Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E05: I Don't Want to Be the Worm

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Castaways have empty bellies and start dreaming of their favorite foods from home as running on empty begins to take its toll. Then, one castaway from each tribe goes on a journey and must decide between sustenance or a potential advantage.

Original airdate 10/25/23

Kellie and Kaleb is a duo I could get behind long term. I am also appreciating the no-nonsense play of Dee and Julie.

When it became clear it was coming down to Drew or Brando, I found myself kinda leaning toward wanting Drew to stay over Brando, which surprised me. I guess in-trouble Drew is better than sitting-pretty Drew.

What was up with the pizza symbols on the voting parchments?

I love Kaleb, and I think he's playing a pretty smart game in every way.  I see now why Sabiyah was threatened by him.

Not sure if I think Emily should have sided with Drew/Austin.  She knows they are a strong duo, whereas she discovered Brando and Kendra were not.  Drew is just way too arrogant and if he makes the final 3, I think the social game is going to cost him. 

The aftermath of the last TC was pretty amusing, especially the Reba girls not believing Sean would betray them and tell Sifu he didn't vote for him.  Like, what did they expect?  Especially because they could have still voted for Sifu.  This was not a betrayal.  Then they acted like Sifu going was the perfect plan, which they again could have done!  I like Dee, not sure about J Maya, but Julie not so much.

Still loving Katurah, and I'm seeing why Bruce annoys her.  I wonder if they are trying to re-create the Courtney/Jean-Roberte feud from S15 by the way they edit Katurah to constantly talk about Bruce?  Also, I hope Jake is okay.  That's scary to have the same thing happen twice, and I can't believe Jeff wasn't on a boat with medical to look at him, and Jeff give him one of those 'you are so strong for wanting to be here despite passing out twice!' pep talks.  

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Whoever is in charge of editing this season should probably be relieved of duty for a couple of seasons to get their mojo back. Even before the challenge, it was clear Brando was going because the editor apparently doesn't think we are attuned enough to realize that a castaway who to date has been given an invisible edit suddenly has more confessionals before the IC than they've had all season isn't going to be the one going  home. The the only thing missing was a giant neon arrow pointing at Brando.

Also how about cutting a second of two of that Krazy Kendra segment early on so we could get both Emily AND Kaleb's reaction to being the last Lulu left standing with the Sean quit/vote out...we only got Emily's.

Speaking of which she truly is one of the most interesting/refreshing castaways we've gotten in some years. 

Katura or whatever the heck her name is though can go any time now. She's a completely one-note character with her unhealthy Bruce obsession.

Austin was preaching the gospel. The sandwiches were the way to go over picking something that is going to paint a HUGE target on your back deep in the game. I wanted him to take the sandwiches just so it would agitate Jeff and Production that the twist flopped.

"You're giving me palpitations." I don't know why but that admission was hysterical.

First time we've had a very special episode about....binge eating of all things. As for the faint...it didn't look like he was out long enough to even close his eyes! That was over the top.

Final thing. I rarely even notice the score but during the Krazy Khendra segment, it was so overblown I was asking out loud...what the hell is this?

• Like 7
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Kaleb is incredibly strong at this game. (Side note: I would like to ban the phrases “this game” and “my name” from the show just to see if people can find new words to use, because holy lord are they worn out.)

Jake’s health situation is going to come up again, right? We aren’t getting footage of things that look like seizures without any medical follow up just for fun, are we? 

I appreciate Austin’s cheekbones.

• Like 13
  • LOL 2

Ok bizarre...our local station cut out of Survivor before the TC, and jumped into Amazing Race which had already started. The listing says Survivor should have gone til 830, but near as I can tell they cut over at like 805????  wth

nvm Surv is still on. i dunno why they were showing parts of Amazing during the commercial breaks.

Edited by Colorado David
1 minute ago, Colorado David said:

Ok bizarre...our local station cut out of Survivor before the TC, and jumped into Amazing Race which had already started. The listing says Survivor should have gone til 830, but near as I can tell they cut over at like 805????  wth

nvm Surv is still on. i dunno why they were showing parts of Amazing during the commercial breaks.

They've been showing these "extended previews" of the Amazing Race during Survivor all season. Seems to be a trend across all of reality tv lately, to show a more or less complete scene (still with a cliffhanger of course) instead of just snippets. It's annoying lol.

19 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

They've been showing these "extended previews" of the Amazing Race during Survivor all season. Seems to be a trend across all of reality tv lately, to show a more or less complete scene (still with a cliffhanger of course) instead of just snippets. It's annoying lol.

Ah makes sense. I am used to the teasers, but yeah they dropped right into the roadblock with what looked to me like spoilery footage. they need to stop that.

Edited by Colorado David
  • Like 3

Really wanted Drew to be voted out, but like already said, it was clear that Brando was going. Losing Brando wasn't a big loss because I can't remember one thing about him aside from wanting to form a nerd alliance with Drew or something. So, whatever to Brando. As I say every week, Drew really needs to go, I can't stand him. Austin can follow "I think I am so smart at this game" Drew out of the game too. 

The Reba girls are interesting. Hope they can stick together for a while.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

We had to laugh, Reba spending  all that time on how they were going  to vote  out Sifu, and they won immunity.I think he was a good part of the reason they won. I'd love to see the chaos  he causes,  so far it's been zip,  that we've seen..

Brando might have been a nerd, but both Brando and Drew have a lovely  way with speech. I'm still crushing on Kaleb, he plays Survivor  extremely  well.

I was with Austen, have the sandwich, but he succumbed  and took the amulet.He's a good looking kid, I hope he goes to the end. It was until he explained  the amulet,  I knew what it did.

• Like 11
57 minutes ago, dancingdreamer said:

We had to laugh, Reba spending  all that time on how they were going  to vote  out Sifu, and they won immunity.I think he was a good part of the reason they won. I'd love to see the chaos  he causes,  so far it's been zip,  that we've seen..

I totally agree.  They would have gone to tribal had that stupid plan gone through.  Good thing the other two women were smart enough to ignore Dee's dumb attempt to still vote him out last week.

I really like Drew and Austin and glad Emily chose their side of things.  Drew told her the truth about his conversation with Brando while Brando lied to her so she got the more honest side. 

It was also remarkable that he didn't lie to Brando and make a fake nerd alliance with him.  Interesting and kind of refreshing way to play the game for a change.

Hope Kaleb joins them at the merge since he made a connection with Drew earlier and sent him an advantage.  I can really get behind them as a final four.

Worried that Jake's condition will get worse or why else have we seen two "episodes" already.  Editors put those in for a reason because if it was only a passing thing no reason to edit it into the show I believe.

Edited by Skooma
  • Like 7

I, too, could only think of how long those sandwiches had been sitting out in the tropical heat.  Even if the interns popped them them out of the cooler right before they crested the trail, you know the discussion lasted longer than shown, and you know there were retakes and camera positioning, and production stuff that took time.  

I truly do not understand how that 3-way, 2-way, then single advantage really works.  I mean, I get it that when there is only one, it is a true immunity idol.  But before that?  Much depends on what happens on other tribes prior to the merge-which is out of each advantage holder's control.  

It is way too confusing.  They would have been better served to eat the sandwiches--not the stunt sandwiches on camera, but new, cold and safe sandwiches--then breathe onion breath on their tribe mates as proof they ate and didn't get an advantage.

The fish reward was puzzling too.  That was ten fish for at most five tribe members.  The team that won the big prize had only four members.  How does that work?  There's no refrigeration, no way to keep it safe, so do they cook it all and bloat up?  Try to preserve it by smoking it?  When does it get delivered?  After the tribe members return from their "journey?"  Is it the same fish as was displayed during the comp?  If so, even though there were languishing ice cubes, it basically baked in the sun.

No footage of the tribes enjoying their rewards either. 90 freaking minutes, and no scenes of hungry people rolling their eyes in ecstasy and devouring the largesse.  Yet we spent nearly 30 minutes on the Lulu tribe denying the prior vote and strategizing for how to bamboozle or placate Sifu.  WTF?

• Like 17
  • LOL 1

That was stressful, as I kept waiting for Austen to say "This is war!" I really enjoy his presence and calm, genial reads on things. So glad Emily chose him and Drew. Brando was a sweet guy, but he kind of fumbled those strategy chats.

We're back to those awful sappy inserts of outside/former lives. Sigh.

Sifu handled that well. I liked his volcano analogy, and that he kept his cool.

It's a real pity Reba didn't go to tribal, and J Maya didn't get voted out, because that would have moved along Austen's plan to get the full amulet power of an idol a step. They really need to introduce half-idol rings that only work when you bump them together with other half-idol rings, like Shazam! It's getting that silly.

Edited by violet and green
wrong tribe
  • Like 7
  • LOL 4

When it became clear which tribe was going to TC I kind of lost interest.  I didn't care if it was Drew or Brando going or which side Emily was going to choose.  They are both fodder.  The other woman (whose name I can't even remember) is kind of whackadoodle.  (Oh, right, Kendra.)

I hope Jake doesn't continue to have fainting episodes.  That is disturbing.

I kept waiting for Sifu to bring up the obvious - if Sean allegedly lied and did vote for Sifu, then who voted for Dee?  He was too wrapped up in his own anger to see the hole in the women's theory.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2

Drew is incredibly lucky that Emily voted with him and Austin. The arrogance to outright reject an alliance is pretty astounding to me. 

Why is Julie under the impression that Sifu could have the Reba idol, when she knows that Austin is the one who has it?

I kind of like Kellie, but how does Katurah looking for an idol equate to Katurah being sloppy? As if most of them aren’t looking for an idol.

Edited by jsm1125
  • Like 11
41 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

Drew is incredibly lucky that Emily voted with him and Austin. The arrogance to outright reject an alliance is pretty astounding to me.

I didn't find his rejecting the offer arrogant.  I found it refreshingly honest.  He didn't lie to him and make a fake alliance.  He let him know the truth up front.

• Like 6
42 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

kind of like Kellie, but how does Katurah looking for an idol equate to Katurah being sloppy? As if most of them aren’t looking for an idol.

Yeah, it always makes me chuckle when someone starts clutching their pearls when a tribe mate is discovered looking for an idol. I mean, if you aren’t looking you are the sloppy one. 

• Like 16
  • Love 2

Only on Survivor could I see a woman pick her nose in public.  Where do they find someone like Kendra?

Bruce is pretty original, too. So he believes once you become an adult you never have to debate issues or compromise with people ever again. You just do everything your own way. His wife deserves a medal, I'm glad she's getting this break. 

I'm already making a wish list for the end of the season where Kaleb takes out Bruce (with Katurah's gleeful assistance) and Austin outsmarts Drew. 

Austin has proven himself to be more than a stack of muscles and a beautiful smile and I haven't forgotten Drew telling him, to his face, that Austin would be the brawn and Drew would be the brains.

• Like 12
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I hope Jake doesn't continue to have fainting episodes.  That is disturbing.

Not even just the fainting...the twitching once he's on the ground is a big yikes.

2 hours ago, jsm1125 said:

Why is Julie under the impression that Sifu could have the Reba idol, when she knows that Austin is the one who has it?

I was wondering that myself. They're still on the same beach.

9 hours ago, dancingdreamer said:

I was with Austen, have the sandwich, but he succumbed  and took the amulet.He's a good looking kid, I hope he goes to the end. It was until he explained  the amulet,  I knew what it did.

In fairness to him, the decision was majority rule, and he was outvoted 2-1.  Maybe he lobbied harder for sammich than we saw, but he didn't have much going for him.

It would have been more interesting twist IMO if you had the individual choice, prisoner's dilemma style, and only found out afterwards what people selected, and only if you were on Team Amulet...in such a case, I would still be Team Sandwich and just blow up the advantage holders' situation. But then, I would make the Lulu-losers that have been voted off look like they had taken the best qualities of Boston Rob, Ozzy and various other Survivors, so...

8 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I, too, could only think of how long those sandwiches had been sitting out in the tropical heat.  Even if the interns popped them them out of the cooler right before they crested the trail, you know the discussion lasted longer than shown, and you know there were retakes and camera positioning, and production stuff that took time.  

I truly do not understand how that 3-way, 2-way, then single advantage really works.  I mean, I get it that when there is only one, it is a true immunity idol.  But before that?  Much depends on what happens on other tribes prior to the merge-which is out of each advantage holder's control.  

It is way too confusing.  They would have been better served to eat the sandwiches--not the stunt sandwiches on camera, but new, cold and safe sandwiches--then breathe onion breath on their tribe mates as proof they ate and didn't get an advantage.

When there are 3 amulets in the game, the holders can conspire to cast an extra vote.

When there are 2, the holders can conspire and steal a vote.

When there's just one, it's an immunity idol.

As Austin mentioned, it gives a huge incentive to get the other amulet holders out so you are left with an immunity idol. There is no reason to trust the other amulet holders, and everyone who didn't go on the journey must suspect some sort of advantage/quest was given to the journeypeople. Now if the story that the others have told their tribe doesn't match up to what Austin told his, there's probably going to be trouble. That's why I'd take the sandwich and the posible food poisoning over being targeted from multiple directions.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

The 3 person amulets are more interesting earlier before the merge, in my opinion. I believe in 43 (or was it 42?) it was the very first advantage during the opening challenge. 

There's more mystery/intrigue when you're all split up still. You won't know if your amulet has gained power until the next challenge when the tribes come in, and surprise! Your amulet is more powerful.

With the merge happening soon, once everyone is all together it is going to get backstabby very quickly, making it much more of a risk. Why focus on an alliance to keep a weaker advantage when you can start picking people off to power it up?

• Like 8

There seemed to be an awful lot of filler in this episode. I don't object to the 90 minute episodes in general but they had a hard time justifying that length this week. Enough with the shots of Kendra burping and picking her nose already. We get it, she's a "character."

Add me to team sandwich. The three-way advantage is just way too convoluted. J and Austin were both on Reba but they've never been working together, and Kelly was on Belo. Also, the sandwiches would be fine assuming there's no condiments on them like mayo. 

I'm confused about all the different advantages Austin has, I can't remember how the hell they worked and WTF he did in the voting booth. I take it he had two different advantages that more or less cancelled each other out.

I'm not clear on whether Brando actually went ahead and gave Drew his shot in the dark or whether he just suggested it if Drew agreed to vote out Kendra. Because if he did give it to Drew, all Drew had to do was show it to Emily to prove he was telling the truth. And maybe that's what happened and they just didn't show it to us to keep us in "suspense."

I also have to wonder whether anyone considered just voting out Emily. It's sort of odd they just basically handed the decision over to her.

• Like 4
Just now, iMonrey said:

I'm not clear on whether Brando actually went ahead and gave Drew his shot in the dark or whether he just suggested it if Drew agreed to vote out Kendra. Because if he did give it to Drew, all Drew had to do was show it to Emily to prove he was telling the truth. And maybe that's what happened and they just didn't show it to us to keep us in "suspense."

I forget if they showed Brando literally putting it in Drew's hand, but at the very least, he held it out to Drew as he was proposing his plan to vote out Kendra, and Drew basically pushed it away (possibly even with a "closing Brando's fingers around it" move) and said "that's not necessary."

Everyone knew Emily was in the middle. It was clear that both sides were vying for Emily's vote. I felt like someone should have pitched turning the tables on Emily, and voting for Emily to save everyone else; to save their "war" for another day and remove Emily's power as a swing vote.

• Like 8

I don't think Jake is fainting; it looks more like he's having seizures. If he  were fainting due to low blood pressure as Kellie was claiming, then he wouldn't be popping right back up and being fine immediately. It takes at least a few minutes for BP to come up to a normal level. I also think it's a huge mistake for someone with an eating disorder, even one they have under control, to go on this show. Contestants in the past have talked about how after the show was over, they had problems with food, both with binge-eating and hoarding. Based on Hannah and Sean quitting and Brandon weeping his way through his four days, it seems the psychological evaluations this season were likely inadequate or inept, so I hope for his own sake that Jake either gets voted out soon or is pulled from the game.

Sifu is crazy, but I love him. I've never seen anyone use Tai Chi to threaten someone 😄

Austin played his two advantages right. He could have used immunity on Drew, but then he'd have only that vote-cancel canceller or WTFever it was, and how often is that useful? This way, he extended the immunity idol and kept his vote. That said, I have no recollection of him getting those advantages, and I think he said he and Drew had another one too, in addition to the three-part amulets? Crazy. He should have just started eating a sandwich while J. and Kellie were debating.

• Like 11
  • LOL 8
33 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm confused about all the different advantages Austin has, I can't remember how the hell they worked and WTF he did in the voting booth. I take it he had two different advantages that more or less cancelled each other out.

I also have to wonder whether anyone considered just voting out Emily. It's sort of odd they just basically handed the decision over to her.

I had forgotten the Goodwill Advantage existed. On Googling, I was reminded that when Kaleb raided Reba, he gave Drew the Goodwill Advantage, which allows someone to restore a lost vote at Tribal. Apparently the idol he got had a clause that it was good for X tribal councils, but X+Y if he forfeited his vote. So he forfeited his vote but then immediately got it back with the Goodwill Advantage that he got from Drew.

The trouble with actually trying to vote out Emily:

1. If (say) Austin/Drew decide to vote for Emily without trying to rope in either Kendra/Brando, it will be a 2 votes for Emily, 2 votes for Austin or Drew with Emily still being the deciding vote. Even if Emily decides to vote K/B, they have blown up the possibility of working with her in the future, with the merge looming. 

2. If (say) Austin and Drew try to get K and/or B to vote Emily and then there can be the big Reba/Belo battle at some future point, the possibility of getting an agreement you can trust is minimal. All K and or B need to do is say "Yo, Emily, A/D are trying to blindside you" and firmly put Emily into the K/B camp. 

In short, trying to oust Emily doesn't seem like it brings much of an advantage to whoever tries it.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I thought Jake's syncope events looked more like seizures to me than your garden variety vasovagal swoons.  In both events he sort of did this herky-jerky motion, and you could see in his eyes that he was clocked out.  I can't believe after catching this on camera twice that medical hasn't been out to evaluate him.  Maybe they have, and they left that footage out so they had time to include a scene with Kendra picking her underwear out of her ass, hawking a loogie, or snort laughing. 

Does anyone else see "Sifu" and think "STFU?"  Just me?  OK.

• Like 18
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

I kept waiting for Sifu to bring up the obvious - if Sean allegedly lied and did vote for Sifu, then who voted for Dee?  He was too wrapped up in his own anger to see the hole in the women's theory.

Dee played that terribly. She should have been acting exactly as outraged and betrayed as Sifu, since the only reason to be fine with seeing her name at tribal was if she was certain Sean was the one who wrote it down. Her complete lack of stress about who voted for her ought to have alerted Sifu that either she or one of the other women wrote down his name, and either way, Dee was clued in on who had done it & was protecting them while lying to Sifu about it.

• Like 12

Brando talked this episode! I knew that meant he was going home, but I was still hoping for Drew.

I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of the "Kendra is gross" montage. She can't be the only person there to burp. And I'm going to assume she wasn't the first person ever to pick her nose out there either (as lovely of an image as that is). Why did they even air that?

Put me down as another person who thought Jake was having seizures. Something about his movements rather than just dropping to the ground. But again, not an expert.

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, Long Days Night said:

Dee played that terribly. She should have been acting exactly as outraged and betrayed as Sifu, since the only reason to be fine with seeing her name at tribal was if she was certain Sean was the one who wrote it down. Her complete lack of stress about who voted for her ought to have alerted Sifu that either she or one of the other women wrote down his name, and either way, Dee was clued in on who had done it & was protecting them while lying to Sifu about it.

I actually thought she was acting angry and stressed about it, just in a different way. Some people get very loud and talkative and demonstrative when they're upset, others get very quiet - I thought that was the vibe she was giving. When Sifu first started asking about who voted for whom, Dee said "I'm not ready to talk about it", and everything she said after that in that scene was in a very clipped, brusque tone, all while staring straight ahead intently. Acting more overtly outraged could have led to overselling it.

19 minutes ago, Steph Sometimes said:

I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of the "Kendra is gross" montage. She can't be the only person there to burp. And I'm going to assume she wasn't the first person ever to pick her nose out there either (as lovely of an image as that is). Why did they even air that?

Somehow all of that made Brando and Drew connect with her.

33 minutes ago, Long Days Night said:

I agree with tracyscott76 that there's more than one way to be outraged and upset. We know because we have inside info that her "I don't want to talk about it" was most likely "I haven't come up with a good enough story and want to postpone having to talk about it" (although Dee came around to talk about it within moments.) But it could just as easily be "I'm so upset about my name being put down that I want to be left alone for the moment about it."

The scenario J was hatching -- that J was on the outs with the other two and wrote Sifu's name down -- allows for the possibility that was true and that Sean wrote Dee down. Whether Dee would have necessarily known or guessed that either Sean wrote Dee down or who else might have put Sifu's name down is unclear to me.

Also unclear to me: what J potentially has to gain from offering herself as decoy? If they were to stay in their current tribes and go to the next tribal council, there's certainly the possibility that Dee and Julie join Sifu and backstab her. I get that there's the "lull him in a false sense of security so he doesn't play his idol" aspect, but there's probably a better way to do that than volunteering as tribute.

Do the rules of Survivor prevent you from writing your own name down?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Also unclear to me: what J potentially has to gain from offering herself as decoy? If they were to stay in their current tribes and go to the next tribal council, there's certainly the possibility that Dee and Julie join Sifu and backstab her. I get that there's the "lull him in a false sense of security so he doesn't play his idol" aspect, but there's probably a better way to do that than volunteering as tribute.

I believe the endgame of the plan was to not only lull Sifu into a false sense of security and not play his idol, but also to vote him out, so there would be no risk of Dee and Julie joining him at the next tribal. It was a sketchy plan for sure, since as we saw, Dee and Julie were contemplating just voting her out this time.

2 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Do the rules of Survivor prevent you from writing your own name down?

They do, yes.

Edited by tracyscott76
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I also don't get why Kendra was so shocked by the outcome. Did she not realize that they had set it up so Emily was going to be the deciding vote? Did Emily try to make her think she was voting for Drew instead?

• Like 2

I would have inhaled that sammie without a moment's hesitation.  If they'd been sitting out there for any length of time, there would have been a swarm of flies or gnats.

I also thought there was at least a marginal argument to be made that fueling up would be a huge and immediate advantage for those three.  Lots of players are suffering from the weakies.  (Is it the Seals motto to "Eat when you can, sleep when you can"?  Or just Jack Reacher?)

P.S>whoever decided to offer FRUIT as the food reward--brutal!

• Like 9
1 hour ago, eel2178 said:

I keep thinking they're calling him "Seafood."

In our weekly viewing party, we just call him "Seafood" as well.  It is easier. 

Our favorite name has always been "Woo" because we all called him "Woo-Hoo!" and much mirth resulted.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

Can’t figure out whether these attacks of Jake’s are seizures or not…my daughters have seizures, but as I’ve learned seizures can look so different.  Did it look like one to me? Kind of…but who can say…without an EEG, who is to know for sure.  

• Like 2

Those amulets, FFS… 🙄

They have to use them all together but after one is gone they are worth this advantage, after two another advantage, can only be used under a full moon and etc., etc. 

Don’t make me pay attention like I’m in a calculus class. I’m just trying to watch TV. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1