Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: We Are Family

• Start Topic

TUESDAY, APRIL 9, 8:00-9:00 p.m. EDT 

Will reunites with a long-lost relative, uncovering unexpected and profound similarities. Meanwhile, the GBI and APD investigate a judge's murder while Faith's connection with Luke deepens.

I'm excited about the dog pictures. 

Also, wondering what Betty will wear in Georgia summers? They will have to find accessories that aren't so warming lest she overheat.

• Like 4
(edited)

This is what family looks like.

i am glad that Will is having such a Good experience with his uncle.  Angie is right he doesn’t have to separate the parts of his life.

i thought the low key funny plot point was Ormwood trying to French braid his daughter’s hair and getting the best advise from a drag queen.

Everyone is Amanda’s car was funny as well.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 20
  • Love 2

1. Show, please don't break my heart & have Uncle Antonio be bad.

2. Love the family potluck.

3. Nick Lowe!!! I'm liking Lucy Morales & her musical tastes.

4. Chef's kiss to the title card this ep!

• Like 22
  • Applause 1

Omg favorite episode so far! And I didn't even mind Ormewood and his French braid problems, BonBon for the win lol! Between the 'All Amanda's kids' car ride and the 'vanilla envelope' scenes, I was gasping for air, I laughed so damn hard. I would not at all mind the club characters making a return visit, they were fantastic. And the son trying to take the blame for his sister, he did not get any of the details right at all. When he yelled about his mom and her butch car choices, I hollered. The last scenes in the club were very well filmed because I wasn't at all sure someone wouldn't get hurt, so that was a nice tension. 

I teared up at the family dinner. Will has more people who care about him than he realizes and I love that for him. I'm still not over Cricket but this was really nice. I will definitely watch this episode again. Well done, high marks all around. 

• Like 18
  • Applause 2
(edited)

I really enjoyed this episode.  

1.  Ormwood:   He reminds me of something said on another cop show I think Cold Case about a male cop “He only looks like a Neanderthal.”    I really do think one of the funnier small details of the episode was him trying to figure out how to French braid his daughter’s hair and actually taking the advice of a drag queen.  

2.  The Drag Show:  I like that the main group of drag performers all had distinct personalities.  I would love the lawyer guy showing up from time to time.    I also liked the stop him BonBon moment.  And yeah the killer was obvious but also made a sad sort of sense considering the family theme of the episode.

3.  Will Trent’s Uncle.  I am glad that Will has someone to bond with and I am hoping that the bonding continues and that Will is able to combine the parts of his life.

4.  The episode eluded to the fact Angie’s mom is still alive.   Now that will be an interesting story.   Someone who pimped out her own daughter.   I both want to see who plays the character and am scared  for what it would mean for Angie.

5.  The car scene and the potluck dinner were funny and sweet.   I would love to see more of these weirdly familiar moments with the group because whether he knows it or not Will Trent does have a family.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 15
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Chaos Theory said:

The episode eluded to the fact Angie’s mom is still alive.   Now that will be an interesting story.   Someone who pimped out her own daughter.   I both want to see who plays the character and am scared  for what it would mean for Angie.

I riot if it's not Katey Sagal.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Enjoyed the episode and didn't even mind Ormewood and laughed a little at him asking and taking advice about his daughter's hair from a drag queen.  Amanda and everyone in the car reminded me of my brother and his car, lol.

I also hope Uncle Antonio isn't a bad guy.  And yes, the murderer was obvious.

• Like 7

Betty Maria White Trent has impressed Uncle Antonio with her big-dog energy. You go girl! 😘

With the 3 weeks hiatus, am gonna miss Betty so much… 😭

Am glad the drag queen characters have been given some depths, distinct personalities and memorable lines. They are more compelling than the vapid real housewives.

Glinda Velvet (lawyer by day, performer by night) is enigmatic and fascinating. 😆

“I’m a five-season Shonda Rhimes show.”

I love Bon Bon Chiffon, the wig protection detail. 😂

“Special Agent, you flirting with me? I’m feeling a vibe.”

The best line of the episode belongs to Will. 😂

“Everyone here has the utmost respect for the wigs.”

The vanilla envelope bit is also funny and memorable. Even Will is drawn into it. 😅

“What was in the vanilla envelope?”

I like seeing Faith and Michael working together again, bonding over single parenting and braids. Nice moments.

OVERALL - this is a great episode, my favorite of S02. It’s filled with funny lines and heartwarming family moments - Will & Betty meeting Antonio & Portia, Cooper inviting the gang to the potluck, Nico pushing Will to invite his uncle to the gathering, Antonio cannot wait to meet Angie etc.

Plus, this week’s title card is awesome and catchy. Love it! 💙

85AF54DF-5817-4FC9-85AE-8D41905C291E.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

Oh I loved this episode down!

1- Will and his uncle bonding.

2- I always like when all four: Will, Faith, Angie and Ormewood work together.  Their group dynamic across the four of them is interesting and the writers seem to bring their A game with the personality and quips.

3 - The writing was fabulous. It was a line a minute, so clever, smart, and funny.

4- I actually liked Ormewood's personal life for the first time. 

5 - Fantastic guest characters. Bonbon ftw. I would love to seen Bonbon and Josiah again.

6- The case itself was good. But I figured it was the sister from the first interrogation scene.

7 - The final scene of the party -- what a fantastic ending,

Other little things:

Yes - on the title card.  Very appropos. The Watchmen on HBO (the one with Regina King) also used to do really fun and creative title cards at the top of each episode.

Everyone calling it the 'vanilla envelope.'

Bonbon's reaction to Amanda's entire look. I can relate Bonbon.

Anita Subpoena

Amanda calling Faith's office a 'Sex Den' whereupon Faith calls HR to report workplace harassment.  LOL.

Of course Amanda would have car rules before allowing anyone to get in her car:

Amanda: "Wipe your feet"

Angie "On what?" 

Gabe's "confession" scene.

• Like 17
  • Applause 2

Did Antonio Miranda not know his sister had a baby, why did he not take Will with him?

It was confusing, I couldn't tell if Antonio Miranda lived in Puerto Rico or Georgia, what caused him to settled down in Georgia, it seems like a weird choice.

Why would Ro shoot her mother Judge Ringgold, after she finally accepts her son's lifestyle. Judge Ringgold probably would have been happy for Gabe to return to the family, it was the Step-father that would be keeping them apart, I could understand if he was the one that Ro shot instead of her mother.

• Like 5

I'm so glad that Uncle Antonio survived the episode and seems like a really good guy, with Will's luck this season I was fearing the worst. Its so nice to see Will getting to bond with his uncle and feel come connection with his biological mother, it was so sweet when he and Antonio realized that they both had dyslexia. 

This was overall just a great episode, even if the mystery was easy to solve. Of course it was the sister, but I liked how it all played out and it fit into the theme of family, especially family who have been separated. It was really nice seeing Will, Faith, Angie and Ormewood all working together in one plot instead of off in their own stories, it even made Ormewood's family drama a bit more interesting. BonBon for the win! The kids on the car and everything with the vanilla/manila envelope were cracking me up, and I about died at the big Will Trent sign in the drag club.

I really liked all of the drag performers, they were all such distinct memorable characters, I hope we see them pop up again. That ending potluck really got me, Will really does have more people who love him then he thinks. 

Is Angee's mom still alive? I guess I thought she was dead or at least her location was unknown, it would certainly be a drama bomb if she showed up.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Judge Ringgold

I just now grokked this: as in 'Judge Reinhold'?  With all the 80s reference it kinda has to be, right?

• LOL 4
23 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Did Antonio Miranda not know his sister had a baby, why did he not take Will with him?

It was confusing, I couldn't tell if Antonio Miranda lived in Puerto Rico or Georgia, what caused him to settled down in Georgia, it seems like a weird choice.

Why would Ro shoot her mother Judge Ringgold, after she finally accepts her son's lifestyle. Judge Ringgold probably would have been happy for Gabe to return to the family, it was the Step-father that would be keeping them apart, I could understand if he was the one that Ro shot instead of her mother.

Antonio said he was 2 years younger and Lucy ran away with her boyfriend, so I don't think he knew about her having a child. I think he lived in Georgia then moved back to Puerto Rico for a while, then moved back to Georgia again. He mentioned he was a professor, so maybe teaching brought him back. I'm interested to know what his curricula is.

I don't think Rowan knew her mom had made up with her brother, she didn't go inside the club, she was outside. From what I gather, she was angry about her brother not coming back for her and really hated how she had been raised. She mentioned not being allowed to say his name after he left. So I gathered that she didn't know her mother had had an epiphany after the car accident, and was just really emotionally damaged. The stepfather was a straight asshole and she blamed her mom for bringing that fuckstick into their home. She regretted it as soon as she did it because they made a big deal about the shooter using the judge's pashmina to try to stop the bleeding. I wouldn't think too much deeper about it than that lol. 

Oh! I almost forgot about Josiah, during the false confession and Angie said 'manila envelope' and Josiah said 'Oh, you do know how to pronounce it'. There were so many good things in this episode, I also completely forgot about Faith calling HR on Amanda and HR answering and knowing exactly who it was and what she was calling about! 😂

• Like 4
(edited)
11 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Hey, Bon Bon was Ginger on Katy Keene four years ago. I knew that sass was familiar.

I was looking her up and I found the Katy Keene show.  is it worth watching?  We used to read Katy Keene comics when I was a kid in the 60s!  

I just loved this episode and I think everyone has listed all the great moments. Maybe drag queen lawyer was a fave. Stop him Bob Bon. And the nice uncle and the dogs. Bon Bon had will and Angie’s number. So funny. 

Oh yeah and the uncle was dyslexic. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 2

I loved all the drag queens. I got the strong feeling at the end that the lawyer would be back.

So much humor in this one, and I like it. Helps a lot. The vanilla envelope banter and doing French braids was great. More of this, please.

Like others, I hope Antonio doesn't turn out to have some heavy baggage. 

• Like 8
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:

Omg favorite episode so far!

Same!

I re-watched the “vanilla envelope” scene half a dozen times before I continued the episode. Glinda/Josiah’s exasperation cracked me up!

• Like 3

When they showed up at the bar flashing their badges, I expected a panic reaction, and was surprised by the warm welcome... and then it turned out they had called in the threats and been ignored, and thought that is why Will, Angie/etc were there. 

I hope that isn't forgotten-- that the police didn't do anything about the threats.

• Like 5

Gotta echo all the love for this episode. It was just fantastic.

Although, I was sorta tense the whole episode that Antonio was going to be bad and/or killed. I was threatening to quit watching if they did that. And I guess it's still on the table so honestly I will maybe quit if he's bad or sick or anything horrible. Just let Will have something nice!

When the promo came up and said 'In 3 weeks' I screamed 'noooo!' lol. I just love this show so much.

• Like 8
8 hours ago, possibilities said:

When they showed up at the bar flashing their badges, I expected a panic reaction, and was surprised by the warm welcome... and then it turned out they had called in the threats and been ignored, and thought that is why Will, Angie/etc were there. 

I hope that isn't forgotten-- that the police didn't do anything about the threats.

The threats seemed to be coming from that one guy, who was arrested.

On 4/9/2024 at 9:11 PM, Izzy85 said:

I loved "mom" Amanda with all her kids and her car rules

I bought my first new car when I was 23. I had lots of car rules, including "only clear liquids." No food was a given!

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

I may have had tears in my eyes a few times during this episode...

I just so much love this show.  Sure I get frustrated with some of the Ormewood family drama, but I did like the 'drama' in this episode related to the braids.  So, I guess when it's not melodramatic I can enjoy it.

Like others, I hope his uncle is a positive member of Will's extended family.  But, when Antonio's closest friends started demeaning Will because of being a cop, I started to have some doubts about the future direction of their relationship (I.e. Antonio and his friends are involved in some nefarious endeavors).  I hope I'm wrong though as I really liked their interactions and am glad Will is going to find out more about his family.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

I really liked how all 4 worked together at the same time. Made the show flow much better than when Angie and Ormewood are off on their own. I hope that they continue to do this. 

Cracked up at Amanda and her car rules. 

Really loved the "family" dinner. Hope Uncle Antonio continues to be as positive and warm as he was in this episode. 

• Like 8

😂 The look on Amanda's face when she said "Ormewood, I *know* you are not eating in my car," including the eye-squint. Priceless.

Why is Amanda cock-blocking Faith? So unnecessary.

• Like 1

I'll echo what everyone else is saying, that this was a great episode, possibly the best so far.  Even Ormewood was okay this time.  Maybe they're giving him a redemption arc?  The French braids issue was real, and I liked how he tricked the protester/vandal guy into confessing by pretending to be on his side.  Simple yet effective.

Everyone working together on the same case still didn't quite make sense to me (why would GBI and APD be working together?  Because it was a judge?) but I handwaved it because it was still better than Angie and Ormewood being off on their own case, and it did give us the car scene.

When Will met Uncle Antonio's friends, and one of them immediately called will a "dirty cop" -- what was that all about?  Was he just a cop hater?  I would've liked Uncle Antonio to have defended Will a bit, or at least give his friend some shit about jumping on his nephew like that, but Will just dealt with him head-on.  Yes, I shot a guy just last week.  Three times.  Followed all the procedures, but he's still dead.  Maybe the friend (I forget his name) didn't expect an actual response, because he seemed to back off a little bit, but Will had to go be a "dirty cop" so we didn't get a real resolution there.

Luke seems to only be around to be Faith's love interest, and a reason for Amanda to whine about something.  But that's a relatively minor thing I guess in an otherwise really good episode.  I liked the family theme showing up over and over in various forms.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Orbert said:

Luke seems to only be around to be Faith's love interest, and a reason for Amanda to whine about something.  

I'm gonna guess that something more significant is going to happen with Luke. He's a reporter, so it'll probably have something to do with that. He'll uncover some info about one of the other characters (Antonio?), or he'll get killed investigating a story, or whatever. 

• Like 2
(edited)

Where is Faith coming from with this snotty attitude, blowing off Amanda and inserting her journo bed buddy into everything?  Girl is getting a bit too big for her britches, acting like she's in charge.  

How is it the crew is handling evidence in the ally of the club without even photographing it first?  Isn't that a standard procedure in a murder investigation?  Bad policing.

I like Uncle Antonio.  He didn't push or try to get too close to Will too quickly.  I hope he stays low key.  

Ok, Anita Subpoena is an awesome drag name!

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

How is it the crew is handling evidence in the ally of the club without even photographing it first?  Isn't that a standard procedure in a murder investigation?  Bad policing.

I definitely noticed that. Let the CSI team do their job!!

• Like 3
(edited)
59 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think maybe Faith is being rude and defiant with Amanda because she's still angry about the previous episode with the tampered evidence. She wasn't like this before.

This and Amanda has a history of giving Faith a hard time about her boyfriends. That may have made sense when Faith was a teenager who got pregnant accidentally, but it's inappropriate for her to be doing that to a woman in her 30s.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

Where is Faith coming from with this snotty attitude, blowing off Amanda

It might have something to do with Faith's mother being recently fired for being a crooked cop. Faith might have been holding Amanda up as a role model and now that is gone as well.

• Like 10
(edited)

I did laugh when Amanda walked in when Faith and her BF were holding hands and Amanda said “I didn’t know I was walking into a sex den”.  That cracked me up.  Amanda wasn’t acting like Faith’s aunt; at that moment, she acted like she’s her 90 year old prim grandmother!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 5
  • LOL 3

This episode felt good. You could feel a little tension from recent events but there's a lot of love among this group and it shows. I like seeing Nico. They bring a really sweet energy to scenes.

I know a lot of folks aren't here for Ormewood's family situation but I like how he's really trying to do right by his kids. I laughed at the french braid drama because I remember when my dad had to do my hair when my went out of town for a funeral. I was 8 or 9 years old and he was flummoxed. He ended up recruiting our next door neighbor so I applauded Ormewood's asking for help. That said, walking his daughter into the middle of a confession and having her say "He doesn't look like a murderer" really creeped me out. I know this show exists in a slightly heightened universe but that felt off to me.

I know Will is happy to have his uncle but eventually Antonio needs to explain how he and Lucy got so estranged that she ended up walking the streets and turning tricks even into her late pregnancy. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Amanda's the one to finally ask that question. 

I see people worried that Antonio will turn bad. I look at it this way, we've been introduced to three newish characters: Luke, the daughter from last season whose name I can't remember, and Uncle Antonio. At least one of those characters will either turn bad or die.

• Like 2
  • Love 1