Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 40 (2023-2024)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Conestoga* wagon (DD)

I've actually been to Conestoga Township, PA, for their Christmas events.  It's a charming place.

FJ was an instaget.  I knew the characters were from Rigoletto and it seemed obvious to me that the clue was asking for something written by Piave.  Given the rhyming requirement of the category, it had to be libretto.  Fun fact: Francesco Piave wrote many librettos for Verdi, among others, including the one for my favorite Verdi opera, La Traviata. 

This is where I should note that I've seen Rigoletto in person and that I know enough about opera to have a favorite Verdi opera which is not my favorite opera ever.  That would be Tosca by Giacomo Puccini.  So any difficulty I could've had with FJ would've been due to the rhyming part, not the opera part.  Had FJ been Rhyming Politics or Rhyming Math/Science, I'd have been screwed.

11 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I can always count on this board to make me feel ancient.

If it helps, I was 6 when he died.

10 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

It's very weak as a rhyme, for one thing, but also it is so normal to say that someone wrote <title> that I really think they needed to go harder than "it was written" to reasonably extract "libretto" as part of the response.

I don't think it's a weak rhyme, but the clue did require more knowledge of opera than a lot of people have.  It also required picking up on the difference between "written by" and "composed by".  I know that a poet would most likely have written a libretto, which are the words sung in an opera (along with any stage directions) as opposed to the music written by the composer, but I've been an opera fan for decades.  If one has just a casual or passing knowledge of the genre (to use Alex's favorite word), then that FJ was hellaciously difficult.  Like TOC-level FJ.  So although I got it right away, I'm not going to judge anyone who didn't.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I didn't get it either--I knew from the plot description that it was Rigoletto, but I couldn't figure out what the rhyming part was--but I think I see what they were going for. The hint was in saying that it was written by Piave.

If you were talking about the opera as a whole, you'd say it was by Verdi. Operas are always credited to their composers. The librettist is rarely mentioned. A few, like Mozart's frequent collaborator Lorenzo da Ponte, have achieved some amount of fame, but most of them are forgotten trivia.

So to specify Piave's name, they had to be talking about something other than just the opera Rigoletto.

As I say, I didn't get it, and I think it was VERY hard to even figure out what they were asking, let alone solve it. But I think that's the path the contestants were supposed to take.

Credit to Alison for at least coming up with something that rhymed (sort of, depending on how you pronounce "Juan").

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Would they have accepted just “Roseanne”? 🤔

I would think so.  But tptb didn't consult me.

• Like 4
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

The librettist is rarely mentioned. A few, like Mozart's frequent collaborator Lorenzo da Ponte, have achieved some amount of fame, but most of them are forgotten trivia.

Yep, the only two I know by name are Giuseppe Giacosa and Luigi Illica who were Puccini's most well-known librettists.  And I only know their names because they were the librettists for Tosca, La Boheme and Madama Butterfly, three of Puccini's four most famous operas. The fourth, Turandot, had different librettists.  (Just in case it's ever a clue when one of you is on Jeopardy, you should pronounce the "t" at the end of Turandot because it is Italian, not French.)

Here endeth the lesson for today. 😁

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

Would they have accepted just “Roseanne”? 🤔

If he'd accepted that, I think they should have let it stand, because he accepted it rather than asking her to BMS.  But I don't think it should be accepted for the character, only the actor (as she did for a while go by only her first name).

• Like 3

May 9:

70% / 68% / 69%

In J I missed one in Apps, Songs, From Ridiculous to Sublime, and More than 2 Eyes, two in Music, and three in Geopark. In DJ I ran 18th Century Science & Tech, missed one in Prisons (of three they got to), Pop Culture License Plates, and More than 2 I's, two in History's Mysteries, and four in Shakespeare Before & After.

FJ was the instagettiest of instagets. I turned 8 in 1983. All I wanted for Christmas was a Cabbage Patch Kid (he came with the name Marsh Barney...).

TSes: (J had 4 + the DD; DJ had 9 + 2 clues left behind) I got sawbones, Leyden jar, Galvani, San Quentin, the Rockies, and disciplinarian.

9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've actually been to Conestoga Township, PA, for their Christmas events.  It's a charming place.

I've never actually been there but my college is about 30 miles away.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I got lost down memory lane and said, "Beanie Babies."  I hated those Cabbage Head kids.  (Disclaimer: I had no right to hate them. I was a childless adult at the time. Still am.)

• Like 4
  • Hugs 1
  • LOL 1

FJ was an instaget, I have 3 daughters who were the right age at the time.

Shouted out Polkas as soon as I saw the clue, I'm half Polish and one of my earliest memories is my being a flower girl at my aunt's wedding and dancing to Polkas all night.

Also got the Basques, A Midsummer Night's Dream Weaver, Galvani and L.A. Law (a show I've never watched, but have seen the pic of the plate)

• Like 7
17 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

May 9:

70% / 68% / 69%

In J I missed one in Apps, Songs, From Ridiculous to Sublime, and More than 2 Eyes, two in Music, and three in Geopark. In DJ I ran 18th Century Science & Tech, missed one in Prisons (of three they got to), Pop Culture License Plates, and More than 2 I's, two in History's Mysteries, and four in Shakespeare Before & After.

FJ was the instagettiest of instagets. I turned 8 in 1983. All I wanted for Christmas was a Cabbage Patch Kid (he came with the name Marsh Barney...).

TSes: (J had 4 + the DD; DJ had 9 + 2 clues left behind) I got sawbones, Leyden jar, Galvani, San Quentin, the Rockies, and disciplinarian.

I've never actually been there but my college is about 30 miles away.

I got Cabbage Patch Kids polka and L.A. Law. I was too old for the dolls but my grandmother bought them for my younger cousins. I'm surprised L.A. isn't on cable with all the channels there are now.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Finally, a FJ that was right in my wheelhouse. I was a grownup at the time, so it wasn’t something from my childhood like pet rocks or slinky. But I didn’t have kids yet, so it wasn’t something from their childhood like beanie babies or gigapets or transformers. If I had thought of it, Tickle Me Elmo might have confused things, but it was “adoptable” in the clue that sealed it. 

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, kathyk2 said:

I got Cabbage Patch Kids polka and L.A. Law. I was too old for the dolls but my grandmother bought them for my younger cousins. I'm surprised L.A. isn't on cable with all the channels there are now.

FYI, L.A. Law is currently streaming on Disney+ and Hulu!

22 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Finally, a FJ that was right in my wheelhouse. I was a grownup at the time, so it wasn’t something from my childhood like pet rocks or slinky. But I didn’t have kids yet, so it wasn’t something from their childhood like beanie babies or gigapets or transformers. If I had thought of it, Tickle Me Elmo might have confused things, but it was “adoptable” in the clue that sealed it. 

My first thought was Beanie Babies, but I quickly remembered they were a '90s fad. I did think next of Tickle Me Elmo, but the clue included "these" which indicated the response should be a plural word. That led me to Cabbage Patch Kids.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I cannot believe knowing water consists of hydrogen and oxygen was a DJ clue!  At least it was only worth $400, but damn.

Jennifer had more incorrect responses than correct (five to four) and some of those wrong answers were ... let's just say interesting.  Isabella seemed like a serious contender until she bet big on that first round DD and whiffed it; DJ was pretty much all Allison, with Isabella rarely able to ring in.

I'm surprised the "sawbones" light bulb didn't go off in either of the other two's head after Jennifer said "sawmen".

I only missed three in the entire first round -- righteousness, The Monster Manual, and Shield.

In DJ, on the other hand, I missed three in mysteries alone.  I missed two each in pop culture and science, but ran the rest.  I don't often run Shakespeare categories, but that was a fun one.

My eye immediately went to "adoptable" in the FJ clue, which made me think of Pound Puppies, but once I read the whole thing I immediately knew it had to be those ugly Cabbage Patch dolls.  And that's what I said -- "Cabbage Patch dolls".  Thinking more, with plenty of time, I remembered the dolls were specifically called Cabbage Patch Kids.  Writing it down, I'm not sure what would have happened.

• Like 7
9 hours ago, dgpolo said:

FJ was an instaget, I have 3 daughters who were the right age at the time.

I worked at Sears (RIP) at the time,  in the automotive department.  Toys was right next to us. I remember the frenzy when they got a shipment of Cabbage Patch dolls.

• Like 8
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Jennifer had more incorrect responses than correct (five to four) and some of those wrong answers were ... let's just say interesting.  Isabella seemed like a serious contender until she bet big on that first round DD and whiffed it; DJ was pretty much all Allison, with Isabella rarely able to ring in.

Yes, I was wondering if Jennifer was stunned by being on TV and just couldn't remember anything, so she tossed out weird answers.  Rewatching that with her family and friends is going to be interesting.  As for Isabella, I don't understand a contestant risking all of their $$ on a DD when the amount they have is pretty substantial.  Do they get all caught up in the moment and just want to say 'true Daily Double' which many times is a jinx as in Isabella's case.  She sure lost her momentum after that.  Personally, I would want to take home a little $$ just to cover my plane fare and a couple of souvenirs, but I'm not a gambler. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

I worked at Sears (RIP) at the time,  in the automotive department.  Toys was right next to us. I remember the frenzy when they got a shipment of Cabbage Patch dolls.

I did not join the frenzy, my MIL found dolls for the girls.

12 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I did think next of Tickle Me Elmo,

My middle daughter was a child for the Cabbage Patch dolls but was in High School for Tickle Me Elmo. Which I would probably not remember except that one of her friends bought her one. I was confused as she was older.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Archive game for me for last night's game, as I went to see the touring production of "Book of Mormon."

FJ was an instaget, although I tried to second-guess myself with Beanie Babies.  I stuck with my first impulse, though, thinking Beanies were later.  I never wanted a Cabbage Patch kid.  I thought they were hideous, and I was not the right demographic anyway.

I also got the TS of Basques, polka, sawbones, Genghis Khan, A Midsummer Night's Dream Weaver, Galvani, and San Quentin.  I feel like I would have gotten scallops, too, if I'd been able to see the photo.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Instaget FJ last night.  I had children of the right age but fortunately I have sons and didn't have to do battle to get the Kids.

With "adoptive" in the clue I was surprised they didn't all get the right answer.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I hated those Cabbage Head kids. 

I thought they were ugly as hell.  Still do.  But I was a teenager in the early 80s and remember them well so FJ was an instaget.

13 hours ago, dgpolo said:

Also got the Basques, A Midsummer Night's Dream Weaver, Galvani and L.A. Law (a show I've never watched, but have seen the pic of the plate)

I got Basques, partly because I knew the geography but mainly because both Arsenal's manager, Mikel Arteta, and one of the most beautiful men on the planet, Xabi Alonso, manager of Bayer Leverkusen, are Basque.  Apparently that region produces truly gorgeous men.

I watched L.A. Law for a while when it started, so I knew that license plate very well.

13 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I did think next of Tickle Me Elmo,

That was the mid-90s.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

I cannot believe knowing water consists of hydrogen and oxygen was a DJ clue! 

I was confused by "inflammable air & dephlogisticated air," and never got to the water part of the clue.  I do actual know the chemical composition of water despite being pretty weak at science but those two things sent me off in some weird direction and I never recovered from my initial thought of "Huh?!?!?".

2 hours ago, laredhead said:

I don't understand a contestant risking all of their $$ on a DD when the amount they have is pretty substantial. 

I can see doing it if you're very confident about your knowledge in the category.  As I've said before, I'd bet it all on an opera clue, but would be extremely conservative on something in which I was much weaker.

• Like 2

I also thought Isabella was going to do well, but missing that Daily Double really seemed to take the wind out of her sails. She wasn't the same after that. It seems to have become the in-thing to "bet it all" these days, but that's not always the best move.

I wonder how soprano Isabella would have handled yesterday's opera FJ?

• Like 4
On 5/9/2024 at 10:04 AM, proserpina65 said:

If it helps, I was 6 when he died.

It doesn’t.  But thanks for trying. 🙃

I missed yesterday’s game due to a power outage, but FJ was an instaget on J-Archive. (They had me at “adopt”. I also remember the near riots, which happened for reasons I never understood.)

I would have recognized the LA Law license plate as well. I recently tried to do a background-watch replay of that show, but even half watching I was bored. It sadly does not hold up.

Aaand with all that, I reinforce my old person status. Get off my lawn!

• Like 4
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 2
43 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

I would have recognized the LA Law license plate as well. I recently tried to do a background-watch replay of that show, but even half watching I was bored. It sadly does not hold up.

Yeah, I think it was very much of its time and that time has passed.  Although it gave me Corbin Bernsen, Jimmy Smits and Blair Underwood, so I can't complain.  Also, the eternal punchline of Rosalind Shays falling down that elevator shaft.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

What was weird about Isabella making it a true DD was she said she didn't want to.  Which would make sense if she effectively had to (e.g. she was way behind, time was running out, so she had to risk it), but she very much did not -- it was early in the game and she had a big lead.  (Jennifer was in the red and Allison had $2800 to Isabella's $8000.)  If she didn't want to - whether due to a general aversion or because she'd just missed a lower-valued clue in that category two clues prior - she shouldn't have.  (In her position, I think I'd have wagered somewhere around $3000.)

• Like 7

Ken sometimes wishes the contestants "Good luck" before the game begins. I think he means that he hopes they will not make mistakes that will keep them awake at night, like Isabella's bet or giving the title of a book when the clue asked for the author.

Why he says "I'm sorry" when someone is wrong is beyond me, though; it takes up time.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Driad said:

Why he says "I'm sorry" when someone is wrong is beyond me, though; it takes up time.

Eh, it's probably just to humanize things a bit. Alex did it, too, though Ken doesn't have his particular Canadian flavor on the word.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Driad said:

49 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Eh, it's probably just to humanize things a bit. Alex did it, too, though Ken doesn't have his particular Canadian flavor on the word.

Yeah, I just figured he was trying to switch things up a bit, and not say exactly the same thing for each incorrect response.  Otherwise they could just have a buzzer!  But really, "sorry, no" takes no longer than "incorrect".

• Like 7
25 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yeah, I just figured he was trying to switch things up a bit

In Alex's time I would notice that he would have a phrase he used when the contestants were wrong but after a few months he'd start saying something else and then would use that one for a while and so on..

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

May 10:

50% / 37% / 43%

Yikes. Glad this is the end of the week. In J I missed one in Can You See, two in "O" Say, Prepositional Book Titles, and Pranks, three in Sports Venues, and completely failed Birdplay (I hate categories where you have to find the word in the clue). In DJ I missed two in Business Names and Art, three in the Southern Hemisphere, and four in the rest. Did not get FJ.

TSes: (J had 3; DJ had 6 + 1 DD) I got Mary Kay, Desperately Seeking Susan, Michelin (DD), and CVS.

• Like 1

i got FJ.  Not right away, but in plenty of time.

i got the missed clues of Roland Garros, Mary Kay, Michelin and something I can't read for the lif eof me.  It looks like Denobley Searson.  Wich is obviously Desparately Seeking Susan.

i got the entire categories of pranks and book titles right.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I was surprised Allison missed it.

I also got the TS of Thunderbird, Mary Kay, Desperately Seeking Susan, and (on a guess), CVS.  I suspect I would have gotten lark if I could have seen the clue and the pictures at the same time.  I could name all the birds, but with their whole names (i.e. Meadowlark), but couldn't figure out what they wanted without seeing the clue.  Burden of knowledge, I guess.

• Like 6

Instaget FJ for me. I read that book in the mid-80s, during my lunch breaks at a job I hated. It was hard to put down for many reasons.

Those people would have been driven out of Dallas on a rail for missing the Mary Kay question. I thought the pink Cadillac was more widely known. But what many people don't realize is that the salespeople who earn one don't actually get to keep it. They get a free lease for a couple of years, but then they have to pay it off or give it back. (Few can afford to pay for it. Mary Kay people don't earn that much.)

I'm really surprised Allison is still here. The collective level of play was so underwhelming in her first game that I thought she'd be crushed like a bug in her second. I can't decide whether it's a lack of strong competition, or if she's just a low-key genius and I can't see it.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, 30 Helens said:

Those people would have been driven out of Dallas on a rail for missing the Mary Kay question. I thought the pink Cadillac was more widely known.

I knew the pink Cadillac, but I was speechless when no one recognized the beautiful Ford Thunderbird, and then Allison called it a Corvette - ugh.  I am sooooooo old. 

• Like 8
  • Hugs 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1
21 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I knew the pink Cadillac, but I was speechless when no one recognized the beautiful Ford Thunderbird, and then Allison called it a Corvette - ugh.  I am sooooooo old. 

My mom did Mary Kay for a minute when I was a kid. I just remember her big pink case of makeup. No pink Cadillac for her. She still has a smaller pink case that she has used for birthday stuff (confetti, rolls of crepe paper streamers, candles...) for far longer than she did Mary Kay. The thing is over 40 years old.

• Like 4

I was pleased no one got Mary Kay. Decades ago, when I was still using makeup, I got sucked into going to an event hosted by a friend. Didn't take me long to realize there are no customers, just potential salespeople. What a scam.

I got Thunderbird and CVS.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
53 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I was pleased no one got Mary Kay. Decades ago, when I was still using makeup, I got sucked into going to an event hosted by a friend. Didn't take me long to realize there are no customers, just potential salespeople. What a scam.

I got Thunderbird and CVS.

1 hour ago, laredhead said:

I was speechless when no one recognized the beautiful Ford Thunderbird

I said Avon for Mary Kay (all those pyramid schemes are the same to me) and Mustang for Thunderbird (although I knew that was as wrong as Corvette), and a lot of other wrong guesses with varying degrees of bravado throughout the week.
But Wednesday I instagot the DD of Conestoga Wagon, Thursday I was yelling "Basques!" for the DD. 
Friday I knew the TSs of CVS and Torrid.
But Cabbage Patch Kids was my only FJ for the week — recalling how old my daughters were when Mom sent them.

How long do players get after they buzz in on a regular clue before Ken says "That's time"? 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I said Avon for Mary Kay (all those pyramid schemes are the same to me) and Mustang for Thunderbird (although I knew that was as wrong as Corvette)

Nope, I think you still get a Brownie point because at least you knew it was a FORD, NOT A CHEVY! Wrong decade, but at least the correct auto maker. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I'm really surprised Allison is still here.

Not anymore.

I watched with friends again, so didn't keep track, but had a good game and FJ came to me pretty quickly based on the year and "about true events".

We did better in the Birdplay category than expected, but all yelled at the TV when we couldn't see the words for the lark clue.

We also all (three of us this time) thought pink Cadillacs = Mary Kay was better known than it apparently is.  More than 100 pink Cadillacs lined the streets outside Aretha Franklin's funeral (given the lyrics of "Freeway of Love"), most of them via Mary Kay sellers.  I despise MLM schemes, but in a vacuum, that was a nice thing.

• Like 3

We've gotten used to long-running repeat champions, but IIRC, there were often just one and done winners in the past, and someone lasting 2 or 3 days used to be kind of a triumph.

• Like 1
On 5/10/2024 at 10:09 AM, Trey said:

With "adoptive" in the clue I was surprised they didn't all get the right answer.

I think they were too young to be able to place it. It's much different when you live through the time and have some kind of relative reference.

On 5/10/2024 at 3:47 PM, Driad said:

I doubt it makes a real difference -- although the rounds have a time limit, the boards are almost always cleared. Ken generally tries to be kind to the contestants but it does stress me out a bit when I think he sounds disappointed because he really thought they should get it.

21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Birdplay (I hate categories where you have to find the word in the clue).

21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I suspect I would have gotten lark if I could have seen the clue and the pictures at the same time.  I could name all the birds, but with their whole names (i.e. Meadowlark), but couldn't figure out what they wanted without seeing the clue.  Burden of knowledge, I guess

I didn't know what kind of birds they were by sight and I thought it a bit unfair to give us an audio only clue where the category requires parsing letters and spelling. I don't mind wordplay clues for variety but they should be fair play. (Do the contestants see the text of the clue as well as the picture?)

I was cheering for Jonah but I am satisfied with Will's win since he was leading and got FJ, and OK with Allison's loss since she was behind and didn't.

• Like 6
(edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 5:36 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

I got lost down memory lane and said, "Beanie Babies."  I hated those Cabbage Head kids.  (Disclaimer: I had no right to hate them. I was a childless adult at the time. Still am.)

I think you have the right to hate something, regardless of whether you have a personal connection to them. Then again, I hate many, many things. ;)

On 5/9/2024 at 5:49 PM, kathyk2 said:

My kids were slightly too young for cabbage patch, (which was an instaget) but they got Furbies. Those evil, noisy things. There's still one in our garage, staring at me, because the mister won't throw it away and it's too high up for me to get it and throw it in the garbage. Grrr.

On 5/9/2024 at 8:44 PM, Quickbeam said:

I am soooooo old. 

Resistance is futile. Lean into it - it makes it a lot better.

On 5/10/2024 at 7:40 AM, proserpina65 said:

I got Basques, partly because I knew the geography but mainly because both Arsenal's manager, Mikel Arteta, and one of the most beautiful men on the planet, Xabi Alonso, manager of Bayer Leverkusen, are Basque.  Apparently that region produces truly gorgeous men.

I second that. Every Basque man I've seen was gorgeous. Maybe we have a type. 😉

On 5/10/2024 at 10:32 AM, 30 Helens said:

Aaand with all that, I reinforce my old person status. Get off my lawn!

We didn't think it held up either. I think of it as having more refined tastes due to years of experience. 😄

19 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I didn't know what kind of birds they were by sight and I thought it a bit unfair to give us an audio only clue where the category requires parsing letters and spelling. I don't mind wordplay clues for variety but they should be fair play. (Do the contestants see the text of the clue as well as the picture?)

We were pretty ticked off at that one. It's one thing if you're just identifying a bird, and another if you're supposed to find the answer in the text.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 4
32 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

We were pretty ticked off at that one. It's one thing if you're just identifying a bird, and another if you're supposed to find the answer in the text.

There seems to be a preponderance of these "word hidden in the text" clues lately and I don't like it at all. This used to be a much rarer type of clue, not exactly unusual, but something that only appeared occasionally. Now, there seem to be several of these categories each week and truthfully, I zone out during those clues. I wish the writers would cut back on these categories. The contestants don't seem to be overly fond of them either as they're often the clues left for the end of the round.

• Like 8
  • Fire 1
On 5/11/2024 at 10:55 AM, chessiegal said:

I won't deny that Mary Kay is a black hole pyramid scheme for its sellers, but they actually do (or did) have good quality products. Years ago, I used to buy a bunch of their skin care products. I only stopped because the process of finding a seller and arranging in-person pickup was too annoying. But based on what I know now, I wouldn't wish that career on anyone.

On 5/11/2024 at 2:12 PM, The Wild Sow said:

Thunderbird as a triple-stumper?  Sad!

I love Thunderbirds. I'm not really a car person, but that was one beautiful automobile.  When Ford did a re-release a couple of decades ago, a nearby dealership had one out front on an elevated platform, a yellow beacon that was impossible to miss as you drove by.  I'm still mad at myself for not buying it. 

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Those were as creepy as Teddy Ruxpin.

Nothing has ever been as creepy as a Teddy Ruxpin.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Nothing has ever been as creepy as a Teddy Ruxpin.

lol...from Young Sheldon last week (the first 22 seconds or so):

(I didn't notice while watching the episode that he's missing an eye, too. Makes it even worse.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

lol...from Young Sheldon last week (the first 22 seconds or so):

(I didn't notice the while watching the episode that he's missing an eye, too. Makes it even worse.)

Too bad there's not an emoji for being horrified.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 4
6 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I won't deny that Mary Kay is a black hole pyramid scheme for its sellers, but they actually do (or did) have good quality products. Years ago, I used to buy a bunch of their skin care products. I only stopped because the process of finding a seller and arranging in-person pickup was too annoying. But based on what I know now, I wouldn't wish that career on anyone.

I'm with you -- I always liked the products but certainly wouldn't want to get sucked into trying to sell them!  

• Like 2
  • Useful 1