Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E06: Botanical Week

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, buttersister said:

If you hold a sprig of thyme at its top  and move your thumb and index finger down the stem, every little leaf comes right off. Maybe most were cautious about putting in too much. I thought it was a set-up critique point, as neither Paul nor Prue yakked about what a proper balance would be, (not too much or not enough, thanks).

It sounds so easy, but it never works out for me like that.  Prue's recipe calls for 4 TB of thyme just for the cake.  https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/recipes/all/prue-leiths-lemon-thyme-bundt/

Even if comes off easily, that's a lot of sprigs of thyme to get that amount. 

16 hours ago, Rickster said:

What seemed odd to me is that, if I remember correctly, she starting only signing in the second half of the show. If it was a choice, why not do it for the whole episode.

Maybe she reverts to signing when she's feeling nervous?  I am sad to hear people are making a big deal out of her being ill or choosing to communicate using sign.  It sounds like they're trying to build up an argument for a conspiracy theory if she should win.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 10
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

It sounds like they're trying to build up an argument for a conspiracy theory if she should win.

The person who reviews this show for The Daily Beast does a lot of pearl-clutching over things I find quite innocuous, and makes it sound like all of the UK is up in arms about stuff.  I think it's important to remember that this is a competition for an engraved cake plate.  And maybe a Hollywood handshake. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It sounds so easy, but it never works out for me like that. 

yeah, at least the thyme I buy or grow has a lot of branches on each sprig, and the swoop down method only works on a single "branch."

Regarding the signing, and purported chatter about it, the nature of social media these days amplifies one comment on a random website to "so many people are..." Somehow I can't imagine that many people give a fig. I was just surprised they just did CC on it rather than an oral translator. That is, for those of us who have our eyes elsewhere than the screen LOL.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It sounds so easy, but it never works out for me like that.  Prue's recipe calls for 4 TB of thyme just for the cake. 

Same for me! And that is a LOT of thyme.

• Like 2
On 11/4/2023 at 12:21 PM, iMonrey said:

One thing I missed - when they were first walking into the tent at the beginning of the show, Matty said he didn't even know what "botanicals" were and had to ask "Lara." Who? Who's Lara? Is that his girlfriend or something? See, we need more backstories with the bakers.

Yes she is his fiance. We saw her in Week 1 or 2 in the back story part for about 3 seconds. I do agree we need more "at home" time.  Also, it was odd him saying he doesn't know what botanicals are because they've all known the theme of the week for a while. I guess he was just being cheeky.

21 hours ago, janie jones said:

Her interpreter is translating simultaneously, so I was surprised they didn't just put a microphone on him. It's not like they try to downplay his presence.

I wonder if he talks on screen, they have to pay him more or something? Like an extra versus a speaking role. But, I do love sign language and the silence of it is refreshing in a "chaotic" show like this.

Edited by xander874
  • Like 5
2 hours ago, mellyf said:
12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It sounds so easy, but it never works out for me like that.  Prue's recipe calls for 4 TB of thyme just for the cake. 

Same for me! And that is a LOT of thyme.

Plus, I don't even know where one gets four terabytes of thyme... 😜

• Like 1
  • LOL 10
13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I am sad to hear people are making a big deal out of her being ill or choosing to communicate using sign.  It sounds like they're trying to build up an argument for a conspiracy theory if she should win.

I agree. How can anybody pick on someone as sweet as Tasha? What's wrong with people? Some people are just so broken.

3 hours ago, xander874 said:

Also, it was odd him saying he doesn't know what botanicals are because they've all known the theme of the week for a while. I guess he was just being cheeky.

I think he meant when he was first told it would be botanicals week, not as he was walking into the tent to do it.

• Like 10
On 11/5/2023 at 11:11 AM, peeayebee said:

I don't care for ice cream cakes either. Cake. Give me cake. 

I don't like ice cream cakes that have both cake and ice cream.  I like ice cream cakes where its all ice cream.

Glad Josh finally got star baker.  He's been deserving a couple times.

Not shocked to see Dana go.  She was on the bubble I think week 1 and 2, but starting doing better.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2023 at 11:03 AM, janie jones said:

Her interpreter is translating simultaneously, so I was surprised they didn't just put a microphone on him. It's not like they try to downplay his presence.

On 11/6/2023 at 8:38 AM, xander874 said:

I wonder if he talks on screen, they have to pay him more or something? Like an extra versus a speaking role. But, I do love sign language and the silence of it is refreshing in a "chaotic" show like this.

Her interpreter is there to translate what is being said to her, not to translate her for the audience. It's to accommodate her in the tent, so she understands what everyone else is hearing and to put her on equal footing with the rest of the contestants. 

I haven't found her signing to be intrusive at all and generally it's done with the camera interviews after a challenge or at the end of an episode. I appreciate the voiceover then. 

• Like 4

General shout-out that I think Alison has been a terrific replacement for Matt.  I also see that they have toned down the comedy back to Mel and Sue level from the zaniness of when it was Matt and Noel, and the show is better for it.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Dobian said:

General shout-out that I think Alison has been a terrific replacement for Matt.  I also see that they have toned down the comedy back to Mel and Sue level from the zaniness of when it was Matt and Noel, and the show is better for it.

I think that as much as I liked Noel and Sandy, I think I like Noel and Alison even more. She's delightful!

On 11/4/2023 at 8:24 PM, buttersister said:

If you hold a sprig of thyme at its top  and move your thumb and index finger down the stem, every little leaf comes right off. Maybe most were cautious about putting in too much. I thought it was a set-up critique point, as neither Paul nor Prue yakked about what a proper balance would be, (not too much or not enough, thanks).

Using your method, you end up with the smaller stems included with the leaves.  Then you have to pick them out.  I just made two batches of spiced nuts that require a tablespoon of thyme leaves so I know.  That's why the thyme was underwhelming in the bakes.