Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: The Silent Partner

• Start Topic

“The Silent Partner” – A big investor backs out of Sam and Jay’s restaurant, leaving them to turn to the one ghost who has money – Isaac. Mar 14

WRITTEN BY: Kira Kalush

DIRECTED BY: Trent O’Donnell

image.jpeg.04697ec20a6a7b8b4ac01425e0884145.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

-"What type of candy?"
-"Nose candy?"

(So, would Hetty actually get high on ghost cocaine? If she snorts it, would it just go through her and back into the purse?)

So... did Trevor go to Wharton, or what?
(It took him two hours just to enter his password...how long did it take him to set up the account and move the money?)

Jay deserved that Isaac walk-through.

"They chose Higgentoot?"

I was about to type that Pete and Alberta's conversation at the end was sweet (which it was), and then he pulled out the arrow and got all sexy...😄

• Like 13

Everything could have been avoided if Sam had just said "Hi, Isaac" when he walked in the room. Or better yet, if they had gone off site to discuss "stealing" the money.

• Like 17
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 2

Good for Pete for confronting Carol about her cheating. I can’t believe she had the nerve to lie to his face and say she learned about affairs from soap operas. Guess it didn’t occur to her that Pete would’ve known since his memorial two years before. 

It was sweet of Alberta to help Pete out and pretend to be his girlfriend. The rom-com slow-mo of Pete at the end was hilarious. Does Alberta have a crush now? And I don’t think we’ve seen Pete remove the arrow before. In a previous episode he was having trouble sleeping. I wonder if he could keep the arrow out while he sleeps as long as he doesn’t set it down.

Sass and Hetty being obsessed with what’s in Carol’s purse was great. Hetty saying “nose candy” had me rolling. 

In a way, I see Jay’s point, because giving money to a ghost is nuts, but saying Isaac isn’t even a real person was cruel. Giving Isaac and the ghosts their own table at the restaurant was a sweet gesture and obviously meant a lot to them. 

• Like 13
3 minutes ago, phalange said:

I wonder if he could keep the arrow out while he sleeps as long as he doesn’t set it down.

But if he falls asleep he would probably let go and it would go back into his neck and wake him up.

• Like 9

No matter what, Isaac's last name will always be awkward :p. I do love that we got a few more tidbits about his life tonight, though :D! Him being a lawyer makes so much sense - no wonder he likes to argue with Nigel so much XD! I just want to know more about his time as a squirrel taxidermist, myself, LOL. 

(Also, between him talking about people peeing on the floor in his time and him not washing his hands, honestly, his untimely death just seemed inevitable :p.)

But yeah, that was a really nice gesture from Jay at the end. It was interesting to see Isaac, Sam, and Jay at such odds this episode - Isaac defiantly walking through Jay to make his point was hilarious and made me go, "Oooh..." all at the same time. I would've liked to see Trevor and Isaac interact a little more when Trevor was trying to help him with his money, but it was entertaining seeing him trying to help. 

I do feel this isn't the last we'll hear of this money, though - whether it goes to the restaurant or to Isaac's upcoming wedding or his new living quarters with Nigel, or maybe a mix of all three, I do hope we get to see what comes of all this money at some point by the time this season ends :).

Loved Hetty and Sasappis having some goofy fun this episode, being so fascinated with the candy thing XD. 

And it's good to see Pete and Carol finally starting to properly clear the air about her affair. I had a feeling Pete wouldn't be able to keep up his lie for very long, but I did enjoy Alberta and Nancy trying to help him as they did. Nancy just out and out claiming to be Pete's mistress cracked me up. I hope this conversation between Pete and Carol is the beginning of some much needed healing and closure for them both. 

(I also laughed at "Founding Farter" and "A men's clothing store in a Dr. Seuss story" XD. Poor Isaac, LOL.)

• Like 10
  • LOL 2
3 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I had a feeling Pete wouldn't be able to keep up his lie for very long, but I did enjoy Alberta and Nancy trying to help him as they did. Nancy just out and out claiming to be Pete's mistress cracked me up.

I would love to see the outtakes for this episode!  I'm sure they have so much fun making this show.  

• Like 10
  • Wink 1

This was a fun, entertaining episode

I hadn’t realized that Carol didn’t know that Pete knew about the affair so I was confused that she was claiming she learned about affairs from soaps

That ending was interesting. Did we see Pete’s ghost power?

• Like 4
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

(Also, between him talking about people peeing on the floor in his time and him not washing his hands, honestly, his untimely death just seemed inevitable :p.)

When is the last time Isaac has seen a person urinate on the floor, either in person or on television?  I know he hasn't been to a tavern in ages, but he's surely seen television shows where patrons go to pubs, speakeasys, taverns, restaurants, etc.  And if the argument is that tv wouldn't show floor-urination, it certainly shows men entering restrooms and standing in front of urinals.

His insistence on straw on the floor for that reason seemed highly unrealistic.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 8

Did anyone else think it a little odd that Sam scolded Jay for being mean to Isaac when she was really rude (and only gave a half-apology) to the ghosts in the Halloween episode?  It just seems out of character for Jay and Sam in both episodes.  

• Like 9

This episode was hilarious. I loved Alberta and Nancy pretending to be Pete's girlfriend. Jay was out of character but he did have a point about Isaac being a ghost Sam should have explained to Isaac that bathrooms are different now and they needed money. I was surprised that Jay hadn't read Sam's book he's usally supportive of her. I don't blame Carol for being freaked out by Sass and Hetty. 

• Like 4

LoL, the horse pie and Cinnamon being put into it was hilarious. And so was Hetty's request to suck on Carole's fingers with the candy 🤣.

I have to say I am surprised Carol is sticking around. I thought the episode would be about giving her and Pete closure and she would move on at the end. Maybe that will happen last week? For sure they don't want to expand the cast even more.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, Katy M said:

Everything could have been avoided if Sam had just said "Hi, Isaac" when he walked in the room. Or better yet, if they had gone off site to discuss "stealing" the money.

But then we wouldn't have a full half hour episode to watch.

4 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

When is the last time Isaac has seen a person urinate on the floor, either in person or on television?  I know he hasn't been to a tavern in ages, but he's surely seen television shows where patrons go to pubs, speakeasys, taverns, restaurants, etc.  And if the argument is that tv wouldn't show floor-urination, it certainly shows men entering restrooms and standing in front of urinals.

But it's a comedy.  It's not suppose to be highly realistic.  It's suppose to entertain and relax you and give you some laughs and such.

35 minutes ago, Harvey said:

LoL, the horse pie and Cinnamon being put into it was hilarious. And so was Hetty's request to suck on Carole's fingers with the candy 🤣.

I have to say I am surprised Carol is sticking around. I thought the episode would be about giving her and Pete closure and she would move on at the end. Maybe that will happen last week? For sure they don't want to expand the cast even more.

Like I said last week, I assume she is the fill-in until Flower returns otherwise you have such a really over-weighted cast of male ghosts.

• Like 15
  • Applause 1
(edited)

LOL. They told Carol about Flower getting sucked off and she, of course, misunderstood and was "good for her." The older ghosts think Carol is happy their friend went to heaven and are still innocent of the real meaning of the phrase. It's childish but I'm still not tired of that running joke.

Jay was uncharacteristically harsh but I just figure that money problems and losing a dream will make anybody lash out, especially when the money is right there. 

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 14

I thought it was odd that Nancy was licking Pete's ear, since Carol couldn't see what Nancy was doing. I guess she is a "method ghost"
(like a method actor).

Will Carol have an affair with Thor? Will Alberta fall in love with Pete?
(I hope not)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Jay was uncharacteristically harsh but I just figure that money problems and losing a dream will make anybody lash out, especially when the money is right there. 

I couldn't condemn Jay for his outburst because he has put up with so much and been mostly patient and understanding of sharing a home with a bunch of ghosts whom he can't see or hear. It's true that the advance was for Isaac's story, but Sam is the one writing the story, and it would not be told if Sam wasn't able to interact with Isaac and the other ghosts. So I get why Jay would be so frustrated that the money can't be used for a project that is important to both Jay and Sam, especially since Isaac can't use it in any way that Jay can appreciate (such as a wedding that presumably will only be attended by ghosts, and that Jay will probably be expected to do all the cooking for--cooking of food that will just get thrown out since the ghosts can't eat). 

• Like 19
  • Applause 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Paloma said:

I couldn't condemn Jay for his outburst because he has put up with so much and been mostly patient and understanding of sharing a home with a bunch of ghosts whom he can't see or hear. It's true that the advance was for Isaac's story, but Sam is the one writing the story, and it would not be told if Sam wasn't able to interact with Isaac and the other ghosts. So I get why Jay would be so frustrated that the money can't be used for a project that is important to both Jay and Sam, especially since Isaac can't use it in any way that Jay can appreciate (such as a wedding that presumably will only be attended by ghosts, and that Jay will probably be expected to do all the cooking for--cooking of food that will just get thrown out since the ghosts can't eat). 

Not only that.  The only reason they are building the restaurant is for Jay to be happy.  The whole idea of building the restaurant came up when Sam learned that Jay had interviewed for a job in the city because he was unhappy not being around people he can see and unfulfilled professionally.  The restaurant is Jay's, it's the only thing that is keeping him here, essentially.  And now Sam is throwing it in his face that he only cares about his restaurant and it would be nice if he also recognized that there are other people here who have things that are important to them?  Are you serious?

And the notion that they have to give in to Isaac's demands is dumb.  Again, the goal here is to build a successful restaurant that will allow Jay to be happy in these woods, which would allow Sam to keep her family and stay around the ghosts that she loves so much.  So, really, there is no difference between not getting Isaac's money and getting it but having to waste it on a restaurant that is not going to be successful.  They should be able to explain this Isaac, shouldn't they?

Edited by shura
  • Like 16
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1

My jaw dropped when Pete pulled the arrow out of his neck. I had no idea he could even do that. Neither did Alberta, apparently. Although you can see him doing the slo-mo head-shake with the arrow in his hand in the promo spot so that should have been a spoiler. I just never noticed, which is odd since CBS has run that promo spot into the ground.

Did Carol die with her purse over her shoulder? I didn't remember that. It's funny she's the only ghost that died with some stuff on her. At least she gets to eat hard candy. 

I'm sort of torn on where Jay stands. I can easily understand how frustrated he must have been having to haggle with a ghost for money the ghost can't even realistically spend. Then again Sam wouldn't even have that money if it weren't for Isaac so I can see his side of it too. 

My feed froze up for a solid minute or so at the end right as Jay was about the read Sam's manuscript. Anyone else?

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, shura said:

And the notion that they have to give in to Isaac's demands is dumb. 

In the context of the show, not really...  the ghosts have the ability to make their lives a literal living hell.  Thor could burn down the restaurant the minute it is complete.  Isaac could walk through every guest (or just Jay) to drive people away.  They really are at the mercy of the ghosts when it comes to building a successful hotel and restaurant business. 

I'm glad they mentioned the investor.  Did we already know they existed?  It just puts to rest the questions about how they are operating the manor and building a restaurant on no money. 

OK, back to the episode...  I liked it!  I loved the beginning conversation between Hetty and Pete about Carol's choking on a donut.  I'll admit, I wish the writers had her eating powdered donuts and there was eternal donut powder on her lips or blouse or whatever.  Though, that might drive Hetty over the edge...

The purse contents and candy lines were also great!  Really has me thinking about those ghost rules...  if they were able to suck on candy, would the candy ever actually diminish?  What if it were a pizza?  Could they bite it, or just lick it, or what? 

The dedicated table for the ghosts is nice and all, but I thought Jay was going to do something more outwardly meaningful.  Maybe not name the restaurant Higgentoot, but maybe name the bar after him or something of the sort.  Are they really going to leave an empty table in the middle of the room all the time?  I didn't quite get that.

Pete removing the arrow!  And the 80's movie music playing!  That was fabulous!  I do hope Alberta is now the one with the crush. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

Jay was out of line when he said that Isaac wasn't a real person, but I can understand him losing his cool. He puts up with a whole lot without much complaint beyond some snark, and this restaurant is his dream, I can totally understand him getting angry when it seemed like he was going to lose that dream due to ghost hijinks that he's always on the outside of on some level. Making the ghost table was a nice gesture, he can have his dream restaurant while also taking what Isaac wants into account, to an extent. Probably don't want to break any maritime laws for the sake of whale oil 

Isaac being a lawyer in life makes a lot of sense, no wonder he likes to argue semantic so much. I also really enjoyed Trevor getting all excited to take charge of Isaacs finance, he actually did do a pretty good job. I guess that's what an education at Wharton gets you. 

"We all know Trev!" 

I'm really glad that Pete called Carole out on her cheating, Alberta's right, that does make her the lame one. She's still trying to lie to him, even after death, that's not cool at all. Carole is funny in small doses, but I hope we exchange her for Flower soon, maybe after she finally apologizes to Pete for how she treated him. And now Alberta might be into Pete?!

"They are as dumb as Danes, but I love them." Awwww, both insulting and sweet.

• Like 12

Isn't the invested money now a lot more?  Surely Isaac can have his 20thou that he can't even spend, and maybe a bit more, and give the rest to Jay to make more meals that they all can smell.  Also, why didn't Trevor make money for Jay and Sam?  Although, if he offered, they'd probably decline. 

Lastly, I loved when Trevor said that Jay "understands a lot just from context."  So true and I like that it's acknowledged.

• Like 13
  • Love 1

This one was fun, especially Hetty and Sass trying to get the candy from Carol's purse. "What kind of candy?  Nose Candy?"  And because I was curious, they probably would not have been snorting cocaine in Hetty's day.  They did however put it in everything else, from wine and coca cigarettes to hair care, toothache drops to yes, actual candy.

Pete and Carol working through things was good to see.  Although when she first confessed to Sam and Jay about the affair she said, I think Pete may have known, which we can now see was just a way of making herself feel better.  And Alberta and Nancy stepping in to help Pete was fun and showed the friendship's he's built there in 40 years.

As for the main thrust of the episode, its one of those weird things of why they gave Isaac the money in the first place? I get that it is his book that he dictated to Sam, but still,and I thought being known to posterity was enough for him.  Even Sass pointed out their poor business sense: "You're the ones who gave $10,000 to a ghost."  I understand Jay's frustration.  He still has a life to live and its not like Isaac can spend the money without Sam's help (or Trevor's, it seems).  Still, his saying Isaac's not real was too far.

14 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Actually, he insisted on sawdust because Isaac wanted a high end restaurant. Same with the whale oil.

• Like 6

I loved this episode, and the season as a whole so far.  As soon as I clocked the purse, it was all I could think about.  So I was right there with Hetty and Sass.  I loved their drive by adventure where they pop in for a second to basically ask to suck Carol’s fingers.

It was nice that Trevor actually got to show that he was good at his job. Anybody know where he went to school?  I don’t think he ever said. (So clearly not Harvard). I hope Sam and Jay ask him to help with their finances.  So they can maybe not worry about money every few episodes.

I get where both Issac and Jay are coming from. And others have said my thoughts more elegantly, so i wont rehash that.  I liked that they gave Issac and the others their own table.  I think it is actually a good business decision.  It will help avoid accidental walk throughs, which could ruin things. (Or help when Flower comes back I guess)

• Like 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, chaifan said:

In the context of the show, not really...  the ghosts have the ability to make their lives a literal living hell.  Thor could burn down the restaurant the minute it is complete.  Isaac could walk through every guest (or just Jay) to drive people away.  They really are at the mercy of the ghosts when it comes to building a successful hotel and restaurant business.

In principle, yes.  In practice, the ghosts want Sam to stay.  If she is gone, they are back to watching ants and hearing about cod for the billionth time.  The reason Sam did not walk away and move back to the city was that she didn’t want to deal with all the numerous, unfamiliar ghosts there and preferred to stay with the ghosts she knows and likes.  Now, if these nice ghosts here start burning things and making it impossible for her and Jay to make a living or be happy, that equation changes.  Leaving all this behind will become the better option and she will bolt.

2 hours ago, Johannah said:

Also, why didn't Trevor make money for Jay and Sam?  Although, if he offered, they'd probably decline. 

That’s if they had any money to invest.  They are sinking all the money that comes their way into the B&B and the restaurant.  They are supposed to be struggling, I’m pretty sure, but it doesn’t come across that way.

2 hours ago, Lugal said:

I understand Jay's frustration.  He still has a life to live and its not like Isaac can spend the money without Sam's help (or Trevor's, it seems).  Still, his saying Isaac's not real was too far.

Well, to Jay Isaac is not real.  Outside of an occasional fart smell, Isaac is just someone his wife tells him about.  Not much more real than Harry Potter, really.

I guess Isaac can spend the money with Trevor’s help and purchase stuff, but what is he going to do when it gets delivered if Sam refuses to help?  He absolutely needs her to be able to do anything with his money.  On a related note, Sam and Jay really should make sure to secure their accounts.  Jay can never know if Trevor is not watching him when he is typing in a password, but at least close the laptop and put your phone face down.  Eric was smart enough to do that, but not these two geniuses.

Edited by shura
  • Like 10
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, phalange said:

Giving Isaac and the ghosts their own table at the restaurant was a sweet gesture and obviously meant a lot to them. 

Giving Isaac his own table at the restaurant is obviously (to me) a pun for giving Isaac "a seat at the table" since he was disrespected in his life (except by his devoted wife) — which demonstrates that Jay read enough of the manuscript of Isaac's life to understand the way to this ghost's heart (and purse strings) was through respect.

I wish I could hire Trevor to manage my finances. Those were some magically successful financial returns, weren't they??

• Like 12
5 hours ago, shura said:
6 hours ago, Paloma said:

Not only that.  The only reason they are building the restaurant is for Jay to be happy.  The whole idea of building the restaurant came up when Sam learned that Jay had interviewed for a job in the city because he was unhappy not being around people he can see and unfulfilled professionally.  The restaurant is Jay's, it's the only thing that is keeping him here, essentially.  And now Sam is throwing it in his face that he only cares about his restaurant and it would be nice if he also recognized that there are other people here who have things that are important to them?  Are you serious?

And the notion that they have to give in to Isaac's demands is dumb.  Again, the goal here is to build a successful restaurant that will allow Jay to be happy in these woods, which would allow Sam to keep her family and stay around the ghosts that she loves so much.  So, really, there is no difference between not getting Isaac's money and getting it but having to waste it on a restaurant that is not going to be successful.  They should be able to explain this Isaac, shouldn't they?

I agree 100 percent with all of this.  My sympathies were with Jay throughout this episode.  He's done so much for the ghosts and now Isaac can't loan him money (repeat, loan; he'll get it back) for something as important as this?  No wonder Jay was upset.  Especially since Jay's been baking all those wedding cake samples for Isaac's wedding.  Yes, it was uncharacteristically unkind of Jay to say that Isaac wasn't a real person, but that shows how justifiably angry and hurt he was (plus, in a sense, he's sort of correct).  And yet he ended up apologizing--which should have prompted a reciprocal apology from Isaac for his selfishness, but we're talking Isaac "it's-all-about-me" Higgentoot here--and I'm sure he'll continue to spend a lot more time and effort on a wedding he won't even be able to participate in except through Sam.  Jay is like Pete in this regard: he's so nice that others take advantage of him.

And Sam!  To gang up on him like that.  No support for, loyalty to, or understanding of her husband at all.  And I was scratching my head when she accused him of caring too much about the restaurant.  What in the actual hell are they doing up there if not trying to create a successful business?  There's nothing unreasonable in caring about that, especially when hitting a serious roadblock like lack of funds.  If she was going to chide Jay she should also have gone after Isaac and reminded him how much this project means to Jay and how Jay has never asked the ghosts for anything before.

She also unrealistically expects Jay to have the same depth of feeling for the ghosts as she does--but she can actually interact with them while he can't.  Even his affection for Pete has to consist of imagining what Pete is like based on the information Sam provides, so he's had no opportunity to develop attachments and affection based on truly knowing them.  In fact, given that he's never experienced much beyond a silent, empty room (except for an occasional manifestation of a ghost power), they're lucky he cares about them as much as he does.  If cracks ever appear in that marriage, it'll be because of Sam's misplaced priorities re the ghosts.  I'm beginning to think she doesn't deserve him.

Maybe I'm just being cranky, but the dynamics of this episode really ticked me off. Two other observations:  (1) I was surprised Nigel wasn't around to weigh in given his controversial involvement with Isaac's money.  He probably would have sided with his fiancé, but it would have been an interesting twist if he understood Jay's point of view and tried to convince Isaac not to be unreasonable.   (2) Jay and Sam must be dumb as rocks (or, I guess, as Danes)  to leave their laptop accessible for Trevor like that.  Have they never heard of biometrics?  I myself have a laptop and iPad that require my fingerprint and an iPhone that uses face recognition, and so far we've no evidence that any of the ghosts could get around such security methods, so what are they waiting for?

And, yes, Founding Farter was pretty funny (but you deserved it, Isaac!).

• Like 13
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, PaulE said:

Especially since Jay's been baking all those wedding cake samples for Isaac's wedding.

Who's paying for all the cake ingredients..?

• Like 8
  • Useful 2

Jay is very understanding of the ghosts but I'm glad he got mad and frustrated.  Imagine having your portion of the business go unfunded/bankrupt because your partner won't release money that belongs to a ghost.  A ghost who can never, ever spend it, like, ever. He has to draw the line somewhere.

]

• Like 12
  • Applause 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

It was nice that Trevor actually got to show that he was good at his job.

Oh, I don't know. At one point Jay was seriously under water and could have ended up owing money. The brokerage account was highly volatile. But I got a big kick out of Alberta establishing how Trevor always talks about Wharton, then when he comes in and tells them about the brokerage account and mentions Wharton we get a quick drive-by of Alberta walking past the doorway going "We know Trevor!" 

I went back and looked and, sure enough, Carol had her purse over her shoulder when she died. I wonder if her phone is in there and whether or not she could call people with it. That would be a cool thing to explore.

I'm constantly surprised by what they get away with in terms of risqué content. Thor saying Flower getting sucked off was very painful for him, and Carol replying "Jerry always used a pillow."

Also: Isaac telling Jay and Sam that Trevor advised him to invest in a Lamborghini because it's apparently a real "cat magnet." Um . . . I'm sure that's not quite what he said, Isaac!

Is that really why there was sawdust down on old saloon floors? Ew.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 12
14 hours ago, Skooma said:

But then we wouldn't have a full half hour episode to watch.

True and it wouldn't have bothered me as much except that Sam look terrified (for lack of a better word) when Isaac walked in because Jay wouldn't know he was there.  And insted of saying "we wouldn't be stealing the money" she should have said "we wouldn't be stealing your money." Easily solved if her back had been to him.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Is that really why there was sawdust down on old saloon floors

Easier sweep up of any spilled fluids, and to help prevent them from seeping permanently into the wooden floors. They’re choosing to focus upon the most pungent (although, stale beer is pretty rank).

• Like 7
(edited)
10 hours ago, appositival said:

Will Alberta fall in love with Pete?
(I hope not)

I think that would be one ghost pairing too many for me (I'm already bored beyond measure by Thor and Flower), so hopefully that was just a moment where he briefly looked sexy to her before the arrow snapped back.

21 hours ago, phalange said:

And I don’t think we’ve seen Pete remove the arrow before. In a previous episode he was having trouble sleeping. I wonder if he could keep the arrow out while he sleeps as long as he doesn’t set it down.

Presumably no, because he didn't set it down here yet it still flew back into his neck, against his will, after a very short time.  So even when he holds onto it, it doesn't stay out of place for more than a few seconds (which seemed longer, because Alberta was imagining it in slow motion, like an '80s movie [as an aside, I wish they'd licensed a different song for that, since they already much better used "If You Were Here" for Stephanie and Cholera Ghost when they replicated the Sixteen Candles kiss it's known for]).

I liked Pete and Carol's part of the episode, especially Hetty and Pete's opening conversation, going from "Even in these difficult times, we must be precise" about who, exactly, cuckolded him to all the giggling about deadly donut holes.  And the various suggestions for how they can suck Carol's butterscotch candy.

But I was Team Jay and think he was far more gracious to Isaac than Isaac deserved (and a perpetually empty table front and center is every bit as stupid a business decision as Hetty snarked).  I know the entire premise of this show is something that doesn't exist, so why I get irritated when people who aren't actually people act stupidly and/or selfishly is beyond me, but this money thing is just so frakkin' dumb to me -- it's Sam's money (which she has chosen to share with Jay), Isaac cannot actually spend it, so if she decides to use it on the restaurant, that's fine and Isaac needs to shut the hell up about it.  Especially since she was going to later go back to using it for something he wanted, even when it was "just" $10k; when Trevor invested it and they made a ton (I hope they realize they have to pay short term gains tax on that), no doubt she was going to immediately put that $10k back to something set aside for his whims.  Making this jackass a partner so he'll "let" them have the money?  I know, I know -- it's for wacky sitcom hijinx, but sometimes I wish Sam and Jay would just tell the ghosts to get stuffed rather than catering to them and this is one of those times.

I took an ill-timed drink of water when Jay busted out with "Founding Farter" and Sas suggested that be the book title, but choking was worth it as that part of the Isaac story was hilarious.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

it's Sam's money (which she has chosen to share with Jay)

That's always bothered me a little.  I've never really thought that it was "only fair" to split the money with Isaac.  After all, when a historian writes a biography of a famous deceased person, they don't share the royalties with the person's survivors, even if those people provided important information that was included in the book.  Isaac might have given Sam much of the material for her book, but she's the one who had to take all these facts, interpret them, synthesize them and place them in context, provide background information, and write a narrative that connected all these discrete facts into a coherent and comprehensible whole.  That's what a biographer does.  She's the one that did the work, not Isaac.  She shared the proceeds out of the goodness of her heart.

• Like 14
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 10:04 AM, iMonrey said:

It's funny she's the only ghost that died with some stuff on her.

Thor has his shield, but that's probably not what you mean.

If Trevor had been wearing pants, he might have had stuff in his pockets. I guess there was nothing in his jacket pocket or in Pete's shorts.  Just imagine if Flower had been wearing jeans and had a joint and a way to light it on her! 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Like 3

Yeah, I'm with Jay. And I have said since last season that Sam doesn't deserve him. She has relationships with 7 ancient demanding toddlers that Jay can't see. She's been known to lie to him and use the ghosts for her own selfish needs. It's always assumed that Jay is supposed to go along with their shenanigans, all while they spy on him, invade his dreams, and try to fuck his sister. I love the ghosts but Jay is the hero of this entire adventure, all day every day. 

I loved Pete and Hetty being Team Petty! 

And later when Hetty teamed up with Sass to find out what's in Carole's purse. I like seeing the ghosts in pairings we don't get as often. And Thor, reminding Pete about Alberta giving him the hand lol. Lots of really funny lines. And, if the restaurant is gonna be a new filming location, it makes sense to give the ghosts a table so they can sit and watch and make fun of the patrons instead of just having them stand around. 

Carole and her lying ass can get sucked up or down any time but I'm assuming it's gonna hinge on whether or not she truly owns up to her lies. It might be interesting if she stood on business and refused and then got snatched to Hell like Hetty's husband lol. 

I wonder if we will see Pete's daughter soon, and how she will react to her mom choking on a donut hole. 

• Like 11
  • Useful 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, PaulE said:

Isaac might have given Sam much of the material for her book, but she's the one who had to take all these facts, interpret them, synthesize them and place them in context, provide background information, and write a narrative that connected all these discrete facts into a coherent and comprehensible whole.

Not to mention fact-checking what he told her, since Isaac is a legend in his own mind with a long history of embellishing or outright misrepresenting his role in historical events.

Sure, Isaac's stories are why she has this book deal -- well, really, the reason she has the deal is because, after every publishing house she submitted it to rejected it (because no one cares about Isaac's extremely limited role in American history), her social media shenanigans made one of them think another publisher wanted it, so changed their mind -- but if it had stayed rejected she could have gone on to pitch any number of other things, one of which might have resulted in her getting a different book deal, or at least some articles published; she can write about things other than Isaac.  Isaac, however, can only get written about if Sam does it. 

The only way in which she benefits more than him right now is financially, and he can't benefit financially since he's, you know, dead, so for her to agree she'll set a share of the advance aside to spend as he'd like it spent was generous, but it remains her money, not his, so she's well within her rights to tell him sorry, but they need $10k to tide them over until they find another investor for the restaurant, so she's using it for that right now and he's just going to have to wait.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 2
37 minutes ago, PaulE said:

She's the one that did the work, not Isaac.  She shared the proceeds out of the goodness of her heart.

And she only decided to do that after Sasappis pointed out in last season's finale that a candle seemed kind of a cheap gift for Isaac given the book was about him and all. And then this whole feud between Isaac, Sam, and Jay this episode started after Sasappis reminded Sam that Isaac had all that money. If he hadn't said anything in either scenario, things might've played out very differently :p. 

In fact, it often seems like Isaac tends to forget he has the money at all until something comes up that would involve it in some way and/or someone reminds him that he has it. Which ties into the idea that the money wasn't so much the issue for Isaac here as it was wanting to have his input matter, along with the other things discussed in this thread.

That said, I too also very much sympathized with Jay. He really has been remarkalbly patient with everything, and this restaurant was supposed to be his way of feeling connected to this area and letting his dream career take off, and maybe getting to meet some other living people that he can be friends with as well. So I can absolutely see where he's starting to hit his limit with the ghosts' antics now. Add in the general stress of trying to build a restaurant in general alongside trying to keep their B&B going and yeah, no wonder he snapped at Isaac as he did. Honestly, I rather liked seeing this unexpected tension between Jay and Isaac - we've seen Isaac and Sam at odds before, but he and Jay have always been fairly chill with each other, and Isaac even had a crush on him early on (maybe still does, a bit, to seome degree :D). So to see them butting heads here was really interesting. 

3 hours ago, PaulE said:

(1) I was surprised Nigel wasn't around to weigh in given his controversial involvement with Isaac's money.  He probably would have sided with his fiancé, but it would have been an interesting twist if he understood Jay's point of view and tried to convince Isaac not to be unreasonable.   (2) Jay and Sam must be dumb as rocks (or, I guess, as Danes)  to leave their laptop accessible for Trevor like that.  

Especially given the chaos Trevor's caused with their devices in the past :p. 

I like your idea of Nigel possibly taking Jay's side and trying to help Isaac look at the situation from his angle. That would've been cool to see, both because it'd be interesting to see them debating this topic and also because I like the idea of Nigel taking Jay's side on something. We haven't seen him interact much with Sam and Jay (well, interact as much as he can with Jay, at least :p), so it'd be nice to see him be more involved in a plot with them at some point. 

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I took an ill-timed drink of water when Jay busted out with "Founding Farter" and Sas suggested that be the book title, but choking was worth it as that part of the Isaac story was hilarious.

I also laughed when Jay called Isaac, "Sergeant Fartypants" and Isaac was like, "I was a captain, it's Captain Fartypants!" :p. 

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Also: Isaac telling Jay and Sam that Trevor advised him to invest in a Lamborghini because it's apparently a real "cat magnet." Um . . . I'm sure that's not quite what he said, Isaac!

That was amazing XD. 

• Like 8

I rewatched the show.  Just as great the second time around!!  There was a moment when Sam & Jay were talking about all of the things they could afford for the restaurant after the investment paid off, and Jay said he wanted tufted fabric for the chairs.  Isaac gets mad and sternly says something along the lines of 'no tufts for you!'  Reminded me of Seinfeld's Soup Nazi!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3