Type keyword(s) to search

Season 40 Final Jeopardy Contest

Clanstarling
  • Start Topic

Week three was another subpar week, 2/5, no *.

Though really, I have to wonder, if 2/5 has been my consistent score for the last three weeks, if I can really consider that 'subpar' or just 'par' for me at the moment....

I'll distract myself from that bit of self reflection and instead focus on the Guinness and lamb stew I'll be bringing.

lambstew.jpg

• Like 9
  • Fire 2

3/5 with no * - I am chagrined to have missed Burr but I had too many names flying around my head and I don't think I normally associate him with the Senate.  Also missed the fleece. 

All the food sounds yummy so I will offer up a beverage - tea both hot and iced (October is starting off in the 80s in Michigan) to enjoy with the meals.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 2
40 minutes ago, dankesean said:

Though really, I have to wonder, if 2/5 has been my consistent score for the last three weeks, if I can really consider that 'subpar' or just 'par' for me at the moment....

I'll distract myself from that bit of self reflection and instead focus on the Guinness and lamb stew I'll be bringing.

lambstew.jpg

Wow. I'll be right over for some stew!

And I f'love 🥰 the concept of any score that is average for a game player being "par" for that player. 
I am at least going to apply this to Wordle. 

• Like 6
18 hours ago, dankesean said:

lambstew.jpg

I have you down for 3 for the first week, and double checked with your post that week. So...maybe just enjoy the stew and put off the self reflection. 😉

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Planning to bring a tin of Heroes - they're little so you can can have as few or as many as you want.  In fact, have at it - they are after all, in this context, both guilt- and calorie-free.  (I thought about bring Quality Street, but then I wouldn't want to share the purple ones, which is a little ungracious.)

image.png.648e91849c97f3a081d2b4060ec28d69.png

• Thanks 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Ancaster said:

Planning to bring a tin of Heroes - they're little so you can can have as few or as many as you want.  In fact, have at it - they are after all, in this context, both guilt- and calorie-free.  (I thought about bring Quality Street, but then I wouldn't want to share the purple ones, which is a little ungracious.)

image.png.648e91849c97f3a081d2b4060ec28d69.png

There's not many of the purple ones for a reason.

Fiona always gets me 2 of Heroes tubs for xmas but they don't last long.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
5 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Week 4:  3/5. (T, W, Th)

@ams1001 I'm sneaking over to your table for some of those homemade meatballs and spaghetti! I'll bring a couple of loaves of semolina bread and the Parmigiano Reggiano. 😋

Fun fact: my dad's recipe is from his mom...he's half-Italian but not on his mom's side. 😄 (She got it from her Sicilian step-mother-in-law.)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Fun fact: my dad's recipe is from his mom...he's half-Italian but not on his mom's side. 😄 (She got it from her Sicilian step-mother-in-law.)

😄 Works for me!

I'm half Italian on my dad's side. I make my meatballs 50% pork/50% beef. 

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

😄 Works for me!

I'm half Italian on my dad's side. I make my meatballs 50% pork/50% beef. 

His are all beef. Except this time he forgot to add the cheese!

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2

Week 4 • Oct. 2    One Asterisk
16.     *PRESIDENTIAL PROCLAMATIONS - Both issued in April, 80 years apart, the first proclamations by these 2 presidents each declared national days of mourning (Johnson and Truman)
17.     THE 1500s - In the early 1500s he produced a codex in words & pictures on the flight of birds, one of many subjects that interested him (Da Vinci)
18.     AMERICAN IMMIGRANTS - His 1904 will stipulated that "all the sums hereinbefore specified for prizes shall be used for prizes only" (Pulitzer)
19.     GLOBAL GEOLOGY - In this nation of 360,000 people, you can walk along the boundaries of the Eurasian & North American tectonic plates (Iceland)
20.     COMPOSERS - He was given piano lessons by Madame Mauté de Fleurville, the mother-in-law of Paul Verlaine, whose poetry he would later set to music (Debussy)

• Thanks 4
6 hours ago, secnarf said:

1/5, in what seems to be my new normal.

Same!
I imagine I feel like my little 20-month-old grandson feels about graduating from the Waddlers 🦆 to the Foxes.🦊

It might be fun for us to come up with names for 1 - 5?
Or not. 😝

Anyway, my lifelong fascination with Leonardo Da Vinci saved me from a 0. As a young teen I had a picture of his portrait of Ginevra Benci alongside Napoleon Solo (Man from U.N.C.L.E.) and Tom Jones (the singer) on my bulletin board next to my bed. 

But never fear! I'm sure I'll score plenty of zeros soon; the curve is in no danger of rising too high. Most of us will remain in awe of our 4🎉 and 5ers. 👑

I will share my leftover potato gnocchis from Wegmans.
@secnarf, please save me a slice of your pumpkin cream cheese roll cake for later!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 5
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

It might be fun for us to come up with names for 1 - 5?
Or not. 😝

I was 1 out of 5 also. We’re that one odd dentist that doesn’t recommend Trident gum.

• LOL 8

5/5 with *
I literally hung my head when Friday’s category was announced, just knowing that my streak for the week would end, but luckily it was very obviously a French composer & deBusy was the only one I could think of. 

Happy Belated Birthday @ams1001! My meatball recipe comes from a local, long gone New Orleans grocery store. It was printed on their (paper, I’m old) bags, and it’s such a taste of childhood for me. It takes 6 hours to make them, and it’s worth every minute. They’re an Easter tradition in my 0% Italian family. 

Happy Thanksgiving @secnarf & any other Canadians here! 

• Like 2
  • Fire 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 5
  • Love 1

3 for me, no asterisks. I got Johnson, but not Truman. I ignored the math & "April" and went the synchronicity of two Johnsons.  WILDLY wrong.  But I laughed like a loon when I saw the correct response. Laughing's good, so I'm OK with being an idiot.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2

2/5 and I'll bring anything anybody wants as my frig is FULL of Thanksgiving food. Even the bar frig is full! Oh, and if anyone wants some colourful maple leaves, I have a ton of those too ;-)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie (mine is usually covered in whipped cream)1602926524_379990_UserCommentImage_ID-3981602.jpg.61b707f4f579788449c203990943649d.jpg

Thank you! I will take *lots* of whipped cream with my slice of your pumpkin chiffon pie, @Clanstarling.
And, BTW, for Friday I threw out "Mozart" at the last minute because I couldn't think of a French-named composer.
My 5th 7th-grade public school 🎼 🎶🎹 music teacher would be mad.😠
We definitely covered Claude Debussy. 
But my teacher would also be about 110 now. 👵🏻

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 6
57 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Thank you! I will take *lots* of whipped cream with my slice of your pumpkin chiffon pie, @Clanstarling.
And, BTW, for Friday I threw out "Mozart" at the last minute because I couldn't think of a French-named composer.
My 5th-grade public school 🎼 🎶🎹 music teacher would be mad.😠
We definitely covered Claude Debussy. 
But my teacher would also be about 110 now. 👵🏻

I'll take a picture of the real one this Thanksgiving - with lots of whipped cream.

You threw me a bone, there. Thanks, glad to know I'm not the only one. We might be the only two, but hey, "We're good enough, we're smart enough, and doggone it, people like us."

• Like 2
  • LOL 6

I managed 4/5 with 1 * (the April mention got me there at the very last second on Monday). Several lucky guesses got me through until Friday when I had too many French composers in my head to get it right.  

I will bring cannoli from a favorite Italian bakery.  Wishing all my Canadian neighbors Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
On 10/7/2023 at 7:32 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

3 for me, no asterisks. I got Johnson, but not Truman. I ignored the math & "April" and went the synchronicity of two Johnsons. 

Oh, good, I'm not the only one that did that, then. Maybe my mind was on home health care products.

2/5 for me, this week.  No *.

Given that everyone seems to have all the courses covered, plus mine and Prevailing Wind's apparent obsession with Johnson & Johnson this week, I'll bring something for the inevitable indigestion.

9d3d10e4-b9b0-5d12-b991-463f1f326b6a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 4

I may or may not have some time on my hands, but I was listening to the "Inside Jeopardy!" podcast and wondering if how I did at FJ! was correlated at all with how the contestants (as a group) did.  Since we're only 4 weeks in, I went back and checked:

Week 1:  Contestants 9/15 (60%) - me 3/5 (60%)

Week 2: Contestants 9/15 (60%) - me 2/5 (40%)

Week 3: Contestants 11/15 (73%) - me 3/5 (60%)

Week 4: Contestants 4/15 (27%) - me 1/5 (20%)

So, not quite as well but not too far off!  Since I'm tracking my score anyway, I may keep track of how the contestants did as well.

• Like 6

1/5 for me, which seems to be a popular table to my great relief. I swear, I used to be a lot smarter before I entered the FJ contest. In those days, I would get 3-4 FJ answers every week, no problem! Really! 

Sigh. Maybe next time.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

I finally got an FJ right.  Whoo-hoo!!!!  I almost changed my answer to Westminster, but I didn't.

I got the missed clues of standard and lachrymal.

I got the entire category of moist right.  Not sure how I feel about that.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
19 hours ago, illdoc said:

I think that's this thread's motto!

And now it is, for those of us who don't get 4s and 5s all the time, anyway. 😉

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Wrong thread!  Can we please pin the season thread?

Looks like the mod pinned both the season and the contest threads. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

2/5 for last week.

Sorry to be slow reporting, I was off the grid for a few days, which was very relaxing.  If I liked it, I'd bring some kombucha in the spirit of my hippy dippy retreat, but I don't so I won't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 5