Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E01: A House Divided Cannot Stand

65mickey
  • Start Topic

I didn't see this mentioned so sorry if I am repeating an already started topic. I read that it will begin with a shower for Mykelti's twins who were born in 11/2022. So we are seeing content for what happened almost 2 years ago. 

• Angry 1
  • Thanks 3

We don't have a dedicated mod, so I created an episode thread. Please don't post in this episode thread until the episode has concluded at 11:00pm EDST (10pm Central; 9pm Mountain, 8pm Pacific). Forum rules in the past have not allowed us to do the Live Chat in the episode thread, because not everyone enjoys slogging through the Live Chat. 

Episode description from TLC:

A House Divided Cannot Stand

Things get awkward as Kody, Robyn and Christine see each other for the first time in months at Mykelti's baby sprinkle. Meri tells her friend Brandi that she's done with Kody. Janelle reveals that she's looking at buying property in Montana.

NOTE: TLC's season numbering is all messed up. They label this as S12 E1, and they have the air date as 9/11/2024. The 19th season premieres tonight (September 15, 2024), and even TLC seems to know that season 18 has already happened. 

Sister Wives Season 19 Premiere.jpg

Edited by General Days
  • LOL 4

I love how rude they can be to Mary. Grow up!! I feel like these grown ups act like 5 year olds. I don’t know how he can be a polygamist, not put any effort into any of his wives but then cry foul when it fell apart!!

• Like 8

Bringing this over from the Live Chat thread.

6 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Wait...what?  "This season on Sister Wives". Then Christine says she met a guy named David. But we already saw them get married! WTF?

Yeah, Christine even talked about being single in the beginning of the episode. They went back two years. In real life, Christine's first anniversary is sometime next month. 

I think the production is just using up the footage, because they already filmed it, and that's that.

Edited by General Days
  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

TLC does that a lot with weddings.  They do a rush edit to get the wedding episode out as a special in hopes of big ratings.  Then we go back to the regular schedule.  Sometimes they do that with main character births, too.

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

I think Christine should have greeted Kody and Robin when they attended the baby shower (not gonna say sprinkle); wasn't it at her house?  I don't think that telegraphs being friendly.  I think it would have telegraphed she was in charge, and they were invited.  She could have kept it to, "Kids your father and Robin are here.  Please put the presents there and drinks are in the kitchen"  kind of a greeting.

I did note the kids were not rushing over for fun Dad time.  Ha.

Edited by albarino
  • Like 18
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, General Days said:

NOTE: TLC's season numbering is all messed up. They label this as S12 E1, and they have the air date as 9/11/2024. The 19th season premieres tonight (September 15, 2024), and even TLC seems to know that season 18 has already happened. 

I don't know if they do. This episode makes me think they have amnesia that last season ever aired at all.

2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

TLC does that a lot with weddings.  They do a rush edit to get the wedding episode out as a special in hopes of big ratings.  Then we go back to the regular schedule.  Sometimes they do that with main character births, too.

But they spent a few episodes last season introducing David, her talking about dating him, her engagement with him, about the house they bought together, etc. They didn't just show the wedding.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Yeah No said:

But they spent a few episodes last season introducing David, her talking about dating him, her engagement with him, about the house they bought together, etc. They didn't just show the wedding.

They kind of had to introduce him.  There are viewers who don't keep up with them other than by watching the show.  TLC did announce the pre-wedding and wedding episodes were some variety of specials.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

I think there are only ~5 minutes in this episode that weren't in the trailers and old episodes.

Next week Kody wonders what he did wrong. The ex-wives & kids could spend a whole season spelling out the ways.

Edited by Denize
  • Like 15
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
Just now, Absolom said:

They kind of had to introduce him.  There are viewers who don't keep up with them other than by watching the show.  TLC did announce the pre-wedding and wedding episodes were some variety of specials.

Well they already showed it and didn't gloss over it either so it's pretty weird to see them going back in time now like they never aired it. But it's not just with Christine - This episode completely rehashed Kody and Robin too. I remember him claiming in the tell all last season that he had reached out to his and Christine's kids and they rejected him because they didn't want to observe his "Covid rules". Then he blamed Christine for pitting them against him. He even mentioned the "dark place" his mind has gone. It was a complete rehash from start to finish. The only thing new here was the baby "sprinkle".

4 minutes ago, Denize said:

I think there is only ~5 minutes in this episode that wasn't in the trailers and old episodes.

Yes!

• Like 9

It hasn't even aired here yet. 😁  Someone got their numbers reversed.   5 minute recap and the rest new not 5 minutes new. 🤣 They take so long between seasons the editors think we've forgotten or they're just padding it out to get an extra episode.  It couldn't possibly be the Browns are so boring that there wasn't enough new material to make a season, could it?

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I just looked over the episode list from last season. First of all, the wedding episodes were listed with regular episode numbers and aired after the "tell all" last season. Anyone's DVR that was set to record the series in general would have recorded those wedding episodes.

Secondly, there were several things brought up in this episode as if they were new that were a major focus of several episodes from last season with air dates dating back to last October. 

Here are more:

Meri admitting that she and Cody are done and she's going to move to Parowan - Season 18, Episode 14

Christine admitting that she's dating someone - Season 18, Episode 12.

Then Christine introducing her new fiancé David in the tell-all Part 4 - Season 18, Episode 18

What gets me is that here we are in September of 2024 while all of this was aired in from October through December of 2023. I've heard of dragging things out but this show takes it to new levels! 

• Like 12
  • Applause 2
55 minutes ago, albarino said:

I think Christine should have greeted Kody and Robin when they attended the baby shower (not gonna say sprinkle); wasn't it at her house?

I disagree ONLY because the shower (also hate the sprinkle thing) was at Mykelti and Tony’s. 

• Like 6

Well, that was a big "nothing burger"!

Sadly @Absolom, I think @Denize was pretty close to the truth. That one clip of Kody and Sobbyn at the land and the baby sprinkle were all that was really new, unseen in past episodes or previews. So maybe at the most 10 minutes of real new stuff.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

They really should watch what they put in the previews.  I don't usually see the previews so that helps out a bit when show is actually on.  What I also hate is when they show a clip, go to commercial, and when the show returns that clip repeats.  

• Like 10

So correct me of I'm wrong BUT, Sobbyn opines, "The last time I saw Christine she said she didn't want a relationship with me or my kids." I believe she said she didn't want a relationship with Sobbyn, she didn't say anything about Sobbyn's spawn, did she? That aside, Christine should have said hi, you can be superficial and just say hi. Sobbyn and Kody also should have said hi too. They're all so immature. 

ETA: I LOVED the shot at the shower of Kotex bending forward, his Receding Hairline on full disay with those two curly things hanging down. It really sums up his ego doesn't it? Not to me tonight his admitted inability to take ANY responsibility for alienating THREE wives. Hey douchebag, the common denominator is YOU.

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 22

Actually Christine didn’t tell Robyn that she didn’t want a relationship with her or her kids. Or at least that’s not what was shown in episodes.  She specifically told her she needed some space for a while. It was a while big discussion here at the time. This was also not the last time Robyn saw her before the sprinkle.  We know Robyn saw her at least once more when the awful ‘Goodbye’ episode was filmed.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

That was when little matchmaker Ari stepped forward and told Christine that all she needed to do was to go on dates with Kody to fix things while Aurora and Briana stood by with arms crossed and a scowl on their faces.

• Like 14
7 hours ago, surfgirl said:

Christine should have said hi, you can be superficial and just say hi. Sobbyn and Kody also should have said hi too. They're all so immature.

Agree 100%.  That was very childish of all involved.

First time I've seen a baby shower with a gambling theme. 

• Like 12
  • LOL 5
3 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Actually Christine didn’t tell Robyn that she didn’t want a relationship with her or her kids. Or at least that’s not what was shown in episodes.  She specifically told her she needed some space for a while. It was a while big discussion here at the time. This was also not the last time Robyn saw her before the sprinkle.  We know Robyn saw her at least once more when the awful ‘Goodbye’ episode was filmed.  

Robyn and kootie are very alike in this aspect.   If people don’t behave how they want them to or play they roles those 2 assigned them , then they are the victims.  And hear things the way they want.  Christine wanted space , there not playing the happy underling sister wife role 

• Like 16

Is production giving away their opinions on everyone by having Meri, Janelle, and Christine all in cream/white, and then Robyn & Kody in black? Like in the old western movies you would know the good guys from the bad guys by their hat color. Just a thought. I would really love to know what the crew thinks. 

Edit: I'm referring to the intro. 

Edited by eskimo
  • Like 10
  • Applause 1

It really bothered me when Kody and Robyn were at Coyote Pass and he said “maybe I should sell it”.  That isn’t just his decision to make.  The other thing was him saying they should just walk away from the property, loosing all the money Kody and the wives have put into it.                        

I can’t blame Christine for ignoring Kody and Robyn at the shower.  Had she done that, it really wouldn’t have made much of a difference anyway.  Them being there made everyone more uncomfortable.  Maybe Mykelti could have had a small gathering for Kody and Robyn or heaven forbid go to Kody and Robyn’s house.

• Like 13
  • Applause 1

Well. Same old same old. Kody is just a slightly older sad little man who expects everyone around him to do all the work of life and relationships. He still has zero emotional self understanding. He comes off as a big toddler in his talking heads and he must be an absolutely miserable person to be around. No wonder Robyn looks so exhausted.

I will say that Meri seems more relaxed and what I imagine is a closer version of her authentic self. Christine is every bit a showboat as Kody is. Robyn is Robyn and it is so hard to wrap my head around how her head puts those thoughts together.

I do suspect that Robyn refuses to be filmed in any way past those set up, standin' there, conversations that are fully mapped out before filming.

I think the most interesting take away is confirmation of how the Coyote Pass parcels were financed. Kody Brown, the great sellsman, agreed to pay CASH for the two largest parcels and then use them as collateral for a private loan from the owner for the two smaller parcels with a time stipulation that all the property reverts back to the owner if the loan isn't paid off on a specific date. Using the time date of purchase in June 2018 it looks like it was a 5 year countdown. In that time they spent money for Christine's downpayment for her house and then Robyn's house took away Janelle, Meri and Robyn's vegas houses' equity as well as Robyn's house slowly filling with all those framed artworks and statues and huge geode amethyst dust collecting collectables as well as all the things people have discussed that fill every surface in her house. 

And Kody has the audacity to demand that Christine pay off the land when she sells her house in Flagstaff?

Once again this season picks up in the fall-ish of 2022 and most likely will wrap up around Christmas 2023...keeping everything still a year behind.

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, eskimo said:

Is production giving away their opinions on everyone by having Meri, Janelle, and Christine all in cream/white, and then Robyn & Kody in black? Like in the old western movies you would know the good guys from the bad guys by their hat color. Just a thought. I would really love to know what the crew thinks. 

Did not notice!  I will need to watch again. I was distracted by Robyn's really ugly ass shirt that had the shit brown color with a flower of some sort. She is not old. Has daughters.  Does she HAVE to dress like an 80 year old woman with no fashion sense?

Kody was all kinds of manic at that party. He and Robyn are the ones who have really separated themselves from everyone. I personally feel they should have been thankful just to be invited. He clearly doesn't call his kids so he doesn't show ANY interest in their lives. I am fine with Christine not greeting them. It wasn't her house and it wasn't her party. They are divorced.  As long as everything was civil, that is all they should ask for. I realize I might be a lone person with this opinion.  HA!

• Like 10
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Roslyn said:

In that time they spent money for Christine's downpayment for her house and then Robyn's house took away Janelle, Meri and Robyn's vegas houses' equity as well as Robyn's house slowly filling with all those framed artworks and statues and huge geode amethyst dust collecting collectables as well as all the things people have discussed that fill every surface in her house. 

And don't forget the $80,000 RV that Janelle bought intending to live in while parked on Coyote Pass. She had no idea how to get it to the property, how to set it up, get water and sewer service or even how to get her garbage to the end of the dirt road. She and Savanah made it about six months in the RV and then it was hauled off to be stored for the winter. I haven't seen or heard of her speak about that behemoth in quite awhile. I hope that she has managed to unload it. 

• Like 11

A lot of great observations so far.  Some things I noticed:

• All three rings now fall off.
  • Kody was really put out when he found out that Ysabel had moved to Utah from the producers.  I was surprised he exercised enough self-control not to say anything about Maddie.  This was likely filmed sometime in early 2023, so I'm surprised he wasn't still letting loose calling her names like he did the rest of the kids.
  • The hostility from all of them was palpable.  It was jarring after seeing the tell all and the talk backs that were filmed around July and maybe fall of 2023 where everyone seemed to be more moderate in their statements.  Christine was a real mean girl when she said Meri wasn't invited to the sprinkle.  If I were Meri I would have been fine with that.  If you want nothing to do with me, you don't need to hit me up for a gift for your latest grandchildren.
  • Loved Janelle saying that she's just done with Kody and doesn't even miss him.  That was awesome.  Christine still needed to mind her own business about Janelle's choices.  If Janelle wanted to make another go of it with Kody, that has nothing to do with Christine.  I think she's right to walk away, but it's her choice.
  • Wow, what went on between Kody and Maddie?  As I said above, he refused to say anything and the only thing we heard was from Janelle.  I appreciate that Maddie doesn't want her children going through what she did with Kody being around when it was convenient for him.  I also wonder if she and Ysabel talked and bonded over the fact that he didn't show up for Evie's surgery either.  I think that took place before the pandemic, so he didn't have that excuse.
  • I love the new Meri telling it like it is.  And just not giving a flip what anyone even the producers think.  Good for her.  She stuffed down her feelings for so long to try and please Kody while he treated her like dirt.  And Sobbyn whining yet again about how she misses Meri is her usual hypocrisy.  Meri made it clear that she would try to make plans with Robyn and get ghosted for her trouble.  I hope Meri spills some great stuff.  I also loved her with that sweet dog.  I have cats myself, but that dog cuddling up with Meri when he saw she was upset was so sweet.  She can't be all bad if dogs like her.  And her snark on Robyn's age was gold.
  • I do hope they pick up the pace.  They are a full two years behind and I don't want to watch the same endless conversations over and over again.  Get on with it already.
  • Finally, in the previews, did Kody just come from the disco to do his couch interview?  I haven't seen a guy dressed in a shirt like that since the 70s.
  • Like 13
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 6
20 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Well, that was a big "nothing burger"!

Sadly @Absolom, I think @Denize was pretty close to the truth. That one clip of Kody and Sobbyn at the land and the baby sprinkle were all that was really new, unseen in past episodes or previews. So maybe at the most 10 minutes of real new stuff.

Yes, I agree that watching that show was stupider than buying retreaded tires. I did still muster up a chuckle at Kody's hair styled with the slut strands on each side. I also wondered are the producers paying them for these clips that were filmed nearly 2 years ago? Or were the salaries they got in 2022 inclusive for all content?

Edited by Julyolo
  • Like 1
  • LOL 4
11 hours ago, suzeecat said:

First time I've seen a baby shower with a gambling theme. 

But in this family, every choice is a gamble.

6 minutes ago, Julyolo said:

I also wondered are the producers paying them for these clips that were filmed nearly 2 years ago? Or were the salaries they got in 2022 inclusive for all content?

Good question. Some clips have been repeated a dozen times over the years. Have they been paid a dozen times for them?

• Useful 4
  • LOL 4

==Wow, what went on between Kody and Maddie?  As I said above, he refused to say anything and the only thing we heard was from Janelle.  I appreciate that Maddie doesn't want her children going through what she did with Kody being around when it was convenient for him==

Maddie had a TH last season in which she discussed why she wasn’t talking to Kody and why he wasn’t around her kids. There were no specifics but she basically called him unstable. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 8
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Did not notice!  I will need to watch again. I was distracted by Robyn's really ugly ass shirt that had the shit brown color with a flower of some sort. She is not old. Has daughters.  Does she HAVE to dress like an 80 year old woman with no fashion sense?

I forgot to mention it is in the intro. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Does she HAVE to dress like an 80 year old woman with no fashion sense?

Hey, we 70s and 80s don't dress as badly as Robyn does.  She dresses like a person of any age with zero sense of what she looks like to the world at large.

1 hour ago, Denize said:

Good question. Some clips have been repeated a dozen times over the years. Have they been paid a dozen times for them?

No, they get paid per episode not appearance.

1 hour ago, Julyolo said:

I did still muster up a chuckle at Kody's hair styled with the slut strands on each side.

I love that name for the stringy bits.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Robyn seems to dress like some 80 year old women dressed in the 1980s (my grandmother's vintage, but my gma did not go for hoards of florals and preferred a few timeless & well-made clothes that fit in her 3'x3' closet.  I actually wear and love her midnight blue suit jacket with 3/4 sleeves from the 1940s.

Edited by Denize
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
23 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I don't know if they do. This episode makes me think they have amnesia that last season ever aired at all.

Wasn't there a special where they showed the wedding? I either saw it or dreamed it.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Maddie had a TH last season in which she discussed why she wasn’t talking to Kody and why he wasn’t around her kids. There were no specifics but she basically called him unstable. 

Maddie was on a podcast almost a year ago and she said that if people do not make an effort to be in her children's lives she isn't going to force them. She said her mother, Christine, and siblings make an effort. I cannot remember if she was answering a question directly about Kody or not. If it wasn't it was definitely implied. She did say that her kids do not know Kody or recognize him. She also, said if people do not treat her kids or husband well she has no problem cutting them out of her life. 

• Like 15
  • Useful 2

Meri was really  on fire in her interview.  She has tamped down all her emotions over the years,  or should I say, placed them behind a wall.  Now that she is free from Kody and his false promises (I blame Robyn for leading her on, as well), she is letting it fly! I've never been a fan of hers, but I love hearing the scoop.  Janelle is too diplomatic to share the tea, and Christine doesn't want to be painted as the bad guy. I think we are going to get some truth bombs from Meri this season.

• Like 18
8 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Wasn't there a special where they showed the wedding? I either saw it or dreamed it.

You did not dream it which is why this season is such a load of crap.  Airing a shower for the twins who are already walking and talking? Ridiculous.

Edited by Orcinus orca
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 7
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, Absolom said:

Hey, we 70s and 80s don't dress as badly as Robyn does.  She dresses like a person of any age with zero sense of what she looks like to the world at large.

No, they get paid per episode not appearance.

I love that name for the stringy bits.

First heard the term during the Winter Olympics. It's what a woman snowboarder said those strands of long hair are called. Off to Google the origin. Very appropriate for Kody's stringy locks. 

• Like 7
On 9/16/2024 at 2:11 PM, eskimo said:

Is production giving away their opinions on everyone by having Meri, Janelle, and Christine all in cream/white, and then Robyn & Kody in black? Like in the old western movies you would know the good guys from the bad guys by their hat color.

Whichever TLC intern put that intro together deserves a raise.  Here's Meri looking practically reborn in cream and white (with nary a LLR pattern to be seen), Janelle in pure white looking like a boss, Christine in her red lipstick era.....and here comes Robyn in some dark blue patterned blouse that came from the Secretaries 'R Us Catalog circa 1977, and Kody - arms crossed, smirky punchable-faced, proudly wearing black.  Take a bow, intern.

On 9/16/2024 at 5:45 PM, Natalie68 said:

I was distracted by Robyn's really ugly ass shirt that had the shit brown color with a flower of some sort. She is not old. Has daughters.  Does she HAVE to dress like an 80 year old woman with no fashion sense?

I can't get over her wardrobe.  It was truly one of her uglier outfit combos.  Has she never heard of Old Navy?  TJ Maxx?  Surely it's much harder to purchase those drab blouses and mismatching cardigans than it would be to put a denim shirt over a tank top or something.  But I do enjoy watching her wardrobe circle the drain just like her hopes and dreams.

Anyway, welcome back, everyone, to season 5 14 29 64? 19 of Sister Wives!  And a special Welcome Back to Robyn's cold sore!  It's been awhile!  So glad to see it's still part of the cast!

I have many questions about this episode but I guess Number One would be, if Kody and Christine haven't seen each other in a year, does that mean they aren't sharing custody of Truely?  Or does Christine just drop her off a block away from where Kody picks her up and makes her walk?  One would think that Kody might want to keep up a relationship with Truely if only to keep tabs on the FOMO events that he has been "excluded" from (excuse me while I choke on my coffee).  It's also great to see that Kody's delusion is intact and better than ever.

Looking forward to the snark. :)

Edited by laurakaye
  • Like 15
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 3
21 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

if Kody and Christine haven't seen each other in a year,

I believe Christine said she hadn’t seen Kody and Robyn in a year. I don’t think she meant Kody separately . Robyn even referred to not seeing her in a year, since Christine said she wanted nothing to do with her and her children, which Christine never said.

• Like 9

I read somewhere else ( forgot where) that MyKelti’s house had been the drop-off point for Truely once Christine no longer traveled to Flagstaff for TH interviews.  No idea if that is true or not.   I really can’t believe Kody would travel to Utah when he wouldn’t travel across town to see any of his other kids. 

• Like 12
13 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

I also wonder if she and Ysabel talked and bonded over the fact that he didn't show up for Evie's surgery either.  I think that took place before the pandemic, so he didn't have that excuse.

They were both in 2020. I believe Evie’s was in August, and Ysabel’s was in September.

• Like 1
  • Useful 4