Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Opening Night

• Start Topic

Curtain call on Season 3! Charles, Mabel & Oliver race to entrap the killer on Opening Night. As the musical thrills its Broadway audience, the trio brave further twists & turns from behind, above and all around the stage.

Available October 3, 2023.

• Thanks 1

I started to think there was a double switch and Loretta had done it after all until Cliff tried to throw himself out of the trap over center stage.  

Speaking of "double switch":  season 4 can't get here fast enough.  

• Like 15

Even though a lot of what people speculated was happening turned out to be right, the ride was still enjoyable. I can't remember if it was here or Reddit where someone predicted season four would revolve around

Spoiler

Sazz being murdered in Charles' apartment at the end of this one

but kudos.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

The moment they said the lipstick matched it was blatantly obvious that Cliff was the killer.  That didn't make it any worse, thanks in large part to the performances of everybody involved.

Sazz dying means more Jane Lynch next season in flashbacks.  So that's one good thing.  But somebody wants Charles or Sazz or maybe all of the trio dead.

• Like 12
44 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Poor Howard.  He was totally trying to pitch himself as Jonathan's replacement, but Oliver just put himself on stage instead.  Then again, who doesn't want to watch Martin Short belt out some Broadway-style lyrics?!

That one totally shocked me as I expected Howard to get his debut. 

I was surprised at the ending and maybe a little disappointed. It kind of came out of the blue for me but I guess they have the writers back and will have plenty of time to think up a new chapter to this series.

• Like 1

Kudos to all of us who predicted that it was Donna who poisoned Ben, but Cliff who pushed him. This season was easier to predict than last season, but it was because this time we basically had all the clues. The only thing a lot of people guessed that ended up being wrong was Tobert being a witness to the murder and doing nothing.

It was fun seeing Charles and Oliver actually perform (poor Howard, though! He clearly wanted the role), and it's nice that Loretta actually got her big break, including more offers in LA. I hope she and Oliver stay together, because they're really sweet. And Tobert going off to LA to film a movie is a good way to end that relationship, because of course Mabel needs to stay in New York.

The cliffhanger was a jaw-dropper! Poor Sazz. Someone must've mistaken her for Charles. I wonder if killing Sazz has been the writers' plan since season one, what with all the emphasis on how much she acts like Charles.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

So much for "There are only going to be 3 seasons." 

Did someone say only 3 seasons?

I really enjoyed the finale even though I had read the spoilers here.  I didn't mind knowing who killed Ben because of all the accurate speculation.   I only wish I had remained unspoiled about the victim at the end.

I'm happy we got to see Paul Rudd and Meryl Streep singing together although I'm confused about the resolution to that mystery.  Did the nanny do it?

I wonder if we're going to get some episodes in LA next season. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Juneau Gal said:

If someone doesn’t come out with a full production Death Rattle Dazzle, I’ll be very disappointed. 

Me too, I was hoping we'd get a full version of Creatures of the Night and it didn't disappoint.

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

although I'm confused about the resolution to that mystery.  Did the nanny do it?

I think so, but then it might have also been the detective? Just another reason this needs to be a real production so we can get closure haha.

I found the solution to the murder extremely satisfying and perfect for the season. It was so much better than last season's. I prefer my murder mysteries to have clues that point me to the killer clearly. I don't care so much about the actual answer, it's more about the journey for a TV murder. And it says a lot, that I actually felt sorry for Cliff. And I take my hat off to the show for making the Pickwick Triplets the biggest red herring by only have two murderers and not 3.

I admit I gasped when I thought it was Charles who was shot. Kinda relieved he wasn't but poor Sazz. Bring on Season 4, I love this little show.

• Like 17

Somewhat disappointed that there wasn't a final twist but glad they set up next season. I've really enjoyed the Broadway aspect of this season, and the show within a show theme. All of the inner workings of putting on a musical. Much fun!

Can't wait for next season! 

• Like 10
3 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I don't care so much about the actual answer, it's more about the journey for a TV murder. And it says a lot, that I actually felt sorry for Cliff.

I think you can thank two things for that, one is that it was obviously an accident.  It was an argument that got way too heated, he wasn't a murderer, when Mabel confronted him he didn't threaten Mabel or anybody else.  The other thing is a fantastic performance by Wesley Taylor, where he sold it completely that it was an accident and that Cliff was no murderer, and that he was racked with guilt for it.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Like 11
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm happy we got to see Paul Rudd and Meryl Streep singing together although I'm confused about the resolution to that mystery.  Did the nanny do it?

I think the out of town police officer was the one to kill the mother.  He was the father of the child (or now triplets) and the mother ditched him for whatever reason to marry the lighthouse keeper.  He came to the isolated lighthouse to confront her and take his child(ren) and the nanny protected her charge(s) from him.  And somewhere along the way the constable dies.

• Like 4
  • Applause 7
  • Useful 3

And I take my hat off to the show for making the Pickwick Triplets the biggest red herring by only have two murderers and not 3.

The third murderer is the sniper.

I admit I gasped when I thought it was Charles who was shot

Yes. Excellent fake out since we thought Charles was getting the wine/champagne.🍷 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:
7 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Yeah i thought this was going to be the end....

The total surprise of the final scene proves that There Are No Leaks In The Production.👏

4 hours ago, Bill1978 said:

I found the solution to the murder extremely satisfying and perfect for the season

Is there an award for Most Satisfying and Subtly Chekhovian Murderer Reveal?

• Like 5

Well, hats off to those who picked Donna as the poisoner and her son as Ben's pusher.  In the end it did make sense, and although I had considered that option I would have found another more surprising twist more satisfying so I put it aside in favor of the Tobert hypothesis.   

I did predict that neither of these two events might turn out to be a "murder in the building", though.  I kept pounding away at that all season and it turns out I was right about that.  So where's the "murder in the building" this season?  It turns out that it's Sazz, at the very last moment.  I knew that there was plenty of time for the show to produce a real murder, in this case after the other incidents were resolved.

I wonder if LA is going to figure into next season somehow since both Tobert and Loretta are going out there.  Could we not have seen the last of them just yet?  I'm still suspicious of Tobert and I feel like there's another shoe that has to drop yet with him.  Either that or the show will just eliminate him altogether.

Also, I wonder if Sazz's murder was really intended for Charles since it took place in his dark apartment and she WAS dressed just like him. 

Interesting point for NYC fans:  The street scene of the "Gooseberry Theater" was heavily CGI'd to make the background look like midtown Manhattan when the theater they used is in upper Manhattan in Washington Heights.  My husband grew up near that theater and spotted that bit of TV magic right away.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 6

The biggest twist was that Death Rattle Dazzle got a standing ovation and a good review.

I understand that the journey is the pleasure of murder mysteries, but I wish it hadn't been Cliff who pushed Ben down the elevator shaft. I wish it had been a complete surprise, that Donna only thought she was protecting Cliff when she confessed.

Bugs me when people walk into a dark house or apartment and don't turn on a light. I'm sure the sniper thought that was Charles. Doesn't make sense that Sazz was the target since it was Charles' apartment and, of course, that Sazz is his body double. Looks like she started to write something in her blood. 

I'm glad Tobert is leaving. Never cared for this character or the actor.

Hedda Gobbler. Hee.

• Like 8
  • LOL 4

I do think it is funny how Sazz always shows up wearing the same clothes as Charles as if they are perpetually on a TV set.

I partially agree with you on Tobert, but to be honest his entire character was dressed and acted to make him as suspicious as can possibly be. I mean it seems he was added as "suspicious possible murder love interest ......" I forgive him somewhat though when I saw him in that hat. lol

• Like 7
  • Love 1

All I can say is someone needs to check the temperature in Hell because, as my wife can vouch, I actually called this in episode 2.  (I know it wasn't the most convoluted of solutions, but I never get these so allow the old guy a victory lap).

I know the gag is how much Steve Martin and Jane Lynch are made to look alike, but man did they do an exceptional job with shading and subtle changes to costume to make you think for a moment Charles had indeed been shot.

A really great finale.

• Like 15
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I was very confused at the end and kept saying “isn’t this the last season?!!!” I’m glad I’m not the only one!

• Like 1

I absolutely need tickets to Death Rattle Dazzle, it looks like possibly the greatest, most messy play on Broadway. I like many people guessed that Donna would be the poisoner while Cliff was the one who pushed Ben, although a part of me kept thinking it could be Tobert, the clues all added up. I loved this season and I think that this was a solid resolution, I ended up actually feeling pretty sorry for Cliff, he's certainly the most sympathetic killer so far. It really did seem like an accident and even when Mabel confronted him he didn't threaten her or anything, its obvious that he really felt terrible about killing Ben, unlike the others killers who were both terribly cold blooded. 

Matthew Broderick and Una and the snarky duo I never knew I needed. "I'm so glad that I'm not in this." 

Poor Howard, he was so close to his big moment but of course Olivier cant not take the opportunity to be in the spotlight, and the show cant ignore a chance to have Martin Short belt out some tunes. I'm surprised that they never found an excuse for Selena Gomez to sing, but I suppose Mabel isn't really a showtunes kind of girl. Seeing Charles perform was also quite fun, he was really eating up that applause. 

Sazz no! I admit I gasped when I thought they killed Charles and even almost stopped to google if Steve Martin was leaving the show. So the obvious answer is that someone was trying to kill Charles and mistook Sazz for Charles, but I can see a twist where they knew exactly who they were killing, especially about Sazz said that she had something she wanted to talk to Charles about. Season four cant come quickly enough!

Mabel's grossed out reaction to Donna and Cliff kissing killed me, as did Cliff asking Oliver if the mermen who got injured fell from around the same height that he was going to fall from. You've never heard mermen scream like that.

Edited by tennisgurl
Because its mermen!
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

A very nice finale and resolution to an entertaining season. Overall, I much preferred this season over S2. I liked Bunny and the characters of the building in S2, but the musical, resolution, and guest stars made S3 very strong. As a mystery reader who has predicted the murderer before, the journey is what matters. Compared to S2, we got more of the clues which made it more straight forward. I like the character focus on the victims and the murderers in S1 and S3.

I don't think the show would go to LA but I'd like it too just even for the clip of seeing Oliver and Charles ham it up. Speaking of which, I love Martin Short. I laughed out loud when they showed him on stage and knew he'd be the understudy. I am not use to seeing Short in a role where he has a romance and he was very sweet with Loretta. I know Streep said she'd like to stay and I hope we see her again.

I really enjoyed seeing the musical and it allowed for a lot of comedy from the cast.

• Like 7

I’m sad about Sazz but I’m happy that ending means we get at least one more season! And hopefully we see more Jane Lynch, and Scott Bakula has to have at least a cameo with how often he was mentioned this season 😂

• Like 4
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, ajsnaves said:

So we all agree that Scott Bakula fired that shot, right?

I was thinking Joy.

2 minutes ago, paigow said:

Was the sniper asleep when Charles got the wine? Unless Sazz went to a different  apartment. 

OK. I'm confused. I guess I need to rewatch these last couple of minutes.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, paigow said:

Was the sniper asleep when Charles got the wine? Unless Sazz went to a different  apartment. 

I just rewatched this bit. Right after Charles reads the text, they cut to the darkened apartment. Then after the shooting Charles says, "What's taking her so long?," that she better not be drinking that special Malbec. So it looks like in the unseen time betw the text and Sazz going into the apartment, Sazz said she would go get the wine. Charles never left to get it. 

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I just rewatched this bit. Right after Charles reads the text, they cut to the darkened apartment. Then after the shooting Charles says, "What's taking her so long?," that she better not be drinking that special Malbec. So it looks like in the unseen time betw the text and Sazz going into the apartment, Sazz said she would go get the wine. Charles never left to get it. 

Sazz decided to look for wine in total darkness?

ETA: Mabel thought Charles went to get the wine, so Sazz did not make a public declaration.

Dickie probably still holds a grudge about Charles firing Ben from Brazzos. Prime suspect!

Edited by paigow
19 minutes ago, paigow said:

Sazz decided to look for wine in total darkness?

I realize the plot needed a dark apartment but I don’t find it that weird. I walk through my (and my parents’) dark house all the time, so if Sazz knows Charles’s apartment It’s not that strange. Maybe there’s a light in the wine cupboard or sonething.

• Like 5

That was quite a nice finale, although the killer(s) were revealed early on in the episode. I thought too that they were going to do a double-twist to reveal Loretta really did kill Ben, after getting bailed out. Because that would be La Streep's ultimate farewell to the show. But ending on this hopeful and happy note gives an opening for La Streep to be back next season (not that I'm expecting her to, but if they don't break up off-season, I expect Oliver to mention her here and there about filming in LA).

Overall I did enjoy this season very much. I was apprehensive at first when it was reported they're bringing the big guns like Meryl and Paul, but surprisingly, their presence didn't overwhelm the series. All of the episodes still centered the trio very well. I enjoyed the setting of the musical very much, getting Oliver to do what he loves to do, and getting Charles to "act" again, although in some cases, that sort of sidelined Mabel since she's not part of the industry. But still, it always came back to the three of them. I love it!

I would love to see an actual Death Razzle Dazzle musical in NYC!!

Bring on Season 4!

By the way, where does Mabel live now?

• Like 4
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

wish it had been a complete surprise, that Donna only thought she was protecting Cliff when she confessed.

But, to me, that would have stolen the glory of Loretta’s same selfless act.

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Bugs me when people walk into a dark house or apartment and don't turn on a light.

Totally! Although this time it worked for me because it wasn’t her home and it happened pretty fast. IDK. Maybe I’ll change my mind on rewatch. 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The total surprise of the final scene proves that There Are No Leaks In The Production.👏

Except according to an earlier poster (who spoiler-barred it here), someone posted it on Reddit.   And that's a little too specific to just call it random speculation. 

About the only 3 seasons thing, I had read about that somewhere last year already, IIRC.  It was based on how much Martin and Short want to work, since they're both in their 70's.  Also, the first season was supposed to be Mabel's story, the 2nd Charles' story and the 3rd Oliver's story. 

Damn, this show got me to like Jane Lynch and then they kill her off. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

From Rolling Stone's review of the finale:

And if it seems besides the point to dwell so much on the mystery plot of a show starring comedy veterans Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez, it’s for two reasons. The first is that what initially made Only Murders Season One so special was that it worked as both a parody of true-crime podcasts and as a genuinely engaging investigation. The second is that the majority of this season’s jokes didn’t quite land. Yes, Broderick was very funny playing an exaggerated version of himself, and isolated bits were amusing, like Charles going into a fugue state whenever he struggled with the lyrics to the constable’s patter song about the Pickwick triplets. But most of the humor felt labored, which left the mystery as the main reason to keep watching. The plot worked for a while, then fizzled at the end, in a season that really could have used one element that stuck the landing.

The setup for the just-announced fourth season seems promising: Charles’ longtime stand-in Sazz (played, as always, by Jane Lynch) is shot in his apartment while looking for a bottle of liquor. Was the bullet meant for Charles, or did the conversation Sazz wanted to have earlier in the evening mean she was the target? Of course, Rudd’s cameo at the end of Season Two also seemed to set up an exciting run, and that didn’t quite work out this year.

Oh, well. At least Season Four can open with another meta joke about how people still prefer the Tim Kono story to what’s followed.

Find the whole review here

The reviewer says it better than I could, and sounds like he's been reading my mind.  🧐

1 minute ago, Quilt Fairy said:

About the only 3 seasons thing, I had read about that somewhere last year already, IIRC.  It was based on how much Martin and Short want to work, since they're both in their 70's.  Also, the first season was supposed to be Mabel's story, the 2nd Charles' story and the 3rd Oliver's story. 

Damn, this show got me to like Jane Lynch and then they kill her off. 

Also, I've read people thinking that Steve Martin wants out, but he's said that after this project, he's pretty sure he wouldn't want to do anything else. Not that he's tired of OMITB, or ready to quit it. 

• Like 1

What a great and fun resolution.  "I feel like I'm 58 again!"

So two killers indeed.  Mom for the poison and son for the shove.  While this Season has some wheel spinning mid season the pieces came together in the end and Oliver finally got to be the star (poor Howard)

Uma and Broderick Statler and Waldorfing the show was the pairing we didn't realize we needed.

Sadly as soon as Sazz walked into the building I immediately realized she was going to be the next victim.  Let the speculation of the bullet being meant for Charles begin.

• Like 5

The official soundtrack of Season 3 has been updated on Spotify to include not only Creatures of the Night and For The Sake of the Child (both Ben and Oliver's version) but also two songs performed by Jonathan (I assume these are the songs performed at the club and not some 'deleted' songs from the musical).

And it's amazing how I missed the massive spoiler for the killer when I looked at the track listing a couple of week ago. Or maybe I saw it, but my brain refused to acknowledge that it was about the murder.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Affogato said:

I've never heard either of them scream, like that.

The thing about mermen is that I think it's a bit of a play on Ethel Merman...a Broadway legend. 

1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

Find the whole review here

The reviewer says it better than I could, and sounds like he's been reading my mind.  🧐

Usually I agree with Sepinwall but while S1 was probably better constructed overall, I probably had more fun with the backstage musical aspect of this story and Short and Streep were terrific together.

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Emcber said:

I’m sad about Sazz but I’m happy that ending means we get at least one more season! And hopefully we see more Jane Lynch, and Scott Bakula has to have at least a cameo with how often he was mentioned this season 😂

I am fully expecting Scott Bakula to be a suspect at some point next season. Bonus points if he lives in the celebrity guest star apartment. 

When we first saw Donna and Cliff at the start of the season, I suspected one of them would be the killer. Then I got distracted by the theory that Ben was Loretta's son and a twin (or triplet).  Once it was clear Dickie was Loretta's son, I went back to Donna and Cliff. And, by last week, I was pretty convinced Donna was the poisoner and Cliff the pusher. I was a little off on Cliff's part, though. I figured that Ben confronted him, since he was the one who brought him the cookie, thinking he poisoned him, but Cliff realized his mother did it, and he pushed Ben to protect her. Instead, he was just tired of the way Ben treated him. 

I knew Donna was going to use that reprieve they gave her to tell Cliff what was going on, so he'd have a chance to hide. One last attempt to protect him. the show really stuck to the whole maternal love theme for every storyline, including the musical. But, it still managed to be moving and not too cheesy. 

Credit to Meryl Streep for playing Loretta as kind of shady and "off" for most of the season, and then seamlessly switching to a light, happy turn once Loretta was cleared. And her reunion with Dickie was touching and well done. The show really nailed the casting this season. Meryl was flawless, and Paul Rudd, I think, made Ben way more than he could have been. 

Uma and Matthew Broderick being there to hate watch the show was a great comedic touch. 

My theory about what Sazz was there to tell Charles is that Jan is out of prison. That seems, to me, to be the most likely personal issue she'd be coming to him about, considering her relationship with Jan. (Although my son's immediate reaction, before the Bakula text from Joy came through, was "is she there to tell him she's dating Joy now?") So I'm guessing that they'll find out some time next season that Jan is out (or maybe Sazz did tell him before she went to find the Malbec), and she'll be their main suspect, but not the actual killer. I also had an initial fear that Charles will be a suspect, since Oliver and Mabel didn't know where he was for a short time, but it would seem unlikely that he had enough time to get mad at Sazz, leave the building, go across the street, get up high enough to take out someone in his apartment, and take her out. Oh, yeah, and get his hands on a sniper rifle. If he is a suspect at first, that won't last long. It's just too implausible. But Sazz having been there to give him potential bad news could give just a tiny bit of suspicion. Or maybe just Jan accuses Charles of killing Sazz out of jealousy. 

• Like 6
18 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Una and Matthew Broderick were the duo I never knew i wanted until now.

I loved their interactions!

Mabel's silver dress was absolutely stunning!  Selena looked gorgeous!

I sure hope Loretta doesn't bail on the play after one performance!  She should stay for at least a couple of months.  The scene between her and Dickie during the play was so touching.  I got a little teary.

So, did the sniper mean to shoot Sazz or did they think it was Charles?  Enquiring minds can't wait until next season.

• Like 6