Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E04: Caramel Week

• Start Topic

I really love this crew of bakers. This is my favorite cast in a long time, personality and skill wise.

Also, Prue and Paul just go ahead and admit you like peanuts. They always end up saying, "Oh I'm not a peanut fan, but that's lovely." Give it up and fly the peanut fan flag already.

I would've eliminated Sumayah this week. Her showstopper looked absolutely disgusting. But, confirming my suspicions, Paul finally outright said they would consider her future potential when making the decision. I think that's unfair, but I know lots of people have always thought this was how they do it.

• Like 11
11 minutes ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I really love this crew of bakers. This is my favorite cast in a long time, personality and skill wise.

Also, Prue and Paul just go ahead and admit you like peanuts. They always end up saying, "Oh I'm not a peanut fan, but that's lovely." Give it up and fly the peanut fan flag already.

I would've eliminated Sumayah this week. Her showstopper looked absolutely disgusting. But, confirming my suspicions, Paul finally outright said they would consider her future potential when making the decision. I think that's unfair, but I know lots of people have always thought this was how they do it.

But they have also gotten rid of people who have done well and had potential. I think her age played a big factor in it. 

• Like 1

It was definitely between the two of them, though, so maybe Paul and Prue felt they had to go with their gut about who would do better going forward. I do think, in general, the GBBO has MUCH less producer manipulation than U.S. shows. I wonder if eliminations have to be approved by the producers like on U.S. shows. 

Loved Prue's reaction to the cotton candy.   

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

The level of talent this season is amazing. Usually there are a couple of bakers who have a wicked shortbread or chocolate chip cookie, but are really not big on technique. Even Sumayah, whose mirror glaze was a disaster, did a very nice job on her Chihuly homage. Nobody seemed to freak out by the sugar work requirement. 

There were a couple funny moments with Noel playing off of Brit slang:

Mike saying is dessert was "Pollocks" and Christiaan (I think it was) saying that people call him "Wonka. At least that's what I think they call me."

• Like 3

Kudos to Nelly for staying so calm when Noel destroyed her bowl of Carmel and had to redo it. These hosts should be more careful. 
I don’t know if Georgie deserved star baker, the judges weren’t blown away by anyone this week. They maybe went by her winning the technical.

The right person went home, I’ll miss Mike. 

• Like 7

I loved the orange baking dishes they used for the tarts. 

I assume that Noel said something about destroying Nelly's caramel, but it didn't really matter so they skipped it. I would've left it in if he said it, though. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Dirge said:

I assume that Noel said something about destroying Nelly's caramel, but it didn't really matter so they skipped it

you mean in the judging section? Yeah I agree. I guess it didn't matter since she had enough time to make more. But it was very childish of him to be so clumsy. 

• Like 4
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

Even Sumayah, whose mirror glaze was a disaster, did a very nice job on her Chihuly homage. 

I live in Chihuly country so I was tickled to see this.

11 minutes ago, dleighg said:

you mean in the judging section? Yeah I agree. I guess it didn't matter since she had enough time to make more. But it was very childish of him to be so clumsy. 

I'm thinking he's going to be much more careful from now on.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I guess it didn't matter since she had enough time to make more.

Except I assume the caramel that was made with the pears in it was cooked longer and would have more flavor than her second batch  They said her tatin didn't have much flavor, and I think that could be why. 

• Like 3
On 10/16/2024 at 10:05 AM, Lois Sandborne said:

Prue doesn't like peanut butter, which doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't like the taste of peanuts.

I think the right person went home. I also like this group of bakers, but I think the challenges are also too easy. I thought that last year also. 
I'm rooting for Nelly. She seems like a cool gal.

• Like 1

I thought almost all the showstoppers looked amazing, especially Christiaan's wave cake and Andy's cotton candy tree. But *especially* Georgie's flower cake. They went on about how small it was, but it looked stunning to me. 

Sad to see Mike go. He is so nice and always laughing.

• Like 1
(edited)

The biscuits decorations look like Pollocks? (Or bollocks?)

They were calling me Wonka? (Or wanker?)

Prue giving Mike a hard time (sorry!) about his bulge.

Christiaan, kneeling in front of the oven. "Gonna come out now… I am gay!"

Rated PG for suggestive dialogue!

Edited by kirklandia
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

I think I actually agree with the decision to keep Sumayah and send Mike home. While both had a rough week. She was toward the top in the past weeks. It makes it interesting if they are factoring the whole competition. Especially when it is that close, that it could go either way.

As star baker, I'm glad they gave it to Georgie. As this on the other hand wasn't really close. They always name other people but she was at the top for all the challenges. And since everyone's showstopper was kind of meh, it made sense based on the other two challenges. Well except for Nelly's, I wanted to eat that off the screen, but she just saved herself with it.

9 hours ago, kirklandia said:

The biscuits decorations look like Pollocks? (Or bollocks?)

They were calling me Wonka? (Or wanker?)

Prue giving Mike a hard time (sorry!) about his bulge.

Christiaan, kneeling in front of the oven. "Gonna come out now… I am gay!"

Rated PG for suggestive dialogue!

That was Mike, I think. That said that. And now I get it lol. I honestly didn't at first.