Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: The Silent Partner

• Start Topic

On 4/1/2024 at 8:16 PM, kathyk2 said:

Jay needs to be more assertive instead of holding everything in and then losing his temper

And that's kind of what he was doing in this episode. Whether he was in the right or wrong, it's only a matter of time before he's going to put his foot down and remind Sam that they come first, not the ghosts. They already do a lot for the ghosts, obviously more than any other occupant of the house ever has, but at some point they have to draw the line, especially when it comes to money they need and which the ghosts can't actually spend.

• Like 6

And this blowup was the result of a bunch of things happening in really quick succession, too, so Jay didn't have as much time to really process everything before reacting. If these events had all been spread out over time, it might've been easier to keep a cooler head while dealing with everything, but I think Carol dying on the property and the investor backing out was kind of the real instigator, and then the issues with Isaac and the money were just the straw that broke the camel's back. 

• Like 5

Sam and Jay can't talk about the ghosts while they are in the same room. Sam learned in Dinner Party that it's a bad idea to question the ghosts humanity as Jay  found out. She knows that they could make her life miserable while  Jay can ignore them. 

20 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Ah, but can Jay really ignore the ghosts?

Thor can at least affect the electricity.  Maybe he could also affect the stove, and ruin whatever Jay tries to cook.

• Like 2
On 3/31/2024 at 1:18 PM, North of Eden said:

Just like them he was being a total  %$%^hole when it came to the ghosts and was even tossing insulting names at Issac. He was being a total stick in the mud like Darren and Tony and was so out of character that it ruined an episode of the best sitcom currently on air.

Since many of us have sided with Jay in this issue, it's interesting to have another point of view and I can understand where you're coming from, though I still can't agree.  For me, Jay was more sinned against than sinning.  And his uncharacteristic loss of temper and unkindness wasn't, I think, so much about his being angry (and fearful that his restaurant ambitions were about to go up in smoke) as it was about being deeply, deeply hurt (I certainly would have been in his shoes).  The ghosts know how badly he wants to interact with them, and even though he can't, he's still befriended them as best he can.  Jay has previously expressed how left out he sometimes feels (no one's fault; that's just how things are), and for Isaac to refuse to help him probably made him feel that, despite all his efforts, he's still a second-class citizen with the ghosts.  And I think the refusal was particularly painful exactly because it was Isaac.  After all, Jay's been doing his best to help prepare for Isaac's wedding, including sacrificing his time and, yes, his money to bake all those demo cakes (I doubt he expects Isaac to reimburse him for the ingredients), and I'm sure he'll do other things as well.  And then to have Isaac turn him down like that, when he must have seen how urgent and crucial an issue this was for Jay . . . well, as I've said, that would have hurt me to my core.  And also, there's the implication that Jay is dishonest and wouldn't repay Isaac as he promised.  No, it's Isaac who dropped the ball on this one.

Even so, Jay made amends, and I've said before that I'd have wanted Isaac to realize how much he'd hurt him and offer his own apology.  It would have shown a certain amount of character growth in Isaac, who at times really needs it, and, as often happens in real life, they could have ended up firmer friends after a misunderstanding in which both sides acknowledge the other's point of view and apologize.  For that matter, all the ghosts need to love Jay a little more (except for Pete, who already does).

• Like 10
On 3/15/2024 at 10:04 AM, iMonrey said:

My jaw dropped when Pete pulled the arrow out of his neck. I had no idea he could even do that. Neither did Alberta, apparently. Although you can see him doing the slo-mo head-shake with the arrow in his hand in the promo spot so that should have been a spoiler. I just never noticed, which is odd since CBS has run that promo spot into the ground.

Did Carol die with her purse over her shoulder? I didn't remember that. It's funny she's the only ghost that died with some stuff on her. At least she gets to eat hard candy. 

I'm sort of torn on where Jay stands. I can easily understand how frustrated he must have been having to haggle with a ghost for money the ghost can't even realistically spend. Then again Sam wouldn't even have that money if it weren't for Isaac so I can see his side of it too. 

My feed froze up for a solid minute or so at the end right as Jay was about the read Sam's manuscript. Anyone else?

Well, if you have Spectrum cloud DVR welcome to the club of hell. It’s recording capabilities have been s***  from the beginning, but now they are twice as bad.