choose the recording artist now who is talking out of his/her ass, when they can go directly to the hitmaker the artists flock to. Although, if it's performance guidance they need, then yes the artist is a superior mentor for them.

Agree with both points (although I first lost interest after S2 when Jamal & Juliette lost). And as a ND and Gwen fan, I love seeing her back in the limelight. Look forward to seeing Gavin mentor with her.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 2

I'm not as familiar with Pharrell as most of you are, I'm sure, but he was thoughtful, insightful and kind and I was impressed. I hate that damn "Happy" song, but every time I hear it, it makes me happy, dang it, and it's on my mind for days.

Adam needs to take a break from the show.

Not as impressed as I expected to be with Gwen, but I love that she made t-shirts for her team. Hipster hat dude looked appalled to have to take one, though.

Blake can stay, cause I love him, which I realize may not be the popular opinion.

Hate, hate HATE the sadsack backstories, although some of them ARE really sad... not that impressed with the talent so far, so we'll see how the auditions shake out. No one to root for yet, but it's early still.

Oh, I almost forgot: I guess I'm insane. I just did not see why everyone was DYING over the last artist, country guy. He was good, no doubt there, but I disagreed with Blake that he was the best country audition the show has ever seen. I'm always wondering if these things sound so much better in person, with both this show AND AGT.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 2

Although I really loved Pharrell, that was just way too long.  Hate the sob stories, hate the families.  Thought the girl who did the Aria Grande song was terrible - terrible breath control, yelly, a little late on her entries, and she got picked?  Didn't get the massive love for the last guy either, thought he was ok, but didn't think he was amazing.  I remember when I thought that Adam was charming and charismatic.  Now I just think he's a phenomenal douchebag.  He ruins this for me.

• Love 2

I watched the first hour and then popped over to Sleepy Hollow for the second.

At the Blinds, I don't need to waste too much time getting to know these folks.  The majority of them are not going to make it to the teams.

I thought Gwen was ok. I thought she was a bit "look at me"

I like her in general and cut her some slack because AFAIK she hasn't done this kind of show before - she's used to being on stage and focusing the attention on to herself. 

Pharrell, which I keep wanting to pronounce "feral", comes across really well.  His comments were insightful and his demeanor nice and a bit like the zen master.  I have no idea how anyone would pick someone else if he was a choice.

I thought the group performance of Keep on Dancing went very well.  English/Irish/Norwegian bands manage to sing without much of their native accent coming through, why do I still hear Blake's twang?

I took a two (three?) "season" break from this show because I was overwhelmed with singing shows and I got a little sick of the Adam/Blake show.  I only decided to watch because of Gwen.  I've always really liked her and I think she's so talented on many levels.  I didn't really have an opinion of Pharell before this besides I absolutely hate that stupid hat he wears. 

Anyway, I think the break did a LOT for me to reconnect with this show.  I felt bad (most of the time) when the judges didn't turn around for someone and I really like seeing the family reactions when the chair turns for their loved one.  This is also the only place I enjoy reading tweets.  I'm not on Twitter and all the "hashtag" stuff drives me bananas (that's for you, Gwen) but I enjoy reading them on this show. 

I loved the opening song.  I admit it, I love Hella Good.  I like both No Doubt and Gwen Stefani solo stuff.  

I really, really loved the first contestant.  It takes me a long time to get people's names on reality shows, but I loved the tone of his voice and the style of the song.  A lot. 

I felt SO bad for the first country singer guy who didn't get anyone to turn around for him.  I felt the pain in his voice during his song (disclaimer: I HAAAAAAAATE country music) and I was really pulling for someone to turn around for him.  I loved the advice they gave him and encouraged him to keep going.  When it came to pink-haired girl, I was more than ok that no one turned around for her.

Didn't love the Winona Ryder clone (thanks for the above picture, I will never think of anything else when I see him now), but I really loved the place he worked!  A bar that you can bring your dog to!?!?  Why don't we have one of those here??

Ok, I didn't intend to comment on almost every singer, but just no on the mom-and-me matching shirt.  He's a talented young man, but he needs to cut the apron strings.

I can appreciate that the last singer was a good singer.  But, again, I hate country music so I really don't care. 

I really thought I could not dislike Adam Levine anymore than I did coming into tonight.  But WRONG.  He makes me crazy.  It's gotten to the point where I can't even stand to listen to him talk.  He's utterly FAKE and not even in the neighborhood of charming.  THAT is the sexiest man alive???

My favorite moment was when Gwen reminded a contestant that over the years Blake has said the same thing to everybody.  Fantastic!

• Love 3

Pharrell and Gwen both bring a different energy to the show. It definitely feels different with them in the chairs. Gwen is enthusiastic, but I'm not overly impressed with her. I miss Christina's special brand of crazy.

Looking back at tonight, Pharrell showed a lot of quiet control. The contestants seemed to be following his advice a lot. I can't say I blame them. The man clearly knows what he's talking about. What makes me even more excited is that his skill set should be a great fit for the live rounds. I'm liking what he brings to the group.

Blake is still as charming as ever. Love him.

Yes, this show is all about the judges. As long as the judges are keeping me entertained, I'm totally fine with that.

Completely agree with the bit about the live rounds.  Pharrell and Gwen are fantastic performers, so I'm excited to see what they come up with for their teams.

I was fine with the singers...nobody was gawdawful really. a couple of pretty good ones. the country guy was good - hate country though. I liked the Clara girl. Adam was annoying...he seems to be getting more so as time goes by. Blake was not over the top which was nice. Love Pharrel so far.

OMG.  That chick who sang "Celebrity Skin" was TERRIBLE.  Holy hell.  Other than that - they were all decent. 

• Love 2

Loved Pharrell- what a smart man. He even knew what to say to make rejected contestants feel better.

I think Gwen wanted to show the Rickie Lee Jones Girl that she needed help with her performance (which she desperately does ) but went about it all wrong by doing I'm Just A Girl. Adam will dump her fast.

In other news, Gwen's long history of basically having to hold her own in an all guy band since she was a teenager, prepared her well for this show. She seems very comfortable with the other judges -- and possibly more on the same level with them personality-wise than Christina or Shakira did.

Love Blake still.

The only thing more annoying than Adam acting like a nine year old boy is his taste in clothing. We have to look at that shirt for the next two weeks?

Performance wise - loved that they seem to have gotten a bunch of new songs!

Loved the Kacey Musgraves cover by the returning girl. Stunning.

Wynona Ryder hat guy (Ha!) was a yawn. Stunned he's done so well (relatively) on iTunes since the show.

Found it hilarious that someone thought covering a Hole song was a smart idea . And then doing a theatery version of it...

Edited by Cramps

The song is called Hella Good, not Keeps on Dancing. :)

You know, I HAD it as Hella Good, but someone else above me said "Keeps on Dancing" so I thought maybe I had the wrong song.  I should've stuck with my original instinct.  ;)

My favorite moment was when Gwen reminded a contestant that over the years Blake has said the same thing to everybody.  Fantastic!

This reminds me that one of my favorite moments was when Pharrell  zinged Adam by saying Adam only turned around first because he heard himself.  Hee.   The show needs someone who can shut Adam up like that.

I had on my closed captioning by chance when the show started, and it  credited the song as "Keeps on Dancing".   Not saying it was correct, just that I understand why there was  confusion.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

The only audition I cared for was Damien Lawson who sang "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" (looked it up online since I couldn't remember the name). He was very beautiful. Even though I hate sob stories and crying, at least his tears didn't seem faked (or he's a really good actor). Also, Allison Bray has potential; she has a nice tone, and I loved that she covered Kacey Musgraves.

The girl who did "Problem" was absolutely awful. I'm sure all three judges that turned around regretted it once they did. Sad part is even her name sounds like it's trying to imitate Ariana. Also, the other guy who ripped Kris Allen's rendition of "Heartless." Perception really is everything; it's obvious he used that and the guitar (which he didn't even play while he was singing) to create an "artist" vibe that doesn't exist.

Overall, I love Gwen outside of this show, but didn't care for her on the show that much; I kind of see her having trouble recruiting, since she only picked up the two worst last night, imo. Pharrell was better to me, partly because he supported Gwen so much. Adam is only good for me when the other judges are joking about him.

Edited by TheGreenKnight

Until the teams are chosen and whittled down, I don't even try to remember the singers' names.

Add me to the list of those who don't understand why the judges fussed so much over that last guy, the country singer.  He was okay, but sure didn't seem as outstanding as they made him out to be.

Some of the sob stories were so sobby they seemed darkly comedic.  I have no problem being fed some general background on a person, but this scramble to make every story a soap opera has gotten so grindingly tiresome.

Pharrell came across as genuine and savvy.  I could see him doing what Usher did last season - winning.

Gwen was okay.  I liked that she had the team shirts.  I don't have an opinion yet about how good of a coach she will be.

Wish we could have had both Usher and Pharrell.  That would be something.  Blake and Adam would really have to up their game.

I "sort of" enjoyed it.  Gwen and Pharrell were a nice change, although I see Gwen is bringing the Xtina patented "Girls v. Guys" schtick over in some of her pitches to the singers.  Still, as someone said above she's more "cool" than Christina or Shakira, and seems to hang with the guys easily- plus has that Pharrell connection, so their pro-mance (I guess?) can compete with the aging bro-mance of Adam and Blake.  Pharrell in particular was great; I'm not a fan or anything (that is to say, I'm not too familiar with much of his work) and he certainly has a track record of success as a songwriter, producer, and performer.  He probably is better than the other three judges at... well, nearly everything in the music industry.  And he is very articulate and sincere and mature when he speaks, clever without being bombastic, compared to Adam still spazzing about with his tired and overwrought "love meeee!" pitches.  As a couple of people mentioned above, it was actually surprising when some of the auditioners didn't pick Pharrell- but it wouldn't be "The Voice" if there weren't starry-eyed fools who opt for the person offering cheap, empty flattery over a person who is provably the most likely to make you sound incredible through hard work and self-criticism.  That attitude will serve them right as cannon-fodder in the coming rounds.

The "sort of" is because it feels like the sob story dial was cranked to freakin' 11 at this point.  I wasn't tracking too closely, but did literally anyone not have a sob story tonight, except maybe Meg and Allison?  I guess I'm a heartless monster, because I don't now and never have been interested in that sappy nonsense and ultimately find it kind of insulting.  Either they can sing and perform well, or they can't; we all got problems, and single parent homes, or losing a loved one or a job or getting injured, or perhaps worst "touring for years and not making it as a singer yet" of all things to cry about... well in my opinion it doesn't and shouldn't earn you some bonus pass in a nationally televised singing competition.

An early favorite of mine is Allison Bray; I vaguely remembered her, and from the clip package and snippet of her season 6 audition it's clear she was another belt-y country type.  Well, she's gotten leaps and bounds better; those months fronting a band with a diverse catalog (Guns 'n Roses, interesting!) has really helped her out.  I enjoyed her voice for having a little bit of weathered quality without being comically "raspy" or whatever it is judges like to gush about.  She showed restraint and had a sweet tone and was always on pitch, she sang with a feeling and a great sense of rhythm and connection to the music; I don't know the song but I'll have to look for the original as well.  Overall, very impressed; we'll see how this plays out, but I guess the obvious parallel is Jake Worthington, or possibly Amber Carrington (who I simply adored and felt should have made the finals in her season).

A couple of others intrigued me but I'm mostly I'm meh most because of the general "Been there, done that" of these voices.  Like, Elyjuh had a lovely voice, but the over-done gender surprise guy doesn't last when that schtick wears out.  Clara and Taylor got that "such a nice sound" compliments from the one-trick ponies who have one "sweet spot" song, and then get revealed as unable to compete or adapt.  Clara was pretty weak to me, so when she said she loved Pharrell but then picked Adam after a stupid love poem, I was content; that way, when some actually talented singer picks Adam, he'll have at least one throwaway performer to protect them during the interminable battles.  Country guy at the end bored me; he was okay, but did NOT see the fuss, although he's all square jawed and ruggedly handsome, so he'll do great for a while.  I mean, nice clean voice, but I felt nothing.

Two performances (besides Allison) stood out for me.  First, was Bianca; I hated this so much, I found it truly, physically painful.  I was grimacing the whole time, and digging my fingers into the couch.  She could not find a pitch to save her life, and was just warbly and grating and if I wasn't a little stoned, I'd have reached for the DVR remote faster so I could skip it.  And if I recall, she really turned on the water works to get a hug and kiss from Pharrell.

The second was Meg: because I didn't actually see it!  I don't know about anyone else, but on my station (Seattle) just after her introduction package, as she was walking through the doors to the stage, it suddenly cut to a few commercials, and didn't come back until just as Blake started speaking.  So I missed the whole thing- although from the comments here, she must have been the "Celebrity Skin" singer, and I apparently didn't miss much.  Still, it's annoying, because sometimes the no-chair singers do something interesting enough to watch anyway.  For example, there was a pianist/singer last year who didn't get picked, yet I thought that was a huge mistake; he was decent in his performance, and he also wowed Carson with some great improv composition beforehand- anyone else remember that guy?  For what I pay Comcast each money, I tell ya...

Edit: just after hitting post, I realized there might be another reason; is it possible there was some last-minute prohibition on playing that performance for rights reasons?  I noticed "The Voice" youtube channel doesn't have it either (although I don't think they have any of the non-picked singers, so maybe they don't put them up), so I can almost imagine a drugged out Courtney Love happening to see the east coast feed, calling her agent, and then us West Coasters have it blocked. :)  I found another source on YT and yeah- it's a terrible performance.  Ouch.

All in all, really liking the new judges, finding a certain sameness in the singers, and feel like I'll be in for this season, but with a very liberal amount of FF when I'm watching.  No sob stories, off-the-train-tracks battle duets, or pointless Adam hijinks for me this year!

Edited by hincandenza

Ditto on everyones comments about the sob stories. They spend 5 mins telling you about their terrible situation and then sing for 90 seconds...it's grating.

I wasn't sure if I would watch this season.....I lost interest last go around before they even got to live votes. But the new judges drew me back in.

I discovered No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom when I was in my teens, I still remember the first time I saw the "Spiderwebs" video, and I was in love. So Gwen can do no wrong in my eyes and I absolutely will tune in just for her. And did someone above say Gavin will be mentoring with her?!!! There's another band of my youth, when they got married my heart pretty much exploded. I'm not sure I'll be able to handle this season :)

I also love Pharrell, he's mind blowingly talented, like anything he touches is pretty much a hit. So it would be hard to pick anyone else if he turned a chair.

Hopefully Gwen or Pharell pull off a win this season. 

• Love 1

The only thing more annoying than Adam acting like a nine year old boy is his taste in clothing. We have to look at that shirt for the next two weeks?

Wait until he wears his grandpa sweater!

Loved Gwen and Pharrell.  Especially Adam dramatically writing his poem, and then Pharrell just rhymed his out.  

So glad that pink hair girl didn't make it.  The Ariana Grande wanna be is going to be cannon fodder.

It seemed like a lot of cannon fodder to me.  No one stood out as being exceptional.  Many were annoying, and I'm not going to make it through constant reminders of their great hardships to be overcome without getting really stabby.  

• Love 1

Someone should challenge Adam to do his sales pitch without saying "I" or "me" or "win". He'd probably burst into flames on the spot because it's way beyond his capacities.

This episode made me like Pharrell again, he had great comments for the contestants. I did lol when at one point he said something like, "I want to reiterate that I turned around because you deserved 4 chairs", which basically means 'you're objectively good but don't pick me, i don't really want you in my team!'. 

I liked Gwen too and I was kind of mesmerized by her shiny red lipstick.

My chair turns: Very Unfortunate Paintball Accident!Guy, Clara, Allison Bray, Damian.

Edited by glitterpants
  • Love 1

I thought all the ones who got through were fairly good (with the possible exception of the girl who did Problem), but I ended up not being all that enthusiastic about any of them.  Luke Wade was my favorite for the night, but I hope he doesn't turn into Josh Kaufman 2.0.  I guess I also kind of liked Allison and the TSA guy.   I certainly didn't see anything special about the country guy who closed out the show.

I "sort of" enjoyed it.  Gwen and Pharrell were a nice change, although I see Gwen is bringing the Xtina patented "Girls v. Guys" schtick over in some of her pitches to the singers.  Still, as someone said above she's more "cool" than Christina or Shakira, and seems to hang with the guys easily- plus has that Pharrell connection, so their pro-mance (I guess?) can compete with the aging bro-mance of Adam and Blake.  Pharrell in particular was great; I'm not a fan or anything (that is to say, I'm not too familiar with much of his work) and he certainly has a track record of success as a songwriter, producer, and performer.  He probably is better than the other three judges at... well, nearly everything in the music industry.  And he is very articulate and sincere and mature when he speaks, clever without being bombastic, compared to Adam still spazzing about with his tired and overwrought "love meeee!" pitches.  As a couple of people mentioned above, it was actually surprising when some of the auditioners didn't pick Pharrell- but it wouldn't be "The Voice" if there weren't starry-eyed fools who opt for the person offering cheap, empty flattery over a person who is provably the most likely to make you sound incredible through hard work and self-criticism.  That attitude will serve them right as cannon-fodder in the coming rounds.

The "sort of" is because it feels like the sob story dial was cranked to freakin' 11 at this point.  I wasn't tracking too closely, but did literally anyone not have a sob story tonight, except maybe Meg and Allison?  I guess I'm a heartless monster, because I don't now and never have been interested in that sappy nonsense and ultimately find it kind of insulting.  Either they can sing and perform well, or they can't; we all got problems, and single parent homes, or losing a loved one or a job or getting injured, or perhaps worst "touring for years and not making it as a singer yet" of all things to cry about... well in my opinion it doesn't and shouldn't earn you some bonus pass in a nationally televised singing competition.

An early favorite of mine is Allison Bray; I vaguely remembered her, and from the clip package and snippet of her season 6 audition it's clear she was another belt-y country type.  Well, she's gotten leaps and bounds better; those months fronting a band with a diverse catalog (Guns 'n Roses, interesting!) has really helped her out.  I enjoyed her voice for having a little bit of weathered quality without being comically "raspy" or whatever it is judges like to gush about.  She showed restraint and had a sweet tone and was always on pitch, she sang with a feeling and a great sense of rhythm and connection to the music; I don't know the song but I'll have to look for the original as well.  Overall, very impressed; we'll see how this plays out, but I guess the obvious parallel is Jake Worthington, or possibly Amber Carrington (who I simply adored and felt should have made the finals in her season).

A couple of others intrigued me but I'm mostly I'm meh most because of the general "Been there, done that" of these voices.  Like, Elyjuh had a lovely voice, but the over-done gender surprise guy doesn't last when that schtick wears out.  Clara and Taylor got that "such a nice sound" compliments from the one-trick ponies who have one "sweet spot" song, and then get revealed as unable to compete or adapt.  Clara was pretty weak to me, so when she said she loved Pharrell but then picked Adam after a stupid love poem, I was content; that way, when some actually talented singer picks Adam, he'll have at least one throwaway performer to protect them during the interminable battles.  Country guy at the end bored me; he was okay, but did NOT see the fuss, although he's all square jawed and ruggedly handsome, so he'll do great for a while.  I mean, nice clean voice, but I felt nothing.

Two performances (besides Allison) stood out for me.  First, was Bianca; I hated this so much, I found it truly, physically painful.  I was grimacing the whole time, and digging my fingers into the couch.  She could not find a pitch to save her life, and was just warbly and grating and if I wasn't a little stoned, I'd have reached for the DVR remote faster so I could skip it.  And if I recall, she really turned on the water works to get a hug and kiss from Pharrell.

The second was Meg: because I didn't actually see it!  I don't know about anyone else, but on my station (Seattle) just after her introduction package, as she was walking through the doors to the stage, it suddenly cut to a few commercials, and didn't come back until just as Blake started speaking.  So I missed the whole thing- although from the comments here, she must have been the "Celebrity Skin" singer, and I apparently didn't miss much.  Still, it's annoying, because sometimes the no-chair singers do something interesting enough to watch anyway.  For example, there was a pianist/singer last year who didn't get picked, yet I thought that was a huge mistake; he was decent in his performance, and he also wowed Carson with some great improv composition beforehand- anyone else remember that guy?  For what I pay Comcast each money, I tell ya...

Edit: just after hitting post, I realized there might be another reason; is it possible there was some last-minute prohibition on playing that performance for rights reasons?  I noticed "The Voice" youtube channel doesn't have it either (although I don't think they have any of the non-picked singers, so maybe they don't put them up), so I can almost imagine a drugged out Courtney Love happening to see the east coast feed, calling her agent, and then us West Coasters have it blocked. :)  I found another source on YT and yeah- it's a terrible performance.  Ouch.

All in all, really liking the new judges, finding a certain sameness in the singers, and feel like I'll be in for this season, but with a very liberal amount of FF when I'm watching.  No sob stories, off-the-train-tracks battle duets, or pointless Adam hijinks for me this year!

If the girl had pink hair and was wearing plaid then I guess that was Meg.   You didn't miss a thing.