Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E06: Botanical Week

• Start Topic

In a Bake Off first it's Botanical Week. The bakers tackle a spice-filled Signature, herby Technical and a showstopping floral dessert. Who will blossom, and whose thyme is up?

UK Original Air Date: October 31, 2023.

US Netflix Date: November 3, 2023.

Are spices really considered botanicals? I guess that's what they are, but I don't think they're what most people would immediately think of. Anyway, the spiced, sticky buns all looked, and sounded, amazing, especially Tasha and Dan's.

One issue with the technical that bothered me was that both Paul and Prue were saying, "this has more thyme than lemon" or vice versa, but never said what the right balance was.

Cristy made a hell of a fuss out of that, I have to say. Honestly, I'm not sure why hers was considered a showstopper while Matty's wasn't. Both had similar amounts of decoration, she just used a fancy mold.

The montage of people dropping stuff and just getting on with it was amusing. Tasha's dismissive, "that was just my backup cake" made me smile.

I appreciate Josh just quietly plugging away without any drama and getting star baker. He seems like an oasis of calm, compared to the others. Tasha must have been a close second, despite her poor technical. I know she said she was going to sign because she wasn't sure how to pronounce some words, but it seemed like she may resort to signing when she's a bit overwhelmed, which is very understandable. She was pretty nervous. Probably because she decided to do ten bloody layers.

I wasn't sure about the shade of green that Dan used, but the overall effect was pretty good. He's starting to seem a little cocky, though, which I'm not wild about.

Dana leaving wasn't a surprise, she's been one of the weaker bakers all season, although it was probably a tough choice between her and Saku.

• Like 11
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Cristy made a hell of a fuss out of that, I have to say. Honestly, I'm not sure why hers was considered a showstopper while Matty's wasn't. Both had similar amounts of decoration, she just used a fancy mold.

I agree 100% with this. I really haven't been able to warm to Cristy and I'm not really sure why.

• Like 12

When they walked up to Dana to discuss her bake, I had no memory of her even being in the competition! They must not be featuring her as much as the others. I figured that meant she was probably doomed. 

As pretty as they are, I have no desire to eat a big blob of gelatin with my cake!

• Like 14

The showstoppers all looked so complicated, I don’t blame some of the bakers for being nervous wrecks.

On 11/2/2023 at 10:30 AM, TVbitch said:

As pretty as they are, I have no desire to eat a big blob of gelatin with my cake!

Ditto! ^^^
Poor Cristy, at least she carried on and Alison is so nice and supportive to everyone. It’s always bugged me how Noel starts interacting with the bakers when the are obviously stressed. You could tell the last thing Saku wanted to do was goof around with lemons when she was so busy trying to get her bake right. 
Good for Josh making star baker, he deserved it. I liked Dana, she was always so calm, happy and seemed nice. I’ll miss her smile. 

• Like 16

I was also confused as to what "botanicals" means. I mean, *most* things are botanicals. Chocolate, vanilla come from plants, right? Why are spices and flowers *particularly* "botanical"?

I was also surprised that so many did a jelly for the showstopper, even though it wasn't a required element. I guess the challenge of those pretty injected flowers was irresistible. 

On 11/1/2023 at 4:38 PM, Danny Franks said:

He's starting to seem a little cocky, though, which I'm not wild about.

(re Dan). I hadn't really noticed it before, but at the end when Josh got star baker he said something like "you've been nipping at my heels along," as if he's the clear front runner, rather than, say, Tasha. Seemed obnoxious to say.

• Like 15
1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

You could tell the last thing Saku wanted to do was goof around with lemons when she was so busy trying to get her bake right. 

When she chucked that lemon I truly laughed out loud.  It was the perfect way of telling Noel to fuck off.

• Like 4
  • LOL 10
On 11/1/2023 at 4:38 PM, Danny Franks said:

I was actually thinking "it's fine just get over it". Which I realize is mean, but I've seen way worse.

And I have to say I loved the montage of everyone dropping stuff, as that would be me.

I'm glad Josh won, as he was toward the top the whole time. And Dana was the right one to send home. Her box looked amazing but it's about the cake not the box (which they didn't ask for).

1 hour ago, dleighg said:

(re Dan). I hadn't really noticed it before, but at the end when Josh got star baker he said something like "you've been nipping at my heels along," as if he's the clear front runner, rather than, say, Tasha. Seemed obnoxious to say.

I was generally confused by this comment. As Dan had to know he was exactly the middle of the pack.

• Like 1

I was surprised it was Dana, I was expecting it to be Matty. It makes me think the decision came down to a cumulative performance thus far, because Matty has done better but Dana has been at the bottom most weeks. 

I notice we aren't seeing the "life at home" packages as much as we used to. They did a little of that at the beginning of the season but nothing since. We used to get one about at least one baker every week.

There are so many terms and flavors mentioned on this show I have to look up. I don't know that I've ever tasted anything with cardamom in it before. And I swear I have to Google Joconde every time it comes up.

On 11/1/2023 at 3:38 PM, Danny Franks said:

I thought the same thing. Cristy's was a bit neater but no more impressive looking. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I notice we aren't seeing the "life at home" packages as much as we used to. They did a little of that at the beginning of the season but nothing since. We used to get one about at least one baker every week.

We also are not getting a sense that they are going home to practice-- they used to talk a lot more about their team buddies, or fellow uni students, or colleagues at the place they work tasting their "bakes." Maybe they are just cutting back on that stuff ending up in the show.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, dleighg said:

he said something like "you've been nipping at my heels along," as if he's the clear front runner, rather than, say, Tasha. Seemed obnoxious to say.

He said, "Well done, you have been knocking on the door."

• Like 13
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

There are so many terms and flavors mentioned on this show I have to look up. I don't know that I've ever tasted anything with cardamom in it before

If you've ever had Indian or other South Asian food, you've had cardamom.

• Like 4
21 minutes ago, xfuse said:

That's what my CC caught.  Dan can be a tad smug, but in this instance he was a good sport.

It's been killing me for weeks who Cristi looks like and it finally came to me.  Cristi is a more refined version of Stacey Slater of EE.

Edited by sugarbaker design
On 11/1/2023 at 3:38 PM, Danny Franks said:

I wasn't sure about the shade of green that Dan used, but the overall effect was pretty good.

I thought it looked really unappetizing, like pond scum.

All the women were wearing pink except for Dana, who wore red, and two of the guys looked like they were wearing the same blue t-shirt. I do wonder if they are given suggestions on what to wear.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I do wonder if they are given suggestions on what to wear.

My understanding from people I've known who've made TV appearances is that the most basic requirement is not wearing solid white or cream or black. Obviously, loud prints are A-OK in the tent. And whatever they choose, has to be comfortable enough to wear for two long shooting days.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, J-Man said:

So does flour.

sure, but I thought that they were talking about flavors. And chocolate, vanilla, not to mention fruits of any sort, are flavors, and are also "plant-based." I just don't understand where the dividing line is.

1 hour ago, xfuse said:

I just rewatched; while the CC said "knocking on the door" I heard "knocking on *my* door". 

Maybe I misheard (but I don't put a lot of faith in CC as being accurate all the time)

16 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

My understanding from people I've known who've made TV appearances is that the most basic requirement is not wearing solid white or cream or black.

Yes, but this isn't the first time that I've noticed a lot of the same color on the bakers. Never all of them, but enough that I notice. I suppose it could be coincidence, there were some days when I was working when I'd go into the breakroom and nearly everyone was wearing the same color.

On 11/1/2023 at 2:38 PM, Danny Franks said:

I know she said she was going to sign because she wasn't sure how to pronounce some words, but it seemed like she may resort to signing when she's a bit overwhelmed, which is very understandable.

Ah, I missed that she said that. I was wondering why she wasn't speaking. 

On 11/2/2023 at 9:30 AM, TVbitch said:

Yeah, I don't think that's much of an American thing. That gelatin stuff always makes me think of the pickled pigs feet my Polish father used to love. *gag*

A couple we used to know -- he was from Afghanistan -- used to have cardamon in a lot of their foods. I came to dislike it.

I didn't quite get how they crystallized the thyme and lemon. Also, I didn't think Prue's lemon/thyme cake had the very visible glaze. I mean, most (if not all) of the bakers' cakes had that white glaze on their cakes, and Prue even commented on how perfect Josh's was with the glaze in the ridges, but I guess I prefer the glaze to be more transparent.

I don't know if I'd like much botanical flavor in cake. Acquired taste?

I wasn't sad to see Dana go. I didn't dislike her, but she was kind of under the radar for me.

I still don't see arrogance in Dan. 

I still love Saku and her sense of humor. It always surprises me.

I was amused by Matty mentioning Harry Potter since he reminds me so much of Daniel Radcliffe.

• Like 10

I don’t see Dan as arrogant at all. He told Josh that, in essence, he had been knocking on the door of star baker for weeks now and had finally got it. Plus he has kind of a self deprecating humor when he messes up.

Christy is good, but way too emotional for me. Plenty of time to cry when the competition is over. Yes, it’s disappointing to be in line for star baker on day one, and then mess up on day two, but you can’t stop every thing and cry about it. 

Too bad Tasha messed up the Technical, since she probably would have been star baker. Still, it’s nice to spread the wealth a bit. 

• Like 15
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't quite get how they crystallized the thyme and lemon.

For the thyme, at least, you brush it with beaten egg white and roll it in sugar. For citrus peel, you usually remove all the pith (white part), simmer it in sugar syrup, dry, and optionally roll it in sugar. They could do the latter while infusing the drizzle.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3

I’m assuming they didn’t tell Cristi her showstopper didn’t much look like a showstopper because of fear she’d burst into tears. That can stop.

Suka, focus. Viewers need you in the tent for as long as possible. Gave away her insecurity when she said she’d need to ask her boss for more time off. LOL! 

• Like 5

Delighted for Josh!

Saku is wonderful — the cutest personality and humor.  She was such a gamer when Noel wanted her to juggle the lemon.

Cristy — not a favorite of mine in the slightest and she needs to cut the crying.  I can understand someone tearing up due to the stress and disappointment, but that was ridiculous.  And it bugs me that she’s another favorite of Paul’s — yet another pretty girl that Paul favors.  

I don’t see any arrogance in Dan.  I was really looking for it after the comments here, but I just don’t see it.  

• Like 11
  • Love 1

I think the reason you’re unsure how the crystallized the thyme and lemon is bc the one the showed the most was Matty’s and his was…. Not right. It looked like he had beaten his egg white into an almost meringue substance, stirred in the thyme, and was smearing it out on a tray. 

the egg white is a “glue”. You dip or coat the thyme in it, spread it out, heavily sprinkle with sugar, and put it somewhere to dry out. The egg makes the sugar stick and hardens up a bit when it dries. 
you could do the same with the lemon peel, but it looked like at least some were candying the peel. They placed the peel in melted sugar and let it dry/harden. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, dleighg said:

I just rewatched; while the CC said "knocking on the door" I heard "knocking on *my* door". 

Maybe I misheard (but I don't put a lot of faith in CC as being accurate all the time)

He also told Dana that she was amazing and that he was going to miss her so much.

My biggest problem is that i'm watching Canadian Bake off at the same time and sometimes gets the bakers mixed up.

Edited by xfuse
  • Like 5
17 hours ago, xfuse said:

Right. As in, you've been so close so many times. I'm puzzled why so many people perceive Dan to be smug, or arrogant in any way. I just don't see it.  Look how came right over to comfort Cristy when she was having a meltdown. He seems super nice to me.

17 hours ago, caitmcg said:

If you've ever had Indian or other South Asian food, you've had cardamom.

Then, nope!

One thing I missed - when they were first walking into the tent at the beginning of the show, Matty said he didn't even know what "botanicals" were and had to ask "Lara." Who? Who's Lara? Is that his girlfriend or something? See, we need more backstories with the bakers.

I got such a kick out of Matty giggling uncontrollably at Alison asking if it's true that "the blacker the berry the sweeter." 

• Like 12
  • LOL 1
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Right. As in, you've been so close so many times. I'm puzzled why so many people perceive Dan to be smug, or arrogant in any way. I just don't see it.  Look how came right over to comfort Cristy when she was having a meltdown. He seems super nice to me.

Yes. He also came over to help Dana with her flower box.

I got such a kick out of Matty giggling uncontrollably at Alison asking if it's true that "the blacker the berry the sweeter." 

I loved that. Alison is such a great addition.

I also loved when Saku kicked away the lemon. Just thinking about it cracks me up.

• Like 14
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Yes. He also came over to help Dana with her flower box.

I loved that. Alison is such a great addition.

I also loved when Saku kicked away the lemon. Just thinking about it cracks me up.

For me, I think I shouldn't have used the word arrogant, because I don't think Dan is arrogant. I still think he's a teeny bit smug at times, but he has done really well so maybe it's understandable, and I do think ALL of the bakers, including him, seem like genuinely nice people. I'm also one of those who really likes Christy. I just felt bad at her crying, not remotely annoyed because I doubt if she wanted to cry like that on national television. But we all react differently to the different bakers. Although it almost seems as if there is (appropriately so!) almost universal love for Saku!  I've reached the point in the show where it's hard to see anyone leave. (I loved Dana)

• Like 5
18 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Yes, but this isn't the first time that I've noticed a lot of the same color on the bakers. Never all of them, but enough that I notice. I suppose it could be coincidence, there were some days when I was working when I'd go into the breakroom and nearly everyone was wearing the same color.

I was visiting New Orleans and we went out to lunch.  The table next to us slowly filled up with everyone wearing striped clothing.  They laughed, we laughed, the waiters laughed.

Matty in his brown apron, usually earth toned T shirt and high and tight haircut, keeps reminding me of the monk who won the American version of the bakeoff.

Please never offer me "crystalized thyme"!  And the reason the cake insides didn't have enough thyme is that it takes a very long time to carefully strip the little leaves off the stems without including any stems.

Cardomom is very popular in Swedish baked goods.  It has a very floral aroma.

• Like 3

I thought it was for sure Matty’s week to go, they threw me for a loop with Dana. (To be fair it seemed like a coin toss between the two based on judges comments and my own eyeballs.)

Thrilled for Josh. He is a great baker with such a quiet but strong presence. And I still adore Tasha - I will be sad if the two of them don’t make it to the end.

• Like 5

Some online folks are criticizing Tasha - saying she wasn't "ill" last week, she just didn't think she could finish her bake in time.  Apparently, hearing issues and migraines go hand in hand.

And then they criticized her this week for using sign language for most of the last half of the show.  I thought that when she finally did speak a sentence, it sounded as though her voice had been recorded and dubbed in.  Maybe she had laryngitis, but had a better option (signing) than trying to make her throat worse.

The fun parts of this season for me are:

• The hosts are toned down;
  • The bakes seem more reasonable for the time allotted;
  • Paul seems less like he's trying to scare the bakers, and even has a bit of fun with them;
  • I don't actively dislike any of the bakers!
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

I didn't think I'd like Matty when the season started, but he's actually one of my favourites.  In fact, I think my top four are the three guys and Tasha, and have been for a while weeks.

Unlike for seemingly everyone else, Saku is probably my least favourite, but she's growing on me.

Of all of them, I was probably least sorry to see Dana go; her nervous giggle after every sentence was grating on me.

Poor Tasha looked crushed to be last in the technical.  (I don't know why they don't have a voiceover when she just signs - someone's obviously telling everyone what she's saying.)

• Like 3
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

And then they criticized her this week for using sign language for most of the last half of the show.

Oy. Give me a break. Some people.

Frankly, I enjoy watching people sign. It think it's beautiful, sometimes mesmerizing, and graceful. 

• Like 16
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Frankly, I enjoy watching people sign. It think it's beautiful, sometimes mesmerizing, and graceful.

I have been exposed more to it lately, both here, and on Silent Witness (thank you Britbox). I'm amazed at how many words/ideas can be expressed in a few, fast, hand motions.

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 4

I kept thinking of the show "Switched at Birth" they had actors that were (are?) deaf (in real life) play the characters. So when they were signing it was legit and they had subtitles as most people (me included) wouldn't understand what was going on in the story otherwise.

As for this, I thought it was an interesting stylistic choice and wondered if it was the show or Tasha that came up with it.

• Like 1

And the reason the cake insides didn't have enough thyme is that it takes a very long time to carefully strip the little leaves off the stems without including any stems.

If you hold a sprig of thyme at its top  and move your thumb and index finger down the stem, every little leaf comes right off. Maybe most were cautious about putting in too much. I thought it was a set-up critique point, as neither Paul nor Prue yakked about what a proper balance would be, (not too much or not enough, thanks).

• Like 3
11 hours ago, blueray said:

I kept thinking of the show "Switched at Birth" they had actors that were (are?) deaf (in real life) play the characters. So when they were signing it was legit and they had subtitles as most people (me included) wouldn't understand what was going on in the story otherwise.

As for this, I thought it was an interesting stylistic choice and wondered if it was the show or Tasha that came up with it.

What seemed odd to me is that, if I remember correctly, she starting only signing in the second half of the show. If it was a choice, why not do it for the whole episode.

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, buttersister said:

If you hold a sprig of thyme at its top  and move your thumb and index finger down the stem, every little leaf comes right off. Maybe most were cautious about putting in too much. I thought it was a set-up critique point, as neither Paul nor Prue yakked about what a proper balance would be, (not too much or not enough, thanks).

Before she left the tent, didn't Prue say something like Be bold? I thought she was dropping a big hint that they shouldn't be shy about the thyme. Granted, it would still be hard to know HOW bold to be.

• Like 4

Boring week. Just plants & spices in dull & expected combos.   Have they done this theme before?  If so, it must have been just as boring, as I don't remember it.  Or slept through it. 

Nothing to see here folks, move along to next week.  *sigh*

On 11/2/2023 at 10:30 AM, TVbitch said:

That's how I feel about ice cream cakes.  Give me one or the other.  Cake wet with melted ice cream disgusts me.  

On 11/3/2023 at 2:22 PM, dleighg said:

I agree & I've decided he's a bit of a douchebag.  He's decided he's got it all wrapped up.  

Edited by SnapHappy
On 11/3/2023 at 4:55 PM, dgpolo said:

I don't know if this is what they did in this episode (although I assumed they did when I was watching it), but I'm pretty sure that in the past, bakers have mentioned that they coordinated outfits.

On 11/3/2023 at 9:35 PM, MerBearHou said:

Saku is wonderful — the cutest personality and humor.  She was such a gamer when Noel wanted her to juggle the lemon.

Her saying "look at my face for the last time" cracked me up.

19 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Some online folks are criticizing Tasha - saying she wasn't "ill" last week, she just didn't think she could finish her bake in time.  Apparently, hearing issues and migraines go hand in hand.

And then they criticized her this week for using sign language for most of the last half of the show.  I thought that when she finally did speak a sentence, it sounded as though her voice had been recorded and dubbed in.  Maybe she had laryngitis, but had a better option (signing) than trying to make her throat worse.

She said she didn't have confidence pronouncing some of the elements in her recipe.

18 hours ago, Ancaster said:

(I don't know why they don't have a voiceover when she just signs - someone's obviously telling everyone what she's saying.)

Her interpreter is translating simultaneously, so I was surprised they didn't just put a microphone on him. It's not like they try to downplay his presence.

• Like 6
22 hours ago, mellyf said:

I'm also one of those who really likes Christy. I just felt bad at her crying, not remotely annoyed because I doubt if she wanted to cry like that on national television.

International television, actually!

54 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Boring week. Just plants & spices in dull & expected combos.   Have they done this theme before? 

Good question. I honestly don't remember there ever being a "botanicals" week before, but I have a poor memory for these things. I didn't think it was boring though. I'm all for trying new themes, as long as they aren't ridiculously complicated and designed to purposely cause disasters, like a lot of the Showstoppers have been for the past several seasons. The show seems to have gotten the message that we don't enjoy that.

• Like 3

I just checked on Wikipedia. Series 7, Episode 6 was Botanical:

In the signature, the seven remaining bakers were asked to create a meringue pie containing citrus fruit, such as orange, grapefruits and lemons, in 2 hours. In the technical, the contestants had to create two leaf-shaped herb fougasses in hours. In the showstopper, the contestants were asked to create a three-tier cake with a flower theme. All the tiers could be the same flavour, or each with a different flavour, and the cakes could be decorated with flowers, all to be done in hours.

Quite different from this season's Botanical theme.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

I don't know if this is what they did in this episode (although I assumed they did when I was watching it), but I'm pretty sure that in the past, bakers have mentioned that they coordinated outfits.

Remember the sweet young guy who always wore a tie?  After he was eliminated, the remaining bakers all wore a tie in his honour the following week.  Also, they spend Saturday night together every weekend they're in the competition, and go home in between so they can gather items, not just articles of clothing they might collude over, but special ingredients, display plates, homemade gadgets, etc.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't care for ice cream cakes either. Cake. Give me cake. 

Ice cream, give me ice cream!

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, dgpolo said:

If Tasha wanted to speak in one scene, sign in the next, speak in the next and sign again then that is her choice and she should do that.

100% agree.  I don't know why people are even making out a thing.  It's a second language, and like anyone who speaks a second language, no matter how fluent, it is tiring to use it and your first language is where you express yourself best. 

• Like 13
  • Applause 4