Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09: Patisserie Week

• Start Topic

It's the semi-final and the bakers make elegant, buttery patisserie and a puff pastry layered cake. Who will achieve complete and butter perfection to make it to the final?

UK Original Air Date: November 21, 2023.

US Netflix Date: November 24, 2023.

I liked this week. I usually don't like Patisserie week but this one was good. Dan again was very encouraging and helpful so I don't get the smug comments. I'm fine with the final three but Josh has quietly turned into my favourite.

• Like 21
  • Love 2

Poor Tasha, it always sucks to be out this late in the competition.  I am thrilled that Matty made it into the finale.  My (non-existing) money is on Josh to win this if he can keep it together, barring unexpected calamity. He has had beautiful show-stoppers for weeks in a row now.

• Like 20
  • Love 1

I was going to cry no matter who left, but awww, Tash. Matty signing “thank you” to her after the signature was so sweet.

Those apple tarts looked delicious, and now I want one. I was especially impressed that they had to cut all those slices by hand; I would have been reaching for my mandolin!

I love the way Josh honors his Nan. 

Dan has consistently been supportive of the other bakers and I appreciate that about him. 

Noel and Matty plotting their sabotage made me laugh.

I really can’t call next week. It’s going to be a proper nail-biter!

• Like 21
  • Love 1

Tash did not have the best day, poor thing. Her red eyes during technical judging made me want to hug her, but goodness, those apple slices on top of her tart were so big I could have plucked one off and made a snack of it. 😊

I do think it's the right final three, but am hoping the others are pipped at the post* by Josh.

*Slang I've heard on UK shows. May not be used correctly. Void in USA. No refunds. 😁  

• Like 8
  • LOL 7
56 minutes ago, J-Man said:

There was no opening skit on this week's episode. Was that due to Allison's absence? I noticed she did a lot of the voiceovers, but presumably those are added in afterwards.

Yeah at first I thought I must have accidentally hit the skip button. 

I think it was more or less a coin toss between Tasha or Matty going home. I don't think either are quite on the same level as Josh or Dan. I think they were about dead even on both the signature and the show stopper so it might have actually come down to the technical for once. Selfishly I'm glad Matty will be in the final, he's the most entertaining one left.

I loved when Noel asked what his gut instinct was telling him and Matty said "copy what the others are doing." I think that's probably right, he seems to be learning a lot by watching the others. Noel also asked him at one point when he would take his bake out of the oven and he said "when Josh takes his out."

Have we ever had an all-male final three before? I can't remember.

I think Josh has a lock on this unless he has some unexpected disaster.

• Like 11

I've really enjoyed this season of the show, all of the contestants were appealing and I enjoyed watching them in the tent. 

I agree that I think the right three are in the final, but very sad to see Tasha go. 

And, um, I didn't really miss Alison in the tent this week.  

• Like 7

I felt bad for Tasha, but she was the most likely one to go as she struggled the most.

I'm rooting for Matty. I always like a good underdog story. And I never thought he'd get this far, but has improving each week.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I do think it's the right final three, but am hoping the others are pipped at the post* by Josh.

Come on, what does that mean?

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I loved when Noel asked what his gut instinct was telling him and Matty said "copy what the others are doing." 

Matty is so much fun, so funny. When Noel suggested they sabotage the other bakers and asked about Tasha, it was great when Matty said to mess with her oven AND fridge.

I'd like to know why Tasha decided to do that reverse puff pastry. It turned out good, but seems like a bizarre way to make pastry. I don't see the advantage.

I can't tell you how happy I was to see Paul LOVE Dan's matcha and all of his financiers. Dan was rightly chuffed. (Love that word.)

Of course I'm sorry to see Tasha go because she's a good baker and a good person AND a fun person to watch, but I'm happy with the final three. Matty being there is such a surprise since I wasn't so impressed with him at the very beginning of the season. It looks he's probably rather surprised as well. And Dan can be excellent. Josh looks like the one to beat, but you never know.

• Like 14
  • Wink 1
  • Love 1

Finally, a fun technical! Matty saying he'd take his out when Josh did was the best part. He's really funny.

I happen to like Dan. He's pretty even keeled and seems to accept the ups and downs about the same. Don't see any arrogance. I'd be like alrighty mate too if they told me I got something wrong. Some of us just don't see the need to get all upset about it, doesn't mean you don't care or are arrogant. He does handle Noel better than I would though probably. 

I'm still slightly rooting for Josh just a bit more. His showstoppers have mostly been just that, and I like the quiet ones.

Sorry we had to lose Tash though, what a sweetheart. 

• Like 20

Poor Tash, she did very well throughout but this last challenge did her in. I’m thrilled for the F3. I’ve liked all the bakers this season, I didn’t get the negativity about Dan, he was always upbeat and helpful  to his fellow contestants. I’m rooting for Josh but will be happy if Matty or Dan win.

• Like 11
1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Dan helped Tasha with her showstopper. I've never understood the negativity towards him. 

I'm fine with any of the final 3 winning, head says Josh will win. 

He's helped other bakers on past episodes as well.

My favorite line of his this week:  "It was great to get the handshake from Paul, but I'd kind of like a fist bump from Prue."  I'm with you - I don't get the negativity comments either.

• Like 20
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Have we ever had an all-male final three before? I can't remember.

In Season 3 (which had a delayed first airing on PBS, after several subsequent seasons), the finalists were all male.

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'd like to know why Tasha decided to do that reverse puff pastry. It turned out good, but seems like a bizarre way to make pastry. I don't see the advantage.

I can't tell you how happy I was to see Paul LOVE Dan's matcha and all of his financiers. Dan was rightly chuffed. (Love that word.)

The reverse puff pastry has come up on a previous season, I wish I could remember which and who did it (it's not that easy to research, years later). Paul professed to be unfamiliar with the technique then, but afterwards said he wasn't convinced and he didn't find that it added anything. This time it unexpectedly didn't doom Tasha (despite the undetectability of layers in the raw dough, it did laminate in the oven as Noel supportively predicted), but it didn't seem to justify the extra time and trouble either.

Paul liking the matcha after all shows that (despite the kerfuffle about sausage rolls last week) he doesn't automatically downgrade bakes that use flavors he doesn't favor -- it's all in whether the baker makes them convincing in the result. 

I noticed that repeatedly Dan was the one to call out to the tent at large, and maybe that puts some viewers off? But it was never self-aggrandizing, it was just to offer a supportive word before they start a challenge, or to ask if anyone needed a hand as a challenge finished. It's not perhaps the stereotypical British reserve (unassuming, self-deprecating), but I see nothing arrogant in it. He was nothing but encouraging and complimentary (and helpful, when asked) to others.

• Like 17
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Come on, what does that mean?

“Pipped at the post” is from UK horse racing, being caught at the end of the race and losing by a small margin. See Rich Strike winning the Derby. Start at 2:00:

Rich Strike stunner

I still call Josh Marty Matty and vice versa! I don’t know why.

Was I the only one hoping the signer* would finally get to make a comment? At least he got to hug everyone. 

Do like this final three and I am so happy with Alison over Matt Lucas. Thanks for confirming there was no opening skit!

edit - *I am not sure of the correct term

edit again - damn autocorrect!

Edited by ML89
  • Like 6
9 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

From watching British reality competition shows I've learned "chuffed" and "gutted". 

"Bang on" is another good one, but it's a bit confusing because it can mean "Spot on" or to go on and on about something:

"The flavours were bang on."  Or,

"He kept bangin' on about how they was robbed at the last minute wiv that penalty kick, innit."

Or (in Noel's voice), "Paul Hollywood does bang on about underproving, doesn't he?"

Ooo, also, "Poorly", as in "Unfortunately Alison's a little bit poorly today".  Somehow it just sounds less nasty than "sick".

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 4
6 hours ago, ML89 said:

I still call Josh Marty and vice versa! I don’t know why.

I would imagine Matty might be a bit confused if you called him either Josh and Marty, but never Matty.  😉

Edited by Ancaster
  • LOL 2

Noooo!  And on her birthday?  That makes it even sadder.  (Not that it didn't seem like the right decision, but what a bummer.)

I don't remember the final four ever being so gutted for each other before.  And I was certainly teary eyed to see Tasha so sad.  What a lovely group this has been.  Between GBBO and this year's Amazing Race I'm getting my faith back that there can be decent reality shows that aren't weighed down by mean-spirited, ugly in character, narcissistic, fame whores.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 15
  • Love 3

Dan’s millefoglie was tiramisu-inspired, with layers of coffee, chocolate and an amaretto mousse, in the shape of an electric guitar in honour of the Sam Fender concert he missed competing in Bake Off.

4 minutes ago, festivus said:

Did anyone catch the band/artist they were for?

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I did think it was funny that Dan bought concert tickets because he didn't think he'd still be there. Did anyone catch the band/artist they were for?

I just remember it was a band I never heard off. So I assumed they were British.

Edit: nevermind dleighg said above. And never heard of him as he is current, now if he was from the 80's I probably would have as my husband is really into bands like Depeshe Mode.

Edited by blueray
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, ML89 said:

“Pipped at the post” is from UK horse racing, being caught at the end of the race and losing by a small margin.

Thank you. I'm surprised I've never heard that before. I love English expressions. Besides GBBO, I watch lots of British programs and try to absorb their idioms.

I still call Josh Marty Matty and vice versa! I don’t know why.

I couldn't keep them straight at the beginning, and you can also add in Rowan (whose name I needed to look up a second ago). 

6 hours ago, Ancaster said:

"Bang on" is another good one, but it's a bit confusing because it can mean "Spot on" or to go on and on about something:

"The flavours were bang on."  Or,

"He kept bangin' on about how they was robbed at the last minute wiv that penalty kick, innit."

Or (in Noel's voice), "Paul Hollywood does bang on about underproving, doesn't he?"

Ooo, also, "Poorly", as in "Unfortunately Alison's a little bit poorly today".  Somehow it just sounds less nasty than "sick".

Love all of those. Also people saying, "What a flash car," whereas we might say flashy. And I adore when people say cheers or ta for thank you.

Mind how you go. You all right? (as a greeting)

4 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Noooo!  And on her birthday?  That makes it even sadder.  

I was surprised we didn't hear anyone wish her a happy birthday. They might have, but it didn't air.

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who was Made in Britain, but did anyone else think O Level when Noel talked about GCSEs?  (Standardised school exams that for some bureaucratic reason had their name changed in the mid 80s.)

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I'm going Josh for the win, but he is rather quiet isn't he? Matty is really the personality and I'm very happy to see him in the final three. 

I would be happy with any of them winning. 

Yes, if Josh gets his flavours right I think it's his for the taking.  He's certainly the most technically knowledgeable one left, which is why I'm surprised he didn't get the bain marie/steamed pudding technical right.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I like that one too, but it's not exclusively British in my experience. I've heard it said in the US, though not for a while now and not often. It's possibly considered a bit old-fashioned here.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Is Dan the one who won star Baker a few times towards the beginning? I think it was him? And when Josh or Matty won it after him he made some comment about them nipping at his heels? I think? I never pay too close attention but I think that's the comment that didn't sit well with people and colored how they felt about him the rest of the season. 

I was sad to see Tasha go, she was a delight. Also, does Paul Hollywood know sign language? I could never tell if he was trying to use sign language with Tash or if he just uses his hands a lot when he speaks and it just seemed like a lot because I was looking at Tasha and interpreters hands.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, hiisa said:

Is Dan the one who won star Baker a few times towards the beginning? I think it was him? And when Josh or Matty won it after him he made some comment about them nipping at his heels? I think? I never pay too close attention but I think that's the comment that didn't sit well with people and colored how they felt about him the rest of the season. 

What Dan said when Josh won was, "Well done, you have been knocking on the door."  There was nothing in that which indicated that he felt he was above any/everyone else.  IMO, he was sincerely congratulating Josh for his having been judged Star Baker on that episode.

My husband and I chatted about why so many people seem to have a negative view of Dan.  We both think that Dan must remind people of someone they don't like.  We see self-deprecating humor, like when his wife wasn't home when he called to say he won Star Baker recently, he said "She must not have expected me to win this week."  And then he laughed.  And he has acknowledged on his less-successful weeks that he "might be going home."

• Like 14
19 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who was Made in Britain, but did anyone else think O Level when Noel talked about GCSEs?  (Standardised school exams that for some bureaucratic reason had their name changed in the mid 80s.)

I don't pay enough attention to notice it but I didn't know that it had changed from O Levels, I don't have any kids so no need to know either. What about A Levels, did they change as well ? 

Edited by Shrek
9 hours ago, hiisa said:

That was one of the things, yes. And also his self-satisfied constant shit-eating grin. I tend to not like arrogance.   But most importantly to me it was the preferential treatment he received twice from the judges when two female bakers went home over him even though their bakes were better than his those particular episodes. I don't go for that.  Yes, he had won more star baker than them but it is supposed to be how one does in a particular episode. Because of that it rubs me the wrong way that he is now in the finale.

I love that both Josh and Matty are in the finale. Josh is very quiet and unassuming and clearly a very gifted baker. Matty started out kind of middle of the road but his whole demeanor and even keel attitude and his whole personality along with him constantly learning and improving makes it easy for me to root for him.

• Like 1

I've been only half-watching from behind a computer screen this entire season, so I don't have a deep critique on any particular episode, but we are coming to the end , so here are some of my stupid thoughts:

• I've been rooting for Matty since episode one. I know he has no chance of winning, but I'm glad he made it as far as he did. 
  • Josh has weirded me out since episode one, but I've kept that to myself. There's something about him that gives off Proud Boy energy that doesn't sit right with me. 
  • Dan is playing up his nice guyness, which I have no problem with, because that's just good manners. His desire to win seeps through, but it is a competition, so what can I say.
  • My only problem with Tasha is the jarring camera cuts to the interpreter. It's like bam, hands flying at me from the tv. Other than that, she seems nice enough and should be proud of her effort. 

Edited by gorgy
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

My husband and I chatted about why so many people seem to have a negative view of Dan.  We both think that Dan must remind people of someone they don't like.

Yeah, some of it might be that. Some of it might be that he's got a big personality which can read as "always on" or "mugging." Personally I think he's just super jazzed to be there and enjoying the hell out of the whole experience. I don't know why he should be expected to tone it down, he's having fun and he's super nice, encouraging and helpful to everyone. What an asshole, huh?

53 minutes ago, magdalene said:

That was one of the things, yes. And also his self-satisfied constant shit-eating grin. I tend to not like arrogance.   

So just by smiling he's accused of having an arrogant shit-eating grin? Wow. I guess some people are just determined to dislike him no matter what he does. At this point he could be helping a little old lady across the street and some people would still go "that bastard."

• Like 15
  • Applause 9
2 hours ago, Shrek said:

I don't pay enough attention to notice it but I didn't know that it had changed from O Levels, I don't have any kids so no need to know either. What about A Levels, did they change as well ? 

Dunno.  There's no "shrug" response!  Probably, knowing how our various bureaucracies like to our spend time and money.  I doubt many people who lived through these particular changes even paid attention to the fact that O and A stood for ordinary and advanced, and had to be changed so as not to hurt any delicate little flowers' feelings.  While I applaud the push to increase trades-based education (to keep this sort of on topic), and I'm sure several bakers/cooks on these shows have gone through relevant secondary education, the powers that be are kidding themselves if they think kids don't know where they still stand in the hierarchy, even today.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, magdalene said:

That was one of the things, yes. And also his self-satisfied constant shit-eating grin. I tend to not like arrogance.   But most importantly to me it was the preferential treatment he received twice from the judges when two female bakers went home over him even though their bakes were better than his those particular episodes. I don't go for that.  Yes, he had won more star baker than them but it is supposed to be how one does in a particular episode. Because of that it rubs me the wrong way that he is now in the finale.

I love that both Josh and Matty are in the finale. Josh is very quiet and unassuming and clearly a very gifted baker. Matty started out kind of middle of the road but his whole demeanor and even keel attitude and his whole personality along with him constantly learning and improving makes it easy for me to root for him.

I think this is his natural expression under the circumstances, like resting bitch face or a nervous grin.

As to the second bolded point, this is your opinion and the judges' (who actually eat the damn stuff) - nothing to do with Dan.

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 12
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, magdalene said:

I don't agree with you about his grin, I think he's just happy he's still in the competition. He's been shown to be helpful to the other contestants, and he seems like a pretty good sport, in my opinion.  

Your comment about a "shit-eating grin" sort of resonated with me because I smile a lot and have had some people tell me to wipe that "grin" off of my face, thinking I was being inappropriate somehow.  Nothing could be further from the truth, and yet, when it happens, I wonder what on earth has happened to that person that they think so poorly of me based on my smile.

As far as the judges favoring one sex over the other, I've never seen that to be true. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Like 8
  • Applause 2
22 hours ago, AZChristian said:

What Dan said when Josh won was, "Well done, you have been knocking on the door."  There was nothing in that which indicated that he felt he was above any/everyone else.  IMO, he was sincerely congratulating Josh for his having been judged Star Baker on that episode.

My husband and I chatted about why so many people seem to have a negative view of Dan.  We both think that Dan must remind people of someone they don't like.  We see self-deprecating humor, like when his wife wasn't home when he called to say he won Star Baker recently, he said "She must not have expected me to win this week."  And then he laughed.  And he has acknowledged on his less-successful weeks that he "might be going home."

I do think there was an additional comment that was more like "nipping at my heels" because I'm sure I'm remembering twice when he said something that just rubbed me the wrong way when someone else won Star Baker.  It definitely made an impact on me because he was one of my favorites at the beginning. It's not that he reminds me of someone. However, that said, I do not think that Dan is a jerk, and I think he just has a very broad smile, - NOT a ****-eating grin.  I agree that *all* the bakers, including him, have been super supportive of each other. I think last season's bakers are still my favorites, but I really do love this season's as well. 

I've liked Matty since the first episode, and really didn't expect him to go this far, so I'm thrilled he has, but I also think this is Josh's to lose. In the first few episodes, maybe because there are still so many and he's so quiet, they didn't focus on him very much, but overall he's been the most consistent, and he really does meticulous work. I like him a lot. 

• Like 3

One glaring difference (that I LOVE) between American and British shows is the treatment of Tasha. Never once has Tasha had to say "I just want to prove that Deaf people can do the same things Hearing people can." Every talking head she's had has been focused on the bake and how she feels about how she's doing. 

• Like 22
  • Applause 1

My southern grandmother always said so and so was doing poorly...LOL.  Another British expression I've always liked is that they go to the loo instead of the bathroom.

At some point earlier in the season I thought Josh mentioned that his partner was male - pretty sure that would not make him a candidate for the Proud Boys (I could be wrong about his sexual preference and quite honestly I don't care one way or the other because it has nothing to do with his performance on the show but just probably not a racist Nazi type of personality - aside from his love of a violent sport he seems to be a perfect gentleman).

2 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

One glaring difference (that I LOVE) between American and British shows is the treatment of Tasha. Never once has Tasha had to say "I just want to prove that Deaf people can do the same things Hearing people can." Every talking head she's had has been focused on the bake and how she feels about how she's doing. 

That's one thing I like about Bake-Off is that they have had contestants on with disabilities (Briony comes to mind - she was one of my favorites) and there isn't a big deal made about it.  Tasha's disability had to be mentioned because she had the interpreter with her but Briony never was given any special consideration nor did she make a big deal about it, and neither was Tasha's disability - it was mentioned at the onset of the program but has never been mentioned again.

• Like 11
On 11/25/2023 at 7:55 PM, Ancaster said:

A bit off topic but I don't suppose anyone will mind, I'm currently watching a different British cooking show with a blind contestant, and it's very interesting to see the accommodations being made, or not.

Was that Celebrity Masterchef, with Amar Latif (the contestant who was blind)?  I just watched a Christmas Masterchef special with him in it, and I'm staggered still by how well he is able to cook and present food.

• Like 1

Re: Dan. Though I don't remember which weeks, I remember a few times where it did seem like he probably should've gone or been in the bottom two, but Paul seemed to want to keep him. Paul has his favorites every year; this year, it's Dan. I think Josh is the best, most consistent of the bakers left, and he's the one I'm rooting for. That said, Dan seems to be cheering for everyone else, and his helping Tasha at the end of the show-stopper was heart-warming.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, CatLover74 said:

Was that Celebrity Masterchef, with Amar Latif (the contestant who was blind)?  I just watched a Christmas Masterchef special with him in it, and I'm staggered still by how well he is able to cook and present food.

Yes it was.

"Staggered", another word that should be heard more often.  God, I miss seeing/hearing/reading a rich vocabulary.  Why is English becoming so dumbed down and boring?  Just today I was thinking about a trivia quiz I'm making up to play with close, long-term friends, and one of my potential rounds will be something along the lines of "Pretentious yet fabulous words that only Ancaster uses".

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 2
  • Love 1