Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: My Big Fat Family Secret

• Start Topic

I'm sorry but why didn't Glenn marry Jackie, which would in those days have been the "right thing" to do? (Although it was the late 60s, so birth out of wedlock was starting to be somewhat more accepted, I think. He could have stepped up and parented Angie if Jackie didn't want to keep the baby.) 

Is anyone else not totally buying that Whitney would genuinely be so perky about her dad having another daughter? 

• Like 13
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

I noticed in the preview that Whitney's right there when Glenn and Angie meet.  Seems like she should give them privacy. It's not about her at that moment.

And I feel like it was just glossed over about why no alternatives were taken to the baby being given away.

Edited by JeanJean
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Wait, her Dad kept a journal where he recorded shopping for Whitney's 'panties' & even wrote that he couldn't find any big enough? And she Read that on tv?!  WTH? 

(can we burn the word 'panties' forever, please?)

On the positive side, I'd love to have a porch like that. 

Having someone else wear her Moms wedding dress is creepy to me. Unless it was handed down to someone for their own wedding, but as a costume of sorts? No.

• Like 10

The surprise Babs party was a terrible idea. Glenn was still pretty fragile at that time. And Whitney pilfered Babs's decades-old wedding dress to make one of her friends wear it?! The rest of the costumes were fine--the fish purse and pool stockings, the blonde wig, "not my good sticks!"--all cute and funny. But that wedding dress should never have left Glenn's house, and it absolutely should not have been touched or worn by one of Whitney's satellite friends as a way to joke about her. That should've remained in the preservation box (I presume it was professionally preserved because it was in such great condition) and in Glenn's possession. 

I get that everyone grieves differently, and I believe Glenn asked Whitney for help or at least gave her permission to clean out the house, but she absolutely should've left some clothes of Babs' or something in the closet, so it's not just a barren, empty, stark reminder of her absence.

It's very telling that the only people to show up at that party were Whitney's friends and maybe two relatives.

• Like 9
18 hours ago, JeanJean said:

I'm sorry but why didn't Glenn marry Jackie, which would in those days have been the "right thing" to do? (Although it was the late 60s, so birth out of wedlock was starting to be somewhat more accepted, I think. He could have stepped up and parented Angie if Jackie didn't want to keep the baby.) 

Is anyone else not totally buying that Whitney would genuinely be so perky about her dad having another daughter? 

Well, having watched a lot of Long Lost Family (thanks TLC) I think adoption was pretty common in that time period when the mother was not married. As to why Glenn did not marry  Jackie, I dunno. She was only 18 and I think he said they had only been dating a couple of months and he was being shipped to Japan. Maybe he didn't feel it was the right time for marriage.

As to why he didn't know Angie's whereabouts I think a lot of adoptions in those days were closed  and the birth parents and adoptive parents were told very little about the other party. Sometimes you can have the records opened when the adoptee is an adult but that depends on the state laws. Again, I watched a lot of Long Lost Family. :)

Edited by applewood
misspelling
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

I agree with most saying the party was a bad idea, especially because it was still only a few months after her passing. Maybe waiting another year or so and doing it on Bab's birthday would have been better. I laughed when Whitney said she had to now be in charge of the family, bitch please, you have always been "running" the family. I think even her own brother is about to smack her

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 3

If - a big if - Glenn returned from overseas and learned the baby had been placed for adoption, then not trying to find her and instead allowing her to grow up in her real family was the right thing to do.  

I still don't believe any of the narrative they are trying to sell us. 

1 hour ago, monagatuna said:

t's very telling that the only people to show up at that party were Whitney's friends

Because it was not a Babs Party, it was a Whitney Party.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
16 hours ago, JeanJean said:

We have this same situation going on in my family.  A "son" popped up three years ago.  It has caused marital problems, problems with our kids (who, while they met and like "new son", have had issues with the fact that their father withheld the information about this.  He had never even told his parents as he was one month into being 16 years of age and baby-mama's parents didn't see fit to contact them either.  He was going to the grave with it.    Things are being made worse because his siblings all butt into the situation after the hubs specifically asked them to stay out and have said and done things that are hurtful both to my husband and my 3 kids. It is NOT all smiles in all situations.  

• Hugs 10
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, Pi237 said:

Wait, her Dad kept a journal where he recorded shopping for Whitney's 'panties' & even wrote that he couldn't find any big enough? And she Read that on tv?!  WTH?

Considering that Whitney was a normal weight until college, what age was she when Glenn was buying her granny panties?  So much fakery!

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I laughed when Whitney said she had to now be in charge of the family, bitch please, you have always been "running" the family. I think even her own brother is about to smack her

Me, too. Who asked her to take charge of the family? Who wants her to take charge, other than her? And if she doesn’t want to, then she should stop pushing her family and friends around.

(Go for it, Hunter!)

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
10 hours ago, monagatuna said:

The surprise Babs party was a terrible idea. Glenn was still pretty fragile at that time. And Whitney pilfered Babs's decades-old wedding dress to make one of her friends wear it?! The rest of the costumes were fine--the fish purse and pool stockings, the blonde wig, "not my good sticks!"--all cute and funny. But that wedding dress should never have left Glenn's house, and it absolutely should not have been touched or worn by one of Whitney's satellite friends as a way to joke about her. That should've remained in the preservation box (I presume it was professionally preserved because it was in such great condition) and in Glenn's possession. 

I get that everyone grieves differently, and I believe Glenn asked Whitney for help or at least gave her permission to clean out the house, but she absolutely should've left some clothes of Babs' or something in the closet, so it's not just a barren, empty, stark reminder of her absence.

It's very telling that the only people to show up at that party were Whitney's friends and maybe two relatives.

There again, Glen says Whitney should have left some of Babs' clothes in the closet. He just wanted to see something of hers in the bedroom closet. A few pieces would have been nice and then as he wanted he could give them away/donate them.

When my husband died, I kept a few of his thermal shirts. He has been gone 26 years. In the Winter, I still wear them as pj tops. It makes me remember some really good times.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 12
  • Love 2

I'm with all of you here that the party was tacky and Glenn was not ready for it.  I get the feeling he willingly sacrifices his own comfort in order to help keep the show on the air, though.  Let's face it, Whitney's parents have been complicit in encouraging their daughter's tackiness all in the name of ratings and $$$.

I also don't buy for a minute that this daughter only just popped out of nowhere a few months before Babs's death.  We've had DNA tests for quite a while now and I remember Whitney talking about doing her DNA years ago already.  I just think they kept it under wraps out of respect for Babs's wishes.  I am SURE that Whitney and her father already met the daughter years ago by now.  The timing is all too convenient and suspiciously too soon after Babs's death for it to be anything else.  And it's obvious from the way Whitney is acting on the show that this is not the huge shock she's claiming it is.  She's not the great actress she thinks she is.

2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

There again, Glen says Whitney should have left some of Babs' clothes in the closet. He just wanted to see something of hers in the bedroom closet. A few pieces would have been nice and then as he wanted he could give them away/donate them.

When my husband died, I kept a few of his thermal shirts. He has been gone 26 years. In the Winter, I still wear them as pj tops. It makes me remember some really good times.

I'm with you on that too.  Even when I cleaned out my mother's things I left a few clothes in the closet just for comfort and her jewelry box and makeup/perfumes on her makeup table.  I felt that it would be too much of a shock for all of it to be stripped away and I think my Dad appreciated that.  

I remember I took a few of her prized Ralph Lauren blazers and was able to wear them for a few years before I gained too much weight to fit into them.  I still have them and several of her dresses including her wedding dress.

I'm pretty sure Whitney has a lot of that stuff somewhere in storage.  She could still bring some of it back.  She should but of course will she?  Probably not.  At least the house didn't look stripped to the 4 walls, so I do give her some credit where it's due.

Speaking of Whitney, I love how she said, "Hasn't anyone noticed I lost 40 lbs?"  Somehow it's hard to notice.  Although I did notice her face looked a little thinner in this episode.  I could actually see some jaw definition for the very first time ever.  Good for her, even if it was unintentional.  Maybe her mom's death will be the scare she needs to think about how she can reduce her chances of stroke as she reaches 40.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
On 9/13/2023 at 9:27 AM, mytmo said:

So Glenn never looked into this other daughter?

Right? He KNEW he had a daughter who was put up for adoption, but never mentioned her at any point to his kids. Even when he knew that there would be a possibility of someone in the family locating him via a DNA matching website - nothing.

Then during the family meeting, he sighs, "I know, at some point, I've got to connect with Angie." Well, I really hope that sigh was because he was nervous about being read for filth for keeping Angie's existence hidden like a dirty little secret for so many years.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I'm very sorry for your loss and happy that you still have those wonderful items of his. I used to sleep in my grampy's button-down work shirt when I'd stay over at their place, and pilfered it as a teen and wore it constantly. He died 12 years ago and I still have it in a special place.

There's a big part of me that wants to believe some of Babs' stuff is still in their possession. Whitney had a giant box of clothes (judging from the label) from their house, and I hope he was able to get back some of her things to hang in the closet.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lightninggirl said:

Right? He KNEW he had a daughter who was put up for adoption, but never mentioned her at any point to his kids. Even when he knew that there would be a possibility of someone in the family locating him via a DNA matching website - nothing.

I can't help but think Babs (RIP) had something to do with that. She didn't want any messy situation to upset her perfect southern family and I don't think she did much to encourage Glenn to look in to this. What Babs wanted Babs got. This is my opinion only but Babs didn't strike me as the type of woman that would welcome a long lost daughter of Glenn's in to the family. 

15 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Well, there is the wedding dress! He could hang that in the closet after Whitney's trainer/BFF takes it off her body and gives it back to Whitney. Such a tacky idea to have Jessica wear it in the first place. I can't believe she agreed to it. I couldn't imagine asking anybody to put on my Mothers beautiful dress. Not ever! 

Other thoughts: 

Buddy all of a sudden showing up for episodes, even dragging his fiance with him. He must need the paycheck for his upcoming wedding. 

Tal purchased a house only blocks away from Whit. He seemed a little snotty when talking about it  to the others. Like he was hiding the fact. They had no idea he bought a house. Real good friends these people are. 

Todd, no funny talking heads/confessionals from him. He was so funny in those candid talks. Whitney probably thought he was taking away from her shine. I think he was at the party for a split second in some stupid Babs related costume and that's all we got of him. 

Still no mention of Frenchman which I'm supremely pissed about. She spent an entire season going on about him. She even ruined a vacation with her constant crying because he cancelled his trip to visit her. The viewers had to listen to her never ending poor me, then he's yesterday's news and no one cares to ask her where in the hell he is or where there relationship is. We were so duped.

Is Hunter a regular now? Good for him for also collection a check, just like Buddy. 

The party was totally concocted by production because they needed footage to fill the episode no matter how tacky. 

Apologies for the long post but I have just about had it with the cheap fakery of this show. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

@bichonblitz I totally agree about this show totally fake all around. The only real thing I think we've had was Bab's death and maybe the long lost daughter.

Regarding the wedding gown, I some how don't think that was what Glen had in mind for her clothes in the closet, I think he wanted a few everyday things she would have worn. Speaking of the wedding gown, Whitney was way out of line and totally tacky using it and as a result it is probably ruined. My evil heart thinks Whit doesn't really care, as she will never wear or fit into it.

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I didn't see this episode but I've read through the comments.  One thing I'd like to add is Whitney's total disregard for anyone else re: Bab's wedding gown.

I am sure the vision of Babs in her wedding gown in burned in Glenn's mind in a good way.  It was a special day but let's face it, memories over time may have faded but not that.  It was important to him and something Whitney should have considered before slapping her deceased mothers' wedding gown on a friend.

I am glad I'm skipping this season.  The manufactured drama is just too much for me.

I still think something is developmentally stunted with her.  She has no regard for the feelings of others and goes about her day as if she's the center of the universe.

Just like a spoiled toddler.

On 9/13/2023 at 12:36 PM, Quof said:

I still don't believe any of the narrative they are trying to sell us. 

This times 1000. The narrative AND the time line. Calling total shenanigans on this. 

Edited by BAForever
  • Like 4

Conventional wisdom/the general consensus is that Whitney is using Ozempic or something similar to lose weight.  One doesn't just suddenly lose 40 pounds at age 40 after years of supposedly trying.  She'll never admit it, though; it's her Big Fat FABULOUS Life!

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
On 9/12/2023 at 9:19 PM, JeanJean said:

Haha she's perky about having a storyline to carry another season! 😄

On 9/13/2023 at 10:22 AM, auntjess said:

I recorded this, but don't think I'll bother watching, unless just to see what his other daughter looks like.

And to watch his granddaughter be a total bitch to Whit!!! That's why I'm hanging around 🤣

On 9/13/2023 at 7:18 PM, Elizzikra said:

When was this? It's still unusual for a bio dad to take custody of a child when the bio mom wants to place it for adoption, but in the late 60's/early 70's, it would have been nearly unheard of. 

Glenn and Babs' wedding photo said 1977, so several years before that at least.

7 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Still no mention of Frenchman which I'm supremely pissed about. She spent an entire season going on about him. She even ruined a vacation with her constant crying because he cancelled his trip to visit her. The viewers had to listen to her never ending poor me, then he's yesterday's news and no one cares to ask her where in the hell he is or where there relationship is. We were so duped.

Were we?  😄. I wasn't.  Where's her personal training certificate? Where's her fitness app?  Isn't that what Lennie is her "employee" for?  Is he now just a Guy Friday to help her with her busy, busy life?  

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Omg..whit's so pushy pushy pushy!   I was thinking in my head, as a joke, that she'd have a cardboard cut out life size of Babs.  And sure enough there actually was!! Plus a life size body pillow!    Geez....let him grieve, breathe!   How's he gonna move on if all he sees is Babs wherever he looks?  It's overkill.  She wants to control his every moment.  Then she takes all of Babs stuff out of his house and closets and he's like  wtf?   I see for next week when Glen is talking with Angie online, Whit is leaning over in front of the screen with her big ummm,.... big head right there doing all the talking, loud as ever.   Like give Glen some freaking privacy,  room to talk to his newly found daughter..  I had to ff through most of this episode.   She was just so annoying.

Oh,  and Lenny needs to grow his hair long.  I was like ,  who's that good looking new guy!! 😘  (But I'm partial to long hair on guys 😁)

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
23 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Speaking of Whitney, I love how she said, "Hasn't anyone noticed I lost 40 lbs?"  Somehow it's hard to notice.  Although I did notice her face looked a little thinner in this episode.  I could actually see some jaw definition for the very first time ever.  Good for her, even if it was unintentional.  Maybe her mom's death will be the scare she needs to think about how she can reduce her chances of stroke as she reaches 40.

3 hours ago, Dibs said:

Conventional wisdom/the general consensus is that Whitney is using Ozempic or something similar to lose weight.  One doesn't just suddenly lose 40 pounds at age 40 after years of supposedly trying.  She'll never admit it, though; it's her Big Fat FABULOUS Life!

Didn't we have scene after scene over the past couple seasons where Whitney declared that she wasn’t thinking about weight loss, that she was concentrating on her training and weight lifting? That weight loss was good but it wasn't a priority? She got kinda cranky about the topic, if I’m remembering right.

I wonder what drove the turnaround? Not that it isn’t a good idea!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

I am sure the vision of Babs in her wedding gown in burned in Glenn's mind in a good way.  It was a special day but let's face it, memories over time may have faded but not that.  It was important to him and something Whitney should have considered before slapping her deceased mothers' wedding gown on a friend.

Especially since that wedding gown was in such good condition for its age that it HAD to have been preserved, which meant it was taken out of a box specifically designed to preserve it.  Although I did just read that the gown can be worn again after preservation, but it would have to be preserved again afterward.  And who would want to risk that something would happen to it while it was being worn?  I wouldn't want to do that with my mother's wedding gown!  But all in the name of TV ratings on this show!  Nothing is too sacred to desecrate on this show!  I'm sure Glenn knew all about it beforehand and probably was OK with it.  They're all acting, nothing is a surprise to anyone on this show.

2 hours ago, LeesburgLee said:

Didn't we have scene after scene over the past couple seasons where Whitney declared that she wasn’t thinking about weight loss, that she was concentrating on her training and weight lifting? That weight loss was good but it wasn't a priority? She got kinda cranky about the topic, if I’m remembering right.

Like I said above, I think she might be getting "religion" with her health now that she's pushing 40 and her mother just died of a stroke.  Losing weight is the single biggest thing she can do to reduce her chances of stroke and seeing a close family member die of something you might also inherit the tendency for is huge motivation to do anything you can to prevent it.

In my case, obesity runs on my mother's side of the family in the women post-menopause.  Despite my best efforts to avoid it I gained weight after menopause and have had all hell to keep it under control.  My mother died of a stroke at Babs's age and I'm sure her extreme obesity contributed.  My poor mother had to have her thyroid removed (fortunately I don't have that problem).  And like me she was very sensitive to medication so they could never give her enough thyroid hormone to help regulate her weight afterward.  So her weight shot up and nothing she did helped!

Seeing your mother go through these things is very hard and has been HUGE motivation for me to do whatever I can to prevent suffering a similar fate.  It might have taken Babs's death to finally get through to Whitney.  Ozempic or not, I'm sure the stress of her mother's death alone might have helped her lose some weight.  I WISH I could take something like Ozempic to help me lose weight but I'm too sensitive to take many drugs.  I joined a medical weight loss program last year that tried to put me on Metformin but it made me sick to my stomach.  Whitney is LUCKY if she can use Ozempic to help her lose weight.  I'm stuck with doing it the hard way which is also not as effective in my case, but at least I have been able to lose and keep off 25 lbs. since last year.  It has made ALL the difference in my bloodwork and my doctors are thrilled with me.  I no longer have fatty liver and my cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar are all normal or close to normal.   And at my age (65) I really needed to do that!

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • Applause 2

During the show I heard someone say the long lost daughter was 53.  She would have been born in 69 or 70, depending on her birth month and exactly when the show was shot.  I'm that age and I think closed adoptions were the most common type.

Question for those who are upset about the wedding dress - what would you envision as the final disposition for a box-preserved dress of a person who has passed away?  Whitney's size is exceptional so obviously she would never wear it but given that it is a nearly 50 yo dress with a dated style, probably no other similarly situated daughter would either.  It seems like people feel it isn't being treated with the proper eternal reverence but really, what is the best outcome?

Full disclosure, I've been married nearly 30 years, my wedding dress is (unpreserved) in a storage container and I don't imagine I'll ever do anything with it other than recycle it or bulk donate it when I move out of this house in a few years.  Maybe I'm just unsentimental but I wasn't that troubled by them using it for what was essentially a costume party?

• Like 3

Oh, I am WAY too sentimental to ever get rid of my wedding gown.  Given that my dear departed mother made it for me by hand 43 years ago, it's of very great value to me.  I also still have my mother's wedding gown.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

I didn't see this episode but I've read through the comments.  One thing I'd like to add is Whitney's total disregard for anyone else re: Bab's wedding gown.

I am glad I'm skipping this season.  The manufactured drama is just too much for me.

I still think something is developmentally stunted with her.  She has no regard for the feelings of others and goes about her day as if she's the center of the universe.

Just like a spoiled toddler.

This!! 1000%. I refuse to watch this shitshow any more!!  Of course, I still read about it here but I'm just NOT doing it to myself again. Done. Stick a fork in it.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, suev3333 said:

Oh,  and Lenny needs to grow his hair long.  I was like ,  who's that good looking new guy!! 😘  (But I'm partial to long hair on guys 😁)

I'm like you, long hair on a guy is an easy way to get attention from me. But I'm pretty sure there's not a single hair on that head. I don't think Lenny could grow hair if he tried--hence, the overcompensating beard (which is also pulling triple duty covering for the chin and the lips).

7 hours ago, janey99 said:

Question for those who are upset about the wedding dress - what would you envision as the final disposition for a box-preserved dress of a person who has passed away?  Whitney's size is exceptional so obviously she would never wear it but given that it is a nearly 50 yo dress with a dated style, probably no other similarly situated daughter would either.  It seems like people feel it isn't being treated with the proper eternal reverence but really, what is the best outcome?

Full disclosure, I've been married nearly 30 years, my wedding dress is (unpreserved) in a storage container and I don't imagine I'll ever do anything with it other than recycle it or bulk donate it when I move out of this house in a few years.  Maybe I'm just unsentimental but I wasn't that troubled by them using it for what was essentially a costume party?

Sorry for the double post, but I figured I'd add my two cents. I'm like you, not particularly sentimental, and my dress is casual enough to wear on a night out to a fancy dinner--it's not a typical wedding dress. It's hanging in my closet, unprotected. I've worn it out a few times since the wedding. Someday I may get rid of it. 

But Babs is not me. Neither is Glenn. I can't imagine them being OK with this. Even though I'm not very sentimental about my dress, I still wouldn't want one of my kid's hangers-on to parade around in it at my "memorial surprise party." For them to have hung on to that dress for so long--and it had to have been preserved to look that good, some 45 years later--it means something to them. 

The only way I could even possibly get behind this was if the dress was a replica, and even then it's still in poor taste.

Edit: Wow, my replies were merged! This site is smarter than me. I couldn't figure out how to do it.

:)

Edited by monagatuna
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, janey99 said:

Question for those who are upset about the wedding dress - what would you envision as the final disposition for a box-preserved dress of a person who has passed away?  

I guess that would depend on who has the rights to the dress.  If Babs willed the dress to Whitney then I suppose it’s hers to do with as she wishes. 

If there was no mention in the will I assume it belongs to Glenn and he can do what he’d like with it…

Again, I did not see the show but the words costume party, daughters friend wearing recently deceased mothers wedding gown and grieving widower brings to mind that perhaps some consideration should have been measured on Whitney’s part during this difficult time.  

If course when it comes to others’ wedding dressing that is neither my concern or interest as to what happens to them.  My comments are based on this situation being disguised as entertainment.   

I stand by my position that Whitney’s developmentally stunted and that’s part of the reason why everyone gives in to her whims. 

I haven’t watched this mess of a season, but wasn’t Glenn in the military when the kid was born?  Why didn’t he marry the mom and at least claim them as dependents so they could have some money to live on while he’s away?

I guess they don’t care about the wedding dress because it’s not like Whitney will ever wear it and Glenn seems to have no problem doing anything to keep this stupid show running.  Which one of the barnacles wore the wedding dress? Heather? 

Why is Glenn always trying to buy Whitney panties? I feel like she’s posted texts of him on IG asking about buying her panties or he couldn’t find her panties at the store or something.  Has Whitney never heard of the interwebz, you know where you can buy just about anything online 🙄

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

I haven’t watched this mess of a season, but wasn’t Glenn in the military when the kid was born?  Why didn’t he marry the mom and at least claim them as dependents so they could have some money to live on while he’s away?

I guess they don’t care about the wedding dress because it’s not like Whitney will ever wear it and Glenn seems to have no problem doing anything to keep this stupid show running.  Which one of the barnacles wore the wedding dress? Heather? 

Why is Glenn always trying to buy Whitney panties? I feel like she’s posted texts of him on IG asking about buying her panties or he couldn’t find her panties at the store or something.  Has Whitney never heard of the interwebz, you know where you can buy just about anything online 🙄

I assume they didn't want to get married, so she went off the the "girls' home" and gave the baby up for adoption as was done in those days.

The dress:  Jessica wore it.  I don't think what they did is so bad, but for me the long blue hair ruined it.  She should have worn Lenny's wig!

I don't know the answer to your last question - my dad neither buys me underwear nor uses the word "panties" and I am grateful for both of those things 😄

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

If Whitney ever needs to understand why many people think she is insufferable, arrogant, and a control freak, the answer is on display in full in this episode...Whitney can't even manage to grieve and let others do the same without reverting to this really bad form for an adult.  I can hear the cries of it's all overemphasized by the edit, but no f'ing way.

Glenn seems very fragile and probably should have laid out for this season.  But no Glenn and no season I suppose.  

Seems we're going to get touches of The Simple Life soon enough (oh I can't wait to see the cow-milking!) and even more nods toward An American Family with the exploitation of Glenn's sorrow.  Dare I say bring back the dancing???  Please???

The costume part of the surprise party was awful and yes creepy.  The friends are practically phoning it in this season, and seem tired of the whole charade at this point.

Maybe the upcoming cow will do well enough to get a spinoff with Whitney and company nowhere in sight.  That would be a damn sight better than the last few seasons of this awful high school production.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

On 9/13/2023 at 2:41 AM, SDVegas said:

But - those were daiquiris, not margaritas!

To be fair, they said "frozen margaritas". Those could easily have been frozen strawberry margaritas.

On 9/13/2023 at 10:46 AM, Pi237 said:

Having someone else wear her Moms wedding dress is creepy to me. Unless it was handed down to someone for their own wedding, but as a costume of sorts? No.

That was not Babs' dress!  If you take a look at the dress as Jessica wore it, the sleeves are different. Jessica's sleeves are fully formed and come down close to her elbow.  If you look at the picture they show of Babs coming down the wedding aisle, her bare arms are exposed all the way to the top, so either her sleeves have a slit (and the sleeve material is behind her) or there are no sleeves at all...either way, that is different from Jessica's dress.  Plus Jessica is bigger than Babs was at the time of her wedding and would not have been able to fit it. I tried to look at how the dress fell and material, but there is sort of a glare on the dress in Babs' pic, so you can't tell for sure...but it appears to look like the material is smooth in Babs' pic, but there was a textured layer over the top on Jessica's dress.

On 9/13/2023 at 1:35 PM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I laughed when Whitney said she had to now be in charge of the family, bitch please, you have always been "running" the family.

What made this so egregious, is that the party was her idea, so she was hardly being in charge of the family. Hunter appears to do just fine on his own, without needing Whit's interference help.

22 hours ago, Dibs said:

18 hours ago, LeesburgLee said:

I had noticed in her face that Whitney had lost weight and told my husband, but also told him that she can't make it seem intentional because she was so extreme about HAES. In reality, what probably drove the turnaround, as much or more than any scare about Babs, is that taking Ozempic seems to be pretty easy and successful. Whit was never willing to actually do anything to lose weight (after that initial 100 that she gained back), so she had to make it seem like it was unimportant to her at the time, and unimportant now. It will be interesting to see what she says if the weight loss gets more significant.

• Like 3

Question for those who are upset about the wedding dress - what would you envision as the final disposition for a box-preserved dress of a person who has passed away?  Whitney's size is exceptional so obviously she would never wear it but given that it is a nearly 50 yo dress with a dated style, probably no other similarly situated daughter would either.  It seems like people feel it isn't being treated with the proper eternal reverence but really, what is the best outcome?

That's an excellent question. I preserved my dress and I have no idea why. I knew at the time that the odds were excellent that, for a whole variety of reasons, my daughter will never wear it. The preservation people did suggest that I also preserve some of the lace trim separately (which I did) in case she someday wants to incorporate that into her wedding outfit, should she ever marry. And I'd be fine with her cutting it up to make something else entirely. 

I have seen some current brides take mom's old dress and make a dressing gown out of it to wear while they are getting ready on the wedding day and I think that's a lovely idea. But really, the only reason I held onto my dress, and paid to preserve it, was some vague notion of sentimentality. 

I think it was weird to have a party in which people dressed up as Babs, Wedding Babs or otherwise. And I can't imagine hanging out in a wedding dress all night was comfortable. 

what probably drove the turnaround, as much or more than any scare about Babs, is that taking Ozempic seems to be pretty easy and successful.

I take Ozempic. It's expensive (about $900/month if you don't have insurance or your insurance doesn't cover it). It can be really hard to find because of the high demand. I have had some unpleasant side effects, though not as bad as I have heard about and not intolerable. I haven't really lost weight but it's only been three weeks. And I do actually have diabetes and it is effective in helping control my blood sugar. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
3 hours ago, princelina said:

I assume they didn't want to get married, so she went off the the "girls' home" and gave the baby up for adoption as was done in those days.

The dress:  Jessica wore it.  I don't think what they did is so bad, but for me the long blue hair ruined it.  She should have worn Lenny's wig!

I don't know the answer to your last question - my dad neither buys me underwear nor uses the word "panties" and I am grateful for both of those things 😄

Oh yeah, I forgot about Jessica.  Your dad is a good man 😊

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

True, and it has to be really hard to find "panties" in her size in a store.  When I was a size 10 even that size was hard to find and that's not even half as big as Whitney would need!

8 hours ago, princelina said:

If any of this is true about Glenn buying her panties, it's obvious where she gets her lack of boundaries from.  I think I would be mortified if my Dad wanted to buy me something as personal as panties and thankfully he never would have volunteered to do so!

• Like 4
8 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

That was not Babs' dress!  If you take a look at the dress as Jessica wore it, the sleeves are different. Jessica's sleeves are fully formed and come down close to her elbow.  If you look at the picture they show of Babs coming down the wedding aisle, her bare arms are exposed all the way to the top, so either her sleeves have a slit (and the sleeve material is behind her) or there are no sleeves at all...either way, that is different from Jessica's dress.  Plus Jessica is bigger than Babs was at the time of her wedding and would not have been able to fit it. I tried to look at how the dress fell and material, but there is sort of a glare on the dress in Babs' pic, so you can't tell for sure...but it appears to look like the material is smooth in Babs' pic, but there was a textured layer over the top on Jessica's dress.

I guess I assumed that it was Babs's actual dress and that it had been preserved perfectly, but it did look too new to be 45 years old (and it fit Jessica a little too perfectly), so you might be right!  I do know from looking at photos from Glenn and Babs's wedding that the original dress had a slit in the sleeve area and at times it looked sleeveless, plus the dress does indeed have a lace overlay all the way down.  If I can find a way to compare the two dresses I will and see if I see what you saw.  I can't find any photos online right now of Jessica wearing the dress she wore in this episode.

By the way I got married in 1980 and my bridesmaids' gowns had a similar effect on top with a lace overlay and the slits at the shoulders.

BTW, Glenn has come out publicly to defend criticism of Whitney for planning and holding the party and having Jessica wear the dress.  So what I said previously about them all being in on it together and Glenn being OK with appears  to be true.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

I think Glenn is happy to go along with the nonsense for both the check, publicity.  Plus, Whitney was probably constantly doing things to embarrass or shock her parents so I guess he figures he might as well get paid for it.

Sorry for so many questions, but was the party just people dressing up as different versions of Babs?  If so, that sounds extremely weird and did they mention Le Blur or the “love triangle” with Lennie?

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Sorry for so many questions, but was the party just people dressing up as different versions of Babs?  If so, that sounds extremely weird and did they mention Le Blur or the “love triangle” with Lennie?

I think the answer to your first question is "yes" and as for the second, "no" to any mention of LeBlur but she did mention that she and Lennie, despite sharing a kiss last season are destined to be platonic friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve tapped out of this season so far. Couldn’t watch anything about Babs because I lost my mother in February and my grief is still raw. I have a feeling this may trigger me a bit. That said - I’m happy for this forum so I can keep up with what our oh-so “fabulous” girl is pretending to be/do/become now. Whatever happened to this personal trainer arc? Did she realize she couldn’t fake it until she makes it with that? Or did someone finally fill her in that no one wants a 400lb braying toddler as a trainer? Also - I hope that the story about Babs not allowing Glenn contact with his daughter is not true. If it is, then Glenn is the world’s biggest simp and I can see where Twit gets her narcissism. 

• Like 4
  • Hugs 2
17 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

That was not Babs' dress

Didn't Whitney say, 'Moms first dress' to her Dad? Maybe she changed for the reception? Im not going to re-watch to check, but you're right. That looked like a different dress from the picture.

19 hours ago, CainF said:

Dare I say bring back the dancing???  Please???

Oh it's coming! 😄

7 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

It was just a gathering with candles and photos and them talking about her, and each of the friends was tasked with making one of her special recipes for the food.  Then at the end they did a little "fashion show" where everyone was Babs - other than Jessica and her husband in wedding garb, it was mostly scenes of Babs from the show - Heather wore a bathing suit with pantyhose and the fish purse, Todd wore her rainbow tutu from when they attended a "pride" parade, Ashley dressed like Hula Babs from the Hawaii trip, and Tal wore a black dress and blonde wig from when Babs and Glen had a "date night".  I feel like Buddy and his gal did something too but I forget, and the Lennie came out in a black curly wig being that "Babs emerging from the water modeling photo" and Whitney dumped a bucket of water on him. They didn't sit around in the costumes all evening, and Glen seemed to enjoy it.  On the scale of Whit's Awfulness I rate it pretty low 😄. (Excepting of course for her bossiness and ranting that everyone would be late, but I do think that's "production" to give us the suspense factor 🙄)

Lennie is claiming to have a girlfriend and be Whitney's "employee".  Frenchman has gone the way of her personal training certificate and radio career - say nothing and we'll forget we ever heard of it!  😄

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1