Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler, Speculation and Social Media

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Absolom said:

It isn't quite as much effort as a legal name change, but you do have to change it for credit cards, bank accounts, etc.  But it can be done bit at a time.  

I used a service (Ms to Mrs I think it was called) which made it a lot easier. You fill all the information in and it spits out completed forms that you can print and instructions on where to send them and with what payment. It was great but it's still a really time consuming process. You don't realize how many places you have a name on file until you start changing them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

You didn't have to file papers with the court and pay those fees and possibly have to retain a lawyer though.  Thank goodness my daughter is a lawyer because I have to change my legal name to the name I've used for 50 years.  Thank you Real ID.

My daughter didn't have to pay any fees when she changed her name on marriage.  She did have to go through the tedious forms, but you can do one or two a month until you're done.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 6

Back in the "old days" when I divorced first hubs I was a housewife raising children. No one would in those days give a woman with no job any credit. I couldn't even, on my own get credit to buy a sewing machine! The s##t we went through in those days was so demeaning!

Remarried a few years after and had a job. Got my own credit and have kept it well ever since. 2nd DH passed in 1997. I have kept the name and will for the rest of my life!

I am who I am and will be so for the rest of my life. My credit history is mine and not tied to any man and never will be!  hmmm maybe a hidden feminist here???

• Love 15
On 2/20/2022 at 6:06 PM, Adiba said:

I wonder if they are even spiritually married in their religion, since the AUB kicked them out? They don’t seem to formally belong to any religion/church now— can you be considered “sealed” to each other in the AUB if you are no longer a member? 

I think we’ve tried to figure this out in one of the other threads too. Nobody knows for sure how this works but I tried to compare it to my parents’ situation: They were Roman Catholics and married in church but legally divorced after 24 years. They no longer go to church and consider their split final and complete. Many people are in this situation and I dare say, almost all feel the same.

While this is true from a legal perspective, it’s not from an ecclesiastic point of view. The RC church still considers them married as they do not recognize legal (civil) divorces. But, my parents no longer go to church and this has absolutely no consequences for their lives other than that they cannot remarry in church. They consider themselves as divorced as one can be and don’t care about what the church says. I guess this is how Christine feels about it too. Meri of course, sees it differently, which is why she is so adamant about still being married.

• Love 13
51 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Back in the "old days" when I divorced first hubs I was a housewife raising children. No one would in those days give a woman with no job any credit. I couldn't even, on my own get credit to buy a sewing machine! The s##t we went through in those days was so demeaning!

Remarried a few years after and had a job. Got my own credit and have kept it well ever since. 2nd DH passed in 1997. I have kept the name and will for the rest of my life!

I am who I am and will be so for the rest of my life. My credit history is mine and not tied to any man and never will be!  hmmm maybe a hidden feminist here???

Same here.  When I got married to the first Mr lookeyloo all I had to change was SS card and drivers license.  But kept name when we divorced because it is name of my children and they were small.  Current Mr lookeyloo never cared one way or the other.  the Equal Credit Protection Act (whatever it was called) was signed just around the time of divorce.  I cut the article out of the paper and took it with me to apply for a mortgage.  The little fellow behind the big desk looked surprised, but I got the mortgage.  I did get credit in my own name.  

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, LilyD said:

I think we’ve tried to figure this out in one of the other threads too. Nobody knows for sure how this works but I tried to compare it to my parents’ situation: They were Roman Catholics and married in church but legally divorced after 24 years. They no longer go to church and consider their split final and complete. Many people are in this situation and I dare say, almost all feel the same.

While this is true from a legal perspective, it’s not from an ecclesiastic point of view. The RC church still considers them married as they do not recognize legal (civil) divorces. But, my parents no longer go to church and this has absolutely no consequences for their lives other than that they cannot remarry in church. They consider themselves as divorced as one can be and don’t care about what the church says. I guess this is how Christine feels about it too. Meri of course, sees it differently, which is why she is so adamant about still being married.

Yes, I was raised Roman Catholic, too. I figured it might be similar to the Brown’s in that their religion still considers them married. However, it makes no difference to Kody anyway, because as a polygamist, he can marry again in the church.
What puzzles me is that they are sealed for eternity, so if Kody is still a true believer, does he think Christine will be joining him in the afterlife, or has he abandoned all of his religious beliefs, except the one that suit him?

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, Adiba said:

What puzzles me is that they are sealed for eternity, so if Kody is still a true believer, does he think Christine will be joining him in the afterlife, or has he abandoned all of his religious beliefs, except the one that suit him?

Since they worship at the Church of the Almighty Dollar, I guess you'd have to check out their "tenants" (tm Robyn).

• LOL 12
On 3/8/2022 at 3:50 PM, crazycatlady58 said:

If I remember correctly they legally changed their name to Brown , Robyn included before she married Cody.

The name chance must have come at the right time for Robyn. Remember her troubles with the Vegas home loan application because she kept using different last names?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Elodia said:

The name chance must have come at the right time for Robyn. Remember her troubles with the Vegas home loan application because she kept using different last names?

I think it would be the norm to put “also known as” names on an application such as maiden names, etc.. It’s been a long time so I don’t know that as fact.

• Useful 6
13 hours ago, Adiba said:

I think he has to call her "through the veil" using her secret name to get her to join him, and maybe he figures he just won't call?  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Fosca said:

I think he has to call her "through the veil" using her secret name to get her to join him, and maybe he figures he just won't call?  

If she still believes in a male dominated celestial kingdom, hopefully he calls and she responds, No Thank You, I'm going to join my father's kingdom, where I will at least be respected.

• Love 13

This is something everyone knows. Robyn brought nothing to the table as a Sister Wife. It burns me up that this show kept her up and it was all a big lie. Not even polygamists much less religious. I honestly don’t think Kody was intimate with any of the others after Robyn. Maybe begrudgingly Christine for a time. It does make me happy that Christine left. And thanks to her the adult kids for the most part are well adjusted.
https://tvshowsace.com/2022/03/09/robyn-brown-was-a-freeloader-janelle-financially-supported/

• Love 11

That has always bothered me, as well.  RobChyn is a lazy sloth, and always had a "mother's helper" around to tend to her precious darlings, so she could sleep in and service Kootie.  The My Sister Wive's Closet thingk was a complete bust.  She's always been the biggest slacker in the fambly.  Everyone was expected to kiss her butt.

Selfish slug.

• Love 20
18 hours ago, lamadeleine said:

Not surprising.  He hasn't said it but I think he is into Qanon.  Besides, we have seen him for 10 years be a tool who cares only about himself.  Very on brand to not be vaccinated.  His kids pre Robyn have really gotten the short end of the stick.  I think in the end they will be better off.

• Love 19

Robyn has complained a lot about being the internet scapegoat over the past few years. Many people were sceptical about her entering the family with three kids, no assets and major debts. It did look like she was hoping to find a nice, comfortable shelter that would take care of all her needs. She said it was so unfair as it wasn't true.

But over the years she has done her best to show us that this was exactly what she was after. Not a single useful contribution to the family. She was just a continuous presence of a freeloader.  And in return, she got from a big and luxurious house (albeit with a basic finishing but still) to an even bigger and more luxurious home. 

Maybe she should consider writing a book. Who wouldn't want to go from nothing to a million dollar mansion in 10 years with doing absolutely nothing?? I'm sure it's going to be a bestseller.

• Love 15
44 minutes ago, LilyD said:

Maybe she should consider writing a book. Who wouldn't want to go from nothing to a million dollar mansion in 10 years with doing absolutely nothing?? I'm sure it's going to be a bestseller.

Weeeeeellllllllll, I wouldn’t exactly say she’s been doing absolutely nothing for the last 10 years . . . It appears that she has been single handedly (no pun intended) servicing Grody from the beginning, perhaps even before their spiritual wedding.  We now know that the intimate portion of the other wives’ marriages were ended by Grody when Sobyn came into the family.  So I guess one could argue that she is doing her share of the work, since you couldn’t pay me or Mike Rowe enough to take on that dirty job . . . 🤮

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
On 3/9/2022 at 4:18 PM, LilyD said:

My grandma and my great aunt  were raised in Church of Nazarene. Grandma married a Baptist, so that was her church.

Great aunt married a fellow Nazarene. He died young, in his 40s. She never remarried because, according to her teachings, he was her one true husband. Very old fashioned fundamental beliefs.

Grandma was glad to leave, preferring the "more moderate" Southern Baptists. (Because they don't handle snakes). Being raised Methodist, my daddy's faith, I was shocked

1) at handling snakes 

2) that anyone would consider Southern Baptist in the 1940s forward to be moderate. 

My poor great aunt, a widow so young! She outlived her husband by 50 years .

Extreme beliefs fascinate me. 

• Love 13
On 3/9/2022 at 5:35 PM, lookeyloo said:

Same here.  When I got married to the first Mr lookeyloo all I had to change was SS card and drivers license.  But kept name when we divorced because it is name of my children and they were small.  Current Mr lookeyloo never cared one way or the other.  the Equal Credit Protection Act (whatever it was called) was signed just around the time of divorce.  I cut the article out of the paper and took it with me to apply for a mortgage.  The little fellow behind the big desk looked surprised, but I got the mortgage.  I did get credit in my own name.  

So many interesting stories from the members of this forum! I love hearing these. Being born in the early 60s, I really benefitted from the strides women made during the ERA era.

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

Being born in the early 60s, I really benefitted from the strides women made during the ERA era.

One that I wish had been long gone when I bought my first house in 1980 was referring to unmarried women as "spinsters". My mortgage papers said "(my name), a spinster, agrees to..." 

I almost didn't sign!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Luvless said:

This is something everyone knows. Robyn brought nothing to the table as a Sister Wife. It burns me up that this show kept her up and it was all a big lie. Not even polygamists much less religious. I honestly don’t think Kody was intimate with any of the others after Robyn. Maybe begrudgingly Christine for a time. It does make me happy that Christine left. And thanks to her the adult kids for the most part are well adjusted.
https://tvshowsace.com/2022/03/09/robyn-brown-was-a-freeloader-janelle-financially-supported/

I'm no fan of Robyn, but in many - if not most  - fundie Mormon marriages, women are treated as brood mares and cast aside in favor of a younger model when they stop having children. The only difference with the Browns is that they started out trying to portray polygamy in a positive light. There's been a lot of speculation that they got the show because of the "adding a 4th wife" plot, so if is indeed the case, she has certainly contributed financially. It was a fringe benefit that Kody was in love with her (as much as a raging narcissist can be in love with anyone but himself). Pure speculation - he may have held it over the others' heads that Robyn brought them TV $$$ and the deal may have been that in exchange, she was entitled to nannies, a "bizness" that the others had to help with, special treatment, the extra honeymoon (that wasn't filmed) etc. IIRC the extra honeymoon took place after the "legal marriage" but before the news got out about Meri and Kody's divorce.

Of course, in this scenario they would have to also give Meri a LOT of credit for inadvertently saving their bacon with the catfish, which revived sagging ratings and renewed viewers' interest in the show. But Kody hates Meri so she doesn't get credit for keeping them on the air.

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Art Of Noiz said:

My grandma and my great aunt  were raised in Church of Nazarene. Grandma married a Baptist, so that was her church.

Great aunt married a fellow Nazarene. He died young, in his 40s. She never remarried because, according to her teachings, he was her one true husband. Very old fashioned fundamental beliefs.

Grandma was glad to leave, preferring the "more moderate" Southern Baptists. (Because they don't handle snakes). Being raised Methodist, my daddy's faith, I was shocked

1) at handling snakes 

2) that anyone would consider Southern Baptist in the 1940s forward to be moderate. 

My poor great aunt, a widow so young! She outlived her husband by 50 years .

Extreme beliefs fascinate me. 

I’m confused about the handling snakes—most people, unless they keep them as pets or are reptile handlers/zoo employees (as I once was), don’t do this anyways.

Why do people handle them for religious reasons? Genuine curiousity/concern (concern for the snakes, not the humans). 

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Why do people handle them for religious reasons?

Never try to assign common sense to religions of any kind.  Every single one has some bizarre rule or belief that defies logic.

I have always loved this scene from The West Wing where Barlett confronts a snotty born again radio personality by quoating bizarre bible verses. 

Edited by Cetacean
  • Love 13
25 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I’m confused about the handling snakes—most people, unless they keep them as pets or are reptile handlers/zoo employees (as I once was), don’t do this anyways.

Why do people handle them for religious reasons? Genuine curiousity/concern (concern for the snakes, not the humans). 

If I remember correctly it proves your faith in God...that He will protect you. Personally I don't feel the need to prove my faith.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Test of faith. God should save you from  the venom. My grandma was born 1923 in the Ozarks. I suspect this still happens in small churches in isolated areas. 

• Useful 6
5 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Your faith wasn’t strong enough? God’s will? An act of Satan?

Makes me doubly glad to be an agnostic.  If I played with a snake and died it would just prove my stupity and nothing else. Plus help to disinfect the gene pool.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, Art Of Noiz said:

Very good question! The dead one was  a sinner lacking  faith. 

I wonder what would happen if the participant killed the snake.  Would they be lauded as a saint or sent out to forage for a replacement for next week's demonstration? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Never try to assign common sense to religions of any kind.  Every single one has some bizarre rule or belief that defies logic.

I have always loved this scene from The West Wing where Barlett confronts a snotty born again radio personality by quoating bizarre bible verses. 

Well that scene is going to get me to binge this show!  Thank you Cetacean!

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Well that scene is going to get me to binge this show!

I hope you do. It was brilliant. One of the episodes deals with the president of an African nation who is visiting the US. His government has a coup and he is adamant he has to go back to his people, he is the leader and they need him.  Reminds me of Zelensky.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Cetacean said:

I love this scene!

I once chased off a "knock on your door to sell you Jesus" woman with a bible in her hand.  I finally told her she needs to just stop.  I was able to quote her book from memory and she needed to use her book marks to read passages then she needed to study it more than I did.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

image.thumb.png.696f4ca33ef1d8e1142c0538a2b55bff.pngSo, I only recently discovered Soapdirt and while a lot of the stuff out there is crap (sorry for the language) there are some fun bits as well. I just came across this screenshot from a scene where Kody is about to do his pitch for the sale of the houses and the move to Flagstaff.  

You clearly see a picture of Kody and his four wives. But there is another family photo as well. And this is conveniently (??) placed in front of Meri.... Effectively changing the Kody and four wives to Kody and three wives... As soapdirt noted; it might be a coincidence of course. But it is also typical that the least favourite wife is blocked out by a picture that could easily have been placed on a different shelf!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, LilyD said:

image.thumb.png.696f4ca33ef1d8e1142c0538a2b55bff.pngSo, I only recently discovered Soapdirt and while a lot of the stuff out there is crap (sorry for the language) there are some fun bits as well. I just came across this screenshot from a scene where Kody is about to do his pitch for the sale of the houses and the move to Flagstaff.  

You clearly see a picture of Kody and his four wives. But there is another family photo as well. And this is conveniently (??) placed in front of Meri.... Effectively changing the Kody and four wives to Kody and three wives... As soapdirt noted; it might be a coincidence of course. But it is also typical that the least favourite wife is blocked out by a picture that could easily have been placed on a different shelf!

Kootie looks completely unhinged with that shitty hair.  He was rilly losing it there with his BS "presentation."  

That is kind of interesting about erasing Meri in the above "pitcher."  He's wanted her to leave for years, so his subliminal? message to her underlines his fillings for the former HBIC (and former legal wife.)

• Love 11
On 3/11/2022 at 10:35 PM, Roslyn said:

I love this scene!

I once chased off a "knock on your door to sell you Jesus" woman with a bible in her hand.  I finally told her she needs to just stop.  I was able to quote her book from memory and she needed to use her book marks to read passages then she needed to study it more than I did.

That scene was great. Never watched the show, heard of it but never watched an episode. 

I’ve also chased off door knockers, given at the time of the knocking I was being trained in ancient biblical texts after years of language study.  I generally keep my mouth shut unless an opportunity presents itself, as it often does with these types. What bothers me most is when they act like they know more than the stranger whose door they’re knocking on: “Actually, that’s NOT what it says—come back after you’ve figured it out.”

1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

Kootie looks completely unhinged with that shitty hair.  He was rilly losing it there with his BS "presentation."  

That is kind of interesting about erasing Meri in the above "pitcher."  He's wanted her to leave for years, so his subliminal? message to her underlines his fillings for the former HBIC (and former legal wife.)

He just happened to cover Meri up? Says quite a lot without any words. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I’m trying to remember which house he was in while doing that stupid presentation… maybe it was that wife who placed the “pitchers”.

I always thought each wife decorated her home the way she wanted, Meri with her marriage certificate framed and displayed on the wall, Janelle with her ass-fire horses, Robyn and her hundreds of precious moment knick knacks etc.. I can’t imagine Kody caring enough to move photos or knick knacks around.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
24 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I’m trying to remember which house he was in while doing that stupid presentation… maybe it was that wife who placed the “pitchers”.

I always thought each wife decorated her home the way she wanted, Meri with her marriage certificate framed and displayed on the wall, Janelle with her ass-fire horses, Robyn and her hundreds of precious moment knick knacks etc.. I can’t imagine Kody caring enough to move photos or knick knacks around.

I seem to remember ass-fire in the episode, so maybe Janelle's house?

I love that description so much!

• LOL 9
On 3/11/2022 at 8:35 PM, Roslyn said:

I love this scene!

Normally on Saturday mornings I don't open the door to knockers bearing holy books, but once I was up on a ladder painting the trim & a pair of Mormons cornered me. I told them I'd read the Bible, Book of Mormon, the Quran, Greek Mythology & cited how they all use some of the exact same parables and started asking them questions about how they chose which religion was correct. None had bothered to read anything but their own religion's propaganda. They ran away.

• LOL 16

I rewatched Season 16. I think that everyone in the family was very honest and clear about where they stood. Here’s how I see it.

Christine: Realized that polygamy isn't for her. Accepted that her marriage to Kody was never going to be happy or get better. Saw that he truly loved Robyn and he would never feel that way about her. Had adult children that she was much happier around and decided to make that happier lifestyle permanent.

Janelle: Torn between her adult children and Kody. Didn't feel her sons could, would, or should follow Robyn and Kody's strict protocols. Was willing to be without Kody for extended periods in order to do what she felt was the best thing for her children. Still wants the relationship she traditionally had with Kody, which is not overly needy. At the end of the day, she'll do what she wants and hope that Kody will fit in. She seems to truly like Kody and is aware, but doesn't care, that Robyn is his soul mate.

Meri: No relationship with Kody but hangs around because she has nothing else. Even though Robyn pulled a fast one on her and stole legal wife status, she just keeps kissing her butt because she has nothing else at all.

Robyn: Queen of the family to Kody. Every time he says that the other wives or himself should do something in the interest of the family, he really means in the interest of Robyn and her kids. Robyn just wants to be happy with Kody and her kids and really doesn't care one way or the other what the rest of them do.

Kody: Having a very hard time with the fact that Christine, Janelle and their 12 children are willing to give up seeing him in order to do what they want. Even though he makes it very clear that Robyn and her kids are most important to him, he wants them to put him first anyway. It deeply hurts his feelings that they accept where they stand with him and live their lives accordingly. He thought that the rest of his family would never hold him accountable for his obvious favoritism of Robyn and her kids. He's coming to terms with the fact that that's not the way it's going to go.

Season 16 was very interesting. All of the dynamics that had been building for years finally came to a head.

• Love 22

TLC fueled gossip to keep us interested?

https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2022/04/kody-brown-pursues-fourth-wife-fifth-wife-im-rebuilding-my-famil/

Kody allegedly finds two more women interested in him.

I can't imagine that RobChyn would agree to Kootie taking more "wives."  It would be the karma that she probably deserves.  He'd love a giant ego boost, though.  "I'm such an alpha studly stud, that I get propositioned all the time."  Uh - those two women (if they exist at all) must be fame whores and not very smart.

It's fun to speculate.  Those articles make for great snark!

• Love 6
(edited)

TLC fueled gossip to keep us interested?

https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2022/04/kody-brown-pursues-fourth-wife-fifth-wife-im-rebuilding-my-famil/

Kody allegedly finds two more women interested in him.

Exactly.

I’ve become fairly certain that Kody divorced Meri, Janelle, and Christine at the same time - thAt long ago - and all the parties just stayed linked in a business partnership. They either kept the divorce from TLC as best they could (which is a stretch, I know, since that seems impossible) or TLC helped them out in order to keep a popular show going. It may be why the seasons grew shorter - because the entire family (mostly) only gets together for fulfilling the contractual requirements for the show. Hence the trouble over T-day and X-mas. Everyone had their own lives and opinions about the pandemic, but had obligations to film certain events for the show. I can’t imagine a couple willingly laying their divorce out for public consumption unless it was well past the fact and they had mutually agreed on a narrative.  I do believe portions of the truth are in there - I just think it’s old news to people who have since moved on. Hence the reason Christine gave us those stale tears and fake collapses.  It explains why Meri was looking for love, not cheating.  It explains the move to Flagstaff. Kody and Robyn could do as they pleased and the other business partners just had to come along for whatever business decision was in play. It also explains why Kody wasn’t going from house to house during the pandemic — because it was just how things were. Maybe Robyn wanted Kody to curtail visitation because of the pandemic, or maybe Kody was steadily growing away from his children like some divorced men do, or both, and got caught at it.  But these marriages being over well before the pandemic is the conclusion that makes the most sense - to me. They just have to own it now since junk leaks out and it’s hard to keep ahead of it. Plus it’s done wonders for the show. 
I’m sure there are some better arguments for the opposite opinion, but I had an AHA moment when Kody barked to the tell-all interviewer that Meri was cheating. It didn’t fit or gel or ring true, especially in light of their 10-year sexual separation. Kody knows good and well she wasn’t cheating. He’s just playing his role. ::Whispers:: As a liar.
And Robyn’s left with no other defense except the one that makes her look like an idiot.
::Whispers:: And a liar.

In fact, y’all…

Edited by Just Wondering
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7

Kody only needed to divorce Meri.  He was never legally married to Janelle or Christine so couldn't divorce them.  Their arrangement merely faded away after Robyn appeared.  So in that respect it's accurate that their relationships were dead before the pandemic.  

• Love 11
51 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Kody only needed to divorce Meri.  He was never legally married to Janelle or Christine so couldn't divorce them.  Their arrangement merely faded away after Robyn appeared.  So in that respect it's accurate that their relationships were dead before the pandemic.  

If they are still adhering to the tenets of their religion, I believe there is some sort of dissolution of their spiritual union required.  That may be academic at this point though, it seems that they are removed from any type of formal religion.

• Love 7