Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Pride Parade

• Start Topic

Yeah, loved Sean's attempt at attracting the LGTBQ crowd. Those "AY! I'm bein gay over here" shirts would sell like hotcakes, not gonna lie. Loved everything about the pride parade.

Nadja dying a virgin kinda tracks. I figured it was inevitable that there would be a Freaky Friday plot to swap the two souls. But yeah, I'm with Nandor, there was hardly a difference. Ghost!Nadja was just hornier and desperate.which made for great comedy with her trying to flirt at speed dating. But man, going after Colin Robinson? He's into it (BECAUSE of how fucked up it is), but he was only horny for the doll.

The two face Nadja and Colin Robinson was seriously creepy. And seriously cool effects. Of course Laszlo would be up for that technical three way. I love this show.

Loved all the vampire folklore tests, and how it devolved into a classic Nandor/Laszlo dick measuring contest. Triple jumping was a new one for me, as was only able to fly as high as the lowest cloud. Yes, the rice counting was real, that's why The Count on Sesame Street is a vampire obsessed with counting.

Poor Guillermo. Now he's got little bat wings in his back. And his sweat makes for perfect vampire sunblock. Loved how red he got for his first sunburn.

Next Week: Back to Little Antipaxos!

I want to se more of Nandor and Matthew, the little bird that flew into his room.

• Like 16
(edited)

So many great visuals in this ep, and not always special effects wise. Nandor's face in that go pro camera in space was hilarious. Lazlo's whole look on the beach was fantastic and I just loved how Guillermo (aka "gay guy")'s face went from sad to having a good time on the float.

And of course, shout out to Colin Robinson's face in the 3-way at the end. Daddy likee what Daddy like-ee, after all.

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Like 9
  • LOL 8

Every time I think I can't be surprised by sex scenes on television, some show finds a way to pull it off and a threesome between Laszlo and the combine spirits of Nadja Doll's and Colin Robinson in Nadja's body (all while actual Nadja is in Nadja's Doll body whacking them with a spoon) is certainly one for the book!

Everything involving Sean running for Staten Island's comptroller and trying to appeal to the LGTBQ members was classic "He a Little Confused But He's Got Spirit!" material.  I mean, I do think he is sincere and I think he's shown in the past to be an ally in his own way, but he certainly isn't opposed to embracing certain cliches and stereotypes.  All that being said, "Ay, I'm Being Gay Over Here!" is the clear winner amongst the slogans!

Definitely enjoying the Laszlo/Guillermo pairing and diving into the folklore stuff (wasn't aware about the counting rice story.)  And Laszlo using Guillermo's sweat to turn into a daywalker opens up some possibilities.  But I have to imagine that Nandor will find out at some point, and I'm not sure how it will all play out.

Already invested in Nandor/Matthew, heh.

• Like 11

Confusing, filthy, and hilarious.  Personal highlights included a tie for line of the night between Nandor (“There are qualities that cannot be taught…[like] being tall.”) and Nadja-as-NadjaDoll’s reference to “piping hot strange”.  I’m forced to actually award to the latter, as I missed some of the dialogue because I could not stop laughing.

Natasia must’ve had a blast with this ep.  That was some tremendous physical comedy; and all while wearing that dress!

• Like 13

I laughed throughout all of Laszlo's experiments.  I just shook my head at him having a plague mask.  I was expecting for his "Guillermo-sunblock" to fail.  It was so odd seeing him in the daylight.

I didn't really enjoy the switched bodies storyline of Nadja, but I was really disturbed to see Colin come out the back of her head.  I loved the reactions of the crowd at the end.

I was surprised to see that Nandor actually made it up into space.  I thought he would chicken out at the last minute, or that he would end up floating up there and be unable to come back down.

• Like 9

I had the same reaction as the Pride crowd to the Colin-Robinson's-face-on-the-back-of-Nadja's-head reveal—that was maybe the creepiest thing I've seen on a television show since Twin Peaks was airing!

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

The thing with Colin's face on the back of Nadja's head was just seriously messed up. Definitely got some Voldemort/professor Quirrell vibes. OMG, this show.

Sean asks if Laszlo remembers his bisexual cousin. Laszlo: "I certainly do."

It's funny how co-dependent Guillermo and Nandor actually are. Nandor even admitted he was going into space to impress him.

• Like 7
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

Nandor: I am essentially the KING of outer space!
Laszlo: Of course you are, Major Tom.

I was afraid Nandor was going to get hit by the plane.

When Sean was giving his speech to the crowd, I couldn't help but hear Anthony doing Trump.

Loved Laszlo doing the experiments on Guillermo. The sweat thing was very interesting, and it was weird seeing him in the daylight. I'm really not one to be amused by dick-drawing, but I couldn't help crack up at Laszlo's giant dick drawing and how happy doing it made him. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 7
5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Loved Laszlo doing the experiments on Guillermo. The sweat thing was very interesting, and it was weird seeing him in the daylight. I'm really not one to be amused by dick-drawing, but I couldn't help crack up at Laszlo's giant dick drawing and how happy doing it made him. 

Me neither, but this is Laszlo so it was funny. 

• Like 4

I think he did want to impress him. Yes, there was definitely a dick-measuring contest going on betw Nandor and Laszlo -- and, hee, I guess Laszlo won with his giant dick drawing -- but I think Nandor was fearful of losing Guillermo's admiration and affection. 

• Like 9

All the looks during the planing of the pride parade were priceless.

It's always so cute when Nandor gets jelous of Guillermo doing something with somebody else. That guy is really clueless about his own feelings.

How did the film team get the gopro footage? Well I guess, maybe the SD cards survived reentry, somehow.

Nandor sure looks good naked though.

14 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Every time I think I can't be surprised by sex scenes on television, some show finds a way to pull it off and a threesome between Laszlo and the combine spirits of Nadja Doll's and Colin Robinson in Nadja's body (all while actual Nadja is in Nadja's Doll body whacking them with a spoon) is certainly one for the book!

That sure was something. I think Nadia in a doll body hitting Lazlo with a whip is what tied it all together.

14 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Definitely enjoying the Laszlo/Guillermo pairing and diving into the folklore stuff (wasn't aware about the counting rice story.)

It's really anything that they have to count. Folklore likely originating from people with OCD. Grain, or more modern, rice is just a convenient way to distract a vampire, since you can have lots of it in a small space. Dumping out a bag will give you hours to get away.

4 hours ago, peridot said:

I didn't really enjoy the switched bodies storyline of Nadja, but I was really disturbed to see Colin come out the back of her head.  I loved the reactions of the crowd at the end.

I actually thought it was going to be the same old, same old, we know from body swap stories like this and at first it was, but then they brought Colin Robinson into the mix and boy was that a hoot. These writers man, they always surprise me. If all dramas had writers half as good as these comedy writer, we'd have a lot less duds on TV right now.

• Like 12
  • Applause 1

I watched the previous seasons on streaming, so I don't think I fully realized until this season (when I have FX available) all the raunchiness/language was actually on "regular" tv.  I think I remember hearing that The Americans (they were on FX, right?) were allowed one f-word per season.  Not complaining one way or the other, but times have changed!

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I watched the previous seasons on streaming, so I don't think I fully realized until this season (when I have FX available) all the raunchiness/language was actually on "regular" tv.  I think I remember hearing that The Americans (they were on FX, right?) were allowed one f-word per season.  Not complaining one way or the other, but times have changed!

I remember Vince Gilligan talking about getting one f-word per season for Breaking Bad.

I've only watched WWDITS on Hulu, but I was wondering how the language was handled on regular TV. Is nothing bleeped? Does the show air at 1 am? :D

• Like 2
1 minute ago, peeayebee said:

I remember Vince Gilligan talking about getting one f-word per season for Breaking Bad.

I've only watched WWDITS on Hulu, but I was wondering how the language was handled on regular TV. Is nothing bleeped? Does the show air at 1 am? :D

Oh I may have been thinking of BB but same point. 

And nope, no bleeping. One little blur on the full frontal stuff. Starts at 10et. 

• Like 3

Out of all the batshit craziness of this episode, I think NadjaDoll referring to Colin Robertson as "gray man" made me guffaw the most, not even sure why! Loved Gizmo's genuine smile at the end at being an out and proud Gay Man with sparkler.

• Like 13
9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

And nope, no bleeping. One little blur on the full frontal stuff. Starts at 10et. 

Yeah that was also on Streaming. I doubt Kayvan Novak was fully naked. They usually have modesty socks for that (yes they are really called that).

There is that famous story where Chris Pratt took his off on Park and Rec to get a more genuine reaction out of Amy Poehler and then got a strongly worded letter form the studio.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
On 7/21/2023 at 10:43 AM, peeayebee said:

Loved Laszlo doing the experiments on Guillermo. The sweat thing was very interesting, and it was weird seeing him in the daylight.

I loved the brightness effect they used on the scene where he first goes outside. It was really an excellent simulation of what it must have been like for him to see daylight for the first time in over a hundred years.

Speaking of daylight, once Nandor got high enough into orbit wouldn't he have been exposed to the sun?

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
22 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I can accept everything else, but who has a parade after dark?

We do in Minneapolis.  It's our Aquatennial Torchlight Parade that kicks off our Aquatennial Festival which celebrates all our lakes, river, streams in the city.  It happens to conclude today, the parade was on Wednesday..

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Nice timing. Comic-Con is going on now, and there's a WWDITS set-up outside of that. Turns out you can experience what it's like to lather in Guillermo's sweat and lounge around outside. It probably doesn't take out the hurt of the stars not showing up thanks to the strike, but it's still fun. And gross.

Sean, Sean, Sean. You're going to bring the Rangers back to Staten Island? Where? There's no arena on the borough that rivals Madison Square Garden. I think the Rangers are supposed to be standing in for the Staten Island Yankees, a minor-league team that folded a few years back. Naturally, Sean is clueless about politics, and he won't let that get in the way of being comptroller. And thanks to the season teasers, we know his run isn't going to be spotlighted for long.

Nandor's quest does bring up some questions . . . like how hard flying into orbit would be if you don't have to breathe. Putting cameras on him was a smart idea. Thinking about it, those bits could have been cut, and we could have gone straight to Nandor crashing the parade . . . but those bits were funny.

Soul swapping was fun, though I question the logic since Nadja and her ghost are alike. Colin Robinson would be weird enough to want to have his soul put in the Nadja doll, and we could have just had that. Nope . . . he "lands" in her body, sharing it with the human soul, and we have quality nightmare fuel of a Nadja with two heads. And then the scene at the end . . . Gizmo wanted no part of that, and I can't blame him.

• Like 3
On 7/21/2023 at 10:20 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

All the Mardi Gras and Carnivale parades are after dark - so, the really big ones.

• Like 11
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Nandor's quest does bring up some questions . . . like how hard flying into orbit would be if you don't have to breathe.

On 7/21/2023 at 3:08 PM, PurpleTentacle said:

How did the film team get the gopro footage? Well I guess, maybe the SD cards survived reentry, somehow.

I don't think that it did. We were watching Nandor while he was experiencing his ascent, I thought, although I don't know that a GoPro could transmit back to earth.

I am pretty sure that sound doesn't travel in outer space since there is no air though, so I think our hearing Nandor was purely artistic license.

• Like 3

We should now all be referring to Go-Pros as a 'baby camera'.

Nandor sure looks good naked though.

I immediately thought they were echoing Jeff Bridges in Starman, if anyone remembers that movie. 

Just like we had a season of baby Colin Robinson and then it reverted back to the status quo, I'm sure Guillermo's vampirism will be reversed by the final episode. I agree, most likely the Van Helsing blood is slowing it down. Maybe he will have to drink the blood of another descendent? 

When Nadja and Doll-Nadja switch she is wearing some kind of bloomers with a matching tunic. 

• Like 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I don't think that it did. We were watching Nandor while he was experiencing his ascent, I thought, although I don't know that a GoPro could transmit back to earth.

I am pretty sure that sound doesn't travel in outer space since there is no air though, so I think our hearing Nandor was purely artistic license.

I mean the conceit of the show is that all this is a documentary we are seeing. So the footage must have made it back to earth. And yeah GoPros can't transmit, that's why I said the SD card must have survived somehow.

If we could still hear Nando would depend how high up he really was. There is still atmosphere quite a ways up and he did start burning almost immediatly when starting to fall, suggesting he must have still been in atmosphere (though he must be really, really heavy to have burned at all). Also Vampires don't breathe, so how do they talk in the first place, if they don't move air past their vocal cords? Maybe it's some kind of magic the camera can pick up?

Edited by PurpleTentacle
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Just when you think that TV cant surprise you with wild sex scenes anymore, you get a four way thing Doll Nadja, vampire Nadja, Colin Robinson inside of Nadja's body, and Lazlo. That has to be worth a very confused slow clap. 

So much to love in this episode. Doll Nadja's mating dance, Guillermo going from looking long suffering to happy as he held his little "gay guy" sign during the parade, Lazlo being outside, which did in fact feel really strange. Although for some reason I was most tickled by Guillermo asking if him being a day walker meant that he's "like Blade" and Lazlo's reaction. He might actually be right about that, I'm guessing that Guillermo's Van Helsing DNA is affecting his transformation. 

Nandor is so obviously jealous that Guillermo is hanging out with Lazlo, he even admitted that he was going to space so that Guillermo would be impressed. 

• Like 6

I'm hung up on when Guillermo said he wasn't going to be around forever-- implying that when he became a vampire he planned to leave them. I had thought he wanted to be with them as an equal, not that he wanted to be turned and then leave. 

I kind of want to know more about what his plan has been, even though it doesn't look like it will work out anyway.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm hung up on when Guillermo said he wasn't going to be around forever-- implying that when he became a vampire he planned to leave them. I had thought he wanted to be with them as an equal, not that he wanted to be turned and then leave. 

I can't remember the context now, but he may have been referring to him just no longer being a familiar who did things for them.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2

Sigh, unpopular opinion coming, but I thought there were too many storylines all of which could be their own episode.  It's like I couldn't keep up with everything going on (oops, that must mean it's me...).  Really liked a lot of the scenes/stories but felt a bit overwhelmed.  Not a criticism-just a note that there were a lot of things going on.

Honestly Laszlo coating himself in Guillermo's sweat grossed me out more than the Nadja/Colin two head thing or the foursome at the end.

So I was thinking Guillermo had a psychological block to turning bc he really wanted Nandor to do it, but if that were the case, I don't think his sweat would protect Lazslo like that.

I'm really not into the doll and wish they would dump it. It's just too much of the Nadja character.

• Like 3
On 7/24/2023 at 5:03 PM, possibilities said:

I kind of want to know more about what his plan has been, even though it doesn't look like it will work out anyway.

I think Guillermo's plan was to hang with Nandor and company as equals. But now Guillermo knows that Nandor would kill himself if he learned that Guillermo was turned by Derek. So now Guillermo's plan is to leave the Staten Island vampires once he becomes full vampire, so that Nandor will never know the truth.

• Useful 3
13 hours ago, cleo said:

Honestly Laszlo coating himself in Guillermo's sweat grossed me out more than the Nadja/Colin two head thing or the foursome at the end.

I know it's a running gag that nobody ever seems to notice these people are vampires, so I guess it's consistent that neither Sean nor Charmaine noticed Laszlo was covered in some sort of white paste. Which also makes me wonder, if this was some sort of effective sun block then how did Laszlo wind up so sunburnt? 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

I know it's a running gag that nobody ever seems to notice these people are vampires, so I guess it's consistent that neither Sean nor Charmaine noticed Laszlo was covered in some sort of white paste. Which also makes me wonder, if this was some sort of effective sun block then how did Laszlo wind up so sunburnt? 

As someone who uses mineral sunscreen and have tried a lot of brands, Laszlo looked like someone who badly applied cheap mineral sunscreen.  Some brands do look like a white paste even after rubbing them in.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

As soon as Lazlo went in the water, I wondered if the paste was waterproof.  I guess not.

After the paste started to wash off, he must have had to make a run for it to avoid bursting into flame.  

• Like 6
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I figured the screen part was what kept him from actually dying, but he still unnaturally burned?

Like the other poster, I got worried when he went into the water. Does he not know how sweat works? Plus, I didn't even think he had it on his legs. I thought that's what the boots were for!

• Like 5
On 7/21/2023 at 1:20 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Disney!

Main Street Electrical Parade one of my favorite Disney World memories.

Loved Laszlo getting a day at the beach for the first time in who knows how many hundred years. 

Edited by RedHawk
  • Applause 1
16 minutes ago, RedHawk said:

Disney!

Main Street Electrical Parade one of my favorite Disney World memories.

That's true, but there doesn't seem to be any reason why a non-electrical neighborhood Pride Parade would be held after dark.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse