Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E09: Patisserie Week

• Start Topic

When Dan was in the bottom 3 with Abbi and Rowan I was a little surprised he didn't go home, but all 3 of them were pretty bad (I still think Rowan should have been the one to go and in fact he did go home the next week).  I know he's been in the bottom 3 another time but I kind of remember the other baker as being equally bad or worse.  

On 11/25/2023 at 4:03 PM, peeayebee said:

I love English expressions. Besides GBBO, I watch lots of British programs and try to absorb their idioms.

Love all of those. Also people saying, "What a flash car," whereas we might say flashy. And I adore when people say cheers or ta for thank you.

Mind how you go. You all right? (as a greeting)

^waves hello^ 

It makes me chuckle when I read/hear this sort of thing. We often don't realise what's uniquely idiosyncratic to us and so it's interesting to be made aware whenever it comes up.

Ta muchly (aka thanks a lot) is one I use fairly often and may be something you haven't heard before.

"You alright?" or often just "Alright?" derived from "How do you do?" which became more commonly, "[Hello,] how are you?" as a polite greeting, from which evolved the slang "You alright/Alright?". Probably equivalent to the US "How you doing?".

Hmm, maybe we should start a topic for this particular thing somewhere on the site...

• Like 3
20 hours ago, CatLover74 said:

Was that Celebrity Masterchef, with Amar Latif (the contestant who was blind)?  I just watched a Christmas Masterchef special with him in it, and I'm staggered still by how well he is able to cook and present food.

The American Masterchef had a blind contestant who ended up winning. She was amazing. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

The American Masterchef had a blind contestant who ended up winning. She was amazing. 

Christine Ha!  I had never seen MasterChef until her season. She was incredible to watch.  
(I can't say that I have enjoyed it as much  since then, unfortunately.)

• Like 4
33 minutes ago, kirklandia said:

Christine Ha!  I had never seen MasterChef until her season. She was incredible to watch.  
(I can't say that I have enjoyed it as much  since then, unfortunately.)

We pretty much stopped watching it too. I got tired of the nastiness. 

• Like 3
On 11/27/2023 at 9:01 AM, RoxiP said:

That's one thing I like about Bake-Off is that they have had contestants on with disabilities (Briony comes to mind - she was one of my favorites) and there isn't a big deal made about it.  Tasha's disability had to be mentioned because she had the interpreter with her but Briony never was given any special consideration nor did she make a big deal about it, and neither was Tasha's disability - it was mentioned at the onset of the program but has never been mentioned again.

100%. If it were an American reality show, Briony's hand and Tasha's deafness would have totally defined them. They would have talked about it every single episode.

Have y'all watched Matteo Lane's bit on GBBO? He talks about this exact thing. It's really funny and spot on.

• Like 1
  • LOL 8
On 11/24/2023 at 1:34 PM, xfuse said:

Season 3 was a all male final and I think Season 4 was a all female final.

I just finished a rewatch of season 2 and not only was it an all female final, the final 5 were all female.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Sesquipedalia said:

100%. If it were an American reality show, Briony's hand and Tasha's deafness would have totally defined them. They would have talked about it every single episode.

Have y'all watched Matteo Lane's bit on GBBO? He talks about this exact thing. It's really funny and spot on.

Too funny !  And I thought I was the only one who needed subtitles !  For Dan, in particular. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Benji said:

Too funny !  And I thought I was the only one who needed subtitles !  For Dan, in particular. 

You are definitely not the only one! I understand like 95% of what is said, but I always keep the captions on to catch the other 5%.

• Like 2
On 11/24/2023 at 9:39 PM, Rinaldo said:

The reverse puff pastry has come up on a previous season, I wish I could remember which and who did it (it's not that easy to research, years later).

I'm just now getting around to watching the episode and reading the thread and you probably don't care over two weeks after this comment, but it was Glenn in series 4 episode 7 - Pastry. It did not go well for him. The second I saw Tasha doing it, I thought of him. 

On 12/1/2023 at 1:53 PM, Benji said:

Ha! I always have subtitles on too. Currently, I'm watching the early seasons on the Roku channel (thanks to whoever mentioned the early seasons were on there), and subtitles are not available, at least not that I can figure out. 

I'd like to add, I find it so refreshing that Mary Berry has an equal say to Paul. I wish Prue did. 

Tasha had a bad week.  She tanked the technical and had all sorts of problems getting her showstopper done on time, needing Dan's help to finish it.  She seemed to struggle with pastry.  It's a shame she (as well as her interpreter!) have to go.  The three remaining guys are all good and it's easy to root for any of them.  They're very pleasant.

On 11/24/2023 at 12:13 PM, J-Man said:

There was no opening skit on this week's episode. Was that due to Allison's absence? I noticed she did a lot of the voiceovers, but presumably those are added in afterwards.

I’m I’m glad there was no skit. While I love this show, the skits are cringeworthy.