Type keyword(s) to search

Discontinued Foods You Miss

GreekGeek
  • Start Topic

On 7/30/2020 at 11:35 PM, Giuseppe said:

Also, does anyone remember a product called Suddenly S'mores? They were pre-packaged, pre-made s'mores that you stuck in a microwave for a few seconds. The marshamallow would puff up, and the chocolate would melt slightly, and they were just amazing. I remember buying them all the time when I was in high school, but have no idea when they disappeared.

On 8/7/2020 at 7:42 PM, Mittengirl said:

I was thinking about the microwaveable s’mores the other day.  I was wondering if they had really existed or  if I just imagined them.

I realize the original posts I am quoting are over a year old but I was just talking with a friend about these. They were very much real, and delicious

https://dinosaurdracula.com/blog/nabisco-suddenly-smores/

Edited by theredhead77
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

@MSTREE in the other Discontinued Products thread over on "Everything Else" mentioned not being able to find the Pioneer Woman's sauces. I managed to order a jar of her Garden Vegetable Pasta Sauce on Amazon, but her other pasta sauces were on the "Add To List," which means they're unavailable. The Garden Vegetable was billed as "Only two left in stock."

The jar of sauce arrived yesterday, as promised, but a little of it had dribbled out of the jar. It had obviously been opened. Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and use it or just throw it out. Amazon says it isn't returnable.

11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

@MSTREE in the other Discontinued Products thread over on "Everything Else" mentioned not being able to find the Pioneer Woman's sauces. I managed to order a jar of her Garden Vegetable Pasta Sauce on Amazon, but her other pasta sauces were on the "Add To List," which means they're unavailable. The Garden Vegetable was billed as "Only two left in stock."

The jar of sauce arrived yesterday, as promised, but a little of it had dribbled out of the jar. It had obviously been opened. Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and use it or just throw it out. Amazon says it isn't returnable.

I would definitely not use it.  If it had been open even a little bit (for who knows how long) during its manufacture/storage/transport, that's definitely not something to take a chance with.

I would contact Amazon though.  Saying something "isn't returnable" doesn't mean they aren't responsible for getting it to you undamaged.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 10/1/2021 at 11:57 PM, Jaded said:

I haven't seen them. There's not much variety outside of donuts and their crumb cakes stuff where I am. I looked on their website and was surprised to see so much of their other stuff still on there. I thought they quit producing a lot of it. I put my zip code in their locator for a few items with no results within 20 miles from me,

I asked a delivery person at Kroger today and they said the bakery was having trouble keeping up, so they had to drop some items for the time being.

This is interesting to me, not because I eat pasta (I wish I could but I have to avoid any starch these days), but because I work at a food pantry three days a week and we have cases upon cases of the Pioneer Woman's Garden Vegetable Pasta Sauce to give away (along with a big box of spaghetti of course). So I am guessing its discontinued and the local supermarket donated what they had left to us to get it off the shelf...or what?

I saw a fair amount of some variety of Pioneer Woman pasta sauce at a local discount grocery store near me not to long ago, so you maybe be on to something about it being discontinued.  

Several months ago I bought a package of her frozen Mac & cheese at the same store.  It was labeled as “deluxe” or “fancy” or some such, but it sure didn’t live up to its name.  It was bland and boring and not worth the discounted price.  The box said four servings but my 93 y.o. mother (who doesn’t eat a lot) and I ate the whole thing for dinner without either of us feeling all that full.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:38 PM, isalicat said:

This is interesting to me, not because I eat pasta (I wish I could but I have to avoid any starch these days), but because I work at a food pantry three days a week and we have cases upon cases of the Pioneer Woman's Garden Vegetable Pasta Sauce to give away (along with a big box of spaghetti of course). So I am guessing its discontinued and the local supermarket donated what they had left to us to get it off the shelf...or what?

It could be discontinued, or it could also be product expiration dates beyond a certain point.  Grocery stores return or purge product that hits certain expiration dates.  

If it's not a high demand item, companies may also have elected to stop making it if they are facing shortages.  Like the current situation with Coke and Pepsi only making their more popular formulas since they have a shortage.

I just found this thread and so many of the items mentioned were such blasts from the past, and many of them so yummy. Did poor Mr A ever get his Bar None bars? The things that I really really liked and have disappeared are Rice a Roni stroganoff flavor... man it was good, and one batch with some burger in it would be good for two or three dinners in my poor days. Also, WALNETTOS! I can't find them anywhere. Vermont Country Store had them years ago, but not any more. Spearmint lifesavers. I love them, and they are off in outer space or whereever.

Non food item..Jean Nate Lemon Face and Body Splash. Very popular when I was in high school and I loved the scent.

Edited by susannah

Julienned Pickled Beets. I found a jar in my pantry but the sell by date was about 8 years ago (things get pushed to the back & are forgotten).  But now I can't find them in the supermarkets. I used to make a delicious salad with the beets, gorgonzola, Romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, etc.

2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Julienned Pickled Beets. I found a jar in my pantry but the sell by date was about 8 years ago (things get pushed to the back & are forgotten).  But now I can't find them in the supermarkets. I used to make a delicious salad with the beets, gorgonzola, Romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, etc.

Why not buy pickled beet slices and cut them up julienne style? I love pickled beets, but I buy regular beet slices and pickle them myself. The pickled beets have sugar in them that I don't want. And I throw in some hard boiled eggs to pickle as well.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Why not buy pickled beet slices and cut them up julienne style? I love pickled beets, but I buy regular beet slices and pickle them myself. The pickled beets have sugar in them that I don't want. And I throw in some hard boiled eggs to pickle as well.

That's what I'll have to do if I want to make that salad 😒

Fresh Thyme's Sweet Hawaiian "Onion Rings" (in quotes, because they were more like puffy crisps, not onion rings). Anything I've found with the same name, is nothing like them. They discontinued them in the past year. 

My waistline didn't need to hear this, but Godiva ice cream pints, discontinued in the early 2000s or so, are back with seven new flavors! (But not in any of my supermarket chains just yet, naturally!)

I want to get my hands on Midnight Swirl, once it does arrive to my store. I remember the ice cream pints before were to die for, and I was so sad when they were discontinued!

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 12/31/2021 at 10:18 PM, Anela said:

Fresh Thyme's Sweet Hawaiian "Onion Rings" (in quotes, because they were more like puffy crisps, not onion rings). Anything I've found with the same name, is nothing like them. They discontinued them in the past year. 

I have found these again! Memorial day weekend, at the World Market, under the name of another company. But this made me happy. The company is Cosmic Creations (the store has two different kinds of Sweet Maui Onion Ring chips). 

Edited by Anela
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

This isn't food...but I can't find McCormick's Seasonal anywhere...even on Amazon! Does anyone know of a good substitute? Thanks!

According to Mr. Google, Morton’s purchased the Season-All brand from McCormick’s. A quick search shows it is indeed now Morton’s Season-All. I don’t know if they changed the ingredients. You might see if your stores carry the Morton’s version. Looks like my Sam’s has it in stock.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Any Choco-Taco lovers here? Their discontinuance merited a New Yorker article.

My friends and I had a LONG discussion about the Choco-Taco, both it's history with us and the future of the item.

We came to the conclusion that the Choco-Taco will rise again. 

• LOL 1

Klondike says based on the response from discontinuing the Choco Taco, they'll bring it back, but have no timeline yet.

The week they announced it was being discontinued, I got an email from ATK that included how to make your own Choco Taco. I had never heard of it until I found out it was gone. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
On 8/29/2022 at 4:58 PM, chessiegal said:

Klondike says based on the response from discontinuing the Choco Taco, they'll bring it back, but have no timeline yet.

The week they announced it was being discontinued, I got an email from ATK that included how to make your own Choco Taco. I had never heard of it until I found out it was gone. 🤷‍♀️

I wonder if they discontinued the Choco Taco just so the news would go viral.  They had every intention of bringing it back from the beginning.  #publicitystunt

7 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

B&M Baked Beans in the little brown glass jar😩. I even contacted the company & they said they're no longer making this version. I've tried their canned baked beans...totally different & nowhere near as good.

New company ownership. No longer made with love in Portland, ME.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, PRgal said:

I wonder if they discontinued the Choco Taco just so the news would go viral.  They had every intention of bringing it back from the beginning.  #publicitystunt

They haven't brought it back yet. Just checked the menu.

Reading about the end of the glass jars of B&M Baked Beans reminded me of another discontinued product I remember: Sau Sea Shrimp Cocktail. It came in small glasses, some of which I'm still using. Their current website lists various sauces, including shrimp cocktail sauce, but no shrimp cocktail.

For those who have no clue what I'm talking about, here's a blog post from an author the same age I am.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Reading about the end of the glass jars of B&M Baked Beans reminded me of another discontinued product I remember: Sau Sea Shrimp Cocktail. It came in small glasses, some of which I'm still using. Their current website lists various sauces, including shrimp cocktail sauce, but no shrimp cocktail.

For those who have no clue what I'm talking about, here's a blog post from an author the same age I am.

My mother always bought this. We also used those glasses.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/9/2022 at 11:38 AM, rcc said:

My mother always bought this. We also used those glasses.

I'm not familiar with this specific shrimp cocktail, although I'm sure such a thing graced my parents' refrigerator in the past, but I do miss the era in which you had a great reusable *attractive* glass left (drinking, storage, whatever) from your food purchase. Now its understandably utilitarian (still useful!).

• Like 1
6 hours ago, isalicat said:

I'm not familiar with this specific shrimp cocktail, although I'm sure such a thing graced my parents' refrigerator in the past, but I do miss the era in which you had a great reusable *attractive* glass left (drinking, storage, whatever) from your food purchase. Now its understandably utilitarian (still useful!).

I remember glass jelly jars not Smuckers another off brand where we would use the jars as drinking glasses.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Nicmar said:

I remember glass jelly jars not Smuckers another off brand where we would use the jars as drinking glasses.

Welch's had Flintstones and Archie Comics jelly jars. I wouldn't call them an off brand, though they don't have as many flavors as Smuckers.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

This reminds me of a Mary Tyler Moore episode where Lou Grant didn't have enough glasses for a party, and he starts eating jars of jelly to get more glasses. 🤣

I don't remember this, but it sounds like something some guys (the "Lou guys") would do.

There was a pasta I really liked which I thought was discontinued, but it turns out that the company redesigned their packaging!  The trouble was that I could NEVER remember the brand's name and relied on design.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Banquet Frozen Cream Pies.  The chocolate and coconut were my faves. Granny always had them in freezer.

Add me to the group "Space Sticks!!! I forgot all about them!!!" And yet I well remember the taste and texture.

Nut Goodie and Bun candy bars. Jello 123. Whip n Chill. Dream Whip. The gravy and beef or turkey boil-in-bag packets.  Ah the memories!!! 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, PamPamPam said:

Add me to the group "Space Sticks!!!

I seem to remember a product called Food Sticks. A cylindrical phenomenon, packaged individually in paper wrappers. As a kid we thought they were fun (I do believe they were marketed as a spaceman product), but my memory is that they tasted just north of vile, lol. I remember the chocolate and maybe a peanut butter or butterscotch flavors? 

12 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Exactly. We are probably talking about the same item. Though this box doesn't have the word 'Space' on it, other images, while showing this item, are labeled as 'Pillsbury Space Food Sticks'. image.png.9d93f672e7bd9431dcc4a59f820c36db.png

That image looks like something I'm guessing others can probably guess what that something is....😄

I remember them as Space Food Sticks!   Sort of like Tootsie Rolls?

Does anyone remember Carnation Instant Breakfast?  A powder you mixed with milk.  I used to like it.   I haven't seen it around in years, but I haven't been looking.  Your mentions of other synthetic foodstuffs reminded me.   ETA:  They now seem to be called Carnation Breakfast Essentials!  That's a laugh. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Does anyone remember Carnation Instant Breakfast?  A powder you mixed with milk.  I used to like it.   I haven't seen it around in years, but I haven't been looking.  Your mentions of other synthetic foodstuffs reminded me.   ETA:  They now seem to be called Carnation Breakfast Essentials!  That's a laugh. 

Yes - I still get that occasionally.  I guess the name change didn't register.  (FWIW - I like the powder form - tastes like Nestle Quik - but once I tried the ready made in a bottle and that stuff was nasty!)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1