Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, secnarf said:

I believe James Cook was an asterisk - one contestant didn't participate and the other two said Magellan and Lewis.

That'll teach me to hurry up and post!  Thank you for pointing it out. It was nagging at me, so somewhere in the back of my mind I knew something was wrong.

I know you will all keep me accurate when I blow it - and I really appreciate it!

@Bliss this means you have 1* this week!

I got 1 this week - I'm thinking baguettes or Tootsie Rolls (I don't know what the flavor is, but it's nostalgic for me)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Week : 1/5, no *

YTD: 18/45, one *  

"From last week: After 3 for week one, I've been very consistent with 2 per week. Hope I can improve!* I didn't improve, in fact I went down. :-(

33 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Yaay Friday! 1/5. Ms. Arc saved me from a shutout.

Yep, me as well!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

1/5 (Faulkner)

It looks like the breadsticks are covered, so upon request I will bring a plate of Bavarian Cream Bismarcks. (This one’s for you, chicagofan!) I decided it fits, because One starts with O and that’s the precise shape of these little treats. 

IMG_0494.jpeg.5ff65510187a1b10ad67080a32adfa59.jpeg

It will also be the precise shape of my midsection after I eat one of these, but who cares, it’s the holidays! 😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
13 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

1/5 (Faulkner)

It looks like the breadsticks are covered, so upon request I will bring a plate of Bavarian Cream Bismarcks. (This one’s for you, chicagofan!) I decided it fits, because One starts with O and that’s the precise shape of these little treats. 

IMG_0494.jpeg.5ff65510187a1b10ad67080a32adfa59.jpeg

It will also be the precise shape of my midsection after I eat one of these, but who cares, it’s the holidays! 😁

My grocery store had a free donut coupon (I don't normally buy donuts) and I chose the Bavarian Cream...Oh My! Looking forward to the virtual donuts.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4/5 with one* - I don't know where my brain went on Monday, but it got me nowhere near Battle Hymn of the Republic/Grapes of Wrath.  I was over in "This Land is Your Land" territory and trying desperately to tie it to Steinbeck.  (However, since I read the correct answer, I have had the Allen Sherman parody "Glory, Glory, Harry Lewis" running through my head to make me laugh repeatedly so I can't be too unhappy).

The rest of the week was made up of lucky guesses, but I will take them.   Since I am making one for Thanksgiving next week anyway, I will bring a Michigan salad with dried cherries, gorgonzola, apple and pecans.  Everything else mentioned so far sounds scrumptious by the way.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

Week 9: 2/5, no *.

For the Mexican Square clue, I actually said the following: 'Trippoli, if only because I can't remember Ethopia's capital right now.'

Alas.

I'm making a French onion galette to have with dinner tomorrow night, so I'll bring some of that along.

k_Photo_Recipes_2021-02-french-onion-galette_2021-02-16_ATK42582.jpg

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
5 hours ago, dankesean said:

Week 9: 2/5, no *.

For the Mexican Square clue, I actually said the following: 'Trippoli, if only because I can't remember Ethopia's capital right now.'

Alas.

I'm making a French onion galette to have with dinner tomorrow night, so I'll bring some of that along.

k_Photo_Recipes_2021-02-french-onion-galette_2021-02-16_ATK42582.jpg

I am so happy that I'm at the table for two this week. Yum!

• Like 5

Sorry this is late.

Week 10 – Nov. 13   One Asterisk
46.     ICONIC BRANDS - In 1916 it began packaging its flagship product in a variety of glass called Georgia green (Coca Cola)
47.     HISTORIC OBJECTS - The inscription on this, made in 1753, concludes, "unto all the inhabitants thereof" (Liberty Bell)
48.     *WASHINGTON, D.C. - It was proposed in Congress in 1926 in honor of a big 150th anniversary; it opened 17 years later (Jefferson Memorial)
49.     POETS - 1793 reports of the killing of Hector Munro by a wild animal in India may have inspired one of this man's best-known poems (William Blake)
50.     LITERARY CHARACTERS - In his first appearance in 1902, he was described as "betwixt-and-between" a boy & a bird (Peter Pan)

• Thanks 4
16 hours ago, opus said:

Ripping the bandage off quickly. 0/5

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Two weeks in a row for me:
Week 10: 0/5

I should have been able to at least come up with Peter Pan today.

Don't worry - you aren't going where no one else has been. Besides, it's the donut table! 😃

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Week 10 : 4/5, one *

YTD: 22/50, two *  

"From previous weeks: "After 3 for week one, I've been very consistent with 2 per week. Hope I can improve!* I didn't improve, in fact I went down. :-(""

I did improve this week. My best week this season! Not sure how that happened, but I'll take it!

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

Reading the breakdown of this week's clues, I see that Jefferson Memorial was a TS. That was my only correct response of the week, so I'd like to revise my score to include the asterisk. I feel ridiculous doing this, but realizing I got a TS, cushions the blow of a one for five week just a little bit. 

Week 10:  1/5, 1*

Apologies for the extra work, @Clanstarling.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

It seems possible to buy William Blake "Milk Chocolate Dipped Oreo® Cookie Pops, Confetti"

image.thumb.png.dc2052a1137e0158d321d1c1a5d6266c.png
As seen on Pinterest: pin.it/ECqVj1w 
Purchase on Zazzle: www.zazzle.com/z/a1oeexw2

In the last moments of the think music on Thursday I could almost summon up a faded memory of a William Blake book, but not the name. 
I kept thinking about it, and then, out of the blue (or perhaps after imbibing much alcohol?) the owner of that book in the 1970s facebook Messengered me at 2am a long text about places and music we had shared back then. 
William Blake would have approved.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Reading the breakdown of this week's clues, I see that Jefferson Memorial was a TS. That was my only correct response of the week, so I'd like to revise my score to include the asterisk. I feel ridiculous doing this, but realizing I got a TS, cushions the blow of a one for five week just a little bit. 

Week 10:  1/5, 1*

Apologies for the extra work, @Clanstarling.

Oh, it was so much extra work - putting one number in one column! (it was easy peasy). No worries, I'd rather have things right than have someone not let me know there's been an error.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

4/5 with one * - I missed the Liberty Bell (in retrospect, I realized I had no idea when it was made other than it was pre-Revolutionary War).  All the rest were lucky guesses.  

I will bring a big bowl of strawberry jello (another Grundoon Thanksgiving staple).  I can't really tie it into anything clue wise but I did read recently that strawberries may improve memory and cognitive function.  That's my story and I am sticking to it.  

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I will bring a big bowl of strawberry jello (another Grundoon Thanksgiving staple).  I can't really tie it into anything clue wise but I did read recently that strawberries may improve memory and cognitive function.  That's my story and I am sticking to it.  

I saw a thing on the interwebs the other day where they made jello in a deviled egg tray and topped with whipped cream. And eggs are good for your brain. So.

image.png.fa72845f9a14d6eef392eba00bf3e73d.png

• Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • LOL 2