Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: My Big Fat Family Secret

• Start Topic

On 9/15/2023 at 8:14 AM, janey99 said:

During the show I heard someone say the long lost daughter was 53.  She would have been born in 69 or 70, depending on her birth month and exactly when the show was shot.  I'm that age and I think closed adoptions were the most common type.

Question for those who are upset about the wedding dress - what would you envision as the final disposition for a box-preserved dress of a person who has passed away?  Whitney's size is exceptional so obviously she would never wear it but given that it is a nearly 50 yo dress with a dated style, probably no other similarly situated daughter would either.  It seems like people feel it isn't being treated with the proper eternal reverence but really, what is the best outcome?

Full disclosure, I've been married nearly 30 years, my wedding dress is (unpreserved) in a storage container and I don't imagine I'll ever do anything with it other than recycle it or bulk donate it when I move out of this house in a few years.  Maybe I'm just unsentimental but I wasn't that troubled by them using it for what was essentially a costume party?

I remember hearing them say 1968.

• Like 1
On 9/13/2023 at 11:48 AM, monagatuna said:

And Whitney pilfered Babs's decades-old wedding dress to make one of her friends wear it?!

Yes I agree that was in such bad taste. A Wedding dress is something far too personal & to be treasured as a keepsake!

• Like 1
On 9/15/2023 at 6:49 PM, LuvMyShows said:

That was not Babs' dress!  If you take a look at the dress as Jessica wore it, the sleeves are different. Jessica's sleeves are fully formed and come down close to her elbow.  If you look at the picture they show of Babs coming down the wedding aisle, her bare arms are exposed all the way to the top, so either her sleeves have a slit (and the sleeve material is behind her) or there are no sleeves at all...either way, that is different from Jessica's dress.  Plus Jessica is bigger than Babs was at the time of her wedding and would not have been able to fit it. I tried to look at how the dress fell and material, but there is sort of a glare on the dress in Babs' pic, so you can't tell for sure...but it appears to look like the material is smooth in Babs' pic, but there was a textured layer over the top on Jessica's dress.

I just wanted you to know that I went back and looked at this episode again and you're right, it can't be Babs's dress because the lace shrug Jessica is wearing is not the same as the one Babs wore.  Jessica's has a split in the front with some kind of pearl colored button at the top/center and no slits at the arms.  Babs's dress had no split in the front and slits in the arms plus there were beading or button accents at the shoulders - 3 on each side on top across her shoulders.

It would simply not be possible for the dress underneath to be Babs's either because there is no way they could match the color that perfectly after 45 years.  And of course the dress looks too new to be 45 years old preserved or not.  So you are absolutely right!  If I wasn't sick this week I might have noticed that myself.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  😉

Thanks for bringing that out!

• Like 2

In 1968 Glenn was stationed in Pensacola prior to being sent to Japan. While in Florida he met and dated Jackie. As he was being deployed to Japan Jackie told him she was pregnant. I don't think you can ask the Marines to wait a couple more days so you can marry your pregnant girlfriend, so he shipped out. Pregnancies outside of marriage were still a big deal in 1968. Jackie's mom was upset. Jackie went to a home and the baby (Angie) was adopted. By the time Angie found out about Jackie, Jackie had died. Babs knew about Angie, but had the stroke before knowing she'd found Glenn.

I thought the party was a bad idea until I saw Glenn's reaction. He genuinely seemed to be enjoying it. We teach men to repress their feelings and Glenn is no exception. I doubt he's had much chance to just talk about Babs. When he saw the wedding couple he lit up and shared a memory of that day. Regardless of how someone feels about her own wedding dress, Babs' dress did a lot more good at the party than it would have if it remained in the box.

They, meaning production and the family, were in a tough spot for this season. Show too much about Babs and be accused of exploiting her, show too little and be criticized for forgetting about her. As bad as I feel for these folks, I don't find their grief entertaining and this episode bored me.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

I thought the party was a bad idea until I saw Glenn's reaction. He genuinely seemed to be enjoying it. We teach men to repress their feelings and Glenn is no exception. I doubt he's had much chance to just talk about Babs. When he saw the wedding couple he lit up and shared a memory of that day. Regardless of how someone feels about her own wedding dress, Babs' dress did a lot more good at the party than it would have if it remained in the box.

Yes, I was glad to see that Glenn really enjoyed the party.  He deserves some joy now.
It will be interesting to see how Angie and the Thores connect, if they do.

• Like 1